HubPages and eBay Update

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (154 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

We have an exciting new opportunity on HubPages to announce for the start of the holiday season.  Starting in October, members of the HubPages Earning Program will have the ability to earn by placing eBay shopping modules on Hubs.  You will sign-up to the eBay Publisher Network within your HubPages Earning Program account.  Your eBay earnings will be tracked and paid to you by HubPages.

We will keep you posted with additional details as we get closer to launching.

1. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know, today I was sitting in the bath and I was thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder what HubPages is going to do with that whole Amazon thing... I bet something's going to happen with eBay, like it will be easier to get accepted or something."

Straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange.

1. Lissie profile image77
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How is this a change? I've been paid by eBay for capsules on Hubpages for years?

1. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People (like me) who don't already have an eBay account have not been able to get one through HubPages.  That was not always the case, but it has been since I've been here.

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
            K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lissie, you'll note Paul says, "Your eBay earnings will be tracked and paid to you by HubPages" not by eBay.   So I assume it will be similar to HP Ads and means Hubbers won't need their own eBay account, which will solve a big problem for most newer Hubbers who can't get one.

I assume that means all eBay capsules will become part of the new program, so it will no longer be possible to display our own eBay affiliate ID?

3. vietnamvet68 profile image60
          vietnamvet68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's just another way for Hubpages to RIP you off.

1. Ania L profile image80
            Ania Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it's so bad why are you here? Or do you enjoy being ripped off wink

2. DreamsInBloom profile image74
            DreamsInBloomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I was able to get my own eBay account then I almost certainly would make more money that way...but eBay has become extremely picky about giving affiliate accounts now. So this actually gives me some ability to earn from eBay that I would not have otherwise. In fact, it opens whole new opportunities for me. I'm excited.

1. profile image0
              gogogoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I was not able to get my own ebay acc.  looking forward to this

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
            galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Ania L: You have accolades for 100 hubs, so why are there only 2 hubs in your profile. Looks like 98 were removed. Seems like I should be questioning whose ripping who off.

2. Nagmani profile image58
        Nagmaniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

can u tell me what's price for a click?

1. Camping with Kids profile image67
          Camping with Kidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ePn pays for the number of people that click on your link to go to ebay.

ePn determines the value of that click based on what those people do when they get to ebay - how much income it generated for ebay

a lookie-lou click has little value, a click that resulted in a sale has more value

ePn averages that out for the month, then multiplies it by your total number of clicks for the month.

for example:

a QCV (quality click value) of 24 cents - times - 1839 clicks, gives an affiliate payout of $441.36

GA

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nifty! Thanks again:)

3. MSantana profile image66
      MSantanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul: Is there any way that you promote partnerships among hub writers? e.g., good marketers with high rank/score writers in a way that everybody benefits from the site? Mastermind, collaborations, joint adventures, and other type of community collaborations can only strengthen the site. Thanks.

4. the clean life profile image70
      the clean lifeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul and HubPages.  One more great thing from HP. Keep up the great work you do!

5. tirelesstraveler profile image59
      tirelesstravelerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this decision part of the deal between Amazon and CA to forgo tax if Amazon brings jobs to CA?

1. Greekgeek profile image80
        Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What deal? I'm still missing my old Amazon Associates account, shut down after CA passed the Nexus Tax in June.

1. WannaB Writer profile image87
          WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. Either I'm missing something or there is no affiliate plan in place I can use to make money on HubPages until this eBay opportunity is revealed. I'd rather write than sell, but aside from contests and ads, I currently have no way I'm aware of to earn anything from HubPges, since it isn't very Zazzle friendly.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

You make money on HubPages with Adsense and the HubPages Ad program.  For most Hubbers, those are their big earners, with Amazon and eBay income much less even if they use affiliates.

If you're in a state that allows it, you can use Amazon capsules.  You can also use affiliate links to reputable companies in your text (but no banners, and no Clickbank).

Maybe most people do, but I won't see an Adsense payout for at least another year at this rate. HubPages Ad programs is better, but I can still make more per day on myLot with a lot less effort. It's still peanuts, and there's not residual income, but it adds up much faster. Squidoo offers me the opportunity to promote my Zazzle store with Zazzle images that show on a lens and help illustrate it and add eye appeal. That's very difficult on HubPages. I have been let go by amazon, since I live in CA. I hate affiliate marketing except for Zazzle, but it's affiliate sales that those who don't get the most page views rely on for most of their income from lenses and hubs -- as far as I know.

I'm surprised.  Once you've written your Hubs, surely HubPages is no effort at all?  You do understand that the only things that make you money on HubPages is your Hubs - you don't enhance your earnings in any way by commenting on other people's Hubs, asking questions, answering, being on the forums etc?   All those activities are sociable and do good things for your scores, but scores have nothing to do with earning.

I see you've been here for two years, but have you been active that long?  You have a very small HubPages portfolio for being here two years.

I was largely inactive my first year, and my prime writing site was Squidoo. I realize that Squidoo and HubPages make residual income and continue to earn by page views. Sometimes comments and interactions bring people back for more pageviews. I know that, otherwise, they don't earn anything extra but might add some more keywords.

Since I'm busy at many sites, I have to alternate between them, since I also run a home business that involves constant updating of a 600-page website, selling inventory I have to keep in stock, and shipping. I write in my spare time. I have written three new hubs this week. I have not done much at Squidoo this week at all. The rest of my time I've spent at myLot, for the past two weeks, trying to establish myself there so I can then cut back when I reach my current goal. I realize I will need many more hubs before I really start making anything here, but I do believe some people must get some affiliate sales here, since they do list items from Amazon and eBay. Those sales are what make most people their money on Squidoo, since only the top 80,000 lenses get any of the Adsense money there. I assumed the same might be true here.

My goal for this year was to write one hub or lens every week, work on my web site, add on the average one new Zazzle product a day, and contribute as I feel inspired to other sites. Thus my inactivity on HubPages sometimes. When I don't have time to actually write a hub, I like to stay active in the community in other ways, as I have time. Everything isn't about  money.

I understand that on Squidoo, if you're not active in the community your lenses can disappear into obscurity.  On HubPages, social activity makes no significant difference.

Not necessarily.  There was one Hubber here, pre-Panda, who was cashing out every month with only 6 Hubs.  It does help to create some links to your Hubs to get them ranking, though.

6. LhouvieBlue profile image59
      LhouvieBlueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I so happy to hear this news, I'm looking forward on it.

7. Musarrat Khalid profile image59
      Musarrat Khalidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great News for us to make some money sitting at home.

8. Brian Anderson profile image82
      Brian Andersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great to hear..  Looking forward to it..

9. Gunnar22 profile image58
      Gunnar22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am new to this just posted my first hub today. I am having difficulty setting up the ebay deal. Not sure what they mean about creating a text file through text editor or Upload the file to the base directory. Any advise?

1. leahlefler profile image94
        leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Gunnar22 - currently new HubPages members (including myself) can't get an eBay account with HP alone - if you own your own website, you can incorporate the text file to prove you are the website owner and obtain an eBay account. eBay used to allow HP users to create associate accounts at whim, and stopped that practice some time ago. It looks like a new deal is being created, so new HP members will be able to have eBay capsules added to their hubs at some point in the future.

1. Gunnar22 profile image58

I do have a website and they sent me an email. I just don't know how to incorporate a text file. I am not even sure what a text file is. How do I do that and what program do I need to do a text file?

1. leahlefler profile image94
            leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK - you have to find the root directory and copy and paste the code eBay gave you into it. glennstok has an article about how to incorporate your eBay partner account into hubpages: http://glennstok.hubpages.com/hub/Probl … ation-eBay

1. Gunnar22 profile image58

Thanks, I will try that. I appreciate your assistance.

2. ninabillian profile image40
          ninabillianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot, i will try it

10. kannanwrites profile image91
      kannanwritesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's excellent Paul.

11. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for keeping us apprised Paul!

12. rrtalley profile image60
      rrtalleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use the Amazon capsule to promote my own book, "Child on the Home Front".  Looking forward to using the new eBay capsule to do the same there since I already list my book on eBay.  Thanks for the additional advertising tool!

13. AliciaMarie27 profile image60
      AliciaMarie27posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is excellent! I was wondering when this option would become available! Thank you for sharing this wonderful news! smile

14. ellsaku profile image60
      ellsakuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah i agree with you, very supportive and very good indeed everything updated

15. SuperheroSales profile image57
      SuperheroSalesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I appreciate you all creating more opportunities for us to earn!  I am very excited and can't wait to hear more details!  Thank you for giving me something to look forward to!

To those who are worried about the change, think of the quote "I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never came true!"  Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know). Things will unfold the way they were meant to unfold and there is no sense in worrying about it when you have no idea how things will turn out.  It sounds like things are already in motion.  Good luck to you all!

1. This Old Man Says profile image61
        This Old Man Saysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am real new to HUB Pages and I have  a WEB site that was hosted by Website Business Inc. It appears they have gone out of business and I need to open a new WEB site. I am really impressed with my early experience with HUB Pages and now this forum. I want to compliment your positive outlook on life. I agree that being depressed about a change you have no control or reference on how it will affect you is needless depression and anxiety. Be positive about the change and more than likely you will enjoy the results. Predicting the results is a gamble and now you play the odds. You may not enjoy the results!

16. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages is doing well for its users. It is becoming more and more user friendly.

17. liftandsoar profile image59
      liftandsoarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I try to sign up with EBay I get the following:

Unfortunately, eBay has changed the terms of their affiliate program and you will not be approved unless you operate a site on it's own domain. Do not bother applying using your presence on HubPages. However, if you do run a site on your own domain, you can use this link to signup for the eBay Partner Network.

Now what?

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

liftandsoar - Wait until October when HP will announce the eBay program under the HubPages Earning Program. You will be able to sign up for it successfully at that time that way. In addition, you'll get tracking and payments direct from HP.  Much better.

1. liftandsoar profile image59
          liftandsoarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

18. profile image0
      gogogoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

looking forward to the launch of ebay on hubpages, as I have not been able to sign up for the present ebay

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Wow! Thanks!

3. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I am thrilled by this announcement Paul! What a great move for HPads. As for melbel,...can you please let me know what my future will be? wink
    Thanks for another earning opportunity on HP! smile

4. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

How will this effect my current ebay programs?  Will I not be earning through their current PPC program anymore ?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image60
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would also appreciate an answer to this question.  Presumably the long-running, and established ebay capsules system is still business as usual?

1. vietnamvet68 profile image60
        vietnamvet68posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's just another Hubpages way of getting rich off of you, while you make peanuts.

Is that so?  I may be critical of some of HP's decisions, but they've not (completely) lost my trust, just yet.

I've done quite nicely from HP over the years in terms of dollar, and so presumably, they've also done quite nicely from my efforts too.  It's symbiotic.  And as long as it remains that way, I shan't be cutting all ties for the moment.

Though, I am still concerned about the coming ebay changes, should they affect me.  Which, unfortunately, my guess is they will. hmm

2. This Old Man Says profile image61
          This Old Man Saysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a retired disabled US Marine  and it appears by your name that you are also a VET. I was retired in 1966. I want to thank you for your service and wish you well. I have read several of your postings and you sound depressed with HUB Pages. I hope things change for the better. I am not pretending to be your answer in any way, I just want to wish you the best,

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are still working out the final details with eBay.  As we get closer to launch of the opportunity in October, we will continue to update the community.  To the extent any changes are required for existing eBay modules, we will communicate those in advance and allow for plenty of time for Hubbers to make updates.

I kind of wish that this hadn't been announced until all of the final details were available.  As I've been working on quite a few new ebay focused hubs recently (and have ebay on most of my existing hubs). And It would be nice to know that this 'exciting' update isn't going to present me with problems.  I already have lots of questions:

* If you're not a member of the Hubads program will you no longer be able to utilise ebay?
        * If you don't have Hub ads turned on, will you no longer be able to utilise ebay?
        * Will ebay earnings under the new system be grouped in with Hubads earnings, or kept seperate? 
        * Will our earnings still be worked out separately using our own quality scores/EPC's (and be affected by traffic sent to ebay via other platforms), or based on Hubpages quality as a whole, or revert back to the old system of a percentage (I believe it was 50%) of ebays takings, or something else?
        * Presumably we'll lose access to the statistics available within the ebay partner reports, or will there be detailed stats available within HP (and I do mean detailed, showing what hub made sales, what items, etc.)?
        * Could this mean having to once again go back through every single hub with ebay on to make changes?

Just for starters.

I understand that this could be a great opportunity for those who currently don't have access to the ebay program, I just hope that it doesn't mess things up too badly for those who are already (and have been for some time) using it quite effectively as it stands.

@ mrvoodoo - I share your concerns, especially with ebay earnings determined by QCP. I would not be happy if mine was diluted due to clicks diverted through HP for payout.

Normally I am not an pessimists - but with HP's all-or-nothing approach to previous fixes - I am concerned individual ePN accounts will be scrapped in favor of ALL ebay capsule earnings going through the HP Earnings program.

I have other ePN streams, that combined with HP clicks, usually achieve a respectable QCP number. Subtract the clicks from  HP and it will mean one more thing I have to re-source.

I'm glad it will help HP members that could not get an ePN account, but I won't be happy if they get theirs at my expense.

GA

"Pay attention HP, don't follow in ebay's footsteps"

GA

I'm not sure what you mean by "diluted"?  I very much doubt clicks will be "diverted through" HP for payout.  If HP introduce a central system, it would be totally separate from our personal eBay accounts so it wouldn't affect them in any way.

I'd say that's a high possibility, since it could be complicated to enable one capsule to work for either the HP eBay program or our personal ones.

Are you saying you're getting a better number on HP than on your other streams?  eBay doesn't really care about quantity, just quality - so losing your HP stream won't matter that much, if you're getting reasonable quality on your other streams.

Disagree completely.  As long as it's engaged, and not just junk traffic you're sending through, quantity, can very much be a factor used to determine the quality of an account. In terms of an incoming traffic (potential customer) stream.

I use ebay.de elsewhere to target a specific rare, and quite expensive item.  But even though a relatively high percentage of the visitors I send through convert, because it's only a handful (at best) each day, it doesn't make me a huge amount of money.  I make far more at times from campaigns that send through more traffic, but make considerably less winning bid revenue for ebay.  Because presumably, this traffic must be 'engaged' in other ways.  Bidding but not winning, adding items to watch lists, just generally having a good snoop around before leaving, etc.

Without quantity, it can be difficult to establish quality.

I thought QPC was calculated almost entirely on your conversion rate (i.e. how many clicks result in a sale).

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh God, not more updates please..... sad

It will be a right royal pain if we have to do more updates, but I recognize it's essential.

There must be very few Hubbers who are eBay affiliates in their own right these days, so the inconvenience to us will be more than offset by the benefit to the majority.

3. Elijah S profile image59
        Elijah Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If some details are still being negotiated, perhaps it is possible to suggest (a detail) that existing affiliates would have the option to keep their independent accounts. Judging from the responses, this seems to be the preferred course of action, and I'm joining the others in this. Though still a "plunger," I hope to regain my traffic and earnings.

Regardless, this sounds like a great opportunity for hubbers, and certainly increases Hubpages' appeal to writers. It appears that lately eBay have been very picky about their prospective affiliates, and the team's ability to strike a deal with them is quite impressive.

4. Janet21 profile image81
        Janet21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am a member of EPN and am very happy with what I earn through the Ebay capsules.  Now, you are saying there may be changes to these capsules?  Why can't the new program be just for those that can't get accepted into EPN and leave the rest of us alone?  The last thing I want to do is have to update all my hubs AGAIN.

By the way, Squidoo calls them modules,  Hubpages calls them capsules.  Just fyi.

1. DreamsInBloom profile image74
          DreamsInBloomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I don't have the EPN so I am looking forward to being able to use an eBay capsule on Hubpages (sharing some of those earnings with Hubpages is better than none)...BUT I don't want those who currently have the EPN (or those who get it in the future) to have the ability to use it taken away from them. I'd like for them to continue to get their full affiliate earnings rather than share it with Hubpages if they can. We'll just have to wait and see what Hubpages plans to do though.

5. Joe Macho profile image82
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

This sounds great. I've been wanting to get in on Ebay capsules, but as I newer member, I couldn't get into the program. I'm excited to see it happen.

6. Wayne Tully profile image64
    Wayne Tullyposted 12 years ago

What will happen to those who were terminated from the Ebay affiliate program like me and a few others? Would this be a second chance to sign up or be approved?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60

Yes, this will be a new opportunity for Hubbers to join the eBay Publisher Network.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a question.  What will be the text to e bay capsule ratio?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60

Same as for Amazon: 50 words per product. smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
            Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!!! :-)

2. Wayne Tully profile image64
        Wayne Tullyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jolly Good Jason Cheers! big_smile

7. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Sounds like a great addition.  Does it work similar to Amazon where you choose the items and then you get a percentage of the sales?

8. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 12 years ago

I never had eBay, so this may be worth signing up for HubPages ads. I was thinking of doing more product pages, so this could be good.

I really would like to know what the cut will be, not that it matters, because I'd have to accept it no matter what.

I like this.

9. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Excellent and exciting news!!  I missed the boat on eBay previously (by about two weeks! I was a little slow in signing on... ) but am anxious to get on with it (eBay that is).

Looking forward to new and better!

smile

10. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

We will put together a faq on this and have it out a week or two before we launch.  Thanks for the questions.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

YAY!!!!!

12. emievil profile image69
    emievilposted 12 years ago

Wow! I'm excited with the news! Hope to see the FAQs really soon smile

13. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

More affiliate temptations. I was pure in heart and soul before I arrived on this site. Now anyone can have me for a dollar a click.

14. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I joined this site at a stage when it was impossible for people to become eBay affiliates solely on the strength of their HubPages account, so for me personally it's great news. I have a few hubs that are crying out for eBay items.

But I do see why people with stand-alone eBay affiliate accounts are concerned.

15. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

As a member of the existing Ebay program I share concerns of others - Good Questions Mrvoodoo!  I'm not currently running HubAds so hope flexibility is still there to run with AdSense plus Ebay without HubAds.

I'm not sure why this was announced so early, if there are no answers available to the questions that such an announcement were bound to bring. 

And while I don't want to get too pessimistic too soon, I sense that we're about to get f***ed over again. The loss of access to the EPN reports for Hubpages traffic/sales alone would be a major loss, if replaced with a thin back-end display similar to that of the HUbads.  And having to manually edit hundreds of hubs again would be beyond painful.

Of course this is all just worst case speculation, but with no real answers, what else can we do.  Best case scenario, HP allow those of us who have been using EPN for years with our own standalone accounts (and who wish to continue in this manner) to continue doing so, but I'd be surprised if this were to happen... hmm

1. Len Cannon profile image87
        Len Cannonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I hate to be a Debbie Downer because this is really great news for people who weren't able to get into eBay but I feel like I am justifiably concerned.  Maybe it will work out great but I'd hate to be stuck on like, 3 cents per click because HubPage users, on the whole, don't provide useful clicks.

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm quite concerned about this as well.

1. lakeerieartists profile image64
          lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I have a long standing ebay account, and would not like to see it damaged.

16. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

hmm, a bit scary, there was a pretty direct question in this thread ..

"Will existing ePn publishers be unaffected by "new opportunity"

Those of us with ePn accounts may be happy for the rest of you, but a forced ePn association solely through HP ads would be a terrible step backwards if you have already have an independent account.

A "pot" of ePn ads by multiple Hp authors would likely have a pretty pitiful quality rating and the clicks will be worth nearly nothing.

^ A simple yes/no would suffice, HP staff!

1. livewithrichard profile image70
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm concerned about this as well because I for one am not going to put my ePN in a "pot" with others.  My epc hasn't been less than .13 in the past year and I'm not about to loose out on that income. Luckily I have other websites where I promote ebay so if I have to I will remove it all from my hubs.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image60

Silence speaks volumes?

17. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I've never had an eBay account and I don't have a lot of product hubs.  But, anything that may increase our earning potential is always welcome.  Thanks, Hubpages!!!

18. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

I'm excited about the ability to use eBay for my product hubs - Amazon still allows affiliates in NY state, but I have a feeling that will also come to an end some day - NY State has been collecting sales tax from Amazon for a long time.

19. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

A thought: smile

HP could have a special word we could put into the tags to indicate that the author has written a hub for the specific purpose of  being buried in ebay ads. I would imagine that those who've lost their amazon accounts (like me) would especially like that. smile

20. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

This sounds really cool. I don't have an eBay account, but do have eBay capsules in several of my hubs. Yesterday I was tweaking, and each time I encountered an eBay capsule, I clicked the "don't display" box rather than delete the capsule. Ya never know what might happen...like this new development. Grrreat!

21. profile image58
    Todd D. Schmidtposted 12 years ago

It sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing the news.

22. ladyhowto4u profile image62
    ladyhowto4uposted 12 years ago

The eBay addition is good news for me! I was wondering why all the hoopla about eBay and why I could not be an eBay affiliate.  I hope eBay will be as simple to use as the Amazon capsules!

23. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I am so glad to hear this!  I have included eBay throughout my Hubs even though there was no payout. 

Hurray!  Great job to HP staff!  Keep the income streams moving towards us! 

Thank you very much!

24. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Looking forward to complete instructions on how to add Ebay capsules and link to Ebay identity. How are they best used? Does it mean we promote selling items on Ebay from other sellers? Sorry if these are basic questions.

25. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Rant. Too tired. Nevermind, I think HP is doing fine,

26. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

Could we add a "broken link" feature that works for eBay and Amazon capsules? I hate it when I open a hub and discover the declaration: "no matching products found." This shouldn't be much different from the existing feature that flags broken hyperlinks to other websites and videos. This doesn't have to be part of the initial roll-out, but could be a desirable follow-up.

1. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea Howard S. if this is possible.

27. rambabu007 profile image60
    rambabu007posted 12 years ago

This is very nice post.You know today what happened. I was sitting my room and thinking about my dreams that what can do what are my limition.Suddenly I think about Hubpages in which i make my own Hub ,that how it can help my to complite my dreams.

28. Ania L profile image80
    Ania Lposted 12 years ago

Great news, thank you.
    As a new hubber I can see that HP Ad program is much better way for me. It started getting impressions while I'm still waiting for googles to be accepted. I didn't even try to join eBay yet as I have no website to use for my private account. So this would be very beneficial for me and other new hubbers in similar situation.

29. Green Lotus profile image59
    Green Lotusposted 12 years ago

Good timing for me personally, HP! I've been grooming a new blog specifically for eBay but haven't signed up yet. I'm sure you'll get all the kinks out before the program goes into effect. Making an early announcement is smart as you're getting some crucial feedback from Hubbers with legitimate concerns. Thanks for presenting this opportunity again!

30. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Oh this is great news....

31. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 12 years ago

yay! great news!

32. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Sounds great.  When I first started writing, I was not approved for an Ebay account and have never tried signing up again.  I am assuming under the new HubPages umbrella that this will be more easily facilitated?  Thanks for all your efforts at increasing income opportunities for us.  smile

33. Sandyspider profile image76
    Sandyspiderposted 12 years ago

So this means that I don't have to have an eBay affiliate account. Right?

Unfortunately they can't answer your question.  Because to do so would be to admit that they've intentionally ignored everybody else's questions (which is essentially what's happened). big_smile

This is HP 2011.  A very different beast from when good ol' Maddie used to be just part of the team. wink

1. Sandyspider profile image76
        Sandyspiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

2. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mrvoodoo has asked some very thought-provoking questions, but he missed the answer to this one. It was in the initial announcement: "You will sign-up to the eBay Publisher Network within your HubPages Earning Program account."

But how do you reconcile that with the statement that payout will be through HP's ad program?

Could this be an arrangement similar to the 60/40 split where ALL ebay sales will be on HP's account, and then their code will determine split to go to hubbers??????

GA

Yes that's exactly how I would expect it to work.

Which means that ebay clicks through HP will NOT count towards the QCP of our own ePn values... (for me - HP is a large click source)

which means a decrease in income....  because the QCP value is a multiplier value.

Sure wish I could be optimistic about this.

GA

I have my different sites set up as different campaigns.  The whole purpose of campaigns is so that the QCP of one campaign doesn't affect the QCP of another.  I can understand that if you have everything under one campaign and HP is a big part of it, that will certainly make a big difference.

@Marissa - Firstly, I AM NOT positive about this, but I don't think that is correct.

ebay sees your ePn account as one publisher account that consists of different campaigns.

The "campaign" function is just a tracking and report function, not a segregation of click values - in ebays mind.

At the end of the month, all campaign results are combined to give a single publishers click value multiplier for your payout.

In the reference I will give below, it even discusses how a non-performing campaign can bring down your overall QCV..

I looked at several sources, and although this one primarily focuses on ACRU's, it does go on  to explain campaigns, and was the least technical of others I perused.

Here is what I think is a relevant quote:
                A word of caution about a major factor that may crash your ebay score.

Most often ebay affiliates have several niche stores which are either in the making or on hold, while simultaneously running other stores already pulling in visitors. But if suppose you have your campaign ID attached to the unfinished projects, your score might just drop to the bottom because of them. For ebay they are still campaigns which are not engaging any traffic at all and they will count. And since you will be evaluated at a publisher level, ebay will not take that for an excuse. Hence if at all you have stores in the making, don't tag a campaign ID or archive them temporarily in the ebay partner network campaign dashboard. When you are completely ready and confident of visitors and sales, launch it back in action. Again taking the example of grades in school, it's never about how many chapters have you memorized or the number of words in your vocabulary. It's always about how you have performed in your hour long examination and your overall performance report.

The full article is here:
                eBay Partner Network Campaign

ps. I too use campaigns for different sites and streams, but have always understood them to be only useful as tracking and reporting tools - which I still believe is the case.

pss. my HP campaign is a strong contributor to my QCV , - if it is not recorded as clicks under MY publisher's account - it will surely reduce my QCV until I can pull the articles over to my own sites. Plus the headache of the new sites I will have to develop for the niches currently on HP.

Alas, I will try to remain guardedly hopeful, but I am very concerned. I do not want to abandon HP, I like it here, and HP has been good to me, (I also think the traffic I have drawn is good for HP too - so it's not a one-way street), but I'm in it for the money, so my time must be spent in the most productive venues.

GA

I obviously need to do some more research on this! 

I have to admit, I haven't looked at any of this since QCP was introduced.  At that time, I was clearly told to separate my websites into campaigns - not for ease of tracking, but to segregate click values.  Maybe something has changed or maybe I just got bad advice!

2. MSantana profile image66
                  MSantanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain a bit more how this may work or someone from the staff. There is this 60/40 split that I am never sure how is balanced, e.g, when traffic is high does it goes to HP or to both? And is it true that followers can't click on your ads. If it is not content/or scores/or contributing to the community what helps people to earn revenues then what is more appropriate to sell gadgets? If we could attach ebay publisher now, would that be a better move than to wait for the hb association. Sorry, I am very lost with so much things going back and forth. It seems that people have created a mythology that is not well explained in the learning center. I do think there shall be some mentor-mentee system here, instead of leaving it all to interminable threads. A video series or webinars may work too.

@MSantana - That's a large request. I have found the learning center help hubs to be very helpful. Check them out, by topic of interest.

Also, do a hub search with your question topics - lots of experienced hubbers have written a wealth of How-to earn hubs.

But the condensed version is:
                    1. The 60/40 split means that when a hub is viewed - 60% of the time all affiliate and impression values will be attributed to you - 100% of any revenue generated. 40% of the hub views will give HP 100% of any revenue generated.  The choice of who gets the impression is randomly generated. EACH TIME a hub is visited, the random generator spins and either attributes the impressions to you, or HP.  But the "random" assignment is programmed to come out in your favor 60% of the time.

2. No, followers should NOT click on ads just to benefit you. They should only click them if they are interested in the ad, and would do so even if they saw them somewhere else.

3. Getting hub views, ie. "traffic" is how you earn - from any of the programs, affiliate or impression. So getting traffic to your hubs is the way to earn.

4. If you have an ePn account, (3 years???), and have not already activated it on hubpages, personally, I would hold off until this new ebay "arrangement" is finalized.

5. As for the mentor - mentee thing, there is more than enough helpful info and hubbers available, just make the effort to find it without expecting someone to lead you by the hand. (not intended to be harsh, just truthful)

ps. The help center does have videos

GA

34. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 12 years ago

Thanks to all @ Hubpages once again!!!

35. profile image54
    qiupeizhiposted 12 years ago

I so happy to hear this news, I'm looking forward on it.

36. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 12 years ago

So ordinary folk like me will finally get some eBay income.  Quite promising.

37. PRanj profile image57
    PRanjposted 12 years ago

Hubpages will going to take a different rule because of changed scenario. At leasr for one year, they aren't going to see any problem with Amazon. I think this ebay stuff will not take place for at least six months....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/ … ct-us-all/

38. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

This is an interesting new development. Funny thing is this month I've already made more than any other month on EBay since I signed up 3 years ago. EBay is actually doing very well for me. I miss my Amazon capsules though and wonder if they will re-affiliate us Cali's for a year?

I hope so. I had just gotten my account when all of us in California were dropped. I expected it to happen because California is a pretty greedy state. Now it is of little value for me to use an Amazon capsule. My other book affiliate program also dropped California affiliates,  so now I have to stick to selling my own books I have in inventory. But on hubpages, that means I can only feature one book per hub because the image and listing are on the same URL.

At least I may be able to sell something when we can use the eBay capsules. I don't think I'll ever have enough for an adsense payout.

39. Hashirraja profile image60
    Hashirrajaposted 12 years ago

Yah, I am very interested in this section. Basically I am trying for something with amazon and ebay.

40. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 12 years ago

Thanks for the info, Mr. Paul E. I still cannot acivate my eBay account due to the phone problem. We don't use landline at home. I am using  cellular phone, most people in the Philippines do. I suggest that eBay A. Form will have that option if one hubber doesn't own a telephone at home.

41. zanaworld profile image59
    zanaworldposted 12 years ago

another WOW!

I was trying to restore my lost Ebay Partner Network a/c which they close because of long dormant.

Now this come as a good news to me.

42. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

That's great. Looking forward to this.

43. pinkish profile image59
    pinkishposted 12 years ago

This is so nice.. I'm looking forward to it!

44. adanpt1 profile image40
    adanpt1posted 12 years ago

Always good to have more options and diversification.

45. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Not to sound all Antecessor Promagistrate, but:

a) Precisely why should Hubbers split there eBay revenue with HubPages?
    b) What conflicts will result with present qualified Amazon users?
    c) As a non-qualifying "Hub Ad" aka non DoubleClick/AdChoices affiliate how will this "incentive" work/benefit the publisher?

Other than that woo-hoo. sounds exciting.
    big_smile

J.

a) most Hubbers don't have their own eBay account and can't get one.  For those in that situation, 60% of some revenue is better than 100% of none.

b)  None. You can run both Amazon and eBay capsules on the same Hub - I do it all the time.

c) I don't understand the question?

2. Glenn Stok profile image95

The revenue will not change under the new eBay program once it's included with the HP ad program.  With the old method, HP places their eBay affiliate code in the capsule 40% of the time and they placed your code in it 60% of the time. The ratio will not change. You still share 40%/60%.

There are no conflicts with Amazon. HP Rules remain the same as they were for Amazon... you need to write 50 words or more in your text capsules for each eBay product you list.

1. Stacie L profile image89
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read through all the other posts,but Ebay products are not static..they often disappear from hubs and there may be empty spaces...

I agree. But that all depends on how you list the items. If you refer to a general product name, it will match it for anyone who is selling it.

It is important to keep an eye on the eBay capsules that are used. I have noticed the same thing with Amazon however... a product was no longer available and my Amazon capsule was blank.

1. Howard S. profile image89
            Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glenn, if you allow the product hub to search for products fitting certain criteria, you can't fill-in the description, as HP has advocated recently. There's a risk either way. I have elsewhere proposed a feature similar to that which alerts us to broken links to hubs, websites, photos and videos. It shouldn't be too difficult to add an alert for Amazon and eBay capsules that are showing "no matching products found." (It is irrelevant, of course, for Google AdSense and HupPages Ad Program.)

Howard, I love your idea!  I hope HP implements it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Actually, I find eBay capsules are less likely to go blank than Amazon capsules - because you never select specific products with eBay, you always use keywords.

Marisa, Very true. But I had it happen in both already. I use keywords in eBay capsules that are very close to the product name to avoid incorrect products coming up. So basically I am being product specific. I know what you mean though. Amazon lets you enter Actual ASIN numbers, and if they are gone, we end up with a blank capsule.

2. Camping with Kids profile image67

Glen - Are you sure? At this point we don't know if HP's ebay agreement will allow hubbers to get an ePn account using HP as their domain, in which case you are right, and nothing will change...

OR

If hubbers will be sub-accounts of HP's ebay account, with HP receiving all payments, (and credit for the clicks) and then disbursing the Hubber's share.

They did state that the arrangement they were persuing would involve payouts from Hp's Earnings program - NOT ePn's, as it is now for affiliates.

I believe that is the crux of the matter. If That is the way they go, it seems like it would have to be for ALL ebay capsules, which seems to indicate that hubbers that do have an ePn account will no longer have clicks credited to their ePn account. Which would probably decrease our QCV if we were doing well through HP.

Just a shot in the dark though, still waiting for more info.

GA

Camping with Kids - 

I am basing my remarks on what Paul Edmondson announced in the first post of this thread, that eBay earnings will be paid via the HubPages Earning Program. So anyone who does not have an ePN account will be able to sign up under their HP earnings account.

However, you bring up an important point that we don't have the answer to yet. Those who DO already have an ePN account may not have the choice. We just don't know yet how that will work out.

My thoughts that come to mind...

1. Maybe eBay will insist that existing partners must continue to use their ePN account. Or they will allow either one. 

2. Maybe HP will have a check box under the earnings tab to indicate which to use. Or they can program it to default to the eBay affiliate code we enter if we don't sign up for eBay under the HP Earnings Program.

These were my own ideas. We have yet to see how this turns out. Whatever it is, I would not blame HP for any issues that may develop.  HP has to abide by eBay rules too.

46. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I think this would be a wonderful asset but since Google is so erratic with traffic  many hubbers will not see the money.

1. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 12 years ago

It is a new opportunity for many.  eBay has not been available since I joined HP.  As they say, any port in a storm.  I'll be looking forward to the sign up info in Oct.

2. liftandsoar profile image59
      liftandsoarposted 12 years ago

So how exactly does this EBay thing work?  I understand about linkage as with Amazon.  But would I have to have some Ebay item featured in my hub?  Can someone explain this to a newby?

3. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

I wish they would give us some indication as to how this will affect those of us who already have an account with eBay.  eBay doesn't currently generate a whole lot of income for me, and if I could roll that into my HP earnings, that would be fantastic!!  It might make using eBay a little more worthwhile to me.  I am trying to be patient...I really am...

Anna Marie, I don't think HP knows yet themselves. It all depends on what eBay will allow. I had to keep updating my old hub about  confirming ePN to reflect the present state of affairs, but I wish I could also give the answers to questions such as yours. Looks like we all have to be patient until some time in October.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
          Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Glenn!!  I figured the HP staff was as in the dark as we are, or close to it.  I was speaking more about eBay telling us what is going on.  I get emails from them all the time in regards to all sorts of different things, so it stands to reason that they would keep us in the loop on this, as well.

Anna Marie,

Well, I don't think we will ever get a direct email from eBay that discusses HubPages. Their emails go out to everyone signed up for ePN. So they need to keep them generalized. Anyway, it will be up to HP to inform us. But they can't do that until all the details are worked out with eBay. To my understanding, that may still be in the process of negotiation. But I'm not speaking from any knowledge. Just my understanding from prior HP posts.

I agree with you that it would be nice to be kept in the loop. Right now, anyone who does not have an ePN account can't get one unless they have their own website.  And anyone who already has it can't get it approved for HubPages (as I discuss in my Hub on that topic). The only people right now who can use it are those who had it approved for HubPages a long time ago. I was lucky to have done it in time.

This is why HP has been negotiating with eBay to allow us to use it under the HP Earnings Program. The only thing that is troubling, as many Hubbers have stated, is that we don't have answers yet about having a choice of which account to use. There are reasons why some Hubbers who already have it, will want to stay with their own ePN account, as Camping with Kids explained very well about 4 days ago in this thread. Those who do very well with eBay may want to stay with their own account. But it's not clear yet if that will make any difference.

The best deal would be if HP creates a way for us to select which one to use in our eBay Capsules; Or a global setting in our account settings; Or make two different capsules; Whatever it takes to make that work. The bottom line is if eBay will allow HP to give us that flexibility.

4. grinnin1 profile image69
      grinnin1posted 12 years ago

Looking forward to hearing more on this soon!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)