Kontera won't pay earnings until I can earn $75 a month

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I questioned them month ago about my payment that was $30+ under what my account shows, and they said I'd receive payment later because for that particular quarter. Fine... It's been two months, and I questioned it as I still haven't received the payment. Mind you I signed up when HubPages initially signed up with Kontera, so as far as I can remember there wasn't any choice as to how we were paid, and I haven't received any emails as to my payout schedule being a certain way and having a choice to change it.

This is the only affiliate program that doesn't send emails in regards to account information. What was I supposed to do frequently read and re-read over and over the TOS and its changes because I certainly never received any emails that it was changing or had changed.

I've long since removed Kontera from my hubs, so I'll never get thatrevenue as they'll start taking from the reveune left over in the account. I'll never reach $75 to get my $120+ earnings.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Kontera has had problems with a lot of people, I was thinking about just disabling it completely. I think its horrible how it doesn't work like Adsense and just roll over the money until you reach $100. It basically appears that they have no intention of ever paying out to anyone.

~thranax~

3. belief713 profile image60
    belief713posted 14 years ago

Oh wow, I thought it rolled over like AdSense...

4. HealthCare Basics profile image59
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

There was a forum about this issue and I have disabled Kontera altogether..............

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Hey, Whitney, Kontera would seem to have just given you a perfect case for suing them and winning as what you were told is not what is stated on their site for what their official payment terms are...

from the Kontera site

According to them, if you earn more than $5 from all your site i one month, it will roll over and accrue until you hit $100, then get paid out.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks relache for the info. That's what I was under the impression the terms were.

Bringing issue to the report a problem section and hopes that HP reconsiders the program.

6. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I'm entirely not impressed with the way Kontera have set up their business model. Talk about jumping through hoops and over hurdles. It's a [removed exact curse word] disgrace!

Whitney, I suggest that you don't discuss this any further on a public forum, as it may hinder rather than help your cause, and to follow the path that Relache has pointed out.

I will email you my next suggestion...

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

After hearing some more stories, similar to yours, I turned off Kontera on all my hubs and saw my earnings really increase.

As you know Kontera ads pay a lot less and DO NOT open up in new windows. Once a kontera ad is clicked, the chances of a reader clicking on an adsense ad is near impossible.

Adsense does open up in a new window on hubpages.

I'm longing for the day when hubpages makes it so amazon products open up in a new window, too.

I make sure that all outgoing links in my hubs always open in new windows...I'm a believer that this really affects earnings!

8. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I too am thinking of disabling Kontera.  They change their story all the time and their ads don't pay anything.  I have lots of clicks but no revenue because each click is worth a penny or two.

Plus, they appear to only catch about 1/3 of the total page impressions.

9. bgpappa profile image78

Just Disabled It. My own little rebellion

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I truly think that your earnings will increase! Let me know what happens. I personally saw a substantial increase after disabling Kontera...it makes sense as to why. I'd rather be earning $1 a click with Adsense than .01 measly cent with Kontera. Once they click a Kontera ad, they're gone for ever.

1. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im going to try it now, i mean switching off Kontera. Their earnings are embarassingly low. I'll take this advice and see how it goes.

You wont believe this. I turned off Kontera from all my hubs. I swear i started to see the red triangles IN 45 MINUTES. Yes, that fast. My traffic funny, enough has risen since then. It was about 25 to 30 a day, has now shot up to about 49 a day. ( nothing to write home about, but it worked). And i got 25cents from Adsense 2 days later. Usually i get like 1cent like every 3 days.
          Girly-Girl, you're GENIUS. Thanks for that useful tip.

1. wychic profile image84
            wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar traffic experience, as mine has gone up about 30% since shutting off Kontera. I haven't checked Adsense earnings yet, but it will be interesting to watch what effect it has on both Adsense and traffic over the next few weeks.

10. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I disabled Kontera too a few months back after reading some negative threads about them.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Can a person temporarily disable Kontera ads (just as a kind of trial thing), without making a "final" decision until checking out any possible changes in earnings?

Another Kontera question:   I'm fairly new with it.  Suppose a person builds up a few dollars over a period of, say, three months.  Suppose, then, that the total earnings for the fourth month don't meet the $5 thing.   Will the person lose their first few months' of earnings because of that?

12. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

To be honest, I've never clicked on a Kontera ad at ANY time in my surfing daze. I don't see the purpose in it, besides cluttering up stuff. Though, I would love to see a hub where it works well.

And yeah, thats an invitation to show me (via e-mail) or us (via a link here) one, if you please.

13. Whitney05 profile image83

I haven't hada chanceto read the replies, but I will a little later. I'm in a hurry getting ready for work, but thought I should add that yes in the previos emails that we spoke, he did say I'd get the other earnings in another pay period. But, he NEVER said anything about the $75 before I could get paid. If I had known that I would have left Kontera on my hubs a month longer.

I figure if I put them back on my hubs to earn that $75, they'll come up with another excuse, especially by then because I'm sure they'll deduct more from the account.

14. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Wow - as you know, I decided kontera were scam artists some time ago and removed them from all my hubs. I suggest you bring this up in the "report a problem" forum. I know Jenny bought up another, different issue and perhaps hubpages might want to rethink their association with this company.

15. Jen's Solitude profile image86
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

I read an older forum post and since I'm no where near 10,000 views a month I think I'll turn off Kontera. Hopefully my adsense will improve as you stated girly girl. Kontera sure seems confusing with its set-up, never a good thing in my experiences.

Jen

16. Whitney05 profile image83

For those of you who shut off your Kontera ads, I hope you gave a 30 day notification to Kontera as it's against the TOS to shut off all ads without giving them a full 30 days notification. I was informed that earlier today, but personally, at this point I don't care if they cancel the account because of that. But yea just a heads up on that. I'm not really sure the consequences of not iving the notice.

Oh, and I am not allowed to have the email showing from the kontera support guy, especially bc I altered it to remove the exact figures. I emailed HubPages to remove it bc I can no longer edit the thread.

I have decided not to pursue the matter as it is a waste of time and energy in my part. I have better things to do. I will just add that I appreciate your help relache and darkside, and for those others I wanted to let you know that after removing the Kontera ads, my Adsnse greatly increased and has had a steady increased since the removal. Ebay and Amazon are still about the same- as they're a different type of program.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unbelievable. They've got quite the bag of tricks haven't they.

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't care if I violated their terms of service. They violated their original intent. I think Hubpages should get rid of them. I find their links to be very annoying and hardly any hubs have them anymore, at least ones I have read. And adsense improves with their departure.

3. darkside profile image63

Whereabouts did you find this bit of information?

17. gamergirl profile image88
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

After earning them a whopping $1.20 or thereabouts, I'm not particularly concerned if they get in a tizzy over my turning their service off.

As with any other form of monetization, they are displayed on my articles at my discretion.  Based on what you've shown of them here, and other stories and information I've received, I think I made the right choice.

Sorry you had such a shady experience with them, Whitney.  Poor work on their part.

1. darkside profile image63

They would have siphoned off that buck twenty already. Anything under five dollars a month they confiscate and put in their own piggy bank.

18. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been signed up on Kontera since it first became available on Hubpages too and had been considering shutting it off because it's not making much of anything. After hearing all the negatives here, my mind is made up. If they don't like my lack of 30-day notice, they're sure welcome to close my account...at the rate it's earning, I'd get a payout in approximately 10 years.

19. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

I had no idea that Kontera did not roll over like Adsense. How do I give them their notice?

20. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I guess i am in breach of their TOS as well, I just shut it down.

Yeah me too. I wait to see what they will do. i'd love to be a nuisance to them, just as they have been to me too. I have only 8cents with them anyhow. Yes, after 4 months. Lousy hun?

21. soni2006 profile image79
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I am fed up of Kontera. I think I should remove Kontera from all my hubs as it is not working well on my hubs and not paying me anything.... I worked hard over it but all in vain.

22. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

I turned mine off after reading the previous thread. I never got about $5 in a month and don't want to give adsense the competition.

23. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

PS: I THINK KONTERA SUCKS.
    Over to you HP!!!

24. bgpappa profile image78

If I don't give the thirty days notice, what are they going to do?  Cancel the account?

25. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I shut them off over two weeks ago now as the non roll over with earnings just seems like a slap in the face for us as content writers....changing the policies mid way was a bad move and motivating factor as it didn't motivate anyone to drive more traffic to their hubpages to get more revenue from Kontera ads it just pissed people off big time.

Even if I managed to get huge substantial traffic, the trust has faded away with a company that could change their minds about paying people, so I'll have to pass on a company that promised as much as the rest of the ad networks but didn't deliver the right customer focused mindset.....Goodbye Kontera!!!

26. kblover profile image85
    kbloverposted 14 years ago

Wow - glad I found this thread before I considered adding them in once my hubs get more popular.

Now I know - learn from other's experiences and all that.

Thanks for sharing, Whitney!

27. bgpappa profile image78

Out of curiosity I sent Kontera an email stating that I was shutting them off.  When I signed up with them it took them two weeks to get it right and an average of four days to return an email.

About two hours later I received an email from Kontera. It was a form email saying that they are working on my problem.  Half of the email were links for more Kontera products.

Nothing like specialized customer service.

28. darkside profile image63

Whatever happened to the Kontera thread where the Kontera rep answered our questions and sorted stuff out?

29. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Interesting I did'nt know that.

30. darkside profile image63

I've just published a hub on 'How Kontera Works'.

Here's the readers digest version:

How Kontera Works

Not very well.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was wondering about that lol

Haven't had a chance to read the hub yet but I got the notification.

LOL darkside! big_smile

31. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 14 years ago

Hmmm I'm wondering now. I sent Kontera an email and asked them how to find out my last years money earned. If I calculated correctly I should be at about $80 now, but if I lost last years I am going to just disable it. They won't get back to me.

32. debris profile image78
    debrisposted 14 years ago

I'm glad I saw this.  I'll avoid them like the plague now.  I haven't used them yet as hubpages put the little tidbit about earning $50.00 with Adsense.  But I'm starting to get to that point and I was considering Kontera.

33. C.S.Alexis profile image83
    C.S.Alexisposted 14 years ago

When you decide to disable Kontera make sure they are not still using your pages. I disabled some time back and found an older hub that they were still using yesterday. It had to be disabled from the edit.

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can disable all of them at once.

34. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Interstingly, I wrote to Kontera about payments, got an answer in one day, and learned that some of what Whitney has been saying here is misquoted and/or inaccurate.

If you don't read and understand the entire terms of service of a company BEFORE YOU SIGN UP FOR THE SERVICE, you have no one to blame but yourself.

And just for the record, my earnings with Kontera do accrue and payout at $100 just like they do for AdSense.

1. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to try emailing them again about last years earnings. I am so close to payout that I would like to stick with it till payout. After that though I am going to disable Kontera because I think it would be better for my Adsense.

35. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 14 years ago

I have also recieved payout from the, from accruing income. Right now it is at (very) approximately $120.00 every quarter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)