Speaking in Tongues

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (612 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Someone told me today about someone speaking in tongues in their church on Sunday.  I'm rather dubious of this. Are there any Christians here who have seen this?  What's it all about?

I always assumed 'tongues' referred to when the apostles spoke other languages. I know there is a point in the gospels where it is mentioned in a different way, but I also know that portion can't be proven to belong in that book.

This idea of someone muttering while someone else interprets seems bizarre.

If you've seen it, how do you determine you believe it is real, and isn't simply someone looking for attention?

1. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoa.  I have to say that I have seen it.  It was years ago, back in the late 80's.  I went with my then boyfriend's family to this service where everyone was going to see this preacher, and this started happening, probably three or more, both sides of the aisle, and I was both angry and frightened, I was upset, I cried and shook.  I remember distinctly, even wrote a college paper after that on apostolic religions.  I think they were faking, and that made me angry, I have no idea why it made me cry, why it upset me so, but it did, I was pretty young at the time.

I made a point ever after to avoid those types of churches.  I think these extreme apostolic churches are the root cause of much anti-religious thinking.  I do believe the leaders of these churches are trying to harness their members and visitors, and their money of course, who are vulnerable and who need something awesome to witness and believe in. 

As I recall, speaking in tongues should not actually occur unless their is someone who can interpret them, and by now I would say the charlatans have likely perfected that by now, but not that Sunday when I experienced this, or maybe I just ran out to soon, that I don't recall.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it sounds like a scam to me. I was just hoping maybe someone could give me a take on it. I just cant imagine anyone believing. The woman who was telling me about it was doing everything she could not to roll her eyes at the memory.

1. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, for sure, most of those in that church seemed to 'believe', scam or not. Many of the others were howling and fainting and falling to their knees, no doubt that also contributed to my fright, although I suppose I really can't fully explain that, except I was young and had fairly recently lost my father.  But, I was then, and am now, a pretty tough woman, but I couldn't handle it.  Unforgettable experience.

1. W. Joe B. profile image60
            W. Joe B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

All too often, we fear what we don't understand, and this is the mistake made with tongues.  Yes, it is real, and yes, it is valid Biblically. I was also confronted with the presentation of "glossilalia" which is the term in Biblical Greek, when young. 

Yes, I was scared to death and steered wide around such assemblies for years.  Then 28 years ago, I was in a service and deep in the presence of God.  Suddenly, I could not control my words in prayer, and realized I was praying in tongues.  It was the most peaceful transition into God's presence I had ever felt, and still do speak in tongues.

I hope you will approach this with an open mind.  Yes, the gifts of God have been abused, but so also, have the things of man.  I will do a hub on the issue, if you like, and give the Biblical basis for the continuation of the gift.

1. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I no longer believe, but can still speak in tongues

1. profile image0

Ok, but please make sure there's an interpreter present first, before you demonstrate. I want to know what it is you're saying. In case, it's something important.

Thanks for posting. I've always believed atheists were on a level playing field with believers; as far as the spiritual realm is concerned. Living proof. That's what you are.

1. profile image0

there have been studies done on 'tongues' and it is learnt.  People use sounds from their own language.  It's nothing more than trance-like babbling

1. profile image0

That, I would believe. I'm curious as to what the ones who don't see it that way think. When my son was very young, during growth spurts, he had night terrors. I swear, he'd be going on about something, in what appeared to be another language before we could wake him up. It was unnerving at times. I can see how something like that could be seen in a different light. So, a part of me wonders if sometimes this tongues thing isn't a variation on whatever he was going through, just someone that appears to be awake.

2. Pakmara profile image53
                Pakmaraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so, have you met any people that understand this "speaking in tongues"? Or this is really just a senseless noise?

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
              Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

W. Joe, You have made a great point. The gifts of God is indeed peaceful when not abused.

3. soneblom profile image60
              soneblomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen W.Joe B. I find speaking in tongues comforting and I let the Holy Spirit completely take over, too many people want to see before they believe... we walk by faith and not by sight.. praying in the Spirit brings one right into Gods presence....

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From what I have learned over the years, there are two forms of speaking in tongues.

When the Apostles received the Holy Spirit, they began speaking to the people in tongues, and each person listening, was able to hear and understand in their own language tongue whatever the apostles were saying.

There is also a form of speaking in tongues received from the Holy Spirit, whereby a person will speak in the tongues of angels only to be understood by few people on earth, but totally understood by the angels of God.

1. mecheil profile image61
          mecheilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

does the bible point to any human who was able to speak in language spoken or understood only by angels? can you give any verse?

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The times I've heard it, it quenched the fire of the Spirit in me.  For one thing, it's usually not interpreted correctly as the Bible says it should be.  So no I don't believe it was legitimate.  Not saying it can't be.   But like you referred to it,  it was meant to reach people of other languages, rather like language interpreters can do these days in many instances.  It equipped the disciples with a talent for that purpose, to sorta jump-start the great commission.

There's also a "prayer language" that's unintelligible to others.  I've got nothing to say against that when it's used properly.

1. profile image0

So, if it's unintelligible, what do you think the point of it would be? To be honest, the whole idea makes me uncomfortable. It sounds kind of evil.

1. profile image0

The Bible says the Holy Spirit makes intercession for us when we're in need of it and can't find the words to express...

I don't find it evil at the core concept of it, because it is indeed in the Bible!  Just mis-used often as we're discussing.

The point a lot of times is to be seen as "Spiritual" and with power.  So, yes, it ends up being just....wrong, especially because it can disrupt a service by focusing on that person instead of on Christ.

...I've seen people supposedly prophesy in tongues on a regular basis, but the Pastor was the only person who "interpreted".   And actually, the Bible says whoever speaks in tongues should pray that THEY interpret.   So, in a church full of Christians, I think if there's only one person who ever interprets, then, yes, it's only a floor show, because that many Christians have a whole lotta Spirit amongst them and would be able to exhibit it if it was real.

...The people I've spoken to in the Apostolic churches and Pentecostal ones, have the idea in general that if a person doesn't speak in tongues, then they aren't filled with the Spirit, and perhaps not even saved at all.   And that's a load of ....well, ya know.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your thoughts. It isn't something I've ever put much thought into. The woman who said it broadsided me with the comment. I had honestly believed it was a myth Hollywood enjoyed perpetuating.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image63
            ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When, the Spirit is upon us we are pure spirit, and the body no longer controls us our awareness. it is pure spirit at work. so naturally the words that come out of our tongue will not be human words but words of the divine, unintelligible to others but understood by the spirit.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
              Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's only when I substitute the word 'spirit' for the word 'nonsense' does your post then make sense. smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63

you are not in on it. i was demonstrating how you can say one thing in two ways, using metaphoric and plain language. Unlike you, I know the difference.

You know the difference between spirit and nonsense? Do tell? smile

spirit=invisible force

nonsense=your words

2. Pcunix profile image92
                    Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let me guess:

Spirit is zero and your cat is an elephant.  That proves everything is wrong.

2. profile image0

Right.  I agree.  That's the prayer language between the person and God.
              But that's not the scenario of the usual "speaking in tongues" which was meant to allow a person of another nationality/speech to understand the Gospel in their own language.

...I didn't say speaking in tongues is invalid or wrong.  I just say it's usually unnecessary and sometimes chaotic when it's faked, and its usage often creates a source of pride by the user....

As far as the Spirit.....I've seen people filled with the Holy Spirit who would dance, shout, fall to their knees or to the ground, run, laugh, cry, etc.   People I knew were not faking it!  I've done some of those.   The day I became born again, it was like my feet went to the altar without my bidding and effort; there was a Presence so compelling and forgiving that it's indescribable.   I suppose people could stir themselves into a frenzy at the presence of an unGodly force, or a benign force too......Heck, they often do at football games, etc. ! LOL

So there's nothing shameful about being led or used by the Holy Spirit.  As far as being "pure Spirit"......I think that's impossible as long as we're alive on this earth.  We can exhibit the effects of the Spirit, and we can bask in the presence of the Spirit; but only in the afterlife will we be pure spirit.....and in the presence of THE pure Spirit if we go to heaven....

well heaven exists on earth, we just have to be aware of its presence overlapping our own mundane reality.

1. profile image0

Oh.  Tell me where to find this "heaven on earth" then?

Is it kinda like Sylvia Browne saying heaven is ..."about ..here.." as she motions toward the air about 4 feet off the ground...? roll

It is in between you and your relationship with G-d. You bring heaven down to earth, you embody it.

(but wait silvia brown said 4 feet above ground? really? I'm not familiar with her work)

2. profile image0
                    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

err, humans ARE  H-E...
                    It was initially expressed in the 2nd of Realities.
                    it was later exemplified post resurrection...

smile

James

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile My girl

hope all tis good

big_smile

3. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Consider the mechanics.  The realm of God is light and understanding and not mystery and bewilderment.  Tongues takes many forms.  The ability to learn and speak other foreign languages is a gift.  The ability to sit and listen is a gift of tongues.  To extend counsel to someone with just the right words is a gift.  Conjuring sounds that are incomprehensible to others is not of God and is built upon a frenzy created by adverse spirits.

Keep in mind that the adversary also has powers to mimic that which is good though it is not.

In the future just consider the outcome of these instances.  Do they help people help themselves or give them understanding into their own lives as God would have it, or does it live "in the moment" of dancing and frenzy without responsibility or positive affect on lives.

1. profile image0

That's a vey interesting take on it. I doubt I will ever see it, but it's a good thing to bring up if the subject ever comes up again.

1. goldenpath profile image67
          goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If one considers my take on the subject then you see it every day.  If one buys into the frenzy as some overriding governing power from above then probably not.

NOTE:  Say you have a child in deep distress.  After dealing with it for months as a parent you stepped back and approached the situation differently.  You sat, you listened and assured him or her that they are not alone.  You counseled them that you are there to support and help them.  You tell me.  Would this not qualify as a gift in tongues?  Language takes many forms. 

Instead of identifying this gift and all others as something for the dancing chapels look at the gift a different way.  Notice it in the simple things we see every day.  Effective teachers in the classroom struggling to improve their teaching abilities to affect the lives of students.  Doctors delicately informing a patient that they have cancer.  A father reading a bedtime story.

When one sees in such a way peace enters the heart.

1. profile image0

You're a very good person. Thanks for sharing that.

2. profile image0

You've hit the point in a reasonable, practical, common-sense way, and even (if I might be so bold as to say) a Spiritual way if the speaker is a Christian..)
            Because when we become born again, we speak with "new tongues" anyway, in effect; we become a "new creature" in Christ, focusing on the things of God.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Brenda, Well stated.

3. profile image0
            brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

goldenpath

1 Corinthians 12:8   For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

1 Corinthians 12:10   To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Ephesians 4:11   And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

My answer to you is that what you have talked about in no way approaches the gift of tongues. word of knowledge and wisdom perhaps but you are way off in another part of some distant arena again

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neither here nor there, but it is interesting to note that the early mormons spoke in tongues.

4. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This same question generated a quite chaotic funny thread some months ago.
      When these kind of threads had some fun...

1. profile image0

Hey, I am interested on what these people say, but I am easily side tracked by humor. Either way, this wil be fun.

1. profile image0
          zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    5. kess profile image60
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First off Speaking in toungues do not belong to those who believe they've got it.. That is the christian church as a whole.

Now speaking in tongues is the origin of all languages.
      And a languages is that which mediates understanding and ignorance...

Where there is understanding, tongues/language is  unneccessary....
      Where there is ignorance, tongues/languages should not even be present.

So in the purity of each state tongues should not even be...

Nevertheless to convey understanding  from one to the other tongues has become necessary.

So we see that the basis for tongues resides with the one with understanding an not the one in ignorance.

And if one must speak in tongues he must speak in a language that the other should understand..

And if he already possesses the understanding then the language/tongues is unnecessary so there is no need to speak to himself...

A man should not think to speak in tongues unless he is among those of a foreign language and in his speaking, in his mind he must have a specific understanding that he needs to convey...

And not from ignorance to ignorance as in not know what to say to not knowing what you say...

The enemy of man who is ignorance has made himself strong in this world by the use of knowledge...but by the false of it... which is still ignorance.

You need not leave hubpages to know this as true.

6. Mrs. J. B. profile image60
      Mrs. J. B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I want to say not that I am positive but Pentecostal teachings are the ones that speak in tongue. NO I have never heard anyone either but I know that it would make me uneasy at first.

7. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

linng:
      Minhgt bhinght,ingkkgtnjty!
      lnhsys junhy bhygghki lokju nh jugty los mlhnhyb,kiuytbg nuhgy hyatr?
      juhsyt enhusljg nshyt slpppjm! smile:
      So there!!!  wink
      Qwark

1. profile image0

Hey qwark. I didn't get that. Does that mean I'm not spiritual or something?

1. qwark profile image60

Yer not spiritually "in" man!
          I thought I expressed myself clearly and concisely!
          If ya didn't get it, become a pentacostal. A new world of communication will unfold before you! ...and "god'll love ya!  smile:
          Qwark

8. ceciliabeltran profile image63

Oh I've seen this, it seems like memes, mostly. They go on these deep meditation and collapse and they start warbling sounds from their mouths. I think they go on alpha states and because of the repetitive praying, they start to lose consciousness of how the words are coming out...hence speaking in tongues. They would normally control the warbling but since everyone is doing it, they allow themselves to behave this way.

9. profile image0

The fact that an interpreter was required, likely -very likely-- points to human languages.
      As also noted in the text, "spiritual tongues or groaning" are not at all understood.

My experience with Pentecostal (including assemblies of god) folk was in all points just babble, with no relevance.
      The entire purpose of tongues was to be able to communicate without language restriction for both the speaker and the hearer. The purpose of the interpreter was for the "third party" or others who could not understand the language being spoken (example: A Roman speaking Greek in Asia to a group of mixed persons).

And was also supposed to be for revealing things and edification.

James.

1. profile image0

Ok. That's, pretty much, what I thought it was supposed to be. Just couldn't have said it as nicely.

10. the pink umbrella profile image74
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i saw this at the school i went to. It was a penocostal (sp?) school, and when we had chappel, usually someone would do it, and someone would always do it in the church. No one ever interpreted anything for them, though. I was always wondering, why would god give someone that gift, no one can understand them?

1. profile image0

A pentecostal school? You have my sympathies. I was married to a guy who went to a catholic school. Parochial schools sound like hell on earth to me.

The tongues thing though, sounds like you've got the same take on it I would have if I saw it.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
        Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I was always wondering, why would god give someone that gift, no one can understand them?"

Indeed. I was under the understanding that the gift of tongues was so that the speaker wouldn't need a translator when talking to people who didn't speak their own language. Pretty cool miracle, if you ask me.

But the "speaking in tongues" we hear about today isn't so much someone who doesn't speak, say, French, or Greek, or Arabic, for example, suddenly be able to speak French or Greek or Arabic when they need to talk about God to someone who only speaks French or Greek or Arabic. It's someone who (generally) speaks only English, surrounded by other people who are perfectly capable of speaking and understanding English, and the speaker starts making noises that sound like gibberish to the rest of the assembled English-speakers, so that the speaker needs a translator to talk to other speakers of his own native language.

That's kind of the opposite of the Miracle of Pentecost, isn't it?

11. profile image0
      filmchick1987posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Speaking in Tongues is considered a way of connecting with the spirit of God. It isn't a scam, an exhibition or voodoo. It's just another personal way of speaking to God, which some people have and others don't. Just like some people have the gift of prophecy or healing in the church, some have the gift of tongues.

In my experience, it brings comfort and a deeper spiritual connection to God. I've never met someone who could interpret it, but in the Bible it says that interpretation is also a gift. I'd love to meet someone who has it!

It's not something to be afraid of, but I do understand it is unsettling if you've never experienced it yourself. It's not something that is 'natural'. Then again, what is?

12. mecheil profile image61

From what i understood about speaking in tongues in the apostolic days, people were able to benefit from them by understanding the actual words spoken clearly. Shouldn't the purpose of gift of tongues today be the same as that?

(somebody who said to me he was given the gift of tongue reasoned that he also benefits from it even without understanding..) I didn't really understand how that's possible.

Anyways, when I asked for any biblical support on that kind of reasoning, he simply said... "you won't really believe until you put faith in it."

Well, i won't believe until i get proof.

1. profile image0

Won't believe until you get proof?

EXACTLY. I agree completely.

13. BenWritings profile image64
      BenWritingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen it my entire life

It is definitely real. My mom has spoken in 3 different languages of tongues.

She only knows English.

It is a strange, and fascinating concept, but very real

2. fatfist profile image67
    fatfistposted 13 years ago

When I was in med school, one of our pre-residency program requirements was to attend a field trip to an Insane Asylum.

Almost all patients were speaking in tongues. This is perfectly normal for these types of folks

Perhaps there is an asylum near that church and an escapee decided to blend in with the congregation.

1. profile image0

lol

2. profile image0

when i went to a med school it sounded like most of the people there spoke some strange tongue.
      Perhaps med school people are really insane or does it just seem that way after they get out and start writing in tongues on prescriptions

3. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

I hate it when people start talking in tongues during the service.

It makes it so hard to pass the snakes around.

1. profile image0

Yes, I could see how that would be a distraction; yet perhaps, in your congregation's case the message is truly from a higher realm. It could be someone is trying to tell you passing snakes around is crazy.

1. profile image0

hehehehe

passing snakes around is unscriptural

1. profile image0

I know this. I was trying to be polite. I believe the guy was joking. I hope anyway.

1. profile image0

i know you know
            It comes from this verse
            Mark 16:18   They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

course one can never make a conclusion from just one scripture. Context is needed. This is a promise of protection not a command to tempt God

1. profile image0

Well, hopefully that type of behavior has shrunk to the point of only being practiced by isolated mountain people. I've never heard of it still being practiced today.

I personally believe the short ending to Mark is the only reliable one. It is, of course, just an opinion; so I wouldn't push it too hard with someone that believed otherwise.

4. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues was common in the church I attended growing up.  I truly believed that we were speaking a sacred language that only God could decipher.

Now I know that speaking in tongues is nothing more than a severe psychotic episode.  In other words, it's insanity.
    Seriously!!!

1. profile image0

Seriously. Not everyone that does this could be insane. I don't, personally, believe it. And it would seem to be impossible to me to determine if it was possession by friend or foe. I'm just curious why anyone would automatically assume this was a good thing when they see it happen.

I think I have a very good idea what your response will be, But please wait a day our two before you say it. I am curious about how people in this modern world could follow such an odd, in my I opinion, belief. I don't want you to scare them off.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now you know what I think of your beliefs. How odd is that? big_smile

1. profile image0

lol . I'm not sure what it is we're laughing at. But as long as we're laughing at me I can go along with it.

I do find this a bizarre topic. I doubt you and I would disagree on this one. Everything else? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

It is bizarre - I agree. But - no more bizarre than eating the flesh of Christ or claiming to follow some one whom it is highly unlikely even existed.

All I was saying is - this is how us thinking people view your beliefs.

You claim to be looking for insights as to how atheists think - this is one for you to ponder. As bizarre as you find this belief and practice - that is how bizarre we see your beliefs.

At least the talking in tongues and snake handling is biblically accurate. Not sure the same can be said for your beliefs.

1. profile image0

Ok. I see where you're coming from. I think the flesh of Christ thing is more catholic though. I always assumed it was done in memory of him, not a cannabalistic ritual.
              And I do see the inability to prove, beyond all shadow of a doubt, the existence of Christ as a stumbling block for some. But I don't know how to reconcile that. You can't know either way for sure and there is compelling evidence, in my mind, that the account is accurate. I'd be very interested in proof, either way.

But, the only place I remember this tongues think or passing snakes is mentioned is, I believe, at the end of Mathew, or maybe it was Mark. What I've read is that may have been added at a later date.

It is a Catholic thing - they believe the wafer is transformed into actual flesh. Some Protestant cults do communion as well - I can't remember whether they believe it is symbolic or actual. Probably the cause of hundreds of thousands of murders during a war over which is correct.

There is no compelling evidence at all - if there were, we would not even be discussing it. There certainly are no contemporary references to this person you claim to be following and - as far as I am concerned - any who follow as you do have completely misunderstood the message. "In your mind" is appropriate though.

I wasn't particularly interested in your justifications either - just explaining why us thinkers feel the same way about your beliefs as you feel about other people's. I feel sure the snake handlers and tongue talkers will offer exactly the same justification as you have just done. wink

1. profile image0

Hey, I thought you were ignostoc now. What is it with atheists? Nice one day, horribly serious and difficult the next? Yours is a moody mindset. I'm trying to keep up, but it is very difficult.

Aww. You say a belief is bizarre, yet when I explain the yours are the same I am being horribly serious and difficult. OK then. lol Guess you did not really want to find out how atheists think after all.

I am an ignostic. I still find your beliefs bizzaro.

2. profile image0

Hey, I didn't notice you called my beliefs bizarre.  My only response to that is lol lol

I was completely lucid when I laughed above. I think some of the atheist ideas are crazy too. Which is why I laugh at them sometimes.

Hmm. Not believing in an Invisible Super Being is the only atheist idea I am aware of. How funny that you laugh at them. Perhaps you could list 20 more which I have never heard of?

1. profile image0

Twenty? Ok. Let me think. I've only got two or three that come to the top of my mind. I'll answer that this evening after I've put some thought into it, but definitely number one on the list is that they take themselves way too seriously. I have never met a minidset more in the need to lighten up. You could work on that  in the interim.

2. profile image0

Hey Mark. I've got ten. I think twenty was a bit excessive, seeing as how I just found out you guys really existed about a month ago. But, I've been so less than Christian, on about every conversation I've had with you guys, I'll keep them to myself for a while. I've felt the wrath of the hornet's nest too recently.  Maybe later, when it calms down a little. I like the new you too much.

2. Pcunix profile image92

We'd just LOVE to know what "atheist ideas" tickle your funny bone.

Let's see: could it be the one about not believing impossible beings exist? Oh, yeah, that's a corker!

Or some of the other "atheist ideas" like.. like..

Gosh, I can't think of any more "atheist ideas".

1. profile image0

yes pcunix, exactly. That's why your belief is so flat and unbelievable. It is why that mind set will only be held by a small percentage. You can't think past that one statement

1. Pcunix profile image92

Oh, help me out.  Show me the "atheist ideas" that I can't see with my limited (not god-assisted) intellect!

By the way, are you REALLY arguing that because MOST people believe something it must be true? If so, you had better reexamine your belief system - isn't the Muslim faith the majority religion of the world right now? If not, it's Catholic for sure, so either way, you must be very, very wrong..

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Don't worry - education is slowly becoming the norm and religions such as yours are on the way out.

Let us hope (me) pray (you) they do not destroy us all before the door slams behind them. sad

3. Beelzedad profile image59

It is interesting that believers find so much humor in the presentation of reality and facts. I suppose to them reality is a crazy notion. smile

1. profile image0

No, that refusal to believe in anything else I get. It's the rest I find so humorous.

You mean, the refusal to believe things like unicorns and leprechauns or fairies at the bottom of a pond? lol

5. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Why kick against something you do not understand?  I have heard tongues many times in Church.  Some of it real and some of it is false.  The Holy Ghost, if He is in you, will let you know what is real and what is not real.

I suggest seek the Lord about it and let Him teach you.

1. profile image0

Sir Dent, I think you assume criticism, instead of the curiosity I have on this topic. Sure I am skeptical. It appears you are not. How do you know this is from the Lord? Wouldn't it be more reasonable if the'tongue' spoken was the common language of the congregation the miracle occurred in?

It just seems to me there is room for too much confusion on such a practise. I am seeking enlightenment. I would never belittle you for your answer. What you believe is well within your rights.

1. profile image0

If I were you, I'd remain skeptical.  If you want to see more of what pentecostals get up to, read my hub 'throwing out the baby with the bathwater'

All pentecostal churches are not the same. One can't slam all pentecostal churches in the same boat based on their own personal experiences in the past.

1. profile image0

are there pentecostal churches haven't done the speaking in tongues, deliverance (exorcism) etc?

Speaking in tongues in church is not abuse if there is an interpreter. What's wrong with deliverance? Exorcism does not take place in my church. I experience love and peace and nothing frightening and evil. It would have been great if you had the opportunity when you were a child to experience what true pentecostal services should demonstrate. The horrible things that you witnessed as a child at the church you attended should have never took place and it was out of the will of God. If I experienced it, I would have been traumatized also.

1. profile image0

well, it was not only the churches I went to - I found plenty of videos on the net of the same stuff, plus read many personal accounts.

Deliverance is casting out demons - how is that not the same as exorcism?   Those that have depression or question the teachings of the church are told they need 'deliverance'.

As for 'interpretation' - how does someone get a long translation out of of 'ba ba ba' & other repetitive syllables?  I've learnt a foreign language, & 'tongues' is not a sophisticated language - it's not much more than babble

1. profile image0

Now you know why the church is so powerless. Because of wrong doctrine.
                  There is no new thing in the bible. All the examples are there. Because people don't humble themselves before God and wait patiently for his gifts they hurry into error.
                  Whats the only bit of furniture not found in the temple? A chair. Why? Because the priests work was never done.
                  How time consuming was following all of Gods ways? Very time consuming

God was a lot of work then and He is now too. When He tells us to rest from our labors we do not get to bring a chair into the temple, we need to stay sensitive to the Spirit and sensitivity does not come by worldly pleasures.
                  Love the Lord God with ALL your heart, mind and soul
                  Ye cannot serve God and mammon
                  Come out and be ye seperate

There is a lot of the world in the church but that need not be the case in the individual life. Just because we see these excellent examples of what NOT to do, we can then steer ourselves from that and into a more excellent relationship.

On the last day nobody will be able to point a finger at someone else.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Hi baileybear, I understand you have found plenty of videos on the net and read many personal accounts, but you are assuming that all Pentecostal churches are participating in the same things based on other churches. I am aware of Pentecostal churches which doesn't participate in Deliverance ministry, and my church happens to be one of them. I really don't see anything wrong with people recieving deliverance and being set free from demons. I never stated that Deliverance is not the same as Exorcism.

1. profile image0

Hi Woc. The deliverance/exorcism thing makes me uncomfortable, but I have to say there is some evil that seems to appear in people, out of the blue, that makes me inclined to believe in possession.

well, sir dent like to think in terms of symbolic truth. that is his reality. he has a logic that is shared by many religious people and in cases like this, do we bother to speak in any other language than the language he is using. allow me to demonstrate.

6. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Yeah it is all learned, perhaps subconsciously for most. It's just a let go 'and let god' kind of thing. Anyone can do it. Babies do it all the time. Just vocalize your feelings without words. That's tongues, and/or the groanings of the spirit, and/or the language of the angels, depending on your sect or pastor.

Studies have concluded that the brain more or less lets go during glossolalia episodes, and that the meaningless utterances use the same syllables and grunts or whatnot as their church leaders. If these holies within the congregation should be exposed to say a traveling holy from another congregation who comes for a tongue-speaking good time at their church, then immediately that new holy's syllables, grunts and other angelic tongue-speaking sounds will be found incorporated into the church's glossolalia vocabulary.

Whatever codified grunt system is used, the vocabulary is always very limited, repetitions of the same short range of sounds, mixed willy-nilly, in ways that could never make sense in any language.

But then of course, it's a God thing, so.. you know.

1. graceomalley profile image84
      graceomalleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your description sounds like a very complex behavior. Social bonding experience maybe? The individual is doing something they don't understand logically. Sounds almost instinctual.

7. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues is discussed extensively in the bible, see Acts 2 Acts 10 Acts 19:1-7 1 Cor. 12
    1 Cor. 14 and don't forget 1 Cor. 14:39 That cannot be ignored or erased! Mark 16:17. One should be able to speak in tongues but should be followed by interpetation or someone will understand in their own language while it would sound meaningless to others. Gibberish and Devil Tongues are also prevalent but can be easily recognized or sensed. There are times when the speaking in tongues is used in prayer but this shouldn't be done in public. "

"For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also." 1 Corinthians 14:14-15

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well gee, if this old myth book says it, it has to be true!  Just like the part about women being silent in church matters.  lol

I wrote a hub about the women being silent in church passage. Most aggressively mistranslated passage i am aware of. Shows how translation (let alone theology) reflects prejudices.

Pretty sure it is all a big mis-translation. Why would this bit be any more or less nonsensical than the talking snake and the garbage about UNsaved v SAVED? Or speaking in tongues? Or coming back from the dead?

And you think this is the most mis translated passage? Oh wait - I bet some of it is real and the perfect word of god that you do follow. Brenda thinks the bit about divorce and living in sin after is nonsense, Sir Dent thinks killing is OK unless it is babies in the womb and he is right to judge others. Cousin Yochahan thinks it says to fight all the time and Catholics are not proper Christians.

Which bits do you think are the word of god? Everything except where it says women cannot preach, I suppose? There is a far simpler explanation. wink

If you know anything about the culture this was written in - you would know that women are to shut up when in the presence of men and walk behind them at a respectable distance when in public - I see them doing it today, so goodness knows how bad it was when the perfect word of god was being crafted. This  is probably the least mistranslated part of the bible. Oh dear.

I talk about a specific translation issue in the hub. It would take awhile to explain here, easier to just read the hub if you are interested.

I have read it. The specific issue of which you speak is probably the least mistranslated part of the bible. And certainly - "in context," makes perfect sense that a woman is not qualified to teach a man anything. wink

1. profile image0

Once again i hear a great flushing sound sucking credibility where it should be.

no morals
                none

2. profile image0

Just for the sake of (once again) disspelling the rumors you keep trying to perpetuate, Mark,  I'll say this---

I do not think it's "ok" to divorce and live in sin after.  I've never said that, that I recall, or anything that can be construed as such.   I just know that God is a merciful God when people REPENT of their sins.  Even Believers are human and fall into temptations sometimes.  Sometimes the actions of others, including our spouses, leave us with no good options, thereby putting us in predicaments where we're prone to sin.  These are not excuses, but they are reasons.  Doesn't make it right, and God chastises us.  If we repent and trust Him, He sets our feet back onto the path toward Him.  We are all still sinners, but ones saved by His grace.  We often still have to live with the consequences of our sins, even though in His eyes they're removed as far as the east is from the west.

As far as the beef you have with Sir Dent and the other Brother, I most likely agree with them on the issues you hint about.  They can either ignore your accusations or choose to call you out for 'em, that's up to them.   This time I've chosen to respond because I don't like seeing people spread unfounded rumors.   
            If it were up to you, Mark, I'd have a scarlet letter permanently seared upon my chest or head.  Whatever!    I'm very glad you're not my Judge.  My Judge is the Almighty, and he's got something you apparently don't----the willingness to forgive. 
            And something else He has that you don't----the authority to forgive.   You don't have that.  It's not you from whom I've even needed to ask forgiveness, ever!  It's Him.  For I've never wronged you.   I would suggest you re-think some of the things you learned from your past.....at least, I believe it's you who says you used to be a Bible believer?  If I've got that wrong, then correct my statment.   At any rate, if that's true, you've thrown away the wisdom that's offered to you, and for what meaningless purpose I cannot fathom.

So - it is "OK" then? As long as you repent. Is it "OK" that you murder some one as well? As long as you repent afterwards? I assume so - no wonder you are incapable of developing moral and ethical standards. You have no moral compass to guide you. sad

1. profile image0

Ah, Mark.  Ye have so little understanding! Or else...so much deviousness!  God knows which!

Bringing this back to the subject of the thread, I'll say......your persistent denunciation of the Faith and those who have it is.......almost enough temptation to make even the strongest Christian speak in a different tongue----one that would be outside the normal rules of appropriate conduct anywhere!  LOL
                But no dice. Nice try.
                See ya around.  Just try to stop spreading false gossip, purty please?  I did ask nicely, in case you noticed.  But do I expect you to actually do so?  Nah.  That would surprise me.  And that would be a miraculous thing, something separate from the usual boredom of your rants.   Something you would never ever in your whole life wanna do I'm sure.

False gossip? You are divorced and have since remarried. According to the bible - this is a sin. Or at least is it in my bible. I would not say a word apart from I see you all over going on about other people's sins and the evil they spread.

I am just pointing out the hypocrisy - that is all. I understand just fine thank you.

Brenda says above you used to be a bible believer. Somehow I missed that. Is it true? Would you mind saying for how long? Do you think of it as being a Bible believer, or a follower of Christ? How did you make the change to atheism?

2. profile image0

Hey Mark. Saying you're sorry isn't repenting. You know that. If a person is truly remorseful, of course they're forgiven. Whatever the sin, whatever the faith or lack thereof.

Don't be silly. There is no one to forgive them but themselves. How silly - why would you forgive some one because they are sad they dunnit? Forgiveness benefits the one doing the forgiving. No wonder your religion produces what it does. sad

And I never said anything about saying sorry. Didn't bother reading before commenting? No problem - I forgive you. wink

1. profile image0

Actually, I would disagree, but of that was all I had to say this would be a waste of a post. I agree with Brenda, in that she only needs to worry about whether she and God are on the same page.

That being said; if what is perceived as a sin is repeated over and over, you can't very well think you were remorseful or forgiven. If you don't change your behavior patterns when you recognize something as wrong, you are deluding yourself.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Interesting explanation. Of course, the serious flaw in your response is the fact that anyone can do anything they want and right it off as a "reason" as opposed to an excuse to do it. They then repent that sin and move on to doing other sins in which god will forgive them if they repent.

If you say your god is your judge, he may very well not agree with you considering that serious flaw.

Clearly, your response is an excuse to sin and never have to take responsibility for your actions. In essence, you have forgotten about any consequences when you released yourself from the sin. No gods have released you as yet from sinning. smile

1. profile image0
                SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not all will find repentance even though they seek it.  Esau sought repentance with tears and did not find it.  Judas Iscariot sought repentance and did not find it, yet Peter found repentance after denying Christ three times.

A person who sins willfully is treading on dangerous ground.

Possibly, but it is of no consequence to those who call themselves Christians and willfully sin whenever they want, knowing that if they repent they will be free to do whatever they want again. It is this teaching of repentance that does not allow believers to gain or achieve any moral or ethical values. smile

1. profile image0

Well said. Even if you are Satan's dad.

2. profile image0

"It is this teaching of repentance that does not allow believers to gain or achieve any moral or ethical values.

Once again you display your clear ill informed misunderstanding of being a child of God.

The child (for one day he will grow up to into adulthood with practice) stumbles over say pornography. Oft times he finds himself horny and comfies himself with viewing such abomination. Abomination the child of God knows it to be but with internet it is just so convenient. Perhaps he is unmarried and has been alone for years, and with becoming a new christian this pattern has yet to be broken for indeed fleshly vices are hard to discontinue. But each time the christian views, God is convicting him/her of this wrong. And IF the christian obeys God and crucifies his flesh into obedience to Gods teaching and reproval then God will move him/her onto higher levels of consecration. If the person does not obey and continues, thus hardening their heart and remains in this vice, God will not move them onward. This is called a wilderness experience and will last so long as the balances of disobedience lean toward the disobedient side of the scale. IF there is NO repentance for this sin (as is the trap quite often, the christian hardens his heart and fails to recognize that the boat has slipped its mooring and the person is drifting farther away from Gods ways and revelations (as often is the case with continued sin) then we will see a christian who is not following in the ways of God, is hypocritical and often quits christianity altogether at some point.
                    God is not mocked, christians cannot sin and get away with it, neither can the unsaved.
                    You are confused by what christians can do and cannot do. Christians like other people CAN do anything they want just as everyone else does. In fact christians come from the same background as the unsaved, which is doing what comes naturally and not contemplating their sinful lives, until God demands repentance (defined as turning around and proceeding in the opposite direction). Christians are not put in a box by God or programmed as a computer, the christians will is not blessed into obedience and perfection. We are not embued from above into a lifestyle free of sin. We are given the choice (its all about choice) to not sin. As we desire our lives to be changed - then and only then will God 'up us a level', but that desire has to be genuine, coming from within and not just lip service.

8. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues is common in the most ignorant churches here in the deep south.  A series of the same gibberish words used repeatedly but interpreted by the preacher to be a wonderful or tragic tale, depending on what mood the preacher is in. 

Since the speakers of such gibberish don't know what they are saying themselves, they cannot disagree with the translation.  A win-win situation for the showman minister and his agenda.  smile

It is entertaining in a "circus sideshow" kinda way.  But this is merely from the viewpoint of an actual witness to many such events.

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...speaking of tongues...these guys are grrreatttt!

http://www.ablazingly.com/posters/rolling-stones-tongue-357953/rolling-stones-tongue.jpg

10. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Sara Palin's old church in Alaska featured a lot speaking in tongues. It has opened her to a certain amount of ridicule. If she ever gets to be President, she could rehire Donald Rumsfeld. He always seemed to be speaking in tongues.

11. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

If the Lord sends a message thru some one speaking in tongues, before it happens, the entire church will fall silent.  You could hear a pin drop and there is a feeling of anticipation.  You know something is about to happen.  Then there is an interpreter. I have seen it happen.
    Speaking in tongues is a gift.  Just like any gift, a person has to accept it.

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So speaking in tongues is like the over sized sweater my grandmother sends me every xmas? A gift that doesn't fit and looks rediculous. I agree. Speaking in tongues is a way to convince ignorant morons that the super daddy in the sky has a cb radio and converses with the most ignorant percentage of the population. Kind of like aliens and big foot always meeting up with hillbillies or moonshine addicts, or republicans.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Name calling.  How adult of you.
        Just because ya don't understand something doesn't mean it isn't real.  I hear people speak in other languages where I work.  Sounds like jibberish to me, but, they understand.  As long as they understand, I don't have to.  If I need to know, some one will translate.
        Speaking of work, I got to go.
        Have a great day.

2. profile image0

thats odd the last oversized sweater i ever knew to edify a bunch of people was.... well...... never.  Your comment was like an oversized sweater that your grandmother sends you every year (why dont you tell her?)

somethings are not possible to compare.
        a gift of god and the wrong gift of a grandmother are a good example.

Since christianity takes a simpleton to join its ranks, i am thinkin stump we should be seeing you in church soon.

12. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

translation, you are in alpha states, your unconscious is moving your body as reflex. this produces a kind of trancelike feeling where your body's nerves experience jolts of impluses that you will not be able to control. the sounds ofcourse are by products of the impulses that ultimately relaxes your muscles, resulting in deep relaxation.

1. profile image0

no we are not in alpha states..

1 Corinthians 14:32   And the spirits of the prophets are SUBJECT to the prophets.

The word prophets means both to prophesy and includes speech inspired by God (tongues, word of exhortation and wisdom) We do not enter trances nor do our eyes roll round or do we get all weird.
      We hear what say but we receive each word as the other word goes out. There is no preplanning. Perhaps the first sentence is given but that's just to confirm that you have a word to give. The rest is unknown and the content revealed bit by bit. The person speaking can speak the word or refuse to speak it, can stop at any time (but usually doesnt until completion) When giving forth these types of gifts the speaker is completely aware.

Shown again and again and again to be nothing but nonsense babble.

1. profile image0

you speak of what you post

obviously
          I do not credit you with enough tollerance, understanding or patience to be able to grasp anything christian

I would appreciate in future if you just read what i wrote and did not bother to respond as your responses would show me again and again and again to be nothing but nonsense and babble.

Not a chance. I will always respond to lies.

Samarin found that the resemblance to human language was merely on the surface, and so concluded that glossolalia is "only a facade of language". He reached this conclusion because the syllable string did not form words, the stream of speech was not internally organised, and– most importantly of all– there was no systematic relationship between units of speech and concepts. Humans use language to communicate, but glossolalia does not. Therefore he concluded that glossolalia is not "a specimen of human language because it is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the world man perceives".

On the basis of his linguistic analysis, Samarin defined Pentecostal glossolalia as "meaningless but phonologically structured human utterance, believed by the speaker to be a real language but bearing no systematic resemblance to any natural language, living or dead".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia

1. profile image0

Romans 8:6   "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace".
                Romans 8:7   "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be".

i will always respond to the wrongness of the carnally minded as they feebly try to discern spiritual things.

Believe the discourses of a scientific linguist who is unsaved and is not christian nor has the spirit of God within him neither is baptized in the Holy Ghost, if you like BUT i will always believe the truth of Gods word and His holy Spirit.

as i have said before and i will say again for clarity sake. The pattern of receiving the Holy Ghost is to desire and wait:
              Acts 1:4   And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

the gift of tongues cannot be called down, it is a gift. Since a pattern of pentecostal church is to 'just speak it out' this is not a gift given freely but one wrestled from above, therefore, there will be utterances of people who being deceived into thinking they have the BHG, will talk gibberish as you have attested to and i myself have witnessed. When a person receives the BHG they will KNOW it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
              Good luck with this.
              I know you cannot and will not let yourself believe this because then you would have to acknowledge God exists.
              1 Corinthians 14:22   "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serves not for them that believe not, but for them which believe".

I would not know not having gone through it myself. I am merely trying to get a grip on what goes on in the body. As for the spirit, that is entirely subjective.

13. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

I truly do not see how it can get any plainer than invisible force.

14. DTR0005 profile image61
    DTR0005posted 13 years ago

If you look at it from a spiritual context, it is whatever you want it to be. I have heard it several times, been in a service where some break out in "tongues," dance, etc.

Linguists have studied this pretty thoroughly. And it doesn't meet any definition of natural human language. Having some training in linguistics (very little) it sounded to me like babbling. So scientifically speaking it is really just "hysterical utterances." But if you believe, you believe - it's a question of faith versus science.

Do you know any links, or books, that discuss linguists' studies of speaking in tounges?

1. DTR0005 profile image61
        DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes... there are two linguists in particular who have done serious research into this phenomenon. Felicitas Goodman who taught at OSU and then nearby Denison University in Ohio and William J Samarin, a linguist at the Univeristy of Toronto.
        Again, their research is based on pure science and not faith.So they will always be looking at this from a scientific perspective.  In summary, both linguists found that the speakers' native languages greatly influenced their utterances when "speaking in tongues." Goodman is now deseased. I am not certain about Samrin. I suggest trying internet searches with their name in parenthesis with the qualifier "linguist" or "linguistics." Of course you could also use "glossolalia" as a search workd modifier - that is the actual term for "speaking in tongues."
        Good luck.

2. DTR0005 profile image61

By the speakers' native language greatly influencing the utterances when speaking in tongues I should have explained it like this: every language has what is sometimes called a "phonemic index" or "phonemic inventory." This is "linguist-speak" for all the sounds that are contained in a particular language - vowels and consonants. Some of these sounds are shared across languages - such as the vowel "a." Some are not like the consonant "th" that we find in the English word "the." These linguists found that when say native English speakers were speaking in tongues, they used only sounds that were native to English. They found the same thing with Spanish speakers, Japanese speakers, etc.
        And one would expect that if these were really different "languages" believers were speaking while "speaking in tongues," sounds not native to English would pop up in their speach.  This wasn't the case.

Thanks DT, I'm finding this very interesting and this info gets me started.

2. profile image0

which is proof that it's all nonsense.  Anyone that has learnt a foreign language can hear that tongues is repetitive babble that they have all copied off each other

1. DTR0005 profile image61

Well "sense" is what the believer or non-believer makes of it. I don't see a rainbow in the same way as a fundamentalist Christian or Jew would see it. That doesn't mean the fundamentalists are "wrong" to believe the way they do.  I don't tend to slam other peoples' belief systems as long as they don't discriminate against mine.

2. profile image0

as to learning a foreign language.
            When people learn foreign languages few get it right off the bat. Few speak perfectly their new language as learning takes time and sometimes strange sounds and accents have to be applied that the tongue is not familiar with forming. (Chinese and the letter L for example) Middle eastern language is difficult to pronounce and takes some practice.

When the language of tongues comes to a person, it, like all spiritual gifts has to be practiced or used. When we were children our native language did not come easily and our first words seemed like weirdness. As we grew up we added new words to our language and increased our vocabulary.

With my personal tongues i have noticed new words and different inflections - a growing up process - as i went from a child to a more mature christian, my spiritual language grew up also.

brother, I agree.

15. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

There are 3 offices that Gods spirit functions in:

Where the UNsaved are concerned, Gods spirit functions to drag or draw them TO the cross that they might be saved.

Where the saved are concerned, Gods spirit dwells IN them

Where the baptized in the Holy Ghost are concerned, Gods spirit is UPON them to enable them in a powerful way.

Yes there is a language of tongues that is quite foreign to this world and is NOT a language of this world that Believers acquire when God baptizes his Spirit upon them.

I need not go into scripture, this is just fact.

I will say, that the scriptural pattern for receiving the baptism in the Holy Ghost is to desire and wait (as the apostles were told to do prior to acts chapter 2) The problem with pentecostalism is that their pattern of receiving the HG is to "just speak it out" (you are already saved, now just speak it out). This is incorrect and as a result of this 'dragging' the gift of God out of heaven what is heard is just garble and blabber. The true baptism of the HG cannot be dragged or demanded, as with all gifts, God appoints the time, hence the pattern is desire and wait. So you may see many youtube videos and think "oooh that sounds like a bunch of noise or jibberish and you would be right", the language of heaven or angels as Paul puts it is powerful and somewhat pleasing to the ear.
    Also i wish people who are baptized in the HG would keep it silent in the church. You may be elated and excited but the pattern, (there are always patterns) is to keep tongues silent in the church unless it is being used for the edification of the body of Christ, always with an interpreter as per 1 corinthians 14:5,6,18.

"I need not go into scripture, this is just fact."

No it isn't.  There is no such language, there is only gibberish.  Prove your "fact" if you dare.

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you can't refute the book of Raviolations in the book of FSM:

10.Then the fifth pirate poured out his bowl on the big chair of the president. Darkness came over America, but that's because it was about three AM. It'd be pretty freaky if it were light at that time, you know? Again, I digress. So the people of America bit their tongues 'cos they had a bad dream about biting their tongues, 11.and they cursed 'cos it hurt. but they did not turn because they didn't move around in their sleep that much.

Ramen

Cheese!  What a saucy response!  lol

2. profile image0

dear randy
        As you may know i do not delve into depths and nor do i waste time to  twist  nonbelievers arms. My words go out to those who know and understand. As for the rest of the "wanna be deserving of huge amounts of attention", I say go back to church and do it right this time.

There are clues in my post that you may look into and that's the way i like it, uh huh, uh huh, that's the way i like it, uh huh.

If you are disappointed i did not take up your dare, well, i am disappointed many are not saved.

feel free to phone a pentecostal pastor if you dare.  smile

3. profile image0

yes, that claim of fact leapt out like a swollen tongue

1. profile image0

as did i think, your hasty reply.

16. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I do like to picture you as a "tinkling cymbal" Dent!  LOL!

just_curious - the fish have arrived. These are the ones you need to be talking to about their bizarre beliefs.

They are from the country. big_smile

1. profile image0

I can't.I'm scared of him. He thinks I'm wicked.

3. profile image0

Sir Dent, I think therein lies the problem. I assume you are quoting King James. That translation was into what was the vulgar tongue of that  generation. It does not equate to the way we speak or think today. Therefore you have a great deal of differences of opinion on the meaning. Read a new living translation. These are done by unbiased commitees of scholars and theologians who attempt to help us see the meaning more accurately.

My translation has no reference to 'tongues' in any way at that passage.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

KJV:  Mat 27:46  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

ASV:  Mat 27:46  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

ISV:  Mat 27:46  About three o'clock Jesus cried out with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?", which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

LITV (literal translation):  Mat 27:46  And about the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani; that is, "My God, My God, why did You forsake Me?"

Let those who have an ear to hear, hear what the spirit has to say.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with the question?

Put in words you might understand: is it not possible that, by misunderstanding the meaning, and subsequently sharing this misunderstanding that you are contributing to the difficulty a non believer has with the idea of Christianity?

To lead another astray is one of the worst sins. You need to be sure of your words before you speak. This is one reason I would never push my faith as if someone should follow my idea of what is right. I could be wrong, as could you.

2. profile image0

the king james does not speak from the vulgate. the septuagint and vulgate and catholic choices.
        the king james used the masoretic texts of the OT and the received texts of the apostles.

1. profile image0

Sorry. You are right. I was in the middle of something and I shot that back. I get feted to easily and don't swype we'll when I'm irritated.

1. profile image0

you seem irritated a lot lately

1. profile image0

better than being irradiated

smile

2. profile image0

Yes.I do. I apologize. It is simply that absolutes irritate me. I see so much good, in so many of the posts on this site, yet everyone seems afraid of the thought of anyone with a concept of God. I find some concepts God somewhat ridiculous myself, but that does not make God ridiculous, our impossible. Sorry if I have snipped at you on some of the threads. I'm better now, I think. big_smile

Yes, any concept of a god is ridiculous and impossible.  You simply refuse to accept what your brain is trying to tell you.

I give about a 50-50 chance of you becoming a fundie or a bitter atheist.

1. profile image0

lol I doubt I will ever find a way to stay bitter, on a daily basis. Bitter people don't have fun do they? I like to laugh. Could you throw out a few other options for me to consider? Thanks, in advance, for the help. I'll owe you one.

Oh, I think you would be bitter, because you would understand how much of your life was wasted with your delusion.

I never had any delusions, so had no reason to feel that way, but anger and bitterness is a common trait among late converting atheists.  It's not absolute of course, and it is not the only cause. My wife hates religion because she was forced to live with it against her will for so many years.  I was exposed, but not forced, so didn't learn to hate.

But yes, if you ever become rational about religion, I think you might be bitter.

the brain generated "god" for an important adaptive reason. that much we can be sure. Nothing human is random. They arise as responses to the environment. The environment necessitated the need for G-d. Perhaps to alleviate the fear of death, in order to deactivate the reptilian brain in order for the prefrontal cortex, the smarter of the two to compute the best survival behavior.

This is a collective direction, with some samples straying from the general trend. These samples who have less efficient survival/social/cognitive will be unable to mate, grow old without passing on their genes and will eventually die out genetically.

How long have we been worshiping gods, PC? And prior to buildings what were the tallest structures built by man...you don't know?
                  Churches. As a matter of fact, the development of human art and architecture centers around religion. It changed us from primitive hunter gatherers to civilized people. Yes, there were wars, but wars existed in less organized ways before religion.

the concept of gods/god is part of our evolution. It is not poppycock, or what do you call it gobledegook. It is an ingenious adaptive behavior. Only man, worships a Divine. why? because only intelligent species can comprehend what it is.

We have no idea if other animals believe in nonsense.   As usual, you babble nonsense.

Belief doesn't create reality.

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...and...

...".When our Lord predicted the gift of tongues (the only mention of tongues in the four Gospel records) He said, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues” (Mark 16:17)".......

big_smile....... big_smile....... big_smile

1. profile image0

and even those who spoke in tongues and cast out devils, I will say, "Get from me, I know you not!".

1. W. Joe B. profile image60
        W. Joe B.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would you like to inform us of where that passage is?  My Bibles (and I have multiple translations) say nothing about tongues in that passage

1. profile image0

prophecy is tongues : for the purpose of tongues is for revealing and edification of hidden things to the believing and a witness/sign to the unbelieving -in this case- the use of multiple languages to share the mystery with everyone, as occurred at "Pentecost".

In is in contrast to Mark 16
          "And these signs shall follow them that believe;

In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues".

James.

18. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

...i found something else too...

"Justin Bieber - Speaking In Tongues Lyrics

Alrite..aha...yeah
    Speaking in tongues
    yabba dabba dabba da da daVoala..Im killin this … caca
    Call up Lady Gaga..on my..on my telephone
    Hella dome..yeah..my girl beats..no metronome"

big_smile......big_smile.......big_smile

19. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I've spoken in tongues before during a few very moving experiences, but they had nothing to do with church.

You were moving too fast!  lol

1. profile image0

as did your reply  smile

20. profile image50
    lookingaheadposted 13 years ago

Being a minister. But not one with all the answers. I will answer the best I can. When we go back and read about pentecost-remember it was early in morning, some thought they were drunk at that early hour--but---people started coming forwards saying that is my native tongue in numerous forms. It was very mistaken, misunderstood,etc. My belief from my readings/studies. 1 Corintians 13 and 14 it gives detail instructions how to deal with. Remember that NOT everyone is to have this gift-Bible says it is the LEAST of the spiritual gifts.Better to be a teacher or prophesy,etc than this. Another thing if there is utterance as it is commonly called there will be a proper time not an interruption of service as I have seen. But usually the Pastor/Shepherd will announce that feels that someone has a word or prophesy to share. Now should someone speak and there is no one to interpret-they are to be admonished and ask to sit down. Never/ever will same person speakt and translate-never/ever!! Now here is my belief that there will be someone in congregation that knows that language-remember this in chapter 14 is for the UNBELIEVER not the believer. There will also be another to interpret. Case in point I have heard many that I was suspicious of. But Grandmother shared one time with me- A person got up at appointed time and spoke then someone else interpret then sat down. The pastor was about to dismiss service. When a distinguished looking man stood up requesting the pastor permission to speak. He explained that he was visiting that day but he was really from a not familiar region of Mexico. He testified that the person speaking and the person interpreting wer exactly correct. It was in a language he knew and he heard HIS language. This is what I believe is a true speaking in tongue. Someone will know and recognize! Now prayer language in your prayer closet that is entirely different. But I believe it will be a soothing,prayer or praise/worship, many discribe it as an HEAVENLY language. Prophecy is something else! I have witnessed first hand. A service has been in praise n worship for over 2 hours. The pastor got up to podium and was praising GOD as all could feel the presense of the Spirit. He was praying to see God even more and be clser to HIM. Suddenly, he mentioned someone had a word(propecy)a lady started speaking. She mentioned to the pastor-"you do not know how soon you will see my GLORY and me even more." This is brief of all that was said. He found out within a month he had full blown cancer-almost 9 months to the day he saw GODS glory and presence. Do not downplay his cancer that God did not love him, etc. But rather the prophetic word was true and HE prayed for it. Folks, I want to recommend a very profound book I recently read-the boy who came back from heaven-kenneth malarkey. This book lifted my spirit greatly recently. If you read do not skip to the back. Read it slow and absorb what is said if it does not cause a tear here or there I think you are getting it. Thank You

1. profile image0

Thats nice. The correct reading of the scripture is ... "how be it we HEAR everyman in our own language".  This does not mean the speakers spoke in everymans language but that they HEARD. Put yourself a short distance away in a room of many people all talking at once and you can understand nothing because you hear all the people in the room at once. With tongues there is always an interpreter and in the pentecost case, God interpreted the angelic tongues to the listeners.  If they were speaking say perfect earthly languages, how would anyone say that "they are drunk", but because they were speaking in tongues, an angelic language, they said they are drunk.

21. profile image50
    lookingaheadposted 13 years ago

Sorry< I have to post this. It is 3:15 am. Outside this crazy rooster/roosters are crowing like crazy. I know they are speaking to me-YuP! U Right time to go to bed. I surely hope none of my neighbors are getting up when I am going to bed. Here's your sign!(This is for real and only a joke).

22. JSAlison profile image60
    JSAlisonposted 13 years ago

In many South East Asian countries you will find sects that love to go into altered states of consciousness. They might fast before hand. Then there is the dreary, endless chanting,the twitching,the driving of spikes through the flesh, the fire walking etc. It is colorful but ultimately pointless.

Someone talking in tongues or in any altered state of consciousness can impress the credulous but they have nothing to say.

Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

speaking of spikes being driven thru flesh, do you know how jesus checks into a hotel? he hands the night clerk three nails and asks them if they can put him up for the hight.

23. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

My ex wife loved it when I spoke in tongues. She couldn't climax any other way. Hooba Booba see leckticom itis. off again off again stupid crpitis. Try and explain to me how anyone who pretends to make sense of that has a clue about anything other than really good drugs and the accompaning pleasures involved

Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

The best people at speaking in tongues are lesbians and that has to hurt if you are a holier than thou christian

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

...Bugs Bunny and Elmer fudd also teach "glossolalia" when they're not making movies.
      They're both gettin' kinda old. They may be retired and not taking new students.
      Check "Google" for their availability.
      Qwark

1. profile image0

Hey qwark. Love your posts. I want to be you when I grow up. You're a funny guy.

1. qwark profile image60

Curious:
          lolol
          I know that was tongue-in-cheek, but hey, when and if ya do get "older" ya can't BE me , BUT, ya can BE like me and that ain't bad!
          'Course that's just my opinion and ya know what I think opinions are worth...smile:
          Qwark

2. profile image0

Ecclesiastes 2:2   I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What does it?

1. profile image0

Luke 7:34. One should follow the example of the One determined to be worthy of being followed.

The kingdom of God is among us. It has been since the resurrection. If you use the Old Testament for your world view without letting the message of the New Testament sink in first, you've lost the message. In my opinion.

1. profile image0

if you want to grow up like qwark its you who have lost the message
              And since all the lolling was goin on. I just wanted to point out that this type of conversation is vanity and amounts to nothing.
              That was my message

as for the OT and NT
              the scriptures cannot be broken
              i include both

1. profile image0

Lucky you, that you feel sure enough of your understanding to chastise others. I leave judgement to God.

I love watching Christians argue over imaginary things.

"No, what YOU believe isn't true!"

"Wrong, you aren't following God's teachings!"

"No, you don't understand the word of God!"

You guys are so funny.

1. profile image0

As long as we keep the foundation intact, then we have the opportunity for "iron" to "sharpen iron", and we grow in knowledge and wisdom.  So, debate is sometimes a really good thing.
                    Nice to see an unbeliever like you finds it interesting.

Not interesting.

Amusing. 

"My Make Believe Friend talks to me!"

"No, He does not!  I know what He want and you don't!"

3. PRECIOUS2011 profile image55
      PRECIOUS2011posted 13 years ago

SIMPLY MEANT, IN EACH ONES OWN NATIVE LANGUAGE. ACTS 2:1-4, WHEN HOLY SPIRIT WAS POURED OUT UPON THE 120 DISCIPLES. EACH ONES WAS ABLE TO SPEAK IN TONGUE. KEEP READING, THEY ALSO DEPARTED, SO INORDER FOR THE GOODNEWS TO BE CARRIED, EACH HAD
      TO CONVERSE IN HIS NATIVE TONGUE(LANGUAGE).  ALSO, REMEMBER WHAT THE APOSTLE PAUL STATED"IF I HAVE GIFT IN TONGUE AND NO ONE UNDERSTAND...I HAVE BECOME A CLASHING SOUND OF CYMBALS. SO, YOUR OPINION IS IMPT. IF NOT WE, WOULD NEVER HAVE SUCH WONDERFUL SUBJECTS 2 ELABORATE ON.

1. qwark profile image60

Precious"
        Typing in all caps is screaming!
        Damn I hate a screamer!
        I'm gonna add you to my list of those not to respond to.
        Aarrrgghhhh!sad:
        Qwark

2. profile image0

Paul has a gift of tongues and no one understand it, what profit it?... exactly.. that is why in the next verses the context is revealed and it means if there be no interpreter in the church to interpret the angelic language, what profit has it.. Tongues is not a permanent language it is used when the spirit prays directly to God or in a church function of edification with interpretation. 
        1 Corinthians 14:14   For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my SPIRIT prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. When the followers were filled with the holy Ghost then the began to speak in other tongues. Are we seeing the picture here folks. Acts 2:4   And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the SPIRIT GAVE THEM UTTERANCE.
        1 Corinthians 13:1   Though I speak with the tongues of men and of ANGELS...

4. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I speak in tongues all the time while I'm asleep. This, of course, is caused by one of my spirit guides who happens to be Hungarian. Now, how cool is that?! I speak Hungarian in my sleep?!!! big_smile

1. profile image0

Is this true? Or are you joking?

I'm afraid she's serious.  roll

1. profile image0

This place is so cool. To find there are people more out there than I am. It's very exhilarating.

You thought you were alone?  No wonder you feel exhilarated.  Actually, all the rest of the posters are me too.  Yep, there are only two of us left.  smile

1. profile image0

A man of many faces. Very impressive, unless you're simply schizo. Which, judging by some of your posts as your alter egos wouldn't seem too off base. big_smile

You really are just curious, aren't you?  Schizo is as .....lol

1. profile image0

lol lol I am humbled by your perceptive post. I thought I was simply ludicrous.

2. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is true.

1. profile image0

So, do you record it, then have it translated? This is very odd to me. I've never heard of such. What does the voice tell you?

1. profile image0

I'vr never recorded it and I don't hear any voices. I just speak in a different language while I'm half asleep. It's no big deal.

1. profile image0

Well, if it was me I'd be horribly curious to know what it was saying. Your Hungarian friend might have some wisdom to impart.

1. profile image0

Lol I'm sure she does! She's a pain in the butt!

2. profile image0

Thats interesting... if you are asleep how do you know its hungarian? And how would the person who told you know it was hungarian.

and how are you edified by this event? and what is the work of the spirit guide that possesses you in yoiur sleep and makes you utter words that no one understands.... If a spirit guide were to guide this lack of understanding the words and clarity of path kinda makes the guidance moot.

1. profile image0

I had a Hungarian boyfriend at the time. smile I, myself, have never learned the language. According to him, it seemed like an old dialect, not the Hungarian that most people speak now. It's all very strange and I don't try to figure it out. Sometimes, it's best to let things be. It's a spirit guide. Maybe she was trying to communicate with him at the time. Who knows! It still happens from time to time. It's no biggie. smile
          So good to see you smiling, brother! wink

3. Beelzedad profile image59

Is your husband Hungarian? Who is there to confirm that it is in fact the Hungarian language you are speaking? How do you know your doing it if you're asleep? smile

1. profile image0

Why do you ask? Can you translate it? wink lol

5. soaps profile image60
      soapsposted 13 years ago

Speak in tongue is a language of the angels
      you cant explain that is a celestial send by god
      I grown up on a Christian Faith , my church nobody ask for money
      or recive any money to preach. I'm just tell you the true isint a translation for that, and is not for all maybe in a 1000s of people who goes to the church every week 2 spoke on tongue ones.
      That think no happen every day . check out on the Christian congragation in USA

6. cindyvine profile image70
      cindyvineposted 13 years ago

So if you can't speak in tongues are you classed as being tongue-tied?

7. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years ago

My computer has been talking in tongues the whole day.
      muttering in TCP, switching to UDP...
      Got me all confused.
      So, I installed a packet sniffer.
      Maby the equivalent of a packet sniffer exists to help understand people who switch protocols, like described here in this post.

8. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

When I was a young boy, I first attended a pentecostal church where they "spoke in tongues", and I thought that they were crazy. Although, after reaching adult age, and personally studied the bible, I acknowledge that it was not crazy.
      After studying psychology in college, and researching the human mind, I realized it was a very helpful thing to speak in tongues.

Our first reaction to what we have spoken is only the beginning; it continues into our deeper mind and into our subconscious where it continues to interact in a dynamic way to bring the best life decisions to the person's life.

It's what comes back that is important. We get feed back from our inner mind prioritized by the urgency; as the urgency lessens we get truths from deep parts of our subconscious.
      The capacity is incomplete unless God is consider firstly and always, and the Lord is our spiritual guide, the ship sailing to and fro.

We think that the connotation of the words comes after the words are spoken, but this is not true. The connotations comes first from our subconscious mind and into the conscience mind which has depth leading into our brain which is a relay of facts that we take as true. By speaking in tongues, we feel our emotions without reasoning nor logic which blocks us from receiving inner truths that the mind has actively prepared for the brain in which words are associated with the connotations (feelings) (the potentials). For one to speak in tongues allows God to give His reply. The proof is in the puddling; the individual receives and knows.

One's brain short circuits and relays info back to meet demands that have been established such as the procedure to cook a certain dish. It's based on successful facts, but is only a small part of one's mind.

wilmier's, I agree with you. smile I think it's natural for anyone to believe speaking in tongues is crazy when they don't understand what it is all about. Some are quick to say it's crazy and wrong just because it sound like babble to them.

Not sounds like babble: analyzed and proven to be babble.

Gullible theists, what else is new?

More name calling? I forget you are unable to refrain from childish name calling. Where did you recieve the proven information speaking in tongues is only babbling? We will be awaiting your response.

All of the other gods said so!  smile

1. profile image0

Hey Randy. Those might just be voices in your head. You should probably have that checked into.

What?  Unless you believe in my gods you will be in torment for 1000 years!  My gods Moe, Larry, and Curly don't make their dependents suffer for eternity, they are more civilized than yours!  smile

1. profile image0

Well, I don't know about that. 1000 years of having my nose pulled and head slapped might feel like an eternity in hell. I suppose if your scripture says you get a free calendar, to mark off the days; one might argue the point of their civilized nature. smile

9. wilmiers77 profile image60
      wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

pcunix, who proved it to be only babble? Was it the person speaking in tongues and another believer? Nonbelievers know nother of the spirit. They are spiritually dead.

10. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues is all a lot of humbug, sorry to be blunt.

The first time it happened was when people from around the Galilean Sea and beyond were assembled and the apostles started their sermons in various languages that were spoken in the area, the assumption being that there would be people in the assembly who spoke those languages.

The languages were not GIBBERISH like the ones spoken now.

AND, the speaker had to give the meaning in the local language.

Does this happen now?

11. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 13 years ago

The first time someone suggested that I should desire to speak in tongues, I also thought they were loony and resisted the whole concept, but I did at some point find that the Holy Spirit led me to speak in tongues.

Point is, scripture allows for believers to speak in tongues:

Acts 19:5-6(Amplified Bible)

On hearing this they were baptized [again, this time] in the name of the Lord Jesus.

And as Paul laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them; and they spoke in [foreign, unknown] tongues (languages) and prophesied.

And frankly, I want EVERYTHING that God gave us to fight against the enemy and reach a dying world.

Oft-times I have been unable to pray constructively, heavens like brass and unable to break though, and at those times I have spoken in tongues, and then found that my prayer became directed, focussed and precise.

1 Corinthians 14:2

For one who speaks in an [unknown] tongue speaks not to men but to God, for no one understands or catches his meaning, because in the [Holy] Spirit he utters secret truths and hidden things [not obvious to the understanding].

Whenever I have broken into tongues, I have broken through to God and found that the right words to pray were given to me, words of power and strength, that defeated whatever needed to be taken down.

Romans 8:25-27 (Amplified Bible)

But if we hope for what is still unseen by us, we wait for it with patience and composure.

So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.

And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will.

Do I say that all tongues spoken in churches are real, absolutely not, much is for effect and that is a by product of Churchianity, but does that make tongues wrong, also absolutely not, and I have seen the evidence that supports the speaking in tongues, and the confusion spread amongst the enemy when one does.

Hi aqua, Thank you very much for explaining in great depth. You hit the nail on the mark! God bless you.

12. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

lol
      So cool!

"prayer circles" and tapioca pudding!  Beelzedad does NOT know what he's missing!  Seriously.

For crying out loud, Brenda: you never said there would be pudding!

Make it chocolate and I'm in.

1. profile image0

Wow, you're easy! 

Welcome aboard. wink

I sure wish it was that simple...

Well, I do like chocolate pudding..

My poker friends joke about getting me a special present. My special day starts with a prayer breakfast with some football team (I detest pro sports).  In the afternoon I'm whisked by helicopter (screaming all the way - I'm afraid of heights) to a Republican fund raiser and then off to a Tea Party rally just before dinner. 

Dinner is a thick juicy steak and lots of booze.  Of course I go hungry and thirsty.

I asked them if I could possibly get chocolate pudding so I would not hate the entire day.  They said OK.

I'm thinking maybe the pudding would be worth it..

1. profile image0

ROFL
              Sounds heavenly to me!

Except for the plane trip...I'm afraid of heights too.  And I get motion-sick anyway.   So I don't get to attend any rallies etc. unless they're very local.  If it weren't for that, I might be an activist force to be reckoned with! ha.
              As it is, I just reel in people like you who cross my path,  with buckets of chocolate pudding!

Ayup. It would be a great day for most of them, too.  I'm sure that's why they keep saying they'd like to send me on it smile

breadpudding in wholefoods with caramel sauce. try it.

I don't like caramel, but we do have an old family recipe for chocolate bread pudding that we make once a year.

Yumm smile

It is. lol

Cep'n you went fer "divorce" 'stead 'a' "chocolate"

Same thang................. sad

1. profile image0

Hey Mark.  You seem like the guy to ask.  You're always ready to share the atheist views.  Is there nothing sacred?  Do you guys have any mottos like Christianity does, like, I don't know, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'? 

I'm just curious, after reading your post to Brenda.  Thanks, in advance, for the info.  I'm exploring my options and it's important to know how the other side feels about being sensitive to others. That's an important consideration when considering one's options on a religion.

That is what I am doing. I am doing unto others as they seem to want to be done to. I thought you would understand that. No? Dammit - I thought I was being clear. I keep forgetting you religionists do not do irony. The gene seems to be missing. wink

One day - you may understand, but it seems the absolute position you have chosen is preventing you from seeing anything other than your narrow view. Why people choose to close themselves in little boxes like this is beyond me. sad

1. profile image0

Mark, settle down. I know you said there was a history. I don't know it, and I'm sorry to say I find the posts by the atheists too interesting to spend a lot of time reading others.

I just cannot imagine how difficult divorce might be for someone. I would think it would be something I wouldn't want to talk about.

I apologize. I was feeling somewhat froggy last night and may have posted without considering how you would react. I am inconsiderate that way sometimes. I didn't mean any harm.

No harm done. Not sure why you think you need to apologize. Nor did I react badly. Unless you did not read what I wrote? Or did not actually want an answer? Most likely the latter I guess.

Sorry I made you so angry. I understand why you get so angry and did not mean to provoke you. I will try not to do so in future. sad

1. profile image0

I'm not angry Mark. Far from it. The box you imagine me in is big enough to let me want to be courteous. Thats all.

I read your post. I always do. You are highly entertaining, sometimes informative, always somewhat disdainful. As are most of the atheist posts. I feel that my posts to you guys go unread. But that's to be expected, I guess. It's hard to balance disdain and interest. Darn near impossible I would imagine.

2. profile image0

I just now found this; whoopie, aren't I blessed?! roll
              Let's hash this out again; I'll meet ya out back and we'll fight it out. LOL.  Put up yer dukes! Put 'em up. I say I say put 'em uuuupp!  (Was that the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz? or Snagglepuss?)  wink
              Disclaimer---I'm JOKING.

It ain't the same, Mark.
              Chocolate pudding adds pound to yer belly.
              But divorce adds memories of the past that never completely go away.  The after-effects, consequences of sin sometimes follow a person for life, even after it's forgiven.  But I can't keep looking back at something that God has chosen to remove from His sight; othewise I'd never be able to keep walking with Him.  If a person repents, God meets us at the point of our need, to help us move on, over and above and past our sins, to not only grow in Him but to be a witness to others that it's possible to be a forgiven child of God.  All sin is forgiveable, even murder, etc., except for the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. Whether you acknowledge or understand that or not depends upon your willingness to acknowledge and understand it.

Sometimes the walk with the Lord is a progressive thing.....We slip and almost fall, but we get back up again.
              And the things we speak become more and more focused on things of God.
              I used to take divorce more lightly.  I was rebellious and confused and hurting.  As I've said before, it doesn't make it right; sin is sin.  But if I were to follow your line of thinking, nobody at all would have the opportunity to be forgiven for their sins.  I'm glad God is a good God, unlike most of mankind.  We are such sinners!  Rotten to the core, it would seem.  Why He Loves us so much is beyond humanity's capacity to really understand.  I just know He says He does, and I believe Him.  I grew over the years (well, my waistline grew 'cause of all that tapioca pudding! lol).......but I grew up spiritually.  The things that used to come into my mind and out of my mouth have changed gradually to me speaking with "a new tongue"....I'm a new creature in Christ.  Still fallible. Still so imperfect.  But a vessel for the perfect God.

Claptrap - you took the easy pill - same as the chocolate. That is all.

If there was a god - he must be everything - good, bad and indifferent - like wot your bible sez. wink

There is nothing spiritual about you whatsoever. Nothing. You are the same old Brenda - but you swallowed the easy pill and think you are good to go.

If your religion and beliefs did not cause so much conflict - it would be a shame. sad

1. profile image0

There's something "spiritual" about everybody.  It just depends on which "spirit" ya adhere to....or let adhere to you....
                  I'm not claiming to be anymore Spiritual than any other Christian.  I'm simply claiming the Holy Spirit as mine!  He dwells inside all Christians.  And HE claims US.  We are bought for a price--the price of His blood.

Claptrap?
                  Hey, that's a new one; I hadn't thought of it yet.  I might start using that instead of "hogwash" and "carp"!.   Ron will be just as delighted as you!  big_smile

I see - you think YOU are separate from the rest of US because you took the easy pill. As I said - it would be sad if your religion did not cause so many fights. sad

Claptrap seems appropriate. big_smile

1. profile image0

I've decided upon "malarkey" instead.
                      That rolls off the tongue with more of a spark. wink

2. Beelzedad profile image59

How sad is that when it's forgivable to go out and kill people but not forgivable to utter blasphemy. These are the kind of teachings that cause believers to go out and do whatever they want, kill, maim, rape, pillage, burn, etc. and they will be forgiven, no problem.

For a non-believer, these kind of moral and ethical values would never make it. There is no problem uttering blasphemy, considering believers utter blasphemy all the time, to other gods they do not believe. However, murdering is not something easily forgiven, if at all.

Please show us a society, other than the Christian society where murder is forgiven. smile

1. profile image0

You're leaving out the requirement for forgiveness.
                  Repentance is required; true sorrow for what one has done.
                  And even though you don't like to consider it, yes, even a murderer can be forgiven IF he repents.
                  No, that concept doesn't cause people to go commit murder, not that I know of.  Even if someone is forgiven, they still have to face the consequences of their actions.  There are murderers in prisons who've been forgiven by God, but they gotta serve their time in literal terms.  Sometimes even to the point of capital punishment.  It is what it is.  The point is that there is also life after death for those who repent.

And, you know the difference between someone who is truly sorry and someone who is faking being sorry?

Yes, I'm sure they will all repent if it meant getting off free.

Please review the Christian history where millions died in the name of Jesus, Christians slaughtering others and being forgiven.

And yet, a murderer will be forgiven and get a free pass into heaven while us poor non-believers will roast in hell simply because we don't share those beliefs.

How sad is that? smile

1. profile image0

It's all sad, really.  But we must face the facts.  The sin of unbelief is just as deadly as the others.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Hi Brenda, I think Mark is jealous because you were having so much fun discussing chocolate pudding with Pcunix. smile I am sure the attack didn't take away your joy. May the force be with you!

1. profile image0

LOL Woman you're funny and fun!
                  And the force is strong with you also!
                  big_smile
                  Blessings my dear Sister in Christ!  Keep speaking with the tongue of man and angels, and spreading your Love.

Brenda, I try to keep a clean sense of humor. It disgust me to witness sarcastic bad humor such as what I have observed in these forums from certain atheists toward a God some say doesn't exist. Thanks, I will continue to boldy speak for my faith. smile God bless you!

13. Greek One profile image62
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

did i hear someone mention pudding?

14. Flightkeeper profile image68
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I've never seen anyone speak in tongues.  A big part of me looks at it with suspicion because it seems to me an overindulgence of your strangest whims in the worst way, masquerading as an expression of the spiritual.  As long as it doesn't affect me in a material way I think it's harmless.  I doubt it would strike me as spiritual.

15. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years ago

Speaking in tongues means that you have a noticeable accent when you speak English so nobody can understand a word you are saying.

Sorry, but you have an accent I can't quite understand!  smile

1. profile image0
          BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's because I am Speaking in Tongues since this is the Speaking in Tongues thread smile

My mistake!  I thought this was the the "Speaking with forked tongues" thread!  ;lol:

1. profile image0

Sounds interesting maybe we should start one.

"People who speak with forked tongues, is it real or do they just do it for attention".

Personally I think its real because a forked tongue can only be a blessing from some kind of deity.
              Marilyn Manson has one therefore he must be a Prophet.

16. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

I've seen people who "speaking in tongues" on TV and that has got to be the most rediculous thing I've ever seen and what is more pathetic is people who buy into this BS.

1. profile image0

I wish I saw someone do this.
        I would walk over, slap them and say
        "Get a hold of yourself. No more drugs for you!"

1. mecheil profile image61

ouch...

2. profile image0

I believe, on tv, it is probably presented as a form of entertainment. Like pro wrestling. Maybe. Apparently my satellite service is different from yours. I've never seen anything like that.

1. profile image0

the TV evangelists are very well paid - benny hinn has private jet

1. profile image0

I know. He is one I have caught on tv once. Truly disgusting.

17. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 13 years ago

Just in case you missed the Irony.

It is my attempt of an argument, parallel to yours.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

18. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Dear me - you have threatened my on numerous occasions - and assured me that my place in hell is guaranteed. The fact that I reject this nonsense does not mean you did not threaten me in the first place.

There is no "atheist's dilemma" John.

Once again - what makes you assume there was nothing in the first place?

19. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Will do, may take some time and consideration, but it's a decent challenge to undertake... got any pointers! smile

There is a really obvious solution of course. I know that does not help, but I don't want to color your thought process with my own. Sorry. The question is quite important though. At least - I think it is.

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think you have given me one of THE important questions, and when I can get a while to really contemplate it, I will try to find MY understanding of it, then we can compare and see if and why we reached our conclusions!

Thanks,

John

20. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Speaking in Tongues

This prophecy relates to the Second Coming of Jesus; which has since been fulfilled with his symbolic coming between the years 1835-1908. Peoples in most countries of the world have started accepting it and when they join Ahmadiyya International Community; they pledge together in a function on hand of the Caliph in different languages of the world. This is speaking in tongues.

21. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Speaking in Tongues or International Baiat

The first International Baiat (initiation ceremony) took place in 1993. This is now held every year on the occasion of the UK Annual Conference in July. It is watched by millions of members all over the world. New converts who join the Jamaat during the year take a pledge of allegiance at the blessed hand of Hudhoor.

The Baiat is performed in the following manner. Hudhoor stretches out his right hand; persons sitting immediately close to him put their hands on his sacred hands while others put their hands on the shoulders of these persons to make a continuous link with Hudhoor. Everyone in the assembly puts his/her hands on the backs of others, thereby the entire gathering is connected with each other leading up to Hudhoor. Hudhoor recites a portion of the words of Baiat in English, he then pauses so the portion is translated into various languages. When the whole text of the Baiat is completed, Hudhoor recites the Istighfar. At the end everybody prostrates along with Hudhoor.

On July 30th, 2000 at 1 p.m. on the occasion of 8th International Baiat, forty million people (40,138,975 to be exact) took the pledge of allegiance and became happy members of this Divine Community. Alhamdo li-Allah

http://www.alislam.org/library/history/ … a/103.html

Praise be to the Creator-God; this way the prophecy of the Bible of speaking in tongues has been fulfilled with the advent of the Promised Messiah 1835-1908.

1. profile image0

What did everyone say in those tongues?
        And did "Hudhoor" lay down his life for all of mankind?

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I mention here the words one pledges:

Conditions of Initiation (Bai'at)
          in
          Ahmadiyya Muslim Community
          By

Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian
          The Promised Messiah and Mahdi (peace be upon him)

The initiate shall solemnly promise:

I That he/she shall abstain from Shirk (association of any partner with God) right up to the day of his/her death.
          II That he/she shall keep away from falsehood, fornication, adultery, trespasses of the eye, debauchery, dissipation, cruelty, dishonesty, mischief and rebellion; and will not permit himself/herself to be carried away by passions, however strong they might be. 
          III That he/she shall regularly offer the five daily prayers in accordance with the commandments of God and the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him); and shall try his/her best to be regular in offering the Tahajud (pre-dawn supererogatory prayers) and invoking Darood (blessings) on the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him); that he/she shall make it his/her daily routine to ask forgiveness for his/her sins, to remember the bounties of God and to praise and glorify Him. 
          IV That under the impulse of any passions, he/she shall cause no harm whatsoever to the creatures of Allah in general, and Muslims in particular, neither by his/her tongue nor by his/her hands nor by any other means. 
          V That he/she shall remain faithful to God in all circumstances of life, in sorrow and happiness, adversity and prosperity, in felicity and trial; and shall in all conditions remain resigned to the decree of Allah and keep himself/herself ready to face all kinds of indignities and sufferings in His way and shall never turn away from it at the onslaught of any misfortune; on the contrary, he/she shall march forward. 
          VI That he/she shall refrain from following un-islamic customs and lustful inclinations, and shall completely submit himself/herself to the authority of the Holy Quran; and shall make the Word of God and the Sayings of the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) the guiding principle in every walk of his/her life. 
          VII That he/she shall entirely give up pride and vanity and shall pass all his/her life in humbleness, cheerfulness, forbearance and meekness. 
          VIII That he/she shall hold faith, the honor of faith, and the cause of Islam dearer to him/her than his/her life, wealth, honor, children and all other dear ones. 
          IX That he/she shall keep himself/herself occupied in the service of God's creatures for His sake only; and shall endeavor to benefit mankind to the best of his/her God-given abilities and powers. 
          X That he/she shall enter into a bond of brotherhood with this humble servant of God, pledging obedience to me in everything good, for the sake of Allah, and remain faithful to it till the day of his/her death; that he/she shall exert such a high devotion in the observance of this bond as is not to be found in any other worldly relationship and connections demanding devoted dutifulness.

(Translated from Ishtehar Takmeel-e-Tabligh, January 12, 1889)

People from almost all corners of the earth pledge it in their own language in the ceremony; this is held in the annual internation congregation of the Ahmadiyya Community in UK>

1. profile image0

Who died for your sins?

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
              dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I know this! Pick me!

1. profile image0

Okay.

2. profile image51

Jesus did not die on the cross for anybody's sins; he survived death on the cross; he died later in India.

I need nobody's death for my sins. I am myself responsible for my sins; and the sins are forgiven by the Creator-God whom Jesus used to say God-the-Father and whom Jesus used to pray.

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
                Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard that story before where Jesus spent time in India before heading back to to his homeland. If Jesus actually did exist, and was crucified, I'm sure the Romans would make sure he wouldn't survive the execution. The whole point of crucifixion was to make an example. Roman records indicate that Pilate was very anti semetic and would show no mercy on a crucified Jew. Then there's a story that he died in a region which is present day Pakistan.

1. profile image51

Mary the mother died and is burried at Murree a hilly resort in Pakistan near Islamabad the capital; Jesus died in Srinagar, Kashmir and is buried there. He died at the age of about 120 years; so he spent most of his life in and around India; and it is a fact.

22. davidkaluge profile image55
      davidkalugeposted 13 years ago

It is time we truly know why Jesus wept at the grave of Lazarus”
      By N. K. David
      Published by author house UK Ltd and it is available worldwide online stores and on the publishers website.
      It’s a most read for all humanity. The point is that we believe what we accept as true, and only a fool would accept a belief that does not work for him or her. Maybe we have reasons to stand on a belief until we see reasons to quit.  Some Christians do not even believe in speaking in tongues. I have seen people speak in tongues though only in few occasion did I see someone interpret the tongue as it been said. It seems that some do not really speak any other language but just make sounds as they are moved, well knows if the sound is any language because I do not understand mine when I move and speak though not as praying, that is it would be when some thing or message gets to me that inspires me. Just as I got the inspiration for my book “it is time” and Humanity has to know that it is truly time for a new beginning and my book is just a mark.

1. profile image51

I think all the Christians should believe in speaking in tongues; this is an important prophecy to be fulfilled in End of Times when Second Coming of Jesus takes place. When Jesus escaped death on the Cross and went to India alongwith Mary- his mother, and other trusted friends of them later joined them in their journey; in his absence clever and ignorant persons like Paul made up things unauthorised, and attributed things that Jesus never did or believe of. It is for this that the spirit of Jesus got disturbed and wanted to come back to rectify creeds like Trinity invented in his name; the Creator-God, therefore sent the Promised Messiah 1835-1908 among other things for this noble purpose.

So speaking in tongues is a prophecy fulffilled; all the Christians should accept it; however, others may differ with but with reason. I don't mind, it is their right to believe whatever they like out of their free will.

Thanks

I love Jesus and Mary as mentioned in Quran.

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)