What would you do if you woke up tomorrow and Hub Pages was gone?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (157 posts)
  1. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12041287.jpg

Serious question. Imagine if you woke up and discovered HP was gone ... as in closed up shop.

What would you do?

1. aerospacefan profile image83
      aerospacefanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would be up chip's creek. I haven't backed up my hubs on anything I'd feel good about. I guess I'm wondering if something like this could really even happen?

2. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm a bit the same.... have some of my hubs saved in Open Office format, but not all. 

When you think of all the huge - gi-normous - amount of data and information that has been put into Cyberspace over the past 20 years, if the Internet ever crashed, our planet would almost stop spinning!

Back in the mid-1980s, I started off with a little laptop, called the Tandy 100.  It had all of 24,000 bites of memory and any backup required went onto a tape cassette!  Data from the day's work was dumped via serial cable into my 286, top-of-the-line computer, with 40 meg hard disk, and into the Q&A Data Base by Symantec.

Sorry, I digress....must do something about those back-ups.  And I would sorely miss the arguments we get in discussions.

1. Ruby H Rose profile image60
        Ruby H Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Egads!

3. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gosh - I'd lose a whole $10 or $15 a month.

We'd have to move in with one of our kids, I guess.  Even with that, it would be hard.

misterhollywoodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

so you'd be near homeless smile

1. profile image0

$10-$15 per month?!!!!!   I've been in here for 3 years and feeling rich at $10.50 total so far.... gee, what it feels like to be rich!  lol

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One more nickel and I will have five bucks so far. This could buy me a space for the night to toss my cardboard bed on.  lol

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
            The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is more than me. big_smile

2. Marie Flint profile image72
            Marie Flintposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What a shame, Phyllis. I love your historically researched hubs!
            I'll have to read some more and start sharing on social sites.
            Blessings!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I was not serious about that, Marie.

4. HSP Connections profile image73
      HSP Connectionsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd shrug and take it as final evidence that it's a better idea to publish my own content on my own sites rather than depend on someone else.

And I'd be grateful for a lifetime of living with outdated technology always at the edge of breaking down... as a result of which I back up everything I do "at the moment of creation."

5. The Examiner-1 profile image61

I would look up my Hubs on Pinterest, Twitter or G+ or maybe Google to see if I could find them and search for somewhere else to write. Like I might start on About.com and try improving on my blog.

Hey I never thought of that but that's a good idea!!

6. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have copies of all of my hubs, photos and notes saved on both my hard drive and a cloud drive so I wouldn't lose anything if HP disappeared.  I would simply build a website and move everything there.

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Saving on a cloud drive is a really good idea - so long as it can handle the file format.

1. OldRoses profile image93
          OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Makingamar, I do everything in Word and save on Microsoft's cloud drive.

7. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, I don't know!!  I would say, perish the thought of such a thing! 

I would be sad.  To me, one of the great things about HP is that it has held in for the long haul, or so it seemed.  Surely, there would have to be warning though.  Its an unpleasant thought at best, for me. sad

8. lisavanvorst profile image62
      lisavanvorstposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would be very disappointed. I really do not make money on hubpages, I write for the passion of writing and enjoying reading other hubs. I suppose if hubpages were gone I would look for other reputable writers forums.

9. profile image57
      CL EDWARDSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd be a little disappointed as well.

10. profile image57
      CL EDWARDSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd be a little disappointed as well.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Shrug and move on -- what else is there to do?

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is what I would do too.

2. aesta1 profile image92
      aesta1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to do the same. This is just a fun engagement for me.

3. misterhollywood profile image91

What about your content? I assume everyone here backs up but I've had friends who have shared they actually don't have original copies anymore of text.

Honestly, I'd be screwed because I've written stuff and can't find the hard copy text. Sad to admit!

I have all of my web content saved.

Actually, I think I would go forward with my passion of creating artwork and jewelry to sale locally.

So there would be life after?

Absolutely! I am living my dream in the heartbeat of a pristine wilderness.

Love it!!

2. Ruby H Rose profile image60

Agreed, what a fast new frontier of wilderness it is, yahoo!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

There's always Google cache

1. neosurk profile image87
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also, the web archive at archive.org

2. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I used to take part on a scrabble forum. I know, I always pick the exciting crowds. But they had to close it down b/c we were to raucous for them... or whatever. But I can still access that puppy even though the site is closed down. I guess that is google cache?

5. misterhollywood profile image91

I wonder how far that goes back?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have stuff in there from 1997.

6. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

A man was sitting near a huge well and chanting "12,12,12,12....". A curious passerby came to him and asked: "What are you counting?"

The man pushed the inquirer into the well and went and chanting "13,13,13,13..."

Hope you enjoy this joke.

Relating to this story, I will be counting Hubpages too in the number of websites in which I wrote, that was subsequently closed!!

Did that happen to you - where you woke up and found the site closed?

Btw loved your joke!!

1. C.V.Rajan profile image59
        C.V.Rajanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

(1,1,1,) Howtothings,com, (2,2,2,,)  Suite101, (3,3,3) Helium, (4,4,4) Associated Contents, (5,5,5) Bukisa !!

waiting for counting 6,6,6... Hubpages! (But it looks Hubpages is too tough a nut to crack so easily!)

Actually, these sites didn't close just like that. Time was available to retrieve articles. Out of these, Bukisa is frozen, with some 70+ articles of mine stuck there with no avenue of communication with site owners.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it happened to everyone on Today.com.

7. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I would just move on, too - with a little sadness. I have three copies of all my hubs. One on my computer, one on Google.docs, and one on a saved disk - all with the URLs.  Google docs is good because it shows the original date which cannot be changed, so it is a very solid/valid record of proof.

MrH - going forward, you really should keep copies with the URLs somewhere.

Phyllis's I am so glad you suggested this. Honest, I really have not been doing this!!

I really like Google docs. Not only is it good backup, but it corrects my spelling and grammar errors.  smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Phyllis. I didn't know Google docs existed. The problem is now it will take for ever for me to copy them. I have most of them saved on my computer, but it would be better to have them saved in more than one place.

Barbara,
            Just copy the entire Hub and paste it there in one shot.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Hi Phyllis, good idea.  When you do that, do you make that copy to google.docs when you create a new hub?  Can I ask your process?

Hi oceansnsunsets. I don't mind sharing my process. It is one that makes creating a hub a bit time-consuming, but, it is worth it.

Notepad:  When an idea for a hub comes to me, I begin writing it down in notepad on my computer. Title is the date (ie: 120714) and a temporary title. The hub may stay in this stage for days as I research for facts, images, etc.. I type in all my image links and info at the bottom of the article.  When I feel it is complete, I edit, separate into titled capsules and assign its final title. This is my first saved copy and stays on my computer in my HubPages folder.

Google.docs:  I upload my new hub to Google.docs and edit the heck out of it. This is where I insert, in the appropriate places, links to images. This is my second saved copy and it is online.  When I am pleased with the results I can go to HubPages and start a hub.

Disk: Before going to HubPages,  I save this finished copy to a disk. This is my third saved copy.

HubPages: I open the Google.docs copy of my article and copy/paste each capsule to my HP "Create a Hub" one capsule at a time, which I edit as I go along.  The links to images that show on my Google.doc copy is a reminder to me as to where to find the image in my pictures folder, so I can upload that particular image to the hub in the correct place. When the hub looks pleasing to me, I go through and edit the entire article again. Then I add one or two Amazon/eBay caps. I fill out info in the 'Display Options' (ads on, group, copyright notice). This many time edited hub is actually my fourth saved copy and it is online. So, I have two online saved copies, one saved copy on my computer, and one saved copy on disk.

And you know what? Even after all that editing, I may still find that a word is misspelled or some other minor mistake. So, back into the hub I go to correct what needs to be corrected and hit the publish button.

Geesh! I could have written a hub about this process.  yikes

Edit: PS - even after all that editing, I have a dear friend (a hubber) who catches any error/mistake in my hub and quietly notifies me. bless his heart.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Phyllis, wow, thank you!   I appreciate you sharing that so much. smile  I think its great to have a friend that lets you know about mistakes, and can let you know on the side.  For some reason, our own errors can't be seen by us as easily, but might stick out like a sore thumb to someone else.  I have a friend that I do that with and does that with me, when we catch that sort of thing.  I never mind that, and am thankful to know of the typo, etc.

It sounds somewhat time consuming, all that you do, but how great you have the back up if you need it! smile  A security and great safeguard. Thanks again.

2. profile image0

Errr...Phyllis, Dear, would you consider becoming my Secretary?   You are soooo organised!

But the question is, would you charge me more than you get income from HubPages account? wink

Fantastic account of "the way you do things," and worth an attempt on my part to emulate.

Thank you.!  smile

8. Sam Montana profile image81
    Sam Montanaposted 9 years ago

All of your articles should be backed up. Since I usually use Word to write an article and then copy and paste it, I have every article saved, on several flash drives. Many writers had to back up all their articles they had on YCN when it was announced they were going away.

Good idea Sam. I can't imagine how horrible it would be to find out the site where your articles were being displayed/stored was going away or had closed! Ugh

9. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I would be sad. This is the first and only site I write on. The thought of starting over is overwhelming. I would be forced to learn the ins and outs of the trade for real and not just stumble through figuring it out like I did on HP. I probably wouldn't do anything initially. It's good to know about archive.org, neosurk. I save the text of my hub when I write the original but with changes, edits, and updates, who actually has the latest copy of their hub?

Anyway, interesting question but call me a naive optimist. I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I do!  I keep copies of every article along with a list of titles that include the dates when they were written and the word count.

Each time I update I take a minute to copy and paste the article where the old one was located, and I update the title if necessary.  This way I always have a current copy of my work and can find it easily because I also group my articles, ie:  RV Finance, RV Maintenance, etc.

10. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

I hope HubPages does not close-up shop and keeps on going strong...

A better question might be, "What would you do if there was no internet when you woke up one day?"  Hopefully, World War III will never be declared, so that won't happen.

11. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

I'd cry a little, then I'd get over it.

12. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

I'd find something else to do.

13. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

I'm close to my first payout. As long as they paid me what they owed, despite not reaching the payout threshold--then it's all good. Luckily, this is all hypothetical, I doubt they'll call it quits so abruptly after server upgrades, acquiring Squidoo, new editors, new hub layouts, so on and so forth.

Nothing lasts forever, especially good things.

14. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

See what's on Netflix.

ROFL!!

2. Ruby H Rose profile image60

Yeah, I got some Amazon Prime movies all lined up to watch.

15. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Beth, you Netflix urchin!

1. Sed-me profile image80

Im going to report you for calling me a:
      a mischievous young child, especially one who is poorly or raggedly dressed.
      synonyms:    ragamuffin, waif, stray; More
      imp, rascal, street urchin;
      derogatoryguttersnipe;
      scapegrace;
      datedgamin
      "Mrs. Duffy made frequent complaints about the urchins who played stickball on her street"
      archaic
      a goblin.
      short for sea urchin.

No one calls me a:
      a mischievous young child, especially one who is poorly or raggedly dressed.
      synonyms:    ragamuffin, waif, stray; More
      imp, rascal, street urchin;
      derogatoryguttersnipe;
      scapegrace;
      datedgamin
      "Mrs. Duffy made frequent complaints about the urchins who played stickball on her street"
      archaic
      a goblin.
      short for sea urchin.

... and gets away with it!

16. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 9 years ago

With the mess I've made of my account, and with my thinking about what I shoujld/shouldn't do with the whole mix of remaining Hubs (old, new, half-decent and/or otherwise), I'd kind of be put of my misery in a lot of ways.    lol

In all seriousness, I've put a whole lot of writing on a whole lot of sites, and the only one left that operates the way this one does (as opposed to, say, Triond - and I don't even know if I still have an account there at all, or if they're still even up and running); and this one is pretty much the only one left that I've invested much time in.

Except for some sentimental attachment and a hope that HP thrives for a long time, discovering an overnight close-up wouldn't be a problem for me.  I not only have all kinds of copies of everything I've ever written here, or anywhere else (and then other versions of all of it); but I've kept copies of any of my own forum posts, answers on "Answers", and comments (on my Hubs or other people's) that I've written and that contain enough words (and aren't HP-specific and/or that don't take me more than a couple of minutes to write even if they are HP-specific) ) that I may want to use them somewhere else, or in some way.

I'd rather not see HP close up, but anyone who posts on someone else's site really does need to set things up so that if the site closes or if his account is, for some reason, closed that it wouldn't be a big deal.(beyond any loss of passive income).  A whole lot of stuff I've saved and written is pretty much useless and worthless junk that I'll never use - but one never knows, and it's not like it takes a lot of effort or even space to save back-ups and back-ups to the back-ups, etc. (no matter how worthless or useless they may seem at the time).

In the meantime, I imagine HubPages will still be up and running tomorrow morning when I wake up.....

Lisa - based on what you shared here and with such meaning, I doubt anything you write is junk!! smile

17. profile image0
    John Messinghamposted 9 years ago

Like others I write using Word so have a copy of everything (such as it is) locally and it gets backed up along with my software development work.

18. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

I'd go to work as normal, then I'd start looking for somewhere else to post my writing.

19. tlcs profile image63
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

I would be very disappointed, as like a lot of us we only write on hubpages, the thought of starting again would be very daunting!

20. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 9 years ago

I will be quite disappointed and numb for a couple of days. Then I will lick my wounds and move on.

However, it will turnout to be a great opportunity for me to spend ALL my time on my websites and blogs. I will rewrite my saved hubs and republish them there.

21. worldsoccer profile image59
    worldsoccerposted 9 years ago

Don't just say that. I am seriously afraid about that. I am putting some effort here, if it's gone then that would be a real disappointment for me. I want to be serious with HP. Kinda liking writing here.

22. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

I am backing up all my hubs as we speak with a free tool called Httrack Website Copier. All you have to do is type in your profile's URL. It then copies your entire domain to your hard disk (or removable back up disk), exactly as it appears on HubPages. Saves the time of saving page by page.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12042024_f1024.jpg

You can download it for free at:

http://www.httrack.com/

And no, I am not an affiliate, they don't even have that option as far as I know.

1. profile image0

The link you have given downloads a file that is corrupted.

I have downloaded via Downloads.com and that has installed ok.  Have not tried it out yet.  Will give feedback when I have.

2. colorfulone profile image78

Now, that sounds like the ticket right there.

Thank you for sharing this, Sue.

Excellent - THANK YOU!!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Are you sure that your antivirus and any other defense (firewall, etc.) checked for viruses, etc.?

1. profile image0

My antivirus is working fine.  I always check downloaded files before opening them.  The linked source in the posting came back as "corrupted" so I did not open it and then searched for other sources.

So far running well, although to recall the website I have copied it's a bit complicated and irksome. 
        When I click on the My Websites folder, it expands to reveal numerous files, most of which are gobbledegook to me.  Just one files brings up the website I'm concentrating on.

Internet connection at my current location is VERRYYY slow and a 5mB download can take ages.

Still not a consistent performance, but I'm getting there.

I apologize johnnycomelately, I should have started that off with 'Sue,'. I meant it for her. When I have downloaded recently there often seemed to be trouble with it. Even Google Chrome had a problem and I had to temporarily withdraw it.

23. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Alternatively do what a lot of us did when backing up lenses prior to the Squidoo Transfer

Do a "save as a webpage"

I found that Safari gave me the best result with a complete page with all formatting and all links intact and working.

You use: Edit/Select All; then File/Save as/ and chose the Web Archive format - then save in its own folder with a proper file name. I include a six digit date on the end of the file name so I know what date I saved it.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Paranoid" as this will seem, even with that (and other) ways to copy our Hubs (or whatever else we have out there), I still like to keep copies of all the original text and other "raw material" (unfinished stuff, re-written stuff, anything at all  that's mine, and that was involved along the line "between 0 and Finished Thing".  You never know when you may need to dig up some kind of proof that whatever the thing is in question is something you've created yourself.

2. misterhollywood profile image91

Thanks for this tip!

3. Titia profile image92
      Titiaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did save all my lenses as webpages on my computer, but when I now open them, they look exactly like the messed up hubs after the transfer. Must've done something wrong I guess. Still all text is there and I hardly used any photos that were not mine.

To answer the OP question: If HP would not be there tomorrow, it would be a déja vu all over. The only thing I would be sad about is losing some of the comments.

4. Ruby H Rose profile image60

I started saving everything onto webpages, blog spaces and like makingamark backed up a lot of it using Safari and Cloud Drive.  Loosing Lens freaked me out to the point I took my lap top and desk top in to get them professionally cleaned up.  They set my computers to do regular back ups and I finally got a hard drive.  Now I have to get serious about where to put our writing, after the cost of all that.  Still cheaper than a new computer!

24. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 9 years ago

I'd be utterly heartbroken.
    Nothing can describe the sadness I'd feel.
    sad

Forums are closed down everyday. Im going to set up a hotline... Im worried about you.

25. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I'm relying on plagiarists to have copies of all my stuff. It saves me the time of backing them up.

As for the close.  I would miss the place especially the forums where I have learned a bit over the years.

Sadly, the loss of income would not make much difference.

LOL Mark. I agree about the plagiarists. It is sad, but true.

Haha!!!!

3. colorfulone profile image78

I thought I heard laughter over here. TeeHee!

4. Marie Flint profile image72

Oh, Mark, you're a dear! (I'm still chuckling.)

Our sentiments are similar--I'm the type of person that thinks, "Heck, God gave me this gift freely, and if someone else can benefit from it, 'wonderful!'"

So, I'd probably lose all my hubs and get excited about starting something new. 

Blessings!

26. profile image0
    M L Morganposted 9 years ago

Cry...I love it already smile

27. Ruby H Rose profile image60
    Ruby H Roseposted 9 years ago

First of all I would cry and rant and rave and pull my hair out a bit.  Then yes, remembering to save a lot more of this writing world than I have been.  Yes, thank you, yes.  Now I can catch my breath.

I imagine that pulling your hair out would hurt Ruby.

Thankfully, I didn't.  Just being way more careful now where I write and save my stuff at.  Getting much more serious about blogging spaces.  It's helped me to dump into the trash a lot of my journal junk too though, LOL!

I just laughed so hard I spewed my tea on my computer screen lol!

28. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I'd be depressed for a couple of days and then I would move on to doing something else. Someone wise told me several years ago that anything on the internet changes every 3 years.

That sound fairly accurate!!

29. Cohen Mikey profile image56
    Cohen Mikeyposted 9 years ago

sad

30. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 9 years ago

I would do nothing at all and would not have any feelings whatsoever.
    Given I am now lucky if I make more than one dollar a month here, the demise of Hubpages would mean nothing to me whatsoever.
    Fortunately, my translation business, which also operates online, makes me $3000+ a month, so I'm viewing all my online writing efforts as bad experiments not to be repeated.

31. Abhinav4192 profile image59
    Abhinav4192posted 9 years ago

I would be like whoaa !! I published my first Hub last night and now whole website is gone, must have written something epic.

Here's the answer that got me laughing.  I can't wait to read it and send it around the world!

32. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Hmmmmm.   Hubpages, gone??  Just "Poof!"  No more Hubpages?   I'd be shocked & sad for a while.  However, I would certainly go on writing.  There was life before HP and there will be after as well.  Fortunately, I have emails, addresses and some phone numbers of the hubbers I would DEFINITELY keep in touch with.......maybe even create our own massive group blog! 

That's actually an unpleasant thought,Mr. Hollywood.....Thanks a heap..... smile

Life would go on even though it would be sad to lose HubPages. Somehow, I believe we will have HP for a long long time to come.  Yet, the thought of creating our own massive blog would be awesome!  smile

I love that thought, Paula.

Edit: PS - If any hubber at heart wants to keep in touch just in case, I will start a blog for us, Paula, if and when HP ever goes "Poof !"

Hey, that is a great title for a story. "Poof! The magic..." lol

That is a good idea Phyllis, I was wondering what would happen to us. It would be like H.S. grads all going different ways.

It was Paula' idea and I love it, too, Kevin.

2. fpherj48 profile image59
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

WONDERFUL, Phyllis....to know we can count on you for that!!   I think HP will be around for long long time too.   Peace, Paula

Ah haha - you are fabulous, Paula. I will have to get with you on how to monetize so each blogger would benefit. Oh! and RULES - I think rules would be: No profanity and no attacking other bloggers.  lol

1. fpherj48 profile image59

NO RULES!!!!  Our own private Group Blog for HP Rebels!!  Anarchists!!    We'll be wild and crazy...foot loose and fancy free.....Gabby Van Gibberish, the Queen of Political Incorrectness will be our leader!    We'll all get Tattoos and ride Harleys. 
            Oops....sorry, I got carried away a little....  ...forgot my meds today....I'm bad.  sad

1. profile image0

Once you get it started, you will have to forgive me for being a little  ....lately.  Ooops!

Always half a day behind you guys in the US.

3. Marie Flint profile image72

You can count me in on the blog. I also have connections with a few hubbers + is still a little confusing.

1. Marie Flint profile image72

Edit: I have connections with a few hubbers on Linkedin, Face Book and Google+.

(Stet on the 'You can count me in . .. .)

I wouldn't hold out much hope of an ex-Hubbers' community blog being successful.  Each time a site has closed (e.g. Helium, Today, Squidoo) there have been attempts by ex-members to start up their own operation.  None of them has ever achieved much success.   

The trouble is, I think, that a brand new site doesn't get much traffic, so it doesn't take long for people to get discouraged and leave, leaving only a small group of die-hards.

I think it would only be for Hubbers to keep in touch, not worry about new members joining.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes, that's been tried too.   For instance, there's a forum for ex-Heliumites which is a desert, and two or three writing sites started by ex-Heliumites that are very quiet.

Hi, FP! I hope it never happens!

1. fpherj48 profile image59

Yeah sure Mr H !!   You're like the guy who starts a fight in a bar and then skips out the back door!!   (kidding, kidding)

Ha

33. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 9 years ago

I'd be pissed that all my hubs would be gone! Without warning!
    In all honesty, I'm not on here to make money (though it would be nice). I really like the community on Hubpages, and I think I would lament the loss of that. I like how engaged and interactive everyone is with each other, and I have yet to find another writing platform that provides the same. This is honestly why I stay with Hubpages.

I wish I'd have come up with a cool nom de plume. I could have been Beth Quillfeather... or even Typey McGee... I don't know. Next time I close my account in a huff and reopen it, Im coming to you for name advice.

I like "Typey McGee" - how original.

Yes, it rhymes with Sed-me, ha-ha.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93

I second that whole comment of yours, ThompsonPen.  smile

1. ThompsonPen profile image66
        ThompsonPenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Actually, I kind of lucked out - my last name actually is Thompson-Pen, so it was a little predestined that I should write as well!

34. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

Gosh! I would not think about that will happen without a warning. I have to check if I have backed up all my hubs.

1. Titia profile image92
      Titiaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Think twice, it does happen. It happened to all squids a few months ago.

35. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

It will be SAD but then I have saved my Hubs and will proceed to back them up and save them on Google.docs. I would start my own blog and website.  I would use HubPages as a learning experience and will always remember it fondly(starting to cry) like a departed friend.

36. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 9 years ago

What would I do if Hubpages disappeared?   First of all, be quite sad that it was happening all over again. (I'm an ex-Squid).

Then I'd start putting the content on my blog and website, because I've learned to always have backups.   Currently I have three, my HD, an external HD and in the Cloud.   That should just about cover it.   :-)
    And there's always an online archive somewhere.........

37. endamclarnon profile image73
    endamclarnonposted 9 years ago

An interesting question indeed. If you make the decision to write on ANY free platform, there is always a risk that it can disappear. I think that is the main reason that people go to their own site eventually. At least that way if they pay for a domain name and hosting (about $75 a year) then that risk is gone.

I back my Hubpages up using a Google Chrome extension called "Save Content to Box, Google Drive & Dropbox" and then save it all to Google Drive. It allows you to save text and pictures in either text or PDF format.

I think the reality for most on Hubpage though is that it wouldn't have a huge impact financially so for me I would simply create another website, and drip the content on there.

There was a time I would have thought it was the end of the world, but then I guess you realise, there are just way more important things.

I am also jealous of the people who have hair to pull out, as alas, mine did that all by itself many years ago :-)

I had said originally that if HP closes I would search for my Hubs but I always forget about the backups on my DVD's.

I did not know about that Chrome extension. We learn something new everyday!! Thanks so much smile

38. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 9 years ago

How could HubPages gone? Okay, take Squidoo as an example. Is it gone? The answer can be yes and no! Surely, you do not mean a fold up,eh?. Had this be the case a warning at least is put out for clients. That can not happen to HubPages in a moment.

There was a warning before Squidoo closed, correct?

1. endamclarnon profile image73
        endamclarnonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what one would describe as a warning. There was no indication of any kind that Squidoo was closing or being bought over. I logged in one evening to find a notice advising us the Hubpages was taking over Squidoo.

People could transfer their Hubs or make copies and remove them.

I would call that a notice compared to logging in and getting a blank page.

As far as I'm aware, Helium, Yahoo! Voices, Bukisa, Suite101 and Squidoo all gave warnings before they closed down, and there was an opportunity to remove or save  your work. 

However the method used for the warning varied.  Some sent an email to members, but some just posted on their forums or on the front page of the site - meaning that people who weren't frequent visitors might not see it until too late.

As far as most members were concerned, Today.com closed down without warning.  Apparently they did contact a few of their top-earning members privately - but everyone else just woke up one morning to find the site gone.

At least they sent a notice of some type or other.

I have never heard of Today.com. Is that connected with a talk show or something?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Today.com was a blogging site.   It sold its domain name to the TV program.   It notified only a handful of its very top earners - everybody else just went to log in to their blog and found themselves on a news site!  It was quite bewildering.

I remember today.com - I forgot about them until you mentioned!!

3. Miebakagh57 profile image68
        Miebakagh57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, oh!

39. Nick DeGeorge profile image60
    Nick DeGeorgeposted 9 years ago

Well then maybe my own website would have been finished and I would have made real progress instead of wasting months trying to get my hub scores up only to have hubpages make some change and drop them all back again. I have yet to understand why a hub has a score at 80 and two days later is 65 without any action.

If hubpages was gone I would not be reading all these replies with people chatting off topic and promoting how all their articles are 95 what have you.

A women actually has a virtual tutorial included here on how she writes hubs, was that the question? I thought it was what we would do if hubpages was gone not how to write hubs which would be useless if hubpages is gone.

Nothing is forever you want immortality have your own website and archives,

Hi, Nick!

Thanks for the share. I hope HP never closes for sure but as you said - nothing is forever. Ha never know.

40. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

I would be peeved, and sad, for I have made some friends here.  I'd also be in some level of trouble vis-a-vis backups, as I have not written everything first in MSWord--many of my hubs were written as I went along, directly into the text capsules.  When I started writing recently on Bubblews, I corrected that mistake, and am now making an effort to do the same for my HP articles as well.

I don't even know how to get all my work saved to my computer at this point.  I think you can get a file in some Excel format, but as far as I can tell, it only copies the links to your articles, and not the articles, so it would be of no use if the HP went away. 

As far as making my own website--I don't know how; I'm not a techie.  Nor can I afford to pay for a hosted domain; been there, done that, and it was expensive.  Now that our finances are rocky at best, that would be a no-go.

I guess I'd have to wean myself from the computer and find something to do in the real world.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yo, Dzy! Even I can afford $10/year for a domain name. And Blogger will happily host it for free, AdSense ads and all. And Blogger lets you make pages as well as posts, so you really can make yourself a true website. smile

Hi, DZY,

What I'm aware of are just how many people here are in a similar boat. I appreciate your honesty and for keeping it real.

41. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

But you already have your own websites, MsLizzy - blogs are websites.   There would be no point starting your own website to display your Hubs, because it wouldn't get traffic - a small website absolutely must specialise in one topic.

42. Adventuretravels profile image87
    Adventuretravelsposted 9 years ago

Well something similar has already happened to me. I was a Giant Squid on Squidoo and one morning I woke up to an email saying that it was closing down! What did I do ? I came over to HubPages, so if this closes down - then I think I'll retire early

43. Adventuretravels profile image87
    Adventuretravelsposted 9 years ago

BTW what makes you ask such a question? Is there something I should be aware of?

When Hubpages takes a hit from Google, everyone gets nervous. Paul Edmondson somehow always pulls Hubpages out of the mess. I wouldn't worry too much, but saving your hubs somewhere else isn't a bad idea ever.

I asked because of what I've read from Squido people. Ha never know!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

No, there are no rumours - but think for a moment.

A few years ago there were several big revenue-sharing sites for writers:  HubPages, Squidoo, Suite101, Associated Content, and Helium were the major players.  How many are left??

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Also because Google declared war on content farms in 2011 - and hasn't stopped since

See Matt Cutts regrets http://searchengineland.com/googles-mat … rms-191146

See Pierre Far
        "Based on user (and webmaster!) feedback, we’ve been able to discover a few more signals to help Panda identify low-quality content more precisely. This results in a greater diversity of high-quality small- and medium-sized sites ranking higher, which is nice. - (i.e. one of the reasons why people are switching content to blogs)

See an analysis of sites which were adversely impacted in September 2014 by the latest Panda Update  - which specifically mentions HubPages http://www.brightedge.com/blog/panda-4- … ganically/

see further analysis of the sort of factors which lead sites which have been adversely affected and the sort of changes which need to be made to improve outcomes for the site
        see "Panda 4.1 Deeper Analysis – Positive & Negative Impact"
        http://blog.similarweb.com/panda-4-1-de … ve-impact/

It certainly gives pause for thought

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Both interesting articles - thanks!

I can vouch for the fact that small websites benefitted from the latest Panda.  Both my main blogs, which are not even updated all that frequently, got a big boost in traffic.

Thanks. First time reading these. Interesting and sobering!

Exactly! Not many!!

44. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Misterhollowood, every time I see your pic of that darling dog I have to chuckle. It looks like the dog is asking the question and the way his head is turned looks like he follows up the question with "Hmmmmmmmm?"

Hi Phyllis! Isn't that dog the cutest!?? You just want to reach out and pet him - cute little monster. Plus, he does give the look of asking a question but  more on the order of ... Hey, where's my treat?

He is precious - I just want to hug him !!!

45. profile image0
    Crisantonioposted 9 years ago

If ever it comes to that, could they give me at least a week's warning? I need to back up them files!

But kidding aside, I'd live. smile

1. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Happily, yesterday is not all lost.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)