Can another person decide who is and is not a Christian?

Jump to Last Post 51-80 of 80 discussions (501 posts)
  1. EdwardLane profile image80
    EdwardLaneposted 7 years ago

Only God and Jesus Christ know that, according to passages in the Bible.

1. profile image0
      Gwenneth Leaneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would like to add that Christianity is a great moral lifestyle but being a Christian is having a relationship with Christ.   Christ in us and we in Christ.  Everyone can be a Christ but not everyone has a personal relationship with Christ

2. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is correct. Choosing to follow a religion is a choice 'christ consciousness' in each of us makes to cause a certain type of soul expansion. It isn't necessarily a 'spiritual' lesson we get cuz we're already OLD spirit-beings JUST like Jesus.

2. Dr Mansoor Memon profile image58
    Dr Mansoor Memonposted 7 years ago

Dearest Eric Dierker its pleasure to write answer, but question is , is it really worth importance to get others involved in deciding what we are, what we believe , what we practice.
    i believe the moment we loose self confidence we let others take control of our entire life , then we start believing others . we become so addicted to surrender that we even can not decide what will suit us on any event, what should we eat and so on.
    who cares if someone says you are christian or not, its between you and your lord.
    Thanks Regards Love and Respect for you.
    Dr Mansoor Memon

1. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You raise a very important issue here. Your position is clear. But what about the flip side? I got my wife and children and buddies to keep me in check. They step up and speak up if they see error. We may not agree but we have the talk - that is good

2. profile image0
      Gwenneth Leaneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dr Mansoor Memon, your comment: 'who cares if someone says you are Christian or not, it's between you and your Lord.  This is so true, it is a personal relationship

3. Ericdierker profile image45

This flies in the face of the light analogy. Our light shining is supposed to attract others if we do not give a damn about what others think, we do not love them.

4. Dr Mansoor Memon profile image58
      Dr Mansoor Memonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

yes sir i do agree with your point of flip side, but in that situation there should not be hot discussion . one can only express his her love and contentment of belief but must not impose beliefs.i believe family be kept free to choose faith they fit

5. Ericdierker profile image45

We agree on not imposing. And I think we agree as loving people we should care what others think and feel. But not to the extent in controls us. Maybe influences us? We adapt to be loving but not to be controlled?

3. Annette Roussey profile image63
    Annette Rousseyposted 7 years ago

I don't think anyone could make that decision. Being Christian is different for everyone and we don't all follow a certain religion. I believe we should try to teach our children about God, but I think the decision of what to believe or follow should be us to the person.
    I don't think there are rules to belief and I don't like folks showing up on my door step asking me if I know where I'm going when I die.
    We were all born with free will and no one should ever try to take it away from us.

4. profile image55
    arfapkposted 7 years ago

If you've been a Christian more than 5-minutes, you've be tempted ... “So here is my counsel: we should not burden these outsiders who ... in other words, how Jewish does someone need to become in order to be a Christian?

What is your thought with your last paragraph?

2. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I just read this arfapk!  Excellent point.   Christians and non-Christians will view differently.  Viewpoint only matters for professing Christians.  Professors should be growing in God's Word.

3. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

not Jewish at all, Christlike

5. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 7 years ago

What is a Christian? The thing with man's world is that everybody wants to become something other than being a human being. Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Rastafarianism or whatever religious or spiritual group you brand yourself as is really irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things. All people who brand themselves were human being first. If I wanted to, I could simply form another group called Christians and then decide how that group must act. Long and short is no one can decide what you consider yourself to be.

Most assuredly correct we cannot decide "for" another. That is clearly their purview. But even if a person were to only take the four gospels as word there would be some rough guide so it is not really a "I worship the moon so I am Christian freefall

2. dianetrotter profile image61

Everyone makes a decision. You could start a cult. N attempt 2 get legitimacy, they CALL it Christianity. They wd b added to Cult List w/ others searchable on Christian sites.

3. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric I should bring this to your attention Augustine as a church father in Catholic believe in baptizing babies if not he believed the stain of sin damn them.
      Please explain .

6. profile image57
    RichardLionHeartposted 7 years ago

A person on his own and of his own opinions cannot decide who is or who is not a Christian! Only one who is a Christian, as  the Apostle Paul is and lived as a pilgrim during his ministry on earth. As Paul presented his defence to Agrippa and Festus, Acts 26: 28- 29; Agrippa said, 'And Agrippa [said] unto Paul, With but little persuasion thou wouldest fain make me a Christian.@ Paul's reply, 'And Paul [said], I would to God, that whether with little or with much, not thou only, but also all that hear me this day, might become such as I am, except these bonds.'
    So one to judge and decide whether one is a Christian or not is if they are Christian as Paul is who has obeyed the gospel which Paul preached and is an imitator of Paul as he was of Christ; 1 Corinthians 11: 1!

Interesting complete faith in the Pauline doctrine. You go even further that our Catechism. Some of us concentrate more on words of Jesus rather than a man who never walked with him. Yes I am pulling your chain a bit. But please explain.

2. profile image57
      RichardLionHeartposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Paul was chosen by The Lord Jesus as a chosen vessel to take the Gospel to the gentiles; Acts 9: 15, 16.  Read John 17: 20.; The apostle Paul: read beginning of Paul's letters to Timothy and Titus; 2 Peter 3:14-16. 2 Corinthians 13:10, Romans 16: 25.

OK thank you for that bit that nobody follow without a good 2 hours. We kind of play nice here -- not bury in scripture.

4. dianetrotter profile image61

Eric, how can you have a discussion on Christianity without the Bible.  That's what Christians study.  That's what learned pastors teach from.

Dianne I have never heard a preacher or been in a bible study where 4 or more verses come out in a single paragraph. It is not helpful to an open discussion. It stymies it. And just throwing it out without explanation is strange.

6. dianetrotter profile image61

We have 250 characters here.  Not enough for in depth explanation.  However, without the Bible, there is no Christianity.

7. Ericdierker profile image45

Correct Dianne - 250 so maybe one verse.
      Now Dianne you know there can be Christianity without the Bible. No Christians for 325 years? MMLJ not Christian? Paul? Christening? By God's choice? Corinthians? You mean something else - true?

8. profile image57

Dianne is right; without scripture there is no divine standard of authority, as the sum of God's inspired word word is Truth!  If no written Divine Standard there is just confusion, chaos and disorder!

9. Ericdierker profile image45

Well Richard I like your assertiveness but answer the questions I posed. 300 years without a Bible yet there were clearly Christians. And all the other examples. Address that please and feel free to ask me to delete your answer so you may write new.

10. dianetrotter profile image61

The Bible was compiled from written manuscripts of people God used.  http://www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/t … -the-bible writers were inspired by God.

11. Ericdierker profile image45

But Diane address the 1st 300 years without it -- clearly they were Christians - some at least that believed without a Bible. Maybe 100.00 souls believing without a Bible. What nonsense are you suggesting.

12. Terrielynn1 profile image84
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric. I think you might be missing and important point. The bible wasn't written in a room all at same time. It was written over time. The Jews had rules and laws. By birth they were gods chosen. After that it changed. everyone could find god.

13. dianetrotter profile image61

E, New T believers had the witness of live disciples who traveled, proclaiming word of God, establishing churches.  Many saw Jesus, many were healed, etc.  That was not history but current events.  We have more responsibility because we have the hist

14. Ericdierker profile image45

Come on Diane just admit that for 300 years Christians had no Bible. So Christianity devised the Bible not the Bible devised Christianity. Then we can move on. I preached and preach matters that come from the Bible. Read my sermons. I do not cite.

15. dianetrotter profile image61

Eric, the disciples were the walking testament.  1 Cor 1:25  "For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men."  I have studied God's Word with excellent theologians (DTS trained) since 1978.

16. Ericdierker profile image45

So you agree that for 300 years it was not the Bible but service of the Lord through handed down testimony? You know how that works. I will leave this issue at a nice place and thank you for your position I learned a great deal, thank you.

17. dianetrotter profile image61

Paul's manuscripts were written.  Notice the salutation at the beginning of each one.  They were not in a book. They were letters read to the churches.

18. Ericdierker profile image45

Right on Diane and they we pre-Bible as incorporated by Nicea as part of the Bible created by men. Not the word but the bible. My and my Family's relationship with Jesus our God is not reliant on scripture, We have been brought to Jesus through life.

19. dianetrotter profile image61

Great Eric!  What does it mean to be brought to Him through life?

20. Ericdierker profile image45

Diane - true story. I made a deal with my Buddhist bride. We would go to temple and to church. In the temples she knew no one. In the church she had Vietnamese friends. No study no learning. I was sick in hospital. While walking there Christ adopted.

21. dianetrotter profile image61

Interesting cultural salad! smile  So how did that affect or lead you to Christianity?

22. profile image57

Eric, where is your evidence that there was no scriptures for God's people for 300 years? The seed to plant and make christians is God's inspired word, Luke 8: 11. The apostles made sure that their letters were available after their departure!

23. Ericdierker profile image45

Diane I was already an LEM Episcopal. She caught God without the Bible.

Richard do not cite Luke 8: 11 for your position it is in error obviously. The Sower of Seed - Really? I have no tolerance for verse slingers who clearly do not care to be OK.

24. dianetrotter profile image61

Richard, our ladies group is doing an indepth study, Live Deeply, on parables.  The sower was the first study.  It's imp. that the Word be planted in good (fertile) soil to take root and grow.  Our hearts are the different soils.

25. profile image57

I asked a legitimate question, but you attack me Eric? So unchristian! If there is no word, no sacred scriptures in 300 years there is no seed to be planted, so no fruit can be brought forth. You do not like scripture and have no tolerance for God!

26. Ericdierker profile image45

Richard you are smart and this in my question and I did not attack you but your proposition. Do you even realize how far out "thou wouldest fain make me" sounds. That is not even good Shakespeare - although weirder. You missed the stop for goofy .

27. dianetrotter profile image61

Eric, I don't know Richard.  He is using Scripture to support his position. This is what I have learned to do as a Christian. New Christian are not expected to have the knowledge of the Bible as mature Christians. We are expected to grow thru study

28. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh Diane I apologize to Richard and you if I was brusque. I was given the thorn of a quick tongue. I am just learning so much on this question that I cannot thank you enough. So many cool people stepping out of comfort zones to be heard. PBTG

29. dianetrotter profile image61

Patience and forgiveness are what we are supposed to do Eric.  Thank you for the opportunity.  We are all getting opportunities to show  Christlike character traits.

7. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 7 years ago

Surely only oneself knows the inner workings and requirements of their own minds. Their personal thoughts and needs are satisfied by there own spiritual decisions. There are many words of analysis offered in your answers. Looking at it logically and to answer your direct question, there is only one direct answer and that has to be No.

That is what I thought also. But the twist comes in two forms. Decide for whom? And decide by scripture alone or with and in love? We are fortunate here to avoid the "God speaks to me so I know" comments. And I question whether "oneself" really knows

2. Kiss andTales profile image61

Eric I see that Humans judge what they see and dont know and not see.
      When the Father judges what he sees and knows in a perfect inside out in justice.
      he knows what we know and decline to make changes , but many say I am a christain.He will disown

Thank you friends, I came back to think on these good thoughts as directed by Paul who is a hero of mine. - Leave Marvels to others. This opening of a window into our souls to accept others and God in our way as God designed, wonderful to be a child.

8. stephenteacher profile image69
    stephenteacherposted 7 years ago

Jesus does not lie. He clearly says that all men will know you follow Him if you love one another. We can make judgements. We can say this or that is not Christian behavior. The Apostle Paul makes this clear. However, it looks as if many are mistaking this question for, "Can we tell who is going to heaven"? Of course not.

As you say this is clear "all men will know you follow Him if you love one another." So the rest is Pauline Doctrine, and the degree of love is left to opinion of man. Of course heaven attendees are up to God.

Eric I used that example to explain just why we needed a ransom by the Heavenly Father to restore what Adam and Eve lost for us .the righ to live without dying from what ever can cause death.We are not in the perfect condition Adam and Eve had first

K&T why did you comment on this answer that way? Makes no sense at all.

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

K&T often responds from a cell phone and they often don't go under the answer being responded to - so they don't make sense. Its weird.

9. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 7 years ago

Very good question Eric. Since being a Christian is based on the characteristics of Jesus own personality and his practices would be the beginning to compare. Jesus was our model in a perfect way.
    And so true his followers would not be in the dark on this subject he left a good record to compare.
    The fruitage of his spirit and the Father is open to us at Galatians 5:22.
    Galations 5:24 is also a self analysis of ones own deep inner person good or bad the Heavenly Father is knows.
    In this case he can read hearts .
    Matthew 15:11 also says Its not what enters a mans mouth that defiles a man ,but it is what comes out that defiles him.
    Ephesians 4:9.
    I just belief that our work is to make sure we are doing the christain work Jesus intrusted his followers to do. There is a work to help people learn the truth but to judge its finally we do not have the position.
    But we can encourage and upbuild and practices Jesus ways in ourself we can not go wrong.

Encourage and upbuild are great attributes and fully worthy of a Christian. I like your answer KT. Thanks.

Thanks Eric its nice hearing from you !

10. profile image49
    Frank Annposted 7 years ago

Can another person DECIDE who is and is not a Christian?

My answer: No.

Only the Christian can announce their own faith.  However, this brings up another question altogether. 

Can we see in ones actions and behavior if the path they follow is righteous and based on Christian fellowship or not?

Bergen-Belson is little known, why do you take Ann Frank backwards. I appreciate anonymous as far as asking you not to post here again. I hope you get my request. Nobody has the name Frank Ann. And moving it around I feel is slander.

2. profile image49
      Frank Annposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric-I truly apologize for any offense you may have had to my name.  I believe "Annelies Frank" was an amazing historical icon and in no way intended to slander the name, copy, mimic or otherwise-to be "Frank"-perhaps I will add a change to my name

No, Frank Ann it is my issue not yours. I get posting anonymously except when it comes to Christian matters. I am sure you get that. So it was my sensibilities and not wrong of you at all please accept my apologies.

4. profile image49
      Frank Annposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I completely understand!  I am new to this Hubpage concept as well and appreciate your strong stand on the matter-had you not spoken out I may not have realized the potential impact of my chosen pen name.  Thank you.

Please share with us via your profile who you are so we can get to know you.

6. Kiss andTales profile image61

Alan I understand also your feeling about the claimed titl. christains not all confessing are and are disowned scriptural by Jesus himself.
      But its just a big destraction to detour humans away from the opportunity to learn and know the truth.
      I

7. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh there is some balderdash going on. "people" "sheeple" "don't grasp what our mighty souls and intellect grasp". I find that a bit elitist tawdry. Perhaps as a child the one with the least understanding is the closest to God and more Christian. ???

11. Rowaenna Romeel profile image59
    Rowaenna Romeelposted 7 years ago

I think God created all His creations with equal love and care.No one can decide about being christain or not be christain.Its already been decided by God when we were born.Another thing is that christains are recognised wether they show or not.They are recognised by their meek and good behaviour to others.Christ's peple are different from other its for sure i know.

I think we should strive for meek and good. Sometimes difficult. I find your thought that we are either born Christian or not very interesting.

12. lifelovemystery profile image77
    lifelovemysteryposted 7 years ago

The short answer to the question is 'No'. How a person lives out there faith both in public and private is between them and God.

Michelle that is a nice sentiment. As long as you restrict it to; and they do no harm to others. What is that one church - Hillsboro?

2. lifelovemystery profile image77
      lifelovemysteryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christians are imperfect, just as everyone else. The question was about their faith, not actions.

3. dianetrotter profile image61

Christians do harm others that is why the Lord wants us to be angry and sin not and to reconcile with our brothers.  Christianity can't be discussed without Scripture.  All else is personal opinion.  That does not count with God.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

Was the question about their faith and not their actions and not their faith. That would be your choice in answering. So for you I would suggest that you can for yourself judge. But not for God.

5. dianetrotter profile image61

Faith should be lived out.  When Christians see others off the path, they should lovingly correct them.  If the person doesn't listen, go with 2 or 3.

6. Ericdierker profile image45

Diane I completely agree on scripture be the lead here. But that begs the question of whose interpretation - especially when judging another whether just for you or also for others. One thinks stewardship is this and the other that.

7. dianetrotter profile image61

God is the judge.  Those who don't know the book are not qualified to make the evaluation because they don't know the requirements.  Those that do should hold each other accountable.  I can't evaluate your MRI because I'm not qualified.

8. Kiss andTales profile image61

Diane you speak truth when you say God is the judge .but you take away his posistion as judge to say anyone that does not know the bible is not worthy.
      Only the Heavenly Father would know know who is accurately doing that.

13. joyce kariuki profile image49
    joyce kariukiposted 7 years ago

Being a Christian is not like being black, white or asian where other people can clearly see what race you belong to. Being christian is all about what's in your heart. Only God sees the heart and as long as you believe in him and his son Jesus, follow his word and teachings, that automatically makes you a christian.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61

Joyce you telling the truth , but look at the world now who claim their christain. Its not a pretty picture. People kill in the name , Jesus did not,
      People hate in the name Jesus did not
      Decieve in the name Jesus did not .
      Works validate truth.

2. Ericdierker profile image45

Joyce I really like this answer. But it reminds me of the man who cannot read or even afford a book. I think their is a natural place for him, if he knows and loves Jesus, even without knowing all of his teachings. What do you think?

3. Kiss andTales profile image61

Eli I mean to live in existence is the highest treasure of all in life.
      With out it we could not do the things we enjoy. Or experience knowledge.
      We are rare to be born.
      The treasure that can be stolen is to lose sight to live forever in paradise

14. Brinafr3sh profile image79
    Brinafr3shposted 7 years ago

A real Christian, walks the walk. Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. Matthew 7:15-20

I imagine you know what that walk is. That kind of is implied in the question. Are you able to judge another man's walk?

15. The0NatureBoy profile image56
    The0NatureBoyposted 7 years ago

I say the answer is yes.

Romans 1:20 reads in part "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made" and John 3:8 says "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: therefore, there is something in every one that is born of the Spirit" to cause one to recognize anyone "in the likeness of the Christ" as the title means.

The thing made in the self-reproducing environment to represent Christian's rebirth is the metamorphosis. By using the tadpole turning into a frog's metamorphosis we see the following. The frog lays its eggs in the water which hatch into tadpoles, they live until an ingrained clock cause their tails to begin shorting and knobs to grow that once completed they can not breath water so they begin to live on land. 

Christians have to go through the reverse metamorphosis of the Adan and Eve metaphor {see https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … -and-Evil} and they can no longer live the standards of the world.  That is why John 3:8 say they will become "nomads" who enters a place share their understanding then leave without the people knowing from where they came nor where they went.

We know the Christ, even after his return to Israel, said he had "no place to lay his head" which it would be with nomads, therefore, yes, For anyone who understands the reading of the Bible there is the means of determining if they are indeed following in the likeness of the one called Christ.

16. Mark Throckmorton profile image61
    Mark Throckmortonposted 7 years ago

There are over 30,000 sects of Christianity registered in the United States.  So clearly, people that are devout Christians cannot decide what a Christian means and that varies within sects from church to church and region to region.

Since all religion is subjective, the short answer is no, because it is a personal experience based upon feelings, tastes and opinion.

1. dianetrotter profile image61

That's why the Bible is critical.  Many "sects" are considered cults.  Your answer is a non-Christian answer.  I don't mean it in a bad way.  It is difficult, if not impossible, to critique what you don't know.  Bible is authority of Christians.

2. Mark Throckmorton profile image61
      Mark Throckmortonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That just a matter of semantics Ms. Trotter. Sect: a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination. You could substitute denomination for sect if you are more comfortable with it.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dianetrotter, Cult is the base of cultivate. Cultivating prohibits some plants from growing while allowing the desired to grow uninhibited. Civilization and all of its parts are cultures and, thereby, cults. Did you cultivate your children, if any?

This is the darned Yoga debate. This notion that creeps into Christian lives that suggests some intellectual pursuits are bad. It is dark ages stuff.  Read what is written by the authors and see if it has helpful qualities. Sistine Chapel OK? Newton?

5. dianetrotter profile image61

Mark, I agree people use words they choose.  It doesn't matter what you call Christians.  The BIble is the authority.  It doesn't help to discuss Biblical points because you don't believe it.  It is by grace, through faith, that believers are saved.

6. Ericdierker profile image45

Mark and Diane - this to me, (I know I need a life) is exciting. But we must always counsel to be weary of trading convictions for semantics. We know what Joe means by cults. Charismatic rather than spiritual, is yuckie.

7. dianetrotter profile image61

I didn't know charismatics were considered a cult.  Those who do not believe in the virgin birth, death and resurrection of Jesus and say they are Christians are a cult.  Cults do not believe the Bible.

8. Ericdierker profile image45

Oh for sure Diane. To me a cult would be a group that followed a leader and not Christ and the Bible. Pastor says "jump" all jump. Very developing/illiterate country style. Used to be all masses in Latin. Go Luther.

9. dianetrotter profile image61

Eric-True! 
      Elijah, You isolated 1 usage.  http://www.morewords.com/contains/cult/  Cult like Jim Jones signs:  exclusive, secretive, authoritarian

10. The0NatureBoy profile image56

GDNT, Adam & Eve began the cult of civilization by implementing "good you do, evil you don't" allowing some attributes in man to grow uninhibited while others are prevented from growing means when one say Do & Don't to others it's cultivating

11. dianetrotter profile image61

Nature, God gave them boundaries for their benefit.  Good parents do that.  He told them to NOT eat of the tree.  Eve's curiosity and desire for knowledge led her to eat from the tree.  She ate/Adam too.  The 1st sin was punished.  Running out of spa

12. The0NatureBoy profile image56

GDNT, they weren't given boundaries, eating the knowledge of good and evil (see https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … d-and-Evil) put boundaries upon them so they were not able to comprehend all things.

17. AlanDoughtyXIII profile image63
    AlanDoughtyXIIIposted 7 years ago

I would say that the real problem is the importance placed on the label CHRISTIAN. That said, I have very little, if any, trust for people who title themselves CHRISTIANS. Indeed, I will listen to the story of a saint and wonder about the things nobody ever discovered about them. A person appears to be a paragon, and I suspect that there are less model tendencies lurking just beneath the surface.

Anton LaVey observed in his carnival days how (mostly) male patrons of the girly shows on Saturday night would bring their wives and children to the revival tent Sunday morning and make a show of piety and repentance. Instead of deploring the hypocrisy of it, LaVey pondered the reason for the hypocrisy, concluding that no matter how much faith the individual puts in the Christian ideal of prioritizing spiritual ideals over the needs and wants of the flesh, no matter how much one prays and disciplines oneself, a man (or woman) is still a being of flesh, and the flesh is going to out. In short, the idealism of Christianity makes hypocrisy inevitable.

The moral idealism of Christianity tends to discourage awareness and perspective. Either you are white light, or else you are pure, totally depraved evil. In such a dualist philosophy, balance with integrity is impossible.

Now, back to your question, why should it matter so much whether or not you are a Christian? That importance placed on the label and group membership is the reason I refuse to affiliate with it.

1. Kiss andTales profile image61

Alan I understand you very well.
      But I must admit a treasure can be stolen because people may focus and listen to the people who are trying to still it from you. Instead of focusing on why they are a stublung block.
      Focus on what is the treasure.

Alan your cover much quickly. Good. The starting champion NFL QB is not a hypocrite for missing a pass. Please do not dismiss this. Failure does not make hypocrite - especially 3 a week. You just used bad syntax - does not make you hypocritical.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image56

ADXIII, Well said! One should allow others to describe them as Acts 11:26 did the disciples. I call me "a philosophy" meaning "lover of wisdom" and allow others to call me what they will.
      K&T, If one can't explain what they steal they are found

4. Kiss andTales profile image61

ELi Thank you for that answer. But if some one stesls a precious treasure from you
      no you no longer poses it.
      Especially if you did not guard it value.
      I am sure people dont lay diamonds , $100 dollar bills publicly visable for stealing.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image56

K&T,
      Wisdom is a treasure the wise desire exposed, our only treasure we want shared, so without experience enough to explain it a sharers is revealed as a "philosopher" or "sharer of wisdom they do not understand" and thief.

6. Misfit Chick profile image76

Your reasons R the same a lot of peeps look down on Chrisitans, Alan. C's have done a LOT to harm their own reputation from many angles: credibility of their holy book, forcing erroneous beliefs onto others thru laws & redefining hypocrisy, etc.

18. Happylovejoy profile image91
    Happylovejoyposted 7 years ago

I think it's between the individual and God..and not for others to put judgement or decide on it..there are just too many different types of Christians just as there are many different kinds of human personalities and thinking (which is influenced by upbringing and the environment).

At the end of the day, I feel it is just a label. Some who are openly Christians may be very prejudice to other race or religion, or are very kind and selfless. Some non Christians can also be very selfless, guided by other religion or none at all. The most important thing to focus on is how we live our lives, how we treat ourselves and others, and just be faithful to our principles and beliefs.

Thank you, that is a very good "should" answer. What do you think about "could"?

19. Rishabh Baluni profile image54
    Rishabh Baluniposted 7 years ago

According to your question It's easy to say that nobody is at that position to decide for anyone.
    As we all know that God created all of us with different religions, our body parts are same but the difference is about the thinking level of the person.
    As God make us same as others to understand it that we all are same.
    As an Example:- If we notice about the birds or animals. They can roam here ND there, birds can sit into the church as well as temple. There is not any difference in them.
    So, no one can decide whether a person is a cristian or any other religion.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56

Man [mind able to comprehend all things] in the likeness of god, once we overcome judging and become led of god are revealed differences judging man are unable to recognize, thus, reborn man should be able to determine when another is reborn.

We R 'the likeness' of God but unique & diverse bcuz God LOVES diversity. We will never all think alike cuz if we did, WE would have all the power instead of God. And that would probably be a bad thing, LoL! Its the reason for Tower of Babel

20. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

Another person can decide what they like about anything.  Often as not, the decision on how to decide (about anything) has long ago been decided on and they are automatically reacting from their mental and emotional conditioning.   We do it all the time.

As far as your question goes, the 'interpretation' of what a Christian is, or is not, is as wide as: He was born into a family who are purportedly Christians, (as roughly a third of the world's population are) to he's, or she is very religious and practices the teachings of Jesus Christ, as closely as he or she can.   Everything from a 'bible banger,' as the derogatory phrase goes, to a person who might have been baptised as a Christian at two year of age, and has never been to a church since.

We cannot really determine what another person thinks and feels about anything with great accuracy.    A person might be a 'paragon of virtue' and an example to us all on how to 'love thy neighbour as thyself,' and has never been interested in any particular religion at all.   

So the answer to your question is, "Yes, anyone can decide whether or not they think another person is a 'Christian,' but it might bear little or no (or a lot) to how that person sees his or her self.   An opinion is just an opinion...nothing more than a network of neural pathways in a brain.

1. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Tom,
      A girl at Open Mic said my poetry was hallucinatory, crazy, disturbing ... the Compere intervened and said I was probably one of the sanest guys he knew.

I commend you, as you're probably one of the sanest I know here. Loving thoughts.

Very nice answer. I wonder what it is that really bothers me about "nothing more than a network of neural pathways in a brain." Probably because I think there is more to a soul. Yes indeed we can all judge/decide if we choose to.

3. shanmarie profile image69
      shanmarieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Still, an opinion isn't absolute and an opinion may not be someone else's truth of self. We can decide what we think of someone else and that is all. Doesn't matter if it is someone's religion or general moral aptitude. By society's standard or ours.

Yes Shanmarie, it does seem to boil down to that notion of "I can decide for me if you are Christian, but I cannot decide for you or even for another". And that is cool. Another question.

21. profile image50
    BreAnna0207posted 7 years ago

I believe that another person can not decide someone else's religion  they can only decide their own. but they can influence someone to choose a certain religion over another on by talking up their religion. truthly it comes down to the person that is choosing a religion. that everyone has their own opinions and not everyone has the same religion so they can't wake up one day and be like oh this is your new religion to someone.

That is a very interesting viewpoint for this question. Thank you

That is an interesting point... How many people have converted from one religion into another (not just Christianity), and sometimes more than once? Are they easily manipulated or are they spiritual explorers?

22. Dasia Toston profile image46
    Dasia Tostonposted 7 years ago

No one person can say a person is not a Christian. If person A looks at themselves as a Christian and truly identify as a Christian. For person B to them they are not would simply be pointless and useless.

Dasia do you ever look at a new acquaintance and judge if they are "safe" or too scary strange?

2. The0NatureBoy profile image56

DT, Acts 11:19-26 suggests Christian means "In Christ's Likeness" reading how christ lived says they Are or Not living as a wondering nomad, alone, forsook all the world offered and none judgmental, if we aren't like that we're not Christ's like.

3. Dasia Toston profile image46
      Dasia Tostonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No I do not. In my opinion the way a person looks does not always say if I should be afraid of them or not. They way they carry themselves respond to situations tells you if they are someone you should watch out for while around them.

23. sydneyavery profile image59
    sydneyaveryposted 7 years ago

No Christianity is something that you have to accept yourself. Someone may analyze your behavior and dictate whether you are or aren't, but only you can truly say.

Definitely a personal choice Sydney. I think we all accept that.

What New Birth demands us to do will reveal although ew who are not will not knows what it means, Jn. 3:8, Mat. 19:29 & 28:18-20 are examples of how to tell us.

24. Mark A Heading profile image59
    Mark A Headingposted 7 years ago

You are bordering on Judgement. Mat_7:1  “Judge not, that you be not judged. We are not to judge, we don't know who is going to make to heaven! For all we know, the most vile murderer could make it if they believe and accept Jesus Christ as their personal saviour. God is the only one who can read the hearts and minds of people. The devil can not do this interestingly enough. He is a master manipulator and he knows where to attack you.

Only God can make that call. It doesn't matter what you look like on the outside, it is what is in your heart that matters.

Even with a husband and wife. If the husband believes, and the wife doesn't, the husband can not save his wife. I would hate for that happen, but it is up to each individual to make that choice.

1. Gyanendra Mocktan profile image82
      Gyanendra Mocktanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, God is the ultimate answer. \We  need to surrender to Him. Why judge our fellow beings?

Interesting. You come at it from the anti-judgment point of view. Do you think deciding for your self and judgement are the same?

3. Mark A Heading profile image59
      Mark A Headingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When you decide for yourself, you are making a judgement call. Call it deciding for yourself if you will, but in Gods view, you are judging that person.

You do realize you just judged me for deciding for myself if my friend is Christian. And at the same time saying it is wrong to judge. Yet declaring only God can judge?

5. The0NatureBoy profile image56

MAH, Lk 17:21 is 1 of many places saying god is in us and by the New Birth do we realize it, not before. Reborn man with testimony of conception, gestation, trivial, birth and amount of growth has discerning ability to determine who is and isn't.

6. Misfit Chick profile image76

The 'new birth' as U keep describing it is not how it has been interpreted by U & so many people - it is simply talking about FINALLY becoming aware & REALIZING that we R perfect exactly the way we are - how God made & intended & JUST

7. The0NatureBoy profile image56

I have gone the metamorphosis, see my profile, reversing the 1 the Adam & Eve story represents (see https://hubpages.com/religion-philosoph … ter-Twelve). Romans 1:20 say it follows the natural birth and recognized as a metamorphosi

8. Ericdierker profile image45

Catherine I kind of go with that. Assume a baby dying is just horrible to us. Well who gave us the right to assume that. For sure it seems horrible to us -- but???

25. LeahMartin profile image60
    LeahMartinposted 7 years ago

No. Christianity is a religion where the relationship is only between you and god. Therefore people can not label you a Christian or not a christan, they only see what they see not what they know.

Leah, this is a little too much - turn a blind eye approach. No one mentioned label but you. We are talking about "for you". Do you follow people who are not Christian? No. How do you know.

By Acts 11:19-26 Christian isn't religion [belief in god] but the way Christ lived, wandering from place to place spreading his way and understanding of life. His commands were follow him after the "new birth" as Christianity's church preaches.

26. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 7 years ago

YES- There are 2scriptures that define this and other scriptures bear witness.
    "you will know then by their fruit"    and 'test all things (against scripture) to see if they be of God.

Hi Charlie it is good to hear from you. I hope you continue to be blessed and bless others.
      I do not think there is much doubt here. We really do know based on our Spirit guided discernment, at least for ourselves.

Thanks, Charlie, I was saying everything except those 2 scriptures in my attempt to bring them to our understanding.

27. bluesradio profile image58
    bluesradioposted 7 years ago

I would think that this is kinda of like that old saying about glass houses and rocks......In other words, most of us, Christian or not, have done some good and some bad, and I believe the final word as to who has truly lead a  Christian life would be left up to the Man Above......

But would you not love me enough to tell me if I was astray?

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

scripture says "we will knoe tem by their fruit"

Charlie - who will know who by their fruit? I, you? You garner little fruit here and seem to antagonize. So you bear no fruit here, so are you Christian?

28. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

The duly elected Jury foreman has called for and received the response to the first ballot call. The jury is split right down the middle.
    Half believe that one can judge for themselves about another's Christianity.
    The other half hide behind a fully unrealistic notion that we do not and cannot make decisions about others for ourselves.

It is becoming obvious that those who espouse "no judgment" are living in a fantasy placating sheeple world of preacher endowed loveliness.

Of course we judge. Of course we make decisions. And if you are walking down the dark alley of life your had better make it about others. Nobody gets a free pass. Judge or die, like it or not. Oh, "thou shall not judge" sounds so holy and is so full of garbage.
    It all seems so good until you decide if you will let your 4 year old sit next to someone on the bus.
    The saddest thing we have seen here is the lack of factual honesty. "oh I would never decide but I will not go to that church"

Did this question draw out hypocrisy? It smacked me in the face with my own.

29. Shelley H Cruz profile image80
    Shelley H Cruzposted 7 years ago

No   How can we declare if another person is a Christian?

1. The0NatureBoy profile image56

By understanding Acts 11:19-26 defines Christian as "Like Christ" who had forsaken everything the world had to offer Mat. 19:29 and many other of his teachings unless he instructed us to do what he had not done.

Nice Elijah but my understanding of Mat. 19:29 is different than yours.

30. profile image0
    JohnPLyonsposted 7 years ago

I am really enjoying your questions!

Simple answer (for me): No

But...I was brought up Roman Catholic, even went to train to be a priest many years ago...thus I'm confident talking God and Church.

However, when I found myself working in the intellectual halls of Oxford, UK alongside winners of Nobel prizes and other intellectual giants, I was astounded to be labelled a "Blasphemer!" by members of a student Christian Union...purely because I was Catholic. In their eyes I worshipped statues and bowed before the Vicar of Rome.

Over many months and many, many difficult conversations where I showed my Bible knowledge was a great as theirs, as was my knowledge of biblical history, they actually grew to like me. They said "I called myself a Catholic but I wasn't one really!" (as if they would really know!!)

The layers of judgemental ignorance that had been pressed into them by their spiritual mentors was both damming and somewhat amazing for such evidently intellectual people.

Thirty years later and some of the people from this time could now be top Judges, Civil Rights Lawyers and Members of Parliament responsible for forming the structure of our society. I tend to wonder how their rigid ideas of right and wrong in Christian stance have been knocked or shaped by their lives and the life of the greater world around them in the intervening times.

Back to your question: Can a person know if another is a Christian?...NO

But...do people "judge" if a person is a Christian or not?....(sadly) YES

This crossover with Catholicism is really interesting. So much is just accepted by Protestants that is Catholic and not scripture. In fact, for sure what books are in the Bible.Thanks for you very cool comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)