jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)

HubPages earnings

1. ShailaSheshadri profile image71
    ShailaSheshadriposted 2 weeks ago

I am writing articles for this website since past 3 months. At present, I have 38 featured and published hubs. I have joined for Amazon and google Adsense program. Past two months I earned like very less amount, less than 1/2 dollar. If I continue writing and publishing at the rate of one article for two days, how long I may take to draw my first payment?
    What is the portion of HubPages earnings in the total earnings?

Experienced colleagues, help me, please...

1. kbdressman profile image92
      kbdressmanposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Your earning rate is dependent on more than just how often you write.  It depends on the quality of the articles and how well they rank on google.  It depends on how social you are here on hubpages.  It depends on how successfully you promote your work on social media.  World events and things outside your control have an effect as well. 

Realistically, it's probably going to take longer as English doesn't appear to be your first language.  Somethings you might consider in working to increase your readership:  Do you have anyone proofread your hubs for you?  Have you done any research on SEO?  Are you regularly active in the forums? Do you respond to questions? Do you read and comment on other hubbers work?  How many of your hubs are on niche sites?  What's the quality of the media on your hubs?  Are your hubs attractive?  Are your topics things that google searchers are searching for?

I can't tell you how long it'll take, and I don't want to be discouraging, but it will probably longer than you hope.  I would find other goals around the site and reasons to enjoy the platform to keep you going and learning as you work towards your first payout.

ShailaSheshadriposted 9 days ago in reply to this

O.k Thanks for your insights on Hub pages. I think, I will continue writing for some time and see the result. I don't know any other website to promote my articles either.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I agree with kbdressman.  I wrote here for quite some time before I made my first payout, but I also learned a great deal so consider the time I spent as a free education.  I've been here almost 5 years now and earn regularly.  However, don't count on earning enough to support yourself.  Few people ever achieve that goal.  Good luck.

Thanks. Can I ask you, how much you are earning( approximately) monthly   after 5 years? Just for my calculations.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image90
      Chriswillman90posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

It took me over 100 hubs and about a year and a half before making payout, so it can definitely take a long time. But once you hit that first payout things get a lot easier regarding earnings. Way too many newbies have unrealistic expectations regarding earnings and are unable to accept the cold reality of the online writing world.

Thanks. I understood. One thing I want to ask you is, whether you can continue earning once you reach the regular payout point, even if you stop writing for a while?

1. CMHypno profile image89
          CMHypnoposted 7 days ago in reply to this

I haven't written a new hub for at least a couple of years and still get paid every month.  Really must start writing again!

4. NateB11 profile image91
      NateB11posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

It can take some time to make a payout on HP. Anywhere from 6 months to a couple years, depending on the traffic your Hubs receive.

It's really dependent on traffic. Organic traffic specifically. Which mean to earn money you have to know how to get traffic. This involves either writing a lot of articles, knowing how to use social media to promote articles or learning SEO. SEO primarily means that you know what keyword phrases to use in titles, you know what phrases to use in titles that people will be looking for via the search engine (mainly Google). Understanding SEO as far as I"m concerned is the best way to go, because then you get organic traffic and don't have to constantly work for it.

You can get traffic just by writing and writing about what you know and love, but it will be hit or miss as far as getting traffic goes; might or might not work.

1. NateB11 profile image91
        NateB11posted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Oh, and I always say this to people who are trying to figure out how to get traffic and earn here, because I think it's a good idea: You should read Wrylilt's Hub on getting keywords from Google Auto Suggest. It's a good starting point. Keep in mind Hubs should be of good quality too, well written with details, useful info, easy to read, well formatted,etc.

2. ShailaSheshadri profile image71

Thanks for your advice. I observe, all of you have a greater score. Hence, you have more experience on hub pages. I couldn't make out what do you mean by 'organic traffic'. Most of my articles are on food and health. Is it o.k? Or I have to switch to some other niche?

1. NateB11 profile image91
          NateB11posted 7 days ago in reply to this

Organic traffic means "natural" traffic - traffic that comes from visitors who've used a search engine like Google. Non-organic traffic traffic would be traffic from links and social media. Links are good though. If people post links to your site, it's good for your article, can make it get a good position in search results on the search engines.

I'm not too familiar with the viability of articles on food and health. I thought they do well, not sure. Probably depends on how well you've narrowed down the subject.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
          Sherry Hewinsposted 7 days ago in reply to this

Having a high score has nothing to do with earnings. I had a great score for 3 years, even reaching 100 for months at a time. I was earning pennies. Many others have said this before, but I'm telling you from experience. Pay no attention to the score.

2. earner profile image85
    earnerposted 2 weeks ago

Stop writing and see how you can improve/promote what you've already written.

I very very rarely write any new hubs any more. 

I get a payout every month.

You are lucky to get a regular payout. Because I am non-native, it matters.

3. Tantalusguy profile image81
    Tantalusguyposted 2 weeks ago

I use a free site to give me SEO ideas: http://lsigraph.com/

I'm relatively new to HP but I've been ghostwriting for a while and this is the tool I use for my freelance work.

Hope it helps.

Thanks. I will continue writing for a few months and will see the result.

4. ShailaSheshadri profile image71
    ShailaSheshadriposted 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Tantalusguy. I will see the website mentioned by you.

5. DrMark1961 profile image91
    DrMark1961posted 2 weeks ago

Hi Shaila I wanted to add some information that might be helpful to you. Although your recipes are very interesting, they are not going to be searched for very often. The most popular recipe searches are for things like chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, etc. Does that mean you should start writing recipes like that? Not at all. You just need to realize that the recipes your write are not going to get much traffic. What is the best solution?
    Write more recipes.
    (If you are looking for more popular recipe subjects, you might write about a vegan curry dish. Almost all the curry dishes I see are for types of meat. Curry is a common word that Americans type in when looking for an Indian recipe. Vegan is also popular now. Play around with this.)
    I do not agree with earnerĀ“s suggestion. He said to just stop writing and improve/promote what you already have. Okay, maybe when you have about 150 or so. As chriswilliam90 points out, it took him over 100 hubs to make payout. Read his subjects. It may take you a lot more.
    Hubpages only takes 40% of your earnings. Writing a hub every few days is bound to help. Maybe you will even hit on that great hub that will get 1000 page views per day, and when it is added to your other hubs the total views/day will be significant.
    If you are only on the Google adsense program, I do recommend you switch to the HP program. The earnings are better.
    Good luck.
    edit: A lot of newbies have problems with titles. Yours titles are great, definitely not the problem. Keep going!!!

I don't know, how to express my thanks to you! You have given me good advice. I will continue writing, I know I have fewer articles to my credit.
      I don't know about HPprogramme. What is that? please explain.

1. DrMark1961 profile image91
        DrMark1961posted 8 days ago in reply to this

That is the program that allows HP to show their ads on your page, instead of just Googles. It earns a little better.
        If you want to try it, go to the "my account" page, there is a section about earnings. Click that, and near the top of the page there is a section about the ad program. It should be marked "active" for you to be earning more from HP. If it is not, click on "configure" and they will ask you to activate/deactivate the program.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 weeks ago

Welcome to the site, Shaila!

I agree with the suggestions already posted here. One thing you'll need to do is to increase your Hubber score (that's the small number appearing on your profile photo). Our scores need to be above a certain number for our work to be seen in Google (I am not sure of the current number - it might be 85). I think each hub has to have a certain score, too - it's been a while since I read the criteria.

That is not meant to be punitive to anyone, it is a filtering mechanism Hubpages has to ensure the content Google sees is of the highest quality. It can take a while for a new writer's score to increase, and the quality of writing, skills in English and overall quality of the hub (such as use of photos, layout, length, etc.) are factored into it. 

Your recipe titles sound delicious - I am primarily a vegetarian, and I love Indian food. I didn't read any of them closely, but I'd suggest briefly describing them in English (explain what a falafel is, for example, for those who may not know) and making sure all ingredients are translated into what we'd find in grocery stores in the USA or UK - what would we look for?  The reason for this is that the readership here is primarily English speaking.  You might also want to include international measurements and guidelines as well as the ones we use in the USA (such as the way we set ovens).

If your recipes are from another source, rewrite them enough to put them in your own words, and use other text to personalize each hub and make it more original. Use plenty of good, non-copyrighted photos, and cite the sources. Try to get your recipes to the quality level used for the special site HubPages has created for recipes, and then submit them for consideration.

A wonderful coworker I had a few years ago was from India and during one of our staff potlucks or birthdays, she brought in a recipe that had an ingredient similar to cream of wheat - it was savory, and was a great side dish. i tried hard to make it (even got the recipe) and I have yet to get it right I will try to watch your recipes in case you have on similar someday, and maybe I can finally master that dish! 

It takes a long while for Google to know you're here and to rank your material in ways that get views. I get regular revenue now (not enough to live on, of course), but there were ups and downs in the site's traffic recent years when revenue was not as regular.

Best of luck with your writing here - and thanks for introducing yourself to us!

1. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Marcy, there's no hubberscore minimum or hubscore minimum that makes your hubs visible to search engines, aka featured. It is determined on a hub by hub basis via QAP.  A user with a hubberscore of 76 may very well have all their hubs featured, and featured hubs could have scores in the 70s and 60s.  It's better for people to focus on writing and formatting if they want their hubs featured.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I was about to post to say the same thing.  I think Marcy is confusing it with the rule about "no follow" links IN Hubs.  Except for people trying to promote a website or blog, that rule needn't concern the average Hubber.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 days ago in reply to this

When your score drops below 85, your links become no follow.

Marisa Wrightposted 11 days ago in reply to this

....which is only a problem if you're using those links to promote another website.   Real readers can still follow the links.

Thanks, all of you. I gained some idea on how to continue on hub pages. I cook food myself. All food photos are clicked by me. I am a vegetarian, sometimes use egg in my recipes. Because I cook Indian and Indo-Chinese  food, there may be fewer searches. I have to find out the way to promote my articles. It is a great feeling to know that you all are very helpful.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 weeks ago

Thanks for clarifying, Marisa and GC - obviously it's been a while since I read the guidelines. Sorry for posting misinformation - I was going to edit the post, but the window of time for editing has closed!

Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

I recall it was a common misunderstanding at the time, so you're not alone!

Thank you, Marcy. Tell me the name of the Indian food which you wanted to cook. I think, I can explain you about that.

8. stephenteacher profile image86
    stephenteacherposted 11 days ago

You are writing on hub pages, not necessarily your own site. That means if you leave it up tohub,you may get very little traffic, no earnings. It is really up to you to promote your hubs and bring the people in. But even then, the revenue goes mostly to hub. Sure, some make money, but I assume the vast majority do not make much more (or less) than you do. Sending traffic to your own sites may be a better idea if you are wanting to earn quite a bit.

Marisa Wrightposted 11 days ago in reply to this

@Stephenteacher, the money does NOT go mostly to HubPages.    Most of the money goes to the Hubber.   

A lot of people seem to think that HubPages is raking in the money and paying writers peanuts. That's not how it works. Earnings are split 60/40. 

For several years, Relache ran an annual survey of Hubbers and found that most of them earn less than $10 a year.  That means HubPages makes less than $8 a year from those Hubbers. 

HubPages makes money because a few writers write high-earning articles that earn spectacularly more than the average.  Those Hubs are only a small percentage of total Hubs, but they earn over 70% of HubPages' income.  Those are the Hubs which have been used to create the new niche sites.

The bottom line is that if the Hubber is making money, HubPages is making money.  If the Hubber is earnign peanuts, so is HubPages.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 days ago in reply to this

stephenteacher:  Have you ever owned your own site?  Do you understand how difficult it is to set one up, let alone bring in enough traffic to make any money on it?  You have the wrong idea about HP, so should try to learn the facts before giving negatively biased advice.

HP is a business.  They do all of the web work required to make this quite possibly the best writing site on the web.  Doing this isn't cheap.  They have to employ staffers, deal with Google, keep up with the financials, etc.  Writers here do't have to do any of that.

Furthermore, their set up makes it easy for people to create professional looking articles here. 

I have always considered this to be one of the most cleverly arranged and user friendly sites on the Web.

As a result, I'm happy to give up 40% of my earnings because without them, I don't think I'd be earning anything much.  How do I know this?  I have my own site, and my success with it has been dismal, even though here at HP I've had more than 869000 page views.

I knew nothing about how to create online articles when I came here, but this site gave me a free education that now allows me to earn here.

So, before you warn people away, get your facts straight.  You always have the choice to create your own site, and if you think this is best, you should go ahead and give it a try.

Just make sure that before you do, you know what you're doing.

1. stephenteacher profile image86
        stephenteacherposted 8 days ago in reply to this

I own and run several sites, and have since 1996.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image92
        TessSchlesingerposted 5 days ago in reply to this

Well said. I consider hubpages the best content writing site on the web. And I am extremely grateful for the support I get from so many.

3. ShailaSheshadri profile image71

I think hub pages helps writers to earn money. I believe, I have to improve my writing skill to attract more traffic.

9. Janda Raker profile image82
    Janda Rakerposted 9 days ago

I agree with TimeTravel2 about using this website being MUCH easier and more successful than using another site or creating a site of our own and trying to compete. I wrote for about 3 years for Examiner.com, had some success, made a little money, and learned a lot. But that site was a poor imitation of HubPages, much less easy to use, and brought in fewer readers and a lower quality of writing. AND in August or so of this year (2016), it became an all-entertainment site, leaving the rest of us writers with nothing, no product online! I retain the rights to my writing and photos, so now I'm rewriting, to fit HubPages guidelines AND to get on the niche sites. But it is frustrating, as I'm mostly rewriting, not writing creatively. However, I feel HubPages is much more secure, offering a stronger platform for my writing. And niche travel site WanderWisdom is much more inviting to the reader! I do have my own website, and I can link to HubPages from it, but I don't see how it could ever compete with HubPages.

Thanks. I have a doubt. Please... if  the writer stops writing for Hubpages and wants to come out of it, whether the author has the right on his already published articles? whether he can reuse them somewhere else?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 days ago in reply to this

All writers at HP hold copyrights to their own work.  So, if you choose to leave the site, simply delete your articles after making sure you have copies of them and notify the team that you are departing.

10. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image87
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 days ago

The first payment depends on views.

Thanks, Sanjay. I am working on it. If you don't mind, how long it took you to  get your first payment? Just to get an idea about my future earning on HP.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 days ago in reply to this

You can't gauge your own success here by somebody else's, so hearing how others did with payment times won't help you much.  Some people take a year and a half or more, some never make it, and some earn very quickly.  Much depends on your knowledge of how to write online, use SEO, and, of course, your subject matter and writing ability.

11. ShailaSheshadri profile image71
    ShailaSheshadriposted 8 days ago

Yeah.. I have already activated that. Thank you.

12. TessSchlesinger profile image92
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 days ago

From experience, the first time I joined hubpages, it took me three months to reach my first payout. The second time I joined, I got transferred here and it was about 9 months before I took any interest. It took a long time to reach first payout - about 6 months, and then a payout every 2 months for 6 months, and after that a payout every month since then.

Payout depends strictly on the degree of traffic you receive, and that depends on whether your topic is searched for on the web and whether it is on page one. To do reasonably well, you need to have your article in number one place on the SERPS.

13. ShailaSheshadri profile image71
    ShailaSheshadriposted 6 days ago

Thanks. I hope I will understand the things slowly with my experience and guidance from seniors.

14. Janda Raker profile image82
    Janda Rakerposted 6 days ago

Thanks, Tess. It's good to know your timelines, even if it is somewhat discouraging. So you're saying that we just need to be patient! And write well about the RIGHT topics! :-)

1. TessSchlesinger profile image92
      TessSchlesingerposted 6 days ago in reply to this

Yup. Aim to become number one on the SERPS.

working