Husband's Lung Cancer

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. moonlake profile image83
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

Just a update on my husband’s lung cancer. They say the mass is getting smaller. We go every day for radiation treatment. It’s an hour and half drive by the time we get home  and I pick up more prescriptions, make dinner, take care of the pets, throw in loads of wash  I’m exhausted. Hubby  is also exhausted and ready to take a nap. We will be doing this for another 3 weeks. If you only knew how much I hate driving. My husband has always been the driver but most days he can’t do that now. He’s been very sick this week with fever, chills, confusion and dizziness.  I miss everyone on here and try to get on when I can but it’s not often. Most times I only get a chance to approve comments but not enough time to comment back. Well, getting ready to head out this morning, to make matters worse it’s snowing. We have had to deal with this cancer in the most miserable weather we’ve ever had. I probably shouldn’t put this on the forums but I figured it’s the best place for everyone to see what is going on.  Everyone have a great day.

1. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Such great news that your husband's tumor is getting smaller, moonlake!  Keep fighting the good fight!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 Congratulations!

2. AliciaC profile image92
      AliciaCposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know about this situation, moonlake. I'm sorry about what you and your husband are going through, but I'm very glad that the tumor is getting smaller. I hope the great news continues. Stay strong! I'll be thinking of you.

3. FlourishAnyway profile image94
      FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So sorry about your husband's illness and the stresses of care taking.  Please know that you are both in my thoughts for brighter days ahead.

4. Mary McShane profile image79
      Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So glad to hear his tumor is responding to treatment. As a caregiver you really need to take care of yourself too, so please get rest whenever and wherever you can grab it. Ask someone to come in for an hour or two, even if you just lay down and put on some music. Treatment can be as hard physically on the family as it is on the patient, just in a different way  -patient is enduring side effects, caregiver is enduring fatigue and stress. Don't worry about this forum being the right place to post or not. If you had put it on a hub or somewhere else, only your followers may have seen it.

Your post went to my email notifications (to all hubbers who have them email enabled) and although I wasn't following you and would not have seen a post anywhere else, because it went to my email notifications, this truly was the best place to post - for those who follow you and those who don't. Take care and  I'm now following you to keep up with your news.

5. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So glad your husband is recovering, moonlake, and I'm sure much of it is due to your devoted caregiving. I hope things get easier soon and will look forward to seeing you back on HP.

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry this is going on. I am happy to hear that radiation is working though.

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
      schoolgirlforrealposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I appreciate the update ....honestly I would be happier taking care of a sick husband than having no husband at all...that is to say...I "abandoned my ex" when he was sick but that was because he was abusive to me and it was a way out for me. Needless to say, It's lonely this winter being stuck in on snowy days and I'd do anything- except sell my soul- to have a good man 's company in my warm apt. and good men are very rare to find. that's my two cents. oh and btw happy v day...also I guess I''m going to visit my 80yr old Sybil-like mohter just to have a change of pace and maybe it will be fun, since I can willingly take her places and have a good attitude about it.

8. Shyron E Shenko profile image68
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We miss you when you are not here, but all of us know that you need to do what is necessary.  I wish your husband all the best. And we will see you when you get back.
      Shyron

2. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Drive safely, moonlake.smile  See you back here whenever you are ready. Best wishes to your husband.

1. liesl5858 profile image85
      liesl5858posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Am sorry to hear about your husband's cancer, just keep being positive and hope your hubby get well soon.

3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 10 years ago

Hi Moonlake.
    Sorry to hear about your husbands cancer problem. There's not a lot people can say, just to wish you both well.
    The thing is when someone is ill, they get all the best of good health wishes. I did when I was a 50/50 live or die case, but it's the other partner that should be getting the good health wishes. They are the one's that have all the worry, the running around, the driving (even when you hate it), the lack of sleep and all the rest it. So I say to you my friend, you take care of yourself, because the doctors will take care of your man.
    Ghaelach

4. Blond Logic profile image93
    Blond Logicposted 10 years ago

Sending positive thoughts and wishes for both you and your husband.

1. ologsinquito profile image81
      ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I'll say some prayers for both of you.

5. merej99 profile image73
    merej99posted 10 years ago

Moonlake - I wish you and your husband the very best.  Make sure you take a moment to take care of yourself before you get sick too!  Trust me, I've been there and you're no good to anyone if you lose it because you're too tired, too hungry and too overwhelmed.  If you are part of a church or some kind of social group, ASK for help.  I have found that people generally want to help - but they don't want to impose either.  A friend will help you clean the house, pet sit, drop off a meal, or do some shopping for you.  Sending up prayers and positive thoughts.

6. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 10 years ago

Moonlake - I'm so sorry to learn of your husband's cancer, but glad radiation is shrinking the tumor. I hope it will be soon be completely eradicated.  In the interim, do take care of yourself too and, as someone else said, be not only willing to accept help from caring neighbors, friends and family, but ask for it if they don't spontaneously offer. They may not realize all that the two of you are going through at this time, especially having to drive so much in snowy conditions.

Battling a disease such as cancer is a team effort, and you're a partner with your husband in getting rid of it. He is fortunate to have you in his corner.  Bless you both.

Jaye

7. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 10 years ago

If at all possible cherish the moments you can have together during difficult and busy times.

8. cecileportilla profile image70
    cecileportillaposted 10 years ago

So sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I will keep you in my prayers.

9. amiebutchko profile image71
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

Moonlake, I haven't been on here very long, but I just wanted to offer you my moral support.  I am sorry you are dealing with this very hard thing.  I hope you and your husband are looking back on this very soon as part of your past.  Hang in, take care of yourself, and know people are praying for you.  I am one.

10. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

You are both in our prayers.  Such a difficult time for both of you, but know we are all here for you and praying for health and strength.  Topmost in my prayers is that this will soon become a memory for both of you.

11. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Moonlake, I don't often click on my email from hubpages saying someone just posted a new forum thread, but I opened yours, and I'm glad I did.

After a grueling series of treatment for stage 4 thyroid cancer and some spots on the lung, my dear friend of 40 years, just went for the post treatment CAT scan to see the progress yesterday.  Here is her son's report of the progress in a newsletter he sent out (He's a bio-chemist):

"Georgiann's therapy was an overwhelming success and tumors have all but disappeared. The adjuvent treatment has taken the very large tumor and shrunk it dramatically to the point where it is not even obvious on the scans where it is. And the mass that is remaining shows all the beautiful hallmarks of being dead - calcification zones intermixed with lower density tissue. Even more astounding is that the shotgun spray of tumor cells in her lungs have all disappeared except for two small ones. This is astounding because a) we were only hoping that the tumors would not grow or maybe shrink a little in her lungs but never hoped to dream they would disappear!, and b) the radiation was not aimed at the majority of her lungs so the effect is from the chemotherapy alone."

In an earlier newsletter Georgie's son Georgie's son repeated a quote you might relate to:
    "Cancer is fought from the car!"

I hadn't known Georgie was going through treatment because the first newsletter from her son was sent back in Dec. to an old email address.  So when I received that email finally and called her, she had just undergone radiation after the chemotherapy.  The radiation effects made eating difficult, but she forged onward. (That was last week before the news above).

But Georgie's not the only story I have smile While I was  processing Georgiann's struggle, (and friends do go through their own processing and reactions),  I reached out to ANOTHER male friend here at the RV park where we stay.  I knew he had had throat cancer, but I didn't know until last week that he had been diagnosed in 1998!!!  So his throat cancer is gone.  He told me that they can see an unrelated spot on his lungs, but it's dormant and they're just not worried about it!

The new treatments appear to be dynamic in that they hit these cells that don't follow regular "instructions" on all possible fronts. The partner of spouses undergoing treatment don't often realize how much friends, family, and acquaintances admire THEIR strength, fortitude, and heroism. But we do! 

If you would like, I can forward the newsletters from my friend's son. This last one, of course, had images of champagne glasses and confetti. 
    Here's to confetti and champagne in your future!

Warm wishes

Billie

12. luvtoowrite profile image41
    luvtoowriteposted 10 years ago

I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this. I went through the same a few years back. You are in my thoughts, and I wish the best for the both of you.

13. moonlake profile image83

Thanks everyone for comments and prayers. We had a snow storm on Thursday and Friday both days terrible roads and one person killed on road outside our town. Hubby starts chemo again on Monday along with radiation and it looks like another snow storm for Monday.

14. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

More thoughts and prayers for a safe trip there and back.

15. moonlake profile image83

I've been able to pop on HP here and there when we're home or when I get on our daughter's computer. We're home now for about two weeks.
    There have been lots of ups and downs, in and out of the hospital for him. He has finished his radiation. He has had problems getting his chemo treatments done but he seems to be on track now.
    He has been feeling pretty good this week. We're hoping he stays this way so he can have his treatments. He gets very depressed when he can't have the treatments.
    If this snow and bad weather would just go away so he could get outside a little.
    Thanks again for thoughts and prayers.

1. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So glad that he seems to be on track now.  Thanks for the update, especially considering how taxed you are right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)