I put my dog down today

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (44 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image71
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Dear God, I am so sad.  Birthday was our favorite dog for 15 years and today he lost his battle with splenetic cancer, seizures and a fused spinal column.  Poor guy, it was time.  I know I've lost a piece of my heart here.

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know you have...you lost one of your family. Sorry to hear the news

2. alternate poet profile image66
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you have lost a friend.  I have 'lost' six animals, a cat, 4 dogs and a horse that I had to 'put down'; I remember all their little character bits and little events through their lives - and I lost a few human friends also, who I don't remember half so well.

lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

alternate poet-I hate the euphemisms, too.  Yep, I know these creatures far better than I know many, many people.

3. LeonJane profile image74
      LeonJaneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear about your loss. We had to put our dog down, he was 10 years old, and because he was a giant breed he grew quickly and that meant he grew old too quickly as well. In the end his heart couldn't pump his blood well enough. We had a vet come around and put him down sad

I wrote a poem about the feeling of losing a pet (in it I said I put the dog down by shooting it - but in real life I couldn't do this). The poem is called, "I shed a tear for you today".

Once again, my condolences.

4. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Been there and feel for you.  Pets are friends, pets become family and losing a loved one is so hard.  Sorry for your loss.

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey sorry to hear about your loss lorlie.  if its any consolation, i know exactly how you feel.  i had to put my dog down too a few weeks ago, since he lost his ability to walk completely due to spinal problems, and he had severe dental problems too.  he was like 20 yrs old when i had him put down.  i know nothing i can say will make up for your loss but if it helps, i know i always take solace in that my dog is no longer suffering in pain anymore.  anyways, i hope you feel better soon.  losing a loved one is never easy, but im sure he's in a better place now.

Oh Stevennix-then it is still fresh for you, too.  Take a look at the Rainbow Bridge poem Mighty Mom and others suggested I read.  Wow.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry lorlie.  We have an older dog and will soon face that same decision.  It doesn't make it any easier to know you did the right thing, but it was an act of compassion.

3. lorlie6 profile image71

Thanks Ron and mpm.  It means so much to have hubbers understand.

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. We put my 18 year old kitty down last year (I had her since age 4) and it truly was like losing a family member. The pain will begin to heal overtime; I think time is one of the only things that helps when losing such a precious pet.

You're right, girly_girl.  I know that time is what I need-today I'm in a state of shock, I guess.  Thanks for sharing about your kitty.  It is losing a family member-not even 'like.'  You know?

5. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

lorlie - so sad for you, I know it hurts.  Its good to remember the love and all Birthday gave you . . . take care.  Sending positive, healing energy to you to help you through this very rough time.

6. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

My kitty died last Thanksgiving, and there is still a hole in my heart. Hugs and sympathy!

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Love and hugs, lorlie.  I am so sorry.

8. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Big hugs!  I understand.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

a tender hug. our pets are part of us.. isn't it amazing how much they give to us? but I know, it is never anything we are prepared for. sorry to hear.

10. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

So sorry for your loss lorlie.  I lost the doggie love of my life in 2004.  I always speak of her fondly:  “Miss Mocha Bean Crayne lived to the ripe old age of 15 1/2.  How marvelous is that?!”  Strive to make the joy bigger than the sorrow.

11. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

lorlie, I'm very sorry about losing your pup (they always remain pups!!).  Remember the fun times, and he'll always be alive through your loving memories.  {{HUGS}}

12. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Oh Lorlie, my heart goes out to you. This has happened to me twice in the last year and I am still hurting. I know it doesn't help much to know, but you offered the ultimate act of love by making this decision and you did the right thing, your dog will always be grateful for your decision. Don't feel too bad, you will be re-united one day, and if you haven't read it already look up the poem "Rainbow Bridge" online, it will make you feel loads better. Blessings to you.

13. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

So sorry to hear about this.  I know how you feel.

14. LSKing profile image69
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. We had to do the same for our cat that was only 1 1/2 years old. It was very sad. Sometimes I can still feel her at my feet as I sleep.

We got two new kittens and are feeling better. I have a picture of our dearly departed cat hanging here on the wall.

It will get better with time. I'm very sorry for your lost.

15. BennyTheWriter profile image70
    BennyTheWriterposted 13 years ago

Very sorry to hear that.  I can only imagine how much of a good friend he was to you and your family.

16. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

my deepest sympathies to you Laurel. hugs

17. lorlie6 profile image71

I am so honored to have virtual friends so kind here on HubPages.  Thank you, every one of you, for your words.  I appreciate it more than I can say.

18. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I know how you feel as I have been through the same thing a couple of times. Sorry for your loss. Losing a part of the family is hard whether they are human or furry, Hope you have plenty of support around you. I know you do here on hubpages. My sympathies.

Thanks Diane Inside-I am blessed with lots of support, I think the hard part is going to be getting used to our home without him here.  Time is what I need.

19. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

our pets bring us joy and smiles and love every day, and a hole in our heart when they leave us. i'm so sorry sad

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have."
    - Gene Hill

I can't thank you all enough for your words. mailxpress-It's been one difficult day, that's for sure.  cosette-I've bookmarked Gene Hill's poem in Windows for reading through later, with more care.
      You are all amazing.

20. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

oh Lorlie, i can only imagine. my bunny got sick one time and as soon as i started dialing the vet i started crying, but to lose your beloved friend and companion of so many years...

he looked like such a sweetheart. i am glad he had you guys, and you guys had him.

21. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Dear Lorlie,
    Thank you for sharing your loss with your Hubber friends.
    We share your grief over Birthday (great name, btw).
    Know this: Birthday is now on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. He's having a great time with all the other doggies, kitties and other pets who are there romping and playing and fetching frisbees. They gave Birthday a big warm welcome.
    And I'm sending you a big, warm hug.
    Go ahead and let all the tears out, girlfriend.
    *Here's a tissues with the hug*
    MM

22. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

That is so sad, and you have my sympathies.  Pets are truly part of the family, and their unconditional love cannot easily be replaced.  I am sorry for your loss.

23. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Oh, Laurel, I am so sorry. I was thinking about you and Birthday just today. Hugs, girlfriend!

24. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

lorlie - sorry to hear about your trouble - that would just be so painful.

25. lorlie6 profile image71

Thanks again everyone, for posting.  This thread has been very healing for me. I am going to look up the Rainbow Bridge and let it out, I imagine...thanks quartzsherry, but I already have plenty of creatures surrounding me! 
    http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k375/luana360/Special%20Occasion/RainbowBridgepoem.gif

26. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I hated my wife's 4 year old dog... i wanted to strangle the little noisy SOB every time I had to get up and walk the little stupid @$%@@# in the middle of winter.

Late last year we found out that we had to put him down and that no amount of money could save him.

I cried like a little pansy all the way to the vet.

sorry for your loss sad

27. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

i must be a pansy too.

28. lorlie6 profile image71

Pansies rock!

29. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Hi Laurel - Hope things are going well, and you are doing ok, taking really good care of yourself!

30. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Ahhhhhhh geez Lorlie,

Very hard to say goodbye to a dear old friend, espec when they have been around the family for so long.

Givin you and your family my condolences on the loss.

31. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your dog passing, I think Rainbow Bridge looks like a great website to spend some time in.

32. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 13 years ago

My deepest condolences to you lorlie6. This is such a difficult time of loss and pain. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend and companion. May Birthday live on in your dreams and in your heart.

33. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Sorry about losing birthday, Lorlie, Can you imagine the love this dog felt for you, No , still  feels for you!

1. Homey19 profile image60
      Homey19posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dear Lorlie, I am so sorry for your loss. I too am a bit numb at this time.
      We had to put our Max down May 26 2010. Max was a rottie mix, the sweetest dog any one person can ask for. I still miss my Mee Mee head.
      Max was 12 years, 4 months and 13 days old when we had to put him down. We lost his dad Boo, the May before, he was 14 years, 5 months and 13 days old when he passed. Max had been insulin dependent diabetic for the last 5 1/2 years of his life and he took it like the trooper he was. He fought to the end but, then we had to do what was humane, just as you had to do hon. My heart goes out to you and your family...I am so very sorry.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)