What is your favorite book?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (80 posts)
  1. profile image0
    alwaysamberposted 11 years ago

What is your favorite book of all time? Mine is "A Long Fatal Love Chase" by Louisa May Alcott.

1. ajwrites57 profile image83
      ajwrites57posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it will always be "To Kill a Mockingbird". It was the first book that really spoke to me as a child when i read it. There are many great books that I love, but this tops my list.

1. Chris Neal profile image79
        Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd loved the movie for years but didn't get around to reading the book until almost in my forties. When I did I discovered extra layers that the movie didn't even begin to touch on! It's a brilliant book!

1. ajwrites57 profile image83

So true--this was Harper Lee's only book--I'd love to have read more by her. I loved all the main characters of the book--even Boo (played by a young Robert Duvall in the movie--one of his first, if not his first).

2. gxheladini profile image61
      gxheladiniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Yeah, that's a really good one too...

3. PhoenixV profile image62
      PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Illusions -  Bach
      Where the Red Fern grows - Wilson Rawls
      Man Without a Country- Hale
      Catch-22 -Heller

2. teresakbecker profile image56
    teresakbeckerposted 11 years ago

My favorite book changes almost constantly - depending on my mood. Currently my favorite "business" book is Linchpin by Seth Godin.

3. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

It's most likely "Swallowing Stones" by Joyce McDonald. Sure, it's not exactly high literature and it's not exactly the most intellectually engaging book out there, but it's the book that got me interested in reading for pleasure, and I still love reading it to this day. It's my "comfort book," so to speak.

4. prettynutjob30 profile image86
    prettynutjob30posted 11 years ago

"A Boy Called It" was an incredibly sad and touching story of a young boys tragically, abusive  life. This by far was one of my all time faves, it is amazing the crap this boys mother put him through. I cried from start to finish.

1. Stina Caxe profile image81
      Stina Caxeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a great one, I cried so hard!
      My favorite is Pillars Of The Earth!

2. profile image0
      alwaysamberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"A Boy Called It" is a great book! Very sad, though.

3. Chris Neal profile image79

Yeah, that was a good one!

5. Vacation Trip profile image72
    Vacation Tripposted 11 years ago

`You Can Heal Your Life` by Louis L. Hay is my favorite book. It is full of positivity and yes till some extent I am very much inspired by the book. It shows how important and beautiful life is.

1. profile image0

I've never heard of that book. I will have to check it out. I enjoy reading inspirational books.

6. grand old lady profile image86
    grand old ladyposted 11 years ago

My favorite book is Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I was 16 when I first read it, and I've read it maybe five times since then. I always cry when I read it. Strangely, assassins like it. John Hinkley, who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan, had the book in his hotel room. Another assassin, Mark David Chapman, who killed John Lennon, also had the book in his possession at the time.

1. profile image0

Oldie, but goodie smile

7. Ikerot profile image60
    Ikerotposted 11 years ago

Harmony by Project Itoh. It's a really good sci-fi book, quite fascinating.

8. Chris Neal profile image79
    Chris Nealposted 11 years ago

Although my favorite book is the Bible, as far as fiction goes it's a tossup between "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "The Little Prince." I cry every time I read that one. So deceptively simple.

9. Dan Barfield profile image73
    Dan Barfieldposted 11 years ago

My favorite book of the moment (because it changes from week to week) is A collection of 40 short stories on the theme of the afterlife called 'Sum' by David Eagleman. Seriously awesome - check it out!

1. profile image0

I've never heard of it, but will have to check it out. I love reading!

10. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 11 years ago

My favorite book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I first read it in my early teens, when it made a big impression on me. I still love it.

11. misc-disc profile image60
    misc-discposted 11 years ago

On the Road (Kerouac), Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas), The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway), and Hocus Pocus (Vonnegut).

How could I forget The Old Man and the Sea? That's one of the all-time greats!

12. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Oh, my. Well, "Pride and Prejudice" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" for long-term favorites. Then "Cold Mountain" and "Mink River" for more recent favorites. I just discovered "Mink River" and am in love with the language and the easy transitions from reality to fantasy in it.

1. profile image0

Love "Cold Mountain"...such an amazing story!

13. Hui (è•™) profile image58
    Hui (è•™)posted 11 years ago

World famous Chinese classic novel "A Dream of Red Mansion" written by Cao Xueqin in 16th century. The author presented a true social net and an old ideological system based on his own big noble family. There is no one complete story at all in the book as other novels do. The author described everyday life in a clan with complicated relations, based on which the author clearly showed audiences how a big family rose and fell, how the old ideological system caused tragedies. Talent was destroyed, love was strangled, everything got ruined... Only an empty world left behind...
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7660718_f248.jpg

The leading man and the leading woman

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know, this actually sounds really interesting. Too bad I can't read, speak, or understand Chinese whatsoever. D:

1. Hui (è•™) profile image58
        Hui (è•™)posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was translated into 23 languages, including English, French, German, Japanese, Korean... You must read, speak, or understand whatsoever one of them. D:

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
          Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh! I'll have to find me an English translation of it soon!

2. profile image0

This does sound interesting.

Not just interesting, but great! 23 language translations and International "A Dream of Red Mansion" Academic Seminars! smile

14. profile image57
    Retro Potatoposted 11 years ago

It used to be 'Drood' by Dan Simmons until last December. Quite an exceptional piece of literature. I've always been in complete awe of Victorian London. Anyway, my favourite book now is 'The Girl with the Dragon tattoo' by Steig Larsson. Lisbeth Salander just blew my mind.

15. jhayden628 profile image62
    jhayden628posted 11 years ago

My all-time favorite book is the Bible. I make it a New Year's resolution to read the Bible through in a year.  My YouVerson Bible app on my Iphone makes it easy because it tracks my daily reading. It also has several devotional pieces. You can highlight/bookmark your favorite verses.  YouVersion has hundreds of translations, some that include audio. That makes it easy to find a version that readers can understand.  Another thing I lik about my Bible YouVersion is that I can carry it wherever I go and access it at any time.  Another favorite devotional is Streams in the Desert.  It has very thought-provoking passages for every day of the year.

16. Ivan Ivanov profile image60
    Ivan Ivanovposted 11 years ago

I see Christianity thrown all over my face here in the forums ...

Whatever ...

My favorite book may sound childish to you, but it's the book I grow up with ... Harry Potter ...

I think it is just as believable as the bible and has quotes greater than the Bible ...

I believe that there is no God, but Dumbledore ... smile

smile smile smile

2. ajwrites57 profile image83

Here's a quote from The Guardian UK 2008--- Despite the furious pace of sales, Harry Potter will still have his work cut out to catch the Bible, which, according to the Guinness Book of Records, has sold 2.5bn copies since 1815, and has been translated into 2,233 languages or dialects. Billion.

3. Chris Neal profile image79

Saying that the Bible is your favorite book (as I did) in response to a direct question is not the same as throwing it up in your face. Yeah, she may have gotten a wee bit enthusiastic, but she didn't go on to claim that anyone not reading the Bible was basically sub-par.

4. Chris Neal profile image79

And it's not childish to like Harry Potter in and of itself. I listed The Little Prince, and the Alice books by Lewis Caroll are also personal favorites. Sometimes great truths are stashed in "childish" books. And nostalgia is also very powerful.

17. Anna Haven profile image71
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

It would be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin for me. I was spellbound on first reading and I think it is so well crafted that  it makes it kind of timeless.

1. profile image0

I own it, but have never read it. I think that I might just have to read it!

18. getitrite profile image70
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

DARE TO WIN, By Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen

Life changing perspectives toward self motivation.  I suggest it to all who want to be seriously successful.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Weren't they the master minds behind the Chicken Soup series?  I'd trust that their other stuff would be pretty good.  big_smile

1. profile image0

Love the Chicken Soup books, so much!

2. getitrite profile image70
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes they are the master minds behind Chicken Soup for the Soul.  I read many motivational books in the 90s, but 'Dare To Win' was the only one that had a significant impact.  I gave a copy to a college student who had decided to drop out.  Once he read the book, not only did he go back to college, but was, for the first time in his life, on the Dean's List.  He also lost the extra weight he had been carrying for awhile.

1. profile image0

That's impressive!

I think one of my favorites of the 90's was The Tao of Pooh.  It gave me a new perspective on Pooh, of course, and introduced me to concepts that I found very helpful in my personal life at the time.

19. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Mine are:

East of Eden - by John Steinbeck
    To Kill a Mockingbird - by Harper Lee
    The Thorn Birds - by Colleen McCollough
    The Velveteen Rabbit
    Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    Spoon River Anthology -  by Edgar Lee Masters

1. profile image0

My mom loves The Thornbirds and To Kill A Mockingbird is wonderful!

2. Chris Neal profile image79

Alexander is definitely one of the greats!

1. profile image0

I have loved it from the moment I read it.  I had a copy that I carried well into my adult years, but it got lost somewhere in a move.  sad

I think we lose something as adults when we can't appreciate the innate wisdom in some children's stories.

Hope you're well, Chris.  Think of and pray for you often. 

smile

Thank you, I will take that where I can get it.

Have you ever read "Love You Forever?" That's one of those books that's supposed to be for kids but the parents treasure it more than their children do. It still brings a tear to my eye.

1. profile image0

I may have.  The title sounds very familiar.  If not, I will as soon as I can! 

Well, trust that you're prayed for in my home and heart as often as I think of you!  Your year hasn't been easy, I know.

smile

20. cre8ivOne profile image68
    cre8ivOneposted 11 years ago

What a tough question!
    I have several different books that could be considered my favorites, because I divide them into different genres.

Here are a few that have left a lasting impression on me:
    *A Prayer for Owen Meany~ John Irving
    *My Sister's Keeper~Jodi Piccoult
    * The Giver ~ Lois Lowry
    *The Secret Life of Bees~ Sue Monk Kidd
    *Pride and Prejudice ~ Jane Austin

1. profile image0

I own Pride and Prejudice, but have actually never read it. I hear that My Sister's Keeper is a very good book.

1. cre8ivOne profile image68
        cre8ivOneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is indeed.  I have put a few books up that face you with moral decisions.

1. profile image0

Love that idea!

21. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

It is very hard to pick out just one book as being the favorite of all time. There are a number of books/authors that I love and consider favorites of mine. These include all books by Luanne Rice and all books by Thomas Kinkade.

22. Shanaaya profile image60
    Shanaayaposted 11 years ago

my all time favourite book,novel i should say.. " A thousands splendid suns by khalid hosseini.. smile
    beautifully written....

23. adity5 profile image76
    adity5posted 11 years ago

'A Walk to remember', 'Twilight' and 'Harry Potter' are my all time favorites smile

24. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Always wanted to read the count of monte cristo, but haven't yet. its one of my favorite stories.

Off the top of my head, my favorite book is probably No Compromise by Melody Green.

That book holds a special place for me.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which one?

No Compromise

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Life changing.

25. Theophanes profile image91
    Theophanesposted 11 years ago

Sometimes a Great Notion [Ken Kesey] has to be my all time favorite book. Its a very difficult read and extremely undermentioned but when you finally  get the hang of reading it something really strange happens... its as if your transported into a real scenario and instead of feeling like you're in a movie or a situation you feel almost like an accidental voyeur and almost want to look away. Its such a raw intimate look at the characters and their world its startling. It is also a book you can read 100 times and get something completely different out of it every time.

I also very much appreciate A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe which I find to be a superb piece of satire.

Thirdly there is a kid's chapter book I read first when I was maybe ten called The Worldly Adventure of a Teenage Tycoon which to this day makes me laugh (and cringe.) It's an autobiographical account of a boy growing up during the great depression, as his wall street father goes a bit wacky, but don't be fooled the story is all about the boy and the trouble he gets into. Hilarious.

26. Sphinxs Sanctum profile image60
    Sphinxs Sanctumposted 11 years ago

I mostly read True Crime now but when I was much younger, I cut my teeth on Anne Rice & to this day I Love the elegantly evolved characters from "The Witching Hour."

1. profile image0

I love True Crime books!

27. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 11 years ago

"Or I'll Dress You In Mourning" by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre!

28. Samith Jhon profile image59
    Samith Jhonposted 11 years ago

My all time favourite is definitely a series - Harry Potter! big_smile

1. profile image0

You all have such great ideas for books! I love to read and do so whenever I have free time. A lot of these books I have never heard of, so I will definitely have to check them out!

29. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

My most favorite is the Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.

1. profile image0

Love it!

30. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 11 years ago

Ones with Boobies! big_smile only joking....my favorite book is the one that I haven't used for toilet paper and that is The Thief of Always by Clive Barker.....such a classic!

31. Jana2 profile image59
    Jana2posted 11 years ago

I love Nicholas Sparks books! Dear John, The Last Song, etc
    But I need to definitely read some more books... I've just been reading some online lately.

32. ellemichele profile image67
    ellemicheleposted 11 years ago

I am personally a fan of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

It's almost impossible for me to choose just one favorite book, but this is the one I have fallen in love with most recently.

Also, I'm obsessed with Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). It's such a great book for women! smile

1. Valorie Esquilona profile image61
      Valorie Esquilonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm crazy about "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by the german philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche.  It's a philosophical novel and it has a very good plot.

33. PDXBuys profile image80
    PDXBuysposted 11 years ago

"The Martian Chronicles" (1950) by Ray Bradbury.  A close second is "The Illustrated Man" (1951) also by Bradbury.

Both very good!

34. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

My favorite book is Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)