I found a site with a copied hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

You should check this site and see if it has any copies of your hubs on it.
    http://lucki13.com/x/browse.php?u=Oi8va … 3D&b=5

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh man, not another one! Good eye. Here we go again...

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of mine are on there. They are even pretending their Hubpages. I think Hubpages needs to take care of this.
      How did you find it?

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

still waiting for her reply!

3. Robie Benve profile image97
      Robie Benveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All of my hubs are there and even my profile. The logo is hubpages but the web address is lucki13.com
      It's like a clone of HP.
      !!!

4. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Barbara, a word for the future - please don't post a hyperlink to any site that is copying our work.  You're giving them a free backlink, which is doing them a favour - I'm sure you don't want to do that!

Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I knew that and forgot when I posted it. I can't change it now, I tried.

5. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People be careful, this site is a redirect of the entire site. Please DO NOT attempt to sign in there! THIS IS A HUBPAGES PROBLEM!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

This is just a proxy server that is accidentally available to the public. I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

But if it WAS a thief, you should know better than to reply and copy a LIVE link to the offending site - remember to check what you're quoting next time!

2. DS Duby profile image82
    DS Dubyposted 11 years ago

I went there and it is strange but I couldn't find any articles, every category I went to was blank

I think it is only the 4 people on the front page who have their actual pages showing.

1. moonlake profile image82

I put my profile name in the search and that's how I found mine.

2. moonlake profile image82

Yours are also there DS Duby. Just put your name in the search and your hubs come up.

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

This appears to be one of those mirror sites. They have everything of mine, inlcuding my hubscore, all my hubs, my followers and all my recent activity.

1. Robie Benve profile image97
      Robie Benveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same for me.
      Unbelievable. It's totally synchronized!

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I would send the URL to team@hubpages.com and let them deal with it.

5. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 11 years ago

I would suggest sending staff an e-mail with this link.  A while back there was another site that mirrored hubpages. Looks like this one is setting up the same.  I looked at the "explore" drop-down and clicked forum. I saw the current Hubpages forum come up that is actually on Hubpages.

6. SmartAndFun profile image94

Even this thread is there. It appears everything on hubpages is there. I'm guessing every hubber and all our hubs.

7. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Wow, a fake HubPages, yep my whole profile and all my hubs are there as well. The very first one I saw was the Hub about having my hubs stolen!

8. DS Duby profile image82

It's my articles alright with all the same comments from all the same people the only thing I noticed missing was my adsense and Ebay ads WTF I'm kinda new to this , so what I'm wondering is what's the point .Why would they take the time to replicate a site without advertisement, it hurts us but how does it benifit them?

1. bayoulady profile image69
      bayouladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep...no adds.. That doesn't make a hill -of- beans -lick- of -sense. Go figure. What is their deal here?

9. bayoulady profile image69
    bayouladyposted 11 years ago

Yep...here we go again. I'm trying not to get mad. But how weird is that? Looks exactly like hubpages,but the browser says lucki13...hummmmmmm.I had so many of my articles stolen, that I quit publishing for awhile altogether. I'm getting my feet wet again,came here tonight................and once again...sigh...bummer.

10. Jangaplanet profile image60
    Jangaplanetposted 11 years ago

It appears to be a proxy server! Located in Asheville, USA. I do not think it's serious. But I guess it's always better to make sure.

1. skear profile image93
      skearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you are correct.  It's definitely a web proxy site.

At the top of the page you'll notice there is an address bar.  You can enter any site into the address bar and the proxy will load that page.

Here is a link to the main page.
      http://lucki13.com/x/index.php

It looks like their robots.txt isn't properly located in the root directory of the domain and as a result Google thinks it needs to index the site.

The robots.txt file here (http://lucki13.com/x/robots.txt) is properly set to disallow indexing of the proxy pages.

1. Jangaplanet profile image60
        Jangaplanetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is only a proxy server. You can type in any site.

2. bayoulady profile image69
        bayouladyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not that high tech.....so proxy site means.....? No adds though....I'm confused.

11. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

This is unbelieveable!!!  I'm there; profile and my Hubs!  They have just cloned HubPages. I don't understand how this can be done. 
    What can we as Hubbers do about this???

12. Jangaplanet profile image60
    Jangaplanetposted 11 years ago

What you're viewing is the real Hubpages, through a proxy server. It's only a proxy server. Actually even if you wanted to sign in from there- it won't work!   (It's perfectly legal) There is nothing to worry about! No Hubs have been stolen and it is not a clone!

13. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Please explain, if someone clicks on my hub there, does it show in my stats? Maybe you should make a hub about it Jangaplanet. What is a proxy server and why is it there?

1. mary615 profile image82
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes , do us all a favor and explain more about "proxy servers".

1. skear profile image93
        skearposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A web proxy is basically a middleman.  When you open a web site through a web proxy you are not actually connecting to the remote web site.  The proxy server makes a connection to the destination site and then displays the results in your browser.

Web proxies are mostly used for anonymous web browsing since they hide your identity (IP address).  They can also be used to bypass web filters or other systems intended to block access to specific web pages.

Adsense and other script objects often don't work through web proxies.  Some are designed to block ads intentionally.

skear, It sounds like it really can't hurt us then. Right?

14. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 11 years ago

Please avoid the temptation to panic over something that poses virtually no threat to your Hubs' traffic. Instead, please read this FAQ entry (and the linked-to Learning Center entry) instead:
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#copiedhub

If other threads pop up about the same subject, we'd really appreciate links to this post. Much appreciated!

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jason, are you saying we should file a DMCA? That's what the link you posted is about.

15. Crazzykylex profile image61
    Crazzykylexposted 11 years ago

Strange no one (showed intelligence) to ask "How did you find it, O' Barbara?" Everyone is busy making panic! I myself am amazed to see such an Android. But again the question comes "How did you find it, Barbara?"

I believe moonlake did ask that question, 2nd from the top. Not answered though. And personally I'm not panicking, just trying to determine the appropriate course of action, or if any action need be taken.

1. Crazzykylex profile image61
        Crazzykylexposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you're right. Sometimes my eyes miss out the spot. Good to know you know how to stay cool instead busy panic like others. But I'm anxiously waiting for a reply by this forum thread starter. This Barbara is really suspicious.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

I found the site when I was looking to see why Penguin hurt my sub-domain. At the same time I found this, I found  questionable sites that are using hub urls as titles for pages that just contain a short description of the hub and then a page of advertising.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

If the short description includes a link to your Hub, it's doing you no harm at all.

16. SmartAndFun profile image94

Well, since some people are saying "it's a proxy server" and telling us not to panic (although I wasn't panicking), I googled "What is a proxy server," hoping that it would provide some answers. Unfortunately, I'm not very tech savvy and have no idea what the articles I found were talking about. I'm hoping that fact that it's a proxy server means that it's not truly a copycat site.

On the other hand, Jason's link gives instructions on how to file a DMCA, which makes me think it is a copycat site.

I would love to learn more details.

1. profile image0
      paxwillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A proxy server is a website that lets you browse under a different IP address.  The site that Barbara K found is not a site that scrapes content or anything like that.  You can type any url into the search bar and it will take you to that webpage, for example, HubPages.  The webpage you see on the screen is indeed hubpages, but the url in the address bar shows some weird encoding provided by the proxy server.  It is completely harmless as Jason has said.

Some people visit sites through a proxy server to get around IP bans.  For instance, you can only watch Hulu in the US, but if you were in Canada and wanted to watch Hulu, you could enter the site through a US-based proxy that would have a US-based IP address. 

Hope that made sense smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aha! It did make sense! Thank you! I had heard a bit about "getting a proxy" or "using a proxy" but didn't realize exaactly what that meant, only that is was a way to hide your IP. So you have helped me understand what a proxy server is, and what using a proxy entails. Thank you!

17. Maralexa profile image83
    Maralexaposted 11 years ago

When checking this out I noticed my profile page with everything included except:
    Latest, Hot and Best Hubs.

Jason, Surely this is a HubPages problem.  Not an individual sub domain problem.  And so far I'm not in panic mode.  And with respect, why would you want us to link to the post you indicated if we see another incident of HubPages being copied -- not just a sub domain site?

Thanks for your message Marisa.

18. DS Duby profile image82

I honestly just wanna unsubscribe from this annoying ass forum, no panicking here.

19. Crazzykylex profile image61
    Crazzykylexposted 11 years ago

@DS Duby, No doubt, Barbara is responsible for all this (panic). She's spreading terror. She's terrorist! Go, Bang Her!!! Boom Boom!

I was dead a long time ago. Sorry your shots didn't work.

Barbara is a Zombie? I knew it. I saw you in The Walking Dead growling, with those spit drooling out. Eew

My maiden name was Wolf. You better be careful.

Besides the real terrorist is Google. With their Pandas and now Penguin, they are terrorizing writers that rely on the income constantly. I don't need to terrorize anyone.

20. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

It's a proxy but glad you were concerned Barbara Kay I thank you for bringing it to our attention. smile

Yes, you're right. I was trying to help.

Thanks for the head's up Barbara. It's good to know there are people like you out there paying attention.

21. noenhulk profile image60
    noenhulkposted 11 years ago

I guess its a hub portal using hubpages because of its high google ranking and vast array of articles on any topics.

I really hope someone who understands this posts a hub explaining it all.

22. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 11 years ago

I think this is a web proxy that people use at their workplace to bypass  certain sites that are filtered and blocked by the administration. Most offices ban social networking sites and these web proxies help bypass those filters as they hide the real website accessed.

23. excribo profile image82
    excriboposted 11 years ago

I think I also found another scraper site that scrapes Hubs in the Technology categories.  It is a blogspot blog (latesthottechnologynews [dot] blogspot [dot] com).  I found one of my Hub articles there without any attribution or a link back. Please check if your hubs were copied also.

What's the use? Eh! Why don't you all utilise your time better.

1. excribo profile image82
        excriboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because my Hub was delisted and the scraper's page is the one showing on Google's result.  It practically trounced my article.

24. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

A proxy is essentially just looking at the Internet through someone else's computer. They're actually great for visiting websites that you're not able to view on your IP or for sites that you want to visit without sharing your IP to the site (ie. Analytics software.)

I found this thread through a thread I made about this site. I wasn't sure if the fact that the proxy had indexed pages on Google could be hurting me. It'll probably go away, though.

A proxy isn't a scraper. All it is is someone else's computer where you can use the Internet. You can type whatever website you want on lucki13 and it'll take you there.

Great example of proxy usage: Facebook is blocked at your school. You know of a proxy site based in Topeka, Kansas. You go to the proxy site and type in facebook.com. It takes you to facebook and you login* and do your thing. On Facebook's end, they don't see that you logged in through Jefferson High School. They think you're in Topeka, Kansas.**

*I wouldn't pass my credentials through a proxy, but some people do.
    **They probably can tell it's a proxy, especially if it's on a known proxy list. But for all intents and purposes, Facebook thinks you're in Kansas.

But yeah, thanks Jason for posting. I thought it was unusual that it was indexed by Google.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)