Do you believe you should PUSH your own religion on your children??

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (107 posts)
  1. Tlherald85 profile image60
    Tlherald85posted 12 years ago

Just to see what people think from different religions. Please tell me what religion you are If you are okay with that and then answer the simple question of "Do you believe you should PUSH your religion on your children??"
    Is it or would you be okay with your child NOT following YOUR religion??

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not a set religion.

And no I don't push my religion on my children, no do I think it is right to do that. It is my job as a parent to teach the basics of right and wrong according to the law of the land and when they are old enough to understand things on their own, they can choose the belief system they feel is right for them.

Tlherald85posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with that.

I guess I should have actually answered my own question before expecting others to. Whoops.

I believe Spirituality, Religion, Faith, etc is a PERSONAL feeling and choice and should never be pushed upon anyone.

I myself am Wiccan. I chose this religion after attending multiple churches and studying the gist of multiple world religions before I made my choice as to which religion I actually wanted. I wish and hope my children do the same. I do not want them to follow in my foot steps JUST because "its what mom does". I believe it to be very very personal to chose which way to follow. As with my 5 year old whom is old enough now to start learning of the different religions. She knows what I am and sees what I do but she is also (just recently) started attending a program called Awana. It has different names in different cities and states. But it teaches the works of Jesus. I have NO problem with that as I attended the same at her age also. She has to make her own choice.

I follow a more paganistic view of things myself.

What do you mean?

That is a very long story. Let's just say that I don't believe that the majority of people understand or even truly know the Divine. A study of "religions" will show that they all believe in a higher power and that each think they have the one true God. But the fact it, God is the same for all of them, it is only their culture, and religious structures that is different. Some see God as a single source, incompasing all attributes, other see multiple Gods that have attributes divided between the Gods. But, the attributes are the same across all religions. Saying a prayer, Chanting a spell, Meditation, are all used to accomplish the same purposes, "Asking a higher power (whatever you feel that is) for assistance in what we feel is our shortcomings" I.E. Strength to overcome a personal issue, monetary help to get past a financial difficulty, healing for a sickness, understanding of ourselves and things to that nature.
              Almost all religions follow some sort of ritual with regards to how services are conducted. And each part of that service has a set meaning.

I could go on. But, you get the gist. I don't speak about my personal beliefs to any detail, at least not in public. But if one was truly interested in understanding, then I would share my views. I don't debate or insult personal beliefs of others and I won't entertain my beliefs being insulted either.

That is very true. I don't blame you for not talking in public about your beliefs. So many shun so many. So may are judgemental, which I find funny because mere humans don't have the right to pass judgement. Thats not for us to decide. But I undertsnad your views. And as I have studied A LOT on multiple religions I have to say you are most accurate on my findings as well. What makes you not a set religion though? If you don't mind me asking.

Why do I say I am not of a set religion...
                  Because I take from any and all faiths or religious practice that works for me.

2. Heather McMillan profile image61
      Heather McMillanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am Methodist. I pratice my religion and he knows my beliefs. We attend church faithfully and I am making a point to raise him in the church. He is 9 and for years he has been vocal about speaking about God and Christ. I listen to him, encourage him to say what he thinks and feels, and I have even told him he can speak with others if he needs more answers than what I can give him. He recently had a question and asked to talk to the Pastor, so I made that happen for him. I feel it is my job to give him a love for Christ because I love Christ, and as he gets older he may choose if he wants to go to another church or pratice in a different way. I don't see it as pushing my religion on him. It is a part of my life, morals and values, so it is a part of my teaching an raising of him.

I see nothing wrong with that, and if he chose a different religion as an adult you would be okay with that? That's great in my opinion. I whole-heartedly believe religion is personal, it cant be spiritual if it isn't personal. Sounds like he enjoys your religion very much, at least for the time being.

1. Heather McMillan profile image61
          Heather McMillanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love my son so I would never shun him for choosing what he felt was the right path for him. Being a Christian is right for me, and I am raising him as such. But yes, if he came and said he wanted to either be Catholic, Baptist, or even switch and say Buddist I would still support him. He would still believe in a higher power and he would have his faith. We both enjoy not only our church, but what we have learned. I hope he continues to enjoy it, but we have not hit the teenage years yet! lol

That is true I have yet to hit the teenager years with any of my four too. BUT 2 of mine are currently attending church cause they asked to and are old enough to go without me. I hope they experience everything they can and everything I did.

3. profile image56
      me1inchicagoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, I agree,  no one should be pushed for ANYTHING. But (a) since children may not know all the facts, they should be guided honestly. (b) I strongly believe that one should not forget their roots, their history and their culture. I am from India and Hindu and proud to be Hindu. In India, we have people of all faith and they all practice their faith freely, side by side.

That is great and I agree. I'm glad to see so many people DO believe children should make their own choice and that religion is personal. I'm also glad none of the Religion bashers have been in this forum yet.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is highly unlikely Christians would ever teach their children anything other than their own version of Christianity when it comes to religion.

1. manlypoetryman profile image79
        manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Train up a child in the way that he should go...and when he is old...He shall not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Thanks for making my point. smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image79
            manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your Welcome...Any Time!

2. GAbaptist profile image65
          GAbaptistposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen, and Amen, and Amen again brother! I'll take God's wisdom over man's "wisdom" any day...

2. Tlherald85 profile image60

This is true however I hope those children when older can research on thei own and find the truths and facts and choose other than JUST following their parents footsteps.

Yet, we find as a result of parents not teaching their children about other religions (other than they are evil) those children do in fact follow their parents footsteps, and then pass that along to their children.

Very true.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have influenced my kids in many ways, I wasnt always a Christian,so no doubt my habits good and bad had an effect one way or another.

Sooner or later they have all made their own decisionson a wide variety of issues.

Every parent wants their child /children to have life coping skills whether they are Christian based or not.

For me personally my faith combined with other knowledge have no doubt had an influence in their lives. Having said that ,they will ,and are still going through their own journey ,complete with ups and downs.

I guess my greatest desire was that they grew up to be loving and caring men,respectful to ALL mankind.

Thats great Eagle.

6. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim.

I will like that I train my children in my own religion or faith till such time they get mature; then they can find truth themselves. I won't push them on anything; but I have a right to convince them with arguments as I do with others; others have also a right to convince me to their side with reasons and arguments.

LOL! No evidence to the above has ever been presented.

That's called indoctrination.

7. cmontijo profile image60
      cmontijoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well to be honest you have to teach them something, not as an extremist but yes something to guide them. Then when they grow older they can choose their own religion and have their own beliefs. But always remember that as a child we need to something to guide ourselves, moral values and religion is something important that should never be left aside.

1. profile image50

I agree with you.

8. Alexander Mark profile image81
      Alexander Markposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see that you are not interested in posing an honest question to understand what people think (and why), but to draw in people to teach them what you think is right. This is not a discussion now but a debate. I already know what is right and obviously you do too. If you want to get to know the Lord and need help or guidance or have honest questions, please email me. God bless you Tlherald no matter what you believe.

9. emrldphx profile image60
      emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My religion basically boils down to being the best person you can be... kind, caring, helpful, hard-working, and developing yourself in every way possible.

While my children are young, they need guidance for their development. Physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. I think it is best to simplify things for children so they can have a foundation to tackle life later. As they approach adult-hood, the opportunity arises to help them move from doing what's right because that's what they are told, to doing what's right because they think it's right and they want to.

Your religion will not provide or teach you that.

In other words, you have every intention of indoctrinating your children into your religion.

1. emrldphx profile image60
          emrldphxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, in my words, I have every intention of helping them to have knowledge, and an open mind, so when they are old enough they can discover their own truth.

I intend to indoctrinate them about religion in the same way I intend to indoctrinate them about morality.

For example, I don't abstain from murdering everyone I meet because it's against the law. I abstain from murdering everyone I meet because I believe it's wrong.

How very unfortunate for them. Tell them they have my sympathies.

10. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We should never push our religion on anybody, especially not our children. It's natural to explain to children why we believe what we believe and to show them the tenets of your faith, hopefully in how you live, rather than what you tell them.

Although I am a Christian, I made no effort to ensure that my son would follow me into the faith, indeed as he attended our church when I went there, he was subject to peer pressure and wanted to get baptised at 12 years of age, and I told him to get the other side of puberty before he asked me again.

He went into the world and did all the things the world teaches our children to do, and stayed there until he was 19 years old, then of his own accord came to faith, and was finally baptised.

I was pleased of course, and relieved, because God has no Grandchildren, and just because I came to faith at 42, there was no guarantee he would do at any age.

Nobody should be forced to belong to any religion, and nobody is born into any religion, and any system that ignores those facts will flounder in time, having become a hollow religion with rules and no love to display.

You cannot force religion on anybody.

Quite the contradictions there, indeed. lol

11. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have heard it said that "our children take their flight into the future with our thrust and with our aim. And even as we anxiously watch that arrow in flight and know all the evils that can deflect its course after is has left our hand, nevertheless we take courage in remembering that the most important factor in determining that arrow's destination will be the stability, strength, and unwavering certainty of the holder of the bow."

How careless and hypocritical would we then be if we were to wane in that responsibility based on the thought that despite the fact that we knew where the keys to salvation and eternal happiness were lodged, but we just didn't want to stifle anyone's freedom to think otherwise.

12. lizzieBoo profile image60
      lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I certainly PUSH my children to grow up a certain way. I PUSH them to be considerate, hard-working, charitable, to laugh at things, to get out of bed in the morning, to go out and play, to be thankful, yes. It's called parenting. Any principle that you hold dear enough to live by is a religion, therefore we cannot, without being bad parents, avoid pushing all sorts of things on our little darlings and the good news is...its not a bad thing.

13. WD Curry 111 profile image57
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not push, lead.

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 12 years ago

A young child does not chose their own way; they do that when they attain adulthood. We guide our young children in everything and in all aspects of life. If we belong to a particular religion,why would we not instruct them in that? The things we talk about, the morals we offer them are based on what we believe. If we follow a particular faith, that is what we teach our kids.

Yes I let her see how I practice and I allow her to join in and I am teaching it to her. However, she is opening new doors also and recently asked if she could attend church with my neice on wednesday evenings. I said yes. I see NO reason she can't explore all religions as did I. So, you think I'm wrong in allowing her to explore another religion just cause she is a child??

1. Dolores Monet profile image95
        Dolores Monetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course not - I am just saying that we are the greatest influences in the lives of our children and they learn the world and how to adapt to it from us.

I agree completely.

3. profile image0
    RookerySpoonerposted 12 years ago

Rationally, I do not believe parents should push their beliefs onto their children.  However, realistically, it would seemingly go against nature if they did not do so.  If parents really do believe that their beliefs are the truth, and that they believe thay are doing the right thing by teaching their children to believe as they do, then I don't see how it could be any other way.  As an atheist, if I ever were to have children, I am not entirely sure I would want them to be atheists, because a religious faith can offer great hope and comfort.  So, I think I would teach them my own beliefs, as well as the beliefs of different religions.  It would be up to them to decide what made most sense to them.

Exactly as I feel Rookery. However I do not think its pushing it on them IF they are allowed to explore other options. Childrens minds are HUGE and ready to take in the world. They are smart and ready to learn and the more you learn growing the better. Adults minds don't take in or accept things like a childs mind does.

4. Owl Ka Myst profile image60
    Owl Ka Mystposted 12 years ago

Delores, you are likely correct in most cases that children do not find their own way, however my experience contradicts the norm. I was raised without religion, I was not completely and totally influenced by my parents. I was told about religion, and non-religion. But as young as 8 years old, I found my own spirituality. The things I believed then is basically the same now, just more of it. What I formed in my mind and my heart came more from books than my parents.
    As for my own children, I gave them the same up-bringing I had as a child and let them find their own way. Like my own parents, I never started a discussion about my path, or other religions. I let them open that door and talked about it only then.
    I consider myself a free-form spiritualist with pantheistic and witchy tendencies. While this is my way, I never kept my children away from and religious service that they wanted to explore, never talked bad about a religion, but did explain how people do distort and act hypocritically in religion.

Right on Owl. That's great.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

My child does not make his own choices, he is to young. I am Christian but could not imagine leaving him home alone while I went to church. When he is an adult it is ok that he makes his own choices, but not as a child.

So, your child is how old AEvans??

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He is only 10 not old enough to be alone. Our state would frown upon it and I would end up in big trouble. But I have told him when he is old enough to make decisions on his own, then I will stand behind him. Isn't that what parents are supposed to do? smile

Yes it is. That is your job. Teach them right from wrong, morales, etc. Then they have to go from there and hopefully walk the right path. He should never be left alone. And I did not mean to allow him to choose now, obviously he is way too young. But like my 5 year old. She is attending a Christian Church on Wednesday evenings to learn the teachings of Jesus Christ but I am Wiccan. She hears and sees those ways also. Make since? I'm letting her keep her options open. I want her to learn and then choose from the heart just like I did. As I have said I believe its personal and should be personal. Would you disagree??

2. profile image50

You are doing a good thing; children should not be left unattended till they are mature enough.

6. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I don't have kids (yet) so can only speak as one who was one. As a kid I had friends at school would would talk about what they had done at church, sunday school, youth group or choir that week, or what they were going to do. I got to wondering and asked my dad why we didn't go to church like the other kids at school? My dad answered by saying that we don't believe in that stuff, but if I wanted to go to church he would take me. He told me that if for any reason I didn't like the first one I tried I could try another, and another, until I found what it was I wanted or until I didn't want to go anymore. My first church was a Lutheran church, practically walking distance. I loved it, being a kid with almost no friends who was bullied daily the welcome I received kept me coming back. If dad hadn't lost custody of me, I might still be a Lutheran today. I then had a wealth of different Judo-Christian religious influences and mostly they were forced on me one way or another.

I do think that experiencing both the chance to choose to go to church on sunday and being forced to go to catholic school (church on friday, with sunday spent at a United Methodist Church)  leaves me thinking that the only church a child should ever be taken to is one they actually ask to go to.

I'm sorry that you as a child had any religion forced on you. I'm glad however that even though your father didn't believe he allowed you to decide on your own. That is great. And I assume you will be doing the same with your children?

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years ago

I believe it is the responsibility of all parents to educate thier children. Most children will, as adults, have very similar values to those of thier parents.

In my opinion when/if your child asks you about other religions or other beliefs, they should be given the information they request. If the parent doesn't know the answers they should take the hint from thier child and discover the answers.

The safety of the child is however the responsibility of the parent. Protecting them from con artists and unhealthy belief systems will always be the bottom line for any good parent. Since children are gullable and the bad people know it, the decision about any particular education should remain the choice of the parent until the child is old enough to decide (make an informed decision) for themselves.

That is very true Mikel, I do not disagree.

8. profile image52
    Princess Rohanaposted 12 years ago

This is the perfect reason why should parent both have the same religion when they get married.

Teaching on your child about the different religion for educational purpose is a good idea.But, of course I will teach more about on our religion because I want my child to strengthen his or her faith with our religion, After all... All Religion are beautiful....

PRINCESS ROHANA G. GURO
    YY1-HISTORY 80

This I disagree with. Children should learn of and about other religions BEFORE they become adults and are just HIT with the fact that there are other beliefs out there.

9. livelonger profile image85
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

I am Jewish and plan on raising my child/ren as Jews.

However, my sense from this thread, and this has been confirmed by a friend who's a child psychologist, is that the actual religion or lack of religion doesn't make too much of a difference, but rather giving the child the mental and emotional freedom to explore things like ethics and philosophy on their own without indoctrination and fear is important. Fundamentalist versions of religion that instill fear are terrible for children no matter what their flavor.

Yes that is true I have taken child pyscholoy classes also. Do you intend to tell your children ALL other religion is Wrong and yours is the ONLY true one?? That is what PUSHING religion on someone is.

1. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Judaism doesn't believe that, so why would I teach that to my child?

It was only a question, not meant to offend. That is good.

1. livelonger profile image85
            livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand, but there is a widespread misconception that Judaism believes similar things as "Old Testament Christians" when that is not true. There are many, many differences. Judaism does not believe it's the only path to righteousness, it does not have a dogma (required beliefs), it does not believe in hell or eternal punishment, it doesn't treat Jews differently from non-Jews with respect to the afterlife, it doesn't expect a violent "end of days" scenario...that's just a few of the differences.

Yes I have read about that. It's a LOT different than Christianity that's for sure.

10. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

God created free will. Who am I to challenge that idea?

I've been a Southern Baptist till about 9 years of age. Studied Eastern mysticism in the late 50's and 60's, then Scientology, Buddhism, Judaism, Taoism, Kabbalah, and back to Christianity and a denomination of one.

PUSH? No. Invite? Hell yes! wink

Thats great. Great that you study before choosing. You don't often see that. Yes INVITE is what all should do.

11. hillbilly77 profile image58
    hillbilly77posted 12 years ago

I am a Christian, and as a Christian, it is my duty to make sure that my children have a close relationship with God and understand the principles of having faith.  If my child came to me and told me that he wanted to become Muslim, then I would have to pray for him and with him, and hope that he would see the error of his ways.  I love my child, and I want to see my child succeed, however, so many of us lose sight of the big picture.  Success on Earth doesn't mean a hill of beans, if the soul burns in the pits of hell forever.  I want my child to have a strong personal relationship with God, and to understand the principles of being a Christian.  I want my child to understand that there is only one path to Heaven, and that is through Jesus Christ.  I will love my child no matter what, but it is my duty to teach him about Christ, and hope that he accepts Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.

12. hillbilly77 profile image58
    hillbilly77posted 12 years ago

No they should not...Muslims go to extremes to make sure that their children are not exposed to outside beliefs, and we Christians should work just as hard at it.  The fact is, if we love our children, and we truly believe in our religion, then we have to believe that in the end, we are right.  I am a Christian, and I believe there is only one path to Heaven.  I also believe that in the end, our souls will go to Heaven or hell.  There will be on in between.  Having those beliefs, of course I want my children to follow the same teachings.   There is only one Heaven, and Christianity teaches us there is only One way to get there.  I want the best for my children on Earth and in the afterlife.

Well then I just pray that your children are not also closed-minded just in case it is NOT the ONLY way. For which the ONLY way has NOT been proven nor will it probably ever be. And not personal opinion and NOT judging but just a little FACT for you, if you want them to be forced to follow Jesus Christ then you and they should know Jesus himself thought Religon was biased. Do a little research so that at least it is fact you are PUSHING on them.

And I say that in the case that when Adults they decide to research themselves and find facts. I do NOT wish any child to research and believe or think their parents may have lied to them. Think of how that would feel. For a child to find or think the ONLY people they TRULY trust has lied to them about something. That is MY personal opinion. I have NOTHING AGAINST Christianity however, I do against the Bible and extremists.

13. Mark Yuells profile image56
    Mark Yuellsposted 12 years ago

No.  indoctrination is child abuse.

Thank you for your input Mark. I agree.

14. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Anyone who believes they don't influence their children's thoughts on the topic is deluding themselves. We do.

The only thing a parent should do is teach their child to be open minded and to follow their heart. And let them know you support whatever they ultimately choose to believe.

I use the term believe simply because I consider nonbelief to be a belief. No one knows.

I agree Emile. No matter what you are a "believer" in SOMETHING.

I also agree that no matter what you should always support your children.

15. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

First and fore-most, I am a Christian who was born and raised a Catholic. Throughout the years I have learned that there are many things in the Catholic religiosity that I totally disagree with and I do speak out against those things that I believe are scripturally in error.

I believe that a child should be introduced to God and that God's teachings should be made known to the child. Teaching God and God's goodness can never be wrong. Ultimately I feel it wrong to force a child towards any religious belief. The child should choose. God will influence.

You disagree with God? You believe God is in error? Blasphemy!

Children should be taught about all religions if they are going to be taught at all. Your method is called indoctrination in which a single religion is presented to the child and they are told it is correct.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Troubled: I didn't ask for your one cent worth and I got even less value,nothing.

What I received from you though, was gold! smile

I don't disagree that children should be taught about God or Jesus. I am not Christian, Catholic, etc but my daughter is currently attending church and learning about Jesus just as I did. She also knows an sees my religion and I will allow her to explore many more if she wishes. And I will support her in whatever she chooses. My other 2 are still to young to understand or really learn any. But my 5 year old is out learning of a few different things.

16. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Do you believe you should PUSH your own religion on your children??

One should help one's children to understand religion with love and affection and rational reasoning.

I agree with that. Especially the "rational" part.

17. Alexander Mark profile image81
    Alexander Markposted 12 years ago

My religion? I am a fundamental believer in the Bible - closest religious description would be a Messianic Jew / Fundamental Baptist.

I don't have children but hope to have them one day. However, if I had kids I would teach them the Bible and about God and salvation. I wouldn't be pushing anything because I would simply be teaching them the truth. They will have their own choice because that is God's intention: that we all choose whether we will follow God or not.

I will be very sad if they do not choose to follow God, but it is only my responsibility to lead them to the fountain of life and not to push their faces into the water! Not only would that not work, it would go against everything that God has made us to be - individuals who are free to choose him of our own accord.

It might be worth noting that there are plenty of stories about kids being raised in Christian homes that reject God in adult life. It is just as possible that my kids will go the other way. As an example, I grew up in a worldly environment, racism and cursing and Godlessness was in my life. But I heard the gospel only once and many years later became aware of the choice I had to make - obviously I chose Christ. I would not presume that parental influence forces their offspring into set choices, but I would be wrong not to give them the knowledge of the choice I believe in.

That doesn't offer choices, that offers only threats of obedience.

To offer choices would be to teach your children about all kinds of religions without injecting your own so-called "truths" into the equation.

What you're doing is called indoctrination and it is wrong.

There is nothing wrong with giving them KNOWLEDGE of YOUR beliefs but to tell them "It is TRUE, instead of this is one religion af many" Is in fact WRONG. That's, as Troubled said, Indrocrination.............

1. Alexander Mark profile image81

You have a responsibility to teach them what is good and what is bad. From my point of view, to not teach them what you believe is good or bad is exactly the same as giving your child the choice to put their hand in fire or swim in a pool and telling them it is exactly the same thing. Is that also wrong just because you think it is wrong to teach them right from wrong?

Teaching them right from wrong is needed and is a good thing.

Teaching them that something is TRUE when its NOT or when there is NO evidence of it being true is NOT right.

Just because you BELIEVE something doesn't make it TRUE. Facts and evidence make things TRUE not JUST belief.

18. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

The believer actually believes they are offering choices to their children. Let's use apples as an example of their logic.

"Although there are McIntosh, Red Delicious, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala and Cortland apples, in this house we eat only McIntosh apples as the rest are an abomination, are evil and will burn for an eternity in Martha Stuarts kitchen oven."

That's a wonderful way to say it. I like that. lol. And I agree with that above being indrocrination which is by the way CHILD ABUSE.

Interesting, that's exactly what Richard Dawkins is trying to say, too. smile

1. carol3san profile image60
          carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is the parent's responsibility to introduce their children to religion when the parent is religious.  However, once the child is old enough to make up his or her own mind about religion, then the parent should pull back and allow the child the ability to make that choice.

It is also the parents responsibility to teach their children how to think critically so as to be able to distinguish myth from reality.

Very True

Who is Richard Dawkins??

He is a brilliant British evolutionary biologist.

http://richarddawkins.net/

I highly recommend his lectures called, "Growing Up in the Universe" which can be purchased as a DVD or you can watch the series on YouTube for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHoxZF3ZgTo

2. Alexander Mark profile image81

That comparison would work if you equalize God with the Devil and all other religions. If you want to be fair and honest, you also teach your children a biased point of view by teaching them all religions (or just Christianity?) are worthless because no one religion is better than another. I am only wrong if Christianity is bad for humanity. You are wrong if Christianity is good for humanity. Your statement of good and bad is very subjective but you act like you are being fair. You should teach your children what YOU think is right because they need your wisdom. If you teach them all religions are equal, then you are lying to them to put it bluntly.

That's the point. You DON'T teach them ALL religions are RIGHT OR WRONG. They have to figure out for themselves WHAT they believe. You teach your chioldren Right and Wrong, Morals, Responsibilty, etc.

Let THEM explore religions for what they are.

19. rus-leelaratne profile image60
    rus-leelaratneposted 12 years ago

I actually class myself as not having a religion.  However, I was brought up with strong Buddhist backgrounds.
    Theravada Buddhism states you must live by five principles.  Well, to be honest I do not follow the five principles.  Modern life makes it difficult.  That is why I do not call myself a buddhist.
    I do not think you should push a religion on to your kids, but you must ensure that they grow with strong and good principles that make them a good person.  This does actually line up well with most religions.  Once the kids come of age, then they should be allowed to decide for themselves.

I agree.

20. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

People can think what they will but I don't need someone outside my family telling my family how they should be raised.  As the parent whatever method someone has doesn't mean I need to follow in behind every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

Personally allowing a child to examine every religion they can find is not only a waste of time but talking about confusing that should take up most of their live to try and figure out how does this compare with the dozen over there. What kind of parenting is that?

Yes, much better to indoctrinate them into your religion so they learn nothing. Yeah, that's good parenting.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What ever parenting other people have in raising their children Trouble Man I thank God I wasn't brought up in that delusional through process you would demand on whatever offsprings you forced into this world.

Like, an education? Believing an education is delusional and something demanded on others is obviously false, based on your posts here. smile

1. SpanStar profile image61
            SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Education has proven itself to be delusional a number of times- Hitler considered himself to be an educated person.  Accounts that have gotten caught tampering with the books considered themselves educated people.  Yes Like Education one can easily become delusional.

21. profile image55
    NansyNansyposted 12 years ago

Not at all. You can only pass on the influence, but reality is...they might not fully agree. Eventually, it will only be leading to resenting the parents, altogether. Well, maybe not all, but partial.

22. profile image56
    laptop-coolerposted 12 years ago

I think it is wrong to force your child to follow a certain religion, but it is okay to inform them about it. As soon as possible children should be encouraged to do their own research and make their own decisions in all aspects of life. They will learn form their mistakes and become more confident, stronger people.

SpanStar, when you base something on the worst of things it doesn't look like a good argument. I could just as easily say that Christianity is bad because of pedophile priests and the crusades. 

Unfortunately Hitler was a Christian, as are most of the top Bankers who fiddled the accounts.

An education helps you advance.  Which is coincidentally why most of the highly educated countries are leaving (or have left) religion behind. (Feel free to quote statistics here, I know the census shows the uk at around 60+% Christian, however I have lived in England most of my life and met very, very few Christians.

23. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

No, that would bet tantamount to child abuse.  Let children decide for themselves what religion they want to be or non-religious.  It is evil to push your religion to your children.  Let them be independent thinking individuals.  Parents want their children to be carbon copies of them.  Children are individuals, free to lead their own lives & to follow their particular lifepaths.

1. Alexander Mark profile image81
      Alexander Markposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Evil? Your profile pic is dark art representing a face that has its eyes covered - how appropriate. How do you know what is evil? Evil is raising your kids with a false understanding of the world. YOU think religion is evil and that is why you state that it is evil for parents to indoctrinate them with ideas that you don't agree with. If you really are reasonable, then turn the tables: think about if you believed that the world is evil and your religion was not, then you would want to teach your kids all they need to know about how to deal with evil. I would not force you to teach your kids MY religion, but you would like to stop me from teaching my kids what I believe. That isn't freedom, that is tyrannical evil. And if you don't believe in religion, how can you judge what is evil? Evil and good are defined by religions! Not humanism. If you believe in evolution, then nothing is evil because its about the survival of the fittest. if you're agnostic, then what is your basis for what is evil and good? If you say society, then you are fooling yourself because societal rules and morals are always changing according to what is popular for each generation, or as it is now, for each minute. If it's your own ideas and feelings, you again can't be sure what is good for everyone because you are the only ruler by which you can measure good and evil. At the very least, according to your belief that religion is evil, your morality and the morality of a religious person are equal, because, how can you judge? And what if the religious people are right? Then at least their kids learn the better rules to live by. If a parent sends their kids out into the world armed with knowledge and morality, THEN those kids can choose what to believe - they can reject their beliefs but at least the parents did all they thought they could do to prepare their children.

24. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 4 years ago

Why not? People indoctrinate their kids with climate change hysteria. And that's a bunch of crap.
    https://admin62b4b.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/THUNBERG-2.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)