Can We really make Money from Hubpages??

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (83 posts)
  1. techgossip profile image73
    techgossipposted 11 years ago

Hey hubbers out there.. I am new to hubpages and i am not sure if I can really make money here. Like i have seen some success stories in hubpages but that seems to be long time ago. I am a student and i have little extra time. I would like to utilize my time writing hubs here only if I can really make some money out of my precious time. So i would like to request all of my senior hubbers to suggest me. should I continue?? or just Give up???

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Writing online is not FAST money but it can be PASSIVE money. That said, what you have so far is time based - not evergreen. Most of that will be out of date in a year or less.

On average it takes 6-9 months to make your first payout here if you work at it, then the time continues to halve after that. If that's too long then yes, you're in the wrong place.

1. techgossip profile image73
        techgossipposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks wrylilt , I really appreciate your suggestions.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've been here 10 months and I've only made about $8. I sure as hell ain't gonna be able to pay off my student loans with that.

3. gladiols profile image60
        gladiolsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is not easy as it appears, thank you very much for sharing this information.

2. Sue B. profile image94
      Sue B.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally wouldn't give up but I wouldn't count on the income you receive from hubpages.  It is nice supplemental income.  Right now, I barely write any hubs and I make about $100-$150 each month on the 46 or so hubs I have written.

It took me about a year to actually get a pay out then I noticed it steadily climb. I did try to promote my hubs and did try to write hubs that seemed "searchable" or interesting to those who would be searching for information. 

If you like writing and are online anyway- what do you have to lose?

3. prospectboy profile image87
      prospectboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you're only wanting to write here for financial reasons, then you maybe should stay away. It takes time and effort to build up quality hub numbers, and earn regularly. If you enjoy writing and view it as a hobby or passion, give it a go. You won't regret it. There are so many helpful members on here.

4. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you are looking for quick and easy money, then HubPages is not the place to satisfy that need. On the other hand, if you enjoy writing and interacting with other writers, then you will enjoy being a writer at HubPages. If you write what is known as "evergreen" content and you format it well, paying special attention to quality (i.e. spelling and grammar), then over a short period of time, you will begin to earn money. I am not earning to the level other writers claim on HubPage's success page, but I am earning income that I can use as bonus money which allows me to go out and have a little extra fun in life. There have also been times that the money has come in handy to pay a bill or two. No, I'm not rich from writing at HubPages, but I am rewarded. Plus, I use my profile page as my portfolio page where potential clients can come view my writing style. I am a freelance writer, so having a portfolio is the ultimate benefit for me.

2. Jennifer Madison profile image76
    Jennifer Madisonposted 11 years ago

It really depends on how much time you have to write articles because if you want to produce a well-written article based on an appropriate amount of research and with valuable information, you need a couple of hours per week in order to increase your earnings fast. I am very busy with my job and I am writing hubs in my free time and I have only noticed that what I wrote a year ago is only now paying off. I would say it depends on quantity and quality. If you have three well-written articles you won't make more than a couple of cents here. I would recommend that you set yourself a realistic goal like 5 hubs per month and really stick to that goal.
    Write articles that are still going to be interesting in a couple of years. Something that does not get outdated too quickly. I have noticed that articles based on a current topic hardly gets any views anymore after a couple of weeks. 
    I also noticed that people are especially interested in the following topics: health and diseases, learning languages, earning money online, working from home and family and parenting.
    It is also not only about writing the hub but looking for pictures, adding links to your articles that might interest the reader, add videos and all the other capsules available. All of this takes time. It usually takes me between 30 and 40 minutes only publishing the article after I have finished writing the article. But I also pay attention to place links to my other hubs, to the blogs that I have and to arrange the article in an attractive way so that the reader is incited to read it.
    Now I have 45 hubs after more than a year and still cannot pay my bills with my earnings. It takes time and patience. As long as you enjoy writing and contributing to the hubpages community, hubpages is the right place for you. Judging by the other hubbers I have met, it takes 3 years to make some decent money, provided that you keep writing and keep being active in the community. You don't have to write an article every day but make sure to write articles regularly even if it is only once a month.

1. Desmondlee89 profile image73
      Desmondlee89posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As a new hubber like you tech gossip, I believe the FAQs actually indicate at least 9 months to a year before you can see any earnings. I chose to hub nonetheless because I like writing and who knows what my future employer might think if he/she knows I can write? If you are looking to earn quick money, I dont think this will be a good place =/

3. sleepylog profile image60
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

I've been writing hubs since December and each month my earnings increase. I think I'll be making my first payout at the end of May.

It takes a lot of work and promoting of your own hubs and I suggest you read EVERYTHING in the learning center and listen to the advice of successful hubbers.

Write quality hubs, paying attention to correct spelling and grammar and strive to get your hubs featured.

Aim to write at least 3 to 4 hubs each week and keep them up to date.

4. poshcoffeeco profile image82
    poshcoffeecoposted 11 years ago

I agree. 150  hubs down and making money each month. Takes time and a lot of patience. Learning centre is the place to go. Good luck.

5. techgossip profile image73
    techgossipposted 11 years ago

well as for time, i can spare couple of hours per week. and i think I can find more time for writing hubs in near future if it seems to be really working. Thanks all for taking your time to post your comments smile))

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to disagree with the couple of hours thing.  It usually takes me around 6-8 hours to write a "stellar" quality hub; more if I have research to do.

Now, that includes time outside actually writing; photos need to be taken, adjusted, cropped and uploaded.  They need set into capsules placed just so.  Amazon and eBay products need to be found and inserted.  I proof everything at least twice.  Backlinks to and from other hubs need put in.  Other capsules (map, quiz, etc.) need made and put in.  A little promotion on social sites doesn't hurt. 

Just those things beyond simple writing take more than 2 hours, often by quite a bit.  Example; right now I'm writing a review hub on a car stereo, and the text is pretty much done.  I just spent 20 minutes in the car taking a dozen or so pics, and it will take another 1/2 hour to hour to tweak them; add arrows or text to the photo, crop them, adjust lighting, etc.  Then they need uploaded to HP and put into capsules.  Photo capsules must be designed and possibly text capsules moved or broken up to give the right placement.  Captions must be added to each photo, hopefully keyword smart ones and that may mean a trip back to the keyword tool.  When that's done I still need some eBay and amazon capsules, with products in them.  I need a summary, and a group.  I need to backlink from a few other hubs. 

No, it's not a two hour job to write a good hub.

1. agilitymach profile image93
        agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with this.  A stellar hub takes hours to research, write, get the media and create an interesting lay out.  Mine take 6 - 8 hours as well.  I thought I was slow, but I'm glad to see other great hubbers have the same time frame for their stellar hubs. smile

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
        Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@WILDERNESS: I agree with it taking longer than a couple of hours, lol.  I spent right at 6 hours working on the hub I published today and that was with some notes I had already.  Further research and the basic hub lay-out ate my Sunday morning away! Now I await the 24 hour period to see if my hub meets HP's expectations, lol.

@the OP: I made my first payout after four or five months here.  I think I have been here about 16 months so far. During that time with the exception of one month (and the first few months) I have made payout.

Some "seasonal" hubs will do well.  I did one last year and revamped it for this year and it is doing well.  It depends on how long the season may last and the interest pre-season, which seems to be pretty awesome.

I make small amounts on Amazon as well as Ebay, but it adds up over time. 

I will say that HubPages has paid quite a few of my bills over the past year. smile

Patience is the keyword here.  Acceptance is another with many changes that go on within the site at times.

Good luck!

6. nufoundglory profile image58
    nufoundgloryposted 11 years ago

I first joined Hubpages (like 4 years ago) to promote my websites, so I never cared about "earnings" from Hubpages, never tracked my Adsense or Amazon ads earning from the hubs I wrote. I didn't even realize that I had over 100,000 views for my hubs (and at the time I had only written about 10 hubs). I've just recently decided to write more frequently on here after I realized some of my hubs are actually making money on Amazon.

Amazon has a pretty low commission rate, and if you sell cheap items the commissions you got would be even lower. BUT! If you have a constant flow of traffics for the right hub(s), it'll turn into a real passive income for you. You might write a few hubs today and forget about them tomorrow, and the next year they might still make you money is what I'm talking about. Good luck.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good and interesting information and good to know.

7. page1articles profile image59
    page1articlesposted 11 years ago

Sometimes... it takes a whole week... to write a stellar hub!

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello techgossip,
      I've been with Hubpages for 2 1/2 yrs. now. I've learned a lot, and write on 2 other sites, besides my own blog. But it is very time consuming. I find it takes me several hours to write a really good piece, maybe 3 or 4 on one day or night, and then another 3 or so the next day when I decide to either finish it, scrap most of it and begin again, or do whatever I need to feel satisified it's a well written piece. Then you have to allow time to post it. You need pictures, videos, you have to think about the format. I never write about holidays or current events, because once they are over nobody reads the pieces. It took me at least a year to get a payout every month, but less to get one every other month. So if you don't want to put the time in, it's not for you. On the other hand, the community is nice, besides all the written instruction in the learning center, lots of people here are willing to help you. And when you are making money in a year from a hub you wrote a year ago, it feels like you are getting a surprise, or something for nothing. If you can look at it as a sort of investment in the future, go for it! And there are a lot of other sites too once you get the feel of it. NO duplicate content though, don't even think it. Best wishes.

2. FlourishAnyway profile image95
      FlourishAnywayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

page1articles ... I agree, sometimes it takes me that long too.  I thought I was just slow or overly detailed.

8. Vlorsutes profile image73
    Vlorsutesposted 11 years ago

I know I've only been here for a few days now, so I have no real experience when it comes to "writing good hubs", but from my experience when it comes to writing, it may take a long time to write one and it may be a breeze. It all depends on the subject you're writing on and how much research on the subject you've done first.

A subject that you're well versed in and have enthusiasm for will likely help you in writing a detailed, well thought out hub.

9. Abbyfitz profile image73
    Abbyfitzposted 11 years ago

I have learned that if I am writing about something I'm inspired by and I have it in my head, I can write it faster. Even that it still takes 2-4 hours.
    On the other hand, when I try to write something just because I think it will be popular but my heart's not it in, it can take all day.
    I'm the type though, that once I site down to write a hub, I do it from start to finish. I don't like doing part now and part later.

10. c mark walker profile image60
    c mark walkerposted 11 years ago

excellent question that I have doubts about."Trendy" is not where I'm at. Adsense doesn't dig what I do yet it doesn't bother them to advertize on my pubs.

Well since it's unlikely you'll start getting serious money for the first 6-9 months at least, I'd stop worrying about Adsense and just write. You're only missing out on a couple of dollars anyway.

11. livewirez profile image72
    livewirezposted 11 years ago

I had seen most hubbers are already earning from here. But as for me i am still trying to figure how to do it...smile

12. Vlorsutes profile image73
    Vlorsutesposted 11 years ago

We just have to keep at it livewirez. I think that's probably the one bit of advice that they'd be able to give us that'd really help out. We just have to keep writing and learning how to improve how we right and what we right about along the way.

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Okay, you guys are making me feel bad. It doesn't take me nearly as long to write a hub. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? BUT...one of my best performing hubs was written and posted in less than an hour. I'm not counting the time it took for the original photos because I already had them.

Remember the 30 minute hub challenges? big_smile

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol. I was thinking of those as I read the comments here.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember those. Shadesbreath and Cags would initiate them late at night in the forums, probably after a couple of drinks!  I never did one, but read a few of theirs. They weren't bad.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
            Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like fun, it must have been before my time here. A 30 minute hub. But I agree with others here, sometimes it's luck. I've worked so hard on hubs that never took off, and written ones that I think are so/so, and people love them. You never know.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
              rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found one of the Shadesbreath threads.  It has links to some of the 30 minute hubs.  The forums were much more lively then.  big_smile

It is a lot of luck, I think.  You never know what's going to take off.  But once you do, then it helps to keep those hubs fresh and updated and link them with relevant hubs/blogs.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91
        Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a great exercise to get the juices flowing.

14. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

A person can spend hours on one hub and it may not be stellar in the eyes of the readers. I think it doesn't matter how many hours a persons spends on writing/publishing a hub. What matters is what he/she is writing about and the way they are writing it language wise and how the hub is structured/laid out.

15. Bishop55 profile image88
    Bishop55posted 11 years ago

Hi Techgossip,
    I've really only been heavily involved with hubbing since January of this year.  It's hard work making a lot of money.  I've only managed to make about $9 in 3 months.  Not even enough to get a check.  But I love to write, so if I make money, it's a bonus.   I think if you are here strictly for income potential, you'll want to research what is popular to write about, keywords, SEO, and writing blogs with long lifespans (like things you can do, build, fix, recipes) I'm still mind boggled about what makes a hub a big earner.  I have a recipe about soup that is getting so much traffic, yet others are not.    I have a feeling it will take me about 2-3 years of heavy writing before I see decent income, and since it's hard to determine what will be searched most, it's all a big question mark.  To many variables.  Whether or not you should give up is entirely up to you.  I think all I have to offer your question is; hubbing is time consuming, you need to have patience, and you need to write quality hubs that will have a long lifespan to earn long term.  That's what I'm noticing anyhow.  Hope my answer is somewhat helpful.

16. Sherry Hewins profile image91
    Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years ago

Sometimes you work your butt off on something that nobody else seems to care about, other times you dash off a quick post and it takes off. Sometimes it's just luck. If you're only here to make money, quit. It's really that simple. Write here because you enjoy it, and maybe you'll make some money. If you need to earn a living, you can find more lucrative ways to spend your time.

1. c mark walker profile image60
      c mark walkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that Sherry,luck seems like a definite variable in this game

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree about the luck element!

2. Jenn-Anne profile image73
      Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree as well. My best performing hub is a tongue-in-cheek, humorous little essay that I never expected to do as well as it has. I wrote it quickly but spent several days editing and deciding what photos to use. Luck definitely plays a role. That said, I have yet to make payout.  Then again I don't have many hubs and I haven't written anything since August - although I'm working on a new hub now.

17. aparkhurst7 profile image67
    aparkhurst7posted 11 years ago

I'm a new member so I don't have numbers to show yet but I think generally you need to think of the whole process as writing comes first and the money is just a bonus.

18. CandyTale profile image89
    CandyTaleposted 11 years ago

Hello,

I've heard it's not easy to make money with writing and I am new and haven't got an adsense account.

However, I think if you write because you love to do it, you should keep doing it. Maybe you will have an income sometime later, and maybe it will or will not be decent for all the time you put in. The way I see it you will still have a writing porfolio you can show and you would have learned a thing or two about getting traffic and writing articles that people like.

It's better than doing nothing right now because it's not a fair pay.

Anyway if you are in because you want to earn money, I would check out other options as well and see what pays better. I believe there should still be a way to make money with writing, but I imagine it will take time and a lot of experience. If it was easy we would here a lot more "I got rich writing in the internet" stories and less about how hard it really is.

I joined hubpages because it has a lot of resources and programs that can help me be a better writer and because I'm not an English native speaker and there aren't so many other options to start writing if you aren't a native speaker (other than personal blogs).  I've also found the community very friendly and helpful, although I can't participate as much as I would like.

And great information everyone else! it's been very helpful for me as to what expect.

19. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 11 years ago

Hubpages has given me a useful passive income since I joined.  I don't think I am allowed to give figures, but think $000s, not cents.  However, it can be difficult to be disciplined enough to keep coming back and improving what you've written and to write new articles.

Sometimes I find a hub knocked out in 20-30 minutes can bring in more income than one I've slaved over for hours....!

It can be annoying when your hubs are unpublished because the rules changed - although yu just have to suck it up and either leave a hub unpublished, or decide the hub is worthy of a re-write to conform to the new rules.  The new rules are intended to give readers a better experience, so, overall, it is a good thing that you have to go through this annoying process sometimes.

Yes: You can make money from Hubpages.
    Yes: It IS possible to turn writing for Hubpages into a full-time income, given time.  It won't happen from day one, but given some months it can happen.

There's no secret except: write as often as you can; keep visiting the forums for tips; try to improve what you have got.  Also, don't focus on what you can't do, focus on what you CAN do.  I,.for example, struggle with my own photos as I don't have a smartphone so taking photos can be a laborious process and/or I don't have access to photographing perfect images for my hobs.  Also, I don't have any way to create a video (yet).  If you focus on what you CAN do, you can still make good money.

I find I work in spurts on Hubpages.... as I've had a fist full of my own websites to worry about.  Overall, the time/effort I have put into building and maintaining my own websites has not been as rewarding as my Hubpages income though .... so I am now in a phase of building up my Hubpages articles, scores and traffic as it is a more dependable income than my own sites.

Good luck!

1. srsddn profile image89
      srsddnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am new to HubPages, just over a month. What I gather from the senior Hubbers is that it may take many months to get an income worth the name. Patience is a key word and clubbed with perseverance it may bring fruit in due course. Based on this premise my efforts will continue till I really can post my first hand information on this issue. But I am glad that a newbie like me is learning a lot from the experience of others. Thanks every body who replied to this question.

20. baja2013 profile image59
    baja2013posted 11 years ago

I am almost two weeks here and have 5 hubs, all featured. Some 600 views and less than a dollar earning. But, according to experienced and satisfied hubbers, all we need is patient and joy of writting. Money come later.
    Should I be happy with these numbers or need additional effort to make it better?

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Patience and the joy of writing is usually not enough to earn much in the way of money here! Those that earn decent money tend to be the ones who are continually learning about how to make their content more appealing to visitors and more visible in the search results and/or social networks. It's hard work!

So you really need to start learning some basic online writing skills if you if you want to make the most of your work such as:

choosing evergreen topics
      keyword research
      competitor research
      simple onpage optimisation

You also need to pay careful attention to what Google Panda likes and doesn't like.

"Write it and they will come" has never been a particularly effective strategy and one I wouldn't recommend.

1. Bishop55 profile image88
        Bishop55posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Susana, what a great response.  I know have a few more things I research based on what you've said.   And I agree with you 100%.  Earning on hubpages is not something you can sit back and wish for.  you've got to be proactive and work for it.

I meant now.  whoops.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91
            Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bishop55, If you hit the more button underneath your post you can edit it, to fix typos for a few minutes after you post it.

Thanks!  See...I'm learning something new every day. lol

2. Susana S profile image93
          Susana Sposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you've got to work at it  smile

21. imsef profile image59
    imsefposted 11 years ago

If you are writing only to make money from hubpages, it will take time before you get paid. Earning money online through ads or affiliated program don't guarantee that you will earn a lot though but it may. Just no assurance.

22. SAM ELDER profile image55
    SAM ELDERposted 11 years ago

I hope so... XD

23. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Based on self-reported stats I've collected from other site users over the last four years, a rather-steadily consistent 62% of Hub authors earn $10 or less every month.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I bet those who take the trouble to report skew towards being the higher earners.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm talking about who DID choose to report, not guessing at non-reporters.

2. WryLilt profile image87

Uh she just said over 60% of reporters earn LESS than $10 per month. I don't know about you, but I would not call that a high earner!

3. wilderness profile image95

I doubt it.  Were the information collected from the forums I would agree, but when it is in a hub on how to increase earnings it is more likely to be seen and read by those not earning a great deal.

The figures are probably skewed towards the lower earnings, if skewed at all.

1. relache profile image72

About half the people reporting have been with HubPages for more than a year, with half of those being on the site more than two years.  Not total newbies.

The group that seriously stopped reporting are the folks who have been with the site for four or more years.  And the biggest drop in earnings reports have been at the top end of the earning spectrum.  Far fewer people are claiming to make $500 or more per month with the biggest drop coming in the $1000+/month segment.

All that makes sense to me.  It's the people that have figured out they need more information and knowledge (a year or two old, then) that find your hub.  Not too many raw nubes both know enough to know they're ignorant AND are willing to put time into their new get-rich-quick scheme.

It's also those that have been here the longest that Panda hit the hardest, that have seen the greatest income drop and are not particularly interested in saying so.  Not many folks will stand up and declare they've lost $1,000 or more in income that they were so proud of before Panda.

1. page1articles profile image59
              page1articlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I find that people sit down to type an article and expect that they are writers without bothering to hone their craft or put in the effort to overcome issues like Panda. Newbies are a friendly example because most are overcome with enthusiasm for both writing and making money. relache's data seems pretty honest to me. Even when you compare some of the success stories here on hubpages. When you go through and critically read some of their hubs, you can see see why they have stopped reporting. Another issue that I find interesting is that there is so much really great content now on the Internet that I wonder if the idea of a niche market is obsolete.

Just so - most newbies come to either write or earn, often both.  What they don't do is come to learn how to do either - after figuring out that they don't know how they end up on Relache's hub looking for answers.  And while there report that they aren't earning much.

So the data is quite honest, but skewed towards the low earning side because those are the people going to the hub.  They don't read her tips, change their style of writing for a year, and come back later to report again; by that time they don't need to.

true... But even still... quality content is not enough anymore... writing the best hub is not going to get the job done because the life span of that hub is probably very short. Even with evergreen writing, the hub is never finished because it will constantly need to be updated including keywords... which seem to have a shorter and shorter shelf live.

2. relache profile image72

I think HubPages lost a lot of their top-earning segment due to Panda and Penguin.  I feel many of those writers simply took their content and went elsewhere either due to feeling not enough was being done to fix the site fast enough, or not being happy with the changes that did come.

As someone who wrote here a long time ago... I really felt like there were just too many changes and not enough explaination about what those changes were for and why. It made me question whether or not HQ knew how to fix the problems. I also notice when I am doing Google searches that where once there were lots of hubs from hubpages, there are fewer and fewer in the first few pages. I remember several mass exodus where really good writers were here one day and gone the next. I just wonder if we have lost so much top tallent that we have become our own worse enemy... What is left after so much talent has left...

24. CyberFreak profile image75
    CyberFreakposted 11 years ago

I had the same questions when I started, but since I am unemployed and cannot find a job for what seems like years, I have plenty of free time and what's better than writing for a possible profit?
    Well, from my experience, I made my first payout in around 10months and approximately 70 hubs, some of which were not of high quality however, so I had to edit or remove.
    Ever since I have produced some very successful hubs (for my magnitude of views and traffic anyway) and the profit seems to be rising. It isn't enough, but with so much free time, better investing on this than on video games.

25. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 11 years ago

It can be difficult to say how much one earns from Hubpages as it can be distributed.  There's Adsense and eBay earnings and the Amazon sales.  But beyond that there are other ways to earn money through Hubpages, e.g. if you are a business owner writing articles about your services/products then this might bring you sales and customers; affiliate marketers might be making a little extra too in reviews.  Some people are paid to write their hubs by companies they are writing about.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

26. DaffodilSky profile image81
    DaffodilSkyposted 11 years ago

I've been here 6 weeks and I'm really enjoying it.  I've always loved writing but not found an outlet for it.  This format really suits me and fits in with my "day job" as an artist.  I also like the community aspect of it.  I seem to be taking 6-7 hours to finish a hub, using my own existing photos.  I can't really justify the time spent unless eventually it pays a little bit - just to keep me in cat food or whatever!
    I don't know how commercial they are but I am learning about this side of things all the time.  I'm just about to write number 10 and attempt to get an Adsense account. We'll see...

27. Purpose Embraced profile image83
    Purpose Embracedposted 11 years ago

As a new hubber myself, just over a month, I am learning a lot from this discussion. I realize I have to be in this for the long haul, and be willing to make quality hubs. I have started that journey, and I must say that hubbers have been gracious in their comments.

I motivated to continue to write on HubPages and otherwise, as this is my focus in this season of my life. I am confident that my work will pay off in the long run.

What a great answer Purpose Embraced!  I'm new too and having a great time.

28. Desmondlee89 profile image73
    Desmondlee89posted 11 years ago

Does sound rather interesting I guess, considering my venture in hubpages as an avenue to build up my writing portfolio for mass communications experience, so any earnings to be honest is a plus.

29. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

Yes, you can make dozens of dollars per year here.

Hi Bill.  What do you define as dozens?  2 dozen?  $24 a year?  I'm just more or less curious  about what you make I guess.    If I continue at my current rate it will take 12 months to earn $48.  But...I'm not here strictly for money.  I enjoy writing, I would like to earn if possible too though.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've made hundreds... of pennies!!

30. baja2013 profile image59
    baja2013posted 11 years ago

My first 16 days here. I will concentrate only on writting now, because numbers are funny smile
    Write hub or two weekly, don't check statistics and enjoy inspiration.

31. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

A video from Google team talks about evergreen content not needing updating. The man on video said certain stories like a news event may need refreshing. Wish I could remember his name.

Because of that video, I know which hubs need refreshing.

32. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

Well I just guess Panda and Penquin were for a good reason.  Adieu.

33. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

Quality of content is EVERYTHING anymore...maybe you just don't belong here on Hubpages.

Quality is important, yes. But when there are say 50 equally high quality and relevant articles on a given topic, it's not always as simple as "quality is everything."

1. Will Apse profile image90
        Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Panda means that you will not get to compete at all if you don't meet minimum quality requirements. So it is rather important. Get a pass from Panda and HP has the SEO muscle to push you to the top of the pile in many areas.

If HP rate every page with QAP (Paul Edmundson seemed to suggest that this is the objective) then the admin should have a very reliable way of adjusting 'quality' to meet Google's Panda thresholds.

This is assuming QAP is keying into the same kinds of quality signatures that Panda uses.

You may want to read some of this person's other posts. They don't seem to believe that you should try and get traffic to your hubs. Lol

1. Will Apse profile image90
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The little lambs...

34. writingpassion profile image51
    writingpassionposted 11 years ago

In order to make money from Hubpages, you need to sign up for an Adsense account and link it to your Hubpages account. Then you need to enroll for Hubpages Earning program. Moreover, you can also sign up for eBay and Amazon to increase your earning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)