So, I have crazy idea...A HubMob?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 59 discussions (96 posts)
  1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04/flashmob_243x209.jpg

I'm not sure if any of you have heard of a FlashMob, but I think that they are awesome. Basically it's when a group of people go out and do something ridiculous together just for the fun of it and the reaction from other people who see it.

Now, I know that all of us Hubbers are scattered all across the world, but I got to thinking that we could possible do something similar to a FlashMob, but with Hubs on certain topics on HubPages....we'd call it a HubMob. Let me explain...

So, what I would see us doing is each week we pick a topic that we would all agree to write about in the Forums. It could be about anything, but it would just be one main topic that we would all be focused on. We would find the topic via keyword research and some other Google magic and then we would let everyone else on HubPages know what that particular topic is.

For instance, let's say that we picked a topic like 'wedding themes', which I know has some great potential for high-ranking on Google. What we would do then is publish a Hub specific for the particular week's HubMob topic and we would talk about and link to the Hub that we end up publishing here in the Forums. The titles could range all over the place, but the keywords would be focused. Some titles could potentially be:

- The 10 Most Popular Wedding Themes
    - How to pick a theme for your wedding
    - Things to think about when picking a wedding theme
    - Popular American Wedding Themes

We would all post links to our Hubs in the Forum post that I would create and then we would basically begin to take over those keywords on Google, with hopefully several of the Hubs taking up the first page of results. I would keep an eye on them and give the results of the highest Google-ranked Hubs after a week in the newsletter and in the Forums and hopefully we would start to own several keywords on Google as a result, which would be awesome.

It would be a really fun way to write about different topics, too - I am definitely excited to do something like this...I've been wanting to post about it for a while. I also think that it will be a fun way to learn more about other Hubbers and to collaborate on something together as a HubPages community, which we haven't done much of. 

If you'd be interested in something like this, post your thoughts here in this Forum and what we can do is start discussing possible topics on Monday and have one picked by Wednesday, so that it can go out in the newsletter. Then, we can write all of our Hubs and check out results the following week or so.

So...what do all of you think? smile

1. darkside profile image59
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think its a great idea.

And what if we use other sites, blogs, etc, to link to the forum thread too?

I'm pretty sure that the best you can get is two pages in the results for any one keyword/s search.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
        Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But if one or both of these are a tag page... everyone wins.  And that's made more likely the more hubs on a given subject, especially if it's a niche topic.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We need someone who speaks English to translate this part of the discussion so I can keep up with what's going on.  I feel like the little kid in the back seat of his parents car that knows his parents are having a conversation that concerns him but can't understand the code language they're using.

2. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

check out the keyword frozen sparrowz on a hub search Ryan that was a hillarious example of your hub mob idea.....jimmy

Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, I'll check it out...would you want to do it again? smile

1. jimmythejock profile image82
        jimmythejockposted 15 years agoin reply to this

sure I am up for it lol.....jimmy

3. gamergirl profile image87
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

OMG I'm so in!!

Me me me!

Let's doooo it!

Improv Everywhere does the same thing. tongue

I loooove me some Improv Everywhere!

They are the masters of the FlashMob.

4. gamergirl profile image87

Heck yeah!

5. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years ago

I think it is an awesome idea!

I like that on weeks that I don't have time or am super duper lazy, I can opt out.

6. Bob Ewing profile image66
    Bob Ewingposted 15 years ago

cool, I'm in.

Sweet, this is going to be awesome...if we get enough Hubbers in the HubMob, I'm sure that we can really make an impact on some keywords.

7. gwendymom profile image64
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

sounds like fun! I'm in.

Suhhhweet! This is going to give me something to actually look forward to on Mondays now smile

8. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

This is pure awesomeness.  I'd expect nothing less from you, Hup.

Hey, it's what I do. smile

9. Lifebydesign profile image62
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

sounds great, count me in too!

yesssssssssss!

*fist pump*

Now you're all going to be this excited once we pick out a topic to write about, right? smile

1. Bob Ewing profile image66
        Bob Ewingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

right

2. Lifebydesign profile image62
        Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

can't wait Hup!

10. gamergirl profile image87

*high fives Hup*

Monday is going to rule.

11. Marian Swift profile image61
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Sounds like fun ... I'll give it a whirl!

That's what I'm talkin' about! smile

I think that this will really show our Hubber's flexibility and expertise when it comes to writing on certain topics. It's amazing how much you can learn about a topic as you're putting together a Hub about it, ya know?

12. SpotCoolStuff.com profile image69
    SpotCoolStuff.composted 15 years ago

You've got one more person here for your brilliant idea.

Weddings would be a great theme to start with. Too bad the prime wedding season as just past.

1. Inspirepub profile image70
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Depends where you live, you Northern Hemisphere chauvanist ... wink

13. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 15 years ago

I will as well, depending on the topic. smile

Oh Marye, that's part of the fun...writing about things that you normally don't write about. smile

Take a walk on the wild side....

14. profile image0

I have 8 kids, all born at home...all between 9-11.5 pounds....I raise goats..and heritage breed chickens.....I am restoring a 100 year old house....I am rebuilding the house to be completely off grid with water catchment systems, solar panels, and a small wind generator.
    I have been a czech linguist in military intelligence, was offered a scholarship to West Point, a model, and jumped out of planes...I am about to publish a book...have owned a bistro...and done wild life rehabilitation...back when I still had a brain I spoke 3 languages, and my husband spoke 3 as well...he was an iraqui linguist....he became disabled last year and I started to be responsible for an income for the first time in 28 years.It was at that time I had to take of the building projects on the house as well...I have homeschooled for 19 years..I train horses, grind my own wheat, and leg press 170 lbs at the gym...I am a crack shot with a .22 or an M-16. One of my editors, in an interview, called me the combination of McGuyver and Martha Stewart...

I married a MARINE for goodness sake.

Wild side? I don' need no stinkin' wildside.......

big_smile

15. amy jane profile image70
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Wow Marye! Compared to you, I really need to take a walk on the wild side!

Count me in. smile But not if the topic is football. I still have hublove contest flashbacks from the football topic.

16. pcjunkychick profile image63
    pcjunkychickposted 15 years ago

LOL you all crack me up!
    I would love to take part!
    Count me in.
    Um... I moon light on many a site...
    Would be great fun to have a basic focus
    Not to mention saturate the big G! LOL

P.S. My main focus is to never pi$$ off Marye! LOL J/K ;o)

17. Inspirepub profile image70
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Hup,

I think Darkside is right, the best we can accomplish with Hubs is two postions.

However, if people were to post blog posts about the forum thread, and everyone links to those blog posts from their Hubs on the topic, we can get all the blog posts into the other top positions.

We have a few blogs we can contribute to the effort - and more than a few if the topic is personal finance or business related.

Jenny

1. darkside profile image59
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And while the hubs themselves may not be positioned in the search results, the links to them from the thread does have the opportunity for traffic.

I have no clue what any of this kind of conversation means... however, if the point is to generate hubs, I will certainly try to find some ridiculous and humorous angle on whatever topic you come up with if that will help the cause.

You? Be ridiculous/humorous? Nooooooo.... wink

18. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I'll give it a shot-- Starts Monday? Sept 8th-ish?

19. Marina Rosa profile image62
    Marina Rosaposted 15 years ago

That sounds like lots of fun. Count me in!

20. funride profile image66
    funrideposted 15 years ago

How could I (or any other hubber for that matter) miss all this fun. You´ve got another hubmobster big_smile.

Let the fun begin!!!

21. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

I'm up for a bit of fun. If you'll have me, I'm in. regards Zsuzsy

22. jimmythejock profile image82

can I suggest the first topic as Halloween, as that term will soon be one of the biggest searches on the Internet......jimmy

23. patnamohan profile image58
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

what is happening here!!

24. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

Sounds like fun to me too.

25. compu-smart profile image86
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Yes! im in! smile

26. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

Count me in too! Sounds like it could be a blast!

27. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

WOW! I have been so busy I have missed this topic! Sounds like fun and I'd ove to jump in as I can on it! I'll check out the topic Monday!

Bonnie

28. Marina Rosa profile image62

OK. I am a little slow.

My understanding is that the topic will be posted to this forum (by who? - or is it "by whom?") sometime on Monday and that everyone will write and post Hubs on some angle of the chosen topic (also on Monday).

The part I don't get is what I should link my Hub to - and precisely how to do that (I think I know how, but I'm still pretty new and confuse easily).

29. Marina Rosa profile image62

Shadesbreath - I thought it was just me getting lost! LOL! I thought for sure you were one of those "in the know" hubbers . . .

Someone who IS an "in the know hubber" (itkh?) needs to make a how-to list for us slow ones.

Nope, when it comes to the Internet marketing, Google techniques, SEO and all that rot, I just can't force myself to study it.  I realize to be a true Renaissance Man of the age, I should learn it, and I keep telling myself I will, but every time I start looking into that stuff my artistic side gets horrible gas and I have to leave the room.

30. Inspirepub profile image70

HOW THE HUBMOB WORKS (Ryan feel free to correct any details)

1. Ryan will start a new thread in the Hangout, with the title "HubMob Monday (date) Topic - (Topic Name)". His post will contain the topic name again for those Hubbers who never read thread names.

2. Ryan will copy the URL of his new thread and the URL of the topic tag page, and paste those into his post.

3. Everyone who is playing will make a Hub on that topic, and IN THE HUB they will link to the thread and the tag page URLs provided by Ryan, using the topic name as the name of the link, or the words they are turning into a link.

For example, if we went with Halloween Costumes, every Hub would be related to Halloween costumes, and somewhere in the Hub would be the words "Halloween Costumes" as a link to the forum thread, and the words "Halloween Costumes" as a link to the tag page.

4. Once the Hub is published, the Hubbers will come back to the forum and post the link to their Hub in Ryan's thread, with any commentary about their Hub that might make people want to read it (eg - this Hub has a really funny video on it ....)

5. Any participating Hubbers who have blogs will blog about the HubMob and include the links to the forum thread and the tag page in their blog posts, again with the topic name as the link anchor text.

For example, if we went with Halloween Costumes, somewhere in the blog post would be the words "Halloween Costumes" as a link to the forum thread, and the words "Halloween Costumes" as a link to the tag page.

Ryan, I am happy to make a Hub on this, which includes "How To" sections with visuals about linking, anchor text, starting a blog, and so on, if you think that will help.

Jenny

1. Marina Rosa profile image62
      Marina Rosaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks - This helps. It turns out I was even more lost and confused than I even thought I was. sad
      I will print it up and commit it gratefully to memory - along with the "visuals" on those other things you mentioned.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

Aha!  This is what I needed.  Inspirepub, I owe you a beer!

31. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

Thanks Inspire...that answered the question for me as well.  Sounds like it can get rather messy smile

Count me in...I can't wait to see what all your sick and twisted minds come up with.

32. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years ago

Jenny, that would be a fabulous hub.  Please do.

33. jimmythejock profile image82

I wrote an article on my blog about the "Hub Mob" please let me know your thoughts guys.....jimmy
    http://hubpagesauthor.wordpress.com/

1. Lifebydesign profile image62
      Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

nice and succinct jimmythejock- you captured it well I thought!

34. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

Totally count me in!!  I think it will be a lot of fun!!!!  smile big_smile

35. Lela Davidson profile image79
    Lela Davidsonposted 15 years ago

I like it too! It's always fun to have a good promt.

36. Lela Davidson profile image79
    Lela Davidsonposted 15 years ago

Or prompt.

37. kerryg profile image82
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I mostly missed the HubLove Contest and have been regretting it ever since, so count me in too! Sounds like fun.

Jenny, thanks for that very clear description of what we need to do.

38. B.T. Evilpants profile image62
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years ago

Hey, is this thing open to Jackalopes? I'd love to get in!

39. gwendymom profile image64
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

So glad you spelled that out for me, as B.T. can attest I hit the tequila early  and need direction whenever someone will give it to me. I was also more confused than I thought, and being more confused than normal should be impossible. This is gonna be alot of fun, thta's why I joined Hubpages, to have fun! Thanks guys.

40. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Thanks for explaining all of that Jenny and Jimmy, but I think that we should keep it simple for the first time around, considering that most of us aren't quite to the level of SEO understanding that you guys are. but, I think as we do this more and more, we're all going to become better at linking, SEO and finding the best keywords to write on.

For the first week here is what we will stick to:

1. On Monday I will post a topic that we be 'This week's HubMob topic: Wedding Themes', which will be the theme for everyone to write a new Hub about.

2. The Hub can be based on anything to do with the main topic and I encourage different title names and focuses. For instance, one title could be 'The 10 best wedding themes a bride could ever have' while another one could be 'The worst wedding themes and why you should stay away from them'. I encourage everyone to put your own personal touch on the topic, just make sure that it stays focused on the general keywords.

3. We will all publish our Hubs and then post links to the Hubs that we create back into the new forum topic, along with some commentary such as, 'I wrote about the worst themes because my sister decided to use one of them and it was sooooo ugly...' or something. smile

4. We will then keep an eye on Google and we'll see who ranks for what search terms and we'll see who can get the highest placement. It will be a lot of fun to see who can get ranked where and it will also be a great way to get us all writing on some keywords with some high-traffic potential.

HubMob!!!!!

Hope this helps. smile

41. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Sounds great, I'm up for it smile

Sweeet! Glad you're going to join in on the fun!

42. profile image0
    daflaposted 15 years ago

I'm definitely in!  I love doing insane things that people look at in wonder and a shake of their heads.  Well, I'm too old for doing it in real life now, but I used to do it all the time when I was young.

Brings back my youth...with anonymity!  I love it!

43. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

I'm in!  One way we can all help each other out is to link from our Hubs on the theme to others participating.

If it's wedding themes, I'm going to do how to do a backyard wedding on a budget:)

That would be a great topic to add to 'wedding themes'...looks like Paul is good to go for some HubMob action. smile

44. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

A  question:

Is the idea to make the words "Wedding Themes" key to our hub as a key word or title? Also is their a posting deadline or window?

1. SweetiePie profile image81
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I had the same question.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That was two questions-- but so did I.

2. Ryan Hupfer profile image61

Hey Rochelle,

The topic that we choose doesn't have to be your exact title, but the Hub that you write should be focused around the topic and it would definitely help if you somehow weave it into your Hub title.

So, like I said earlier, you should focus on the main topic, but it shouldn't necessarily be the title of your Hub. So the topic 'wedding themes' could translate into 'How to create a backyard wedding theme on the cheap' or you could have another title such as 'The most popular American wedding themes'. Does this help you out?

Also, as far as time frame goes, we will kick it off on a Monday(first one tomorrow), so you should write it as soon as you can, but there's no super-tight time frame. After we publish our Hubs, we'll keep the main forum thread alive as everyone posts a link to the Hub that they created, which I'm sure will remain active for at least a couple of weeks depending on how many participate in the particular topic.

I'm going to send out the weekly topic in the newsletter on Wednesdays and we can start checking to see who is getting listed where on  Google as soon as we begin getting indexed. This really isn't a formal contest, just something that I thought would be a lot of fun for all of us to participate in and to grow over time. It would be awesome for all of us Hubbers to 'HubMob' different topics one week at a time, don't you think? smile

Indeed! - and I'm all for the informal thing.
        I think an idea is starting to bubble up....
        Thanks.

45. profile image0

Dafla..
    Ryan says that we have to take a walk on the wild side..
    Now, I am not Lou Reed, nor do I play him on t.v. but if I can do it so can you...LOL!

I think though, that if i have to take a walk on the wild side..Ryan should come live at my house for a weekend..and do my job...

and we will see who is walking where.

46. B.T. Evilpants profile image62
    B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years ago

So are we going with wedding themes, or do we have to wait for the official announcement? Sorry. Patience is not a virtue known to exist in Jackalopes.

1. Christoph Reilly profile image69
      Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think that "wedding themes" could possibly be the topic or not, we have to wait till tomorrow to  see for sure, If I'm following this correctly. In the meantime B.T., I don't think popular Jackalope wedding themes has hever been written about, so you might want to ruminate on that in the meantime.

Oh, Hi Everybody! Present and accounted for. I'm in!

\

PRESENT.. and etc. Presents are usually appropriate.

47. crashcromwell profile image67
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

This sounds awesome! I'm more than in, and hope the subject is wedding related. I've got some great stories, and maybe even some pictures, from theme weddings. Could be a really cool hub!

48. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 15 years ago

If wedding themes is the topic, then you can make a hub on anything related to the theme.  For example, Destination wedding ideas, Summer Wedding, or Outdoor Wedding Ideas.  These would all be fair game.

I'm really excited about this.  Like the post in Jimmy's Blog, if we all work together, link to each others hubs (where appropriate), then the community can benefit by all working together.  We are truly stronger together.

49. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but... how does this group activity help the individual hub writers?  It seems like an awesome thing for Hubpages but, how does it pay out for the writers.  (Please don't say "because when hubpages gets more traffic, we all benefit.)

50. Inspirepub profile image70

The individual Hubs in the Mob will have lots of links to them, which will make them show up better in the search results, and we will lure visitors to HubPages specifically to read those articles, because we will show up multiple times on the first page of Google results.

More readers = more clicks on ads.

I hope Ryan checks the Google external keyword tool and Spyfu.com to make sure he is picking topics which have good, expensive clicks attached - no point all of us making this huge effort just to get 5c per click traffic on board ... let's go for the BIG BUCKS .... smile

Jenny

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)