Do you earn a living from blogging? Is blogging an alternative?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Kevar Telfer profile image43
    Kevar Telferposted 9 years ago

Is a worthy option for employment? would you you replace blogging with your Brick and Mortyr Stores? what is thought? let us reason and share opinion.

Kevar Telfer

1. susi10 profile image97
      susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It depends on how many quality hubs you write. The more hubs, the more traffic you get but even if you wrote a couple of thousand quality hubs that actually rank and get traffic - you still couldn't live off it.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nope. My brick and mortar work is what funds my blogging/writings. I earn my keep offline. Freelance work can help buy my weekly groceries. But what pays the bills are brick and mortar endeavors.

Kevar Telferposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have a register business, but right the brick and mortar subside. how would you go about reviving it? Nature of Business include Online marketing and Management of Artistes.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
          csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have 2 other brick and mortar stores that I rely on for income. One is real estate that gives me money irregularly, the other one is farming that gives me regular income, and freelance work that gives me little money. I do stock trades and practice my profession as CPA. I blog and write for HP so I can earn money from these sources, someday.  smile

3. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's beer money, if you don't drink much beer.

4. Denmarkguy profile image83
      Denmarkguyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Blogging (and writing online) is a bit like professional sports. Millions aspire to make it and live off being in "the big leagues," but only a few hundred actually have the talent, skills, perseverance and luck to actually MAKE it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

No.

To what, having a "real" job? Probably not.

Unless you're a ridiculously gifted writer who also happens to have Ninja-level SEO skills...again, probably not.

Huh?

3. Kevar Telfer profile image43
    Kevar Telferposted 9 years ago

That is true, but how do others make a living doing it (blogging)?

1. flycatcherrr profile image66
      flycatcherrrposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It helps to have started in 1999 or so. smile

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah, those were the days...dial up connections,  AOL sign-up discs showing up in your mail at least three times a week, free (crappy) Geocities and Tripod.com web sites, the "Pets.com" sock puppet on TV...good times, good times.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
          Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I remember Geocities, I used to have a website with my dog on it. Was rather good looking as a website too!

Lol, but did you make any money from that site

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

How does "blogging" replace "stores"?

some people do it for a living? The question is what is the recipe?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you blog for a living, it is a full-time real job, not an alternative to a job.  You may want to note that this is not a site on which you should be blogging if you want to succeed.  That style of presentation does not do well here.  I suggest you read the Learning Center to get a better idea of how to write here.

Also, please note there is no trick or "recipe" for success.  Although convincing people there is turns out to be one of the most lucrative scams going.

I understand the platform, but not in it entirety as yet. however, constructive criticism play a major role in facilitating development. thanks for your advise.

Kevar Telfer

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Some people train lions for a living, some people run farms.

I make some of my income from blogging--most people are not full time bloggers, it is just one of many income streams. Blogging as a sole income is erratic and does not come with health benefits. I would not rely on it as a sole income even if I was making enough from it.

2. Stove And Home profile image92
      Stove And Homeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL Psyche.

5. susi10 profile image97
    susi10posted 9 years ago

Don't fall into the "Get Rich Blogging" trap.

Unless you work your butt off for ten years, writing blog posts every day, and create products worth buying, and have Ninjastic SEO skills, and go viral on social media at least three times a year, and survive the Panguin updates and get about ten thousands views a day.......it's an ongoing list.

Even if you do EVERYTHING mentioned above, you'll still earn less than a typical day job.

Can you truly do blogging along with a day job? a day requires a lot of time, just as blogging. what system would you apply?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I once read an article by a lady that has accomplished this. She worked on various sites 2-3 hours every night after work. After 3 years she met her goal. This was several years ago and with the competition now it would take longer. Of course, you need to learn SEO and keyword research first.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

Both take however much of your time you arrange for them to take

6. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 9 years ago

No.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

Yup it involves a combination of a lot of luck, crazy hard work, and ridiculous SEO and marketing skills. You can't say it's impossible because several people have done it, but we're talking a very select group of people compared to the hundreds of thousands trying everyday. The same applies to vlogging platforms and YouTube folks who try to monetize through their videos. Even if a couple hundred people are able to make a living off of it, you still have the millions that will fail.

1. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

that is the reality of it. But, should we ask this question then, who is a blogger?

8. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 9 years ago

I think many of us stepped on the scene too late. Back when people were making money here I was working, working out, socializing and never got on the Internet.

9. JennyDelToro profile image60
    JennyDelToroposted 9 years ago

I have a blog (not my HP) that gets what I would think is decent traffic and I what I make from it is a joke. You would have to have an interesting niche and work your tail off for a long time before you could ever make a living off of your blog. Life's no fair sad

10. Jason Marovich profile image87
    Jason Marovichposted 9 years ago

One of my favorite bloggers netted over a year's span less than what most people would pay for a one bedroom apartment in one month.

11. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

I do.........

But don't rely on HP as your only source of income as that is just not going to work. I have been working online now for over 5 years and I have eggs in many different baskets. Some provide a few bucks while others several hundreds every month.

It takes hard work and often a little luck also...

what is the recipe otherwise from the other sites? how do you earn a living from it? please share

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

These days, there are many great bloggers for every marketable niche. There are also a ton of really bad bloggers for each niche.

13. chika-nicholas profile image66
    chika-nicholasposted 9 years ago

Blogging is not that top-earning of  crafts.
    I do blog to work on my writing skills.
    However,if you have a flair in fiction writing,it would be nice if you focus on publishing a collection of short stories or a best-selling novel that can be made into a block-buster movies.

14. GlendaGoodWitch profile image87
    GlendaGoodWitchposted 8 years ago

It is possible,  but, it takes time and real commitment.  I earn a solid supplemental income here.  I have also contributed to blogs with a few articles and started my own;  The Freedom Examiner, The Glory Days of Hollywood,  and another one that has folded.  (Less than 10 articles for those blogs,)  I have referred more than 5 people to hubpages and none of them have written more than 4 articles.   I say this because I am pointing out that most people just don't have it in them to discipline themselves to write over 500 articles,  which it will take for sure.   
    I have less than 100, but,  due to time, my articles have become popular enough to pay at least one of my bills each month. Don't listen to negative people,  keep writing,  and,  be sure to start your own blog.

15. profile image0
    Engeltaposted 8 years ago

If you invest your time and energy in writing good articles that people want to read and also invest in promoting, you will get more money out of it. I do not know your valute, but in mine, I earn more from blogging because there I get payed in euros, while in hubpages I get paid in dollars. You earn the same amount of money per view about: 0.002, but when blogging is 0.002 euros per view, while in hubpages is 0.002 dollars per view. So, I earn more from blogging for the same amount of views.
    And another thing to keep in mind: In hubpages your earning per view may change due to changes of the Hubberscore. No matter what they claim, if you have a Hubberscore of  50-60 your earnings per view will fall into 0.0006 dollars!! Too low I know! And take it first hand, because I am experiencing this problem right now! For the same amount of views, I get much less because my Hubberscore has fallen, and I can't figure out a way to get it back up.
    Anyway, this is all about blogging versus Hubpages relating to the earnings you make.

16. Lee Hansen profile image76
    Lee Hansenposted 8 years ago

I've earned my living from web sites, writing and blogging for a decade. It's my sole source of income and marketing for my Zazzle stores. I don't do a lot of promotion but rely more on organic search. It's not what it was 5 years ago, but it's working despite changes and loss of Squidoo and Zujava and Amazon.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That gives us some hope. I'm glad that it is possible.

17. littlething profile image94
    littlethingposted 8 years ago

I really don't think that blogging can realistically replace a regular job, unless you started early wand worked very hard at it. It can be some great supplemental income, but your best bet is with a regular job. When you have a wage or salary, you can have some idea on how much you'll make. Blogging there is no certainty on how much you'll make in a week or month.

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you treat it as a regular job and don't expect to earn anything from blogging about what you had for breakfast then yes it can make far more than any regular job.
      If you figure out what people want to read, what will actually earn you money and then work on it then you can make a real income..
      I have not worked a "regular" job for 5 years and support a household of 8 on what I earn online.
      Just don't put all of your eggs in one basket so that you don't get affected when Google starts to make changes.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

I think this is an important comment. People generally seen as professional bloggers often use their blog as part of a diversified income. They may also, for example, sell snooks, provide consulting, be a content expert, do paid speaking engagements etc.

Blogs are part of my strategy but for me not a core part, they are an easy way to spin value from my content expert activities ( under my real name ). My use of lesser-paid content sites like this one are under a different name for branding purposes. I don't want to be charging $100 per blog under the same name as a cents-per-page site

2. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is awesome @LeanMan.

18. Jezzzz profile image44
    Jezzzzposted 8 years ago

I believe blogging can be a great living, but with any business it takes time to build up.  That building process may take years for you to establish yourself as a niche leader.  But once you are able to establish yourself, you can build a business on know how.

19. profile image0
    mikeydcarroll67posted 8 years ago

For me as a person, my focus here on HP is purely a desire to have a little bit of spending money. Are there people here that earn a living from their hubs? Probably. Are there people here earning more than their keep? Sure. But the majority here might not. It might be beneficial to understand and use this as a way to fund other supplementary incomes so that one day you might not have to work for someone else.

20. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

The problem with blogging is that it attracts less traffic and predictably income too is very low there. Hence, I do concentrate on HP as it has some advantages over the Blogger. Anyhow to express our personal feeling/experience, the Blogger is the best option. Thank you for this post dear.

21. SouradipSinha profile image85
    SouradipSinhaposted 8 years ago

No one earns a living by writing blogs!
    They might offer a short holiday trip to even the most successful bloggers..

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this
    2. integrater profile image61
      integraterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is a misconeption . Apart from Darren Rowse mentioned by WriterFox there are many bloggers who make more than decent amount blogging full time .

22. abroadkaylyn profile image66
    abroadkaylynposted 8 years ago

Hi Souradip I am not agree with you. There are many person who are very famous and earn alot with blogging. Neil patel, amit agarwal..

23. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 8 years ago

You can probably earn a living from blogging if your blog becomes popular and ranks high on google but still it probably wouldn't be enough to pay all the bill and have money left over...

24. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

There are bloggers and vloggers who have been able to earn a living from their platforms. However the ratios of those who have succeeded to those who haven't is massive. On the plus side, there are many more who've been able to make a nice side income alongside their regular job, and that's an attainable goal.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you speak to bloggers that do earn enough, they have many sites and blogs. Hubpages just adds to the pot. It is rare for a writer to earn enough with just one site.

25. profile image53
    Pettlepopposted 8 years ago

Yes I earn a living from people watching my funny cat videos
    http://dailymotion.com/pettlepop

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)