Short and long hubs and bells and whistles. HP should adapt

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (88 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Hubpages needs to make some effort to be inclusive of short thought provoking hubs.

I have been visiting Bubblews and Zurcker and find one factor that is interesting and in keeping what I see as a reality. Many people have really short attention spans -- Twitter and Facebook bear this out. My suggestion is that HP do something to bring those lame readers here.

Here are the arguments against it:

1. HP is a serious writing site and we should not dilute that
    2, HP is not an open social networking site and we do not want that dribble
    3. Hubbers can go elsewhere to engage in such
    4. We do not like change.

Here is the premise. HP has developed excellent and user friendly formats to write engaging and well written hubs complete with bells and whistles. That same ingenuity can be brought to apply to short articles that clearly attract billions of views. And there is a migration away from HP to these other sites which is not good for any of us.
    HP is here to make money and most writers are here to make money -- you do the math.

Pros:
    We keep people and we gain people. And we take views away from competitors gaining a higher market share. We make it so that Hubbers can stay here to read those short articles.
    Many people do not want to read 1400 word articles. In order to be featured many very good writers are adding fluff and redundancy to their articles in order to gain featured status.

The Mechanics and process and safeguards:
    I have not a danged clue.

What do you think?

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For what it's worth, I'll mention that several of my older, shorter, hubs do indeed get low, single-digit, daily traffic. Adds up over time...

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eric,
      I write my Hub content aiming for 1150-1250 words. After I have that I add the photos, polls, tables, etc. I have learned how captions, polls, quizzes, tables...they all add words to your Hub without really looking long and boring.
      So when you look at the total words in a Hub, it does not mean that they are all in the boring part.

Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For sure I am just noticing that and I think does really help that and a 300 word disclaimer and with some humor and copycrap something can be used to bump it up on each hub. (boileplate - and I am thinking of footnote stuff that you could use to in order to keep the main text in the 600 range and still be featured.
        The bells and whistles are essential though to readability and entertainment.
        So you could be really getting to the heart of working within and still keeping the thrust short ---- I like it.

1. aa lite profile image85
          aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really don't know where you get your idea that a hub needs to be 1000 words to be featured.  Many people have told you that much shorter hubs get featured, I myself have some that are not much longer than 500 words.

Ok, that is still longer than bubblews, but not nearly as long as you seem to think. 

Really I've never had problems with getting my hubs featured, and not all of them are very long, and they often have embarrassing typos. It is no big deal.

I would like to avoid what you are saying as a reality. "featured" we all know is a marketing consideration. And of course small hubs are very often featured I also just did a 516 word one and it was featured but it had two videos, 1 poll, 3 photos, ebay and amazon and ads were enabled. and it had a hard keyword beginning and a hot topic. But no embarrassing typos.
            I must be sensitive it felt like you were just looking to find fault with me and not even the subject -- do not know how I offended you, or maybe you just write this way.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Short articles on Bubblews do not attract huge numbers of views.  On Bubblews, the secret to earning is to write quantities of short articles - some people recommend posting ten a day!   Most articles get a fairly low number of views, it's the number of articles being posted that makes those views add up.  The Bubblews model is built around that constant activity, like Twitter and Facebook.

HubPages has always been about building passive income - ongoing participation in the site is not necessary to make money.  Your articles will go on earning if you go on holiday or even if you die!   For that to happen, you need longer information-rich Hubs.

This is correct and a reasonable business model. However as you say: "built around that constant activity, like ......."
        No doubt the information-rich Hubs with a sincere and sustained effort is the business model for any writer on HP and we want to keep it that way.
        I am talking about allowing a "marketing draw" like constant traffic to give those rich hubs more exposure and increase revenue.
        For instance,,, too many great authors here right that short stuff elsewhere in order to drive traffic here. Let us cut out the middle man. And keep those hubbers here.
        (something I think will happen is that the quality of our people is very high and if they participated in a "division" here writing the short stuff, our short stuff would be better than anyone else's

2. JoeYoung22 profile image88
        JoeYoung22posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is true. On Bubblews, as soon as a post is nudged off your five most recent, it basically vanishes into the heap, and it will earn no more. This can be frustrating when a post you are pleased with drops off the screen into oblivion, having only garnered  a handful of views/likes/comments.

Here on HP, my hubs haven't had a great deal of traffic, but they are all still there to be read.

4. misterhollywood profile image91
      misterhollywoodposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like your list a great deal and makes sense with the pros and cons!

- Mister Hollywood

5. Nadine May profile image73
      Nadine Mayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You do have a point about the attention span of the readers on the internet. If the first and second text box is not inspiring, yes then you do lose a reader. So yes I agree that the minimal word count of 400 I believe on bubblews works well, but there the problem is that after the 5th article they vanish, unless you create links in every article that relates to the past articles. I stay with hub pages due to the quality content that bubblews sadly does not have.

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

Sadly, I am just a girl in a cubicle, so I won't bother you with my inept opinion.

Are you a cute girl in a cubicle? big_smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
        SmartAndFunposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Used to be. Too old now to be cute. sad

Same here. But at least I'm still fuzzy.

At least we had our day in the sun. It was fun while it lasted. *sigh*

There are some more days left. It ain't over 'til it's over.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Whoa a writer who gets their own cubicle -- gives me something to shoot for!!

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

No, HP shouldn't adapt.  Let those who want to read short mindless posts about nothing frequent those kind of sites.

In regard to your Pros statement:
    We keep people and we gain people. And we take views away from competitors gaining a higher market share. We make it so that Hubbers can stay here to read those short articles. 
    I don't regard hubbers as my targeted audience, nor do I consider the two sites that you listed as my competitors.  I assume many people writing on HP do so for search engine traffic, to provide information for those seeking specific info.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But he does have a valid point worth looking into.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  HP is not a 'social media' site.

"social Media" is a concept not a dirty word.
          And for several hundred of us - especially on the Questions and Forums it sure quacks like a SM site

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How so?  It is a content site.  It does not even meet the requirements of being a blog let alone a fully functional social media site (i.e. a site with the primary aim of networking registered users together).

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages has a social aspect, but NONE of the social features - following, commenting, forums - contribute in any way to earning income.  That's deliberate.

Rekah thank you for commenting in such a direct conservative way. But the curse beginning statement is a deathnell to business.
      This is the real world not adapting is ostrich like.

4. aa lite profile image85
    aa liteposted 10 years ago

HP claims to have done the research (they actually have access to huge amounts of traffic data), and they find that, on average, long hubs (over 1000 words) with bells and whistles get considerably more traffic than short hubs.

You can argue about people's attention span as much as you like, but empirical data beats any amount of theorising.

Of course you could say that HP is lying……but why would they?

If you do want to keep people on a long hub, you have to put some effort into making it "not scary", break it up into sections, use subtitles, throw around some eye candy (images).

One thing I really wish that HP would do is give us an easy way of adding a "table of contents" at the top of the hub.  Yes I know that we can do this ourselves, but it would be nice if it was automated.

1. randomcreative profile image87
      randomcreativeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about the table of contents. I often use the table feature to highlight the sections of an article, but a formal table of contents would be preferable.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. This was discussed at one time, but never added.

2. Nadine May profile image73

Yes that is a great tool to have, an automatic table of content . It could very well sit on the left of the first capsule below the photo capsule. We had that feature in our monthly newsletter and that worked well, especially if the title heading of each capsule is interesting.

5. ktnptl profile image76
    ktnptlposted 10 years ago

Hubpages have it's own standard, Bubblews allows short posts but it has no value compare to hubpages featured articles. I think for long run, hubpages doing the right thing.

6. Traci Ruffner profile image60
    Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years ago

On the one hand, I am glad that HP has a higher set of standards for what gets featured.  It feels like much more of an accomplishment when your work is featured.  I do, however, write for Bubblews and do not feel that, just because my work there is less formal and shorter, that it should be considered "mindless" and "about nothing".  It is just a different type of forum and I believe writing for both allows me to explore different types of writing.

1. Nadine May profile image73

I agree Traci

Traci  -- That is what I hear every day. Although you said it better!

My thought is that by using magical technical prowess we could build an Iron curtain right here, so we would not need to go "there -wherever there is" to do both.
      Kind of like a family restaurant where the men can slip into the other room to have a brew and watch some sport for ten minutes while waiting for food, while the ladies do what ladies do.
      Like those old homes that were noble and respected, but the men have a den so they do not need to leave the house to be pigs.

1. Traci Ruffner profile image60
        Traci Ruffnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have taken to posting short stories on Bubblews.  People seem to enjoy them and it gets my creativity flowing. smile  By the way, I love a good brew.  Why can't the ladies have a brew?  Lol

In my case the ladies have hard liquor when we step out! They need it putting up with me. And most of them know more about TV sports than me. Thanks for the fun.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

How would they measure "thought provoking" and does it correlated with "people google for it"?  Because that is the end goal here

It seems to me hubpages already allows short. I get hubs under 400 words past Qap all the time. You just have to meet the requirements for content

8. ziyena profile image93
    ziyenaposted 10 years ago

Hey Eric ... gonna have to disagree with you.  Bubble Bust is a social networking site more than anything ... the Hub is a completely different model ... as for me ... I'd rather not have  trashy traffic coming here

1. ziyena profile image93
      ziyenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I prefer intellectually stimulating interaction than what is offered there ... and BTW ... I'm so sick and tired of reading non-stop forum topics about Bubbleblews it's beyond ridiculous ... if you all like that platform so much then STAY there lol

I am with you! I made a mistake even using the name in passing while grouping it for examples. I have never and will never write a word there. (except whatever it took me to get in to have a look)
        Let us give our friends a word of caution -- just call it: the B word site.
        I wish I had a mulligan on this one. Yikes.
        It also made folks immediately hate my thought provoking notion and knee jerk react and oppose it. Had I left out the B word it would have been more intellectual and less hate speech.
        Thanks

9. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

People do write shorter hubs here and they are featured and accessible to anyone... Main reason people are going to Bubblews is 'cause they earn there much faster than they do on here...

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Until they ban the subject people will write and respond, especially to mindless barbs about it.

Short does not mean any lessening of quality.  Bubblews gave me back my love for writing after HP and QAP had near destroyed it.

The reason being that the 'mindless' rules on HP where  length is everything do not allow for quality content that is shorter. 

Now I accept that.  Short goes on Bubblews.  Medium goes on Blog.  Long goes on HP.  Everyone happy.

But I will say that Bubblews is far hotter on plagiarised photos than HP is.  There are so many hubs where 'writers' are ripping off photos from all over the net.  Bit mindless you might say.

I agree. The sites are different and serve different purposes. People need to quit trying to make Bubblews into HubPages, and HubPages into Bubblews.

edited to add: People can post about whatever they want on the forums, that I do not care about.

11. erikdierker profile image56
    erikdierkerposted 10 years ago

Bubblews pays everyone $50 a week.  I did the math and assuming they make 75% proffit that means they are making over $6.9 million a year.  Hubpages cannot copy their success unless they reclaim these lost bubbles and get them to write about their breakfast on hubpages!  Go listen to Britanny Spears if you don't like what I say!  you need to think out side your cubicle of bells and whistles and get with the program

this is christian country.  why cannot I copy the bible on Hubpages.  In bits and pieces, each one is a bubble of chapter and verse.  do you want to post that on bubbles.  God is not a bubble! God is a hub of light and love and positive energy.  Go listen to Shakira if you don;t like what I have to say!

Get these bubbles back.  Make them work for hubpages.  We will be rich in Google.  It's not rocket scients.  It's SEO-ology technology biology.  Oh gee!  Now you are excused and you can resume listening to Milie Cyrus in your cubicle.

1. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bubblews DOES NOT pay everyone $50/week. And I know that because I am on Bubblews and I've not yet reached $50.

1. erikdierker profile image56
        erikdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I went to the bubblews retreat in virginia.  nice folks.  powerpoint slide with screenshot of their Adsense earnings, these boys are on fire! Hootenany!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not earning $50 a week there either.

2. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I mean I've not yet reached the new $50 minimum and last time I redeemed was in November. Before when the minimum was $25 it took me about a month to earn that. I'd say not that many people earn $50/week on there.

1. Traci Ruffner profile image60

I have only been writing on Bubblews for 3 weeks.  Pretty much the same amount of time I have been on here.  I learned something new today though.  Originally, I thought the rule was your post had to be a minimum of 400 words.  Nope.  It only has to be a minimum of 400 characters.  That is kind of lowering the bar a little bit.  It's disappointing and explains why some "writers" on Bubblews "articles" look more like facebook statuses.

1. Nadine May profile image73

Oh really? Then I also made that mistake

3. SmartAndFun profile image93

You're right, it's not rocket scients.

writers! I love you guys! You can learn a lot from a packet of bubble gum an the lyrics on a Miely Cyrus CD case.  When you're in you're cubicle at night do you bubble?  Do you think about scients? You could be writing a hub about bells and whistles with three poles and two maps and a photo at the top but you are just a puppy dog! This is a site for serious writers, even if they are puppies. Most puppies can't even even read cursive.  You are an asset to hubpages!

Hootenanny indeed!

4. aa lite profile image85

I'm pretty sure that Bubblews makes its main money not from advertising but from the captchas that we fill every time we post a bubble.  So the model is completely different.

They rely a lot more on internal traffic, that is really bad for advertisers who really value organic traffic, a completely different earning model from HubPages.

Careful there, aa. lol

1. aa lite profile image85

? What have I said?

2. erikdierker profile image56

Whether it is you or the frog on your head speaking these words, they are true! Writing a captcha is true creative writing at its finest.  Why doesn't Hubpages embrace its poets and captcha writers and reward them with hubber scores?  I have seen so-called writers with their maps and poles and quizes with scores over 100.  but can they write a captcha?  Not while they are singing along to Demi Lovato!

Go ahead, paste photos of  Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber on your cubical walls! They broke up along time ago and are Never Ever Getting Back Together.

1. HollieT profile image80
          HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have pictures of Julio Iglesias and Shaking Stevens on my cubicle wall, this is where I find my inspiration.

I have Jack White.

1. HollieT profile image80
              HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've just had to look who Jack White is. Think my cubicle wall needs more images. :0

smile

Rekah thank you for commenting in such a direct conservative way. But the curse beginning statement is a deathnell to business.
                  This is the real world not adapting is ostrich like. Potatoes for everyone!

Fiddlesticks. Its not such a complete matter of when or how, but of circumventing the obvious. Please.

2. Traci Ruffner profile image60

I am missing out.  I need a cubicle.

12. frogpatch profile image57
    frogpatchposted 10 years ago

More and more people are reading on smart phones and other hand held devices, Longer pages are difficult to read when the text has to be enlarged and slid from side to side,. Internet readers have a tendency to scan rather than read if they are looking for information. While a piece of fiction may hold a readers attention on a tablet, the reader looking for information will get impatient hit the back button. I write mostly web pages and usually keep them to around 500 words due to the increase in small screen usage.

As far as short, thought provoking pages, I agree that provisions should be made for those.

That is a really good point and might be just right for HP. Down where they have what kind of article -- they could put in a "hand held" capsule. And it could be designed for that purpose.
      Those of us migrating our smaller hubs could just migrate them there.

13. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Well, Hubpages can try and be all things to all people, diluting earnings in the process and attracting all sorts of dubious people who only care about a dollar and pretendy writers who don't care about "good" writing.

Or it can remain specialised, the best in its field of being a writing platform for articles that Google searchers can hunt for and that authors can make a long term passive income stream from.

Hubpages is not against change, they want to make their site better. But it's a bit silly to argue that Facebook should be just like Twitter and copy the tweet limit, just because people are getting on Twitter.

People go on either Facebook or Twitter (or Hubpages or Bubblews) for certain reasons at different times. There is no harm in having alternative ways of communicating on the web, whether it be in a long way or a short way. Websites specialise to become the best in their field in a highly competitive market, so they have to focus tightly on what they are doing - it's marketing 101.

Personally, I am quite surprised the Bubbling site is still making money at all and I'm waiting to see what happens with it, but you won't catch me wasting my time with it when I have other things to do (like working and hubbing for the longer term benefits). Having said that, good luck to those who are on there and good luck to us hubbers too!

Thanks Suzanne ... one of the few who making sense here

Awesome comment.
        I am so old we used to call that "outstanding thinking in your box".
        Billybuc has written some awesome stuff about finding a niche and sticking to it.
        I am thinking more about Coors marketing and selling Keystone -- if you do not get that just ask,

It's all piss water to me

unless we're talking real beer

Same company two different names for approximately the same beer. One is less in price than the other. Probably some difference in quality and that may determine the which is which but not by much if at all.
              But the same company selling the same product focuses by branding, target consumers,and demographics.
              I noted above someone said "marketing 101" and that is about reflective of that expertise espoused. We need to get a little deeper.

1. Jodah profile image91
                Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha Eric, I thought Coors was an Irish pop group.

Shoot that ain't nothing, I thought Bastard Ale was a disease old bastards like me got. My son said you have a Bastard Ale so I went to the doctor to get checked out!

1. Jodah profile image91

We have an ale here named Pure Blonde! Get that. Haha on the Bastard Ale.

14. Neews Woorld profile image58
    Neews Woorldposted 10 years ago

Whoa a writer who gets their own cubicle -- gives me something to shoot for!!

15. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

If it was easy to add a TOC, everyone would be doing it and abusing it. I can think of few things worse than a TOC at the top of every hub.

I thought TOC was terms and conditions -- what am I missing.

I just modified them for four ecommerce sites and it was really difficult just writing them -- of course that was in Vietnamese ;-)

16. Richawriter profile image86
    Richawriterposted 10 years ago

Same ole same ole. Hubpages goes on both quality AND quantity. If you have written a hub of 1000 words or more, then the chances are it has more of both. Therefore it is providing quality information to those searching through Google.

Personally, I think the types of people trawling through those short posts on places like bubbleyou or whatever it is, are not of the sort seeking major advice, the sort of which can be found here at Hubpages.

If I'm searching for info on fishing for example, I don't want a 200 word post, I want pictures, demonstrations and explanations, preferably with a video or two.

The same goes for any subject. Quality and quantity equals useful and saves people going out and buying a manual. Hubpages is a veritable manual on all things and that is why short posts are completely unacceptable.

Who says we can't do short posts anyway? You can. You just ain't gonna get the views and rightly so!

Hubpages is doing a standup job of providing the best info out there and all these new rules and regs are merely pushing those mediocre writers out or to greater heights as they did me. Thanks to them, I've improved immeasurably as a writer and I'm damned if I'll see them promoting short posts that serve as barely more than glorified spam.

Loving it just as it is!

Change is good, yes, and I have seen LOTS of that here.

1. Jodah profile image91

I write both long articles up to 2000 words and short (what I call micro-poems) with less than 200 words. All my hubs are featured and get traffic, though my short poems generally get more traffic than my longer articles, even though three of my longer works have been given 'editor's choice'. But then I'm writing to please an audience and for my own personal writing pleasure, not to make money.

1. Richawriter profile image86
        Richawriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jodah,

Sorry, I was referring to the informational hubs rather than fiction.

As you know, I myself write fiction and it also tends to be shorter in length than my other works but serves a very different purpose.

The informational stuff though, along with videos, quizzes, polls an pics, can be far far better than any short post that only serves to promote rather than assist.

Forums to me, are almost a complete waste of time because amidst the sea of clamoring opinions of which there are a million, very little progress is made and it tends to collapse into attempts at wit and humor which also tends to be poor at best.

But I had to add my opinion to the ocean as it makes sense, what Hubpages are doing.

They simply do not want this site to deteriorate into just another twitter or facebook where masses upon masses of people flood in order to promote their products and sites with no thought for the welfare of the site. Bubblewrap will disappear because its full of liberty takers (not completely) who will flood it with junk and links and bring it down like so many sites before it. Hubpages has set a standard and quite admirably, despite the echoes of dissent that bounce off these walls day in day out, they adhere to those standards and that is what gives me confidence that in 2 years I'll still be here.

On another note, Jodah, I need to go and read your poems.

Take care buddy.

Rich

1. Jodah profile image91

I agree Rich, I rarely have an interest in visiting forums unless the topic draws me in. I also have Faith in the management of hub pages to stand firm and be solid in their support of quality rather than quantity. I have no interest of checking "bubble wrap". I have been here four years and no intent of changing allegiances. Please do visit my hubs, I look forward to your comments.

Jodah I seldom if ever follow a writer around but I would follow you anywhere!

1. Jodah profile image91

Same here Eric. I check your forum topics because they are never dull.

Richiawriter great points to think out.

One thing is for sure: The way it is has also made me a better writer -- still not all that good.  :-)
      And I agree when searching - If it is in depth stuff I want and google tells me it is hubpages - that is where I go first.

1. Richawriter profile image86
        Richawriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But still pretty good! wink

17. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I can't believe someone posted in this thread with a hub that consists solely of one video and no words, and no-one noticed  or comented on it.
    Worse, the video is in a foreign language!

18. Burntywurnty profile image61
    Burntywurntyposted 10 years ago

Meh, hubpages shouldn't change, every site is different and every site has a different type of audience.

Also I recommend that people stay away from bubblews, the site is maintained in a terrible manner. They only pay people on a random basis while claiming that the people they don't pay broke a rule.

Now this would be acceptable as an explanation, but they never tell you which rule you broke and it is almost impossible to get an answer out of their support team (they only answer 1 question out of the hundreds they get and simply ignore the others)

1. frogpatch profile image57
      frogpatchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would not write for Bubblews because it sounds like a pre-schoolers TV show, like Bug a Loos. Would you want to send a potential client there to view your writing?  Not me. I have no problem sending them here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)