Plagiarist Stealing Entire HP Site

Jump to Last Post 1-38 of 38 discussions (93 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

A guy in Saudi Arabia is stealing the entire HubPages site.  If you have a Hub, it has been stolen. You can find the URL of your stolen Hubs by following the navigation from this topic page:
    http://     hla7.com/hub/index.php?q=uggc%3A%2F%2Fuhocntrf.pbz%2Fgbcvpf%2Fnyy%2F1
    (remove spaces)

The site is hosted by Unified Layer, which is a known thief of entire websites and installer of malware, according to spamhaus.org. Unified Layer is a reseller of hosting services from Hostgator. File your DMCA requests on this form:
    http://www.hostgator.com/dmca

It would be so simple for HP just to block these IP addresses from accessing the site:
    ns6541.hostgator.com
    ns6542.hostgator.com

1. quiterandom profile image67
      quiterandomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow, terrible. Thanks for the heads up and resources.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image59
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's a mirror copy!
      Where is the staff??

3. AMFredenburg profile image72
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HubPages needs to do something about this as a company; letting its writers try to fight this on its own is ridiculous. I've hesitated to put a lot of effort into writing for HubPages because of this type of issue, and while I've got a list of articles I want to put onto the site I am very reluctant to do so if this is not addressed at the highest level of HubPages.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Google FAIL.  If they are so good at penalizing--then they should see the newer date on that site, and penalize their rankings, as stolen content....

1. aa lite profile image86
        aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How do you know Google is not doing that?  Are we being outranked by the thief?

5. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

A Hub Pages friend went out to the site and found every one of my hubs out there. Yikes. What concerns me is that we are giving this thief a LOT of traffic views! That is exactly what they want.

6. AMAZING THINKER profile image59

Everyone, Just as a precaution, change your IP address.

1. Click on "Start" in the bottom left hand corner of screen
      2. Click on "Run"
      3. Type in "cmd" and hit ok

You should now be at an MSDOS prompt screen.

Type "ipconfig /release" just like that, and hit "enter"
      Type "exit" and leave the prompt
      Right-click on "Network Places" or "My Network Places" on your desktop.
      Click on "properties"

You should now be on a screen with something titled "Local Area Connection", or something like that, and, if you have a network hooked up, all of your other networks.

Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click "properties"
      Double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list under the "General" tab
      Click on "Use the following IP address" under the "General" tab
      Create an IP address (It doesn't matter what it is. I just type 1 and 2 until i fill the area up).
      Press "Tab" and it should automatically fill in the "Subnet Mask" section with default numbers.
      Hit the "Ok" button here
      Hit the "Ok" button again

You should now be back to the "Local Area Connection" screen.

Right-click back on "Local Area Connection" and go to properties again.
      Go back to the "TCP/IP" settings
      This time, select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
      Hit "Ok"
      Hit "Ok" again
      You now have a new IP address.

1. findwholeness profile image89
        findwholenessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why is this necessary?

2. quiterandom profile image67

Yeah, this has nothing to do with hubpages, and only changes your local (i.e., the IP address of your computer BEHIND your router) I.P. address. This will not affect anything.

Actually, reading your post, you may cause peopel to NOT be able to connect to the internet anymore. Changing your IP address to something random doesn't work. It must be part of your local IP address schema, such as 192.168.0.XXX, the x's being between 0 and 255 (usually 0 is your router) and can not have the same numbers as another device on your local network. The first 3 sets of numbers must be the same as your local network domain, or you will not be able to connect.

This is bad advice. Do not follow it.

Once you hit the "obtain ip address automatically" in his last step, the router will probably just assign you the same IP you had before, anyway, so you will either be offline and not remember how to get back to being assigned an IP address, or will just have the same ip address as before, or be assigned a new one in the same private ip address block, none of which help with anything.

7. Vinaya Ghimire profile image79
      Vinaya Ghimireposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can see my entire sub-domain being stolen.Thanks for letting us know.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is that site keeping our user names or changing the authors to the hubs? Sorry, I am afraid to click on that site.

1. Thelma Alberts profile image90
          Thelma Albertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me, too Faith Reaper.

2. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Last time it was France.  Interesting. Thanks for posting the link to file the DMCA. You do have to wonder sometimes if HP staff really does anything at all to help stop scraping. It seems to happen a lot and filling out all these complaints gets tiresome.

3. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Is the owner in another country?  Or the server itself?  Thanks for info.

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The owner is in Saudi Arabia; the hosting company is American.

4. brakel2 profile image72

Is the owner in another country?  Or the server itself?  Thanks for info.

5. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 10 years ago

Oh my, how can these people not get in trouble? I mean this is stealing not 1-2 articles, but the whole site along with pictures, logos etc!

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If enough people file complaints it should be taken down pretty quickly.  People in other countries often don't concern themselves with our copyright laws as they are pretty much untouchable.  He'll probably do it again with a different domain and host etc.

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image59

It has happened before to a popular tech blog: Digital Inspiration (labnol.org).
        All HP has to do is file a complain to Google, they'll penalize it. Then contact the owner/ Host. It's obvious who is the real owner, so it should be taken down pretty quick!!

6. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

I checked half a dozen of my hubs and they don't seem to be copied. Thanks for the info though, will stay alert.

@ innerspin, no sir, they are all copied.
      All of yours.

They are here:

http://hla7.   com/hub/index.php?q=uggc%3A%2F%2Fuhocntrf.pbz%2Ffrnepu%2Fvaarefcva

Copy this and paste it in your browser, remove the spaces between the hla7. and the com.

1. innerspin profile image86
        innerspinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

quiterandom thanks, found them now. Maybe they've not been crawled yet. I'll get on the case filing complaints, and by the way, I'm female smile Appreciate your help.

Sorry, Ma'am. smile

7. Jenn-Anne profile image73
    Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

I wonder if this is partly to blame for my traffic falling way off this weekend...

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here. It's not just us being robbed blind. HubPages is being robbed blind of real money as well.

2. quiterandom profile image67

My traffic, small as it was, completely fell off the map this weekend.
      I have not seen the hla7 site come up in my google searches, though.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
        CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All of my traffic halted and dropped.  Now I'm only seeing blue arrows down the page.

1. janshares profile image94
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We also haven't had a stat update in 37 hours so that may be contributing.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
            CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  I surely hope so.

3. Writer Fox profile image32

The traffic to most of my Hubs falls off on Fridays and Saturdays, but then picks back up on Sundays.  Since stats haven't been updated in 14 hours, I don't know my traffic status today. Plagiarized pages don't have to out-rank your Hubs in search results to have a negative effect behind the scenes in the Google algorithm.

Right, I wasn't implying they had to. Just their existence can pull traffic away.

4. findwholeness profile image89

I was wondering why mine was falling, too. sad

8. brakel2 profile image72

If Writer Fox says whole site copied, believe him.  The reason I say this is sometimes it does not show up. My copied site at blogger did not show up. I found it by accident.

9. quiterandom profile image67
    quiterandomposted 10 years ago

My hubs are not showing up at that site in google search... yet.
    They are there, but have not been crawled or indexed by google yet, apparently.

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image59

It has a alexa rank of 266,541.
      A lot of people are visiting that site.

Well, one of my hubs is first in google and bing searches, and I did not see the fake hub in the first few pages of either.

I have a feeling it will gain though, if not killed quickly.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can google "site:hla7.com/hub/" and see that only 70 pages have been crawled and indexed between about september 27 and october 3 (based on the cache dates I looked at), and most of them are topic pages not hubs.  Whoever is running that site appear to now be redirecting all those urls to site16.net, so it seems like they've probably gotten the message.   

It's very unlikely that this would have any impact on search traffic, and it is essentially impossible to prevent this sort of thing technically.  It's worth monitoring for a bit, but at this point I don't think there is much to be gained by more Hubber's visiting the site or filing DMCA complaints. There is more information on content theft in the Learning Center that may be worth reading.

If you go to the bottom of the site16 site, you'll see Squidoo and Hubpages on the bottom menu.  The Hubpages link redirects back to site16, but the Squidoo link goes to a scraped version of the Squidoo website.  Looks like they've started to scrape that one now.  Someone who contributes to that website should post a notice on the Squidoo forum.

2. Rock_nj profile image90
        Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about making copying from HubPages impossible.  I have been on sites that do not allow you to highlight and copy content.  What is stopping HP from doing this?  It would cut down on the scraping.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

You can work around that by simply fetching the HTML of the Hub using a bot, by disabling javascript, or any number of other ways.  So all it really prevents is manual cutting and pasting of text from your Hub by non-technically sophisticated people, who may have perfectly legitimate reason to do so (such as quoting a sentence or two).  Anyway, that's definitely not what is happening here or with most of the other sites that people complain about as being mass plagiarists.

You can flip this around and look at being scraped from as a compliment and a sign of success.  It happens all the time to every popular, high traffic, content site.  Take a sentence from any old New York Times article from the last week or two and you'll find copies all over the internet.  Do you think that's something they worry about?  Do they have a team of people filing DMCA complaints?  I very much doubt it.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
            Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about if HP changes to a database served HTML environment, such as ASP, so the HTML can't just be downloaded?  Would that help?  Somebody must be working on a way to protect published content on the Internet.  There would be huge demand for a solution to this too easy to copy problem.

There is talk of building DRM into HTML5, at least for video.  If you can do it for video, you can certainly do it for text and images too.  I believe there are already ways to protect pdfs (and ebooks).   But DRM is not really compatible with getting traffic from search engines, and of course is also not particularly consumer friendly.

10. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Under Islamic law, thieves in some countries get their hand chopped off. Since there are several men named Bader Fahad, I would like the authorities to have the correct address of the content thief.  He is:

Bader Fahad
    Aljzaeer Street Box 52169
    Mkkah
    Makkkah
    Saudi Arabia
    Phone:         +966.503595080

Anyone having business dealings with this man should know that you are dealing with a thief.

Now, hopefully this post will show up on search engines when people search for his name.

Tempted to make a quick website with this information that points to this thread to help google realize how important this is in it's searches...
      I'll see what I can do after lunch.

11. brakel2 profile image72

My traffic was better but now is in the doldrums. We must make that site disappear.

12. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

*&)(*(#$@(*%#@$#@$&*(#$@*&#$@*^$#!@!!!!!!

Just what we don't need!!  And with over 200 hubs, I'd have to file a separate DCMA for each one??!!  That sucks the big one!!

Should Hub Pages not be acting on this post-haste, in in their own best interests, if not in ours????

1. findwholeness profile image89

When I filed, I just submitted the link to my profile, not each separate hub.

1. brakel2 profile image72
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is cut in half. I wonder if this is the cause. How does traffic look for others?

13. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

By the way--the OP says that in addition to the plagiarism, this site is a "known installer of malware."  So---perhaps we are at risk of infecting our computers simply by following the link to that site to check for stolen content!!

I think it has already hit and affected HP, or perhaps my computer--for when I hit the 'reply' button under the OP, I was instead returned to the HP main news feed page!! 
    That's why I've put this as a separate post, as I was unable to post it as a reply to the OP in that location (top of page)
    I'm going to run my virus scanner/fixer now!

The distributor of malware was the pass-through hosting company, in other words, the reseller of hostgator's hosting service.  The site itself is hosted on hostgator's servers and that is a highly reputable company. 

(I run a virus scanner about a dozen times a day, just because I'm all over the Internet looking at competitor's sites, etc.)

14. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

It happens over and over again.  Maybe it's because we're so good wink
    Thanks for the up-date.

15. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

My traffic looks the same (not that great) but my hub scores have dropped, best performing hub by 9 points. This happened within hours, not even overnight.

16. Froggy213 profile image61
    Froggy213posted 10 years ago

Thanks Writer Fox--I promptly filed DMCA with Hostgator--I just filed on my profile and explained to them he copied my whole subdomain.

I do believe that this is where Hubpages should be doing the battle for us.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My question to you disappeared...I was asking how to file a DCMA on your whole profile?

The complaint form reads thusly: 
      "Identify the material that you claim is infringing the copyrighted work listed in item #1 above. You must identify each web page that allegedly contains infringing material. This requires you to provide the URL for each allegedly infringing result, document or item.

Location (URL) of infringing third party content. (Please enter one URL per line)"

(bold/italic emphases are mine.) I have over 200 hubs--I don't have time to do that!!

1. Froggy213 profile image61
        Froggy213posted 10 years agoin reply to this

By putting your profile and explaining that you are the subdomain owner, you also explain that all articles attached to said subdomain are also copied--Hostgator will figure it out and there is a good chance they will cut his hosting.

17. aware profile image67
    awareposted 10 years ago

i had over 70 poems and short story's on this site. the reason i took most down is for two reasons. the first being unfair content editing . the second is for theft of  content ideas. people use this medium as a content farm. like  kids in school writing book reports  by just rearranging words from a encyclopedia. sorry if i digressed .

18. Niki Holley profile image60
    Niki Holleyposted 10 years ago

I JUST signed up for HP a couple hours ago. I haven't even decided what to write a hub about. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to just shut it down and walk away.

1. LeanMan profile image78
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Niki, don't give in before you even start.. This sort of thieving happens all of the time online, people will steal whole pages, paragraphs from your work or even whole books will be regurgitated on someones website..
      Sometimes this is done by someone that really does not understand that they are stealing and other times it is done by assholes like this who think they can get rich quick of of someone else's hard work..

That being said Google is not that stupid, they can and do manage to identify the original piece of work and generally the copies are rarely sent traffic.

19. Carola Finch profile image91
    Carola Finchposted 10 years ago

Here is a fast and easy way to copy link addresses.  Go to your "My Hub Statistics" page.  Right click with your mouse on the name of the article.  On the menu, click on "copy link address."  Presto, you have copied the link address and can paste it anywhere -word, text, whatever.  Then when you have your list, just cut and paste into the HubPages form.

20. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

OH, ok...ugh.. I just put my subdomain, and stated that the entire HP site was being mirror-copied, and that with thousands of authors, and over 200 articles myself, that it would be too many URL's to provide.......

Should I post a follow-up with that additional information?

I believe when they get mutiple complaints, it will work. Hang tuff.

21. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 10 years ago

Been so long since I've been back to this site.  I left because of copied content.  It never seems to end!!
    sad >.<

22. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

If the entire site was copied, shouldn't HubPages staff tackle that issue, as well?

1. LeanMan profile image78
      LeanManposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's still the weekend............ 9 to 5 Monday to Friday for anything to happen at HP.... But I guess they will get on this one if it is the whole site... after coffee and a bagel with cream cheese and maybe a nice danish...

23. Healthyannie profile image87
    Healthyannieposted 10 years ago

I feel pretty sure that Hubpages staff will get onto this as this is a big problem, and it is certainly in their interest to do.

24. Froggy213 profile image61

It has already been evident that we cannot count on staff to handle this--but I know that I don't allow thievery from me:

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Your DMCA has been accepted and processed. Please allow the standard 48 hours for a resolution. If no resolution has been reached in that time the material in question will be disabled. If there is anything we can assist you with in the meantime, please let us know.

Regards,

Michael Karr
    Senior Security Administrator
    HostGator.com LLC
    http://support.hostgator.com

25. DreamerMeg profile image79
    DreamerMegposted 10 years ago

Thanks for this info. I have filed a DMCA with hostgator and received a reply.

26. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I have filed a DMCA as well. Thanks for letting us know about this.

27. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

I have filed one, as well.  I do hope the HP staff takes this seriously.

28. brakel2 profile image72

My traffic started dropping a week ago and now has numerous blue arrows. That coincides with the above dates. I think plagiarists may be ruining our traffic. Let's hope for good days.

29. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Hub Pages Staff:  The thievery of this site is beginning to happen several times a month now.  By not doing something about this or registering a complaint by the staff for the entire site you are sending the message to the thieves that it is okay to just keep on stealing our hubs and entire pages.  You are sending a message to your writers that you do not care about them and its 'every man for himself.'  Surely, staff, you are loosing money also, not just the individual writers. 

It is time for the staff to become involved and start filing plagarism complaints for the site as a whole.   HP apparently is a target to anyone out there on the web that wants to make a fast buck by stealing pages of hubs from us.  To do nothing is encouraging more and more to attack us in this manner and steal our writings.

The only traffic the HubPages content got on that site most likely came from this forum thread.  If direct profit was their motive, they were woefully inept because they did not even change out the ad code, so unless you are not enrolled in the HubPages Ad Program and are using the AdSense Authorized Sites feature you still may have earned from whatever tiny traffic those pages got.

As I said here, only 70 of those pages were even in the Google index and few of those were Hubs.   70 indexed pages means it isn't likely to have any impact on search (in fact, traffic is up 3% today over last Monday).  I agree with LeanMan that these naive proxy and scraper sites really aren't worth worrying too much about.

We do not own your content on HubPages so legally we can not file DMCA complaints on your behalf.  In rare cases of rampant abuse, we may be able to block the crawler of a proxy or rip-off site like this from accessing HubPages, but if we do that it  is really very easy for them to circumvent that if they are determined to do so. 

In short, there is really no simple technical or legal thing that HubPages can do.   While I sympathize with not wanting your work copied somewhere, the real point  is that this sort of thing has little or no impact on traffic or earnings, and if you like you can probably just ignore it without consequence.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it was Paul Edmondson who once posted words to the effect of "if your long-tail hub title is number one in the search engines, everything is fine. If it isn't (and all the plagiarists show above you), you have a problem".

I had that problem. Everyone who copied my work showed above me in search. My traffic was decimated. My earnings were decimated. None of you helped me. I had no warnings from Google about my account.

I appealed (twice) just in case they had made a mistake.

Google thought I had done nothing wrong. I thought I had done nothing wrong. But every single one of my (then) 500 hubs took second place to the dirty, thieving scum you have mentioned above as having little consequence on earnings.

You might want to re-think that statement.

I'm not familiar with the history of your particular situation, but if that happened it's more likely that the scrapers were exposing a weakness in the authority of your subdomain rather than being the cause of it.  Could that cost you some traffic?  Sure, but if you aren't ranking well to begin with, probably not too much (e.g. When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose).

Now, that doesn't mean that your Subdomain *deserved* to have that level of authority, but things were pretty grim for a lot of new Hubs in the first half of 2011.  In its early days Panda was a blunt instrument, but it has been honed quite a bit since then (and we are seeing new Hubs rank pretty well again in the last 6-12 months).   Of course, even well tuned algorithms don't always get everything right.

2. Susana S profile image91
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you responding to this issue Paul, and letting people know that the sky isn't falling down!

30. SagaSphere profile image63
    SagaSphereposted 10 years ago

I just discovered a completely different website that stole half of my content from a personal website two weeks ago, when my affiliate links where being tracked back to the website. The thief stole straight code!!
    These crooks are rampid and need to be dealt with harshly. There should be fines associated with these offenses.

31. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

Funny you mentioned the year 2011.

Bad year to write for HP, in my experience.

My traffic halved after Panda, in the February, but stayed pretty buoyant that summer,

It soared when subdomains were introduced, then collapsed into oblivion three weeks later.

Every single one of my hubs have been stolen to that point.  It really didn't help that at that time you allowed a lot of hubs to be published that described Hubpages as a content directory.

These hubs told the world that all content on the site could be copied and re-used. They might still be published for all I know.

Stuff I wrote in 2012 can still be ranked. Stuff I wrote in 2013 got sunk. Yes I know some new subs are doing well. Good luck with those smile

1. HollieT profile image81
      HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And it doesn't last!

1. bgpappa profile image78
        bgpappaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So, unless I am reading this wrong, Hubpages response is sit tight and hope it goes away. We don't want to do anything?  Explain a lot.

32. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Um...am I missing something?? When I follow the link shown in the first post, I don't see any Hubs. I get re-directed to a forum page where people are apparently trading illegal rips of TV shows and movies. Needless to say I got the hell outta there before my computer contracted anything funky.

He was told immediately from his host to remove it. I believe he probably figured it would be in his best interest to do so. Now, who is next? Writer Fox??

33. Froggy213 profile image61

I was contacted by Hostgator this morning and the theft has been removed.

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thats good news...so where will he pop up next? roll

2. findwholeness profile image89

Good!

1. brakel2 profile image72
        brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Greatest news of the day. Good job. Thanks for your work on this crisis everyone.

3. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bump

34. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

I, too, received an e-mail from hostgator referencing my ticket number, saying that the copied material had been removed.
    Hopefully, this won't happen anymore.  (yeah, right.)

35. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Fyi, I filed my first DMCA with prezi.com after finding parts of a recipe hub word for word. The response was swift. The offender was "Brenda A" and the copy has been taken down. Thanks, Writer Fox for emphasizing diligence in looking after our copyrights.

36. brakel2 profile image72

Congrats Jan. good job. I know it will never end

37. Doodlehead profile image48
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

Gee-I looked and they didn't steal mine....it would probably help my traffic if they did!

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The whole site is now re-directing to site.16. net.

It was a mirror site, so you were there without me looking and proving it to you.

Nice work, guys. Don't anyone click on any links in their new site, just let them sink.

38. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

It looks like this site has been taken down!  Good work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)