Anyone making any money with hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (41 posts)
  1. retireyoung profile image61
    retireyoungposted 16 years ago

I was wondering if anyone is making any significant money from their pages.  Or are people just doing this for having fun.

2. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

yes people are making money here, not enough to retire on but enough to make paying the bills easier every month

3. Maddie Ruud profile image74
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I make about $10 a day from AdSense, and I've done okay from Ebay and Amazon too... This is certainly not a get-rich-quick scheme.  But the cash is a nice little bonus for doing what you love... writing!

4. makemoneyonline profile image39
    makemoneyonlineposted 16 years ago

$10 a day or a month ? A day I doubt smile

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You doubt someone could make $10 a day?

If that's the case then it's strange that your username would be makemoneyonline.

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Have you checked out Maddie's hubs?  She has a TON of them, and a TON of fans, so $10 is not unimaginable.

1. profile image0
        Lisa Bargerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

$10 a day wouldn't surprise me one bit.  Maddie is a perfect example of both quality and quantity--not to mention she has a LOT of (I'd assume) loyal "fans" who probably visit her pages pretty regularly.

1. makemoneyonline profile image39
          makemoneyonlineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't say that she can't do it since in absolute sense 10$ is not so much. It's just I do the math:

If she has 105 fans let's suppose 50% visit her. If 10 of them click for 1$ each it would be 10$ per day. But one click is more often than not only a few cents than a few dollar especially on subjects that is general and not specialized.

What I would like is the rationale behind or I will have difficulty to imagine it: I'm not a believer in anything especially in webmarketing as there are so many people bragguing enormous gains to attract gullible visitors. I don't say that for Maddie as she has indeed a great hubpages worth visiting it, I say this is a sound attitude when dealing with frequently overestimated earnings .

Her fans would be the least of her visitors.

As Jason has said, there'd be traffic from Search Engines. But there are other ways to promote a persons website/webpage/hub/lens.

And not just online.

I have a lens (not here, obviously) that gets 3,000+ visitors a week through Yahoo.

I had a website that got 4,500+ visitors a day. That was until I dropped out of favour with Google and was no longer present on the first page of results for a nice keyword. It dropped like a rock and plunged to 1,000 to 1,500 visitors a day and my CTR plummeted. More than what you'd expect. The traffic coming via Google were more inclined to click on Adsense ads. I went from almost $10 a day (for that site alone) to mere crumbs.

5. JazLive profile image60
    JazLiveposted 16 years ago

Having Fun!

6. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Well, I for one hope that Paul & Paul and the gang are making decent money here. They've earned it for running a tight ship. You can say it's just another website, but it's not like anywhere else I've found. It encourages creativity and social interaction, it's fun, and if it doesn't pay my bills I'm not going to worry. There's always the day job!

7. feb4 profile image59
    feb4posted 16 years ago

I'm in the same spot as you; just started so I have no ides

check out my hubs
    http://hubpages.com/author/feb4/latest/

8. JRobin profile image58
    JRobinposted 16 years ago

This week alone I've made acouple hundred dollars with my home travel business. Nothing to retire on, but it sure beats working at a fast food place, gas station, or blockbuster...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Wholesale-travel

9. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

Keep in mind, everyone, that the bulk of your revenue-generating traffic will come from search engines (usually Google and Yahoo). Fellow HubPages visitors are, naturally, welcome too, but Hubbers who are earning serious money, like Maddie, are doing so because their Hubs are getting serious traffic from Google and Yahoo.

What's required to do that:
    1) Create high-quality Hubs
    2) Promote your Hubs (get those inbound links from other sites)
    3) Create more high-quality Hubs around a single topic

More on the steps to getting more search engine traffic here.

- Jason

10. makemoneyonline profile image39
    makemoneyonlineposted 16 years ago

Thanks darkside for your explanation, I feel it's a good one. I hope Maggie didn't feel like an offense. As I said on my hub I'm not a webmarketing guru so the question I ask was a newbie question and I think It has helped other newbies.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image74
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  Seems there's been a lot of discussion of me in my absence!  MakeMoneyOnline, I am not in the least offended...  A little clarification on my part:

Yes, $10 a day.  As others have said, most of my traffic comes from search engines.  Just as an example, my Hub on Wu-Yi Tea gets upwards of 15,000 hits a month, and has been doing this consistantly since I published it 3 or 4 months ago.  As this is just one of my 100+ hubs (some of which do better than others, obviously), suddenly $10+ a day doesn't seem so impossible (the figure is gradually climbing, as I publish new hubs regularly)...

Hope this puts it in perspective for you...

11. GreatTattoosNow profile image58
    GreatTattoosNowposted 16 years ago

Hey There makemoneyonline-

Don't feel bad about asking questions or questioning what you are reading.  You are right it can help others.  Sometimes seeing how much others make can blow your notion of what is possible out of the water and help you to strive for something.

I think your math is fautly though you state

"If she has 105 fans let's suppose 50% visit her. If 10 of them click for 1$ each it would be 10$ per day. But one click is more often than not only a few cents than a few dollar especially on subjects that is general and not specialized. "

What I mean by that is you stated suppose 50% visit her.  Then 10 of them click.  I am not sure where you came up with the 50% visitor her.  Many many of my 17 hubs get 100 visitors a day with one of my hubs now getting 400 visitors a day.  So if only 1% of one of my hub visitors click it would be 4 clicks a day just for that hub.  So you really don't know how many visitors are coming to other people's hubs unless you research the keyword they are working on.  From my 17 or so hub now I am earning 2.50 a day and about 1,800 visitors daily.  Also earn money from affiliate links int he hubs but this topic is more focused on adsnse which is for me at least about 2.50 a day for 17 hubs.  If you multiply that out by 10 times so 17 hubs * 10 I would have around 170 hubs which enters the number range that Maddie Ruud or JimmeyTheJock have then you could also times by 10 the income I make from adsense which would then be about 25 dollars a day!  So 10 dollars a day is very possible.  Maybe a little TMI but owell.  Hope it helps!

12. Mammy profile image57
    Mammyposted 16 years ago

That was really informative!
    Thank you everyone.
    I have just taken a huge leap in my understanding of how this all works!!
    Now to digest it.............. smile

Mammy

13. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

How long did it take before you started to earn money?   I have over 20 hubs and am still sitting on zero dollars.   Not complaining, just curious how long I should give it before I decide whether I have a future here or whether I should decide my writing isn't good enough to hack it here...

14. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Marisa, it took me a few weeks.  Then, it started as just a few cents a day, if I was lucky.  Now, I'm fairly consistent and it's growing, but it took a while.  I think you have to do everything Jason says, then you will start seeing it pay off.  Some of my hubs now turn up on the first page of google search results.  I also have adsense on my blogs and other sites, so I see revenue from there as well.  I'm really learning as I go, so I know there are a lot of things I could do to earn more...but, I'm not doing them yet.

15. Marisa Wright profile image87

Thanks Stacie, it's good to know things are going as they should - I'll hang in there and keep posting!

16. kpfingaz profile image65
    kpfingazposted 16 years ago

I make a good deal of affiliate commissions just through hubs alone but I'm now focusing on PPC advertising so the hubs I do now are just for the fun.

For the newbies on this thread you may want to check out How To Make Money With Hubpages which was a hub I did to answer a request for information on making money from hubpages.

Hopefully you'll understand how its done or give you ideas. There is a lot of potential here and I think its one of the easiest ways for anyone to earn good money online.

If you have a passion for writing or if you can do research really well then even better.

Jay

17. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I make some... But, my revenues are growing steadily. It just takes time.

18. Rudra profile image68
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

I have just started hence there is no chance of getting there YET. But hope to make some at least in the near future.

19. profile image50
    odymanposted 16 years ago

HOW DO I MAKE MONEY FROM THIS

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this
  20. retireyoung profile image61

I think hubpages is a starting point for newbies.  For more experienced people it is just another avenue for making money online.  Keep up with hubpages, but also look at other ways to make money on line like blogging and creating your own website. 

If you need more information on this I would be happy to help.  Be careful not to put all of your eggs in the one basket.

21. Marisa Wright profile image87

Retireyoung

I think it all depends what you're aiming for.  My experiences with blogging and websites have been negative.  Blogging in particular involves a major, regular commitment just to create the posts - not to mention the work needed to promote the thing.  And you have to find an empty niche that you find sufficiently interesting to write about day after day.

When I see other writers talking about the other forums and sites they frequent, I wonder if they actually have time for a life outside the computer!  And if they counted the time they spend on these forums as work, what their hourly rate would be.

HubPages already has some profile so my work gets attention without me having to spend my whole life on the net.  And I can write about a range of unrelated subjects according to where inspiration strikes. 

What's depressing me a little is that I'm still not earning anything from HP.  It's been 6 weeks now and I know it's early days, but it's still a bit discouraging. I thought I had earned a couple of dollars but looking more closely at Adsense, it says it is mainly from my blog - which is weird as I have had only a tiny handful of visitors there, compared to several hundred on my Hubs.

22. Earth Angel profile image60
    Earth Angelposted 16 years ago

Wow!! GREAT information everyone!! As a newbie myself it certainly helps put things in perspective!! Maddie, dear, I was sure you were making at least $100 (one hundred dollars) PER DAY!! Your Hubs are delightful and delicious!! Heck, I would pay you $100 a day just to keep writing!!   ;-)  Earth Angel Blessings Always!!

23. retireyoung profile image61

I think you need to enjoy the work you do on your websites.  If it is a chore, you will never succeed.  I make websites on things that I enjoy providing information on.  I have been at this for nearly 3 years now and I make a decent enough income.  The first two years I worked in the evenings while I worked in a regular 9-5 job.  It is tough, but I love what I am doing.  (Hated the 9-5 which probably also helped).

One of the sites I am working on now I am spending a lot of time researching and producing content.  It is very slow going and I am making very little from it, but I take a long term approach with everything I do.  I spend very little or nothing on advertising.  You need to divide your time between research, producing content and marketing your content.

At the start you spend a lot of time on things that don't go anywhere, but eventually you find your niche.  Also when you are starting out you also spend a lot of time with little reward.  It is for this reason that most people give up.  I have websites now that I don't update at all and bring in around $2000 a month.  Of course I spent hours putting them together, but now I can enjoy the passive income they produce.

24. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes, retireyoung, you've hit the nail on the head - you have to enjoy what you're doing.  I don't think I'm a natural netizen!   Tinkering with websites and dropping in on forums etc is interesting, but not fascinating for me.

25. retireyoung profile image61

Most successful people I know of have all started a website on a topic or hobby that they love.  Monetization came later. 

The first affiliate check is a turning point for many people.  Anyone involved in internet marketing remembers the day the got their first affiliate check.

26. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

You're quite right Melissa - it does take an inordinate amount of time especially at the start.  I've quit my regular job and trying to make this a living same as retireyoung - the difference is he's already making decent money while so far have only been paid out $50 from HP, adsense now owes me the grand total of $18.67 but that's the whole year's earnings!   I have negotiated 6 months with my partner working and me basically doing this full-time with the odd cleaning job to pay the rent and get me out doing some exercise.  I could be in IT earning 6 figures - but even looking at the job ads makes me feel depressed and cynical so I don't think  I will be doing that again! Its about passive income too  -you have nice hubs you could walk away from the internet for 6 months and I think you would come back to find a nice little amount of income coming in - so long as your hubs are timeless!

27. Marisa Wright profile image87

Lissie

I'm like you - so far I've earned about $40 on Helium in 9 months (with 176 articles, you can work out the return on investment for yourself!).  I also started a blog on a topic which was much in demand on Helium, but in spite of that it's made me about 2 bucks. 

I have thought of starting a website on flamenco, but at present I'm inclining towards writing a POD book.  Why post all my material on a blog, where it's open to being plagiarised, and where I have to rely on people clicking on Adsense or affiliate links to earn anything at all?  Whether it's a blog or a book, I'm going to have to promote just as intensively.  At least I'll get paid for a book!

28. retireyoung profile image61

Marisa, I can see how you might feel frustrated.  You could be onto something with the ebook.  I have written a couple.  One sells ok, the others don't make much.  How to ebooks do well. 

Just make sure there is a market there before you start. 

For example, go to http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/  From what I have studied you will need to have at least 200 searches a day on the keywords you plan to target.

You can get a free ebook on why how to ebooks are the way to go at: teachingsells.com I have no affiliation with the site, but found the info helpful.  (I didn't sign up with the course though)

I have also written some tips here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Tips-for-findin … new-niches

29. caspar profile image59
    casparposted 16 years ago

Marisa

I had to look up POD I didn't know what it meant - Print on Demand (apologies for my ignorance) - is that the same as an ebook?  I think writing an ebook is a great idea.  A flamenco website could be a goer too.  I've started looking into writing my own ebook, as I have made a little bit of income promoting an ebook using Clickbank, but the ebook I was selling is now no longer available and I think I could produce a decent replacement.  Does anyone know of any alternatives to Clickbank for getting an ebook you have written by yourself promoted by affiliates?

Lissie

You are very brave and I wish you all good fortune, I'm sure that you will do very well, but it does take time to build an income.  I'm in a similar position myself.  I'm about to give up my job.  I'm currently off work due to stress and simply cannot face going back.  I originally intended to look for another (less stressful) job, but I'm so enjoying pottering about at home, writing hubs and developing websites, and now the thought of any kind of outside job gives me the heebie-jeebies.  All I need to do is convince my partner there's money in it and that we won't starve.  I've got about $200 in my Adsense account (mostly from a website which I set up in January, and this has gradually built up from a few cents a week to about $2-$3 a day now.  I don't get much Adsense from Hubpages yet, but I do know that articles and websites need time to mature.

Retireyoung...you give us all hope - keep it up!

Print on Demand (I didn't realise that the lingo for it was POD) is something like what www.cafepress.com does.

Whether it be t-shirts (and other fashion items), books and even CD's.

30. retireyoung profile image61

Paydotcom is an alternative to Clickbank: http://hubpages.com/hub/PayDotCom

I am currently using both and they each have their own pluses and minuses.

I think it is important to develop multiple streams of income, both on the internet and offline. 

I have ebooks, websites, blogs and of course some pages here.

Don't just rely on adsense or hub pages if you want to make money.  Try various different options to find what you like and is profitable.

Adsense is ok but affiliate programs and selling advertising directly to businesses is more profitable.

31. exmachina profile image61
    exmachinaposted 16 years ago

There are several factors involved in making money from hubpages, A lot have been covered before in this thread but I noticed that 3 important factors are missing. If you are are just using hubpages as an outlet for your creative talents then please just carry on with what you are doing. (one of the things I love about hubpages is the mixture of  creative and business sites) But if you want to make money online I hope you'll find the following useful. Personally I try to do both.

1. Choose a niche topic with searches and not too many competing pages. It's all well and good writing a hub based on a niche like "Green emeralds" but if no one is searching for it you'll  not get any traffic. The same if 1000 people search for it a day but there are 150,000 competing pages. However if 100 people a day look for "Green emeralds" and there are only 800 competing pages about it you will get traffic.

2. Don't build your hub and leave it there promote it via other sites and get links back to it.

3 Your hubpages should only be part of your money making ventures. You should be using websites, blogs and other web 2.0 sources. Google are always tweaking their algo's 6 months ago you would find squidoo lenses at the top of every search, not so many now are there!  If you have a variety of sites you'll find that some will rank well then drop and other's will start to rank well at a different time. For a recent product launch I had 6 or the top 10 places in google. Needless to say i made lots of sales without spending any money on PPC.

I wrote a traffic generating guide for some of the members of my site. I've added it to my blog You might find it useful as an overview of 1 way in which you can generate traffic. Using this method I can get any of my sites from 0 visitors to 100 in under a month. So i am sure it will work just as well for hubpages. I've included an east to follow diagram at the end of it.

you'll find it at the link below

http://www.income-academy.com/blog/free … ion-report

hope that was useful...

Mark

32. thecounterpunch profile image61
    thecounterpunchposted 16 years ago

Even I do make a few dollars ... so anybody can but for sure I won't quit my normal job to make a living with hubpages smile

33. maverickmonk profile image61
    maverickmonkposted 16 years ago

i'm just able to get abt 5$ to 7$ per month
    tat too only on google not a single buck from amazon n ebay  sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)