What happens if nothing happens on May 21, 2011?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (155 posts)
  1. odie_driver profile image60
    odie_driverposted 12 years ago

I've heard a lot of speculation about the end of the world upcoming on May 21, 2011 - but.. what if it doesn't happen? What will happen to those people who fervently believe that the end of the world is nigh? Will we see many people jumping off bridges as they struggle with the loss of their religious convictions or.. will nothing happen?

Discuss! big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well some may jump, but for the most part they will move the date forward as they have in the past so many times.

Nutters the lot of them! lol

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

or they'll say god has given more time

2. vellos profile image61
      vellosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What will happen is they will find some new non-rational belief to cling to.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something is supposed to happen this month to end the world?  Wow, I guess I must really be out of touch with the news today. What exactly is supposed to happen?  And where did you hear this from?  I haven't heard anything like that, as the last time I checked that dec 21, 2012 was allegedly the end of the world according to most nuts out there.

odie_driverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are supposed to suffer worldwide earthquakes starting at 6pm (I assume pacific time..) that will demolish the earth. If you run a search on it, its covered in a lot of places - for instance even Time Magazine wrote an entry on the apparent calculations for the event. So.. Those who use the 'two-four' weekend to have a few drinks, have an extra one for me in case the world ends! big_smile

1. profile image0

Aw that sucks, as I was looking forward to seeing a lot of new films set to be released, so now it looks like I won't see them. sad

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Canadian's will not be happy. This weekend is an upcoming long weekend...

All the reason to party harder! big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was only the Rapture that was due to happen then?

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's all? Cool I'll still be here then!

2. odie_driver profile image60

Apparently we're supposed to be hit with worldwide earthquakes then... There is apparently biblical evidence to support and refute this claim.. I am... not surprised to hear that!

3. saideepa profile image60
        saideepaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

some people maybe affected by mass brainwashing, but it is always good to rely on the inner voice of god which is the only truth.

4. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 12 years agoin reply to this

False prophets will be shown their place now.

5. KeithTax profile image73
        KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It will happen; I know it. The world ended yesterday without a doubt. (Maybe I am dead and don't know! Either that or I am in Wisconsin. Noooooooooo!)

You may be in hell or Wisconsin, it can be hard to tell them apart. smile

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
            Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No: Wisconsin regularly freezes over. smile

You may be right, but I heard someone say they would pay for sex when hell freezes over once. smile

4. Peter Owen profile image60
      Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

I thought it was 12/21/2012

Apparently Howard Camping from "Family Radio" - a Christian Religious program has calculated that it will be the end of the world. If you look it up there is a lot of information on how this calculation was made and I've heard that some people are preparing for this day... just curious as to how it will all blow over if nothing actually happens.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

What happens if nothing happens on May 21, 2011? Then, nothing happens, but I don't think that time or reality are going to cease to exist, to life will just move on to the next day. lol

6. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Oh god I'm going to have to pay back that $20.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Oprah ending her show is a sign of the Apocalypse.

1. profile image0

okay...so why would the world end just because she's cancelling her show?

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she's the devil and she's got inside knowledge on the end of the world which is WHY she's cancelling it?

1. profile image0

we need to get oprah then and put an end to her tyranny.  what say you my hub friends?  big_smile

8. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

We have a 30% chance of rain, is that close enough?  smile

9. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 12 years ago

Nope it starts 6am in NZ local time - so you guys will have a few hours warning LMFAO

oh yay! big_smile Thanks! I was curious about that!

1. Alisha Sharma profile image60
          Alisha Sharmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hey!

Nothing happened unpleasant here, instead it was really pleasant climate here, cool breeze was blowing everywhere.

2. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey I am a genius - I have successfully predicted NO rapture in NZ - and NO devastating earthquakes - quick better join the church of Lis! (donations via paypal acceptable)

10. BaliMermaid profile image58
      BaliMermaidposted 12 years ago

I guess many will wake up missing all the money they spend on stupid advertising to proclaim another end of days that won't come. How could it happen on Saturday. it's my birthday!

Happy birthday for Saturday! I predict a lovely day. smile

2. odie_driver profile image60

Happy Early Birthday! I hope Saturday is supper sunny, warm and... complete! big_smile (I suspect it will be fine..)

3. emievil profile image67
        emievilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy birthday BaliMermaid.

And in answer to that question, I guess my trip will push through today, since it's May 21 already here big_smile.

4. Karanda profile image78
        Karandaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy birthday BaliMermaid! Guess what? We're all still here and you get to start a new year. My prediction is all will be well for another birthday in 12 months time. smile

11. cjcarter profile image71
      cjcarterposted 12 years ago

Well, this was a topic discussed on the radio show I listen to on the way to work every morning... AND they began talking about this website: http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/. They say they are a group of athiests who will watch over your beloved pets if you are scooped up...or whatever. I think it's hilarious haha.

1. cjcarter profile image71
        cjcarterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...and, I'll be happy to take any electronics off of your hands if you think you're going anywhere saturday smile

That.. made me laugh until my sides hurt - Thanks! big_smile

12. ForkArtJunkie profile image60
      ForkArtJunkieposted 12 years ago

I forgot all about that! But, they don't believe May 21st will be the end of the world - they think this will be judgment day. They believe only the true believers will rise up to heaven that day, so sadly, they may believe they didn't make the final cut. According to this conspiracy, after May 21st will be 5 months of torment on earth, and the actual end of the world will be October 21st. Truthfully, I do feel badly for them, and somehow, hope they don't get too frightened.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image80

If this happens the religious forum will not be the same...

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It probably will because a good number of them are certain to be left behind.   roll  (Imagine how "certain people" are going to be thinking when they wake up on the 22nd, only to discover they're still here.  lol  )  (I'm sorry.  The widespread nastiness that seems to have taken over much of HP seems to be getting to me.   smile  )

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

14. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 12 years ago

WTF? That's like in two days.  First I've heard of it.  And quite frankly, I could have done with a little more notice.

15. Matt in Jax profile image60
      Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

I will live my life like normal. Day after day.

16. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...oh my i forgot about the 21st - Saturday will be extra special...maybe subconsciously I decided to head out of the earthquake zone i live in for a spot that is nice and warm and a day away from the 'zone'...leaving Friday..yahoo!...

....happy long weekend fellow Canadians!...it's almost here - 1 more sleep for me!

17. ForkArtJunkie profile image60
      ForkArtJunkieposted 12 years ago

I'm sincerely concerned. I just went to their website - they had this video for their followers entitled:

If I'm not raptured on May 21, 2011 what do I do?

It was based on a question a follower had asked, and it basically states, "Well, you are not saved then - you will be destroyed."

I'm worried they will be frightened or panic...

I even sent them an email to express my concern, but they haven't responded yet. I think they believe people are laughing at them - them or us mentality, certainly, some are. But, that's not where I'm coming from. I just don't believe it is judgment day May 12, and I worry about any anguish their followers may be going through, and I also don't want them to do anything crazy.

18. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

what will happen?

we will be stuck with the same old political garbage as usual!

and we all will wait for the next crack-pot to tell us the next date!

19. BaliMermaid profile image58
      BaliMermaidposted 12 years ago

See - it's already 25% through the 21st of May 2011 and nothing is happening other than it's a beautiful day.

How could anything happen that is bad today. It's my birthday.
      So happy birthday to me and to the world who just survived another stupid doomsday scam.

Happy Birthday to you! smile

No earthquakes in Australia yet, and from what I can see, New Zealand is still there. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy Birthday! smile

3. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My son's birthday too!  [Happy Birthday, BaliMermaid smile ]

See y'all next week....

4. profile image0

my son's birthday party today the 21st May in Australia - kids settling down to watch a movie after running around doing a treasure hunt

5. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Happy Birthdau Bali, best wishes

20. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

I'd be astonished if nothing happened. Something happens every day.

21. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Australian early warning system.

10.59am Still here, no rapture. I will keep reporting in as promised. smile

22. zzron profile image58
      zzronposted 12 years ago

It will prove that the Bible is right when it mentions that no man will know the time day or hour of the second coming of Christ. Even Jesus said he didn't know when the time would be. But only God knows. The Bible also mentions that he will return like a thief in the night, meaning quick and sudden without any notice.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4964441_f248.jpg

Now that is what I would call open ended. lol lol lol

lol   lol

(I know nothing about the Bible - really NOTHING - but somewhere over the course of my life I heard that thing about "thief in the night" thing, but I also heard that there was going to be plenty of time for everyone on Earth to get their soul-act together before it happened.  Either way, when the 22nd rolls around there's going to be a lot of back-peddling and telling everyone that people weren't interpreting the whole business correctly.)

We Northern Hemisphere Hubbers await your next word, Earnest.  Put on a tin-foil hat, get under your kitchen table, and stay safe - whatever you do!!

Just guessing here Lisa, but I think as it is after 6 in Auckland, I should be able to take the tin foil hat off now, or at least lower my antenna. smile

Ah.  Excellent (although, maybe keep the hat nearby for 6 hours).  You've played a crucial role in all this and should be very proud.   smile

lol lol lol I could never have pulled it off without the foil hat though.

2. profile image0
        writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So let me get this straight.

One day (sorry, night) I'm walking along the street and I come upon this guy in a white robe, sandalled feet, long hair and a beard, looking a bit harried (you know, kinda like 'a thief in the night').

I get a bit of a shock, and as I step back, under my breath I say "Jesus.." and the guy says "Of course; hey, do you know what time it is?" and I say, (since I don't wear a watch). "God knows, but it's late." And he says "You don't know how late." And then, just like that (sorry, 'quick and sudden') the world ends. 

How'd I do?

23. matth71 profile image61
      matth71posted 12 years ago

This is about as ridiculous a thing as I have ever heard.  And I'm extremely religous and christian.  This guy who predicted the rapture also predicted the end to be in September 1994, and after nothing happened, he claimed a miscalculation.   There is no way anyone will know, that is kinda the point of the rapture.

24. Freya Cesare profile image77
      Freya Cesareposted 12 years ago

Look at this article about this topic. This is crazy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/und … _blog.html

from took their own lives to kill their own pets, what else?

25. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

UK signing in here, Its been 2 hours and nothings happened yet hmm lol

Lunch time in OZ. all is well. smile

1. profile image0
          writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't speak too soon. I just replied to zzron just above us here. If he can call down The Wrath of God, he probably will. Otherwise, have a nice day..

1pm gone, all is well! smile

26. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

Nothing will happen to me. As i am grounded in the Word of God, seeing through these weak and sickly doctrines is a snap. I was never taken in by it nor will i be disappointed when it does not happen.
      I am not amused by it.
      Just as there were false prophets saying all kinds of things in OT times, there will, in NT times be the same.
      I just hope Camping is humiliated enough to reconsider his poor relationship with God and I hope he fasts for a number of days and tries earnestly to get on the right track. I hope his followers also learn through this to get on track also. Good can come of this and i hope good does happen.

27. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

If you haven't seen this yet, you should check out "21 Things You Should Know About Harold Camping."

http://blog.beliefnet.com/omeoflittlefa … mping.html

Especially, check out items #12, #14, #21, and the comments by Boosterz, StevM, and Stanley J. Groothof.

Insightful and also hilarious.

28. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 12 years ago

It's not the first time failed predictions have failed to sway followers, take 7th day adventists.

29. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

any doomsday scenarios are interpretations of Jesus return...

but I believe that it is not Jesus, but the Christ that is returning. and not one Christ, that was Jesus, but the Christ in all of us, that is our Highest Conscience. Christos is the ancient Greek  name for "the anointed one".

Jesus wasn't talking just about himself, but that Christ aspect of himself that is in everyone of us. It is the highest level of evolution that the soul can attain...Jesus came to example what a Christed one is and does and to he came to show the way to become the Christ.

similar to a buddha in Buddhism... a state of consciousness any soul can attain to.

But up to this point, no one else has attained anywhere near the level of Christhood that he attained...but we can all strive for that ultimate goal and personify some aspects of that ultimate goal...virtue, kindness and healing of others, etc...

a very lofty goal and several lifetimes away for most of us big_smile

30. earnestshub profile image81

After 6pm in New Zealand... TIMES UP!

Hello New Zealand......... Hello????

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lmao....tooo funny

Oh well, they talked funny anyway, they say "sex" for "six" so they probably deserve to be first to go. smile

I may have these folks' locations wrong, but should we be worried about Pearldiver and Wrylilt?

Yep, I think they're from round this way. smile

2. profile image0

think wrylit lives in Qld, Australia like me (it's 6 pm now) and Pearldiver is in New Zealand (8 pm there now)

Glad the big 6 p.m. has passed for you, there.  Really....   All this talk about the end of the world.  I've been under the impression the world ended when Panda rocked the world.

31. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

An Old Priest in the confessional confronted a stripper
      standing in front of him, dressed in her evening atire
      the Old fellow began to lecture her about changing her ways in a confused tone.

when she refused , he pointed to her saying
      now when you get to Heaven young Lady
      Saint finger is going to point his Peter at you!!!!!!

lol lol lol but naughty. smile

32. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years ago

To all of those still earthbound, I wanted to share my thoughts as the Rapture takes me away, so I've brought along the laptop. The angels grabbed me before the alarm went off, so bear with me. I'm still waking up. There's a great deal of confusion here. It appears the heavenly version of FEMA coordinated the Exodus. I'm in a holding pattern, to the left of a cloudbank. I can  still clearly make out those on the ground. Oh...there's an atheist. I think he's flipping me off. How droll.

Now we're moving again.....We're moving......Now we've stopped again. S**t. Who's running this show?

To those of you wondering. We are all naked. I assume we'll get our heavenly garments soon, but d**n, that's a cool breeze. I hope, or there's a fair amount of shrinkage in heaven. Eternity is starting to not sound so good, the more I look around.

I see an angel. She's moving my way with a clipboard. Shaking her head.

Oh. Apparently my Rapture was a joke. Who knew God had a sense of humor? I'm coming home. I'm not going to be your eye in the sky anymore. See you around.

...but the ones still up there are still naked?   Eew!   Gross.   I wonder how long it will be before the sky is cleared up, and I can look up again.   hmm  There's nothing worse than a sky full of flying, naked, people!  "Rapture?"   I think not!!!  mad

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to speculate. It was quite the traffic jam, with no end in sight. Had heaven thought this through they would have declared it casual Saturday. PJ's included.

33. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years ago

I am now floating above the clouds. The view is AMAZING.
      I see all you little ants (that were left behind) running around trying to figure out what (didn't) happened. Don't worry, I will wake up soon, and be part of the real world too.
      lol lol lol

Hey, maybe it's the 21st of next month. hmm   Anyone want to second the motion?

Maybe it will be on the 30th on June, at the end of our financial year? Hey.....you never know....

1. profile image0

yet you believe a rapture will happen?

1. aka-dj profile image65
          aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I presume you did read about the event in the Bible, no?

However, I am of the camp that says it's imminent, but no hour, day nor year is published. I don't run around trying to figure any dates out, or carrying placards "warning" people.

It will be THE BIGGEST event in human history. No-one will miss this event when it comes.

1. profile image0

many christians don't even believe in an event 'rapture'.  The word 'rapture' doesn't even appear in the bible.  It's a doctrine of the fundies since the early 1800s.

The benefit of clinging to the 'no-one knows the day or hour' is that you don't get to humiliate yourself with a failed prediction of a date that passes

1. profile image0
              brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The rapture was a belief that stemmed from:
              1 Thessalonians 4:17   Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

The main parts are that Paul is describing the resurrection. The word them in vs 17 are those that died previously. The last part of this verse is the finality of this action of resurrection. In short, for there is depth here, this scripture pertains to resurrection, NOT rapturection. <-- hehe i make a funny. smile
              This verse plainly shows the need for context and the harm of taking one scripture, ignoring the neighboring verses and making a doctrine out of it.

2. aka-dj profile image65

We are told not to make predictions.
              Just following that teaching will keep "egg off your face".

As for the word "rapture" not being in the Bible, you are correct. But the concept it describes IS, so, we can call it by another name, but it remains essentially the same.
              "A rose by any other name, is still....well, you know what I'm saying.

But, you are also correct, I DO believe such an event WILL happen. smile

1. profile image0

some seem to think people will be taken up naked - imagine that!

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
                  Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heaven doesn't have a mirror obviously, and dishes out very, very dark glasses free with every harp and halo !

2. Woman Of Courage profile image59
        Woman Of Courageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi dj, Your first post was funny smile It's sad for the people who believed the words this pastor were declaring. That's what happens when people stray away from the word of God.

1. profile image0

And from God himself. There is no way God told this guy this event was going to happen, so obviously, the guy is a loose cannon with hisSelf on the throne of his life.

1. profile image0

or he is just a senile old man

1. profile image0

Thanks bailey
              I like to think that God would not allow senility to lead His people down a path such as this. Unbeknown to the unchristian, God does play an active role in the church. I am sure that if this fellow had become as senile as this type of message indicates, God would have stepped in before it happened and replaced this man with another.
              In order to totally agree with your conclusion I would have to say that this church leadership is far from any real contact with God and  that would be, to our definition, a cult. It is hard for God to steer people in cults because they are fixated on their beliefs and not Gods revelations. In all cult doctrines there are areas that incur separation from God by severe wrongness.

JWs believe Micheal the archangel is Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ is NOT one God with the father, Jesus christ is not jehovah God but the first son that god brought forth (clearly adam was) [emphasis mine] Salvation by works
              Mormons believe there are 3 gods, that god is a progessive being  perhaps once a child and mortal; each god through his wife or wives, no salvation
              Scientology believes god can be whoever you want him to be, Jesus  Christ is a great teacher although rarely mentioned in Scientology and followers are urged to follow their inner spirit instead of the promptings of the Holy Spirit. no salvation
              Christian Science believes god is the father-mother, jesus is the human man and christ is the divine idea, resurrection is not to be taken literally but is a spiritualization of thought. no salvation
              Wiccans believe in the great mother goddess and her partner the horned pan, all plants, rocks, planets have spirits, indeed all aspects of nature, Jesus is not discussed in deity in wicca, god and goddess are seen as manifestations of masculine and feminine, well, jesus not discussed as deity is enough lol. no salvation
              (Just to clear this up, previously i mentioned how God does not work with people because their doctrines are 100% spot on, i will now add, as clearly i might have before, that some theologies are extremely important to God.) 
              Lets use the rapture theology, how is God to change a persons mind if they are not open to new and contradictory revelation? God may lead them toward redefining this rapture doctrine but if they rebel against the new teaching for the, umm, shall i say 'path of least resistance', God is powerless to effect His required result unless by some sign or wonder, shall i purport of a sheet with new revelation inside it, being lowered 3 times or an truthfully divine vision if you will. God knows hearts, hard hearts and stubbornness are enmity against Gods purpose. Perhaps this person has some saving grace and some stubbornness that God will allow this situation to occur to smite, hehe, smite.. pride and arrogance and hopefully give birth to humility and submission. Its my guess that after this failed prediction, camper should be seeking God instead of reworking his mathematics, although it would probably be his first inclination to rework the mathematics, i hope not.
              I know.. i try to write short responses all the time but it never quite works out that way.

2. earnestshub profile image81

A rich senile old man! smile

1. profile image0

maybe he's just a cunning, manipulative old bugger?

I missed the number in the broadcast from BBC he either took 17 million or 70 million off his followers, I'm not sure which. Either way he is well into the religious money game. smile

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
                    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can we assume his next radio broadcast will be from Mexico ?

Could be, I don't know if anyone has heard his self rebuttal yet, or had their money refunded! smile

2. profile image0

apparently only his wife believed him, not his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren

http://www.christianpost.com/news/who-a … ing-50368/

3. profile image0

now thats a possibility lol

1. profile image0

or maybe he's a deluded old fool that persuaded lots of other deluded fools - that's probably it

1. profile image0

just couldn't be nice and wish them well could ya

34. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 12 years ago

the man who predicted 21 may had done similar prediction is past too and like in past , this time too he would be proven wrong...but speculation would continue ...that seems to be human trait...so we might have some 21 may 3011 date by some one in future too...

1. profile image0

what's incredible is how many people take this kind of thing seriously.  As least he can be proved a fraud.  But look at how many people are conned by religion

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

religion would keep existing till humans find better ways to give meaning to our lives...life becomes meaning less for many if religion and god is taken out of their lives...clinching to religion or god is more for meaning than for anything else according to me.

1. profile image0
            1. pisean282311 profile image62
              pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol no end times might be depressing for them tomorrow...

2. profile image0

As i have said before, only the weak and sickly of Christendom CAN be taken in by this sort of thing. This is why God gave us his Word. For example if people never knew the world was not going to be flooded by water again as per:
          Genesis 9:11   And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
          They might be taken in by a preacher who said a flood is coming!
          Reading Gods word is important BUT being connected to God is paramount. (its a relationship thing smile
          Of course we never heard about the more well versed members of his congregation who jumped this sinking ship a long time prior. Kudos to them.

35. Lissie profile image75

I am loving this suggestion - set up some fake raptures - my laying out old clothes and shoes on the footpath! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic … d=10727157

1. profile image0

and will a witness need to say you got sweep up naked in to the sky?

36. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Gonna be a lot of cranky people in the religion forums today smile

1. CMHypno profile image84
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, they will be too busy doing a recalculation - probably left out a verse in revelations or something!

How about 23rd October 2011 as their new date - probably as good as any LOL!

37. jessicab profile image61
      jessicabposted 12 years ago

No one knows when the world will end.  I do not worry about, but I do continue to live my life by bible principles.

38. Balinese profile image40
      Balineseposted 12 years ago

strong wind here in ireland as usuall - i hope my hub get double red:)
      have a nice weekend guys

39. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

No rapture yet that I can see.....
      Can we start being responsible for our actions and messes now?
      Since it seems obvious that the big sky daddy isn't going to arrive in the nick of time to clean up our messes for us hmm

40. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years ago

The "Rapture" is one of the most misunderstood concepts in bible prophesy.
         Most people that talk about it do not even know when this concept was first mentioned in scripture.

The earliest mention of it that I am aware of is Daniel 12:1

Some time around 538 BC. 

And at "THAT  TIME" shall Michael stand up,   the great prince which standeth for the children of  THY people ...

Two thoughts come to mind ...  Who was this talking about ? when he said  "the children of Daniels people"
         This is speaking about a specific group of people!

And what is it talking about when he says  "At That time"?

These are very important details that are overlooked!

All of these prophesy described through out the book of Daniel were written to that Hebrew Nation that existed at
      THAT TIME.  Approx. 568 years before Christ died on the cross.
         Approx. 676 years before that Hebrew Nation ceased to exist.

It would seem logical to think that all of those prophesy were fulfilled before that nation was scattered through out the rest of the Roman Empire.

Everyone  ASSUMS  that those prophesy as mentioned in the book of Revelation  are speaking of the same events as those in the book of Daniel.  (WRONG)   
          Talk about time being meaningless

As long as we continue to forecast past events as future events, and try to pinpoint a date for them to be fulfilled; we will always be wrong. 
          In fact,  to do this will mess up our concept of the intended message.

No one knows what tomorrow may bring  or at what time something is going to happen;  tomorrow  ...  that is ...
      until day after tomorrow.

41. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 12 years ago

The problem with bible numerology for an 'end of days' prediction and why no one can predict the exact time is that the history of our calendar that we are using today has undergone so many changes that even the birth of Jesus Chirst himself is off years.

From: http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/year-history.html
      Julian then the Gregorian calendar was adopted - there was no zero at first,The calendar of today start in the 18th century with leap years, leap day and now - leap seconds!

April Fool's Day was the old New Year's Day.

BTW: Did you now that the orbiting satellite around the Earth have to constantly tweak their clocks because since traveling closer to the speed of light - the satellites clocks run slower than those on Earth.

Wall Street transactions need to have a time stamp on a transaction that is the same worldwide.

From http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gps-relativity.asp

"atomic clocks at GPS orbital altitudes will tick faster by about 45,900 ns/day"

6pm tonight? What about the effects of the earth and moon on each other that slow down the Earth rotation which would change the time dilation over thousands of years?

42. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years ago

ptosis wrote ..
      The problem with bible numerology for an 'end of days' prediction and why no one can predict the exact time is that the history of our calendar that we are using today has undergone so many changes that even the birth of Jesus Chirst himself is off years.

= - = -
      That is true  ptosis. 

And where do we begin when making these calculations?

What point in time ?   and what calculations do we use?       What kind of formula do we use?   

Without the right formula, a week in prophesy =s  what?

All of our concepts of what prophesy says ??  will be wrong.

Where to begin?

43. earnestshub profile image81

I notice that one religious leader has taken your thought process further, by waiting outside the believers headquarters to console those who put their life saving in to camper and his radio show.

I feared for their mental health before the "rapture."

1. profile image0

most will probably still believe, even though conned of their life savings

44. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

3 hours more and 30 minutes, and it is Sunday..LOL

45. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Happy May 22nd, everyone.    smile

1. aka-dj profile image65

and 23rd, 24th, 25th, .....well, you get my drift! big_smile

46. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years ago

In times such as this it is important to note that God want's fruitful Christians, not religous nuts.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find lots of fruits and nuts in LA CA and at Christmas time

47. LeanMan profile image81
      LeanManposted 12 years ago

I just cut open an apple and there, written in the center was a message from god, she said that she is very sorry, running late, had to do her hair and a few other bits of last minute shopping but not to worry the world will end soon......

I hope that this clarifies the situation..

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Still a bad hair day

48. Lissie profile image75

looks like their site got raptured anyway -guess they didn't pay hosting for the 22nd LOL http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ … ndex2.html

1. profile image0

just like all the believers had their life savings raptured away

49. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Consolation for rapture believers - there was a volcanic eruption in Iceland yesterday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rupts.html

But wasn't quite the world-engulfing event they were hoping for LOL!

50. LittleFairy profile image59
      LittleFairyposted 12 years ago

So the awaited day has passed and still nothing happened. These people should really start to ponder what they believe in and start to question their so-called leaders who put such ideas in their minds.

51. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 12 years ago

Answer: Most of us keep on living.

For the few diehard believers? Egg on face! Scrambling to save face! Ego going crazy, trying to get creative and figure a way out. That's what comes from being too attached to an idea and investing one's identity in some belief. Crash and burn.

The guy who "interpreted" the Bible didn't know what he was doing. Or perhaps it was all a publicity stunt to increase his audience.

To the biblical literalists, the fact that science has a good handle on reality (nature), but disagrees with their literal Genesis timeline, only causes cognitive dissonance. Their solution is to diss all science. I call that wallowing in a delusion.

There is a spiritual side to our existence, but most people don't have a clue how to access it. Most people live too much in their own egos. Either they're showing how good they are so as to impress their peers, or their self-destructing because no one understands them. But it's all pure ego. Humility is the antidote to ego, but for most, humility is too uncomfortable. And some people have too much fun squirting ego all over the place.

Me? I still have far too much ego. Even talking about it like I know what I'm talking about, seems to bolster ego. Like the founder of Christianity said, we need to approach this so that the left hand (ego?) does not know what the right hand does (the true self sleeping within?).

52. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

Nothing really...lol  It'll just happen that we all show up for May 22, 2011.  Which appears to be what happens since it's now 4:04AM CST on 5/23/11.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)