Baby Names

Jump to Last Post 1-48 of 48 discussions (73 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

For those of you who preplanned your children's names, or at least thought that you were planning them, did you keep the names or did you end up using different names?

And by preplanning, I mean like before you even got pregnant but were just thinking about having children?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Whitney, We adopted our son and kept his name  as since we were so blessed by the gift that we recieved, we felt that keeping his name would be an honorable thing to do. For a mother to give birth and then to have to let go , is the hardest thing to do. I hope that one day our son can meet his natural mother again , and they will have a good relationship between them. smile

2. Gardnercs profile image60
    Gardnercsposted 15 years ago

Yes I have i had always wanted to name my son Lyn'shawne Jaden ........ from the age of 16 and i did a few years later.

3. anngell_22 profile image57
    anngell_22posted 15 years ago

Now i am pregnant and , I really don not now what name to give to my babie. The doctors told me that will be a girl, I like a lot of names, but I can not make a pact with my husband, he does not like the names that I like... So I will just wait until I will born....smile

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My sister had the same problem between her and her husband.  They couldn't agree on a name, no matter how hard they tried.  He hated everything she suggested, and his suggestions were just strange.  NO one liked them.  LOL!  They finally settled on a name about a week before their daughter was born.  They went with Madison.

1. AngelWings75 profile image60
        AngelWings75posted 15 years agoin reply to this

When I was young and before children, I used to say I would name my girl Tiranny Anastasia, it's very different, but I like how it sounds. It's pronounced, T e a r a n n i e. I love it! If a boy, I was going to name him Colton. Well, I ended up having two girls, and I named them Brittany Sierra and Meaghan Kylie. Never had a boy, and I can't have anymore children, so,,,,, anyway, good luck!smile

1. LondonGirl profile image82
          LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm very suspicious of names where you have to say, "it's pronounced XXX". Lifetime of mis-spellings and frustration ahead, I reckon.

"Brittany Sierra and Meaghan Kylie"

Hope you don't live in the UK! Here, they'd be chav-central names.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
        mistyhorizon2003posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is so bizarre. My Husband and I have said that is what we would call our little girl (if I ever get pregnant and the baby is a girl). I found the name, and he loved it. The only problem I can find with that name is it's actual meaning is 'Son of Matthew', and my Husband is called Richard LOL.

I can see another problem. She's a girl, not a son of anyone!

I don't like Madison, it sounds very masculine to me.

2. THE LIP profile image61
      THE LIPposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Until you can get your hubby to sign a pact to allow you to name the baby maybe you could cajole him into agreeing that if it's a pink(girl)you keep the name of your choice and he shall not grumble but if it is blue(boy) he will name him as he deems fit and you shall not fume and fret.
      Isn't that fair enough for both of you and remember there will(hopefully)always be a next chance.Then the other partner names the baby irrespective of whether it's blue or black(oops pink)!!!
      If even that does not settle the matter then maybe you could give your baby doll an Eastern Name-"ANAMIKA" which actually means someone who is nameless!!! Believe me ur baby will have a unique name till you can coin a name that you both cherish equally..What say?!!!
      THE LIP

4. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I think I had names picked out years before I ever got pregnant, but I ended up picking names after I found out I was pregnant.  I had had Caleb picked out as a boy's name, but after my grandfather passed away (I was pregnant at the time), I opted to use my grandfather's name instead. 

As for my daughter, I did not use the girl name that I had picked out years before.  I named her after my great-grandmother.

5. TravelMonkey profile image62
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I have names in mind and intend to use them once my child is born. Although a passing of a loved one may  intercept this.

6. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Yeah, I always liked Matilda for a girl and Elliott for a boy. 3 years I got the Matilda (Tilly) and hopefully I'll get Elliott at some point. Thankfully my partner loves the names too so I shall hopefully get my wish!

And congratulations and good luck Anngell_22

7. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I can not address this question seriously because I listened to the Dane Cook joke about names.

Its called: My Son Optimus Prime By Dane Cook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G366RqJftlE

~thranax~

8. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

One can choose a name starting with alphabets A,B or C. It will help your child through out his/her life because in most of the lists  they go alphabetic and your child's name will come in the top or near that automatically.
    Just like front page of a search engine.

In India, baby names are decided with their Zodiac signs and in most of the cases it is suggested in the horoscope.

Jyoti kothari

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, I didn't know that.

~thranax~

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Usually in terms of listing and order, that all goes by last name, not first. IE in school, you are typically put in order by last name not first. When being called in order in official business, it's usually last name. You could name your kid Zoe Alexander, and the kid would generally be called first because of Alexander being the last name, versus last because Zoe is at the end of the alphabet.

9. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

WE didn't know if our baby was a boy or girl until he was born. We had a girl's name ready, but hadn't agreed on a boy's name, and had to decide the night before his brit (Jewish circumcision and welcome-to-the-world ceremony).

10. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

Can I suggest some Indian name for a boy?

Anil (water) AAkash(Sky), Arun(sun) Ajay (can not be conquered), Amit (infinite),

Barun(god of air),Bajra(Thunder), Bajrang(the mighty body),Balkishan(baby lord Krishna)

Jyoti Kothari

Those are nice names big_smile

~thranax~

2. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

this is really great and amazing.thanx a lot for such a nice sharing...so you have any website regarding this information..because i want to knwo more about names and all.
      thanx

1. countrywomen profile image59
        countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you are looking for general baby names then http://www.babynames.com/
        but if you are looking for exotic (i.e., Indian names) then http://www.modernindianbabynames.com/
        big_smile big_smile big_smile

11. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

It seems that you are started loving India. Wanna come here? Economic growth in India is also amazing. It was more than 9% last year, 2nd highest in the world.
    So nice place for the Americans in financial crisis.

Jyoti kothari

I don't want to learn any other language then English, so moving out of USA to anywhere other then UK or Australia seem slim.

~thranax~

New Zealand? Canada? Ireland? South Africa?

12. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

@Thranax - Lol, I don't know mate, I've done some traveling and sometimes I understand the English in other countries better than I do in ENGLAND! I was amazed at the Ducth a few years ago, it seems that from a young age (I think 3 but maybe wrong) they start learning English, and its common for the mother to talk to them in Dutch during the day and their Father will come home from work and speak in only English so they can practice both languages each day.

@LondonGirl - I think not knowing is the best way, its a very traditional way to view child birth. Plus its a nice surprise!

After all that effort, it was nice to have a factual revelation to look forward to!

13. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

In my husband's culture, you don't think about the baby's name at all until after it's born, so getting any kind of input from him when I was pregnant was like pulling teeth. Fortunately, I'd spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of names I like thanks to my fiction writing, so I had a first choice and several secondary choices picked out pretty quickly for a girl. but he had some reason to reject every single boy's name I ever suggested to him, and I still don't know what we would have done if she had been a boy. (We didn't know in advance either.) We did end up giving her my first choice girl's name and it's turned out to be perfect on multiple levels for her - couldn't have fit her better if we'd known her in advance.

14. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61

There is a large number of people in India speaking English even more than UK!!!
      And i suggest you to learn some Indian language as we learned English.

Jyoti Kothari

15. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 15 years ago

We never knew what our child would be so we had to have two names picked out. I went through every book I could find including the tv guide looking for names. We named our son Troy when there were no Troy's around from there we went with all T's for our kids.
    One thing we had a favorite boy's name picked out for our second child but we ended up having a girl. Then a friend of ours had a boy and what did they do they used our favorite boy's name and when our second son was born we had to figure out a different name. I have to tell you I wasn't happy. Keep your favorite names to yourself or someone will use them for sure.

16. Rangerwife profile image60
    Rangerwifeposted 15 years ago

I kept the name.  I thought about changing it at the end of the pregnancy, but knew I would later regret it if I did.  I'm glad I stuck with it.

17. zenzer profile image61
    zenzerposted 15 years ago

When I was pregnant for the first time with my daughter, I did not like the idea of picking out the name before she was born. It just kind of felt weird for some reason. So, we brought a list of our top 10 names with us to the hospital. However, at the time, we were both leaning towards one of the names and kind of thought that would be it, we even told the nurse. But after she was born, it did not feel right anymore. We took almost a whole day and went through the list again, deciding on a different name. And now I feel GREAT about that decision and love her name!

With my son, we did pick out the name before hand (it's my father-in-laws nickname) - but we did not tell a soul until the second he was born. For some reason, it felt ok to know the name, as long as no one else did smile

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL pretty much what we had with both kids smile

18. Refster profile image59
    Refsterposted 15 years ago

I had names picked out before I ever got married. Didn't go with any of them. Don't think my wife had any in mind before me.
    After being married we had names in mind for a boy or girl and didn't go with it for either of our children.

19. LondonGirl profile image82

Had our son been a girl, she'd have been called Hannah Elizabeth.

He is actually called Isaac Alun.

20. mhei profile image60
    mheiposted 15 years ago

i had a lot of names in my mind months before my son was born.  Oh, let me say that even when I was still single, I have baby names listed. I didn't use 'em lol

21. profile image49
    jasamposted 15 years ago

I Had my own little rule when naming my two daughters. Their middle names had to start with the same letter as their first name, and had to consist of one syllable: Jasmin Joyce & Samantha Shayne.

22. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

I'm coming into this discussion quite late, it seems (like 17 years late, as my only child is almost 17:). My two cents on naming children.
    1. Make sure the name goes with the last name and they sound good together -- not two "esses" colliding in the middle (e.g, Moses Sanders).
    2. Go with a traditional spelling. I know people try to get creative but put yourself in your elementary school child's shoes. S/he does NOT want to stand out for having an odd or oddly spelled name.
    3. Think of how the name will age with your child. Some names work for kids but seem silly for a college aged child or adult. Other names seem to condemn your child to old age at the ripe old age of 4.
    4. Don't forget to consider all possible nicknames/shortenings of the name.

In our family we had a tradition of picking a middle name to honor someone in the family. It did not have to be someone dead. My middle name (Elizabeth) is after my dad's mother. My sister's middle name (Esther) was after my mom's mother. Note she ended up changing it to Erika:). My brother's middle name is my mother's maiden name.

When it came time to name my child -- and I did not want to know the sex -- we had one boy name and one girl name picked out. My son is named after my favorite uncle and his middle name is after his father's (deceased) grandfather.

In a way it's a blessing that my current husband and I never got pregnant, as he insists (and I think he is serious) that he would want to name a male child WULF.

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I saw that movie werewolf and that certainly isn't funny when the kid starts going to school.  I feel one can pick a name from the tradition in which one comes from but at the same time it shouldn't be too difficult to pronounce for most. I have seen complex names Dhrishtadyumna or Yudhishtir are difficult names (of course they can be shortened too). Just my two cents. big_smile

23. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I bought a book of names for my kid, but I didn't choose a damn one out of the million names, I chose Jon-Marco, I was going to go with the spelling Jean-Marco, but I figured everyone would call him Gene, so he took my first name with an additional "flare". We skipped out on the middle name because we thought it get a little too long at that point. Everyone was like huh? when we first said it, but after a few times, I got the "cool name" thing and he acts like a Jon-Marco.

24. MarikaGnize profile image60
    MarikaGnizeposted 15 years ago

I wouldn't name my kids Booby or Penissica unless I didn't love them and unless I was a bad bad person:P!!!!

But we are at that stage now, planning for '09 if nature will give us that blessing, and I have fun inventing names, sometimes I think I invented one but I google it and end up finding it!!!  Although I have a couple ones that didn't come up yet and that sound really good so Im happy!!!
    Me and my lover have original names so we like to keep it this way for our whole family, makes us even more unique eventhough we all are smile!!!

When you were pregnant or when you'll be, do you want to know the gender of the baby??

I think I do...but haven't completely decided yet cause I think there are good points to both situations...!!

25. RavynSteel profile image69
    RavynSteelposted 15 years ago

I'm 3 months pregnant and my other half and I have discussed names on and off for a while, even before I fell pregnant. We've both agreed that for a girl we like the name Melissa Hope, but the only thing we can agree on for a boy is that the middle name will be James (my father's name). I always liked Adam as a first name but my partner is unsure because of the biblical connections. Besides, he is of the belief (affirmed by some of you here) that you can't truly pick your child's name until it's born. I think he believes that the right name will just pop into place when he sees the baby. Maybe it will. So for now we call it Prawn - based on what it looked like on a scan done at 7 weeks!

26. seachangeqld profile image60
    seachangeqldposted 15 years ago

Cameron James, Benjamin James, Matthew James, Duncan James, Allistair James, Robert James, Grenville James, David James, William James, Sydney James, McKinley James, Lyndsay James, Drummond James, Ian James, Jonathan James....

27. LondonGirl profile image82

What's wrong with the Biblical connections in relation to Adam?

James is a Biblical name too (-:

28. RavynSteel profile image69
    RavynSteelposted 15 years ago

I know, and I have no problem with them, but my partner is worried that it will cause problems for our child in school - he used to go to school with a boy called Adam and he would constantly get teased about Eve, apples and figleaves...I think he's worrying unduly but he's a stubborn one!

29. LondonGirl profile image82

Fair enough - one of my nearest and dearest is called Adam, and never got teased about it!

30. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 15 years ago

When my wife and I were wating for our first to be born, I really wanted to name her Jovi Starr but my wife was having no part of it.  The girl in the movie Elf was namd Jovi and I liked it.

So we decided to name her Gianna Starr which I also love and still do.  We get to call her Gi Gi, Geeg, Geegers or Geegerino...depending on our mood that day.

Our second one we named Lola Skye.  We call her Low most of the time but my wife calls her Leets sometimes...I don't really get that one but...whatever.

31. profile image49
    MrsMRBSposted 15 years ago

I did not name my children the names I had planned growing up because they were all based on the boyfriend at the time name.  Do not think my fiance would have agreed with that!LOL!!!  I think the baby naming thing comes a long with girls planning their wedding and life together forever with the current beau.

32. TravelMonkey profile image62
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Many of my friends laugh at me because I wish to call my first child Stanley, a good British name.

33. shawna.wilson profile image60
    shawna.wilsonposted 15 years ago

Choosing a baby name is so hard...there are too many great choices.  My favorite baby name book is The Baby Name Wizard by Laura Wattenberg.  For anyone trying to choose a name, I highly recommend this book!

1. bgpappa profile image77
      bgpappaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We actually had an easy time, the names just fell into place.  We bantered back and forth until one just stuck.  But we stayed close to family names which makes it easier.

Take your time, you will find one.  By the way Stanley is a great name.  Second on our list, but when with my middle name for my son instead.

1. TravelMonkey profile image62
        TravelMonkeyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Glad to see I'm not alone bgpappa, I hope my partner feels a little more like the both of us

34. Frieda Babbley profile image79
    Frieda Babbleyposted 15 years ago

Well, our girls were easier to name than our boys.  It took us a weeks, literally, to figure out suitable names for them.  We either had middle or first, but both took us a while.  We didn't mind because we didn't want to name them wrong.  Now I feel we were totally right to wait.

35. charanjeet kaur profile image61
    charanjeet kaurposted 15 years ago

Choosing a baby name is so much more important than just a name, i would suggest you put in some thought and cross check for what it means. some names sound so classy but dont mean anything..

.I have always wanted the name mahek for my daughter it means fragrance..and if it were a boy i would name him armaan it mean wish.

36. LelahKimball profile image78
    LelahKimballposted 15 years ago

Yes and no.  I chose my oldest son's name when I was 14.  When I was pregnant I told my husband what I wanted to name him if it was a boy and he thought about it for a minute and said it was fine with him--he liked it.  We did go through other names, but none either of us like better.  My other two boys were not named until they were born.  We never agreed on another name, or a girls name--ever.  My oldest actually named my second (and I do LOVE his name).  My third was simply the name neither one of us had a huge objection to.

I never looked at meaning.  I could care less.  Words tend to have the meanings we attach to them--they evolve.  Look at "gay".

37. calebd profile image59
    calebdposted 15 years ago

Gila.

It's Hebrew for joy. Presuming said hypothetical child is a girl. Not sure I want to raise a boy.

38. LondonGirl profile image82

one doesn't always get to choose.....

39. calebd profile image59
    calebdposted 15 years ago

Seeing as this kid is hypothetical smile Be a shame to waste a great name like Gila on a boy.

40. sunstreeks profile image80
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

I wanted to name my daughter Alimay for the first 6 months of my pregnancy. Pronouced (Ally - may). Everyone kept telling me that it sounded like a hillbillies name. I kept say so what it's spelled Alimay and I love it.

Finally took my mom giving me her "look" and saying "Stephanie are you seriously gonna name her Alimay?" My mom has a off beat name so if it was that odd to her I was respectful enough to reconsider. When I found out Elly May really was the name of the girl in the Beverly HillBillies I changed it to Allyson.

I didn't care much, I just wanted an Ally.

41. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Cool names are:  Ada, Bella, Sophia, Eben, Aidan, Connor

Ada and Eben are Danish... Ada means "noble," Eben I thought meant "tree" in Danish, but it might be Hebrew.

42. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Long before I was married or had my children, and I was young and single and had the time for a few hobbies; I did a lot of drawing.  Once I drew a little boy with dark hair and a certain hair-cut, and all the while I was drawing I was thinking his name was "Christopher".  Then I didn't think much of the drawing or the name.

About ten or so years later I was expecting my son.  My husband and I didn't know what the baby was but, after going through a list of the few names each of us had in mind, we decided on "Christopher".  It didn't have anything to do with it being my favorite name, because at the time it wasn't.  It was more that we agreed on that one name and not on any others.  We had the name all set before he was born.

My tiny son was born with a thick, brown, hair and a head just like the little boy's in the picture.  As he grew into a toddler and preschooler, he looked so much like the little boy in the picture it was kind of weird.

When my daughter was born we could not agree on ANY names.   My husband kind of was ok with "Katherine", but we never really came to an agreement.  My daughter was born and left without a name until the nurse came in and said I had to name her if I wanted to bring her home.  smile   My husband was not at the hospital, so I named my daughter, "Katherine," - and told her father once he showed up.  He isn't one to find decision-making easy all the time; so when he arrived I said, "I name the baby, 'Katherine'.  They told me I had to tell them her name.'"  (It's kind of an awful story, I suppose, but I kind of like that I didn't have to further mull over HIS list of unacceptable names.  smile  )

1. marcofratelli profile image77
      marcofratelliposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think they're both great names.

I wonder how many new babies are now being called "Harry", "Hermione" or "Ron" (from Harry Potter) or even "Bella" or "Edward" (from Twilight)! Sounds ridiculous, but i'm sure it happens.

43. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 15 years ago

Several comments:

Think twice before giving your baby the first name of a parent. I'm a junior, and for several reasons I wouldn't recommend it. The same goes for II, III or IV. Each child is an individual who deserves his own individual name.

I'm partial to traditional names and not a believer in "cute" names like "Moonbeam," or made up names that sound like chemical compounds. Ditto for new or misspelled traditional names.

Give some consideration to how the first name you're considering sounds when it's pronounced with the baby's last name. The first name should be easy to say along with the last name. If you have a long last name, consider a first name on the short side and vice versa.

I like names that work in several languages. For example, Sara or Sarah, Linda, Anna, Michelle and others work in English and other languages. The more languages, the better.

Androgynous names, especially for girls, are in fashion, e.g., Brooke, Taylor, Reece, etc. I guess they're okay, but be careful about burdening your son a name that sounds like a gir's name, as in the song A Boy Named Sue." This will subject him to unnecessary grief from his peers in school.

And be careful of initials - you don't want little Catherine Ursula Tanya Thompson having a difficult time at school...

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Haha, yes. I have a cousin who is EAR. Which is not as bad as poor little Catherine's initials, but bad enough. They actually realized it before she was born, but liked "Emily Anne" so much they kept it anyway. My uncle said he was stuck with Gustav and he survived, so she could be stuck with EAR and survive, too.

Would not be surprised if she is the first girl in several generations from that side of the family to take her husband's last name though!

Speaking of really unfortunate and/or cruel names, my grandfather once worked with a man named Harry Butz.

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL Kerry....  There was a guy in town where I grew up named Harry Hauser (pronounced Howshur) Rump.

2. LondonGirl profile image82

And be careful of initials - you don't want little Catherine Ursula Nancy Thompson having a difficult time at school...

44. LondonGirl profile image82

My best mate's first two names are Rebecca Catherine, and she did get called "arsey" (R. C) quite a bit.

45. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 15 years ago

I suggested as a joke to my fiance:

Horatio
    Spartacus
    Gertrude

But that didn't go so well so we agreed on Shayne and Gracie, of course that's if the plan goes well for us to have one boy and one girl. Think I've been kind to mother nature, so hopefully she might return the favour :-)

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

One more thought--consider what the name rhymes with. My wife had the misfortune to be named "Tucker" which not only sounds more like a boy's name but rhymes with a couple of other words that you'd best not have your child's name rhyme with. To compound the problem, her last name was Tilley. This of course caused much confusion and required her to continually explain that her name was Tucker Tilley, not Tilley Tucker. Her parents must have had brain fade when they named her!

46. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

My last two boys are named after hockey players lol Landon (Lanny McDonald) and Cameron (Cam Neilly) ...my daughter ...Earth .... 'Terra' and she absolutely loves her name..but she did run into a Dr. who once said...nobody spells their name like that...Oh she was mad.. poor Dr.  tongue lol

47. mohamedhmm profile image62
    mohamedhmmposted 15 years ago

i think names like Amy, Nadia; or arabian names are very nice like Aisha, fatima, fatma, Faten, Nadia, Nour, Nora, Nada, Sammer, Esra, Sara, Dena, Marwa, Warda, Zahra, Amira....and many more.

if boy; there are also nice arabian names and the most well known some islamic name like:
    Ali, Ahamed, Mostafa, Khaled, Omer, Baker, Salah, Hesham, Sherif, Ashraf, Sharaf, Nader, Ramy, Maher, salem, Shaker, ...., and many more

48. KimmiJ profile image67
    KimmiJposted 15 years ago

I knew that I wanted a particular name, for years before I ever had a baby,  but decided to go with a traditional family name during my second trimester.  I don't know why, but I really am glad that I did.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)