Can you really have a relationship with someone you don't trust.

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 240 discussions (265 posts)
  1. SatendraSaini profile image44
    SatendraSainiposted 9 years ago

No this is not possible to have a relationship with a person, mostly if he is not his/her believe able.  So you can't have a relationship with someone you don't trust..............

2. Coco Allure profile image60
    Coco Allureposted 9 years ago

No... not really. It will totally suck and you likely won't really be happy.

3. jemuelO profile image88
    jemuelOposted 9 years ago

No. Trust is one of the most important factors in a relationship. You can never have a peaceful and harmonious relationship without trust. Your lives will be full of anxiety and stress (of course). Getting worried about what he/she is doing every time you are far from each other is not good at all. Isn't it bad to think about your partner cheating on you? You will never be happy for the rest of your lives. You'll be busy finding the loop holes in your lives. Trust is a manifestation of love. Not investing trust in a relationship is like building a castle in the sand. It will never be strong enough to withstand the winds of life.

4. Kuroko Tetsuya profile image53
    Kuroko Tetsuyaposted 9 years ago

you can never love someone if you don't have trust for that person.

5. profile image52
    Kyrie001posted 9 years ago

No, you can't, if you don't trust them then whats the point? If you don't trust them then you can't share your thoughts, dreams, opinions, and just talk about your feelings. I relationship like that is pretty much dead. However, giving it a chance to work over time is your decision but if its a while and you still don't trust each other despite saying you love each other then I doubt it'll work out and you should move on.

6. evan ruby profile image58
    evan rubyposted 9 years ago

no but if that person says they can be trusted you should give them a chance because  you never know what happens

7. bzirkone profile image55
    bzirkoneposted 9 years ago

Sure.  It won't be a deeply meaningful relationship but it happens everyday.. all the time.  I have relationships where I don't trust the person at all.  I may still enjoy their company and I may even like them.  I wouldn't let them see me naked or tell them my secrets.  I still enjoy knowing them.  People put waaaay too much weight on everything having to be perfect or meaningful and judging people for not passing certain litmus criteria.  Just take people as they are and quit thinking everything has to be important.  Even if I don't trust a person, I make it a point to be trustworthy no matter what the relationship is.  Even liars and cheats respect trust when they find it.

8. kndashy41 profile image73
    kndashy41posted 9 years ago

From my experience, if there is no trust there is no relationship.  To me, a relationship is a cooperative partnership.  If for any reason you cannot trust the person you are in a relationship with, how can you trust that their love for you is not a lie?  Ultimately, the first trust issue is how that person perceives you as a part of their sphere.  Can you trust them with your heart? Your home?  Your money? If you can't be sure about your partner for ANY reason, then that will put you on guard, somehow, if you're wise.  And if you are on guard about something, then that will naturally lead you to question other things in the relationship--including your partner's authenticity.  Hope this helps.  smile

9. Rodricklewis profile image41
    Rodricklewisposted 9 years ago

No, the whole time you'll be stuck wondering were the loyalty lay.

10. Suselys Fuentes profile image54
    Suselys Fuentesposted 9 years ago

If it's a person you've been with for a long time and you don't trust them now for something that recently happened, I say try being with him/her. It will take a long time to earn that trust back but with the commitment, communication, help and love of both,  it will be alright. Always making sure it's worth your time (:

1. Carol Reed profile image60
      Carol Reedposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The key word is both working at it. A healthy relationship isn't a "one way street."

11. Virginia Lea profile image72
    Virginia Leaposted 9 years ago

Well, I am sure you can make it work. But if you don't trust your partner then it really isn't a relationship. Yall are just housemates.

12. craftybegonia profile image60
    craftybegoniaposted 9 years ago

I think that relationships should be built on trust. If you cannot trust a person or even depend upon them, how can you truly open up your heart to them? That not only goes for romantic relationships but even for friendship!

13. Che Rogers profile image61
    Che Rogersposted 9 years ago

You can but it won't be a healthy relationship. I wouldn't waste my time with untrustworthy relationships and spend it focusing on those whom you can trust.

14. Gabriel Wilson profile image92
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 9 years ago

I really don't think you can, but I also think you can learn to trust and if the right person comes along you will learn to trust them and them being the right person should realise how hard you have had to work to trust them. In other words: both of you showing your desire to trust each other.
    Trust covers everything in a relationship: money; work; fidelity; family; togetherness; time; honesty and so one. Trust is an important building block in ever relationship, it carries the strain of all the other building blocks.

15. one2get2no profile image72
    one2get2noposted 9 years ago

Personally I think it is impossible to have a relationship with someone whom you can't trust.

16. Jennifer Bart profile image60
    Jennifer Bartposted 9 years ago

I do believe love can be present without trust however you will never be happy or fulfilled in a relationship without trust. More so than not trust can not be rebuilt not to say it is not possible. You can also love someone from a distance once trust has been broken. Loving someone and being in a relationship are two different things.

1. profile image53
      frumpletonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

How true!

17. KL Klein profile image67
    KL Kleinposted 9 years ago

You can certainly have a relationship with them, it just won't ever be a good one.

Sometimes broken trust can be mended, but it takes time and full commitment from both parties.

18. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I don't think so. Trust is earned and does not come automatically.
    If a person has not won your trust something is wrong.
    How can a person go on without trusting their partner?
    Mistrust leads to quarrels and resentment. Why waste your time?

1. profile image30
      sobuj7320posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I adore your post. I be familiar with a love tips web page. If you want to find out about any tips you can travel to this site.....

http://fondhearts.com/

19. manthy profile image60
    manthyposted 9 years ago

No you can't - The relationship will eventually fail. There must be trust don't waste your time if you do not fully trust them.

20. mickshaw555 profile image63
    mickshaw555posted 9 years ago

Yeah you can, if you are desperately seeking a partner and have no alternatives.

21. bensen32 profile image77
    bensen32posted 9 years ago

I suppose the follow up question is can you forgive and/or forget and trust them again?
    Personally, I will not give my trust to someone once it is lost and there for the relationship is pretty much over.

1. Carol Reed profile image60
      Carol Reedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One can forgive, maybe even forget if the trust has been broken once & lives can be mended but if the action that causes the trust to destroy a relationship is serious enough or happens again then the other person lives in a state of suspicion.

22. Tammy L Bond profile image61
    Tammy L Bondposted 9 years ago

I don't know about others, but I definitely cannot. For any kind of relationship, trust is tops on the importance list.  Even family members that are dishonest I love from a distance.

23. dhimanreena profile image66
    dhimanreenaposted 9 years ago

Without trust a relation is like a body without a heart. If you can't trust your partner then there is no need to live in that relationship. Still if you are doing so, then I am sorry to say you are only fooling yourself.

24. Valorie Esquilona profile image60
    Valorie Esquilonaposted 9 years ago

the answer is definitely no.  no, you cannot have a relationship with someone who you do not trust at all and no, because your relationship with this person will not work and what is the sense of wasting your time and effort for a relationship that you know would not work in the first place? 

trust is one of the foundations of a successful relationship.  it is true that trust is very hard to give and to receive but believe me once you learn how to trust others, the feeling is so fulfilling and it's like you just share the best part of you.

25. The Patriot Scoop profile image60
    The Patriot Scoopposted 9 years ago

Simple answer: NO....I have had these problems in my family, as far as not being able to trust someone and it just does not work out!

26. honghanhvt1182 profile image91
    honghanhvt1182posted 9 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think we can have any serious or long-term relationship with someone we cannot trust. It is just simply impossible. I guess when I was young and naive, life was simple and having a relationship with a mysterious and unpredictable person seemed to be a romantic and tempting thing to do. However, now that I've grown up, I find out that there are so many other things to do and so many responsibilities to bear in life. So investing time and emotion into someone that I cannot just is just a waste of my resources.

27. Tricia Deed profile image86
    Tricia Deedposted 9 years ago

If you do not trust the individual walk or run away from the situation. It would be insane to pursue a relationship with this type of person. But on the flip side of the coin you see others as you see yourself. Is it that you do not trust yourself and you are projecting these feelings onto the other person. One needs to be honest with self and other.

28. Besarien profile image74
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

It really depends on why you do not trust. One reason might be that this person has given you every reason not to trust- in which case I agree with everything ChristinS said.

If you are having trouble trusting anyone because you have had heartbreak and mistreatment in your past, then take things slowly and hope for the best. It is hard to trust if you have been burned but you must get past it in order to have a good relationship.

Let the other person know what happened to you at least in general terms and ask for their patience. You can build trust between you but it will take time and effort on both ends. The good news is that relationships that come about like this tend to be lasting ones.

29. chaitanyasaivb profile image68
    chaitanyasaivbposted 9 years ago

No, with out trust, no relationship exists. Even, if we try to start a relationship, with a person, whom we cannot trust. It will not continue for a long time. It will give some bad effects on our life too.

30. ZAZO profile image62
    ZAZOposted 9 years ago

That's a tough question to answer considering other factors such as personal goals, sexual chemistry, and financial.

31. profile image53
    Umaima Shakirposted 9 years ago

Well, as far as my experience goes, no healthy relationship is possible without trust. Depending on the relationship, I think that when you do not trust someone, it's better that you do not be with them. This will not only save you from doubting yourself and your capabilities, it will also save them from the guilt.
    Trust is the building block of love and love is what brings two people together. From parents, to spouses, every relationship works on the principal of trust. If you trust someone you automatically expect it in return, but when the foundation itself is not strong enough to hold the relationship together, then the relation is actually of no use.
    It's betrayal that hurts the most. I have personally experienced it and I advise that do not waste your emotions on someone who is undeserving or incapable of earning your trust.

32. 10.ABDUL profile image80
    10.ABDULposted 9 years ago

True love can prevail but patience is key. Trust can be earned but it will take effort from both parties and communication will be key

33. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 9 years ago

I agree with Christin.

One can use the same argument for the Divine. Without trust we cannot truly love God. The microcosm is part and parcel of the macrocosm. I pray you find joy when or if it's lacking. Much peace.

34. Street-Wear-Buff profile image39
    Street-Wear-Buffposted 9 years ago

Yes you can have a relationship but it will be a unhealthy one for the both of you!

35. writingmom profile image60
    writingmomposted 9 years ago

You can but it probably won't last long. Trust is essential in a successful relationship. Why would you want to be with someone you can't trust?

36. dredcuan profile image91
    dredcuanposted 9 years ago

I don't think it is possible because trust is very important in every relationship such as sibling, parent, son/daughter or even intimate relationships with others.  Trust serves as the foundation of all the relationships we have.

37. profile image56
    Ericwoodtextmybizposted 9 years ago

No, pure love and trust both are suppletive of each other. You can't fell in pure love with anybody without having pure trust .

38. profile image0
    ShujinkoDegusposted 9 years ago

If a person is worthy of being given time to in order to reform, only then should a person think it is worthy to have a relationship with such a person.

39. ShavyaInfotech profile image60
    ShavyaInfotechposted 9 years ago

Trust is extremely important in a relationship, of course. But that doesn't mean you don't love them.It's almost impossible to have a serious connection with someone if you don't have that kind of bond. ... dudes because we really want to think that they're a good person

40. Carolann Nattell profile image58
    Carolann Nattellposted 9 years ago

Most definitely NOT. Maybe a physical relationship but sooner or later if not already someone with want more, and if you cant trust each other then you cant have a relationship.

41. Adam Lee Andersen profile image68
    Adam Lee Andersenposted 9 years ago

I  tried it once,  it didn't end pretty.

42. Patrick McCormack profile image62
    Patrick McCormackposted 9 years ago

I have to say simply no. You can have a relationship without trust but it will not last. Small problems will become huge problems and the stress of the constant suspicion will take a toll on you. Don't expect to trust someone right away but if you can't build a trusting relationship it isn't going to last very long and if it manages to you will not be very happy I can guarantee.

43. Rae-LeighDawn profile image60
    Rae-LeighDawnposted 9 years ago

No. If you can not trust them you are not in the relationship "with" them you are in a relationship with yourself.

44. profile image52
    brendaaposted 9 years ago

For a relationship to grow into a healthy state, trust has to play a major role. Without it the relationship will not last. Love is a feeling, emotion which dwindles' sometimes and then rekindles. Trust on the other hand represents stability. You can rekindle love but building trust that has been broken is very difficult. Because trust is not a feeling it's a belief.

45. monia saad profile image60
    monia saadposted 9 years ago

sure never because relationship are bare based on trust

46. profile image0
    OrhanGokkayaTRposted 9 years ago

Trust is the backbone of a relationship, the reason an individual starts a relationship is to prevent any other sources from attacking the goodness of the bond two significant partners share. The only way to create trust is by time of course. The relationship can still move forward with love but no respect so it might turn into lust.

47. larah31 profile image61
    larah31posted 9 years ago

For me, in a relationship, it takes time to give your 100% trust to your love one. Maybe in a year, you can give him/her your trust.

48. profile image55
    Daman Bangaposted 9 years ago

Love is a feeling that creates a sensation! And trust is  that provides a satisfying feeling ! Where love is trust is!
    Sometimes, you are forced into relationships - and compromising becomes the tool to push your journey. But i feel at some point that compromise breaks you and love cannot just happen - that compromise was because you dint trust and probably something else such as fear of society or pressures made you do compromises.

49. Joel Diffendarfer profile image87
    Joel Diffendarferposted 9 years ago

I have raised nine children...I love them all.  But, do I trust them all the time...No!  Does that mean I will end our relationship?  Absolutely not!
    Trust, to me, is a character building challenge that takes a lifetime.  It includes a lot of work, a lot of failure, and, most important, a lot of love.  Great question--especially when it is turned inward...for me, the question is can someone have a relationship with me even when I've failed to establish trust?

50. VNExplorer profile image60
    VNExplorerposted 9 years ago

Hello ShanteD, great question. Being in a relationship that you don't trust actually depends on how you can handle it, but there are some advice that I would like to share:

(1) Some questions that you should ask yourself: why do you want to stay in this relationship? Does it benefit you emotionally? Is this person willing to do something to gain your trust? Is it coming from your own insecurity?

(2) Before you trust someone, you should trust your own feeling. If you have feeling to this person and don't trust him/her, you should talk to this person. Communication is the key here. But if you feel as if you cannot endure the potential betrayal, then I think you should not spend too much time with the person. Find new friends and keep this person in a distance.

I hope this help. Good luck and all the best to you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)