RESOLVED: Stats are not accurate and are being addressed

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

Stats have updated three times today.  The one day, seven day and 30 day totals have changed but the 'Page Views Ever' have remained the same with each update.  The last time this happened (in October) I lost 15,000 views in the 'Page Views Ever' total.  What's happening now with this?

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know but my views declined by half overnight!

1. Lady Lorelei profile image85
        Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Some of mine have also dropped by over half which gave my heart a bit of a flip flop first thing this morning. Glad to hear that I am not the only one having this issue (sorry I guess misery just loves company).

Brie did your hubber ranking recently do a dip under the 85? I am wondering if this might be a factor.

2. Maffew James profile image94
      Maffew Jamesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you look at what is happening every time it updates, the rolling total is decreasing towards 0 (Like the similar glitch a while back). As it's a rolling view of stats over 24 hours, when no views are being reported, it would take 24 hours before it actually shows 0 views to reflect this, and this would explain why the total isn't increasing.

The other stats roll too, so this would explain why they are changing. As no views continue to be reported over time, the seven day and 30 day totals should decrease to reflect this, but 'all time' views don't roll over a period of time. No views being reported would result in this stat remaining the same. Or at least, this is what I suspect is happening.

In any case for those concerned, traffic is exactly as it should be for me in Google Analytics. The HubPages stats are incorrect. Look at Analytics for accurate stats until this is fixed.

1. ChristinS profile image39
        ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  According to analytics my traffic is just fine, but the stats here show it tanked.  It's apparently just a glitch of some sort.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just checked GA and my numbers there are just fine, so this obviously is some sort of computer glitch on HP's part.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
          Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Another glitch ... I believe there are a couple of glitches going on at the same time?

2. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nope, that's not what's happening.  In October, the problem was that the 'Total Views Ever' DECREASED with each update.  Now, the 'Total Views Ever' just remains the same.  It's impossible that I have had zero views with the past three updates!  I've even visited some of my Hubs during this time. 

What seriously concerns me, of course, is ad impressions.  With the October problem, I was assured that the 'Total Views Ever' mistakes didn't affect ad impressions, but my 'Total Views Ever' Stats were NEVER corrected.  It makes it difficult to trust a platform which has problems with simple mathematical computations.

1. Maffew James profile image94
          Maffew Jamesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not saying you've had no views. It's the HubPages stats that are acting as if no views have occurred. They're not reporting views for some reason, so the rolling stats will decrease with updates whilst no views are recorded in that period. The total views statistic stays the same because views aren't being recorded.

No idea as to what happened with the decreasing total views however. Many people saw negative numbers in their rolling stats during this period, and this could have been the cause of the decrease in total views. I didn't look at it closely during the last big glitch, so I don't know if my total decreased. This kind of thing would probably directly affect pageview accolades, unless HubPages uses separate statistics for this.

Ad impressions are reported by AdSense; not HubPages. HubPages merely passes the information through to us for our share of impressions.

Traffic stats have also been stated to be calculated by a third party, and HubPages passes this information through to us. Any mistakes made don't necessarily reflect incompetence of HubPages itself.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

Glad you started this thread.  I almost had a heart attack when I checked my stats page a few minutes ago.  I don't think this has anything to do with the latest Google Update because all of my hubs are mobile ready.  I hope they fix this problem soon, it is very upsetting to see a more than 50% drop like this!

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened here. I am relieved to see it is a glitch.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The Engineering Team is aware that the stats are wonky, and they're working on it right now. smile

As it looks like a number of you have already done, you can check Google Analytics to see that things are running along normally. Our stats should be updated to reflect the correct numbers soon.

Good morning California!  Thanks for the post.

5. Kevar Telfer profile image43
      Kevar Telferposted 8 years agoin reply to this

may god help us

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

My numbers have risen since this morning but still are nowhere near where they should be...yet, earnings have been stated for today.

Is this now fixed or are they still working on it?

1. Solaras profile image93
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Daily stats are normal now, but I think  pageviews "ever" lost a day or two of numbers that never posted to our accounts.

Of course it's hard to tell exactly, but my 'Total Page Views Ever' look about right just now.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

I just checked again and now my daily view count is about right as is my total ever count.  This has sure been a weird day.

What I don't understand is how the team could give us payment numbers when the view numbers were incorrect.  Perhaps they will update that also...I hope so, because mine were about 150 less than they should have been when the payments showed up.

2. Good Guy profile image82
    Good Guyposted 8 years ago

Yes, something is not right at this moment.  My pageviews nosedived suddenly.

3. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 8 years ago

Perhaps it has something to do with the latest Google update on 21st April?

Total 'Page Views Ever' should increase with each Stats update, not remain the same which is what is happening now.

4. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 8 years ago

I am seeing that too! Glad I am not the only one. Thanks, Writer Fox for the confo.

5. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 8 years ago

My stats dropped by half. If there was a Google update I'm sure that has something to do with it. Not worried. The updates always cause my stats to drop dramatically, but as things sort themselves out it actually causes my traffic to improve.

6. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 8 years ago

I have noticed that too in my stats. Something is not right here. I hope it will get better.

7. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Same here. I was shocked to just discover views down by 50% overnight! I've never before this seen 16 blue arrows at one time which indicated to me that something is weird. Glad to see it confirmed with others. Hope it fixes soon. I hope it's not related to the new Google search algo. (Yikes!)

1. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Getting back to normal now, blue arrows decreased, only six left and views up by about 50%.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Writer Fox,
    Ask the staff.

9. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

All is well, it's just the HP stats that are wrong. Mine show a huge drop today too. But I always trust Google Analytics instead. I checked my GA report and my traffic actually went up in the past 24 hours. Proof that GA has the correct figure is that my earnings also went up in the past day.  That would not have happened if the HP stats were correct.

Unfortunately, Google Analytics doesn't make the payments for the HP Ad Program which, by the way, doesn't show a payment update for today.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hm, you are right. I do not see a payment update for the 28th (for today).

HP needs a better server?

I noticed that yesterday, too, colorfulone and WriterFox. I just assumed that's how it works since I don't check it after payment very often.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why should that matter. We did all get paid yesterday even if it doesn't show in the payments. It's already in my PayPal account as of yesterday.

EDIT: Actually I just checked my Balance History report and yesterday's payment does show up.

We are talking about the earnings report which has not been updated for the 28th.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

There are many times when the earnings report doesn't show the prior day. I usually notice it appear after 24 hours. But I don't keep that close an eye on it. It's fine with me if the earnings shows up two days later.

It's those days when they get stuck for many days that bothers me. But nevertheless, we need to give credit to HP for honesty.

I am sure you'll agree that these things always correct themselves on HP. We can't say that for some other sites that turn around and claim they didn't receive the ad revenues and therefore won't pay the writers after already agreeing to pay a certain amount. I think you know who I am referring to.

The problems with 'Page Views Ever' were NOT corrected last October and those page views were lost forever.  Because of that, I'm not convinced that my ad payments were accurate for last October, either.  In my case, it took over 10 days of complaining on the forum and in emails to HP before my page views stopped decreasing everyday.  So, yes, I'm concerned when something like this starts to happen again.  If you are used to seeing no increase in your total views ever stats, then I guess you don't have a reason to be concerned.

10. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

All my stats have begun to increase again - 1 day, 7 days, 30 days, and Ever.  I think we are OK.

11. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

Stats just updated again and my 'total views ever' now shows 1,000 more views, which is way too low (for me) since yesterday.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine have just gone back one view on the daily views. I know because I took two screen shots within a few minutes of each other.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My daily dropped 100 and began to rise again right away. I still think it is a glitch and engineers are laboring over it. I think the HP database is probably huge and sometimes a headache.

3. Glenn Stok profile image96

How does that compare to your GA views for the same period?

12. sparkster profile image85
    sparksterposted 8 years ago

I agree that it's just a glitch, as someone mentioned above there was a similar glitch not so long ago and stats went down to zero. I haven't seem my stats this low since that glitch happened. There was no problem with stats updating later and receiving payment though, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

13. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 8 years ago

LOL...checked AdSense and saw this....

"We're sorry, some data in this report is delayed, please try again later. There's no impact to ad serving or payments.

Maybe it's just going around.....

14. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/ktz3x.jpg

15. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Mine dropped as well.  In other news, my Hubber Score went up a notch.

Maybe now we know the secret to increasing our scores?

16. paradigm search profile image53
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

All appeared well for the last 3 days, but I see the 1-day stats are once again falling towards zero. This is a separate stats issue, not the dropping views issue we are ranting about in the other threads. big_smile

edit: this is happening on my other account, http://paradigmsearch.hubpages.com/ .

Yuppers, I went to look at stats and you must be spot on.

1. paradigm search profile image53
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What Google doesn't take away, the stats do. lol

Had to laugh with you on that one.
          Keep the sense of humor.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, stats are whacky again.  Seems like an every weekend issue?

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Crikey! I was just about ready to quit looking at my stats as it's leading to a foul mood. Maybe it's time for me to take a HP vacation.

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy I read about the issue before I looked at my stats. I would have first been depressed and then thinking about moving everything.

17. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Was "Known Issue" put up today? Stats are abnormally super low. I have 16 blue arrows which indicates a sudden drop. This happened last week and it was a glitch. I wish staff would post something, an update?

Edit: update to this thread, not the stats.

18. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 8 years ago

Holy Toledo!  I haven’t seen 1 day stats so low since my account was a toddler.  yikes

I know, crazy isn't it?

1. Lady Lorelei profile image85
        Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eeeek! Please someone say that traffic stats are not being accurately tracked.

19. alexadry profile image94
    alexadryposted 8 years ago

Scary! I have never seen so many blue arrows in all my years here at Hubpages.

20. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

My reported impressions for the last four day's are low, identical, marked as pending and roughly a third of what Google Analytics reports. It's no big deal. HubPages will sort it. As the old codger in Dad's Army would scurry around and shout... "DON'T PANIC!!! DON'T PANIC!!! DON'T PANIC!!!".

Last week I posted that my lowering HP stats did not match GA (which remained high). But now the lower HP stats are correct. They match pretty close with my GA stats, which have been dropping day by day for the last few days. Actually down by almost 50%.

I can't imagine that this is due to the new mobile rankings that Google implemented on April 21st because I had updated many of my hubs for this. But there's nothing else I know that might be having such as major effect.

Glenn, Paul Edmondson posted here: "It looks like Panda..."
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/130358#post2731938

Thanks colorfulone - I had overlooked that one. In addition to Paul's post, paradigm search also posted a link to a good article on what's happening... 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/130358? … ost2732043

I read that, Glenn. I wasn't around when the old Hubbers were having to tighten the ropes and weather storms. From what I have read in the forums some jumped ship, but HubPages is still here.

Yes I know of several that had given up. It's sad, because many good writers didn't wait long enough. HubPages has always been trying to keep up with Google, and teaching us what to do to make Google happy. It's not easy. And now we are in another storm. We just need to ride it out. As Paul Edmondson said, HP is working hard to help us get through this.

We all have to bow to Google for a livelihood online. As I close friend of mine said, "Google is very much in the affiliate marketing business. Their entire business model is based around it. That makes us direct competition for them."

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)