HubPages Update - database crashes, traffic stats, tos update

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 56 discussions (72 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We've been fairly busy at HubPages the last couple of days recovering from hardware issues with two of our five database servers.  Fortunately we were able to cut over to our hot stand by machines with very little downtime.  We've repaired the hardware and are now back to full capacity.  However, you may have noticed more oddities than usual the last day or two on the site as we've had to juggle things around a bit in order to keep everything running.  We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused.

As part of the recovery process, the traffic stats were inflated for several hours last evening.  It's fairly difficult for us to roll those back, so you'll just see extra traffic in your stats for that period.  Processing appears to be back on track, so you should see a decline in your day views back to "normal" levels this evening (as the inflated hours start to drop off).  This probably means lots of red arrows now, and lots of blue arrows tonight (with the effect diminishing over the course of the week).  I'd suggest just ignoring them.

Unrelated to all of this, we've updated our terms of service and privacy policy.  There is a brief summary of the differences at each link above.  Please review them carefully.   The new terms take effect November 19th.

1. profile image0
      Duchess OBluntposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the explanation and for the news on the policy changes.  Will review tonight

2. Isabella Snow profile image85
      Isabella Snowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eh?? When I click on those links I get this??

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n240/isabellasnow/Picture1.png

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats a sweet theme (browser)..what is it?

1. Isabella Snow profile image85
          Isabella Snowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah! Thanks! big_smile

Scribblies Plain. There's another version that's more colorful but the rainbows get on your nerves after awhile. wink

2. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 14 years ago

Traffic stats inflated? How disappointing. sad

But I will recover. smile

3. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Cheers Paul.

4. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

finally some light.....! smile

5. Laura du Toit profile image75
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the explanation smile

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I want to keep my new wrong stats - it was fun waking up to - please!! lol  Thank you

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes...life felt good for a while!!  please don't take it away....!!

2. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol. Me too. smile 

I saw the double arrows and thought - "finally, I must be doing something right".

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Paul!

8. wannabwestern profile image93
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

Thank you for sharing this information, I was wondering what spectacular thing happened last night while I was sleeping to increase my traffic so much! big_smile

9. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the update paul, however I'm with the others on this, I rather liked the sudden increase in traffic. smile

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And people say inflation is a bad thing! lol

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

me too I agreed with all of them , but I will find time to read the new TERMS OF SERVICE

11. charlemont profile image76
    charlemontposted 14 years ago

I'm amazed at tons of red arrows in my stats smile

12. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Oh, I liked the red arrows though. *Pout* Why can't the traffic be at what it was at now everyday -.-

~thranax~

13. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 14 years ago

Ah bummer, I thought that my viewership had suddenly taken off and went into another level...

Sigh...

but thanks for the update!

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

Thanks very much for all the information. It was a quick turnaround time to repair, imo.

15. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

thank you Paul. i was an idiot a couple of days ago and, instead of working in Notepad as i usually do, i was writing my hub right in the text capsule and right then it froze for a 'site down for service' and i lost my whole capsule just as i was about to click save. i expected to see my draft saved but for some reaason it wasn't, but i have only myself to blame, so i just retyped it all and learned from the experience. you guys are very quick with your updates with hardly any 'denials of service' happen, and you're very proactive and communicative, which is appreciated. smile

16. alekhouse profile image72
    alekhouseposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the update, Paul.

17. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

As always you guys (Hubteam) are the tops. Now if you were to fix the little red arrow gadget to stay that active I do not think there would be too many complains.
    Thanks for all you do.

18. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Paul

I'm going to enjoy my red arrows while they last!

19. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago

Here are a few red arrows for NaomiR, Zsuzsy Bee and the rest of you Hubbers to use once the ones that you see now suddenly (and sadly) disappear. I know that I'm going to miss a lot, too so I thought that these might help ease the pain.

http://www.hupandsteph.com/Jing/2009-11-13_1245.png

Feel free to print these of and tape them to your monitor -- I used NaomiR's My Account screen as an example so that you all can see how amazingly well it works! Talk about a great way to increase your HubPages motivation -- there's nothing better than seeing double red arrows all over your my account page!

But, don't take my word for it...

NaomiR's My Account screen BEFORE:
    http://www.hupandsteph.com/Jing/2009-11-13_1328.png

NaomiR's My Account screen AFTER:
    http://www.hupandsteph.com/Jing/2009-11-13_1330.png

Not to mention that these double red arrows also make awesome fashion accessories. Check out how I used mine to turn a unibrow into a UniWOW!

http://www.hupandsteph.com/Jing/2009-11-13_1333.png

Hope this helps. smile

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ryan thanks for the double arrows I'll use them according to your suggestions.

20. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

it certainly did help! big_smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha, I thought that it would. smile

21. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Hup - hilarious.

Am I a cynic? I saw red arrows, so strolled over here to see what is wrong with the site....

lol

thanks as always for your update

22. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I've been admiring mine all day, even called my son this morning to tell him.... big_smile

I'm hoping that maybe a few will stay double... one? hmm

23. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

Aah and I thought my excellent writing had been discovered!!!  Seems I will have to wait a little longer. 
    Thanks for the update.  I really laughed at your graphics and words Ryan. Excellent.

24. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I do wonder if this glitch could have some positive effects on the hub score and the google ranking? If it will make the hubs in question look even more popular then they are.....

25. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

Awwww....and I thought my hubs were rocking it! LOL

26. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Wow,
    I really almost believed back-linking helped with something
    lol.

~thranax~

27. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Aaaaaaaw gee whizzickers! I was so excited! ...but I have taken a screen shot to enjoy when things get back to normal, LOL

Thanks!

28. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I know Paul mentioned the inevitable blue arrows we'll soon be seeing.....but there isn't a double blue arrow is there? LOL  I'm sure hoping not.  It's bad enough we have to endure the single blue arrow.

Thanks Paul for the update and we appreciate all the hardwork you guys and gals are doing on our behalf!

Ryan,  you're just a nut.  smile

29. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

That's a funny one Ryan

I actually took a Screen Shot of mine in Homepage view. So the top 10 were really looking Awesome with high figures.

Might print it out and frame it.

@ Paul, thanks for the update.

30. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Just when I thought I was doing good.  The man is always there to beat me back down.

31. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 14 years ago

Just to say I loved the picture of fashion accessories! I am so busy reading the funny remarks all over the forum that I forget to write a hub! Thanks for the laugh. Nell

32. hglick profile image82
    hglickposted 14 years ago

Thanks guys for the timely explanation of the strange happenings

33. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Did referrals always give 20% of the impressions?

I thought it was 10% previously, not that I'm complaining, I don't have many referrals but if I did, even better. smile

34. My Digest profile image59
    My Digestposted 14 years ago

Hahahahaha It was good while it lasted.  smile Thanks for the explanation Paul!

35. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

thanks

36. spease profile image59
    speaseposted 14 years ago

That is good that its fixed, too bad the stats were not real.  I was excited to see the big numbers also.

37. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

The red arrows made me happy... now the blue arrows are back and I'm sad....
    sad

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha. I missed the triple red arrows but I am worried I may now get triple blue arrows.

38. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

My happiness of seeing the red arrows were gone. I am sad now :-(
    Paul, thanks for the info and quickly resolved the problems.

39. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I was surprised to see my traffic stats yesterday as they were more than double for one day. I wish I could get them back.

40. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Thanks Paul & HP team! you're awesome big_smile

41. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Yes, I wondered why my hubs were soo popular!  Oh well.  Thanks for letting us know - appreciate your hard work, as always x

42. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

arrows are back to blue but today its no Hub activity and nothing much on my "Welcome Back" page.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I just checked my traffic for the day, and I reckon I am down by about 200 viewings based on my normal daily traffic rate. Very odd!

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im now seeing blue arrows.  Maybe it's the sugar in my tea...

how about we give each other a hug and forget our sorrows !

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
          Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good idea. (((HUG)))

43. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Anyone having trouble with your homepage loading?

44. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I saw all those pretty double red arrows  and thought it must have been the fine Californian wine lol

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HaHaHa.

45. retellect profile image73
    retellectposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the info! I did wonder what the hell was happening when I saw my traffic almost triple in a few hours! Thanks for the info big_smile

46. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up.  I am liking the negative numbers in the traffic sources today.  smile

47. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I am seeing red arrows again! Are they real?

48. LensMan999 profile image57
    LensMan999posted 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing the real cause

49. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

(((HUGS)))smilesmile

50. Jeff Brendan profile image61
    Jeff Brendanposted 14 years ago

Today I'd problem posting a hub (well my first hub). Its great to know that you have recovered and nothing went wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)