Can true love die?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (40 posts)
  1. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

my partner of 5 years has just broken up with me. I'm devastated to say in the least... It was love at first sight, and we are so close, we are going to remain best friends, and keep in touch.

We are going to save ourselves for each other for a year, to see if we are still in fact, inlove. We havn't healthy lives, no social life, get up in the morning together, go to work together, work togetherr, come home and drink together..I believe that we are soul mates, but the feeling is mutual that the spark is gone.

I'm hoping, and thinking that we are probably just a bit sick of each other, and although we can't feel the love right now, i don't believe that it is gone, that it can just go away..can it?

I have left him before, feeling that i didn;t love him anymore. I felt numb for weeks afterwards, but it all came crashing down like a ton of bricks, andi realized i loved him deeply, we got back together. I love him so much, i didn't want to live without him, and i attempted suicide, which had me in hospital on drip feed for a few days. (I took a lot of pills and alcohol) But i won't be suicidal again, i know that.. That was before we got back together last time, 2 years ago.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like an unhealthy, co-dependent relationship.  I suggest browsing through Veronica's hubs on relationships, they're great.  If none of them matches your situation, send her an email:

http://hubpages.com/profile/Veronica

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love is kind of like a fire...as cliche as that is. Once it's burning, we need to make sure to tend it, keep putting new logs in, and moving things around to keep the fire going. Sometimes it will smolder and sometimes it will be a full, roaring flame...but we make the CHOICE to do the work to keep that romance/love going--it isn't automatic. If we don't do those things, yes, the fire can die.

It sounds as though there are some deep-rooted family of origin issues both with you and your partner. May I humbly suggest some individual and couples counseling to help you identify patterns in your life that may be keeping you unstable, unhappy, and unable to tap into your ability to choose to love.

I wish you the  best of luck.

marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Last time i had 'counsilling', when i was about 17-18, because of my life, and the shit iv'e been through..My counsiller, a 44 year old man, ended up telling me that he was in love with me. Easy to see why i wouldn't trust that then.. I'm a very strong person, i was my mums mum by the time i was 10, i don't need counsilling.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63

I am sorry you had such a terrible and unethical counselor, but please let me assure you that not all counselors are that way...not even most of them.

If you are happy with the continuing cycle of enmeshment, co-dependency, and pain that you are living, that's your choice to make, although I must admit that from the thread you've started it sounds to me like you are hurt, worried, bewildered, and afraid--as many of us are, especially when it comes to relationships. I would never presume to tell someone what to do...However, if you decide you would like to stop that cycle of unhappiness, a highly trained counselor can help you. And you have the right to check out any potential counselor to see if they've been ethical or not in the past.

Just my humble opinion, you can take it with a grain of salt. smile

I do hope you find happiness and love.

Thanks for you warm wishes and comments.

I am scared, because i am alone. But that is choice that i am making, to stay where i am, don't know anyone, or this place very well. But i know in the long run it will be good for me, so i can focus on myself, complete my studies, save money, and grow.

You're very brave to admit your fear! I think you are right about growing in the face of adversity.

You know, often, one of the first things a couples counselor suggests to a couple is that they take some time off from each other to figure out how to stand on their own two feet. It sounds like you might be doing some good "self-counseling."

There is one thing I disagree with: You Are NOT Alone. *points to the other responses* I know we might just be words on a page...but there are people behind them thinking about you. If you ever want to chat, feel free to drop me an email. smile We're in a similar boat, friend....And that cruise, NOT a bad idea at all wink

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to me. I find it quite hard to make friends in reality, i'm a bit of a black sheep, always felt like an outcast. But i feel there are a lot of good value people here, whom confirm to me, that no i'm not alone.

{{{HUGS}}} I hope your heart heals. Be well, don't be afraid! I try to think of things as experiments...if they don't work out, well, I just chalk it up to experience--you'll learn from it either way, so sometimes we can risk stepping outside of our comfort zones.

Have a little fun and focus on you!

You deserve it.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

true love can die because emotions are not permanent, it changes

I hope you settle it soon so that you can proceed and know what to expect, Take care

2. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

you may lose someone, people come and go, but everyone you love, friends too, you love forever..I do not believe once you love anyone, in anyway, it can ever die.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

BC, but many people confuse love and infatuation.   Infatuation can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 years, and it feels very real and intense while it lasts, but it can certainly die.

It's definately not infatuation. Things have never been easy for us, we have been to hell and back, time and time again, together during our relationship. Our love has been so strong up until recently.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Marcel, it's this new "reply" thing - I was actually responding to BC's comment on love. 

It does concern me that you say you ended up without a social life because you moved together to a foreign country.

I've lived abroad,and I can tell you that time and again, I've seen expatriates form a close bond because they feel alien in their new land.  What keeps them together is not love of each other, but fear of the big world out there.  They row repeatedly because they're not well-suited, but when they try to split up, the terror of being alone in a strange land means they run back to the shelter of their dysfunctional relationship.

I have no idea whether that applies to you.  It's just something for you to think about.

4. marcel285 profile image64

Yeah we both knew, and always admitted that it was unhealthy. But it was a matter of circumstance. Couldn't be helped really. We are young, and decided to move to another country, where we knew no-one and had nothing but the clothes on our backs practically.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your relation is unhealthy, it will die eventually. Because it'll get even more unhealthy, or because one of you gets cured.

5. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

If it was true love, it will take time to heal, but the love won't die.  My love of 5 years are the bestest of friends now.  I wouldn't trade the relationship we have now for the world.  Horrible boyfriend...wonderful best friend!!

6. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Marcel, you said: “I have left him before, feeling that i didn;t love him anymore. I felt numb for weeks afterwards, but it all came crashing down like a ton of bricks, andi realized i loved him deeply, we got back together. I love him so much, i didn't want to live without him, and i attempted suicide, which had me in hospital on drip feed for a few days. (I took a lot of pills and alcohol) But i won't be suicidal again, i know that.. That was before we got back together last time, 2 years ago.”

And then you said: “Our love has been so strong up until recently.”

These statements don’t make sense to me…For your own sake, can you clarify when you perceive problems began in your relationship?

Well that time that i left him..I was a naieve small town girl, who got caught up in the wrong scene, with the wrong crowd. I was working in a bar..An older man manipulated me, told me hoe special i was, blah blah bah, made me all these promsises like 'Anything you want, i will give you, i can give you these things that rob can't.' Plus, at that time in my life, i was dellusional as hell, living on BZP and alcohol. Had i been in my right state of mind, and had people not tried to take advantage of me, i wouldn't have left him.

7. coletta7 profile image61
    coletta7posted 14 years ago

true love is endless.

8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

marcel, I think you need to take a cruise or take up some other group activity where you get to meet a lot of new people.  Sometimes you can wear love out because the relationship has no space to breathe.

Just saying.

You are right about that. Thanks for your input. Sadly that's whats happened. Havn't had room to breathe, very unfortunate because i feel that we are soul mates.

9. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

And just for my own comfort:

Seeking counseling does not make one weak, it does not mean that you're not capable of taking care of problems, it does not mean you're crazy.

In most cases, seeking counseling just means that one is willing to work with an expert on things they would like to change in their life, but aren't sure how to go about doing it.

I am a very strong person. I became stronger when I was fifteen as a result of my first counseling experience that lasted about a year and a half; like you, I was mother's mother (and my brother's mother) at the age of ten. I became even stronger last week when I went through five days of intense group therapy with colleagues...and I intend to get even stronger as I seek personal growth counseling with a group here in my hometown as soon as possible.

It sounds like we have some things in common...Strangely enough, I am in a five year old relationship with my boyfriend--we are on the rocks as well; "the spark" seems to have gone. Interesting, don't you think, that we share similar childhood features. Perhaps we struggle with intimacy because of things from our past? This is why I'd like to explore myself more.

10. Mrscicero profile image60
    Mrsciceroposted 14 years ago

My own belief is that love is the only thing that never dies. It can be suppressed, squashed -- by fear, by having secrets, by breaking trust -- but it really never dies. But it demands a great inner strength to live up to love. It's not easy. It requires that you know who you are and value yourself. Without that, love can't really take root. Take care of yourself, love yourself, strengthen yourself, become as honest as you can bear to be. Then love is possible, and it won't die. That isn't to say that what you've experienced up to now isn't love. My guess would be that it is. (Unfortunately, that isn't any guarantee that you can make a life together that works.)

Thanks, you are right also. That's the thing, we both need to grow. Plus, i have cheated and had secrets in the past, clearly my partner has not fully forgiven me for those things. But he does know that i'm not that person anymore.

He's helping me get sorted , moving into a new place, and such like before he goes. So it's not so bad. I'm glad, and so greatful that there is no bitterness.

11. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

unfortunately many times over

12. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

True love I know can die, well for me anyway, if the break-up was shattering.
    Especially when that person breaks your heart...
    Grief, regret, pain is replaced by a heart of indifference after time..

Thank god for new love born in the heart.

Bp- When true love died for you, did you believe that this person was your soul mate? I just believe that he is my soul mate, because he's the only person in my life who's actually ever really known me, the real me. We clicked straight away, and it was love at first sight..

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I really believed this guy was my soul mate so much in fact I wrote a hub about him, Love Is More Intoxicating Than Wine. There was an enormous amount of love on both sides. My heart fell out of my chest when he was near.
        However just when we were ready to spend the rest of our life together he left.
        Love can be sweet, but love can also turn sour for reasons no-one ever fully understands.
        As I always say;

As butterflies do spread their wings,
        Love, again,will well within.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/LaGambler4/IN%20THESE%20HANDS/Butterfly.gif

13. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Only if you beat it with a stick or you give your partner AIDS!

14. marcel285 profile image64

Btw, i'm not giving up on him. I want to get him back, down the track, when we have both grown more. I'm not feeling the love as such right now, but we still do love each  other deeply, and if we are in fact soul mates, i believe that love will return. Absance makes the heart grow fonder, i know that from the last time we broke up for a while, 2 years ago.

15. marcel285 profile image64

Thanks Pretty

16. marcel285 profile image64

You are right too Tantrum, that's exactly what happened!

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I'm sorry about that ! sad

17. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Can true Love die?

Yes, it happens all the time.

18. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Being in love is a wonderful thing, however, the common belief of "made for each other" or "soul mates" can be a very deceiving doctrine.  We are all individuals who are entitled to the liberty of the agency of choice and accountability.  A relationship cannot be 50/50.  It must be 100/100 from both partners.  This effort is what defines who is "made" for us.  Through trials, conflicts, triumphs, laughs and love we configure our lives to accomodate each other.

If this is not taking place in your life then either work harder at the relationship or get out of it.  You both deserve someone who is willing to give 100% and you in return.  It matters not how long you've known somebody or how "in tune" you both are.  It's a tough lesson but any man on Earth and any woman on Earth can make a relationship work if they both give there all every minute of every day of their lives.

19. Sunshiney31 profile image67
    Sunshiney31posted 14 years ago

Some people grow and cure and some people drown in their emptyness.So don't drown with em...

20. marcel285 profile image64

Thanks everyone. It's sad, it makes me sad to realize that love can die. I thought i was going to be spending the rest of my life with this guy. Oh well, what don't kill us will only make us stronger.

1. blondepoet profile image68
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats so right and we do become stronger....
      I send you a huge hug. xoxox

21. marcel285 profile image64

You people are awesome! xoxox

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)