Is it fair if...

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

Is it fair if...

Whenever my hubby quarrels with me , he will change the wifi password of the modem and refused to let me connect to internet. He bought the modem and he paid the monthly subscription. He used this method to revenge. Is it really fair?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

Oh my! Peachy, I learned years ago to never get involved in marital spats of friends. Sorry, wish I could give you an answer, but I cannot. I think this is something you need to reflect on, talk with your hubby and find the answer between the two of you. All best wishes to you, dear.

Good luck with this question.

3. Pollyanna Jones profile image95
    Pollyanna Jonesposted 8 years ago

I would never "punish" my husband for quarreling with me. Having a difference of opinion is healthy, as is debating a problem, even if it is lively at some point in the discussion. My husband and I consider each other equals,  and I'd take this form of punishment as being treated like a child, or something that is owned and controlled. Try talking to him about how this makes you feel, and ask him to consider how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

1. Keisha Hunter profile image67
      Keisha Hunterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely love this answer. That's how I'd feel if my hubby dared to do something like that. It speaks to balance of power.

2. purl3agony profile image95
      purl3agonyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely!  Spouses should be partners in marriage together.  Disagreements are normal, but neither partner should be punished for having a difference of opinion!  Talking through your issues will make your partnership stronger!

4. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

It doesn't sound fair, peachpurple.

I encourage you to talk with your friends and family. They know your husband, and might be able to give you the best ideas about how to address this problem.

Good luck. smile

5. Cerulean Crayon profile image61
    Cerulean Crayonposted 8 years ago

Are there other ways you are held captive?

1. Cerulean Crayon profile image61
      Cerulean Crayonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Krillco has wisdom on this matter.

6. WordlawMinistries profile image60
    WordlawMinistriesposted 8 years ago

With all non-sense aside, you and your husband should respect each other's views and listen to each other. Think about why you both feel the way you did about it. You must try to be reasonable in coming to a conclusion. You didn't marry to quarrel with each other. Always try to show love in your talking without a bad attitude and never quarrel if you've had a drink of alcohol. The both of you should always be sober if you quarrel. Try to avoid quarreling with him at all costs. Many times, guys and gals do the punishing thing. That's not the way to treat someone whom you are suppose to love wholeheartedly. Lastly, seriously seek help if necessary. That would be fair to you both.

7. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

If your partner is using money to control your behavior and your access to communication it is called financial abuse. I'd suggest you seek couples counseling ASAP.

8. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

It sounds like your hubby is trying to control you by withholding access to the Internet. That just wouldn't fly at my house! Get him to a counselor.

9. Sam Montana profile image80
    Sam Montanaposted 8 years ago

No, it is not fair. Would it be fair to make him cook his own dinner, or do any of the things you do just because you and he quarrel. Now, if the argument is about you spending too much time on the internet, maybe talking to people that bother him or playing too many games, maybe it is then fair.

But to change the password just because you and he quarrel over something, no. Remember, you have leverage also.

10. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

peachy......Doesn't sound like things are quite "peachy" enough in your world.  Frankly, I have a strong feeling that you're well aware this isn't "fair."  In fact, it's terribly offensive and disrespectful.

I'm wondering what you hope to gain by asking your readers to chime in with opinions.  Sympathy? marital advice? their own similar experiences?

I must echo our friend, Phyllis.  It's a bit of a precarious situation to become involved with the marital discord of others.  95% of the time, it results in futility.

He's YOUR husband.  You know him best.  Apparently you might want to discover who YOU are and claim your fair share of dignity and independence.

Peachy, I hope you one day learn this well.  "People treat us as we ALLOW them to treat us."......Luck to you.....Paula

1. Say Yes To Life profile image79
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree here.  There's only so much we can do over the web.  I think you need to get counseling;  If your husband won't go with you, go alone.,  Best of luck to you!

2. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yoleen...excellent suggestion, but if Hubby of the year has a Gorilla lock on the funds and the car.....she's on her own.

11. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 8 years ago

It sounds like blackmail. I guess I'd try not to quarrel with him if i wanted the Wifi connection. You can always take something away from him, but revenge never solves anything.

12. Lady Lorelei profile image87
    Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

Sounds like a control game to me. You should both have equal rights within the home.

13. Venkatachari M profile image84
    Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

It's too much, Peachy! He should not behave like that. What if he pays bills or bought the modem. You are his wife and he should care for you, even if angry. This is not the way of doing things.

14. The Examiner-1 profile image62
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

When you can afford it search for a low price connection of your own, get your own password and do not tell him. Then every time that he does this you can use your own line. Your method to return his revenge.

1. fpherj48 profile image59
      fpherj48posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant!  A perfect solution.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image62
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paula. :-)

3. word55 profile image71
      word55posted 8 years agoin reply to this

But won't this lead to more conflict? They must work things out to where there is a happy medium.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image62
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If he does not tell her about the changed password then she does not tell him about hers. What he does not know will not hurt him.

15. linfcor profile image92
    linfcorposted 8 years ago

In a healthy relationship, this kind od response on his part could be considered verbal and financial abuse. That kind of control does not reflect a loving relationship. You should try to have a conversation about how you feel about this situation, If he refuses to discuss the issue, I would suggest speaking to a councilor or a religious leader in your church.

16. Sparklea profile image59
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Peachy I agree with Phyllis and Paula. 
    That being said, if my husband treated me like that I would be too embarrassed to tell others.  In my opinion it is emotional abuse.
    You mention the word, 'revenge.'  WHAT???!!! 
    What about your marriage vows which include the words, LOVE and CHERISH? 
    There is not one ounce of space in a marriage for the word 'revenge' if you truly LOVE and CHERISH your spouse.
    Years ago when I was really foolish and passive I would have probably blamed myself and put up with this awful behavior...NOT NOW.  I have grown and I would NEVER tolerate 'revenge' from one who recited his wedding vows to me. This is not love, this is not cherish.  I repeat, this is abuse. 
    Like Paula wrote, 'discover who YOU are and claim your fair share of dignity and independence' - excellent advice from her.  She is also correct in stating people treat us as we allow them to treat us.
    Marriage is for life.  Is this how you want to live it?  I ended my first marriage after 8 years as I did not want to grow old with a husband who treated me like I was pond scum.  Now I am married to a wonderful man who does love and cherish me.  It was just not worth it.  Blessings, Sparklea

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)