I'm ready to quit. My score won't go up or stay up and I'm tired of it

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (94 posts)
  1. Mcham Law profile image60
    Mcham Lawposted 12 years ago

HI.
    I sorta like HP. I find some of what the rest of the people here have to say interesting. But let's be honest. I'm hear for the backlinks. I am writing hubs as part of my SEO.

Problem is I can't get my score over 66 much less up to the 75 mark and I'm getting tired of it. I hop hubs every day, flagging as much of the spun crap as I can. I comment on other people's hubs after reading them. I follow people I am slightly interested in and seem to be getting some followers of my own. But after almost a month I am not much closer to getting the elusive 75.

Today I decided to take down almost half my hubs. Let's see if the hubs that don't score as well on their own really make a difference to my over all score. If that doesn't work I'm moving everything over to Squidoo.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could help you but I have a score of 69 after only writing one hub. I have no clue what the score is based on but I have a feeling mine will fall if I don't write another hub soon. Good luck.

2. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need to get traffic to your hubs - most hubs which have 0 traffic will tend to get a lower score etc...

3. poshcoffeeco profile image80
      poshcoffeecoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have written 10 hubs in 3 weeks and my score is up to 91.
      I am following about 5 new people per day and I read and comment.....good comments to their hubs. I answer at least 2 questions per day. I take note of my e-mail update and check out any hubs I follow for new work and read them.
      I am now moving to participate in forums so we will see what happens. I think it is participation in HP which increases hub score as much as anything.

4. Valerie Howard profile image63
      Valerie Howardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And I thought it was my profile page.  The scoring is BS, and after having over 300 readers my score hasn't moved up but one point.  But when I had 117 readers my score was 91.  Personally, I think trolls come along and vote good hubs down...  I know all of my hubs are quality writing, don't know what they want to make them happy.  But I agree 100% with you.  I asked for assistance and what information I received didn't answer my question.  Something is wrong here Houston...Write for you and you only.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Valerie, the main thing is not to stress about scores.  They're just an ego thing -and anyway, 89 is perfectly respectable! 

The topic of voting up and down has been discussed many times, and they have very little effect on your scores.  So even if there are trolls around, you don't need to worry about them. 

Looking at your Hubs, they seem to be just a large chunk of text, possibly all written in one capsule.  That will be lowering your score.  Hubs are meant to be like magazine articles, enhanced with photos and videos to provide a visually interesting experience.   In a magazine, you'd just write the article and a graphic designer would add the other stuff - here on HP, you have to be your own graphic designer.

It's not hard to add photos - I wrote a Hub about how to get them from Flickr (you'll find a link in my profile).  Adding Youtube clips is as easy as searching on Youtube and copying the link.

You can also create highlighted text capsules if there's a point you particularly want to emphasise.

This is a useful explanation of how capsules work:

http://darkside.hubpages.com/hub/capsules

1. Valerie Howard profile image63

Thanks, I will be following up on this.

1. Valerie Howard profile image63

Ok, I am back form my outing on my boat, and i have looked at this information.  I will try to do all the things it suggest, but the truth is... I think the scoring is a little suspect.  As I read more post, I see that I shouldn't complain.  My hubs are doing quite well actually compared to many, and I agree maybe it is a teeny bit ego.  I do not need HUB pages to validate my writing skills, nor do I need Hubpages to validate me as a writer.  My pocketbook does that.  But I enjoy writing.  Made it my passion, and I will stick with it, no matter what I don't like about it.  Readership is all that matters. I will make my poignant information more visually creative...You've just made a monster out of me...look out and beware.

5. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So I've written 61 Hubs in the 2 months I've been here.  I write whenever I get an idea.  The idea here is to sit my butt down to my laptop and write without getting distracted.  I'm using HubPages to learn more about online writing, and I've played with the Forum, answered questions, answered everyone who left a comment for me, and dumped some followers.  I just write and don't pay attention to my scores.  I don't suffer from Hub Score Envy.  My score has gone as high as 90, dipped down to 82, but pretty much stays at 85-86-87.  I've got about a year's experience from The Other Guys before HubPages, but I know online writing doesn't pay squat.  But I do like it here because the natives are friendly.  I don't know where these people get the idea that they get loads of money by writing for online sites.  Expect to be disappointed if you do.  I've worked as a reporter, writer, graphic artist, and photographer.  If you're after the big bucks, get some writing experience, then go after magazine writing and novel writing.  Freelancing is not easy.  I certainly would not make a living out of it--even with my experience.  But I do love to write.  My goals are different.  I am retired.  I write for the pure joy of it, but a lot of people are after the money.  Trust me.  Unless you learn the craft, treat your writing like a business, are willing to build a following and sell your writing to an agent or a publisher, you won't earn a dime.  Online publishing is an instant fix, but some writers and editors are willing to put too much bang in for the bucks.  Or should I say--pennies?  At the same time, I'm working on my novel.  Hell, I've been working on my novel for decades, but life seems to get in the way.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying the money deposited into my bank account from online writing sites each month isn't real?  I've been paying bills with fake money all this time?  ARRRRRGH!   smile

2. profile image0
        Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tell this to writers all the time.  Don't ever give up on your writing because if you do, that's one less voice.

3. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may not pay squat to you, but I've been able to support myself writing for HubPages and a few of The Other Guys for the last several years.  I don't have a lavish lifestyle, but I get to decide when I want to work and when I don't feel like it, I can just take the day off.  And several times per year, I take off and travel for a few weeks at a go.

Just because you can't make a living at it doesn't mean other people are just like you.

1. melbel profile image93
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha, relache... I totally read this wrong: "I've been able to support myself writing for HubPages and a few of The Other Guys for the last several years."

I read it as, "I've been able to support myself and a few of the other guys, writing for HubPages."

big_smile Seriously almost died laughing.

2. bgamall profile image69
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some of your hubs are very good Relache. Some left me wanting.  It is all about keywords and who wants to read them isn't it?

I like to write about things few people want to read about. I have however sold a couple of hundred ebooks on Amazon. smile

3. profile image0
          jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any pointers on revving up revenue,?  I have only published 3 hubs, and my revenue is pretty good for becoming active in the HP community, as well as my "score".   I joined 6 months ago, but didn't get really involved till about 3 weeks ago.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87

Arlene, once upon a time I'd have said, "you'd be surprised".  I write as a hobby so am not into the hard work of "real" freelance writing - my websites and online revenue-sharing sites work well for me.

I have to say, I've tried several and none of them come anywhere close to Hubpages in terms of earnings per article.  My best article on HP has earned over $300 in 3 years, and I'm not a SEO guru nor do I backlink my Hubs.   Have patience - one of the things about HubPages is that articles seem to languish for some months before starting to get serious income.

6. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't quit. Those of us who have been here for ions do not worry so much about a hub score. I understand the frustration just interract more with the community, read other hubs from other writer's, answer questions and do not over stuff your keywords on your hubs and the score will begin to rise. Try to research unique topics ones that others have not wrote about.

Put your hubs back up and keep writing. I will be happy to check some of them out and see how I can assist you with your score. smile

1. Rehana Stormme profile image70
        Rehana Stormmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed that it is the newbies who fret about the hubs scores. The more senior hubbers don't attach as much importance to it.

2. Mcham Law profile image60

Thanks repairguy! I used to live in pflugerville!

1. Repairguy47 profile image60

Really? How long ago, this place is getting very crowded. I see you are in Round Rock then you know what I mean.

3. Rebecca E. profile image78
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

you haev only been writing on hubpages for 3 weeks, it usually take about 3 months of good hard effort to get a high score like one which you want.  I say this because I took a quick peek at some of your hubs, and you have a lot of them considering you've only been here for 3 weeks.

Welcome to hubapges.  I'll take a bit mroe of a look.

1. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
      ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi...I would generally agree with the good folks ahead of me.
      My understanding is that your expectations should be similar to the stock-market's  "long view"...you just have to keep working and one day you look up...BOOM...75...or whatever. 
      I think, after having been here for 4 weeks, that if you were to stayed glued to the screen for half-hour updates for your scores...you would die in 37 days...tho...not sure...I'm more than several months away from getting a medical degree...closer to 12 years I suppose...hmmm...that dream may be dead...Good luck which ever way you decide to go tho.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It takes longer than 3 weeks to get your hubscore up. Unpublishing low scoring hubs will not help. I have hubs ranging from the low 50s to the high 90s...most are in the 60s. It doesn't not effect my score that much.

Posting more in the forums, making comments, answering questions...these will help to get you score up. And yes...you need traffic to your hubs. If you take the time to put up quality content without just using hubs for backlinks you will find you will benefit a lot more in the long run.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Yours are darned good hubs. smile I am at a loss as to your score. My guess is that Rebecca is right as to the time factor.

6. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

You've also had some problems with duplicate content, paraphrasing, and irrelevant tags.  Regularly following our rules should help your score.  If you have any questions about said rules, I'm happy to answer 'em.

1. Mcham Law profile image60
      Mcham Lawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the duplicate content and paraphrasing are my fault. I've written similar articles elsewhere and amazingly enough ended up writing either the same thing or similar here. I've corrected that problem. The irrelevant tags I don't get. I'm just using the tags that were suggested.

On a different note one of my hubs got taken down today and I can't figure out why. Who do I contact about that?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Usually, you should email the team inbox, but in this case, it was me who moderated your Hub, and I added  personalized note within the violation email you were sent.  Tags like "fun" and "friends" were irrelevant to the content of the Hub itself.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

What does your score matter?  I would assume your goal was to get readers and/or money not some arbitrary number?

8. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Hi psych...I think you need a certain Hub number before they will allow you to set up link type stuff?  Maybe...well...seems like 75 has been bandied about?  Anyways... therein lies the money he seeks.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79

All links when you have a score under 75 are no-follow.

1. Debby Bruck profile image65
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for educating. Can you give URL link where we learn some of these little tips?

10. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75

Hey UW...For the "hub score" or the "Hubber score"?

11. Carolyn2008 profile image73
    Carolyn2008posted 12 years ago

I just recently returned here to write. I found that HubPages serves my creativity needs. At the same time, it requires a committment of articles, follow ups, participation, etc. You need to establish yourself as a brand, and that takes time. Once I started to backlink my hubs I found more activity. I hope you will stay.

1. Perry Fender profile image68
      Perry Fenderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Forgive my stupidity -- what's a "backlink?"

1. quotations profile image86
        quotationsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A backlink is a link from another website or web page to your hub. Backlinks may increase traffic to your hub in one of two ways: 1) people may click on the link and move from the other website to your hub 2) a link from a highly ranked website to your hub transfers Page Rank to your hub which in turn increases the page rank of your hub and may result in you ranking higher in the search engine results. The higher you rank the more likely people will find your hub when they search for the subject you are writing about.

Not all backlinks are created equal, however. A link from a spammy site to your hub can actually hurt your PR and lower your search engine ranking. Also it is better if the link comes from a site or web page which is relevant to the topic of your hub. For example, if you write a hub about Corvettes, it is best if you get a link from a site about cars, or even better specializing in articles about Corvettes. A link to an article about Corvettes coming from a site about rock collecting would be next to useless.

I hope this helps

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
          Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

great answer!  I also love your quote "Not all backlinks are created equal."  smile

2. Perry Fender profile image68
          Perry Fenderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks -- sorry I didn't get back here sooner to let you know I appreciated your response.  I guess I need to work on some "blogging" PR on other sites --

3. profile image0

Okay I am pulling the blonde card here on the back link thing, so you backlink on their website, or on your hub,   I have confused myself.

12. Mcham Law profile image60

okay on your advice I republished everything I had pulled earlier. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm a small business person and don't have time to work on things that aren't going to pay off. I think HP is a great idea but it takes a certain amount of my day and if I'm never going to get to the promised land of 75 I need to redirect my efforts.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

@Maddie

Does that violator doohickey at the bottom of the stats page check tags as one of its processes? Just curious.smile

14. Maralexa profile image85
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

Hi Mcham Law

I like your hubs, your writing, the useful information you provide through your hubs.  But 3 weeks is a very short period of time. 

I am new and found my hubs were not being viewed as much as I thought they deserved, so I started looking for hubs that could tell me why.  I came up with several hubs and hubbers that provided great information but there is one that stands out for me:

HubPages GIANT Guide To Getting Traffic And Making Money by Gallant

There are many others, as I say.  Don't loose heart.  HubPages people are extremely supportive and helpful.  I say, hang around longer, write more hubs, maybe tweaking some hubs, and just push through.

You now have one more follower.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I  second this advice. Please don't give up!

I have been writing here at HP for 2 years, and just started keeping a gardening blog (link on my profile page). HP has given me lots of great practice for establishing my blog, which I write to sell my gardening book.. I am still working on some children's book MSs on the side, because I know that HP will not pay for my bread and butter in the near future.  It will take more time.

When I see it dropping toward 90, I write another hub and visit the forums, but  I try to not take it totally seriously because my priority is to spend time giving my daughter the attention she needs and deserves, not the computer. I go stretches without writing anything. Did that when I wrote my book, too, which is why that endeavor took 8 months instead of the publisher's desired 3 months (LOL! on THAT timing!).

So...do what you have to and keep in touch!

1. relache profile image72

Mcham Law has zero Hubs now and has been banned.  It would seem that Admin has gotten much more serious when it comes to new users who don't read the TOS or FAQ and build entirely self-promotional Hubs.  (all his Hubs were promoting his law firm)

15. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Be patient and keep writing. Good luck!
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5421771_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

16. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

My reply to a comment you made in another thread is relevant to this situation.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81237?p … ost1751557

17. psycheskinner profile image83

So the goal is to get backlinks for your business?  Backlinking to the same url from every hub might well be what is keeping the score down.

1. skear profile image91
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you might be right, on his profile page alone there are 5 links to his domain which seems a bit overboard.  I saw a link to the same domain in all of the hubs I checked as well.There is a difference between SEO and extensive over promotional linking.

Like others noted 3 weeks isn't very long, the scores take some time to rise.

Why not hire an SEO firm and spend your time doing what you do best.  Like most things in life it's a time/money trade off.

1. profile image0

I feel fortunate and lucky I joined 6 months and got side tracked opening a local restaurant, now wanting to change direction i reconnected about 3 weeks ago and my score ranges in the 80's and hubs are getting good comments.  I Always appreciate the comments, good and bad.  I have made some revenue, nothing to pay the bills, but I can see the potential.

18. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

From what I've seen and experienced, the main thing that gets a hubber past that 75 threshold is having a certain proportion of hubs in the library that are decent quality and not promotional/spammy/duplicate, etc.  I believe that's the core requirement, while the rest - the social stuff - can raise it higher. But it does seem to be impossible to get it over 75 if your account is too weighted towards the kind of content HubPages devalues.

19. Mcham Law profile image60

okay, so what you are telling me is I should write some hubs that don't link to my page and are just for fun? what? have fun?? what is that????

If every single Hub has a link to the same website, that will trigger the "overly promotional" filter. 

So yes, that does mean you need to write some Hubs that don't link to that website.  That doesn't mean they have to be purely for fun, though.

Do you understand that creating backlinks to your backlinks is also valuable?  Instead of linking directly to your website, you can use links to articles you've written elsewhere, which will make the links in them more valuable, and so on.

This is a good article on that kind of strategy:
      <snipped>

Although I would use Xobba.com, Excerptz.com and ThisisFreelance.com instead of Shetoldme, Ezinearticles and Factoidz as they haven't done well post-Panda.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Until I can get a hold of Oli I currently don't know what's happened to thisisfreelance.com it's currently offline...

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Weird,

Its up and running, was down for about 16 hours

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I just noticed the Hub was snipped, which is strange because it's not self-promotional - I didn't write the Hub in question.  Here it is again in case the OP didn't get back in time to see it:
        http://sunforged.hubpages.com/hub/The-U … -backlinks

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

You're not required to have fun, in fact you'll find several site users whose multi-year forum history demonstrates that they are bitter and angry at HubPages perpetually, however if you want a score over 75 and for your links to become do-follow, your current strategies for building content and links most likely aren't going to produce the results you want.

21. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

The personal scoring here is kind of bogus.  I just write and let the numbers fall where they may.  There is no Real rhyme or reason for the scores.

22. Rebecca E. profile image78
    Rebecca E.posted 12 years ago

As many have said and I'll add, yes you don't need to have fun it can be a business, however, having a "click here" might be the cause of some of your problems.  And yes 75 mean a do follow link, but as many have siad after that what matters is what you write.

23. Mcham Law profile image60

Just when you guys had managed to talk me into giving HP more time they pull two of my hubs. One is now irrevocable and the other needs revision. No explanation other than the standard BS about deceptive tags title or category. The title was how to screw your spouse in a divorce. The point of the hub was that a happy life is the best revenge. I tried to modify the title to make it a little more clear for those who aren't able to understand irony but nope, they just pulled it.

I'm sorry you've had trouble.  The tags system isn't well explained.

You're not supposed to use all the tags that are suggested. They're just produced by an automated filter that picks up on frequently used words in your Hub.  You have to be very selective and only use the tags which are truly reflective of the content.

If you used the word "screwed" you probably got unpublished for that.  Adult content - including "naughty" words - are not allowed on sites that use Adsense.

24. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure what everyone else said... so this might be duplicated..

The key -as I see it- is getting traffic to your hubs.

Go to google and list your site. Then yahoo, then bing etc.

I used monkeysocial for the first two weeks and that drove alot of traffic to my poems.

Also use facebook. I have about 300 friends and they usually look at what i write because i dont ask them to look at much stuff.

Also, participating in the forums helps a little.

Answering questions helps too.

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Your hub score means absolutely nothing. It has nothing to do with how much money you can or cannot earn.  Hub scores have more to do with the amount of traffic you get rather than if someone might vote down you hub. Also, adding some pictures makes you hubs more attractive and might keep people on your hubs longer.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The OP states he is primarily here to get backlinks, not to make money.

Without a hubber score of 75 all his backlinks are nofollow.

26. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

There are a few things you can do. Since you're here for the backlinks, and pretty much the backlinks only, I'd removed the Amazon capsules. I believe that while Amazon capsules can make money, they can slightly lower a hub's score (and google ranking for the particular hub, which you're really not here for, though.)

Here are some great ways to get to that sweet, juicy spot on HubPages so that you can get a high enough score for your backlinks to be dofollow:

Create some "linkbait" hubs. These are hubs that are really interesting and are great ways to get people to love your content... a hub that users love is a great way to get your hubscore up. You can even get a backlink from it. Make a hub about something silly like:
    How to Totally Screw Your Wife Over in Court
    Weird Divorce Laws
    The Strangest Court Cases in History
    Still Love Him? 8 Ways to Stall Divorce Proceedings

This is a billion times more worthwhile than just getting your hubscore up to par enough so that your links are dofollow. If people like your content here, your content here will get backlinks which will give them a higher page rank. What does this mean? It means that your backlinks to your law office will mean a heck of a lot more (and will likely blow your competition out of the water!)

Also, write some hubs that don't link out to your site. A great way to kind of "cheat" at this is to write about Round Rock, Texas. Write things that will get people to your hubs from the search engines. Stuff like "7 Hot Hang Out Spots in Round Rock, Texas" or "Things to do in Round Rock, Texas." Why do I call this cheating? Because people who are searching for this stuff are likely from Round Rock (or going to be there...) it's a great way to get exposure for the law office. It also kind of tells Google... "Hey, this guy is all ABOUT Round Rock" and it kind of means more for your backlinks... kind of complicated so I won't majorly go into this... but yeah, a lot of us are here for backlinks, but stop and have fun with HubPages... talk about Round Rock and other things that are slightly related to the law firm without actually linking out.

Also, head on over to Flickr for some of those free for commercial-use pictures to use in your hubs to spice them up. When a hubpages user sees the same pic over and over, it can sometimes seems spammy and instead of reading your hubs and rating them up, we have the tendency to skip on over to the next hubber.

Going around the community following hubbers, commenting on their stuff IS helpful, but you'll see yourself doing this FOREVER in order to keep your hubscore up.

Don't quit HubPages. Sometimes it takes a while for those individual scores to crawl up -- when they do, your links will be dofollow.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this post melbel - great ideas there!

2. Mcham Law profile image60
      Mcham Lawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

great ideas and I'm going to jump on them but apparently you can't say things like screw. One of my hubs was How to Screw Your Spouse in a Divorce and it got taken down.
      Thanks for all the encouragement!

27. RebuildingJobs profile image61
    RebuildingJobsposted 12 years ago

What is Squidoo?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is another writing site ,similar but different to Hubpages smile

28. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 12 years ago

There's some really great advice here, but I'm going to go ahead and add my two cents worth as well.

First, all in all, scores mean diddly squat.  They're nice, they're pretty, but in the long run, the only thing they really help to boost is your ego.

If you want a true picture of how your hubs are performing, use Google Analytics.  It'll give you really all the information you can handle, plus some.

Ok, wait, someone mentioned something about do-follow links?  If the hub is completely original, complies with the TOS, and is optimized for the search engines, then usually you'll get a good enough score for your links to work like you want them.

But, and this is my opinion, HubPages isn't the best platform to create articles solely for the purpose of generating links.  There's a million other ways to do that that are more effective.  If you're able to create a niche market for yourself here, then you can (over time) make a decent amount of money through HubPages.  However, if you're just writing to generate links, typically that type of writing tends to be sub-standard, and Google as well as HP notices.

My suggestion is to write articles here to earn money, without the focus on using HP as a platform to create links.  If you write well then it's easy to create a following.  Once you have a decent following then people will want to know more about you - and your business. 

The nice thing about HP is that you keep earning, even if you step away for awhile.

I do pretty much what you suggested.  My niche hubs did very well and the visitors praised my advice and help.  I don't use HP for linking elsewhere and did make money until someone, or something, decided to place my hubs below those with less informative and incomplete coverage of the subject.

Google often sucks at determining which article should be listed first, as you know if you are searching for answers to problems or other concise information. 

I don't think they know how to achieve the best results and are just trying things hoping they will get lucky.  I hope they will eventually disappear altogether as a search engine and are eventually treated as a harmful and undesirable monopoly.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with ya there.. I remember when Yahoo was big news.  For a few years, you couldn't turn on the TV without hearing that stupid Yahoooo yodeler.  Now, I miss those days.  There was a lot of competition among search engines (Lycos, Netscape, Ask Jeeves, AltaVista, and on and on) and nobody really had achieved the status that Google now holds - with an exception of Yahoo, maybe.

But, I think that - like all internet trends - Google will one day (soon) be obsolete.  People got tired of the crap that Yahoo tried to pull, and they'll get tired of Google just as well.  Maybe Facebook will get into the game and become the next dominant search site.  I don't know.. I see Google starting to grow distant from what people really want from the Internet, and unless they start to get an idea I think they'll slowly sink from their high and mighty first place standing.  At least, we can only hope.

Google's search engine is already obsolete.  I will be glad when their company experiences the same fate.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google still seems to have massive market share.  I would not call that obsolete.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I disagree. You're assuming that someone who writes to create links will automatically produce poor copy.

Every single one of my dance Hubs was created to produce links.  I invite you to read them and see if that's the case.  In my view, revenue-sharing sites are a great place to get links, because you get a double whammy.  You get a link, AND you get paid.

3. profile image0

Thank you about not worrying about back links, I do believe that HP can earn you a good chunk of change just on one's ability to write, and frankly that is all I want to be known for, good writing.  I am sure if I ever figure out the back link thing I may try/

29. Mcham Law profile image60

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm following some of it and trying to be patient.

of course in the meantime I've irritated the moderators and all of my hubs have to be approved before they can be published...grrrrr

1. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're guarding your reputation, Mr. Mcham Law.

30. Mcham Law profile image60

I know but it's frustrating. I made a mistake with the tags. I didn't get it, I do now!

I'm being patient I promise! smile

31. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

You
    At or may not be doing this, but are you reading the hubs of people you follow? If not, it is a killer of the Hubbers score -
    I wrote a hub about my mistakes called How New Hubbers Ruin Their Hubscore

32. Mcham Law profile image60

I try to keep up with the people I'm following. I read your hub when I first joined and appreciate the help.

33. quotations profile image86
    quotationsposted 12 years ago

Although getting a good score is always a bit of an ego boost, it does not really matter that much if what you want from your hub are backlinks. As long as your hubscore is over 50, hubpages will not place a "no follow" tag on your links so that they will pass on PR. The hubscore itself has no relation to the actual PR of your hub, or how much it passes on to your target site via the links.

I went to check out Mcham Law's hubs, but I get a message that "this user has been banned from Hubpages". What happened to McHam?

34. seamist profile image61
    seamistposted 12 years ago

I haven't read through all the replys on this post, but many that I have read are right. It takes time to be successful whether it is on Hubpages, some other site, or your own site. Lean all you can about keywords, SEO, and copywriting. Don't worry about your score, it will come in time. Good luck!

35. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Holy crap I have been reading all the comments here and then I get to this page and the guy is now banned! I guess it was over-promotion or something that ToS did not allow. I am not sure using Hub Pages is a good way to promote a business like that. He was better off using other more suitable platforms, or his own website.

In some countries, there are some rules about advertising and touting for business for law-related areas. I wish the guy luck!

36. psycheskinner profile image83

You'd think a lawyer would be better at following rules.

1. 2uesday profile image64
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Repairguy47 profile image60

A lawyer following the rules?

37. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, relache.  I did skim over what Hubs he had out there when he first joined HubPages.  Like subjects on divorce and all that, but didn't have time to read them.  But as a Forum, when he complained about low Hub scores and wanting to quit, as a group, the Forum did encourage him to keep writing. 

Some attorney, eh?  I guess when it came to being banned from HubPages, he certainly did earn it!  His loss!

1. relache profile image72

Many people who offer up help in the forums do so blindly, without ever taking a look at the Hubs made by the person who is asking.  I look at Hubs when some says they are having a score problem, I look at the poster's location before giving advice on affiliate programs.  It's amazing how many people are telling new site users who just happen to live in CA to use Amazon, when in reality CA residents are now disbarred from that program. 

People who are too lazy to read the rules are getting advice from people who are too lazy to look at their Hubs.  No wonder there's so much poor content to flag...

1. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good advice. big_smile

2. profile image0

Ahhh Craaaapppp, i am worried now Amazon capsule can hurt my hubs, and traffic, I live in WA.  Any thoughts or advice?

38. ThoughtSandwiches profile image75

and i was gonna link him to a story...i needed a lawyer...now it sounds like he needs one...

39. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Guilty!  But I'm getting better at not getting sucked into the drama.  I did catch the Amazon thing when I first joined HubPages.  A lot of Hubbers complained about Amazon pulling away from California.  As a new Hubber in California, I was able to post the Amazon, but I didn't even get a chance to see what it could do in terms of income.  I've been here two months, but I'm willing to learn the ropes.  Thanks, relache.

40. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I just came across this forum thread.  Sorry, Mcham Law, your score is now down to "1" .. well, look at it this way, it can only go up.  I haven't seen a zero score yet nor a minus one.. but there is always a first time.  Just trying to make you smile!  IF, you are still here.  I hope you are.. Hubpages is a really good site with a wonderful community, full of wonderful hubbers.. but, of course, there are those who are not-so-wonderful too, including moi. big_smile

41. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

The OP has a banned notification on his profile page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)