Is Religion that important to a person?Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (31 posts)
  1. bituinolayquizano profile image61
    bituinolayquizanoposted 11 years ago

Is Religion that important to a person?Why?

Do you believe that Religion can save someone from being in Hellfire on the judgement day if you beleive in judgement day one.And can someone ding all that wrong doings but be in that certain religion call himself to be in heaven on the judgement day just because of his/her religion.

2. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 11 years ago

I don't know if religion is important for everyone but in my point of view I think it is. Religion allows individuals to know their roots and customs, they will have  a kind of lead in life, and know more about themselves and of respecting  other cultures too. Depending on the individual one has to find their own purpose in life.

3. Steel Engineer profile image80
    Steel Engineerposted 11 years ago

True religion, Jesus said, is caring for widows and orphans. God said, the fast he wants is paying fair wages and releasing people from their burdens.

I only see teachings like this in a very, very few places. First, individual Christians who personally know God and understand God means exactly what he says- in the Bible and in prayer. Second, missionaries rejected by the American church can be heard teaching the true sayings of Jesus.

The idea that religion is a philosophy, or just a basis for cultural customs is an ugly false doctrine of devils.

Pure religion and undefiled before God the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? (Isaiah 58:6)

Why do people love the churches and all the bondage and false religion in there? Simple: The same reason the Hebrews did not want to climb the mountain with Moses- people fear God. They want someone else to approach God, and to then just hear about it.

Thing is, rules never set anyone free. The point of the law is to show that. Only God sets people free- through Jesus Christ, the promised Messiah.

4. Paul K Francis profile image85
    Paul K Francisposted 11 years ago

Religion is important to me but it is not about hellfire and judgement day. It is about today. It is about how I live here and now.

5. Cristale profile image82
    Cristaleposted 11 years ago

Religion is important to me, but for different reasons. It is my way of dealing with hard times and a way for me to find strength for when I am weak. It's not just about a person's actions, but also their intentions and their heart, that play a roll during judgement day, which we all will have to face eventually.

6. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 11 years ago

My belief is that religion is not what saves us. I believe that belief in a higher Power will carry us through the hell that we face sometimes as we make this walk.
    It is what will save us from ourselves.
    I do not believe that attending any church any where is necessary. Although if a person finds that the fellowship with others who share their beliefs about faith lifts them up then that should be their choice.
    As far as heaven or hell, I believe that Hell would be eternal separation from God the higher Power that reigns in my life. I do not know what awaits after death....I speak of heaven and I believe it will be my soul in union with God after this body passes away.
    Those who do not believe as I do ...well judging them is not my place and throwing dirt on the wall to see if it will stick yields no positive results.  For that reason no mud slinging at those who think I am dead wrong will come from me.

1. glynch1 profile image66
      glynch1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which "Higher Power"? Just any "higher Power" will not save you.

7. flacoinohio profile image77
    flacoinohioposted 11 years ago

Religion is not that important for me right now.  I do know that my mother who is a Jehovah's Witness places a huge importance on her religion, she thinks that Arageddon is upon us and that she is going to be saved because of her religion.  Never mind that she is divorced, she has converted to the Catholic faith, abused her children, and committed adultery.  She puts her religion before her own family, claiming that we are all sinners.  The same goes for my father.  He is Catholic, he attends church everyday, more so after he had his first heart attack.  He acts as an usher to get extra points or something to be able to say that not only did he worship god, but served him as well.  I am not sure sleeping through a mass when he is not performing usher duties qualifies him for true worship in the house of god.  It appears to me that people are simply want to commit to religion for salvation after they have spent a large portion of their lives sinning and then suddenly become one of gods children when it suits them.

8. Ronald Bachner profile image68
    Ronald Bachnerposted 11 years ago

Religion and a relationsip with Jesus Christ are not the same. You will only be saved through your acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Savior.  God sent his only Son to pay with his blood for the sins of mankind.  He redeemed us and made us righteous with God if we accept it (sacrifice).  No one comes to God except through his son Jesus Christ who has called him.

9. craiglyn profile image53
    craiglynposted 11 years ago

No, I don't believe that Religion per se is the catalyst that brings you to Heaven.  I believe that it is "how you live your life"  with or without Religion.  I also believe that we will judge ourselves, and we will  be the harshest critic of our deeds, when we cross over.  I also believe that you can be Spiritual without really following any particular Religion.   My father never went to church,  but he was a good man, always helpful to neighbours and others.  Using him as an example has, over the years, helped me to understand this concept.   He will not be in a bad place.

bituinolayquizanoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks to your opinion happy hubbing.

10. remaniki profile image79
    remanikiposted 11 years ago

No, not at all. In my opinion, religion has the least importance in life. We are all children of God and we should all lead a good life being good to others and helping the needy. These virtues are acquired by good upbringing by watching our parents act in a similar fashion.
    I love God and have great faith in Him but I don't believe in religion. I don't think it is imperative to go to places of worship. It is important to 'see' God in every human being around you and treat them well as you would if you met God. I have seen people commit atrocities yet visit temples and think that their sins are washed away by these visits. There is no point in doing this.
    Love everyone and you will be able to live a full life. Religion will have nothing to do with the judgment day. I am not sure about heaven or hell but whatever we do will come back to us manifold. I am sure of this and this is my personal opinion. No offense meant to people who believe in religion.
    Good question that would make people really think.
    Thank you. Cheers, Rema.

11. tim30044 profile image60
    tim30044posted 11 years ago

Let me start by saying that I am not a religious person. That may help to understand my perspective.

I do not separate religion from a belief in God (or whatever deity). The belief in anything supernatural is religious, in my estimation. With that said, I think that religion is important to us because it gives us a feeling of security and a way to explain things that happen to us or around us. I suppose there is a plethora of reasons that religion is important to us as individuals. However, I see religion is an important step in our evolution. It marks the point where we were able to understand and communicate abstract ideas.

12. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image59
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 11 years ago

You have religion confused with the truth. Religion is man reaching up to God. Salvation ("save someone from being in Hellfire" as you put it) is God reaching down to man. Jesus Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the life...NO ONE comes to the father but by me." and that says it all. He did not say religion, any religion  will save you.

1. rdlang05 profile image87
      rdlang05posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting distinction. I like it.

13. Kahana profile image60
    Kahanaposted 11 years ago

Religion provides us with a moral compass.  If practiced as intended, then the world should actually be a better place than it currently is.  We all need to understand that every soul is interconnected and therefore we have a responsibility to one another.  The word of God provides us with the guidelines, religion or religions to be more appropriate, provide us with interpretations of those guidelines.  How we put those interpretations into practice are where we falter.  IT is not a case of religion failing mankind, but always a case of man failing religion.

14. cjpooja26 profile image62
    cjpooja26posted 11 years ago

No I don't think religion is important for this kind of judgement day. we all are human beings and God never judge a person by his/her religion. And who knows what actually happen in heaven? These kind of beliefs are made by all of us not by God.
    For me, religion is important, but not for this reason.

15. souvikm16 profile image75
    souvikm16posted 11 years ago

Am not quite sure about the judgement day thing, however I do believe that it's important for a person to follow religion! Religion makes a person responsible towards himself and the society in general. No religion for that matter advocates it's followers to fear it's code of conduct or principles. A true follower of God and religion ends up being more disciplined, trust worthy and lovable, the precise qualities which are on a decline in the stressful and violent world that we have come to live in!

16. GuardedMouth profile image61
    GuardedMouthposted 11 years ago

"I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father unless by Me."  John 14:6. 

Religion per se is meaningless unless you have found the one true religion.  That being said, Jesus promised that any who would seek the truth about Him with a truly honest and sincere heart would find it.  "Seek and ye shall find..."  Matthew 7:7.

This life is too short for us to put our priorities on the here and now.  One day we're here, the next day we're not.  "Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away."  James 4:14.

Without following the true teachings of Jesus, no one can make it to heaven.  You can be a great person all your life and still suffer hellfire if you don't acknowledge you're need for Christ and do something about it.  "and to you who are troubled - rest with us in the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven, with messengers of his power, in flaming fire, giving vengeance to those not knowing God, and to those not obeying the good news of our Lord Jesus Christ."  II Thessalonians 1:7-8.

So therefore religion is the most important thing one can have on this earth -- that is if he finds the true religion.

1. rdlang05 profile image87
      rdlang05posted 11 years agoin reply to this

excellent answer

17. glynch1 profile image66
    glynch1posted 11 years ago

I am having difficulty deciphering your "question," but I will do my best. No, "religion" cannot save anyone. I define "religion" as mankind's attempt to earn salvation or heaven by doing "good works." Not even if you belong to the right religion (Christianity) will trying to be a good person, going to church, or giving a lot of money to charity get you where you want to go. You must trust in Lord Jesus as your Savior.

Christianity is not a religion; it is a relationship with the living God. Only through establishing a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ will people make it to heaven. John 3: 16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten (unique, one of a kind) Son, that whoever believes (trusts) in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

1. Steel Engineer profile image80
      Steel Engineerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"If you love me, you will obey my commands." - Jesus

18. prasadjain profile image63
    prasadjainposted 11 years ago

Before answering this question, have you fixed in your mind about the definition of religion? If you are definite about that, then it is easy to decide whether it is necessary or not!
       As Swami Vivekananda put it- "Religion is what turns one from animal hood to manhood , and from manhood to Divinity."
       Religion is a set of values; it is a way of living.Is it not necessary for living?If you believe in certain good values/principles/proper way of living, then it means, you have a religion.As one Indian poet put it-'there can be so many religions in the world as there are people'.
        But,what set of values you choose? That defines, how good is our religion is.

There are many "bottom up" religions built exactly this way- collections of what is considered wisdom for a comfortable life. However, Jesus taught "top down"- He knew the purpose of many things, and explained them. Have you read Jesus' teachings?

19. rdlang05 profile image87
    rdlang05posted 11 years ago

I recently wrote a hub kind of concerning this, about salvation outside a certain religion, and I will be publishing a children's short story about the necessity of religion. 

Here's the thing.  Humans are both Body AND Soul, and both were created good.  The body is how we experience and take in information in this world, there's no way around.  The physicality of life is essential in worship Christ, because, while we are to focus on relationship with him, we worship through the body...song, appreciating beauty, clasping our hands in prayer.  All these physical things direct us towards God.  Religion therefore is an essential vehicle towards God... it is not what saves us, only Christ does that, and he can do that outside of any religion, and relationship with Him is what facilitates that.  Religion just gives us all the tools that we as humans need to be able to worship him.

Christ knew this when he gave us his physical body and blood in the form of bread and wine... these are physical things that we can use to remember his sacrifice.  There are other examples.  This is the whole idea behind "sacrament" (which I wrote a hub on too, if you're interested).

So religion IS important, necessary even....though Christ is MOST important.

20. kwade tweeling profile image80
    kwade tweelingposted 11 years ago

I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Are you asking for my personal thoughts on religion? Are you asking for a broad perspective?

The broad answer is, yes. People feel religion is important. Many people feel religion is the "key to salvation". Some call it "Truth". Some call it a "relationship". There are many answers here to clarify some of those points.

My thoughts:

A god who is truly forgiving, loving, and all knowing, would understand far more than we ever could. Including the minds and hearts of those he created. When all communication comes through the confusing mess of man's mind; to presume what he knows, wants, and expects of us is unwise.

Contrariwise, if he wants us to understand his desires, his message will be simple. And each person can come to it easily.

To me, religion is something people manipulate to excuse what they want. They don't usually think they are doing it. But the way we see information, one cannot help but skew it to fit their world.

If God is going to judge all people, we are foolish to interpret the outcome of that judging. "Judge not, lest ye be judged." And yet, here we all are, judging others beliefs. Presuming what God wants.

Ironically, this "judge not" mantra is creed in many churches that should really test themselves as Paul says to do, and as God says, "Test all things". Jesus also said, "Judge not by appearances, but make a right judgment."

2. kwade tweeling profile image80
      kwade tweelingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. The contradictions within the sacred texts are one of many reasons I don't subscribe to organized religions. Faith is something I consider valuable. Studying religion I deem necessary for growth. But blindly following any teaching; dangerous.

21. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 years ago

Belief is accepting someone else's experience; accepting it to the point it becomes imbedded in our own psyche to point where we accept it as true.  However, It is a thought sustained.   Sometimes it is a thought sustained to the point where we will reject something in the world that renders it false.   Many of us will reject an real life experience if it goes against our belief and this, when you think about it, is a sort of madness.

Knowing is different from belief.  Knowing comes from personal experience not the beliefs of others, or even the 'knowings' of others.   The latter, of course, would have to come to us only 'second hand' not third, fourth or ten thousandth hand-me-down beliefs that we get in so many religions.    Religion fosters belief.  Spirituality fosters finding out and knowing.

bituinolayquizanoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks you for your great answer.

22. bituinolayquizano profile image61
    bituinolayquizanoposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for the great answers we are all unique human beings who gives great answer voted  all your comments as i do appreciate them all.We all have different religion and different belief but what important is that we do good things for God and thats all that matters.Live a straight life which we believe is the way god wants us to live.Happy Hubbing everyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)