Can't sleep...what do YOU do???

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Montana Farm Girl profile image59
    Montana Farm Girlposted 14 years ago

I am one of the MANY people afflicted by insomnia~~ My brain just won't shut down when it's "supposed" to... Perhaps I am a vampire and just don't realize it yet :-)!!! 

If you have the same problem, have you found a solution or anything that helps on those sleepless nights??

1. quicksand profile image80
      quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell you what, you try this method. Sit at your desk with a few sheets of blank paper and colored crayons. Start drawing sheep! Each animal with a different color. Follow the rainbow color sequence. Start with red and end with violet. Then repeat process. When you ... YAWN! reach the 99th figure ... YAWN! ... you'll be .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
      zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....

Montana Farm Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HOw very clever....and sweet....and cute at the same time!!!! Now, where are my crayons????? lol :-)

2. creativeMind profile image63
      creativeMindposted 14 years agoin reply to this

try silva method

3. profile image49
      geimveraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to have problems both falling to sleep and getting a good night sleep, suffering from mild Sleep Apnea, a friend of mine told me about the LiveWave Silent Night patches, it worked wonders for me, I like it because nothing goes into my body and I sleep through the night without any problems.
      http://the-problemsolvers.com/668696/pr … ent-nights

4. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't eat too late.  Don't drink caffeinated beverages past 3pm.  I battled insomnia for years.  I finally went to a shrink and found out that I have adult ADD.  I take meds, during the day, to help me focus.  I sleep fine, now.  I don't have to take meds to help me sleep, either.

5. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try melatonin, you should start feeling drowsy about 30 minutes after taking it.  It's a supplement and something your body produces naturally, so you should be OK taking it.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

hubpages haha

3. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Thats that I was going to say...... One has asked me on here if I was a vampire....

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You could move to Australia... it is 3pm Monday here!

1. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me. I'll start swimming!

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha lol Are you drinkin tooooo????????

I'm heading that way too.... perhaps we can swim together :-), guess I should leave the bags at home eh?

2. Montana Farm Girl profile image59

Packing my bags right now :-)

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

When it happens to me I get out of bed and go onto the couch. I turn on the TV and try to find something that will be on for a couple of hours. In other words won't turn into "Paid Programming" in 1/2 hour.
    When I can find a marathon of something like "48 Hours" or "Law & Order" that's perfect.

Goes without saying I will have my laptop on my lap. Usually I am too bleary-eyed to read hubs. I play Scrabble on the computer, tho.

Sitting on the couch this very moment with my laptop ... lol.... vegging on hgtv...house hunters....too funny!!

6. Montana Farm Girl profile image59

You are all awesome!!!! Great suggestions...lol...and thanks for making me laugh.... that's good for the heart right...so much for sleeping...perhaps it far too over-rated!!!????

7. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

I reread my hubs, or tony0724's cool

Are you saying they put you to sleep??? lol :-)

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep, they have yet to fail me cool hmmm no wonder then I get dreamy when I'm writing one! cool

Perhaps a nice dose will help me along too... aren't "natural remedies" the best!!!!!?

2. mayhmong profile image75
      mayhmongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a little cruel!...not a bad idea..

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

lol You're just like me. I wrote a hub on this a few weeks ago.

Basically, use your time to do something fun or productive (or both). Learn a new language, cuddle up in bed and watch tv episodes and movies on your laptop from hulu.com, pick up a new craft hobby and sell your creations on etsy.com, write hubs, etc.

Good luck. It's 1am here and I still have at least 3-4 hours of energy left in me tonight.

lol..... hey, I'm going to check out hula.com right now!!! :-)

9. earnestshub profile image80

How's the temperature in Montana at this time?

At this very moment it is:  62... our high today 94 and low this morning 44... we're finally getting summer...it has been eluding us until a week or so ago.  The thing I love since moving here 3 years ago, we get all seasons and they don't last too long!!!!  When it reaches 100 degrees here, it only lasts a few days then temps usually fall back down into the 80s..... Not like California, where I grew up and it would stay in the 100s for weeks at a time!!!!

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like the best of it. Similar here in Melbourne, four distinct seasons, currently early winter and cold.

So true...love having all four seasons indeed...love fall and winter the best!!! Do you get snow where you're at?

No snow here, but the ski slopes are under two hours from the city and Melbourne is on a Bay.. lovely!

10. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

My wife has (among many other things) a severe insomnia problem.  For the  past few years, the prescription drug Trazodone has helped her immeasurably.  But we've been unable to find an Arizona doctor who will even treat her now, so she's gone forcibly cold turkey on everything...and the last of her Traz will soon be gone.  Owch.

And that's her problem.  Mind won't shut down.

In my case, I've not had any really big problems that way but have developed a few "tricks" to help on the occasional "mind keeps goin'" night.  The BEST is to work all night and go to bed about daylight.  Biorhythms or something (don't seem to be a vampire, but there's a reason for my "Ghost" pseudonym), but I really do best as a day sleeper.  However, that's not practical where we are right now.

I'm not sure it started out as a deliberate thing, but one way or another I've learned the following:
    1.  Sleep on my back if I want to snore to wake the dead.
    2.  Sleep on my side if Green Eyes the black kitty cat (no, no, a REAL kitty cat) wants to snuggle up for while--or she likes to plop down on my chest if I'm on my back, doesn't mind the snoring.
    3. GO TO SLEEP ON MY BELLY if nothing else is working.

My suspicion is that my cotton-pickin' little pea brain got "eddicated" somehow to know that "HE'S IN POSITION, GUYS, SHUT DOWN THE MACHINERY".  Either that, or jamming my nose in the pillow just cuts off the oxygen and I pass out.

Whatever, it works.

11. Princessa profile image80
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I don't usually have that problem, I can sleep anywhere and at any time.  But when it happens to me I pick up the phone and call friends and family at the other side of the world.  I don't talk to them very often because of time arrangements (usually is my night time when they are awake and viceversa) so the times when I am awake until very late is just perfect to get in touch with them.

What a nice way of taking a "negative" and turning it into a "positive"..... I don't call very often, but sending emails to friends and loved ones is great when I can't sleep ...good way to get caught up, cleaning out my old emails too!!! :-)

12. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

I cannot fall asleep without taking any prescription drugs. That's the ONLY thing that will knock me out!

I used them before, but always felt like my head was filled with cotton the next day until mid afternoon!! I have now begun trying some supplements:  valerian and melatonin.... we shall see~~

1. mayhmong profile image75
        mayhmongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh please tell me how if it does any better?!

13. Montana Farm Girl profile image59

OMG I can't believe I watching the program: "Dating in the Dark!!!"  I MUST BE SICK....lol

14. Alice Clearwater profile image61
    Alice Clearwaterposted 14 years ago

I don't have this problem often, but when I do I try making lists of all the things floating around in my brain.  Sometimes I get up and read.  Sometimes, I stretch and do some deep breathing exercises to help myself get to sleep.  I apply some Bath and Body Works aromatherapy sleep lotion and try relaxing again.  I often think I should just go for a walk.  Next time maybe I will.

15. profile image59
    untiedshoelaceposted 14 years ago

My alarm clock plays soothing sounds like a rain forest with bird chirping. It's the only thing that gets me to sleep. I enjoy reading and writing to get me tired though. =]

1. Alice Clearwater profile image61
      Alice Clearwaterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I, too, love the rain sounds and ocean sounds . . . very helpful for sleeping, especially when it's too cold for a fan.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, haven't though about using soothing sounds in quite some time... i used to live on the oregon coast and the sound of the waves were heavenly!!! i will have to give that a try again :-)

16. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I do what you are not supposed to do........... drink coffee.... if you are awake anyway, may as well,I should have been born in Spain..... I love to get up early and have a siesta in the afternoon..... wish we had some sun like spain... It is pouring down with rain

I think the sound of rain might help me tonight.... there's something soothing about rain~~ send some our way ok...it was 100 again here today!!! :-)

17. Kya profile image60
    Kyaposted 14 years ago

I have the same problem, what helps is
    - no alcohol: makes you fall asleep, but not sleep through
    - no coffee after mornings, if you are sensitive to coffee
    - no sleeping pills/drugs not even the soft ones, like valeriana: they don't do the job of making you sleepy immediately
    - no heavy meals in the evening
    - rather no TV, reading is better

You'll need to experiment around a bit, what works best for you, every body reacts differently to e.g. coffee and teas. What works for me doesn't necessarily have the same effects on you.

If it doesn't get better, this might be due to your lifestyle (exercising, nutrition, space to relax, too much pressure in your work etc.) or it might be due to unresolved issues you cannot let go. Do address those.

Wow, thanks for the great response!!! You've given me much to consider...

18. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

you asked: Can't sleep...what do YOU do???

My answer; I join the rest of the night owls on hubpages so we can have ONE BIG FREAKING NIGHT OWL PARTY! WHOOOOO!

NOW WE'RE TALKING GIRL!!!!  :-)

Australians and New Zealanders will be able to stay with you!

Ok, I have 2 acres, the party's at my place.... bring your sleepin' bags and we'll have fun under the stars in Big Sky Country!!!! :-)

Love that Montana countryside!

I'm certain you would love it here.... tucked in a beautiful valley surrounded by the Rocky Mountains~~ truly a bit of heaven!!! :-)

I have traveled from Vancouver to Calgary. The rockies are awesome!

Canada is truly breathtaking...lucky you for making that trip!! I would love to do that someday... I love BC!!! Have you been to Victoria??? Shame on me for not getting there yet...I have been so close and never been... I do so want to go before I....well, I do and will go :-)

Yes I did make it to Victoria... had to really, I come from the State of Victoria in Australia where I remain. apart from travel.

19. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I just woke at 5am and jumped on here. lol

20. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I take Valerian. It always works for me.

I just started that and seems to be helping... only thing, I'm waking up with headaches~~ looked at side effects, and it is one of them... dang!!! Why is nothing foolproof??????  HOw many mg do you take???

21. Anath profile image61
    Anathposted 14 years ago

Make love, it leaves me so tired out that I sleep like an angel afterwards smile

22. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

"SYEASTOSCS" always works for me. It should, on anybody at all. It certainly is the safest and has zero side effects.

what the heck???? explain~~~ :-)

23. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

drink or write...

24. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I have been using "Deep Sleep with Medical Self-Hypnosis" a CD by Steven Gurgevich. It helps me shut off my mind and go to sleep pretty quickl most nights. If I wake up in the night and can't go back to sleep I listen to it again.

It also seems to be helping be stay calmer during the day.

25. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I wonder if it's all about how someone views not feeling like sleeping.  If I don't feel like sleeping I just call it "not tired" and do whatever I'd be doing if I were up at any other time.  For the most part, I just stay up until I feel like I'm going to pass out from exhaustion, and then stay up another couple of hours.   smile  If I have to be somewhere early in the morning I'll just stay up, which always assures that I'd be ready to sleep at a "decent time" the next night.  I don't need a lot of sleep, so if I tried to sleep at x time every night I'd have "insomnia" every night.

26. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Cruz around HubPages for a while, have a cup of hot steamy milk, read a little, watch the rain fall on the windshield of my car,  meditate, write some more.....pretend I'm alseep.... then just give up and go back to hubpages.... lol

27. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

We have a ton of pillows on our bed, so I prop up on about five of them, get all comfy, and then read a good book until it falls out of my hands--then I know it's time to turn the light out, lol...

Or...I turn the TV on and watch HGTV House Hunters, too, haha!!  Hey--it's on for hours, so when I suddenly realize I'm watching one episode, then all of a sudden--it's a different one, I know I'm dozing off, and it's time to shut the TV off.

Every now and then, I'll take a Tylenol PM or two...but not very often--I just don't fight it--I stay up until 2 or 3, and wake up about 7:30 every morning. Hubby Tom does the same thing--so we both take a nap in the middle of the day to make up for our lack of nighttime sleep, lol...

28. Montana Farm Girl profile image59

You guys are toooooooooooooooooo awesome!!!!! Thanks for all the help and advice...you have given me much to ponder!!! No wonder I love it here on HubPages!!!!!  hugs and more hugs a crazy little montana farm girl ....

29. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I incidentally have a hub on sleeping requirements and tips for a good sleep.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Sleeping-Requir … rders-tips

30. earnestshub profile image80

You're a long way from crazy girl! I can feel the mountain air when I read your hubs. You are very talented and your lifestyle has some gems. Great place, great animal friends, nature all around... too good!

31. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

I like to drink warm tea with milk, works everytime.

32. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

Well, that would make you an early bird! ;-) Morning, noon, or night...we all love our hubpages as a good past time.

33. oscillationatend profile image61
    oscillationatendposted 14 years ago

My best advice is to find something relaxing, maybe have a couple stiff drinks.

There's always benadryl or some analog. Especially with a couple stiff drinks, you'll be into dreamland in no time.

Also...turkey.

34. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Wild sex works for me every time! smile

1. oscillationatend profile image61
      oscillationatendposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, you seen to live up to your user name. wink

2. world of the wise profile image67
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean? is that part of sleeping

35. stranded07 profile image62
    stranded07posted 14 years ago

Call or sms my bf who's on the other side of the world and give him a hint how i want the time to come when the 2 of us would sleep together! Hehehe....;-)

36. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

If you cant sleep, you have to give urself time to dream

37. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

1.) wine (2 to 3 glasses in 10 minutes of course)

2.) warm milk

3.) Republican babble radio on sleep for 59 minutes, although 7 minutes should suffice.

38. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I agree with the two aforementioned, sex (more the merrier), wine, and that 24/7 political channell that talks about Congressional activities...

39. jiberish profile image78
    jiberishposted 14 years ago
  40. Insurance Guy profile image62
    Insurance Guyposted 14 years ago

Well this thing happens to me every night and there is one thing that i can say, sleeping is a thing that you cant go for, just leave it and forget about it and it will come to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)