Hub Views Dropping Like A Rock!

Jump to Last Post 101-150 of 186 discussions (550 posts)
  1. sarovai profile image73
    sarovaiposted 12 years ago

GDG is again testing my traffic. From better to low.Hope there will be a change soon. smile

2. agentmomo profile image67
    agentmomoposted 12 years ago

Well...that's just wrong! (she said with indignation...) smile

3. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

Just checked my traffic stats under the last 24 hrs column

Google  1 view
    Hubpages 1 view
    Bing  8 views

It's to hard to continue but you get the point last week google was over 100 daily plus others grrr

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appear to be getting more views from other engine other than Google. whats the point of using Google if they aren't helping?

4. Ms Chievous profile image67
    Ms Chievousposted 12 years ago

So I checked my webmaster tools and found that Googlebots were being "disallowed" at my hubs.  So this means I am not being indexed because Google spiders are not crawling through my site because they are not allowed?  How do I change this??

1. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where do you get the majority of your backlinks from? Google might dislike some of them, maybe you can remove them.

1. Ms Chievous profile image67
        Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have backlinks on twitter, redgage, some Squidoo and some infobarrel.. I have gotten rid of every stinkin RSS capsule I could find, or at least the descriptors. I am thinking I will remove backlinks from Twaiter.. maybe it is the culprit hmm

I have an RSS feed on my best hub, I was scared to remove it in case it has negative effects on the 1000 views a day, I was thinking of replacing it with a video

2. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your traffic will come back, wait and see smile

I don't think it has anything to do with RSS feeds. In fact, if you find a hub on Google search that has an rss feed on it, underneath there is now a box you can open to display that feed It says: See More from Hubpages.com. I don't know if this is new or not, but it is extra publicity to your feed that Google provide.

I went over my hubs and cut down the number in a lot of my rss feeds and set them to display first sentence only.

It didn't make any difference.

My traffic is back. The hubs doing the best are ones that I found on opening still have their full RSS feed in them. (Oops missed them!)

Even poor old Sexy Cats that Paul slated is doing well again.

I'm scared to post this in case my traffic collapses again, as it probably will at some point. This is the second time my traffic has risen since the subdomain switch, but in between I was a plunger.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not Sexy Cats!  That ill conceived jumble of badly written drivel?  I am drafting a letter of complaint to Google right now...

1. IzzyM profile image86

Oh Jings there is not really an awful lot that can be written about them, but at least I tried!

The other sales sites don't usually bother, and just show the photos with a 'click through to buy' link.

That's probably why mine is up there - it has real words on the page!

Yeah, I was joking of course...

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yeah I knew that! Were you sweating there?

You weren't far wrong all the same wink

Yes.. I was sweating.  I was going to put "JOKE" in the first comment, but that rather spoils the, er, joke.  Anyway, we both know what I meant, referring to earlier can't write for toffee conversations.

Good news about traffic by the sounds of it.

2. Dorsi profile image88
                Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey someone else wrote about sexy cats too? Please don't complain about sexy cats because that's one of my more visited hubs! Go figure!

1. IzzyM profile image86

That's a great hub, Dorsi smile Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

To anyone else wanting to see it, here it is smile <link snipped>

1. Dorsi profile image88
                    Dorsiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Izzy! I wrote it back when I was on a sexy kick. After writing about all the sexy hubbers here I wrote about the hubbers sexy cats - and their sexy dogs too! They are some of my most visited hubs....lol...who in the world searches for sexy cats and dogs?? ROTFL!!!!!

2. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol That must be a huge relief, to have your traffic back.

My main account (this one) is doing great, traffic-wise. The other one? Well let's just say it's not quite dead, but almost. The only reason I can think of why account #2 should be doing pants and not this one is the fact that #2 consists entirely of sales hubs, and overall it does mention brand names a lot more often than this one.

It's not worth me stressing over, given the fact that I make beer money off HubPages rather than an actual income.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I don't even think it is sales hubs or brand names bringing subdomains down. It's just a slap for Goodness knows whatever reasons, probably something to do with the big linking change the subdomain brought.

I couldn't have guess before (in the past 4 weeks), because I no no traffic to speak of, but I had a look on the stats of the returned-and-doing-better-than-ever hubs, and people are landing there after typing brand names in to the search engines, even though those hubs do not mention brand names in the title, they are in the body of the hub.

So I guess that's another theory out of the window!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd say this is worth posting in the "Report a Problem" section and see if the Hub team have an answer.

5. Len Cannon profile image86
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

Well, I went from 3200-ish to >800 in 24 hours so I guess I'll just say I'm back at square 1.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, same here, Len. Roughly a 75% or better traffic loss in one day.  I went from my highest earning Adsense day this year to one of the lowest almost overnight.  I had no sudden unexpected peaks before it happened like some claim to have experienced.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google was kind enough to notify me that there is no manual penalty to my account.  I guess that leaves me with few answers...

If there is no manual penalty, I wonder if it was worthwhile to unpublish all those hubs?  about 250 were unpublished.

I wonder if this is just the wild swings that happen with "new domains"?

1. IzzyM profile image86

It's a wild swing. Republish those hubs now, each and everyone of them adds weight to your subdomain.

Less than 50% of my hubs are seeing traffic. The rest can stay as cannon fodder, feeding the main entity.

Your traffic will return.

Have you set up Google+?

I don't know it its related, but my traffic came back within 2/3 days of messing around trying to add the rel=author link to HP, which failed miserably, but whatever I have done  means I now see a mini photo of me under hubs in Google search that I don't think I noticed before. (it's not the big photo to the right that rel=authors are supposed to see).

But I did tick the box over on Google+ to link my profile to my subdomain, even if I never managed to complete the whole process.

Somehow I don't think it related, because Marisa has fallen traffic now, and she's done this too, but worth a try.

Was it that much of a pain to get the author link set up, I haven't got time to mess about with it!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well yes, trying to get it to work on HP anyway. Should be simple. I added it on one of my blogs in 30 seconds flat. But have given up on HP for the time being.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57
            Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's July all over again. lol

3. Mutiny92 profile image64

It seems like a waste that I unpublished all those hubs - my traffic is still down, but 85% of my hubs were unpublished so I am not sure that is a good measure

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

I received the same notification, Mutiny.  But it also stated this didn't mean I wasn't penalized by one of their automated bot programs.  "No reconsideration is therefore needed" with a "however" stuck in there as if to to insure further confusion for those of us who dare to inquire as to their methods and intentions.

Am I wrong to feel almost dirty after querying these-I hesitate to say people-company representatives?  It's almost as if I am apologizing for something I'm not aware of being guilty of in the first place! lol

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it does seem a little Kafka-esque!  They won't even tell you what the law is, never mind if you are guilty or not!  ;-)

That settles it!  Where can I hire my own SpiderBots to whip G's SpiderBot's asses?  There doesn't seem to be any laws protecting us from these clearly mercenary creations, so, let the Invasion of the SpiderBots be avenged!

lol

lol  Go Randy!  :-D

2. David 470 profile image82
                David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol how do you get those?

planetsmilies.net

1. Cagsil profile image71
                    Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this
              3. Rosie2010 profile image66
                Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL You go, Randy!!!

2. Mutiny92 profile image64

i was surprised to see the confirmation of no manual penalty.  I don't know how to take that. 

At least if there was a penalty, I would feel better that at some point it would end.  Now, I just don't know...

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

I've started several new websites and I've never had "wild swings".  I've never seen anyone else talk about wild swings either.

What usually happens is that once it gets indexed, you get good traffic for the honeymoon period, then Google checks to see how you're doing with backlinks etc, and drops you down to where it considers is the right place.  After that it's just a case of clawing your way back up.

That's not what's happening here. 

When Izzy and Randy lost all their traffic I thought that (sadly) they'd just got to the end of their honeymoon period.  However, Izzy is now surging back instead of a gradual climb.

At the other extreme, I was having what I considered quite a nice honeymoon - then my traffic suddenly went crazy for about a week, and now it has totally crashed. 

It's so different from anything that happens on standalone domains, I can only assume it's something to do with HubPages' structural changes.  I'm glad I stopped writing Hubs - the only way to deal with this is to wait and see, IMO.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right about it being due to HP structure changes.  The robots found a domain split into 200,000 subdomains with a million pages overnight.  That may be something never contemplated when building the algorithm and it simply didn't know what to do about ranking.

It found hundreds of thousands of new external links to those pages.  I'm sure there were other major changes that I can't even contemplate.  Something this major happening nearly overnight may never have been seen before.

It is my hope that all this has caused unforseen results in the actions of the algorithm.  Many have reported that google says they haven't been manually slapped, but have still seen traffic rise once more.  As google finds and fixes the "glitches" and the subdomains are slowly re-evaluated naturally by the robots traffic returns.  If I'm right, yours will too, just like Izzy's did. 

The next question, then, is what happens to those of us that saw the meteoric rise but no plunge yet?  Have we settled out and missed being caught by the glitch or will we all eventually plunge and, hopefully, return?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

That's my worry! 

It looks like I've already been "re-evaluated" a couple of times - the first time I got a huge boost in traffic, the second time they went, "oops, she didn't deserve that" and took it away again - and then some.

Izzy has had the same thing in reverse - the first time they took away her traffic, the second time they gave it back.

I don't think there's any guarantee either of us will get a third bite.

No of course not, but there is nothing saying you won't have 10 more as the robots get one thing right and find another problem.  It might be something like this:

You got a subdomain and google likes that.  A good increase in traffic.  A week later google notices that you have 5,000 new external links - a real no no.  Cut your rank by 90%.  Real people at google begin to realize what happened (all those new links are because of the subdomain instead of link building and spamming) and manually remove any penalty set up as they notice them.  Robots visit again and once more find 3,000 MORE new links (as new subdomains outside yours are created) and it starts all over.  Maybe google now tweaks the algorithm, but it takes a week for the robots to once more visit and correct their own "mistake".  Maybe they visit 50 hubs tonight and fix them, or maybe it visits 250 of them.

Not saying that's what happened; I'm sure it didn't.  But the concept could well be what we are seeing.  That algorithm just isn't set up to understand what HP did.

And maybe I'm living in a dream world because I don't want to lose that wonderful traffic.

I speculated (although I hoped I was wrong) when Izzy and Randy were hit that pretty much everyone here would get slapped at some point.  Then, sure enough, I got hit this weekend, after 10 days of fantastic traffic. 

My view is that the algo is targeting HubPages and other sites that Google are concerned about and that they will mess around until they get the results that they want.  So I think I pretty much agree with you, Wilderness.

I hope that my HP traffic is down for a few days, rather than a few months, though - that really would be depressing!

And here I sit, all fat and happy.  Traffic for the last 2 weeks has been about 3X pre-panda levels and is slowly rising.  Today will likely set another all time record.

Google cannot find every new page on every new subdomain in one night.  Nor can they find every new external link all at once.  It takes time and that seems to be why some do very well for a while and some haven't.

It also takes time (unless google assigns people to do it, and that costs money) to "fix" the "problems" "created" by the change.

For now I'm happy.  Happy, but concerned - when will it be my turn and how long will it last?  Or maybe I'll slip through the cracks and the whole thing will be "fixed" before it happens to me.

2. IzzyM profile image86

You missed a bit out. I got an amazing boost in traffic when I first switched over to the subdomain. That lasted about 26 days.

Then I plunged, my traffic worse than post-Panda. That lasted 24 days.

Now I've got the traffic surge again...

Maybe in another 20 odd days it will drop again. Who knows?

I put those days in to see if anyone has a similar pattern, albeit over different dates.

That makes you one of the early testers, doesn't it?

Does that mean that you did fine until all those new backlinks from other new subdomains started hitting?

1. IzzyM profile image86

No I wasn't a tester, but I switched over to subdomains when it was released for all in the middle of July.

2. IzzyM profile image86

20 odd days? I'd be so lucky!

Try a day and a half! My traffic is plunging again. I checked and all my keywords have dropped so it's real, not a dip.

Oh well. C'est la vie, as they say!

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62
                    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You like this graph of my traffic lol its almost too funny, sick manipulation of Google updates.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5480217.png

6. Teddletonmr profile image69
    Teddletonmrposted 12 years ago

Yes my traffic is falling, I wonder if it has anything to do with summarys that have vanished.
    I have been writing new short but sweet summaries for each of my hubs where the automaticly generated summary are gone. It seems to have a positive impact on increased traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image86

No because when I plunged, the vast majority of my hubs had custom summaries.

Adding them helps their visibility, but if you have been slapped, you have next to no visibility anyway.

Write them now, because your traffic will return, and when it does, you'll be ready smile

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

IzzyM- Glad to hear that your traffic is returning, despite Sexy Cats! let's hope that this upswing lasts with some continuity!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Fingers crossed too, but having already suffered two traffic collapses this year, I guess I am prepared for it happening again.

7. Dawn Conklin profile image69
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

Some of my hubs have seen an increase in traffic and some have seen a decrease.  I was in the direct path of Irene so I did write a couple of hubs about preparing for it and the aftermath of Irene.  So those hubs saw a lot of traffic around the time of Irene and now they are starting to fall.  Some of my other hubs are doing good and some are not.

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

My traffic has remained pretty level (knock on wood!). Traffic was down a little Saturday, but earnings were great. Yesterday, traffic was up, and earnings were down a little. Go figure.

If my earnings remain what they've been for the past couple of weeks, I'll be a happy camper! Of course, I'm afraid to hope for this. I get up every morning and go to my puter to check my stats, just knowing I'll see another crash.

1. David 470 profile image82

Habee

I am so glad there is another person who does that! I thought I was weird getting up in the late morning and checking my stats like someone with OCD LOL! smile

My traffic did see a huge burst late last month, then dropped off like 25%, but seems to be leveling off.

Obviously, traffic on the internet does not remain the same everyday, but there should be some average.

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

MOst of my personal sites have either been gaining traffic steadily or remaining level since Panda. My Hubpages account has been a roller coster ride with sudden drops and gains of thousands of visitors over the last couple of weeks.

Unfortauntely the current Google Adsense layout Hubpages has been using does not seem to have been converting well. At all.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Since the sub-domain switch, traffic has steadily increased to pre-panda +.
    I don't publish for an income, but I've been thrilled to see more exposure and hubs ranking well. Any income is a bonus, and I would love to see it increase. Over the weekend one of my hubs was found and posted on a FB fan page and it has brought in relevant traffic. I also found it posted on another related forum. I like when it happens naturally.

I think like Paul said at the announcement of subdomains, some would see increases and some wouldn't.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I believe he did! And I also believe many of us thought that short, spammy hubs would be weeded out leaving those of who write using good grammar and spelling, with hubs of a reasonable length, would be the winners.

Something went wrong?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

It just goes to show that all that advice about "natural writing", using the first person, avoiding SEO etc. was so much guff.  I've always been lazy about SEO, so no doubt Paul could've used my "naturally written" Hubs as an example of why my account was doing so well last week.  This week, I'm in the toilet - so obviously the quality of the writing has nothing to do with what's working and what isn't.

1. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still think its Google working its way through all the HP links between subdomains, which it does only when the bot revisits each page. I have 28,000 such links listed in Webmasters, many of which are pre-subdomain. I think pages and subs with good external links are more stable as they probably are worth a lot more than the subdomain ones derived from the 'related hubs'. Imagine the turmoil as Google works its way over and over again, through all the links on HP and everyone is doing this and doing that to their pages. Just a theory of course. Cheers from the Yellow Subdomain!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, I'm not one to speculate. There are too many variables. Google already said it's much more than short spammy articles they don't like. The list they posted on their blog asks a lot of questions for webmasters/publishers to consider.

Would you trust the information presented in this article?
            Is this article written by an expert or enthusiast who knows the topic well, or is it more shallow in nature?
            Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?
            Would you be comfortable giving your credit card information to this site?
            Does this article have spelling, stylistic, or factual errors?
            Are the topics driven by genuine interests of readers of the site, or does the site generate content by attempting to guess what might rank well in search engines?
            Does the article provide original content or information, original reporting, original research, or original analysis?
            Does the page provide substantial value when compared to other pages in search results?
            How much quality control is done on content?
            Does the article describe both sides of a story?
            Is the site a recognized authority on its topic?
            Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to a large number of creators, or spread across a large network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
            Was the article edited well, or does it appear sloppy or hastily produced?
            For a health related query, would you trust information from this site?
            Would you recognize this site as an authoritative source when mentioned by name?
            Does this article provide a complete or comprehensive description of the topic?
            Does this article contain insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
            Is this the sort of page you’d want to bookmark, share with a friend, or recommend?
            Does this article have an excessive amount of ads that distract from or interfere with the main content?
            Would you expect to see this article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?
            Are the articles short, unsubstantial, or otherwise lacking in helpful specifics?
            Are the pages produced with great care and attention to detail vs. less attention to detail?
            Would users complain when they see pages from this site?

Writing an algorithm to assess page or site quality is a much harder task, but we hope the questions above give some insight into how we try to write algorithms that distinguish higher-quality sites from lower-quality sites.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … ality.html

Answering the first two questions would seem to put many hubs on the chopping block.
        Reading through each question, objectively assessing our hubs is helpful, and probably more beneficial than trying to guess. They've given us tips on what and how to improve.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

"The next question, then, is what happens to those of us that saw the meteoric rise but no plunge yet?  Have we settled out and missed being caught by the glitch or will we all eventually plunge and, hopefully, return?"

This is what keeps me up at night. I haven't been "plunged" yet, but I'm sure my day is coming!

12. snakebaby profile image66
    snakebabyposted 12 years ago

Since panda, my daily view counts went from ~700 to just above 60 which occurred after subdomain switch, till yesterday: it suddenly went back to above 600 views, out of which, roughly 270 came from google.com which is more than any single day I had before panda, only 9 were from HP

Never made any changes other than the ones I was forced to make by HP

Never added summaries

So obviously any twists as of rss, keyword densities, and this and that, are proven totally waste of time

My traffic may not last, but I'm glad I didn't spend even once second on twisting stuff when no one knew what was going on. I enjoyed life instead

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure adding summaries is a waste of time.  I've been picking away at adding them, and recently did quite a few.  I did see some improvement with some with a very short time of adding the summary.  My concern with writing summaries, though, is that if I don't write the right kind they could potentially drive away traffic instead.

1. snakebaby profile image66
        snakebabyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am planning to try out summaries, at least it feels like something good. Your concern is exactly mine, so I have to ask around for tips before spending the time

2. snakebaby profile image66

My increased traffic lasted only 24 - 48 hours, now they are gone over night

I don't think that's a fair conclusion. It's true that people were trying to work out what was causing the rises or falls in traffic, and we're beginning to conclude that right now, neither has much to do with Hub content.

However, following good practices (like removing unrelated links, not over-using keywords, optimizing headings, adding summaries etc) is always worthwhile and assuming this turmoil settles down, should be beneficial eventually.

13. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

That's cool, snakebaby. Gives us newbies hope! Those of us who don't know what's going on!! Do you do lots of linking to other sites? Backlinking and such?

1. snakebaby profile image66

I mostly don't intentionally do backlinking, there are some for bakugan hubs, but just one link to each from one of my related sites, most hubs do not have any backlinks. My experience so far seems to tell me backlinking or not does not matter (much). I don't have energy and time to do backlinking, I get headache. I could be wrong

14. daisyf1305 profile image73
    daisyf1305posted 12 years ago

Mine did go down a little I saw the arrows but if I don't tweet that happens and I figure it's the long weekend everyone is probably barbecuing anyway...

15. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Obviously, we all have our ups and downs. Noting that, now let's just all get on with it and write a few hubs. I have been dragging my feet on a couple.

16. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Okay, I guess I will stick my nose in here. lol

My traffic is presently up from it's lowest, which was 200-400 views a day. I'm presently at 800-1100 views a day. My average recently was upward climb, which held steady between 500-700 views a day and that started about a month ago.

Since I made the switch to the sub-domain, I've had one dip in traffic, but it returned the next day. My adsense earnings are returning to my pre-panda average, but that's only so far this month. I was only averaging about $3-$4 per day before panda, but afterward, I was down to about pennies a day and even some days with nothing at all.

I've broken the $2 mark so far 3 out of the 4 days of this month. wink

1. Rosie2010 profile image66

Wow, Cagsil!  This is almost my stats.. my traffic before subdomain change was exactly that 200-400 views a day.  After changing to subdomain, my traffic almost doubled and continued to rise to 800-1000 views a day.. and leveled off for almost two weeks now.  Because of the traffic increase, my Hubads earnings are higher than ever, this month (so far) is even higher than Adsense.  I'm a happy puppy.

Congrats on your Adsense earnings.. that's super! smile

17. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

And you do okay without it??

18. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 12 years ago

I did have over one thirty hubs and it has dwindled down now to 26 for one reason and another.

Of those 26 with the subdomain change, I put in place a small harmless linking campaign to my whole account. I actually wrote a hub on it as it seemed a good topic for the time.

The results are not outstanding, but I am seeing a steady increase in Google traffic each day. I still believe treating a subdomain as a new site and putting into practice our normal campaigns to get the domain seen will result in some form of success.

PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

My traffic has similarities to the graph that WoodsmensPost put up.   I joined the subdomains within hours of Paul E announcing that we could.  After a brief drop while my hubs were being indexed, the traffic rose to double and continued around that level (with one minor glitch) until the 22nd, or thereabouts.   At this point, when some people plunged, my traffic doubled again, so it was now 4 times the level it had been under panda.  This weekend that traffic fell off a cliff and is now the lowest it has ever been.  It really can't get much lower now, so I guess (hope?) the only way from here is up! lol

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I look at your Amazon pages I see that you are doing exactly what I used to do on mine. I copied the Amazon ad link text and used it in headers and else where.

It seems the rational thing to do but I reckon it is traffic suicide.

I first noticed this at least a year ago but back then it just meant the particular page disappeared from the Google index. Cutting the keyword repetition got my pages out of the sandbox.

Now, I reckon you can sink a whole sub-domain with enough of these kinds of pages- which unfortunately I still did (lazy me, not cleaning up earlier hubs when I knew there was a problem).

If you look at your '5 Best Drip Coffee Machines' you have the first H2 header as 'Presto 02811 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffeemaker'. This is copied straight from the Amazon ad text. Every other header is also copied from Amazon text.

Just going over to another hub: 'Best 3D TV: LG Infinia 55LW6500 55 Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV with Smart TV (review)' you have the text from the Amazon ad as your H1 header!

If you go check to see where the page is in Google- well it is barely in Google at all. There are dozens of pages using 'LG Infinia 55LW6500 55 Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV with Smart TV' in the title but yours is not to be found.

If I take that hubpage title and search for it with your name, PaulGoodman67, after it, your hub comes up at about 7 in the search- well below the Redgage page you presumably used for a backlink.

This is highly indicative of a penalty.

I got my pages out of the sandbox in a week simply by using product name keywords a lot more carefully.

It might be worth a try for you.

1. Ms Chievous profile image67
          Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmm.. I use the Amazon titles as Headers too.. I will go back through and delete some  of them to see if they make a diff.  Def worth a try!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Thanks for taking the time to look at my hubs, Will.  I will look into it.  I have unpublished the most recent 'Amazon hub' that I posted for now, which I was considering doing anyway.  This conicided with the traffic drop, which might or might not be related.  If this hub pushed me over some kind of threshold, my traffic should in theory improve within a few days.

Whether my traffic improves or not, I might still try your idea after a while as there is nothing lost with trying something and it wouldn't take me that long to do.  It does seem logical to use the Amazon ad title as a hub subtitle and those Amazon hubs were doing fine until Saturday (at least post-subdomain), but I am open to ideas.

On a related note, I see on Quantcast that the HubPage traffic surge as a whole may have reached a peak and be going back down.  The site in general may well be getting slapped again.  I hope I am wrong.

(difficult to assess as it was Labor Day yesterday, but the site traffic climb was so steep, any drop seems potentially significant, even if it's best to reserve judgement for now)

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

WoodmensPost, you repeat your Hub title in H2 headers repeatedly on some pages.

In this hub: 'Best Laptop Table In Bed - Folding Laptop Table - Laptop Stand' the keywords are repeated over and over again. This is full blown keyword stuffing.

Sometimes, the first text on the page is a repeat of the title in a H2 header eg this page: 'Put Down the Cell Phone and Walk Away From the Computer | Tweet' or this page :'Save Money Carrying A Water Bottle'. This is not recommended (it is specifically  forbidden on Squidoo).

Thanks Will I will take a look at my hubs again, some of the hubs you mentioned were written along time ago so its probably a good time to go back and look at these typo of errors

It is the early pages that usually have the problems- the ones written before we started to get the hang of this stuff.

3. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 12 years ago

My hub views are dropping and so is my score. It started when all the changes came about.

4. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Almost everyone who is complaining about traffic loss in this thread is really hammering the keywords hard.

Paradigmsearch, for example, sprays them around like confetti. In his hub on Whooping Cough he uses this phrase 'Whooping Cough – aka Pertussis' in the title and 6 H2 headers. Six!

This kind of page optimization died out many years ago.

It might be worth checking out this page: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/goog … lter/1874/

It is a really old page itself now and has some outmoded stuff- Google hates all duplicate content these days, for example. At the same time, it is still pretty much relevant.

One of the Pauls recently suggesting searching for your title (title, not URL).  If it doesn't come up on first page, take a hard look at the hub.

I found about 10 that were either not on page one or far down that page.  Every one of them had high levels of keyword use.

I went through them hard - removing many keywords, shortening many from a brand name to common name, changing whole sentences to say the same thing without use of that word.

Tweaking them immediately resulted in an organic traffic increase - it remains to see if it is just a homeymoon from the large change in the hubs or it actually did some good.

I doubt if overuse of keywords explains everyone's traffic loss but the more I look around the more I think, it is the commonest problem.

Lets face it, our hubs are now exposed to the full force of Google's algorithms. We can't afford these kind of issues.

Anyway, I'm glad your reworked hubs are showing some green shoots.

Not only are they showing a little traffic (an extra hundred views doesn't hurt!) but if it worked and is not simply honeymoon it should help the subdomain as a whole.  Improve overall ranking for everything, that is.

I hope the answer really is that simple.  What makes me wonder though is why these issues only seem to affect websites that Google has labelled "content farms" and not other sites like Blogger and Wordpress powered ones?

The article from 2005 was an interesting read, but doesn't seem to give any specific insight into why hubs that were doing well suddenly crashed in 2011.

1. charliegrumples profile image40
                charliegrumplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably because they are the type of sites that sp#nners use hoping they can feed off the quality of others rather than having to put some quality into their own.

2. wilderness profile image95

It is possible that there were enough "non-stuffed" hubs prior to the subdomain switch that it didn't matter for the site as a whole.

Now that you are, in effect, your own site such things have a much greater affect.

I think that the figures are so erratic at the moment that it's difficult to draw any conclusions.  Will has always been anti-SEO in my experience, which he is entitled to believe.  I don't use Amazon much on non-HP sites, so I am open-minded on the headings idea in regard to Amazon ads and it would make sense for Google to target them if they are out to get "content farms".  But the general idea that there is a simple explanation such as overuse of keywords and that is the reason that people's traffic is suddenly jumping up and down in an extreme way seems shaky to me at present.

I'm not complaining it is what it is. If traffic was steady even after the change why all of a sudden a 4 times traffic spike then jumps off a cliff ? Because I stuffed a few hubs not on purpose just as a noice writer? Well I think not. If you read my hub on serving homeless veterans , Albany housing coalition which for almost a year was page 1 is now sent to the gates of hell. No stuffing on that one so what's it's reason if it stands alone?

Your hub does not stand alone - it is tied to all the others in your subdomain.

I really wonder if part of the instability is that the entire subdomain is not being evaluated at the same time.  Can and does google crawl every hub in a subdomain and evaluate them all at the same time?  Or does it only crawl a few tonight and a few next week and re-evaluate each time it crawls?  I know it took a week or better to index all my stuff when it went to the subdomain.

In addition, all those links from other subdomains are certainly not being seen at the same time.  Google may only find 100 tonight, 1000 tomorrow and none the next day, changing it's evaluation of your subdomain each time it finds something.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I agree.  I appreciate Will's advice on the Amazon ads and have changed most of my amazon headings, but I can't go all the way and accept that general 'keyword stuffing' is causing widespread simultaneous penalties to be imposed on lots of hubbers - many of the plungers aren't even SEO users, like you say.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Although it looks like each Hub stands alone due to HubPages' layout, they don't. 

Each one of our Hubs is part of our sub-domain, exactly like each blog post is part of our Blogger blog.  Google has said that since Panda, a few "poor quality" posts can be enough to get your whole domain penalized. 

However like I said, this weird rollercoaster is happening to a variety of writers with different styles, so I'm not at all sure content is even relevant.

2. Rosie2010 profile image66

Thanks, Will and wilderness.  Your comments are very helpful and make a lot of sense.

Take a look at mine and see what you think.

I honestly think it's pointless to try to explain this rollercoaster ride by looking at people's content.  Look at Izzy - she had a surge, a crash, another surge and now possibly a drop again. She hasn't changed her content, so there must be some other explanation, possibly related to Google re-evaluating all the other HubPages sub-domains. 

Some people did make changes and their traffic improved, but in the current volatile conditions, who knows whether that was a result of the changes or just coincidence?

How about this kind of theory:  (I don't even think we're supposed to be trying to figure this stuff out, so maybe I'll be hit by lightning or something??  lol)  (but it's intriguing)

I don't know how the bots works at all, so overlook my over-simplified (and inaccurate) descriptions of the processes that I imagine.  But how about this kind of thing:

First, maybe there's something that, if a person makes a lot of changes, signals the bots that something has been changed; and maybe the thing kind of goes into a "holding pattern" until the bots come around again (or otherwise "figure out" if all the changes were OK on each Hub, or even on the subdomain on the whole).

And, how about if either independent of that type of thing or else in conjunction with it, there are factors associated the Hubs, themselves, or else the author/subdomain; and the number of those factors contributes to further "analysis" by the bots (which may be "assigning" or "penalizing" with some version of a point system, depending on each and every one of those "points" on which the Hub/subdomain is being assessed).

The number of Hubs on a subdomain would of course increase the number of potential things that needed to be "assessed", and the more "fancy things" someone did to however many of his own Hubs, the more "assessment" by bots, on each of many "points", would be involved.

I think of my account as a simple one.  It doesn't have all that many Hubs, and my approach has always been very basic.  So, I'd think, comparing a less complex set of factors to a more complex one (maybe on  someone with a similar number of Hubs but lots of different and smaller little SEO-type things added in), if there were something that put on something like a "holding pattern", it could 1) set off more "alarms" per Hub and/or subdomain and maybe result in a longer time in a "holding pattern" (or whatever it might be called, and I'm guessing the bots don't "hold" in one place for too long anyway, but you know what I mean as far whether traffic does anything goes).  Another kind of complexity factor could be the person who doesn't tend to write a wide variety of types of Hubs, but instead writes x percent of this kind and x percent of another kind.  Maybe that slows down any "assessment" by bots too.

What I wonder about is whether the "complexity" of factors in the subdomain and/or each Hub or all Hubs combined might put result in that longer "assessing and slowing things up" factor; and whether there's an exponential factor involved in terms of the degree of surges and drops and/or the speed at which they take place.

I tend to have longer Hubs (and simple ones).  Maybe, if my subdomain is a "simple one", but the Hubs are longer, that triggers enough of a slowing up in order that the bots do at least whatever they do in terms of grammar and looking for iffy stuff, but maybe one reason my own surges and dips have been less dramatic (with the dips, so far, not lasting as long as some) is that the only real thing that catches the "assessing eye" of the bots is the length of the Hubs??  There's a lot of stuff those bots don't have to "assess" when it comes to my Hubs (still, there's a little here or there other than just grammar).

Why x percent of the "top Hubbers"?  Maybe because they're the ones who put more (of one thing or another) into their Hubs in their aims for quality and content/information.  Maybe the present "visibility" of them means they attract more frequent "assessment" by the bots process?  One point is that I've done nothing but add a few Hubs since Panda, so I haven't been "throwing any curve balls" by making a lot of changes to my Hubs.  I wonder if that would mean my own group of Hubs tend to get "assessed" more quickly, or at least without involving too many factors beyond the Hubs themselves and this site??

This might be a completely ignorant and wacko bunch of guesses I'm making; but if this kind of thing is at all a factor for those who have had, to one degree or another, the dip/surge pattern; it would mean that only SOME (if any at all) of the many different "traits" of a Hub were "bad" in the first place, and that, maybe, it would have just taken more time for the bots to give the Hub(s) the OK.  I'd think a lot of changing of a lot of things might further slow up the bot process (and maybe even trigger some kind of "more in-depth assessment").

Basically, I'm kind of wondering if (within the overall context of whatever the bots are "assessing"), a problem for at least some people may be the efforts to improve the Hubs (according to what people now think may "improve" them in Google's eyes), whether or not the actual "improvements" were even necessary.

What would account for my own, less dramatic, surges and dips?  I'm always making some small change to something here or there.  300 Hubs times a few changes to some can add up.  If people in the "top" few hundred (or whatever) Hubs are being more scrutinized by bots or if the HP domain, itself, is under ongoing "assessment" by them,  then that would account for the less dramatic, but clearly consistent, pattern of my own traffic.

Forgive my rambling ponderings/guesses, but even it's all the just that, maybe the ideas will trigger some more "scientifically correct" spin-off, but related, ideas for someone.  All along, my instinct has told me that people should hold off some on making changes unless they know, without a doubt, that there's something spammy, or borderline spammy, about their Hubs.  I know everyone and his Hubs are different, but I still kind of think people shouldn't rush to doing anything big to their Hubs.

(For the last few hours, at least, my own traffic seems to be hovering around the same place longer than it does when it's in it an "up" or a "down" mode.  In the last x number of weeks, I don't think I've seen this kind of "stillness" in the 24-hour numbers.  I'm not feeling awfully good about it.  big_smile )

1. skye2day profile image67
            skye2dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quite the theory. Sounds good. It will pick up, Keep the Faith girl. You will do fine. Hugs to you.

5. MarkaryJones profile image58
      MarkaryJonesposted 12 years ago

hi, im new to this site.. do people really make money writing articles?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We try.

6. thejeffriestube profile image61
      thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

Sure they do, but it does involve work. It isn't just "post some crap" and the money flys in. People don't read articles that look like they were thrown together. In fact, most of the policing of new articles falls on the community, and obivously crap, non-english, or spun articles are instantly flagged. My advice is to be yourself and write what you know. There is alot of information here, using the search at the top, to guide you. Once you get into the swing of things, you'll find it easier.

1. MarkaryJones profile image58
        MarkaryJonesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thank you smile

7. Len Cannon profile image86

Well,  after dropping 75% in one day, it seems like my visitors are rocketing back upwards.

I have no idea what's going on anymore, wish I did. Just a huge rollercoaster.

8. dungeonraider profile image85
      dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

@Len - same here, wild fluctuations nearly daily.

9. toygurus profile image56
      toygurusposted 12 years ago

What I don't get is why some accounts are doing well and some are doing so poorly. There has to be a reasonable explanation.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was the whole point of switching to subdomains.  It allows Google to be more discriminating across the HubPages site, separating what they view as better from not-so-good.

Changes seen are more isolated and reflective of your own Hubs than the site as a whole, which means that everyone needs to analyze their own stats and reactions more closely and you can't depend on the advice of others as much anymore.

Exactly.

You either succeed or fall on your own merit.

Hows the views looking Dave? Mine went up over the weekend and then dropped a bit today..its weird, Google took one high value click away from me last night which was annoying..I checked my Analytics to see where the clicks were coming from as well.
            If I meet last months earnings again this month I'll be happy!

My traffic went up over the weekend too and dropped a bit today. I figured the opposite would of happened.

Even though am using HP ads, my adsense earnings are higher than I expected. If I can make at least 300 dollars this month, I'll be jumping for joy lol. 

My earnings from yesterday are pending, but I believe I made payout with HP already.

I wish I had more time for my personal sites at the moment, I know I could make a lot with them but I'm doing my bosses site.  Yes its a nice feeling when its over $300.. I think thats about £150

2. toygurus profile image56
          toygurusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay thanks. So I guess the people who are hit by this should improve their quality.

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

OK, more craziness.  Mine zoomed back up for a day and a half and are falling again.  I'm gonna stop looking. sad

How?  How could you stop looking?  I certainly don't have that much will power! big_smile

The best I could do was stop "wheel-spinning" and "trying to predict" (in my own head and, to a large degree, on here with others who have also been collectively wheel-spinning).  Looking?  I'm looking as much as ever.   hmm  Basically, I closed the book on the subdomain drama and called it "Whatever It Is On Any Given Day".  smile  That's not saying I don't re-open the book and take a look every so often, but I do close it again after taking that look.    Before, that book had been left open on my "table" for weeks and weeks (months?).  I've had to clear that table and mostly move on.  I'll deal with what happens when it happens when it happens, but I guess the main difference is I'll treat it separately from the "new" subdomain thing and instead "address it from within".

11. skye2day profile image67
      skye2dayposted 12 years ago

In time it is possible. Some earn quicker then others. In my experience do not plan to earn for months and months out. Anything worth while takes time. Rome was not built in a day. I hoped for income fast and it did not happen. It was two years before I got a check from Google. Write from your heart, quality content that helps others and you will be a winner!! I have found it is not always about the money. We reap what we sow. GOD has Blessed me in more ways then I can count since I have been at the hubs. Blessings to you.

12. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

Sick of this whole thing...jumped up to 500+ views, then down to 68.  I was planning on starting another hub, but what's the point.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I'd started 5 new hubs when traffic soared.

Now, I've just taken the main keywords and started a new blog instead.

2. charliegrumples profile image40
        charliegrumplesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed my hubs and a few mini sites going up and down like a yo yo .. my own instinct is to trust that Google is doing what it can to give priority content and continue to try to write well so that when it settles down I won't be drowning but we will have to wait and see obviously

3. David 470 profile image82

When my traffic is down I feel less motivation to start making new hubs as well...

I have the drive to write hubs, I just dont have the time at the moment!

13. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 12 years ago

Ouch, this is terrible right now. My hub views rose, declined, rose again, and now they are falling. Man, I hope this does not last. sad

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
        Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLOLO

14. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I suggest an easy solution, although I have a feeling some will not attempt this.

Ignore your stats for a month.

Write x number of hubs in that month.

Simple.

Have you any idea how many mental patients that would produce?  There are over 200,000 published users on HubPages! Add in spouses, children, boyfriends and girlfriends, brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends and it is quite a number!  lol

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Judging from some of the threads, probably quite a few.

But actually with over 200,000 hubbers, there is such a small percentage posting in these threads.  Maybe pull away from the computer for a while and go eat ice cream. big_smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Icecream ALWAYS worked for me lol

1. JimmyTH profile image60
              JimmyTHposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not interested in ice cream. I think this crash is due to Hubpages messing around with the system, and I'll watch for awhile longer before I start pulling hubs down and using the material elsewhere. Google Panda can do whatever the heck it wants, I just write stuff and I'll probably be on the internet longer than Google will. Maybe this didn't happen to everybody on hubpages but it happened to lots of us who were not doing anything wrong, just plying our trade. I would not have done the subdomain change, because I would have worried this would happen. To me it seems that the partnership with HP isn't a good one, stupid people are running are running the show. If they don't convince me otherwise, quickly, somebody please remember to turn out the lights out because I'll be gone already. Currently there's no revenue here, that's the bottom line.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Jimmy, before you pull your hubs, check that they haven't been plagiarised first, otherwise you cannot re-use your own material.

You have 46 hubs, less than 10% of the hubs I have, and almost all of mine have been copied, even those that never see views.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
                Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you finish your icecream, go and look at the 1000 other posted threads on this site that have suggested and said the exact same thing as you Jimmy.

Its been nearly eight months and the continual 'Its HubPages fault' tirade is VERY tiresome now.

We have gone through some HubPages staff not handling some situations well, also we have had some Hubbers not handle the same as well either.

Many people write here for many reasons and alot may write for reasons that may or may not interest you and I.

One has an excellent platform for show-casing your writing here, from people writing their very first articles dipping their toes in the exciting world of writing on an open platform up to seasoned professionals whom use the site as part of a much larger portfolio.

HubPages is always going through incremental changes and we are, whether one likes it or not, unless your getting all your traffic directly from an email list or social networks, will be at the mercy of Google and other search engines for your articles.

How is HubPages messing around with the 'system'. What bloody system?

At the end of the day for your articles, you will score some runs and other days you will lose. I am pretty sure HubPages and most authors here are trying to do what is best for their members and their fellow writers. I do not see ANY benefit for Hubpages trying to screw anyone over. How the heck would that benefit them?

I feel that once you read about a thousand times its the lunatics running the asylum, and I think otherwise, I have become rather frustrated and tired of all the whinging bitching and moaning.

Step up people, do or do not, there is no inbetween.

Don't worry if anyone wants to ban me from here, I think its been I impose myself away from here for a month.

Its been great associating with you all, you know who you are.....

I agree.

15. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I'm very frustrated and have one foot out the door already.  I have many, many irons in the fire right now and really don't want to waste any more time here if this is the way it's going to be.

Exhibit A:  TODAY'S STATS

86 published hubs

Seriously, Google, seriously?

1. IzzyM profile image86

I thought your traffic was on the climb again since this thread started? Another plunge?

How about you, Izzy?  You can't seem to make up your mind either (typical woman! big_smile) but the last I saw you were headed up.  Still going or have you turned around again?

1. IzzyM profile image86

I turned around less than 2 days after I saw a massive increase. Aw well, back to the drawing board!

Oh darn!  Now that you say that, I remember seeing you report it.

I'll just bet it turns again, though - better be careful at that drawing board.  It would be terrible to interrupt something that actually works if google would just stop playing games.

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
          DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was climbing and then it turned around in two days and completely bottomed out!

Write the numbers down on a piece of paper if you need to, but I think most people are giving too much attention to the fickle numbers.
            For anyone who really depends on these earnings, the numbers might be more important, but for most of us it is a distraction.
            Get on with your life and write as much as your inspiration dictates, whenever and whenever, about whatever.

Rochelle, I don't disagree; but I don't think it's such a bad thing if people (who have the time or interest, or even wish to try to contribute to the "collective figuring out what's going on",  here or there) engage in a little following of the "saga of it all" (although I do think some perspective, patience, and just a hint of sense-of-humor are important if people choose to "saga-follow").

2. Stacie L profile image87

I certainly feel your pain DIYweddingPlanner!
        I'm in the same boat...very depressing..sad

16. iviskei profile image69
      iviskeiposted 12 years ago

Oh my....if you haven't signed up for the hubpages ad program, you might want to do that. I've made much more with it than I have with google adsense. Don't give up!

17. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I was doing so well with the upswing, I would have made pay-out in a few weeks!

18. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

My views are pretty much from backlinks. I'd rather build backlinks on my own site.

19. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Just to put the traffic thing into some kind of perspective, or more realistically, just to add my experience.

My search traffic improved a lot with the introduction of subdomains.  Difficult to tell exactly because the subdomain introduction also screwed Analytics or rather changed the way certain traffic was measured.

Then it doubled with the Panda thing a couple of weeks ago.

Pretty good huh?

Well.

178 hubs.  55 Google sourced views on a good day.  A good HP ads day for me is 25 cents.

I'm not complaining.  Just sharing my lack of success - Panda or no Panda.

20. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years ago

My other account has just plunged.  This one is still holding steady, but it seems as if it's only a matter of time.

1. profile image0
        Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got this from Team Hubpages on my queries:
        Hello,

I'm not sure I understand your email.  Traffic fluctuations will continue on new subdomain accounts for several more weeks, until search engine algorithms assess the quality and reputation of your individual subdomain. You may want to verify that your Hubs are easy to read, are not benefiting from excessing/dubious back linking practices, and are not keyword stuffed. Let us know if you have any questions.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57

LOL, classic HP!

"Me no understandee!"

Like they've not been monitoring it closely.

While what they're saying is essentially true, trying to pass this off as the sort of everyday fluctuations commonly experienced by other web presences is absurd.

For those affected, traffic may come back tomorrow, and it may come back with a vengeance. Or, it may never come back at all.  At this point, nobody knows.  And while I could easily be wrong, I personally believe that this is going to hit everyone, one by one, sooner or later (so I wouldn't go analysing your hubs, and making changes just yet).

21. Rosie2010 profile image66
      Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Party is over for me, too.  My traffic took a nosedive yesterday, going down by the hour today.  Can you hear me scream?

22. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Not sure where to post this, since several threads have a similar slant....

I've noticed one sort of peculiar pattern in my stats, during these days when so many of us have watched the plunge and surge phenomenon.  That is, there seem to be two peak periods for me each day - early afternoon (no surprise) and around midnight (surprise, to me). 

If I received a great deal of traffic from around the world, that would not surprise me quite so much, but I have not seen a geographical correlation so far.  Each day in the evening, I have had the feeling that my stats were starting to plunge, but then by midnight they have risen to their previous level, or even higher.  (Keep in mind, my numbers are not great to begin with.)

Not sure whether this will continue, but it has been very interesting (and peculiar) so far.  Any ideas or comments?

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Midnight: people coming home after a night out?

1. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting idea - could be!  But, one of the reasons it puzzles me is that I have not seen this in the past.  Perhaps (back then) my numbers were just so low that it wasn't as easy to notice. lol

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57

I think you misunderstand what the 'plunge' is.

It's not your traffic dropping off a bit at certain times.  It's your traffic gone, completely, dead.  No traffic. 

Yours sounds like normal fluctuations.

1. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was nowhere in my post that indicated that I thought I was experiencing the plunge.  In fact, I have posted elsewhere that I have not done so and that my traffic has been almost consistently higher than it was pre-Panda.

My first sentence said, in so many words, that I wasn't sure where [in which thread] to post that.

I had noticed an odd pattern in my stats that I thought might prove interesting to other Hubbers.  I figure that when everyone is so uncertain about the actual plunge and surge and what is causing them, all kinds of data about stats can trigger new ideas to help analyze what is going on, and that was my reason for posting.  But another thread may have been a better location for the info.  With several different ones discussing the same general topics, it's hard to keep up with what has appeared in which one.

As for being "normal fluctuations," a midnight peak in traffic has not been a normal fluctuation for me, based on all that I recall seeing before.

23. jcmayer777 profile image65
      jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

I hoped maybe Google missed me, but today my traffic is almost completely gone.  I was doing really well for a little while - averaging $20 per day, but with traffic down somewhere in the 80% range, there's no chance of that for a while.

Maybe it's going to come back in time - hopefully before November, when the real earning season begins.

24. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
      crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

Mine currently is the best it ever has been. This week it has topped above 10.000 Hub Views on several days and today it should be well above 10.000 hub views.

25. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I'm back to plunging now... have been for 2 days.  My hub stats look like a kid playing with Lite Bright.  But, a kid who only has the blue lights.  It's just downright sad. 

Oh well, it WAS fun to surge, anyway.  I'll just remain patient and somewhat optimistic.

26. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 12 years ago

My hub score dropped to 90 when it has been up to 97. I have not been at 90 in ages, until today. Just not sure what is going on. I have also been having trouble just getting on hubpages and I'm not having problems getting on any other sites.
      I have not made one cent this year. I'm not a great hubber so many more have much better hubs then I do but before all this change I at least made 100.00 in 2 years and the check came at Christmas that was nice. It won't happen again at the rate I'm going. Glad I don't have to feed my kids with hubpages.

1. JimmyTH profile image60
        JimmyTHposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I never made a lot of money here but hubs was a good place to put some odd material now and then and I was starting to make enough that I wanted to put up more hubs and improve things. When Google Panda went into effect I saw almost no change in my hub traffic so I felt pretty good. Then HubPages started messing with things. The reduction in Amazon ads cut my Amazon revenue back and didn't improve page views. It did focus more attention on Google ads, which I think is what Google Panda is actually all about. But, the clincher is the subdomain change, that has crushed my numbers back to where they were when I started here. Now it seems pointless to rebuild hubs and hub traffic, because I can publish at other places that are doing better. Gee thanks for all the help, HubPages. I'll write for places that don't dance to Google.

27. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

They are still doing the "traffic fluctuations" line? Calling plunging a fluctuation is like calling lying on the floor a bodily movement. I have stopped writing hubs altogether.  No traffic, no earnings, no point. The 92 author score is a dark joke. 92 for less than half a visit per hub per day?

1. sofs profile image75
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly don't give up yet.. I was there .. miserable.. but never vented out.. the traffic slowly improved and it has been stable..  just hold on.. things will get better.. hang in there,... my best wishes to you smile

28. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

That's what I was told in the e-mail they sent me.  This is beyond a "fluctuation!"

More like my hub being overrun by a steam roller.  I see my authorscore keeps dropping by the day, but I'm with you, Psycheskinner, just don't see the point if no one's going to read it and there's no money in it.  If I was gonna do that, I'd just keep a diary! smile

29. Len Cannon profile image86

It is pretty crazy. It really is all or nothing right now. Take a look at my traffic swings from the past month.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab203/human123/trafficswing.gif

1. Stacie L profile image87

Len; what program is that?

30. nell79 profile image78
      nell79posted 12 years ago

My views were steadily improving. I had a slight drop after switching domains, but then it started to go up again. Now they've dropped way down again. I'm hoping it's temporary.... hmm

31. wampyrii profile image63
      wampyriiposted 12 years ago

Looks like Google Analytics. My visitors graph looks virtually the same with those two nasty traffic slumps appearing Sep 1st to 3rd followed by a jump and then another drop Sep 19 to...well, as of Sep 21 (today) I'm still in a slump of virtually no traffic at all. Very tiresome.

32. kiwi91 profile image64
      kiwi91posted 12 years ago

Mine continues to sink by the day. Traffic dropped on my account 50% in February, then down 72% on August 8th. Overall since February, down 85%. I had a nice little spike from Aug 31-Sept 5 where I saw my highest traffic ever, but it quickly sank to the worst traffic levels yet. Very volatile and discouraging.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)