Do you think age makes a person more mature?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (28 posts)
  1. sangre profile image94
    sangreposted 12 years ago

Do you think age makes a person more mature?

Whether you are 20 or 50 years old, do you think that the older you are, the more smarter you are because you have been through more in life?

2. Angie Jardine profile image69
    Angie Jardineposted 12 years ago

Hmmm ... surely one can't go through life without picking up all sorts of experience?. This gives one the possibility of acting differently (more wisely?) the next time something similar came up using the knowledge learned from those previous experiences?

Hopefully life experiences count as wisdom and wisdom is what is needed for maturity.

So, yes ... I think you would really have to have some sort of serious personality defect not to become more mature with age.

3. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

No not really, I have met some really smart and mature kids and adults whom couldn't make the right desicion if I held it up for them to read.

Life is a journey, but some are happy to stay safe and close to home and the things they know.  They live, love and work in that bubble and if the live to be 100 that is not a hundred years of knowledge but one year of experience repeated 99 times.

It is often said that you can never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes....

I have lived and worked all over the world, I have a wealth of of International friends many of whom do not share the same faith or belief that I do.

Age is a measure only of time not what you have learnt, some people will go through life with the predudice of their fathers while others will go forth with their hand out to greet all .

I like to think the decisions I make and the advice I give is wise based upon what I have learnt but I am smart enough to know that there are great many people younger and smarter than I will ever be.

The trick is not to let them know I know !!!

4. Pamela N Red profile image84
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Some of us learn from our life experiences and are more wise but not always. There are those who go through life making the same mistakes expecting a different result.

I've also seen some very mature young people who could teach their elders a wealth of information if they would simply listen.

5. ginjill ashberry profile image75
    ginjill ashberryposted 12 years ago

I agree with everything that everyone has shared so far. Some mature in the knowledge that they gain through experiences whether it is once or a hundred  times repeated. But this person may not be as matured emotionally to be able to act on that knowledge. To know and to share that experience with others does not mean it is the person's way of life. Lets just say, the 50 and 20 year old can both learn and teach each other.

6. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

I think maturity comes with experience and experience with age.  All things being equal an older person should, on average, be more mature than a much younger person.  That said, some people experience more in a short life than some that live much longer ones.  Then again, some people just never seem to learn from their experiences!  I think I'll shut up now. smile

7. Inspiration88 profile image72
    Inspiration88posted 12 years ago

Not really. It is not age itself that makes people matture, that is, wise. It is taking the time to think, understand, realize and appreciate things on the way. Wisdom is acheived by consciously pursuing it, not simply with age. Not all old people are wise and not all wise people are old.

8. Kamalesh050 profile image69
    Kamalesh050posted 12 years ago

Generally speaking a person becomes more mature as he gets older simply because he has been through life more. But of course this does not hold true always. I have seen for myself many people Who are 20 or even below can take wiser decisions than someone who is much older than him.

9. Felixedet2000 profile image56
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

It does in a way, The more the years the more the outward maturity averagely

10. leeroper profile image58
    leeroperposted 12 years ago

Smarter and mature are two different things, age only makes a difference if experiences have been had.

A 20 year old who went out every night compared to a 20 year old who stayed at home every night would have had very difference life experiences.

That same 20 year old could stay at home and watch TV or they could be sat at home learning.

Age is nothing but a presumption that is often correct but it can be a nice surprise when initial presumptions are incorrect.

11. Becca Lopez profile image60
    Becca Lopezposted 12 years ago

I'm rather young and yet I know a lot about life and know much more than people older than me. That sounds very conceited, but I often find myself explaining things to people older than me. I also think it depends on who you are around. If you have always hung out with immature people it will be much harder for you to grow up or become mature. I do think you gain more knowledge and become smarter as you get older. It's how you use that knowledge that determines if you are mature or not.

12. god and humanity profile image60
    god and humanityposted 12 years ago

Yes, it makes a world of differecne. But, a very very small perrcentage of people acquire maturity early due to upbringing and self grooming. These guys achieve success faster in their life than their counteparts. It is the maturity that brings steady thinking and consistancy. Father of political philosophy Plato said 500 BC that one would become a Philosopher after the age 50. In our practical life also, we find a lot of difference in perception levels between youth and 40 plus olds. But, todays youth, blessed with the latest technological advancement behave prudently, they can achieve success early and they can also bring peace in families and the society at large.

13. profile image52
    nandabnkposted 12 years ago

A 20 years old guy who learns from his mistakes is always more mature and smarter than a 50 years old guy who never learns from his mistakes.

14. funmontrealgirl profile image64
    funmontrealgirlposted 12 years ago

I don't think so,experience is the best teacher which make the person more mature on many aspect. Even an old person have an immature attitude and a younger one have a mature side.So age is not really the measurement of the maturity of a person it is the experience

15. profile image50
    Anna1011posted 12 years ago

In my opinion, age does not make a person more mature. For example, there could be someone who is twenty years old but has been through much life-changing events than someone who is fifty years old. Some of these events could include struggles with addiction, car crashes, losing family members, depression, etc. This could cause them to be more thankful for the things they have, whereas a fifty year old might not appreciate life as much. Also, some people are handed things in life and never learn the life lessons necessary to be mature. Additionally, there could be a child who is more mature than the parent. It all depends on the people and the situation.

16. Sunny2o0o profile image59
    Sunny2o0oposted 12 years ago

Wisdom and maturity are often positively correlated, but they absolutely do not have to be.

17. Hui (蕙) profile image61
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

For my part, it is experience that make a person more mature. Even though experiencing much does not necessarily mean aging, it is general that age means gaining more, including experience, knowledge, ideas and competentness. Therefore, I think age makes a person more mature.

18. meganliauw profile image60
    meganliauwposted 12 years ago

I don't think so.. Mature and age are totally different. Even younger person can be much more mature than the older person..

19. profile image0
    askahealerposted 12 years ago

Age may give a person more frames of reference, more experience to pull from when addressing any situation.  However, I've met 6 year olds that were more mature than many 60 year olds so at it's base, I'd say the answer is no.

20. profile image0
    Guantaposted 12 years ago

Not necessarily so!  In fact, I've watched some adults who actually regress.  I've noticed that as some people grow older they decide that they are going to do whather they want regardless of how it affects others.  i.e., bad manners.

21. stuff4you profile image56
    stuff4youposted 12 years ago

you've got to factor in aging of the brain (to some extent, once you really get up there) as well as people who waste lots of time, don't learn from their mistakes,

your question doesn't deserve a yes or no but rather, it all depends.

22. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 12 years ago

If it doesn't then what's the point of a long life.  Surely we are here to live our life in such a way that our mistakes are remedied by more appropriate or correct action.  It's said by some that our lives are a lesson; that when we pass all the tests we no longer need to reincarnate.

I don't know whether that's true.  However, I am inclined to believe in reincarnation.   You'll probably notice that some people come into the world and, even as youngsters have a lot of good sense, whilst some oldsters seem to have never really matured much.   Maybe there are 'young' and 'old' souls walking among us.

As a seventy-five year old, I feel I've learned much in this lifetime: the learning and utilization of skills, the gaining of values, the establishment of qualities.  All the sorts of things I'm hoping will be of use to me when next I'm due for a visit on Planet Earth.

23. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 12 years ago

Yes and no. When a person ages, whether it be at 20 or 85, it allows for more experiences to be experienced. I believe that it's the experiences and what you learn from them that bring on maturity.

24. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Age does not make a person more mature.

Age most often gives one more experience, but it's what we do with that experience which affects our maturity.

Maturity comes with restraint and humility. Some start life with this in abundance and possess great maturity at a young age. Some old farts become crustier and meaner with age, showing great immaturity.

Wisdom is also a key ingredient in maturity. One cannot be wise without humility and restraint, but one also needs knowledge and experience so that their decisions are based on fact.

25. tyler_richmond profile image56
    tyler_richmondposted 12 years ago

I think that with age obviously comes more time for experience and understanding which ultimately determine maturity, but there are people who "catch on" faster so i guess it really depends on the person

26. sugz profile image66
    sugzposted 12 years ago

no.. its lifes experiences and what we learn from them and put into practice through our lives that shows a level of maturity.
    my son is 21... he is very mature for his age and well respected

27. eye say profile image70
    eye sayposted 12 years ago

I think age gives you more life experience and I think life experience influences maturity level more than age.
    Unfortunately some younger people have had more "real" life experience than some older people and so they may be more mature.
    I also believe that girls mature faster than boys, even when they are the same age. The girls are more mature - they have processed their life experience differently than the boys have and it results in a higher maturity level.
    So I would say that life experience and it's how processed is more a determining factor in maturity than age.

28. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 11 years ago

Nope. In a nutshell 'age aint nuttin but a number'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)