Why does Republican=White=Racist in so many people's minds?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (205 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

While I am not a republic nor completly white, I am so tired of the constant assumption that Republicans are just white racist. Why do people assume this? It would be like saying Democrats are just poor black and hispanic people. See how ignorant that sounds! Why?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My personal belief is that people project their own view of the world...

People that 'see' color, and are concerned with it, or are racist themselves, will turn to 'RACIST!'.

Where people who truly aren't racist, the thought will almost never cross their mind.

1. profile image0
        HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaxson nailed it. While there are cases of racism from all sectors and cultures, Republicans didn't like Bill Clinton any more than they don't like Obama.

Partisanship - yes.
        Racism - no.

1. brimancandy profile image79
          brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, the republican's were trying just as hard to get rid of Clinton, as they are doing with Obama. And, my main worry is, that if Obama gets a second term the republican stonewalling will just continue. And, they are complete morons for doing so. Don't these idiots know that the whole world is watching their pig headed stubborn BS. Are these people we really want running the country. If America was a corporation, they would all be fired. Work together or get out!

1. Reality Bytes profile image76
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think that the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is not a corporation?  Act of 1871 incorporated this entity!

2. KK Trainor profile image60
            KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I thought the Democrats were running the Senate these days... guess it's only the House that holds things up. I must need a refresher on how our government works!

As much as Clinton was a dirty pig and pervert, at least he was willing to work with the other party and get some things done. Obama has no clue how governing works, which is no surprise since he had no work experience coming into office. It's called reaching out and letting the other side win once in a while so that you can win the next time. He refuses to do that and so he is obstructed, at least from the House side. Maybe he should have a sit-down with Harry Reid if he wants to look like he's doing something productive.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obama bent over backwards to work with the opposition in his first couple of years, now he has to deal with an obstructionist Congress.

1. profile image0
                SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What fantasy world do you live in? He had a majority in BOTH Houses his first 2 years. And how did he "work with the opposition"? By shoving through a Health Care Law without one single GOP vote that the majority of the people did NOT want and still don't. He has not made one move at all to "work with the opposition".

1. KK Trainor profile image60

More deluded liberal nonsense I would say. They love to believe that he worked so hard and the Republicans were the bad guys, but you're so right. He cared only about his own legacy and getting that stupid health care law passed that he just pushed everything to the side, pissing off everyone he needed to be working with for future legislation.
                  Plus he didn't have a clue what to do about the economy so he let his buddies dictate that policy, which has completely failed. It's exactly what the voters deserve though, you get what you vote for.

1. profile image0

It's funny though. In bullying the more sensible Democrats to vote for his Health Care Law, he cost the majority of them their jobs and lost his hold on Congress. Kind of backfired on his butt.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I actually have a memory of what happened in 2009 that is not dependent on what has been rewritten in the minds of others. He could have rammed through a lot more but he wanted to be seen as working with the opposition.

I don't rely on US media to get my news...

1. profile image0

President Obama faced opposition among Democrats for his Health Care Bill. Why? Because the PEOPLE did NOT want it. He promised them "we will take care of you at election time". The only concession he made was to remove the government run option. The majority of those Congressmen lost their jobs at mid-term elections. Why do you think the Democrats lost control? The people did not want this Law and do not want this Law. 60% want it repealed. Those are facts. You can look them up anywhere.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
              Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mitch McConnell called the shot not long after Obama was elected here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc

Yes, everyone knows what Mitch McConnell said. But he isn't in charge in the Senate. He doesn't decide what gets voted on or what gets passed. The Democrats do. How much has gotten done lately on the Senate floor?

2. Claims-Advice profile image60
          Claims-Adviceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yah, the first response here is the most apt, for sure. People project their views.

2. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does perception drive or follow reality?
      I was shocked just yesterday to see these numbers:

Romney/Ryan, the Republican ticket, is pulling ZERO percent of the African American vote. Are there blacks in the Republican party? Of course. Michael Steele, Alan West, SCOTUS Justice Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain.
      But apparently not in statistically significant numbers.

Also, given the high percentage of Hispanic Americans who are Catholic, you might expect a higher number of H-A Republicans voting on social conservative platform. But by a margin of 2:1 (according to current polls) they vote Democrat.

But truthfully, perception IS a big part of it. This election year, in particular, the "face" of the Republican party is white and male. Have you noticed that?
      We know logically there are Republican women and Republican minorities. But it's the white guys getting the airtime.
      That's what people see, so that's what people believe.
      smile

1. CapnFatz profile image56
        CapnFatzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not shocked.  Years from now, this era of progressive politics will be known as one of the most divisive in our history.  Thus far it has pitted race against race, gender against gender, and religion against religion.

Thank God for the Internet, as there will be a permanent record of idiocy that has been spewed.

3. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Go to any republican rally or say...a Romney/Ryan rally and you tell me what you see.  Nothing but white folks; and the occasional delusional black.  Go to a Democratic rally or say Obama/Biden rally and you will see a broad cross section of America.

So, if a black person is seen at a Republican rally, they are delusional?

2. peeples profile image94
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Saying that is almost as ignorant as racism! I have known many black republicans. They were all good working middle class people. Far from delusional. 2besure, you failed to address why it is assumed that just because you are white and vote republican you must be racist.

1. profile image0

Quite a few white GOPers at Herman Cain's appearances, before the man dropped out.

Sadly it is unseen because herman cain must not be a real black person, he's just a "delusional" black person! It's stupidity. That's all it comes down to. People not being able to see past what their tv or radio tell them!

1. Mighty Mom profile image79

Yes and no.
              Herman Cain is not delusion because he is a black Republican.
              He is delusional, tho!
              lol

1. profile image0

Cain had some great fiscal ideas, but he didn't have his house in order and he wasn't ready to run. I think we'll see him again, when he figures out that this is a dog-eat-dog race.

Possibly. If he learns not to sexually harrass women.

1. profile image0

Maybe he should consult Bill Clinton for ways to stop? smile

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So only the black person in the crowd is delusional. What does that make the white people there?

Fig Newtons of the black guy's imagination?
          smile

4. CapnFatz profile image56

"White folks" and delusional blacks.

Yep.. any black would have to be delusional to be hanging with "white folks"

Do I really  need to parse this comment further?

5. Robert Byerley profile image60
        Robert Byerleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The sad part of this whole conversation is someone would vote because of race. I'm sorry, but please look at the facts Mr. Obama is taking our nation down right before your eyes. He had a job to do and he failed, and please don't say he had a mess to clean up when he was elected. The man knew exactly what he was getting into ( or maybe not ). The numbers don't lie, look at our national debt. The fact that anyone would vote do to race, well that's just complete ignorance.

6. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There bussed in from the local unemployment office.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

And the GOPers drive in in their Bentleys and Cadillacs.

1. KFlippin profile image61
            KFlippinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL and haha . . . like there aren't plenty, if not more , Dems with Bentleys, not to mention Cadillacs for darn sure, talk about profiling......... laughable, truly.....if you were in political office and under scrutiny . . . nuff said.

1. Quilligrapher profile image74
              Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Deeds is not profiling. He is just stating facts. Gov. Romney, as quoted by the Washington Post, “I drive a Mustang and a Chevy pick-up truck. Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs.” He also admitted owning a Dodge truck bring the count to five vehicles at one time.  I own a second hand 9-year old Merc. How many cars do you own?

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ele … _blog.html

1. KFlippin profile image61

Dang, five vehicles at one time, what excess.............and who benefited from his buying those vehicles, maintaining those vehicles, driving those vehicles, garaging those vehicles......absurd, the idea that his vehicle count is a defense.  I own two vehicles, both are over ten years old, and one is a Ford farm truck that works its tailgate off, and has done so for over ten years.  With the direction this country is going, replacing that work truck is scary to contemplate in the future - God forbid, it runs on gas, shame on me.  You keep driving your 9 year old Merc, and be glad you have it.  And you think about America with everyone poor to middling and driving 10 year old vehicles like me and refusing to pay the outrageous prices of today for new vehicles -- and just where do you think our economy will be two decades down the road?  Thinking about it . . . ?

2. Robert Byerley profile image60

I own four vehicles plus some toys. I don't see your point.

7. theliz profile image60
        thelizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent point.  Last night while watching First Lady Obama speak and the DNC I noted that the camera kept cutting away to people in traditional ethnic clothes: A woman from Africa, two men from the Middle East, I even saw a sombrero.  Dems just appeal to a wider variety of groups than Repubs.  Call it policy, track record, whatever, the separation still has its roots in old (and, sadly, in many cases still true) notions about what Republicans stand for.  Not usually the same agenda as voters with a permanent tan.

4. mio cid profile image60
      mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a leftist and a liberal, but  most of all, I'm a political junkie, and being that most left talk shows are boring to tears I listen to a lot of right wing talk, and the reason why the republican party as a whole is seen today as equivalent to racist,white is because the party has been taken hostage by the right wing extremist wing of the party, the moderates ,the liberals, the inclusive  forces within the republican party have been expelled or condemned to ostracism ,what used to be the big tent party is no longer, and the elements that are the voice of the party today are seen by minorities as hostile towards them and justifiably so, because the rhetoric being heard coming out of the republicans who are in the limelight defines blacks as not wanting to work and wanting to live off the welfare state, and hispanics as being responsible through illegality for the deficits the government finds itself due to educating them and keeping them healthy, and also of lowering everybody's wages.

5. dzephaniah profile image59
      dzephaniahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The liberals are the ones, who are spreading that message of hate, to create division and hate among people, because they harbor hate.

I am a 50 year old white male. I know about discrimination and racism too well, because I'm a Jew who grew up in the Soviet Union. In this country, I have experienced more racism and discrimination from the Latinos and blacks than you can ever imagine! Most of them just don't like white people, and don't trust them, despite the fact that they get cheated and abused mostly by their own.

I hope that intelligent people don't fall for the liberal propaganda machine. Unfortunately my experiences in life shows that this world is full of stupid people.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't you have liberals and conservatives bassackards? Sure sounds like it to me. I've visited your former country (Soviet Union, not just Russia) and all I saw were white people and people of Mongolian descent. I don't remember seeing a black person in Moscow or Leningrad.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image66

I know quite a few Republicans, and I can think of only two whom I would consider "white racists." African-Americans overwhelmingly for Democrats, not because they believe Republicans are racists, but because Democrats support policies that they believe address their interests better than the policies supported by Republicans.

1. CapnFatz profile image56

How do you know that about African-American's Ralph?

Here on this thread an in others, the inference is that white people are racist solely because they are Republican.

Heck.. why don't we just flip that bizarre script and simply state that blacks and latinos are racist because they won't support a white candidate?

Seriously, could you imagine the conclusions that would be reached if 94 percent of whites supported Romney?

With the implication that there are not racists in the democrat party, which is ridiculous.  The rah rah for our team mentality creates a situation that policy does not matter, uneducated voters.  Why become educated if all that matters is for your side to win.  This happens with both parties.

In reality, we have much more in common than not.  If everyone could just step back from the tactics of division, the people would be able to have more of an impact on the future of our nation!

smile

7. CapnFatz profile image56

Just roll with it and stand firmly on the truth as you understand it.

8. LauraGT profile image85
      LauraGTposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While I think many people accept that individual republicans are not necessarily white and racist, I do think that the platform that is put forth by the Republican party does more to benefit the upper classes than the lower classes. Since class is still seen as a proxy for race (which is shouldn't be!), those policies can be seen as racist.  I also think "racism" is interpreted differently by people.  For some, it's being openly racist, saying or doing harmful things to people of other races.  For others, it can be much more subtle (e.g., voter ID laws that grossly disproportionately affect minorities; or proposing to cut taxes for the very wealthy while increasing them for the poor).  The fact that the vast majority of black voters (I believe it's upwards of 90% and probably more in the upcoming election) vote democratic in presidential elections should be a good sign that black voters understand that the democratic platform is more aligned with their interests.

9. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Historically the Democratic party enjoyed strong support from the southern states, while the Republican party was formed by anti slavery activists. But many southern supporters were alienated from the Democrats when Truman ran on a platform of social justice and civil rights in the late forties. This continued in the sixties with Kennedy.

To take advantage, in the late sixties (at the height of civil unrest and calls for desegregation in the south), the Republicans ran on a platform of law and order, states rights etc. Nixon called it the 'Southern Strategy'. It involved using coded language to convey messages that appealed to the far right, but without being overtly racist (this has since become known as 'dog-whistle' politics). It worked. In 1972 Richard Nixon won all the States in the Union except Massachusetts. However at the same time the Republicans lost around 90% of the black vote.

So in answer to your question, the south is historically associated with racism and the far right. The Republican party has increasingly been associated with the south. Therefore the Republican party has been associated with racism and the far right.

10. KFlippin profile image61

Because it has worked psychologically for many years, and because no one has made that understanding of party differences change via educated enlightenment amongst the Democratically influenced/controlled voting Americans.........the indoctrination is much more important than any facts......

11. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not want to assume that GOP adherents are racists. If I am against them it is for their policies, just like the whites say that Obama's race is not an issue but the policies he advocates are.

Is that OK, when there are so many stupid people that say Blacks vote for Obama merely because he is black?

1. theliz profile image60
        thelizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hold on, not to get personal, but are you Brown? Do you talk about the vote with any brown skinned people? Being able to answer yes to both, it is in no way stupid to say that brown people vote for President Obama merely because he is of like hue, it is the complete truth.  It may be a not so smart reason to cast your vote, but it is most definitely the only motivating factor for many.  I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I'm just saying . . .

Oh Lord, you aren't supposed to speak the truth here! Now you're gonna get it....

12. Robert Byerley profile image60

Only because people in every race are so ignorant. They are so rapped up in material things it's pitiful! I only hope that everyones vote is sincere and not because of race!

13. Thrailes profile image62
      Thrailesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This may be a little long for the forums, and if it is, I apologize.

To answer your question, it's because the overwhelming majority of Republicans (myself included) have sat back and let the extreme right hijack our party. For years we laughed at them, marginalized them, and even ridiculed them as the "lunatic fringe", all the while not noticing that they were slowly taking over.

As a Republican, I am a conservative- yes, that much is true. However, being a conservative doesn't mean that I hate: gays, minorities, immigrants, the poor, or non-Christians. It doesn't mean that I want God involved in Government either, or that I'm somehow against women's rights. It doesn't mean that I think everyone has the right to carry an M-60, or that people who are on welfare are lazy.

The problem is (and my Muslim friends, please pay attention because this next part concerns you also), we have spent so long letting this "vocal minority" (the bigots-with-bullhorns), do the talking for us, that now everyone thinks they represent the majority of the party. It's our own fault really for not putting a stop to it earlier, now I'm afraid it may be too late; the "toothpaste is out of the tube" as it were.

We've let extreme religious fundamentalists corrupt our parties values, so much so that now being a "conservative" is nearly synonyms with Christian Fundamentalism. We let people like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, with their vile, ignorant rhetoric, become our mouthpiece; we just assumed that everyone would see them for what they were, and that they would just eventually go away... we were wrong. We sat by silently while these "Conservatives" became the face of our party, and by our silence, they felt empowered; like the little kid who steals a cookie and then quickly looks around to see if he got away with it before doing it again.

We let corrupt corporate executives hide under the umbrella of capitalism, and the free markets, when all the while what they were really doing, was robbing us blind. We were accomplices after the fact, with Enron, Goldman Sachs, and even Bernie Madoff; we didn't assist them, but we certainly didn't stop them either.

Moderate Republicans (who make up the vast majority of the party) are victims of our own creation; we're the Dr. Frankenstein of National Politics. Now, whenever someone criticizes the current state of affairs in the GOP, they're attacked and accused of being a "liberal apologist". Anyone who has the audacity to think that the separation of Church and State means that there should actually be some "separation" between the two, is branded a secular, atheistic freak, and nearly run out on rails. This is who we've let represent our party,

"But Brutus is an honorable man".       

What being a Republican actually means (if I may be so bold as to speak for my party for a moment), is that we believe in personal liberty; whatever form that may take. That the right for people to do as they please, and to pursue happiness in what ever manner works best for them (so long as it doesn't injure/harm anyone else) is a fundamental human right. It means that we believe in a limited Federal Government; one that focuses on protecting the Nation, and making sure that the playing field is level for everyone, but then it get's out of the way and lets the free market system thrive.

It's a belief that the Federal Government has no business getting involved in regulating love; that when we say "all men are created equal", that doesn't come with a qualifier. If churches and other religious institutions choose not to preform ceremonies for gay couples on religious grounds, then that's their right; but if the Government chooses to recognize my marriage to my wife, then equal protection demands that it recognize the marriage of a gay/lesbian couple also. That there is no greater display of patriotism, or love of Country, than to serve in the Armed Forces, and that those who choose to do so deserve our undying gratitude, not our scorn for who they happen to love.   

It's the knowledge that not everyone is afforded the same opportunities in life, and that things happen, and from time to time people may need the assistance of the Government to survive. That doesn't mean that those in need should be ridiculed, or exploited for political gain; and it certainly doesn't mean that they should be made to feel like second class citizens.

It's understanding that success in America is there for any and all who are willing to work for it. It's knowing that success is not a zero-sum game; just because others may have more than you, that doesn't mean that they somehow got it dishonestly, or by holding others back. It's taking personal responsibility for your life, and not blaming others because they have something that you don't. Success is something to aspire to in the country, not something to vilify or demonize. 

As I said to start with, I know this is a little long, so I'll hop down off of the soapbox, I just wanted to toss in my humble opinion on the subject.

1. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hear hear!

2. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

The truth is that the Obama campaign is in serious trouble.  Anything will be used to deflect attention away from this fact.  All that is left is a few straws to grasp at!

1. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I look at more like the American people are in serious trouble and the political remedy we have is inadequate to address it. The election of a new president has little to do with the solution than the price of tea in China. Our country is being run by mega corporations and the banks and they make up the rules and issues the politicians promote as our major problems. Money is the clout that gets things done and nothing has been done to restrict or even judiciously address the situation. Guess what? That is by design.

The United States of America is being transformed in to a fascist Oligarchy, everyone knows this, some live in denial, some feel helpless, but the reality is there for all to see!

While the federal government of the United States presents a reasonable threat to the people of America.  The future may hold a reasonable threat for the rest of the globe as well.  The centralization of control is well under way.  I am not sure it can be stopped.

3. kathleenkat profile image82
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Gosh, probably the same reason Democrats are viewed as a bunch o' hippies, college students, and poor people, who try so hard to be PC it's sickening!

People draw conclusions... People think Republicans are anti gay simply because they are against gay marriage (not againt gay civil unions, gay people, and gays being gays; just ONE thing).

I would say that the "Republicans are racists" thing comes from Republicans wanting to slam down on illegal immigration, which, in the eyes of the opposition, means they hate Hispanics and other immigrants.

I would also say that the "Republicans are racists" thing comes from idiots who think Obama is their golden boy, and how could anyone *not* vote for him? Oh, they must be "racists" because he is black!

1. minuspc profile image60
      minuspcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are more black Republicans than is known via media hack.  Most, unlike me, don't admit to being so because they fear peer reaction.  In the voting booths where everyone is allowed to vote their rathers without sanction, many black and white liberals turn conservative.

I for one think that white liberals are racist in that they think they have the responsibility to "take care" of black people because we are unable to think for and care for ourselves.  I also think that most liberals have a vested interest in going along with status quo, politically correct BS.

I  have formed an educated opinion that  most liberals are mentally incompetent.  Oh, how often am I in a position to recall the Woodstock like characters I hung out with in college.

1. profile image0

I agree that there seems to be a tendency to make a case that any Black Republican is somehow lacking in their culture. They aren't "Black" enough. How else could they possibly be Republican?! As if there aren't any poor Republicans. Trust me, the entire Republican Party is not made up of the Top Earners of the country.

It's always nice to hear someone admit that they go against the mainstream; it's very brave and should be celebrated rather than criticized. Over the years I have met so many people, black and white, who have felt ashamed to admit that they are actually conservative but have to pretend in front of people that they are 'open-minded' liberals. Somehow being a Republican makes you a bigot and a nut, so it's cooler to be a liberal until voting time. But you know what? As long as the votes favor the Republicans in the end, that's ok; tell people whatever you want! That's why polls are so off sometimes...

1. eternals3ptember profile image59
          eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

KK Trainor, why are you a Republican? I know that question usually seems sarcastic or antagonistic, but it's not, and I want to know.

You want my platform? Funny...

I am pro life
            I believe that success should be rewarded and those with it should be able to decide how to distribute their wealth to the poor, needy, etc., or not at all
            I believe everyone should pay income taxes, including the lower income levels
            I don't think that the rich should feel guilty or be punished for their wealth
            I want everyone to have a decent education, which means teachers should not be allowed to keep their jobs just because they have tenure
            I think unions are obsolete and only drive up the costs of business and taxes, leaving the rest of us to pay for overly generous benefits packages
            I think social programs should only be available to those who actually need them, which means fraud should be investigated without the investigators being called racist or evil
            I think medicare and social security should be means tested

That's all for now, I'm trying to watch the news and can't concentrate that well.

Thank you

You're welcome. Just worrying about my friends in NOLA who decided to 'ride it out', so crazy.

Wow, I can't imagine how stressful that must be, for them and you sad . I've never had to ride out something that bad, only Man-Yi in 2007 but it was already downgraded when it hit. I'll pray for them!

Thanks! big_smile

Sounds to me you're a victim of the Tea Party Syndrome. http://ralphdeeds.hubpages.com/hub/The- … ou-have-it

Oh please. I majored in Political Science in college, in the 80's, and have held my beliefs for a very long time. I am not swayed by protesters or by the media. I make up my own mind about things.

There is nothing wrong with being a conservative and being proud of it, even if it's held in disdain here on Hubpages.

3. Quilligrapher profile image74
              Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi KK. I hope you are doing well this evening.

I just want to briefly let you know that my eligibility for social security benefits was means tested every payday for over fifty years. Forty social security credits and my age make me eligible for full retirement benefits that are based upon my life-time earnings and not on my current assets or income. That has always been the government's promise to working Americans.
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

I say this because I know that many who could easily live without Social Security actually collect the benefits that they earned by working. Ok, I understand that you paid into the system (not you, I mean generally) but why not let it benefit those who don't have the retirement savings that others have? I know that sounds very liberal, and i'm definitely not a liberal, but I have seen the payments go to those who don't need them (family members of mine...) and I think it's wasted money. I would rather it fullfill it's purpose and pay those who actually need it.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

From my perspective, I don't believe Republican=white=racist.  I do see that racism exists and that people who I would consider to be racist are more likely to be Republicans.  That does not mean that I think all or even a significant portion of Republicans are racist.  What I do notice is that too many Republicans, rather than acknowledge that racism exists within their own party and elsewhere, will deny that it even exists.  This does not help the Republican party in any way; instead, it fosters the belief that Republicans are not willing to distance themselves from that small but very vocal faction in their party that truly is racist.  It's sad, really, what has happened to the GOP in recent years.

1. profile image0

@PP Agreed. And the Democrats deny the black on white hate within their own party as well and refuse to distance themselves from the likes of Jeremiah Wright and the Black Panthers. Racism is racism.

5. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

"Liberal institutions, such as the media, universities, federal courts, and human rights organizations, which have traditionally functioned as checks on the blind obedience to authority, have in our day gone over to power's side. The subversion of these institutions has transformed them from checks on power into servants of power. The result is the transformation of culture from the rule of law to unaccountable authority resting on power maintained by propaganda."

Interesting quote.
      Could be from Nazi Germany.
      Could be from modern USA.
      or.....?

6. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

Romney is appealing to the whites because he needs 71% of them to get elected. His dissed the blacks at the NAACP conference, telling them that he would end Obamacare--and thier new insurance policies.

He dissed the Mexican/Latinos by not picking el gran Cubano, Senator Marco Rubio. This was done because the Koch Brothers insisted on taking the party to the extreme right. They donated, alledgedly, $100 million when Mitt said OK. It should be noted that if the Ryan Budget does get through the Koch brothers mak $1 billion a year every year in tax breaks on their $40 billion income.

So, the Republicans are the party that is dictated to by white, builly millionaires.But probably only 40% of the true believers are racists.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 11 years ago

"HOUSTON — A federal court in Washington ruled on Tuesday that political maps drawn by the Republican-controlled Legislature in Texas discriminated against minority voters, a decision that black and Hispanic groups claimed as a victory and the state attorney general vowed to appeal to the Supreme Court....

"They denied granting so-called preclearance to the maps, because in some cases districts drawn to look like Hispanic ones on paper would actually perform to the benefit of candidates preferred by white voters."

Why African-American and Hispanic voters vote Democratic isn't a mystery. The change began with GOP presidential candidate Barry Goldwater's opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 in contrast to Lyndon Johnson's support for minority rights issues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/us/fe … f=politics

8. profile image0
    HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

It's great to see such a wonderful lady get such an enthusiastic welcome at the RNC.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/08/2 … n_ref_map=[]

9. eternals3ptember profile image59
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/ … an.php?m=1

Yeah, it sure is a nice welcome. I love it when people assault me.

10. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Duhhh...could it be the most cases of overt, virulent racism in half a century? Perhaps it is the desire to exterminate or deport people of color. Maybe it's the racism of the Birthers, who will not check their own birth certificates.

Then again, it could be the monkey photos, the blatant disrespect for a sitting president, and the uncalled for racism directed at the First lady and the children.

What about Boehner wishing that Black and Hispanic voters would not show up to vote on Election day.

Oh my, the list goes on. Anyone who whines that Republicans are being called racist does not realize that they are racists. At that point, I disengage because I realize  that I am either dealing with the corrupt or I am dealing with the mentally ill.

1. kathleenkat profile image82
      kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mad about Obama monkey photos?
      http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/64500/Barack-Obama-Monkey--64727.jpg

Anyone remember the Bush monkey photos?
      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Um_-iIVAH9o/S8i4KP8yusI/AAAAAAAABI8/q3t9SEYWErc/s1600/Bush+monkey.jpg

But you have to admit there is a difference in comparing a black man to a monkey than comparing a white man to a monkey...

I feel both are wrong but there is history with the other...

I cannot admit that, because there really is no difference. You are comparing a person to a monkey. It's probably got nothing to do with their race, and everything to do with 4Chan and other such websites. There are a handful of political figures, of all colors, that have been edited to look like animals on the internet. Saying that it is racist because the subject happens to be black is pretty racist in itself. The monkey photos have nothing to do with color, and everything to do with Obama's political stance.

I am talking about the history of calling black people monkeys...you cannot deny that has not been the case. 

Love the double speech... point out the history of racism and it means you are a racist.

Maybe that is how you take that picture, but many do not take it that way and to deny that is dishonest.

http://www.authentichistory.com/diversi … index.html

Many people who are alive today do not remember the racism of the past. Chances are, those photos were made by young people, who populate such sites. They were not intended to be racist. They were intended to take away credit from Obama by comparing him to a monkey. The Bush pictures had the same basis. I laughed at both the photos, personally.

Edit: And racism works both ways. You can say someone is racist because they made fun of a black person, but you can also say they are racist because they think black people are better than everybody else.

Well, you are free to believe what you want... as are others.

Anybody remember when Howard Cosell was suspended for calling an African American NFL football player a monkey. As I recall he said "Look at that little monkey run!" or words to that effect.

2. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69
            GiancarloLorenzoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see Kathleenkat is playing dumb today.

I don't know about that; but I do know that she can't win here because no one (lefty) will admit that any parody of Bush was not justified while insisting that every parody of Obama is completely racist and disgusting.

Bush is the bad guy, Obama is the savior.  (puke)

Well, as I said it was in bad taste too. I believe in showing respect for the office of the presidency.

I repeat:

I feel both are wrong but there is history with the other..

I actually had respect for the office of the presidency and I've always believed the office deserves respect, regardless of who is there. 

If the images were of Obama as Ronald McDonald, or as the guy from Mad Magazine I would not call that racist. The other has a history that any person who has any clue about history cannot deny.

I am sorry I am always disproving your blanket statements...

You haven't disproven anything, so don't worry about it.

Everyone knows about history, at least they should because even the young people are indoctrinated these days into the 'white people are the bad guys' line in public school. That doesn't mean that every criticism of Obama is racist, and sometimes people use pictures of monkeys because monkeys are goofy and it makes the person look dumb. Why else would someone use one for Bush? Were they trying to make him look like a black person who came from a monkey? How ridiculous.

Obviously liberals are just typically reactionary and over sensitive to anything they could possibly find to be racism. Just makes them look even dumber than they look when they talk about how evil rich people are...

1. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69

I can't begin to explain how opinionated this post is.  You have some valid points, but most of these statements are blanket statements.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I did disprove your blanket statement about "leftys". I have never called rich people evil either...unless they are in prison for murder or stealing someone's life savings...

11. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

lol@disrespect for a sitting President. I'm guessing you either 1. didn't have an issue with anyone disrespecting Bush Jr. or 2. just weren't paying attention.  Let's see now. The Black Panthers intimidated white voters in 2008 in Philly and Holder had the charges dismissed. The Black Panthers literally called for a hit on Zimmerman and nothing was done. Jeremiah Wright and the Black Panthers have repeatedly called for "whites to die" "you're going to have to kill some whites" but those things are not racist in your mind nor have nothing to do with the attitude of some lately.  It is clear you skim headlines and never actually read the articles either. Boehner did NOT say he hoped they would not show up to vote. He was asked about winning over such voters. He said that they may not vote for Romney however, being discouraged by the last four years, may not to show up to vote for Obama either.

I actually had respect for the office of the presidency and I've always believed the office deserves respect, regardless of who is there. 

The Black Panthers are a meaningless organization of very few people whose actions have been made larger than they every were by people who have an agenda.  Black men standing outside a polling booth is not intimidation. They would not have stopped me from voting.

1. profile image0

The racist response to Mia Love's speech was beyond belief.

http://twitchy.com/2012/08/29/sick-wiki … se-nigger/

It is absolutely typical of the left, no surprise at all. They hate black people who turn to the Republican party and will say anything to drive them from the public eye in shame. Discrediting is their favorite way to do this (Cain = pervert, Clinton = hero), but if there is no dirt they just simply resort to the most vile and repulsive name calling they can think of.

Republicans are racist? Please.

From what are you basing your opinions on?

GiancarloLorenzo, take a look at the link and tell me who the racists are...

How is that typical though?  Is every liberal that way?

Certainly not *every* liberal is that way. Do you honestly think he meant that? Or are you just picking apart his statements?

Just as not *every* republican is racist, either. Isn't that how this discussion started? No need to pick apart blanket statements, just see them for what they are, and realize that they actually do have some basis in truth.

What is typical is that they ignore those among them who spew hatred and racism while condemning conservatives as racists.

Unless you don't watch the news you probably know that most blacks who end up running for office as Republicans or working in Rep. administrations are called horrible names, as the article illustrates. (there are many other examples if you'd like a list, but I'd rather not spend the time since you can find them yourself if you care to) Whether it's someone nominated for the Supreme Court by a Republican President or someone who becomes the first black Secretary of State, their association with the Republicans is usually enough for this treatment by the left.

How, please tell me, is that not racism? Please, I'd really like someone to explain that to me. Not by saying they are isolated incidents, because they aren't. How is that not racism?

It is racist. There are Democrats that say racist things. Factually, true. But, that doesn't mean Republicans are perfect.

Who said anyone was perfect? I'm just trying to get someone to admit that all of this crap about Republicans being the racists is just that, crap. Racists are everywhere, in every race,nationality and every economic level of society. I'm so tired of conservative blacks being run through a meat grinder when they decide to go public and 'admit' that they agree with Republicans. It's ridiculous.

2. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69

I watch the news.  Those people you speak of(that call Republicans horrible names) make up what percent of liberals in the United States? 

And I agree.  I don't think every Republican is racist, and if they are racist, I don't really care if they are.

12. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69
    GiancarloLorenzoposted 11 years ago

It only equals that in the minds of racists.

13. GiancarloLorenzo profile image69
    GiancarloLorenzoposted 11 years ago

It seems to me you guys are being just as judgmental about liberals, as liberals are when calling Republicans racists.  Neither is good.

Agreed. See the title of the forum?

Fighting fire with fire doesn't help alleviate the situation.

14. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Just in case nobody noticed:

whites-account-for-under-half-of-births-in-us

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us/wh … wanted=all

The right has always been keen on immigration (cheap labor) but it will find itself up against it in the polls unless it changes all those policies that perpetuate gross inequality.

What are you talking about? I mean the 'policies that perpetuate gross inequality'. What are those and how are they owned by the right? Just wondering what you mean.

Tax loopholes tailored to benefit the rich--hedge fund operators and private equity investors like Romney's Bain Capital, oil billionaires like the Koch brothers who benefit from the oil depletion allowance, untaxed foreign earnings by U.S. corporations, anti-collective bargaining policies, vicious cuts in Medicaid, attempts to "privatize Social Security (i.e.turn SS tax collections over to the Wall Street banksters) plans to change Medicare into a voucher system which would mean that eligible citizens would eat future health care cost increases, just to name a few.

None of those things bother me. And I don't believe they perpetuate inequality. If someone wants to be as rich as the Koch brothers then he needs to get off his ass and get to work. Then he will have the power to change things.

That is fxxk the poor and screw the middle class. Typical.

Of course, that's exactly what all Republicans want. We hate poor people and want to keep them poor. We couldn't possibly know any poor people because we are all rich, so why shouldn't we hate them all? None of us has ever worked from the bottom and made a success out of nothing. We all inherited money and were born with silver spoons in our mouths. We don't think poor people deserve anything more than what they have, which is nothing. We cheat the IRS and don't think we should even have to pay taxes. Let the poor pay all the taxes and we'll just take advantage of that, even though they make very little money so the taxes paid wouldn't come close to covering the nation's expenses. We want to get rid of all welfare programs because poor people should be hungry and cold and their children should suffer right along with them. We all send our kids to expensive private schools so we don't even want to fund the Education dept. anymore, why should poor people get free schooling? As for the middle class, they are just as bad as the poor. How can they expect to ever move up when they refuse to work hard? We hate them too, because we don't want to have to help them climb the ladder to success. That's their problem, not ours.

See, I'm a 'typical' Republican. Right?

Not all Republicans are rich tax dodgers. Many Republican evangelicals are seduced by the billionaires who feed them with homophobic, racist and anti-women's choice, nativist social issues Whatever it takes.

Oh yes, I forgot. We hate black people and gay people more than anything. We always try to think up ways to make their lives as miserable as possible. And as for women, even those of us who are women hate other women. We want to make our own lives miserable as well.

Please inform us of your position on

1. Abortion

2. Immigration reform

3. Climate change

4. Second Amendment rights

5. Medicaid

6, Medicare

7. Obama care

8. Tax loopholes for multimillionaires like Romney

9. Creationism or "intelligent" design.

10. Voter photo I.D.

11. Affirmative action (where minorities have been excluded)

15. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Republican National Convention on Tuesday night ejected 2 attendees for racist acts.  That is a good thing but one can't help but wonder why did they feel it was ok to do these things?

http://now.msn.com/african-american-cam … d=ansnow11

Why did someone on the left edit Mia Love's Wiki page last night to call her vile racist names after her speech?

People do stupid and horrible things. On both sides. At least they were kicked out. Whoever did those things to Ms. Love won't be caught I suppose.

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your comments Don't Really Answer the question,

How can anyone answer it except the people who were kicked out? No one here knows what was going through their minds. Or did you just want someone to say that they are typical Republican racists and that is the explanation?

1. SpanStar profile image60
            SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The initial question:
            "Why does Republican=White=Racist in so many people's minds?"

Implies that racism in the Republican Party is alien so he is confused by peoples view of such acts.

I say one can set up an environment where people are comfortable executing illegal and inappropriate behavior. The Tea Party is a relatively recent example of how people can feel comfortable enough to do what they do.

16. AJReissig profile image71
    AJReissigposted 11 years ago

I think a large part of the belief comes from the Democratic party pushing that belief, and the media is all to happy to help.  For example, when MSN was covering the RNC convention, every time there was a speaker who was not white (such as Herman Cian and Bobby Jindal), MSN stopped airing the RNC and went to "commentary". 
    I live in a small town outside of Cincinnati, and when I have gone to the tea party rallies in Cincinnati, I saw plenty of people of color.  I also have many friends who are not white who typically vote Republican.  So, at least in my experience, it is a myth that the left pushes.

17. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

Why?  Because Republicans symbolize big business, business friendly tax laws & breaks, helping the rich & wealthy get even fatter and leaving out or cutting funds for urban social programs, public schools, and infrastructure.

I do know many African-American (white collar) and Latinos (blue & white collar) who vote Republican since they represent a better economy and job creation.  I believe Bush/Cheney messed up so bad is the reason why Obama won. Now Obama has not turned much around, well neither party could in 3 or 4 years after Bush's terms. Most experts (who have called other recessions too) believe this will be a 10 yr+ depression/recession in real estate (and the economy).
    Racists? No. It is more of just preservation of capital and the status quo. They do have prominent Black and minority politicians who are Republicans so the racist part is out but the greed part is always inclusive.

I am pro neither party. However, during Clinton's time I became more affiliated with supporting democrats. Today I am neutral.

18. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Is this is a nauseatingly self congratulatory thread of mutually delusional individuals or am I missing something?

Perhaps it is the dead who are under-represented.

But then they would be the undeserving dead. Since they were poor and vulnerable.

'Research released this week in the American Journal of Public Health estimates that 45,000 deaths per year in the United States are associated with the lack of health insurance. If a person is uninsured, "it means you're at mortal risk," said one of the authors, Dr. David Himmelstein, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.'

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-09-18/heal … =PM:HEALTH

It is sad that the US cannot afford to attend to these unnecessary deaths.

But then a tax cut means you can spend more time at the Mall!!

1. profile image0

That study is from 2009. Another was conducted in 2010 that came 26,000. Then another group tried to make sense of all the data (which is spuriously collected at best) and came to a figure of a 25% increase in risk without insurance. What all reports ignore is one tiny little fact: Many do not have insurance by choice. Some could afford it but do not want to spend the money. Some qualify for Medicaid but do not take the time to apply., The truth is we really do not have any reliable numbers.

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Of course, in Third World countries there would be a terrible sense of failure in saying 'The truth is we really do not have any reliable numbers.'

19. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

We don't. What would you like me to do? Conduct my own study? They simply do not track the statistics necessary to make any informed analysis. It is based on speculation and data needed to analyze the information correctly is not collected.

Of course, the numbers are not verifiable anyway. Let's say X has cancer. He does not have insurance so he finds out later than Y. Both ultimately die from said cancer. Are you counting this as a death because of lack of insurance? Some people qualify for Medicaid. For their own reasons, they do not ever apply. Are you counting any deaths that occur from these people? And how would you even verify that information? Are you going to compile the deaths of those who have insurance and those who don't, compare percentages, break it down by type of death, how many with insurance simply did not go to the doctor? It is an impossible figure to arrive at any verifiable accurate statistic.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, interest in the subject is minimal in the US, whereas oddly enough. health stats are highly regarded and vigorously researched in most countries.

Would you guesstimate that the number of unnecessary deaths in the US was in the region of 100,000, 50.000 or the rather amazingly low 26.000 area in the last year? I say amazingly low because  recessions hit health hard, even in countries where health care is easy to access for everyone.

20. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 11 years ago

"Why does Republican=White=Racist in so many people's minds?....."

Because that is what has been molded into the minds of people..............

21. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7118799_f248.jpg

I love it!! Where did you find that? Fabulous.

Floating through the wonderful pages of my facebook feed this morning! A page called "Conservatives against Obama and his liberal adgenda. no longer bush's fault"

22. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

Hi Every one.

I think it is the thought of depressed persons. They reflect their own deeds. The truth is far more different.

The thinking capability from person to person varies. Narrow mindedness leads towards racisms.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)