Who is your favorite author? favorite book? and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. ROMANCER OF LIFE profile image60
    ROMANCER OF LIFEposted 13 years ago

Who is your favorite author? favorite book? and why?

My favorite Author is Mercedes Lackey, and I love her style of writing. I love fiction fairytales, and adventurous stories. Her books always leave me wanting to read more. My favorite Mercedes Lackey collection is
    "Heralds of Valdemar." Just share a little about your favorite author, book, and a reason.

2. kulonuwun profile image61
    kulonuwunposted 13 years ago

yes.. i like Mercedes Lackey too (Heralds of Valdemar). I dont know why we have same favorite author and book hehe.

3. Powerful Pierre profile image61
    Powerful Pierreposted 13 years ago

OK I decided to answer this  My favorite author by far is Robert Ludlum. Buy it, get it a local library, or borrow a copy from a friend, this book "Road to Omaha" and you too will see why. He writes  satire comedic lines and scenes that you can just feel your part of. The characters ambiguity, and lifestyles will have you laughing, hysterically at times, then leave you shaking your head as he put twists in the plot that you just don't see coming. He 's written about  50 books (my guess) and he has never let me down in the 33 or so Ive read. You will often find his books @Reader's Digest Condensed books too, but his novels are AAAA with me.  ty PP

4. kookoo88 profile image61
    kookoo88posted 13 years ago

I like David Edding's Belgariad series.

The characters in it are well developed and interesting.  They are people I'd like to know.  I like the banter and humor.  The story is interesting too.

I find with a lot of books, that I'd do something differently.  In my imagination, I would re-write something I though should be different.  That didn't happen in this series.

5. nighthag profile image82
    nighthagposted 13 years ago

this is one of those question i normally avoid, as i have too many favorite authors to ever want to limit it to just one or two...
    but lately i am reading a lot of Sherrilyn Kenyon, and Laurell K Hamilton.

both authors write series's.

Laure ll k hamilton has two book series really worth the read.
    Anita Blake vampire hunter a series that runs over 13 books full to the brim with vampires,werewolves, dark magic, sex and danger

and for those of us that like our fairy tales dark and sexy, the merry gentry series is well worth the read

Sherrilyn kenyon's books are different, the dark hunter series's is a favorite of mine written over 10 books each book is about a different paranormal romance that ties in to the over all plot of all 10 books while feeding the reader with a juicy new romance...very well done with a full mythos dating back to the beginning of time... superb!

6. profile image0
    scriber1posted 13 years ago

Dune, and the Dune series, by Frank Herbert.  And because it's a work that intricately involves science fiction with cultural imperatives and the fraility of the human condition.

7. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 13 years ago

I read too many books and love most of them! The one set of books I read once a year and never get tired of is Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. Just too, too good and so different to our world......it's just like armchair travel only evil.........

8. jessyferari1 profile image60
    jessyferari1posted 13 years ago

I love happy ending type books, but i read a lot of romance by three authors that i love to death, i mean they are really awesome!! Jayne Ann Krentz who is also known as Amanda Quick. Catherine Anderson, and lastly Linda lael miller!!

9. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

My favourite author is George MacDonald and I have read his Lilith many times. I also highly recommend his books Phantastes and the fairy stories At the Back of the North Wind, The Princess and the Goblins and The Princess and Curdie. MacDonald writes deeply spiritual fantasy books that take you into another world he creates and it is not surprising he was such a big influence on many other authors including CS Lewis.

10. petertheknight profile image65
    petertheknightposted 13 years ago

J.K. Rowling all the way.  It's hard to beat the Harry Potter series.  I love it so much because it really helps you tap into your imagination.  But some other great ones that I love are:

Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.  Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye.  Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Riordan.  The Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon, Eldest, etc.) by Christopher Paolini.

Another book that is interesting and educational is The Secret by Rhonda Byrne  Also there is the classics like Jane Erye and Pride and Prejudice.  A good Christmas fictional book is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  Also, the Lois Lowry books like The Giver and the accompanying titles are great and insightful.

11. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 13 years ago

J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series and J. R. R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings two of my favorite book series.

12. Caerleon profile image59
    Caerleonposted 12 years ago

Jack Whyte!  He wrote my favorite book, "The Skystone".  This book is the first in a series about King Arthur, but he doesn't come in until much later in the series. It chronicals how "Camulod" (Camelot) was created  It also gives realistic explanations to the "magic" from this story.  For example, it will explain who the Lady of the Lake is and why Excalibur is so special.  Even though it is Historical Fiction, it has so many historically correct details you feel like this is how it could have happened.  Jack Whyte also has a series about the Knights Templar.  The last I read he was working on a series about William Wallace.  I can not wait for that one to start.

13. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 12 years ago

I don't have one favorite author. Or favorite book.  My tastes are so eclectic that I read whatever I happen to be in the mood for and that book and author would be my fave at the time.  That said, if I come across a Clive Cussler, I'll usually grab it and read most of it before I realize I've read it already. Guess you could say CC is my "comfort food" author, but I'd never call him "my favorite".  If that makes sense.

14. profile image0
    CroftRoanposted 10 years ago

Mercedes Lackey is pretty good. I have two favorites however. Roland Smith and Sara Douglass. Roland Smith has written the Cryptid Hunters series and I.Q. series among others. He originally got me interested in cryptids as a whole and his books are probably the only books that I can read multiple times over without a break. Sara Douglass wrote the Troy Game series and Wayfarer Redemption. She focuses on history and magic with hinted of other genres that I love. She is honestly my literary hero and I want to have a successful career like hers.

15. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I too am an avid reader.  I have so many favorites, it's impossible to narrow them down to just a few.  I do have a preference for young adult novels.
    One classic that gave me the heebee jeebs is Madame Bovary.  It presents a lot for society to think about!
    P.S.: my brother's favorite author is Ayn Rand.  I gave him a movie about her for his birthday, and it TOTALLY turned him off her!  Oops...

16. alekhouse profile image71
    alekhouseposted 6 years ago

I read very little fiction. My main reading interest is memoir or biography. I also write memoir so I tend to read authors who do the same, especially if their writing is colloquial, about family, or about food. For instance: Lee Smith, Ruth Reichl, and
    Jeannette walls.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)