What is the benefit of Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (111 posts)
  1. JennyDelToro profile image61
    JennyDelToroposted 9 years ago

Hello,

I just started here at HP recently, and so far I'm less than impressed with it overall. I have two other blogs, (one url I own, the other is a wordpress blog) and I wanted to use HP for content that doesn't really fit in at my other blogs. I'm about to delete my HP account and just start another WP blog though.

For starters, I don't like the whole "bootcamp" process. The reason I blog is because I want to be able to instantly publish my work, not wait around and hope for some random person to deem it worthy by using some arbitrary system. If that were desirable to me, I'd go blog for a content mill.

And my hubscore is 27? Why do I have to have a number score assigned to me? I know that it's low because I'm brand new, but it's still kind of insulting. I don't think adding a competitive number component to someone's profile is an appropriate way to inspire quality writing.

The rules, so many rules! What if I don't want to add a video or a dumb poll to my blog? I shouldn't have to add bells and whistles if I don't want to. The way I see it, if I'm creating content and driving traffic to your site -- FOR FREE, you should be happy to have it. I have hubs sitting unpublished because I feel that all the pictures and knick knacks HP requires are not appropriate for the content.

Too much focus on revenue... and I don't know why. If you want to blog for money, it's better to have your own site where you place your own adds and affiliate links. That way, if you want your entire article's purpose to be selling a product, you're able to do that. HP won't let you use your own affiliate links. I started making money off of my other blogs right away, I've made 8 cents here so far. Not sure why so many are here trying to make money.

I understand the social aspect is a benefit for many, but there are lots of blogger forums out there, where you can get support and also drive traffic to your blog where you call all the shots.

I guess my main issue is all the micromanaging. I feel like hubpages is the pickiest client I've ever worked for.

So, why is hubpages better than the others?

1. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

https://i.imgflip.com/k0a11.jpg

JennyDelToroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

hehehe smile

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
        csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Like eating turnips!  big_smile

2. billybuc profile image86
      billybucposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I love the community of writers here, but I think HP as an income site is a joke.  I can't find anything you said that I can argue against.

3. Health Reports profile image83
      Health Reportsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The polls and videos and such are not required.  They are offered as a suggestion, as hubs with those attributes get the most views.  You can add you own affiliate links. Just put in a photo of what you are trying to sell and use your affiliate link as the source link and make the source  BUY THIS CRAP HERE NOW CLICK ME. Just don't try to put more than 2 to the same website.

I don't know what you mean by "boot camp" process.  You hit publish, and in a few hours it goes through QAP, and then it gets published, unless it looks like spam.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you certain you can place your own affiliate links on HP?  I have never heard of anybody doing that, and I do not think you actually can.  I'd like to hear from others about this one.

4. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We have a hub on HubPages that is going viral with massive views.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129848

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So one hub out of the thousands on this site goes viral, and this is big news? Yippee skip. Big deal, unless it's one of my hubs (and it isn't)....

1. colorfulone profile image77

I love your commentary. lol

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Um, Revenue.  My CPM has ranged from 3-9 dollars which is double or more what my own site makes. Content earns far less than freelancing or my novels, and far less than it did five years ago, but it is also far easier to write and so a good use of  my semi-downtime in front of the TV.

Beyond that, it's a content site--probably the best paying one and certainly in the top 5.  It is run more or less the same way any top content site is run because these things are required for a massive multi-poster site to keep Adsense and Google on side.

It is easy to use HP, but I guess my main problem is their strict rules for content and style. Plus there are so many topics you aren't allowed to write about, and words (like non-euphemisms for certain body parts, because we're in junior high here) you can't use lest they remove the adds from your post. They say it's because of the advertisers, but  I write whatever I want at my other blogs and I have never gotten in trouble with my Adsense account.

I guess I'm just one of the people that doesn't "click" with HP smile

1. SpaceShanty profile image94
          SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I agree the rules are sometimes annoying but HP are trying to protect you from losing your Adsense account, if you don't care about earning from Hubs just turn off the Ads, if you want to make money avoid those subjects.

Just because you haven't gotten in to trouble with Adsense yet on your other blogs does not mean that you are not in violation of any of their rules.  It is probably a matter of when, not if Adsense finds a problem and closes your account and keeps your earnings.  And remember, a ban is for life.

Strong warning, but so true!

It was not intended to come across as a strong warning, just helpful advice.

Just Google  "adsense account banned for no reason" and you will see thousands of results.  I suspect people were just ignorant of the rules or didn't read them, until it was too late.

Or check out this story  http://uk.businessinsider.com/19-year-o … ban-2014-8

I know what Adsense's content policy is, and I've never come anywhere close to violating it on HP, or my other blogs. I've had adsense up for years on blogs that use the *v* and *p* words willy nilly, no problems. I tried to post an article that included the v-word here and HP immediately yanked it -- FYI -- Anything that so much as mentions the losing of one's virginity is never allowed to be monetized here.

So, yeah. I'm not allowed to use scientific terminology for reproductive organs, yet juvenile slang for the same bits is acceptable, and sex is so shameful that you can't even talk about having it for the first time. buh bye Hubpages. BUH-BYE

I had a look at your blog, is it supposed to be satirical or are you being serious?

"I ban everyone that says even the most slightly scientific thing from my public Facebook page. This is a no-brainer. Why should my public Facebook page be available for public discussion?  I should be able to state whatever I want and not have my credibility damaged by dissenters. I don’t want anyone to think I’m wrong about anything, and all negative Facebook comments do is point it out when I’m wrong. I don’t like being wrong, so I choose to never appear to be wrong. Deal with it."

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
                    SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is satire. I found her blog hilarious. My husband and I were laughing our you-know-whats off as we read it, amazed at how on-the-money Jenny's blog is. We have a relative who writes almost the exact same blog, but our relative is completely serious about hers.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages does not give a fig about naughty body parts, but Adsense does. Those are Adsense rules that go unwritten until they ban your blog--as they did to my blog when I use the word cock (not referring to a rooster).

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

If you already are so unhappy, and you are doing so very well on your other sites, why are you here and why are you bothering to ask people about HP?

FYI, there are numerous highly talented writers on this site who have done very well indeed financially and who also have published books, free lanced, etc. outside of this site.

They know, as I do, that this site has its flaws, but one thing I can tell you from personal experience is that  what you learn here is priceless, even if you never make a dime, and the writers here are absolutely fantastic people for the most part.

The rules exist to make sure this site stays afloat.  Many others have fallen recently, but HP is still here, and it's because they push for excellence.

It seems to me that you probably are quite good at what you do, but for some reason feel that you are too good to be writing here because you do not want to be bothered doing what is necessary to make this business succeed.

What a shame.  If you leave, you will really be missing out on something that, while occasionally irritating, is really quite something!

BTW  I checked out one of your hubs and your photos all lacked accreditation.  If they come from sites that require it, as some do, you are using those illegally.

I also noticed that you are writing on highly saturated topics.  Not good to do if you want to get views.

I don't think I'm too good for HP or any other site, I'm sorry if I came across that way. I started up my HP b/c I wanted to develop better writing. My beef is that HP keeps telling me that my writing is not good enough because I'm not including enough nonsense like polls and full-width pics. They don't seem to care if I post pictures without proper accreditation though -- I'm guilty of it, I know :-/

I really don't mean to come across as snooty, I honestly think that HP is the snooty party. I just want to write about stuff because I like writing about stuff. 

The articles I've written on highly saturated topics are the only ones that HP will publish, and they get decent traffic. But I didn't come here for traffic, I came to write, and it's so frustrating to be denied publication on a blog platform because your content doesn't pass an seo algorithm.

The point you are missing here is that what you call "snooty" is simply a tool to make certain that people who come here learn the correct way to write online so that they can succeed.

Nobody likes to be told what to do, but I can tell you from personal experience that what I have learned here, even though I have a Master's Degree in Language and Teaching and was a published author for years before I showed up, has been and continues to be a wonderful learning experience.

My work today and what it looked like when I came does not even look like it came from the same person!   

You definitely are a good writer, but nobody is perfect and all of us can stand improvement, and just think, the help you get is free!  If you had to pay to learn this stuff, it would cost a fortune!

You already are here.  You have basic talent.  What you lack is patience.  It costs you nothing but time and some effort to stay on, and only you can benefit.

It it's all about money, you should leave, but if you really want to learn how to write, you're in the right spot.  Every writer here has had to jump through the hoops, and it benefits all of us.

Whatever you decide, please keep what I have said here in mind.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You didn't come across as snooty, in my opinion. You were honestly asking questions. Nowhere did I see you state that you are superior or too good for HP. The only time you used to word "snooty" was when you said you didn't want to come across that way. I'm sorry some people are not reading your questions carefully enough, causing them to take them the wrong way.

HP is not so much rejecting your writing as they are asking for more. If you write an in-depth article that fully covers a topic, you won't need polls and that other junk, especially if you have photos. HP wants you to create articles, and preferably rather lengthy ones.

The rules regarding product sales had a makeover recently, again to help keep the site in Google's good graces. There is more information here: http://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements

You are accustomed to writing on blogging sites, and HubPages is not a blogging site -- so it will take a bit to get the hang of the differences (if you choose to stay). HP is overkill with the family-friendly guidelines because there is so much riding on them regarding their AdSense account. Because we are all lumped in together here on HP, if Google yanks HP's AdSense account, even temporarily, we all lose our ability to earn from AdSense during that time. They would have an angry mob at their doorstep; also, they can't afford to give Google any reason to downgrade HP, as it seems Google is watching and waiting for any little slip-up to use against content sites.

Content sites are on shaky ground these days, and HP has to be extra vigilant to stay at least somewhat stable. Most other sites have already gone under.

If you decide to stay, post your G-rated stuff here, and put the PG-13 stuff elsewhere. It is a bummer, but it is one strategy that is working to keep HP from meeting the fate of other content mills.

To answer your question, there are many different benefits to HP, but for some people, the main one is that articles get found by Google quickly and can rank highly rather quickly, as there is ranking power in the size and age of the site.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
            Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about G-rated. HP recently held a hub up as an example of greatness which included the "f-word" and ... what was the other one? Anyway, it was the hub about cocktails. Apparently, the words were OK in those cases because they were used as proper nouns in the names of drinks. smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This line might be the issue.  HP is not a blog platform. Wordpress and Blogger are blog platforms.  If you're here simply to write, you will need to familiarize yourself with different formats for your writing if you want your work featured. HP obviously wants quality pages that will bring in traffic so they have guidelines to help the writer.  There is also a learning center with a lot of helpful articles.  It does help to look around the site before jumping in and publishing.

7. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I would have never thought of HP as micro-managing. I've seen far worse, for certain.

Basically, this site is a business and those who run it can't afford to have people publishing any old thing they like that will get the site slapped by Google.

It is a user-friendly site with lots of tools and media to easily put together a professional web article (not a blog post).

You can make decent money here on a regular basis, if you know some SEO. Not so sure about affiliate marketing, it's not really a site for that kind of thing. Which is good because that's what destroyed Squidoo.

8. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the video, polls are not required, you write what you think, at least 700 words which i am sure you can

9. healthinbeauty profile image60
      healthinbeautyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have a wonderful website ... i dont know why you still thinking to earn from here ... if you like to get more traffic on there i can help you with that ...

10. Maffew James profile image93
      Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages isn't a blog. It's a platform where you can publish articles, but it does have a few stringent rules like any other publisher. In return for working to a certain standard of perceived quality and style, you benefit from the domain authority and revenue share.

Even with a blog, you're waiting around for Google to index your article. Google decides whether your content is worthy of being included in search results. The QAP at Hubpages is designed to try and make sure the content you publish is more likely to be picked up by Google. It also weeds out spam that would otherwise negatively affect the site as a whole if anything could be published without review.

It has no bearing on your potential to make money. The number isn't necessarily to inspire quality writing. It's to inspire adherence to what Hubpages considers quality writing in the eyes of Google. This doesn't always match up and the many people in the forums complain about the inequality it breeds, as well as the fact that a lot of what makes up the score is arbitrary or only arguably important.

If you want to make a name for yourself, judge your success by traffic, your readers, and their interaction with your work. If you want to make money, judge your success by ad impressions, CPM, and sales as well as reader satisfaction. The number is irrelevant if you're reaching your own goals.

Don't add them then; you don't need to. I have a grand total of two polls, and this was in earlier articles. Whilst it may potentially increase engagement, this isn't necessarily the case. Include them only in articles where highly polarising views may be present and it may drive people to vote and then comment. If it is inappropriate for the content, don't include one.

The idea is, Google measures engagement data from people who have the Google toolbar or who reach your article through the search engine. The longer people stay on site, and the more pages they view before leaving, the more Google tends to perceive your site as quality. Sites with high bounce rates and a low view duration are a target for the Panda algorithm.

Engagement data is a big part of how Google measures whether your content is 'quality' in relation to Panda. Bad engagement metrics compared to similar sites places a target on your site.

Revenue keeps websites alive. Nothing is free and websites require design and hosting. Writers and all humans in general have living expenses. The dream for many people here is to live off freelance writing, with Hubpages as a partially passive source of constant income and a good portfolio of work.

Others are marketers or webmasters who have their own websites and products in addition to their Hubpages account and Hubpages is part of a much broader strategy. In this sort of situation, they want to see a return on investment. Either, the account makes money, or it increases brand awareness or fame for a group or individual. If it does neither, it is time wasted.

Then you have plenty of people who are just so desperate for a little extra money because the economy is still crippled all over the world. That's the sad reality of the world we live in. Unemployment is high, and many people will try something like this just to help pay their mortgage or buy food for their family.

Many are also from countries with less freedom and terrible work conditions that drive them to try writing online. There's a lot of reasons why someone might write on Hubpages and be so intent on making money from it. Regardless of reason, I don't believe it is misplaced to hope for a return on investment for time spent doing something, although many people just write to amuse, teach, inspire, or learn.

SEO is easier on Hubpages. Authority and trust readily trickle down to your subdomain and this helps you rank more quickly and effectively than on a new website. Hubpages itself also maintains social media accounts that can give you a leg up, has automatic rich pins on pinterest, and the guidelines for article writing are designed to help you rank on Google and be shared on social media.

Demand Media takes the cake here. A publisher has to be like this though because Google can and does readily penalise and destroy sites who let spam become too prevalent. The guidelines of Hubpages are to protect the website as a whole, as well as the company's reputation with advertisers.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent explanations, Maffew. The OP's question and thoughts have been really bugging me and I fail to see why she even bothered. If someone is that negative and disappointed, they are better off somewhere else. She has the misconception that HP is a personal blog and should have no rules. There is a huge difference between a blog and a content writing site.

Thank you, Maffew, for your reply.

2. Health Reports profile image83
        Health Reportsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000

11. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're clearly an experienced blogger and you've hit many nails on the head - but the  benefit of HubPages is exactly what you stated:  if you need a revenue-sharing site to post stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere, you won't find a better one than here.

I agree the bootcamp is irritating but HP were forced into it by the number of spammers trying to join. Once you get through it you'll never have to think about it again!  Scores are another irritation - the vast majority of Hubbers hate them because they don't tell you anything meaningful, but you'll learn to ignore them with time.

The rules are not as bad as you think - many are guidelines, not rules, and you can ignore them if you like.  I wrote a Hub for Squidoo members joining HubPages - you'll find it on my profile - which summarises which is which.  You absolutely DO NOT need to put videos or polls in Hubs that don't need them.

You can use affiliate links - the limit is two to the same domain in each Hub.  Clickbank is not allowed, nor are links to landing pages.  The fundamental rule is that all links MUST be directly related to the main subject of your Hub.   

You clearly already know that to be successful, a blog must have a solid chunk of articles around a single topic.  So starting your own blog for odds and ends that don't fit elsewhere is not going to work.  Big rev-sharing sites have the advantage that they already have a lot of articles on most subjects so your article can slot in with those.

12. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is not a blogging platform.

13. kalmid profile image42
      kalmidposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While HubPages is not a blogging platform, I agree with all your thoughts entirely. I started here a couple of years ago, left, and now I'm trying it again. With both articles I've written, they have come back as "spammy". Yet, I see articles, and HOTD's that are less than quality. I've started to think that HP is a recipe site, or even a travel site.
      I've tried to fix my "How to Grow Chamomile" hub 3 times, and if HP does not accept it this time, without calling it "spammy", there will be one more hub, and I will be gone...again...forever.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time here, but I really do tire of hearing people who are upset with this site making threats about leaving.  Do you think making this threat is helping you here?  People here are trying to help you, but if you want to leave despite this assistance, don't just threaten, just politely thank those who spent their time to help you and simply close your account and leave.

It is nobody's "fault" that your hubs are not getting featured.  Obviously you are not following the guidelines, or they would be featured already.

Instead of making threats, why don't you take the time to read the guidelines in the learning center , read some hubs from people who have been successful here, compare what you are doing to what they are doing, make corrections and move forward.

This would be a much better use of your time and could result in success here.  If, however, your problem is that you do not really want to follow the rules, then you might as well say farewell now, because those rules are what keeps this site afloat and also bring success and good income to many here.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great reply. How often have we all heard "If you dont change the rules for me I am taking my ball and going home!"????
          I am amazed at people like relache and Marisa Wright that continue to help, despite being here for years and hearing the same thing over and over. Kudos to you all.

1. Sed-me profile image80
            Sed-meposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of ppl's response when our store doesn't have something they want on the shelf. "I'll just go to _______." (Our competitors store.) Our competitor charges twice what we charge, and our store is twice the size of theirs. There's no way on earth any store has every item that every customer wants 100% of the time.

My first irritation is that there are ppl starving in the world... literally, and some spoiled American not only flips out b/c he can't get *what he wants *when he wants it, but he also wants to sting ppl with his words. He thinks when he mentions the competitors name we will all burst into tears, get on our knees and beg him not to go. I apologize, remind them that the truck should bring new items soon, but when they lash out and threaten to go to a competitor, I just say, "Okay, sir."

What am I gonna do? Grab his leg as he leaves? No, but I'll help him to his car.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
              csmiravite-blogsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The best argument that I have read so far in HP. Simple, straight to the point, and stings where it hurts the most. Biting words, but so finely written, that I can only stare in awe on what was said.  smile

1. Sed-me profile image80
                Sed-meposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If I said anything awe-inspiring, I'm sure it was quite by mistake. But I thank you for such a supportive response.
                XO

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
            Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know, the patience of our loyal long termers is wonderful and I'm always inspired that they have taken the time to help me!

2. kalmid profile image42
          kalmidposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No one said I wasn't, or didn't want to follow the rules, or that I wanted them to change them. It was also not a "threat" of leaving. I already left once before because HP was a waste of my time. I thought I would give it another go. Unless this is your full time job, you will never make a good income on here. I guess that depends on what your definition of a good income is. I don't consider pennies a day an income.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
            LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm. You have two hubs here, kalmid, one of them is brand new.  I don't know what you were wasting your time doing before you left the first time, but it doesn't look like you were creating hubs.

If you want to make more than pennies a day, you'll need to make more effort.  Hubbing doesn't have to be a full time job, but if you want to earn any kind of income it does require creating unique and interesting content.

I notice your chamomile hub passed the quality test, but I doubt it will make much of a contribution to your earnings. Why? Because 624,000 other people have also written about how to grow chamomile.

Adding the word organic to your title does restrict the competition a little .... but there's still 621,000 results for how to grow organic chamomile.

If you want to have a chance at actually making decent money, you'll need to take note of hints here on hp about how to write successful hubs. Otherwise you'll definitely be feeling like you are wasting your time.

14. Sed-me profile image80
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The eleven cents sittin' in my account will tell you why it's better... it's the COLD HARD CASH!

15. AuniceReed profile image71
      AuniceReedposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is quite a bit different than blogging. For starters, HP wants lengthy articles. Blogs consist of a series of short, informal posts. You might want to try Writedge and Daily Two Cents for some of your writing that won't work for HP. Both of these sites are run by the same company, but Writedge requires 400 word articles, while Daily Two Cents wants you to submit 200-300 word articles. Just so you know, you likely won't make a lot of money on residual writing sites, but as you get the hang of it, your writing will improve and you will earn. As for the affiliate links, you can post a couple I think, but there are specific rules to doing that on HP and I think it has something to do with the score of the hub as well, Now the polls are not required actually. I rarely do this on mine because they aren't always appropriate for the article I'm writing. However, my hubs tend to be around 1,000 words or more. I hope this helps.

16. GizSleep profile image56
      GizSleepposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just like having somewhere to write if I'm honest, I do find the rules a little tiring but there are rules everywhere in life

17. Bidd Waxx profile image73
      Bidd Waxxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lets face it, lighten up, think positive, don't go hunting unless you can bring home the buck!  right? wrong? This place does not give a payday. End of story. Be creative, write from the heart, be informative, correct amount of words in the writing, come on, what is really going on in the office? Who's doing the accounting in the accounting office? That's how I feel. Sorry for laying it on the line. As well, how did the writer hit it lucky to go viral? I went  through the beginning process running down one way streets, dead end avenues, and tunnels that shed no light. I never got a payday. Well, maybe $1.37.  The ocean will roar. Please reply

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

not $$$, but $

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

well .cent

3. JennyDelToro profile image61

The bootcamp thing might be new, I'm having to wait 24 hours to have anything published, and if it doesn't pass their "quality assessment" it will not be featured. I have to have 5 articles featured before I pass bootcamp. I have 2 articles that HP will not publish because they're not up to par with whatever their idea of quality is. I was told to try adding some high-quality photos or a poll in order to improve it. I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in all of my articles looking like Buzzfeed.

The community aspect does seem great, but I just can't get over having to jump through so many hoops just to post a blog that I'm not even getting paid for.

1. profile image0
      Jill Mooreposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm new too. I have two hubs through the bootcamp and my third is pending. I'm not minding it all too much but I think I'm coming at it from a different perspective to you. You already have a well established (hilarious) blog with quite a distinctive style!

I started my (current) blog at the same time as I joined HubPages and it has the grand total of three posts so far! What I want for my hubs and my blog posts is for them to serve as a portfolio as I try to make a living from writing. I don't expect either of them to be the living but I hope they will lead to paid writing work - and they're beginning to. As such, they serve different purposes. My blog posts are shorter and range in topic. I set my own topics, plan my own style and edit it myself. It shows off one skill set. Hubs are long form articles so although I still get to choose the topics, I'm learning a different set of skills / rules. These are to do with SEO and what drives traffic or how to engage readers with short attention spans into staying with a long article (which I see as the purpose of the images and stuff). I myself don't particularly engage with articles that way - I'm all about the words so I do understand what you're saying but, from HubPages perspective, that is what they see as "engaging" readers. And if I'm going to pitch to magazines and so forth, I'll need to write to their requirements not mine. Horses for courses and all that.

I'm not sure what I make of the sticker score. Do non-Hubpages readers see it? If not, then I presume it exists like forum designations do, for the community only.  I presumed it was to indicate those who were active - especially around the forum. I'm slow to publish my writing but my score seems to have gone up as I've participated here so I assumed it was, at least, a mark of how involved we are. Whether that is a good thing or not is open to debate!

1. Elsie Hagley profile image71
        Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like how you responded to this forum thread.
        Your profile score is higher than mine and you have only been here a few weeks.
        All the best to your future writing. smile

4. JennyDelToro profile image61

Oh, and sticker a score on every bloggers pic. What is the point of that? It's kind of demeaning.

1. profamy profile image67
      profamyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this. If anything, it's discouraging and makes me feel like I'm constantly getting judged by the site for giving me the number and by everyone else who sees it.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image82
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jenny, I notice you mention "blog" several times. HP is not a blogging site, nor is it a blogging platform. It is a content site, which is not the same as a blogging site.

5. JennyDelToro profile image61

/sticking. oops.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 9 years ago

Its one of the best dating sites I know!

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What time should I pick you up? big_smile

smile

3. csmiravite-blogs profile image73
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

7. healthinbeauty profile image60
    healthinbeautyposted 9 years ago

Dear Jenny,

I totally agree with you as a starter, well let me put hubpages for you in an easy way...if you want to earn from Hubpages Quick it be a little difficult for you as now as the technology has change alot...

Let me put it this way, ever article which is produced by you and is passed out with copyescape will help you give few points, secondly use Keywords when writing articles as you be getting good traffic that through that you get paid via adsense ....

With Hubpages you get one thing is that it has a developed traffic already, and this  traffic is driven without your SEO.... I would suggest you to first find on what topic you willing to write, then do a little research on keyword specification and then write article...

8. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 9 years ago

Jenny, you may feel like your writing is too excellent to go through a bootcamp, but if you stay around here a while you will see a lot of poor writers that really benefit from having their early hubs gone over carefully. It is not such a terrible thing and was devised for a reason.
    You may not be happy with your revenue, and maybe you never will be. There are others here who are satisfied with the earnings. When I started here back in 2012, my articles were shorter and not as clear. The "knick knacks" you do not like make others more likely to go through the entire hub, link to it, save it, etc. The hub rises in SEO, the number of page views goes up, your revenue goes up. Those extras were also put there for a reason.
    No one is forcing you to add those extras or do things that will improve your traffic.
    (Oh, by the way, HP is not sticking a number on every bloggers pick. The people writing articles for this site are not web logging.)

Oh, I don't think my writing is excellent at all! It's definitely ok, but excellent, nah. Maybe sometimes though.

But I'm writing actual, original content! And I'm pinteresting it and facebooking it and twittering it for free!!

Why the heck do I deserve all the beatings from upstairs? ugh. this site!

9. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

HubPages is a business, and they are doing what they can to stay profitable in this age of Google pandas and penguins. While most members are here for fun and a few extra bucks each month, the site owners and their employees feed their families with this site's revenue, and they have put all the inconvenient hoops in place to protect their livelihoods (which also helps protect HP members).

Think of it this way: what if you opened up your blogs to any and all guest bloggers, but were not allowed to view and approve of any content before it was published? You would be embarrassed by much of what people submitted and you were forced to publish on your own sites. The poor content would also take a bite out of your earnings and send your sites' rankings down the tubes.

The hoops are simply a vetting process and nothing personal. Once you pass boot camp and get the hang of things around here, which takes a little time and experience, you'll see that HP is not so difficult or inconvenient. You'll also learn to ignore the silly scores. On the other hand, if your personal blogs are successful, it likely would be more profitable for you to continue your focus on them and not worry about HP and all their hoops.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

People have lots of reasons for writing here, the least of which is probably immediate monetary gratification. When the money starts trickling in it is encouraging. When it comes as a surprise every month or so, it is very nice-- because by that time you have already learned about the other benefits.  It's not for everyone, but there are a lot of exceptional people here.

11. SmartAndFun profile image94

Jenny, I just checked out your blog and it is hilarious! lol

Thank you! smile

12. SmartAndFun profile image94

By the way, I too am not a fan of maps and polls and all that junk. They are irrelevant for most of my subject matter. I do like to use plenty of photos, if possible, and a YouTube video here and there when appropriate. The bells and whistles are not required, but photos, especially, are very valuable. HP likes people to include all that other stuff because it helps keep readers on our pages longer, which translates to higher Google rankings. Add that stuff if possible, but don't feel that you must.

13. RanaKm profile image44
    RanaKmposted 9 years ago

Jenny, I have to agree with all of what you've said. We're just robots that make money for the moderators and we're given strict rules and 5% ad revenue shares. Sounds pretty much fair for brilliant writers, huh? Lol.
    *Sarcasm*
    If I consider myself as a pro writer, then I would never think about writing on here or other similar sites.

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah, but if HubPages advertised by using the figure they paid out to writers on this site in the past year, you'd see a stampede of would-be Evanovich's and Grisham's battering at the door to get in. 

The fact is, HP pays and it's got credibility.  It doesn't pay a lot for casual bloggers, no.  It pays for consumer-minded people who understand why people go to Google and type stuff into their search boxes.

I've had some small success doing other things, but I've liked HubPages from the day I walked in and got a load of the other eccentric writers here.  I knew I'd found a place that tickled my fancy just right.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Jason. smile

14. chika-nicholas profile image67
    chika-nicholasposted 9 years ago

Jenny,you are on point.
    I sure do not like too much rules and micro-managing as they  stifle creativity .
    You have made a great step having a blog(s) of Your Own.
    That ,to me,is the most important.

15. CelebrateUSA profile image75
    CelebrateUSAposted 9 years ago

HubPages may not be for everyone, especially established writers. I cannot speak to the boot camp but I can speak to the guidance/rules and those suggestions have really helped me as a writer here on HubPages.
    The item I believe perhaps you are missing is the "formula" for HubPages is different from other sites.The content is long and the images/videos are key to tell the full story.

I completely agree with you about the money. HubPages is really a social site for me to learn how to write, how to promote, to learn about technology. The money part is so nominal for most writers. Yes, there are those working at full-time and earning good money but that is such a small percentage.

However, HubPages does make money so it unlike other social outlets has that to offer. The money here because the articles are so long and the time it takes for the search engines to appreciate content takes a long time to see. If you are persistent and stay with it for years as I have done, it does make a nice part time income for me.

Personally, I have never had a part-time job that still pays me years later so I am thrilled.

What has helped me is a site - completely free called Grammarly, it is quick and simple editor that is free. Also, I have found it has helped my hub score. I don't have the patience for the details like Grammarly does.

Best of luck to you.

16. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

For me, Hubpages has actually been my most lucrative option so far. It's also an outlet that I know drives Google traffic to my articles-and I own all of the content. If I ever want to unpublish it and move it elsewhere I am free to do that.

I know you're only making a small amount right now but as time passes you will see greater gain. Each month I make more than the month before. I'm not rich but it's enough income to knock out a bill each month so that rocks!

As others have said, Hubpages isn't for everyone, but the first few weeks here aren't a great indication of what the rest of your time here will be like if you stick to it.
    Also, all of the bells and whistles are optional. I only utilize the photos and my Hubs do just fine.

Don't worry about your Hubscore either, it's private and doesn't really affect anything. I think it's just to help motivate us, haha.

17. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 9 years ago

I take back what I said about the scores being private. I guess they're not, but I've never noticed them before, so I guess that shows how much they really matter!

Also, I understand your frustration that Hubpages didn't meet your expectations but at least delete your profile or erase the negative comments in your profile about Hubpages. Anyone visiting the site can see that and it does a huge disservice (not to mention is insulting to Hubpages writers) to those of us who have been here for years and really invested a lot of time and energy into our writing here.

18. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Hub Pages is an outlet to speak your mind and get feedback from. You can shine your writing skills and talent here. You can give and receive valuable information unlike anywhere else. HP is a site to appreciate and be appreciated. You can gain friends across the world. It's a place to earn money. What if they took away HP then where can a writer go? You can flash videos, pictures and food recipes. There are many benefits here. Of course, discrimination, foul language, nudity or disrespect to others should be prohibited. It's okay to complain. People can relate to your pain and etc.

19. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

https://i.imgflip.com/k1chp.jpg

20. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

@Maffew James - 5 stars for a quality forum response smile

21. JennyDelToro profile image61

Thanks for all the replies and advice smile

I think I'm just a rebal without a cause here. It's a great site -- but too many rules, man!

I absoultely detest the little hubscore label though. It's like the equivilent of an employee sales board at a car dealorship.

22. lisavanvorst profile image64
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

For me the benefit is the joy I get in writing my hubs and having others comment on them. I also enjoy the forum when the topic interest me. I love to write and this is a great site to get advice and comments on. However, money wise I have made nothing. I wish I could earn money on this site, but basically I write for the passion of expressing my feelings.

23. Swapnil Kashyap profile image64
    Swapnil Kashyapposted 9 years ago

I think You're just being Negative.

24. Shelly Nun-Chucks profile image65
    Shelly Nun-Chucksposted 9 years ago

Well, I think it is practice for me. I just write.  I think Yoda said, don't say, just do or something like that.

I have fun writing and no expectations.

if things get featured on my pages, it gets featured.

I just to write the best I can.

I have fun and that is a good way to look at it, have fun writing what you write here. smile

25. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hello Jenny. I suggest you spend enough time to create 10 hubs on search-worthy topics that follow the HP rules - complete with photos, an occasional video and an occasional poll - and then wander away and continue to focus on your blogs.

You don't have to participate to earn. Come back this time next year and decide whether or not you want to create more hubs ... based on how your first batch perform.

26. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 9 years ago

This lady did have several featured hubs  which are now gone. I guess she decided to leave.

27. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image59
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Several benefits and all will help you. I have done a couple of hubs in this regard and hence don't repeat here.  Please find the same and convince yourself how rich the experience you are having just associating with HP.

DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

As Susana pointed out above, this woman already quit...and what is it you are always saying about quiters?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I saw a hub by her this morning on my feed, one that had previously been featured.  Maybe she's editing her hubs and trying again.  Her profile is still up.

28. kinjal8891 profile image60
    kinjal8891posted 9 years ago

hey, even i am new to these with exisiting blog on wordpress and i found this very much better than any other blogging site. Its only appreciated but also useful to others

29. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

I enjoy this site because it's really simple to use, the community is fantastic and very helpful, and I'm trying to improve my writing until I feel it's strong enough for me to branch out.

The money doesn't even matter to me right now because it's not like I'm going to start earning big bucks right away. For any new writer or blogger these things take time, and it's better to learn and get better now so you can reap the real benefits in the future.

Yes the rules may be a bit strict, one of my articles had the ads disabled due to what they felt was inappropriate content, but I understand they want to protect this site from going down the tubes as long as possible. Other sites like this failed, I was from Yahoo Voices! but Hubpages survived and that means something.

30. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

It's still up but her profile heading (where we post our "about me" paragraphs) merely says "Boo to this glorified content mill."

....so I guess she's left the building.

(shrugs)

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looks like she took Fat Freddy's Cat's avatar with her, too. sad

Nah, it was simply time to reveal the Man Behind the Cat. big_smile

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12342753.jpg

Hahahahaha!

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, well.  Long live HubPages!

31. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

"What is the benefit of Hubpages?"

If you are really good and behave yourself (or at least try), they will send you gifts. big_smile

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12366200_f520.jpg

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wish they'd make these available to purchase. I love this paradigm you're so lucky smile  I got a T-Shirt at one point, it's cute but not as snazzy as the mugs.

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. HP doesn't mess around, it is indeed awesome. I'm saving it for a special occasion, preferably my next viral hub. big_smile

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Those are cool. I want one too. I'm a coffee fiend, so that mug would be perfect for me.

3. CelebrateUSA profile image75
      CelebrateUSAposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I am so sad! No cup, no shirt! I am a Hubber - oh, no, I am not loved!

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The community at HubPages is what makes is special.  I can't imagine anyone making a living off of writing on HubPages. 

I did not join HP to make money as I already have a good full-time job that is satisfying.  Anyway, what's great about the cup, t-shirt "gifts" is not that HP gives them to you, but it is a result of your peers voting for you, and that makes all the difference in the world!  It is humbling and a great honor to receive a Hubbie Award because of that very reason.  It means you have somehow in one way or another reached or touched the hearts of other gifted writers through your writing or interaction with them in the community.  Better than that your writing is memorable for they remember to vote for you annually.  I think our true personality shines through whatever it is we are writing and that also makes a huge difference ...to stand out from others by just allowing our true selves to shine through our writing.  An important aspect of belonging to this community is supporting other writers by sharing their writing if you do indeed think it worthy to read and it is good writing.  Then why not share it with the world.  I think that is the point.

32. mdgardner profile image91
    mdgardnerposted 8 years ago

Hey I want one of those  smile

paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You've given me an idea...

@HP Maybe HP can be enticed to run some contests to keep us occupied over the summer?

1. CelebrateUSA profile image75
        CelebrateUSAposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I love that idea! That would be fun!

2. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a contest kind of guy but I might participate to get a mug.

33. JennyDelToro profile image61
    JennyDelToroposted 8 years ago

I left for a while, and came back because I see now that this really is a wonderful community and I'm so happy to be part of it. So many people willing to offer genuine advice and support. It's just great. Thanks everyone!

I hope to be a more positive contributor from now on smile

DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back. I was glad to read your comment and wish you great success here at HP.

JennyDelToroposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! Your kind words are so appreciated smile

2. LongTimeMother profile image93
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I took a look at one of your hubs, Jenny, and left a comment.

I trust your new attitude towards HP includes realizing that you'll get honest comments from us ... not always agreeing with what you write.

Discussion is an important part of the process of hubbing. smile

34. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

Welcome back!  Your issues in your early days will still be your issues four years later.  I can tell you that from my experience.  Micromanaging is HP's business model and I think everyone is hard put to tell anybody why.  Hubbers stay for their own reasons and making money is rarely one of them.  Best of luck to you during your stay this time - however long it turns out to be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)