How many languages can you speak?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Smart is Good profile image60
    Smart is Goodposted 12 years ago

Name the languages you can speak including your mother language and how good do you speak the others.
    My mother Language is Spanish, I speak advanced English and intermediate French. I'd love to keep learning german because I only know a few words and phrases but would love to know more.

1. ManinaBlueSuit profile image62
      ManinaBlueSuitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My mother language is American English. I can understand basic French (elementary school kid level) and know bits of Swedish, Finnish, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, British English and Aussie English. I know "hello" in a lot more languages, including German and Mandarin Chinese.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ni hao ma?  That's my understanding of "How are you?" in Mandarin-I spent 9 months in Beijing back in '85 when the country was in HUGE turmoil politically, Mao statues were being bulldozed everywhere, then they were rebuilt!  Crazy stuff, it was!!
        Anyway, I like this thread...I speak very little Mandarin, I don't recall much, but still have my books.  I also speak English tongue and a un peu de Francais, no mucho Spanish, and ich may leibe German, but can't speak it worth a hoot!

1. sadieanne profile image60
          sadieanneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm currently living in China and after failing miserably at every other language I've tried I can speak, read and write Mandarin to an alright level!

So I guess I can just speak two languages, English and semi-good Mandarin!

2. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that you say "mother language" - we learned that the correct expression is "mother toungue" (although it sounds odd). Books written by world famous linguists confirm what we've learned smile I speak five languages: fluent Croatian (South European, Slavic language) English, Italian, German and intermediate Spanish. Hoping to reach the next level with Spanish.

3. HubAnthony212 profile image62
      HubAnthony212posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My mother language is English. I speak advanced Spanish, intermediate Korean, and a little Tagalog and Japanese.

4. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

five languages.Includes my mother tongue. It is not great?. smile

5. catsimmons profile image82
      catsimmonsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Two: English and body language :-D

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice one catsimmons smile

6. pmiles profile image60
      pmilesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

English, a lot of Spanish, some Japanese, and about five words of Vietnamese.

7. ronhi profile image66
      ronhiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, my mum is a Luhya and my dad a Kalenjin (Kenyan Tribes). I speak my mums language (Luhya very fluently). I  am also fluent in Swahili and English. I have always wanted to learn Spanish and French but somehow, i keep procrastinating

8. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I learned English and Spanish simultaneously as a child, so I'm really not sure which one I learned first. My parents spoke both around us kids. I speak English mostly now, so I'm more comfortable with English. I also know ASL fluently and am currently learning French. smile

9. Abhaque Supanjang profile image73
      Abhaque Supanjangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My mother tongue is Minangkabau and my national Language is Indonesian, I can speak them both very well. Since Malaysian is not far different from Indonesian, I also can speak and understand Malaysian well. English, is the next one. Beside them, I also know Arabic, because Muslims' holy book is written in Arabic. I also once learnt Japanese for one year at my college before. And I know many expression in Javanese and Sundanese.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5809774_f248.jpg

10. Essi Paasikivi profile image61
      Essi Paasikiviposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I speak:
      NATIVE:
      Finnish
      PROFICIENT:
      English
      BEGINNERS LEVEL:
      Swedish
      Japanese
      Finnish sign language
      I KNOW FEW WORDS AND/ OR PHRASES:
      German
      French
      Estonian

2. maxravi profile image44
    maxraviposted 12 years ago

Well my mother tongue is Hindi.I know english and tamil a regional lang in India.presently I am learning French and spanish smile

3. OutWest profile image56
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

I speak a bit of american sign language...but is that considered speaking?

1. ManinaBlueSuit profile image62
      ManinaBlueSuitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ASL is a language so "speaking" works. You can spea" with your hands. It doesn't need to be verbal.

4. profile image52
    Hard Cheeseposted 12 years ago

My mother toungue is Danish, but I speak better english and advanced Spainsh. Was fluent in Italian when I was a child and quite good at German but struggeling in French. I've 'lost' most of my Italian, German and French through lack of use and now since I have become profoundly deaf I am considering learning sign language.

5. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The thing about languages, is that you need to use them constantly in order to remember them.  In my time, I have spoken rudimentary French, Spanish, German and classical Latin.  However, as it has been years since I used them, I only remember a few words in each language.

1. classicalgeek profile image82
      classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How right you are! I forgot my mother tongue completely, never got completely fluent in another language, and had to relearn my mother tongue as an adult!

6. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I speak Dutch, English, German, French, Swedish, Sarcastic, Drunk, Double Dutch and not to mention that I can speak Gobbledegook too.

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I can speak sarcastic pretty well, don't know about French...

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am glad I have found a fellow speakist of my sarcastic language, it is my mother tongue - I came from the lower cheaky sod region in smugville it was lovely living there too x smile lol lol lol

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I emerged from ruins of  the country that for 70 years shamelessly boasted to be a superpower but could not provide people with basic necessities like freedom and ... running water. I hate politeness and mannerism when there is emptiness behind it. I hate being politically correct. I hated myself for many years, now I enjoy being me.  Like me or hate me, just do not expect me being nice all the time, because life is not nice.

8. profile image0
    klevifushaposted 12 years ago

I speak Albanian (which is my native language, or "mother tongue" as you referred to it) and English fluently. I would also say I have advanced knowledge in Italian and some basic understanding, reading and writing skills in Spanish. However, due to lack of practice, I cannot speak Spanish without mumbling or throwing in an "eh" after every other word.

1. Smart is Good profile image60
      Smart is Goodposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's funny, neither can native spanish speakers. We always put an eh, este, um, before saying things. SO you're good

1. profile image0
        klevifushaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL thanks for that uplifting comment.

9. kwarcim profile image59
    kwarcimposted 12 years ago

My native language is English, but I can also speak advanced Spanish.  Would like to learn more QueQchi, a language where I am residing at, but I seem to forget all the new vocab... basically, as soon as I hear it. Perhaps I should take some classes.

10. giselenmendez profile image60
    giselenmendezposted 12 years ago

My mother language is Spanish and I speak advanced English. Also I speak intermediate Italian and Portuguese. In a couple of months I will start taking German lessons smile

11. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

I speak US English and intermediate/advanced Brazilian Portugues. I would love to learn French.

12. Boisclair21 profile image60
    Boisclair21posted 12 years ago

My native language is French from Quebec. Since Canada is a blingual country, I had to learn English.  To do so, I studied in an English University in Illinois, USA. There, I learned Spanish (Intermediate) and a base in German.

13. sanathara profile image60
    sanatharaposted 12 years ago

I can speak Gujarati, Hindi and English.

14. Casey Strouse profile image59
    Casey Strouseposted 12 years ago

I speak English and Esperanto fluently and have a basic knowledge of German.

1. rhysclay profile image59
      rhysclayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really, where did you learn Esperanto?

2. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Saluton Casey,

Ankaux mi parolas Esperanton, kaj ecx aperigis poemaron en la prahistorio! 

[Hello Casey,

I also speak Esperanto and even published a poetry collection in the distant past.]

Rhysclay, there are a number of courses on the Internet. Otherwise, I'm sure your national Esperanto association can tell you of many more.

With respect to other languages, I grew up in a Polish family in London, but would say English is my native language because I am totally fluent in it (despite not speaking it till I was 5), while any attempt to speak Polish now would produce pigeon-Polish at best.

I translate medical documents out of Polish, Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian, French, German and Spanish. I'm good at reading/understanding/translation, but hopeless at speaking and have no opportunities to do so. However, if I went to live in a relevant country, I'd pick up speaking fairly soon, as I did when I lived in Croatia for 5 years.

Currently, I'm learning Welsh. I've just started my fourth year, at one lesson a week in school term times. I can honestly say it is the most difficult language I have ever tried to learn, but I'm having fun. It is also starting to open the whole world of Welsh-language culture to me, which is providing me with some extremely rewarding experiences.

Unfortunately, in South Wales, where I live, Welsh is not spoken in the community at large, although there are a number of people even here whose first language is Welsh. However, I don't get the opportunity to use Welsh on a daily basis.

15. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

My mother tongue was American English but I forgot it. Then I learned (not with complete fluency, and in no particular order) French, German, Italian, Czech, classical Latin, and I can still get by in most of those and am fluent in French. Then I returned to the United States and relearned my mother tongue from scratch. So I guess I'm one of the few people without a native language!

1. Sparrowlet profile image95
      Sparrowletposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My native language is American English. I speak Spanish very well, German well, French passably and Russian a little. (been too long since I've used the Russian, I forget a lot of it) I would like to learn Italian and maybe something exotic like Hawaiian! Language ROCK!

1. Sparrowlet profile image95
        Sparrowletposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I meant was..... Languages ROCK!! smile

16. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 12 years ago

I speak Tagalog (the basis for our national language, Filipino) and English. I also know Cebuano or Bisaya, a major language here in my country, and some words in our other native languages. Also know some (and I put emphasis on the word some) Spanish, French and Japanese smile.

17. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

three

english?
    swearing lol
    signing smile

18. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 12 years ago

I speak 5 languages fluently: French, Dutch, German, English and Spanish. Life's circumstances forced me into this situation:

I was Born in Budapest and spoke Hungarian until the age of four when we moved to France. The French kids called us "the dirty foreigners at school. So my brother forbade us to speak Hungarian. Within 3 months we forgot our mother tongue and became "French".

When I was 11 my family moved to Holland. Here the people loved us as the "interesting French kids". Six months on we spoke fluent Dutch.

At 19 I went to work for a Ballet company in Berlin for 5 years and had to learn German.

At age 25 I moved to London England for many years.

Now I've lived in Spain of over 10 years.

Had I not forgotten Hungarian I would speak 6 languages. The funny thing is that I can still speak fake Hungarian. I have retained the intonation and the accent but do not possess the vocabulary.

19. stephaniedas profile image71
    stephaniedasposted 12 years ago

I speak 2 languages fluently. English is my native language, and I learned Spanish when I was a teenager (i was an exchange student). I also stayed with Italian friends for a few months when I was a teenager and became conversational in Italian, but I wouldn't say fluent. I've studied French, Portuguese, Arabic, and Quichua, but I would not by any means say I speak any of those. Of course, I'd be more than happy to learn all of them.

20. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I studied Spanish to intermediate level and really enjoyed it, however,this was through the Open University and I didn't have anyone to practice with which is a shame. I wouldn't say that I can speak Spanish, just have a basic understanding.

21. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

I used to work with a woman (in the bank!) who called herself bilingual. She said she spoke the English language and bad language. Working with her for years, I found she was considerably more fluent in the latter... smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

22. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

I speak some French and Japanese native tongue being English but mainly speak

Australian  (pronouced  Straaalian)

1. stephaniedas profile image71
      stephaniedasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had some Australian friends who taught me some of this language! Some of them were bogans!

23. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

English, Spanish and a pinch of Gaelic. I am working on learning Japanese does anyone care to help me?

24. Bharatthapa profile image59
    Bharatthapaposted 12 years ago

Fluently:-English,Hindi,Nepalese & Urdu.
    For survival:-Punjabi, Bhojpuri,haryanvi and spanish(and learning it too).

smile

25. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 12 years ago

I was born in America, but my primary language is Spanish. My mom thought it would be best for us to learn Spanish first because English was going to be for the long haul.  She was very insightful.

26. Cardia profile image75
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

English is my native tongue, and I also speak intermediate French. I speak basic Spanish as well, but I really hope to improve it. I also speak some Barbadian slang (that's where I live!)

I really want to learn another language, like maybe German or Japanese smile

27. arekwhite profile image59
    arekwhiteposted 12 years ago

only english i know but i can speak German language but not properly..

28. profile image51
    echieselearningposted 11 years ago

Well I am intrested in Chinese .All of my families are like it.
    If I have problem with Chinese , I would like to click echineselearning.

There are many resources from China,and I can learn chinese culture at

the same time.
    You may have a try.
    http://www.echineselearning.com

29. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

Fluent in English, capable of speaking French when I need to, and I'm told I speak great "Traveler's Español," Spanglish

30. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

My mother-tongue is English, and I used to be fluent in Spanish. Unfortunately, lack of use had made my Spanish skills a bit rusty, though it comes back when I need it (my little boy's hospital roommate spoke only Spanish and I was able to communicate with her, though my grammar and vocabulary had diminished over time).

31. soutienscolairefr profile image61
    soutienscolairefrposted 11 years ago

I think that a child has a facility to learn languages and could d this more easily than an adult.
    I know a gril that speak siw languages without any difficulties ...
    But, she was living in three of the siw ountries which help ...
    The best way to learn is to practise in the country !!
    Good luck wink !

32. Fabiana03 profile image79
    Fabiana03posted 11 years ago

Portuguese was is my first language, but since I've lived here since I was 13 years old, English is easier for me. However, I won't dare talk in English with my parents.I also understand Spanish very well.

33. CHRIS57 profile image61
    CHRIS57posted 11 years ago

My collection of languages holds English, German, Low German, Russian and French. For my English and German i certainly pass as native speaker (Born in Germany, raised in the US). Russian natives consider me to be from some former soviet baltic countries (Estonia or Latvia), fairly fluent in Russian but with noticable accent. My French always gives native speakers a smile, but i get along quite well, they tell me i speak French with a strong anglosaxon accent. My low German background (my grandma only spoke low German with me) makes it fairly easy to understand the basics of Dutch and Flamish.
    Of course my school latin helps a little in following most Roman languages (Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian), speaking though is very difficult, especially Portuguese.

34. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

Born in Budapest, left for Paris aged 3, moved to Amsterdam aged 11, to Berlin at 19, and to London at 25 now live in Spain. Unfortunately I forgot the Hungarian. Otherwise...

Je parle Francais
    Ik spreek Nederlands
    Ich spreche Deutsh
    I speak English
    Hablo Español

That makes five languages fluently. Not boasting, life just forced me to learn all those languages. I always enjoy surprising foreigners by coming at them in their own language. It's also very useful for foreign movies on YouTube without subtitles.

35. profile image56
    Kareem888posted 3 years ago

Hello, my mother tongue is English, I’m currently in China where I am learning Mandarin, learnt for 2 semesters in a university here, great experience. Now learning Mandarin online with Instant Mandarin (https://www.instantmandarin.com). Love learning Mandarin smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)