HubFeed

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 71 discussions (103 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

We're just about ready to open up an exciting new feature on HubPages called the HubFeed.  It's basically Hubtivity on steroids, with two key differences:

1) It is really easy to interact with.  You can view content and make comments, forum posts, questions, or answers all without leaving the feed. 

2) The items in your feed are not necessarily a comprehensive list like they are in Hubtivity today.  In the HubFeed we try and show you the most interesting items based on your configuration and the people and topics that you are following.

If you'd like to play around with it, you can access it here:

http://hubpages.com/feed/

We'd appreciate any feedback you have.

Also, if you prefer hubtivity, you can still access it here:

http://hubpages.com/hubtivity/

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh its awesome, but you cant see whats happening to the forum in general but at least you can open two windows if you like..

2. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a question--I prefer the old format myself, and you put a link on this post so we can access it.  But is there a spot to access it anywhere else, or do I have to bookmark it?

I'm sorry, but the new feed is just too "busy" for me...sad

3. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
      Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

[]

Oh, I just accessed the HubFeed. And what a surprise! My latest comment in the hubtivity appeared there. I like this, sort of two birds in one shot? Thanks to you.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like it ... and I like being able to use either/or or both. Good upgrade. It just keeps getting better.

5. susanlang profile image60
      susanlangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think adding this is a good idea and many will benefit from it me included. Thanks.

2. jimmythejock profile image85
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

Nice but i dont like the idea of being able to comment on a hub without actually reading it, gives an open door to those people who always say great hub you should read mine.....jimmy

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Jimmy.  Sure, people have the technical ability to read a hub from the feed, but that's not going to guarantee that they will.  I really feel that people leaving comments should have to visit the Hub.

Otherwise, what's the point of us taking the time to create all that content?  Explained via another scenario, do you feel it's valid if people who have never seen a movie write reviews about them?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to say I agree, I feel people should not be able to comment on hubs without first visiting them.

3. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 14 years ago

Awesome cool

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I like that if you are following a couple threads, you can comment on them right from hubtivity. Although, not sure about the hub commenting part.

5. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

I like it! big_smile

6. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
    Fawntiaposted 14 years ago

I want to point out that you can read a hub without leaving your HubFeed. Just click on the "view hub" link with the magnifying glass icon next to it. Our hope is that hubbers will in fact read hubs before commenting, but I understand the concern that some will choose not to. We were concerned about that possibility as well, but decided that the benefits outweighed the risk. Hopefully we were right. smile

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lots of spam and 'great hub' comments this way though. Guess it's something to watch... I don't think most people who leave those type of comments read them anyway; this just makes it easier to leave bulk cheap comments, so to speak.

2. hublim profile image67
      hublimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the format, viewing the hub with the magnifying glass is great, I find a lot easier to read.

With regards to commenting without reading the hub, there isn't much stopping people from doing that just now. Perhaps you could consider disabling the comment feature unless the view glass has been clicked.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Looks very cool smile

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

Looks cool to me and I'll look at it more - I think it is a workable feature and will be fun.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

To get the most out of the feed, you'll want to make sure you're following topics.  At the top right-hand-side of the feed, at http://hubpages.com/feed it's easy to add topics to your feed.

If you follow a top level topic, you'll get the best things that are under it and in the subtopics as well.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks for pointing that out. what a great idea. I like it so far.
      will have to spend more time playing with it.

10. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

It looks cool & I replied to some forum posts from it.

It would be nice if we could have our "followers" linked into this so we could chat with each other.

So we can add our hubs links to the feed and it won't be considered overly promotional?

11. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

This is way to cool for words - thanks so much Paul Deeds et al. I have been playing around with it and it is wonderful. There will always be those who throw in "great hub" remarks, but I don't think this will add to or subtract from their ranks. I am not generally a fan of things that filter my choices ("improve my browsing experience"), but this makes commenting a breeze - I love this feature!

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Wow! now that is way cool. Thanks Mr. Paul big_smile doin a awesome job making HP a fun site indeed!

13. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I checked Hubfeed out and everything seemed to work fine and the format I enjoyed.

I do agree with other Hubbers. People using the feed should not be able to leave a comment on a Hub, unless they actual visit the Hub. If they didn't read it in the first place, then they have no reason to be leaving a foolish comment for which will probably have nothing to do with the Hub and be generic, at best and also without feeling.

Comments on Hubs portray readers feelings or emotions, when they are done reading the content. You subtract out impactful comments and insert, again at best, a generic comment, it actually devalues the quality of the Hub, including the content.

Just a thought.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely and great feed by the way, Thanks! big_smile

14. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Awesomeness with a side of awesome sauce!

1. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 14 years ago

I think this is a real fun and useful too. But how to use it.

2. Shalini Kagal profile image54
      Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

Love it! smile

3. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 14 years ago

I can't get to it! sad  I was instructed to report this to the feedback link, but am unable to do so.
      I also tried to leave a comment on lyricsingray's newest hub and it wouldn't take it.
      I'll try again since others seem to love it!

1. Haunty profile image72
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, they are fixing the site right now.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure they are, but it is frustrating, and I'm a complainer! lol

2. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey haunty....are you here?

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image58
          JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am facing similar problems.

Thanks,
          Jyoti Kothari

2. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now all has become quite back to normal-including the Feed option.  I like it!  I really like it!

4. itech profile image65
      itechposted 14 years ago

Useful for me.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

I do not like the changes. Instead of the regular easy to read Hubtivity it is all in FEED and it is very difficult to scan the messages that you want to read. If I wanted to read what was posted in everything then I would go to that certain hub or forum and read it. What are they trying to be like FB and other media? Why can't they be themselves?

6. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 14 years ago

The ability to view content and make comments, forum posts, ask questions, and answer questions all without leaving the feed is very good. 

If someone makes a comment on my hub that I don’t like I have the option to deny it or accept it.

But the “view” should be fully loaded with ads so that the hubbers/readers can click on them if they want.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I was dissapointed to see my hub dismantled from its surrounding decor. It's like seeing a play without the stage sets.

7. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If I have limited the comments on my hubs to those that I approve and require approval before they are shown, will they show up in the feed before I approve them?

(I never used the old hubtivity and probably won't use this either. It's just too busy and fractured for me to focus on the hub. But it seems to be important to HP, so I hope it goes well.)

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto... I will glance at it when I first log in, but it's not a big concern to me.

8. janiek13 profile image76
      janiek13posted 14 years ago

Loving it! It gives an overview of what is happening and you can still look deeper if you want more detail. Also, my post was on it, so I love it more!Lol

9. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 14 years ago

Nelle, comments that you have not approved will not show up in your HubFeed or anybody else's HubFeed. They will show up in people's feeds if/when you approve them.

10. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years ago

ugh....I am not sure I like it.  Its way too facebook, so we can comment on every event now? I see all kinds of posts but I dont know if they are "whats on your mind" or on a hub or are ahub or a queston...maybe its just my computer. I am so lost...

11. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years ago

hey, I just found a link to the old hubtivity...never mind..Im good.  smile

12. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years ago

This is a really cool feature I'm gonna love it

13. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

I like the filtering ability in the feed. I took some time just now to set my filters as well as the topics I want to follow. This little effort on my part made the "feed" more manageable. But I think some "help instructions" would be useful. It took a while for me to figure out the right-hand column.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
        Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreat and useful Tool much thanks! smile

14. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image58
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

I have just seen the announcement. I can not comment on the same before using it several times.

15. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Is there any way of opting out of this?

I know it's a great feature for some, and it's all very shiny, but I don't actually want everybody I know here to read every passing thought I write.  My comments are for the owners of the hub in question, just a tiny little smidgen of privacy would be nice.

Sorry to go against the grain, but I didn't like hubtivity much, and I like this even less.

16. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I just took a look even though I didn't use hubtivity too often. I realize there are certainly issues but I like the feature that allows me to easily see hubs I've commented on.  I'll be interested to see how this plays out over time.

17. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Thanks a lot.  Now I'm even more addicted.  You people are sinister and cruel.

18. jiberish profile image78
      jiberishposted 14 years ago

The feed shows the title of the hubs, the comment, but not the author, just the avatar. Am I missing something?

Nevermind, I finally found my glasses. smile

19. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Im not sure... Need to do some more.

20. Bob Ewing profile image64
      Bob Ewingposted 14 years ago

This I like. well done.

21. Lady Guinevere profile image68

I like Hubtivity and clicked on it to get there BUT how do I keep it as my choice?  If I go to the forums and then back it automatically goes to the new FEED choice.  There should be some place that we can choose which look we want.

22. Williamjordan profile image57
      Williamjordanposted 14 years ago

I like it Hub pages rock

23. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It looks "neat", but it did occur to me that it may result in people commenting and not bothering to read Hubs?  Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture.  If I have a whole Hub on the screen in front of me, I'm more likely to read it.  If I see a few lines and get "inspired" to comment on them, I think I may be more likely to look for yet another few lines to see what's there, rather than clicking " read more" in the midst of my urge to put in my two cents.   hmm Then again, thousands of people are going to do thousands of different things.

24. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I like it a lot. it's a real time feed and one doesn't have to keep clicking on hubtivity. If the hub sounds interesting, I click to read more just like on a facebook news feed. I'm sure it took a lot of time, etc. to dream it and get it going. Bravo HP.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like it too (in spite of wondering what I mentioned above).  The more features/options, the better.  People will find the ones they find most handy.

25. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

I enjoy seeing the last comment it made it is easier to access then browsing through (your) on the forums or trying to find the last comment you made on your own hubs. At least we have options and can move from one to the other. smile

26. Lady Guinevere profile image68

You could always do that before.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmmm.... I always have to go directly to the hub and then scroll down to the last comment, on the hub feed it is right up-front, interesting I did not realize we had that option before now to just jump directly to the comment.

27. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Is it possible to have "Hubtivity" (pure, unsteroided version) still available as a hotlinked option, perhas NEXT to the word "Feed" in case we want to access it the old fashioned way?

Also, I have been absent for a bit and seem to have missed the explantion of the switchover from "Fans" to "Followers" -- what's this? MM

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
        ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quite a few forums running around on this one, and also an official announcement.  Fans was changed to Followers with some upcoming HP changes in mind apparently.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, yes, a thread was run on this a few days ago where people debated essentially if they felt like a "follower" was a zombie-like stalker or was simply a follower of our writings. I shall try to track down the link for you MM.

3. TamCor profile image80
        TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can someone answer this question?  smile

1. profile image0
          R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you click on hubpages (at the upper left) while signed in, you would see the hubtivity window, provided that you have the home page style set to standard.

28. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Interesting.  I'm fairly new, and hadn't really worked my way around "Hubtivity" to begin with.  Not sure if this puts me at an advantage or disadvantage.  I don't have the old to become detached from... but I also don't have it to base an opinion on - or know exactly how to use it.

What is the "status" tab, btw?  I'm familiar with Questions and Forums.  Is status new? Or did I just miss it until now?

29. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Ahhh, here it is Mighty Mom http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/29618 This is where the follower/fan debate really took off.

30. cashmere profile image78
      cashmereposted 14 years ago

Something new and different. Will take time to get used to again.

31. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years ago

CONS:

1. Spam Comments: Comments without reading, especially those outside hubpages wanting to get lots of backlinks, though I'm not sure if the spam identifier is also upgraded.

2. Ugly Look on Opera: What's with the left-right scroll?

3. A new hub with _ comments by author. Prefers "A new hub by author with _ comments."

4. Inappropriate opportunities to comment: For hubbers reaching milestones...probably only "congratulations!"

5. Possibly less views and less internal traffic? Not sure if it's a con, but if stats are also disabled, probably this is the cause. I mean, if hubs are magnified, then does it follow that such doesn't count on registering views? And, can google analytics follow that as a view?

PROS:

1. Twitter atmosphere: buzzing!

2. Encouraging discussion: Hubbers will get turned more into reading a hub when they read the comments too, so it's not just about good titles for the community, but also good discussion.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Better spam filters. I like the "comment now" feature for hubs that hubbers have already commented on. Again, it encourages discussion.

2. "A new hub by author with _ comments."

3. Remove "comment now" feature for milestones.

4. No magnification. View tab as a link to the hub.

5. More hub description/summary/abstract to encourage views.

P.S. Perhaps google is punishing hubs for getting more internal traffic than organic search engine traffic? If that's the case, magnification tab works best for hubbers.

32. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years ago

Oops! So the view tab is only applicable for those who have gotten some comments already. Hmmm. I guess repeatedly viewing a hub just to comment risks reducing the "average time spent" for that hub...In that case, the magnification tab is better for those who simply just want to comment and not read the hub again anymore. But for those who haven't read the hub yet but got encouraged to read with the comments, then the magnification tab feature could reduce significant page views. Perhaps the view tab could only be applicable to repeating visitors...IDK, but does google punish repeating views? Hmmm.

33. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

Seems like the hub version of twitter !

34. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

No  its different I know !

35. Jerilee Wei profile image68
      Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I think I like it, but maybe I missed something, must I always to to forums to get into it, or is there some tab for easy access?

36. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

It is a blast Sir Paul... I appreciate it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)