Profile Picture

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I've been debating this for a week or so now...

Do you guys prefer to use a picture of you or a picture of something else?

I see that many of you use picitures of yourselves, your children, spouses, pets, or other miscellaneous pictures.

Is there a benefit to using a particular type of picture?

I'm  just thinking about replacing the picture of me to something else, and I'm just not sure about it yet.

1. makemoneyonline profile image39
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a picture of myself because at the moment I want to preserve my privacy though it is well known in webmarketing that you should have a picture of yourself because it creates a more trustable impression to your readers that you are genuine.

So clearly you'd better use a picture of yourself.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

That's an interesting question.  I like to use a picture of myself because I'm the writer.  I guess I want to promote myself.  If I ever used a picture of something else, it would have to encompass the topics I write about...and, I can't figure out what that would be.

3. Prince Maak profile image60
    Prince Maakposted 16 years ago

Interesting question, sm ppl wnt 2 promote themselves and sm like me they dnt. I dnt think any picture benefit our hubs. But a gud profile or a gud picture attracts visitors smtimes.

1. trakker14 profile image61
      trakker14posted 16 years agoin reply to this

do you text a lot? cause your abrev are hard to decipher.

4. Eileen profile image58
    Eileenposted 16 years ago

Good question, I'm kinda hooked on my picture right now, but I'm thinking of putting a picture of me or my pets.  Just do whatever you want, remember, if you don't like it you can always change it.When I first joined I put a whole bunch of different pictures up and then i thought this one looked good, so maybe fool around and see what happens. =]

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I second makemoneyonline. If you are selling something (and Amazon and Ebay capsules *do* count as selling), picture of yourself improves the trust from your customers...

6. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

I'm undecided on this one. No-one out there can possibly know if a photo is genuinely of the author. Some high ranking hubbers are certainly using photos that are neither of themselves nor even of their age, gender etc. If I was trying to make a living here, I'd probably go for a pic of me, but as I make my living elsewhere, I've gone for a woodcarving that still conveys something of the persona I try to project. And at least it's a woodcarving from my own collection!

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image72
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point Paraglider.  I suppose it is risky to be out there, you never know who you might offend.  I, too, make my living elsewhere...I wonder who's watching?

2. makemoneyonline profile image39
      makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Sure but you know the subconcious ...  smile

7. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

I actually just changed my profile photo this morning. Up until now, I used a headshot of myself, but I'm kind of sick of seeing it smile I replaced it with this photo because it still represents what I write about (home/garden/environment) and it's something cheerful and summery for me to look at regularly in the middle of a long, gray Detroit winter big_smile

I use a headshot almost everywhere else, exactly for the reason Stacie mentioned: I'm the author, so I feel like my photo should be on my work. I guess if I get another photo of myself that I actually like, I might put a headshot back up. For now, I'm sticking with the ladybug smile

8. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 16 years ago

I supose I could find pictures more appealing than my owns big_smile lolol, but because I fell good with myself and more important have no intention to offend who ever read both my hubs and/or comments, I use my pictures in profile and even in some of my hubs cool.

9. Whitney05 profile image83

Hm... Thanks guys.. It's opened my view on things. I was wanting to protect my privacy by removing my picture, but I like the idea of created a trustworthy appeal to readers. I'm still undecided at the moment.

If anyone else has comments, I'd sure love to hear them!

10. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

For the record, that photo of Whitney in her avatar looks just like one of my cousins.

So the trust factor is 100% here! smile

11. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I don't use a head shot of myself because of the risk of identity theft. All someone needs to make up a fake ID is your name, a head-and-shoulders photo, and your birthdate.  If you've been silly enough to show your birthday on MySpace or Facebook, they only have to match them up and your identity is gone.

I know some people say your identity is at risk in lots of other places, but that's like saying there's no point driving carefully on a minor road because most crashes happen on the freeway.

12. Whitney05 profile image83

:-) Thanks darkside. I think I need a new picture...

Marissa- I totally agree with you. Although I have a head shot, do you think that it would be "stealable" as it is a side shot versus a frontal view? (I don't mean stealable, but would it be a picture someone would want)

13. Marisa Wright profile image86

Whitney, I don't think it would be any good for a fake driver's licence or passport because they want a frontal view.

1. Lissie profile image77
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Also smiling makes the photo unusable - if youve down a passport short recently you have to look straight ahead and not smile - its quite hard!
      I guess I use the photo because it captures my delight of the moment which I was feeling, its a candid shot by my partner. I have an unusual surname so I would be pretty easy to trace if someone wanted to - but I dont think I am cute/young/rich enough to be a target to be honest ROTFL! And yes  I am proud of what I write on the internet and if an employer objected they could put their job in a place the sun doesn't shine -  I don't take kindly to employers controlled what you do out of hours.  To be honest though if I was doing adult stuff I would probably use a pseudonym so as not to shock the rellies!

1. prasadjain profile image63
        prasadjainposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I feel we should use our own pictures. Using someone else's picture often misleads. I don't think witney05 needs to change her picture. We have accepted her as she is.Unless one is celebrity, and wants to avoid public nuisences, he/she need not hide himself/herself.

1. vietnamese profile image66
          vietnameseposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That's how I felt! I am one of the celebrity, so I am not going to post my pix.....hehehehehehe.... but when I do post it, I will probably not a celebrity anymore! heheheehehe

2. profile image0
      RUTHIE17posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but even with a side shot, several of the photo programs out there can turn it around to a frontal view.

At least, with your pet in the picture it would be harder to do--but still doable, I think.

Use a picture of a model you find somewhere or use a picture from a long time back when you looked completely different or use a picture of a relative you admire.

Just a few suggestions.  As you can see, I prefer the "something else" picture.

14. Whitney05 profile image83

That's what I was thinking, but thought I'd ask. As if I choose to do an update, it too will be from the side. I hate taking frontal pictures.

15. Jackilyn profile image58
    Jackilynposted 16 years ago

can't wait 2 see your picture!

16. Marisa Wright profile image86

Lissie, not smiling could work for the passport, but there's no restriction on smiling for a drivers' licence.  And actually, I don't remember being told not to smile for my Aussie passport or my British one - so maybe it's just a Kiwi thing?

Certainly in Brisbane, and also in NZ - you don' t supply the photo it's taken by them on their gear straight onto the license (its not a separate photo) - I'll let you know what the deal is in Perth when I swap over next month!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in NSW and Victoria the drivers' licence is taken by them at their office, but I've never been told not to smile - I'm certainly smiling on my current one!  Passport photos you supply yourself - my last photo was pretty un-smiley, but I do recall that in my previous UK passport, I had a big grin.

2. caspar profile image60
      casparposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Definitely you're not allowed to smile on British passport photos - they have very strict rules.  I think the only people allowed to smile are babies - but they must have their eyes open!

I don't know about British driving licence photos - mine hasn't got a photo, it's an old one just printed on paper.  If I change address (or get speeding points), I think I have to get a new one with a photo on.

I don't use a head shot on Hubpages (or anywhere else online) to protect my privacy (also I'm kind of shy).  But I am thinking about posting one.  It does certainly give readers a feeling of trust, from my experience.

17. cabinboy profile image59
    cabinboyposted 16 years ago

Post your pic, Of course thats easy for me to say because I am so darn good lookin.

18. Robinson Rex profile image60
    Robinson Rexposted 16 years ago

I like to have the anonymity of not having my picture online.  But that being said, I really like being able to see peoples faces as I read their posts.  It really makes things feel more personal.

19. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Not only do I use actual pictures of myself, I tend to use the best pics of me that I can.  The one I use here was taken by a friend of mine who is a professional photographer.  When deciding which picture to use, I also paid attention to where my face was in the shot, so that when it appears as a smaller avatar, my HubScore isn't over my face.

20. profile image0
    daflaposted 16 years ago

I remember when Daniel Steele first came out, she refused to have her picture on her book jackets, then she started having one with a hat pulled down over her face, or something.  She wanted to preserve her privacy for awhile.  It took until everyone already knew who she was that she started putting her picture on her books.

I'm like that.  I want people to read what I wrote, not look at me, not that I'm anything to look at.
    Same theory as the one behind super skinny models...look at the clothes, not the model.

21. chabrenas profile image61
    chabrenasposted 16 years ago

That's a nice pic you use at the moment, but if you feel that it doesn't match the mood or content of what you write here you could change it. The obvious non-human candidate in your case is a Pit Bull Terrier wink

22. sevenGEIN profile image60
    sevenGEINposted 16 years ago

My photo is of the two most amazing people in the world... Kudos to anyone who guesses who they are.

23. seamus profile image58
    seamusposted 16 years ago

This is a good question. For the time being, I'm using a photo I took. I'm concerned about identity theft and and am protective of myself online.

I do use Facebook and am careful about what information I share there. Someone mentioned not having your bday. I have the month and date but not the year. I wonder if I should remove the month/year?

24. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I did a stint as a contracted temporary manager in passports, and I can confirm that a neutral expression is required for Australian passports, too.

The photo guidelines have been tightened up dramatically in the past 4-5 years, because they are moving to computer face-recognition technology, with a bio-chip embedded in the passport document itself. All new NZ passports are biochip - and that's when they switched from 10-year to 5-year passports for adults, when they brought that in.

You will find that you need to look straight ahead, have a neutral expression, pull your hair back, and in most cases remove your spectacles, in order to get a photo that passes muster.

On the plus side, once they get the technology installed everywhere, it will be faster to go through Immigration.

On the minus side, well, ask the conspiracy theorists .... wink

Jenny

the biggest rippof yet -the of course didn't half the price -they in fact increased it.  And its not realy a 5yr passport -its more like 4.5 yr passport as most countries require the passport to be valid for 3- 6 months after entry! And as far as I can find NZ is the only country that has gone to 5 year passports - and we have such a HUUUUGE security problem (sarcastic smilie here)

25. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

But don't you feel safe from terrorists now? Where is that sarcastic smilie?

26. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

NZ is merely leading the trend - they're all jumping on the bandwagon.

Australia, if it hasn't already, is certainly planning on doing exactly the same thing. And Americans needn't smile smugly, because I believe Australia and NZ are going down this path because the US has announced a date after which it will issue biochip passports and require arriving visitors to have them, at least from countries whose citizens can get automatic short-term visas.

The next step is embedding the biochip under your skin of course ... where did I put that smilie ...?

Jenny

27. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 16 years ago

So, who uses pictures of their pets?

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I've thought about it, but I kind of like the idea of my own picture. Makes it more personal as others have said.

Although, I think I'm going to change it later today to a different picture (still of me).

28. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 16 years ago

Hey Lissie, how long is your passport good for?

Ours have been 5 year forever.

My UK one is good for 10 years, my ozzie for 10years and my NZ for 5 years -  I hadn't realised that about Canadian ones! And the NZ one if you have to apply back , or send back your application to NZ - including getting a signature on someone who's know you for 5 years - which is highly inconvenient if you are living elsewhere - and NZers hardly ever do that! <sarcastic smile!>

29. privateye2500 profile image41
    privateye2500posted 15 years ago

If you have that fear.

Use a picture of someone else.

Not a *thing* - people want to see a face - doesn't mean it has to be YOURS.  :}

OR -- you can *make a face* like stick out your tongue - that isn't going on a passport! 

Besides, it takes a whole lot more than a photo.  If someone steals your identity, they are not likely to use your real picture anyway - trust me on this one.  I *know*.

Recently a doctor friend of mine had her Identity stolen and they cleaned out her bank account; she did something really stupdi to make it easy for them but that is beside the point - the damage was done, she phones me up - what do i do...blaa blaa.  So, I fixed it.

She said if it hadn't been for me-they'd have probably moved into her home before she caught on! LOL!!

It certainly had NOTHING what so ever to do with what she looks like.  A photo.
    Nothing.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I bet you are using someone else's smile

1. privateye2500 profile image41
        privateye2500posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh I am SO much better looking than that!  I kid you not.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Being addicted to your writings, I am dying to see your real pic, please! smile

You ARE?  Addicted to my writing/rambling/weirdness?

Gee, I am speechless!

Write to me privately and I will send you the url so you can see the *real me*

Come on - don't be shy -- then you can secretly know how awesome I really look!

2. privateye2500 profile image41

Pictures of pets...hmmm. I just bet there are people out there who would actually believe a dog wrote a hub.  LOL!

30. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

lol

31. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Request sent smile

32. akeejaho profile image60
    akeejahoposted 15 years ago

So whats so silly about a dog writing a Hub? 

Oh, and I use this picture cause my master won't let me use the camera anymore.

33. profile image0
    tdruskposted 15 years ago

I like to think that having your picture does help. I may not know his name or exactly what he looks like, but I do know that there is a balled guy from problogger.com that writes good tutorials.

Honestly, I was attracted to a girls hub because she was cute before. Sad but true.

34. balisunset profile image59
    balisunsetposted 15 years ago

I live in a tropical island and I photographed some sunset pics....so I think I put that sunset pic as my logo everywhere

I have pick a good and easy to remember name...

hopefully this will build up a good brand recognition

beside I don't think my face will sell well.......LOL

35. Veronica profile image68
    Veronicaposted 15 years ago

A lot of people brought up a lot of good points on this.
    I'd like to add two things. The first is, don't use a pic you do not have permission to use. Whether it's someone's photo or artwork, it's copyright infringement, which is stealing.

And the second is, I think if you're trying to build your readership, your avatar should be consistent.

Personally, I'm a professional ghost writer and my anonymity is important to me. I got my "eye" artwork from a graphic artist (credited in my profile)  and have been using it since 2005. I consider it my signature. It's on my blog, my myspace, my hubs, on any columns or articles I write, It's on the T-shirts of my blog, etc. Everyone knows it's me.

36. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

I agree with Veronica, about consistency, anonymity and ownership. I live in a place where to criticise openly can lead to imprisonment and/or deportment. So, while I don't indulge in anonymous 'sniping', it still makes sense to write as 'Paraglider'. And I feel that if you are not going to use your own image, it is more honest to use an object, animal, graphic etc than an image of someone else.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)