Hub Pages is faltering?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (33 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image67
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

Hub Pages is faltering?

I keep seeing things on forums about Hubpages "tanking" or going down hill or traffic slowing or whatever. Is this just a lull on the internet since it's a busier time, or is Hubpages becoming a lesser place to be a part of?

2. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

It's really a very interesting time here at the hub pages. It sure does look as though things are going down hill, however I hope that's not the case. I've even written a hub about the recent decline which I hope comes to an end soon - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Google-vs-the-Hub-Pages  I'm here just for fun, and I hope you keep on hubbing  smile

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Hubpages has had a challenging time over the past 18 months.  Traffic was higher before that.  Google have introduced a series of changes to how they calculate where pages appear in the rankings of their Search results and Hubpages has suffered as a result. 

Hubpages have been attempting to make changes to win favor back from Google but it has been a long process with more downs than ups. 

I am cautiously optimistic about the future of Hubpages, but there are many who are less positive.

ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Surely it's like anything really, just the roll with the trends. That doesn't mean things won't come back around, certainly

4. JoanCA profile image85
    JoanCAposted 11 years ago

I have two accounts and both have been doing fine. But Google's constant changes are pretty frustrating. I'm hoping Hubpages can meet the challenge.

5. mattforte profile image89
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

This conversation is getting old. Omg people's views are dropping hub pages is failing blah blah blah. Google just updated the algorithm and it drastically changed searches. I lost traffic and have since gotten almost all of it back. Some people have improved. Your performance  hon hubpages has nothing to do with hubpages itseld...and everything to do with your own ability to attract viewers and adapt to Google' ever developing changes

That's basically what I was thinking, I was just seeing if there actually was something more to it or not

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow with all the experience you have of all 21 hubs behind your wisdom, lol.

6. Alexander Mark profile image81
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

It's discouraging to see my monthly "income" drop. I'm not against the changes HP has made, although I certainly liked the formatting from last year a lot more, but I think they may be trying too hard to make Google happy. For now, my opinion is that they need to do what made HP a great place in the first place and stop trying to turn it into Twitter or Facebook. Most changes are driven by short term profit :-(

1. mattforte profile image89
      mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How is it anything like Facebook or twitter? The format improvements aren't just to please Google...the they're to please visitors, and they're great IMHO.

2. Alexander Mark profile image81
      Alexander Markposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just saw your comment mattforte. A few examples: the stupid "like" button. Unable to find any articles that aren't getting hits on a person's profile pages. Maybe you noticed how content is centered with space on the left and right on this page?

7. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I think it is generally understood that HP is having some issues that are reflected in how well folk's hubs do.
    But what I do not get is; why there is so little direct instruction about what we as hubbers can do to make the situation better. Has Google implemented prohibitions on helping clients do a better job?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Be sure you read the Hubpage Learning Center Articles. http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents  This is all of the advice anyone can offer at this time.

8. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

I think it would help if everyone encouraged everyone else instead of complaining. My traffic is still good, but I put a lot of work into updating pages. It is important to keep the content fresh.

I've gone through losing traffic from Google several times and I complained too at those time. I stuck it out though and it always bounced back. Hubpages always works their hardest to help traffic return.

I suggest saving your content on your computer for safety sake. Then be patient.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This does away with the concept that was pushed by HP about passive income.  Not having to continually update your content to keep it fresh.  I have articles up on my own sites that are years old that have never been updated and rank well on Google.

9. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

I'm still relatively new here, indeed to writing on the web, as I don't use facebook, blogs etc. It does worry me slightly that people who say hubpages are failing may be part of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Surely if we all keep our heads down and do our best, things will pick up. What purpose does it serve to spread doom and gloom? ( Not getting at you for your question. There have been lots of similar forum posts.) Maybe I'm being an ostritch, but why fuel the fire by suggesting there's a problem? For all I know, this is the way of the web.

10. Deborah-Diane profile image83
    Deborah-Dianeposted 11 years ago

My earnings are down from last month ... but that is not unusual.  Things seem to go up and down on all the sites.  This income is not like a regular paycheck.  When one site is down, another one may be up ... or it may be down, too.  I enjoy writing, and it thrills me to make money from it.  However, I am also diversified on many websites, and I have kept my day job, too.  Just saying ....

11. Sinea Pies profile image63
    Sinea Piesposted 11 years ago

In my experience the better question would be am I faltering? It's so easy to get lazy or distracted when traffic drops off. At least, in my case, I've had fluctuations in how much attention I paid to my work.  I definitely want more traffic---don't we all!  But, to blame it on HubPages? Never! The staff is constantly working to give us a competitive edge, encourage us to reach higher levels of excellence and gain us good SE visibility. HubPages is fine!

1. aa lite profile image85
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not a case of blaming HubPages, but if you look at the quantcast data, traffic has really dropped the last Google update.  The platform you publish on is important, this isn't  just down to individual writers.  Hopefully things will improve soon

2. mattforte profile image89
      mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your own skills to write SEO friendly content and promote your work properly is far more important than the platform you publish on. There is a reason some hubbers get 10 hits a day from Google, while others get hundreds and more.

12. laservader profile image60
    laservaderposted 11 years ago

I have noticed it to, but this is because I usually try to update my hubs at the end of every month.

What do you mean you try to update your hubs?

13. howlermunkey profile image73
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

NEY!!! No Way. some people might be zoning on the wrong things (or perhaps better stated, taking one perspective) me thinks. Traffic will be up and down. I used to watch traffic. Then I used to say that my goal was to get to a certain amount of hubs.....but now, I'm doing one hub at a time as best I can and having fun with it. I enjoy creating hubs, and I'm focused on one at a time now. Traffic will come back, in the meanwhile your still building a portfolio, making connections, getting solid practice and learning from all of the other hubbers out there. And besides, ask someone with a couple of thousand hubs if they are sad about traffic ups and downs. If you build them, they will come wink AND...
    Have fun with it. Write something that you enjoy, with the intention of making a person laugh, lift a person's spirit, help somebody cope, etc.

14. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

Yes. I would just put the one word, "yes", as that is my full answer, but I get the message, "Your answer is too short. Please make it longer."  A nice example, lol.

15. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

My page views and traffic has been going up since day one and has never stopped moving in that direction. I equate it with learning and applying this knowledge as I go. However I also think that you should go back and improve hubs and constantly prune them like you would a garden, weed out the bad ones nurture your writing skills, branch out on topics, plant new seeds and move in different directions.

I haven't really put a lot of emphasis on money, just improving my writing and grammar, trying to implement advice. Be willing to try new ideas, keeping an open mind.

I guess just working on the things I can control and letting the other things work themselves out.

16. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

In my opinion hub pages is still a great opportunity to put out one's thoughts and articles, improve writing skills and connect with other writers.  My traffic has drastically fallen and my small income is 50% down from last month, up to that time it had been climbing by a dollar or two each month.  I don't think that is down to hub pages and has more to do with google.  I have to also confess to not promoting myself as well as I should be using SEO and keywords - just writing for the pleasure right now.

17. Joan King profile image69
    Joan Kingposted 11 years ago

I don't think some of the changes are working. The Idling of articles makes no sense to me. I have written for another site where I have almost 1,000 articles. I haven't written anything new for a year on that site because I was building my Hubs on this site, but still get a reasonable passive  income. The best thing is that none of my articles have been "unfeatured' and set to idle on the other site Even the poor performing ones still remain and still make some money, because  you never know when they will get a surge. If we waste time fixing articles which don't really need fixing, there is less time to produce new articles. Just my opinion.

1. Cambiojoe profile image61
      Cambiojoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

... and that other site is?

18. everymom profile image72
    everymomposted 11 years ago

Hi, I have not been very consistent at all - indeed, I've been downright inattentive - to my HubPages but my earnings are actually growing, albeit extremely slowly. I think we need to take the time to familiarize ourselves with content monetization techniques and optimize our Hubs. It's true that we should not have to update our content to keep it fresh or visible, but Google has updated to Panda (and I think also from Panda now, right?) and changed how things are done. We need to stay alert, write the best articles we can, then go back and optimize (the optimization should be our updating, perhaps).
    I have a question as well...on what other sites are Hubbers writing, to generate passive income? Thanks!

19. skgrao profile image65
    skgraoposted 11 years ago

We must take pride in others work, if some one you on the road over takes you it doesn't mean there is no traffic.
    Income - my fingers, I have 360 Hubs 50% marked Zz and 3 years have gone not a cent I got from NonSence. I have GoodSence and my pocket Full & Hot.

20. Gloshei profile image60
    Glosheiposted 11 years ago

I have not been on this sight for a while but for me Hubpages have never stopped keeping me informed with all the activity going on.
    Over a period of time they have had a lot to contend with and are doing their best, as long as we keep updating wirting interesting hubs it will bounce back that's for sure.
    What makes it frustrating are the earnings it seems to take forever to get anywhere even if you hub has a lot of viewings. Perhaps this is up to Google as well.

1. skgrao profile image65
      skgraoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It frustrating are the earnings it seems to take forever to get anywhere even if you hub has a lot of viewings. Perhaps this is up to Google as well.

21. sereseus profile image67
    sereseusposted 11 years ago

I am a new member but i can say that hubpages is a great community that helps everyone.I am sure that it will bounce back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)