I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. My grandfather passed away.

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (40 posts)
  1. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

I just wanted to leave a note for my HubPages friends.  Some of you may remember a comment or two where I posted about my grandfather.  He passed away on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.  I received a call early in the morning.  My aunt called and said my grandfather was asking for me.   I drove with my son to see him (he was home from school because he just had tonsil surgery a few days before), and we got to hold his hand and be there when he took his last breath.   Many of you know my son has Autism.  He held his Papa's hand so courageously.  He felt closure from the experience. 

The funeral was today.  So many people came out to pay respects.  I haven't been able to get on here in a while and just wanted to let everyone know that my grandfather (truly my father as he adopted me) was at peace when he passed.  He had suffered for two years with pancreatic cancer.

1. DreamerMeg profile image80
      DreamerMegposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry to hear your sad news but you must have been happy that you and your son were there for his passing.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So sorry to hear of your loss!

3. MsDora profile image94
      MsDoraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crafty, please accept my sincere sympathy.  May the happy memories of life with your grandfather bring comforting smiles to your heart, and a sweet peace to your soul..

4. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crafty, I know how much you loved your 'Dad'.  I'm so sorry you've lost him, but please find solace knowing he's no longer in pain and look down on you and your family with joy.

5. Mel Carriere profile image86
      Mel Carriereposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So sorry for your loss, friend. It was good you were there at his side because when my grandparents passed I was unable to be.

6. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry to hear this news.

7. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deeply sorry for your loss Crafty, glad he was at peace and your son had closure.

8. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So sorry for your lose and very pleased you made it in time to say your goodbyes.

9. HeatherH104 profile image78
      HeatherH104posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crafty, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is beautiful that you and your son could be there.
      Hugs my friend!
      Heather

10. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crafty, I am so sorry for your loss, but am glad you and your son were there for Grandpa at the end. Gods bless!

11. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss.  My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

12. FlourishAnyway profile image94
      FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crafty, I am so sorry for your family's loss.  I have been thinking about you.  I suspected he may have been towards the end, with you not on HP.  We have missed hearing from you but are so glad that you and your son were able to be with your grandfather as he slipped from this world.  He knew that you loved him immensely, and he loved you as well.  He was an awesome man.  I recall what you wrote about him.  Peace and blessings to you and your family, sweetie.

13. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My condolences to you and your family, Crafty. Blessings to you for healing and comfort.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Sorry to hear that. It is a shame that you did not even get to have a last Thanksgivng with him. Did your family have a turkey dinner, even if you all would have been sad?

3. kidscrafts profile image74
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss, Crafty!  I am glad that you were able to see him before he passed away.  I am sure that he was probably more at peace to be surrounded by his close family.  It's good that your son was able to take in this experience.  Take good care of yourself!

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

It is so hard to lose a loved one at any time, but around the holidays it is even more difficult, for a holiday gathering and the memories are so very special to all. His spirit was with you during Thanksgiving and was happy to see you all together with family traditions. I am so sorry you lost your dear grandfather. Please take comfort in that the love is still there, which will be a major part of the healing.

5. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 10 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss, Crafty. I'm glad that you and your son were there with your grandfather. Your son is brave as well as kind. My thoughts are with you both.

1. profile image0
      Scott P Williamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for your loss. I work in a cancer center. So, I can imagine what it was like. Im glad you both had a chance to say goodbye. I wish the best for both of you.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

My deepest condolences to you and your family.
    Such a loss is never easy, and is doubly difficult during the holiday season.
    You will miss him forever, but be happy he is no longer suffering.  May you find peace in happy memories.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Im sorry Crafty.

8. wetnosedogs profile image60
    wetnosedogsposted 10 years ago

I am sorry to hear this. At least you and your son got to be with him.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I lost my own father this year too, so I understand what you are going through.
    My deepest condolences.
    Things will get better although it may not seem like it just now.
    You will be able to enjoy Thanksgivings in future years, because it will be a time when you will remember all the good things about him, maybe shed some tears too.

10. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

Dear Crafty,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I remember you sharing about him in a special hub, where your love for him was obvious.  Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers during this time of loss.  God bless you.  In His Love, Faith Reaper

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Sorry for your painful loss, Crafty. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your son, and your entire family. One day at a time, may God's peace console you and your grandfather's spirit remain with you always.

12. profile image0
    lambservantposted 10 years ago

I am so terribly sorry for your loss Crafty. May the God of all comfort do just that for you and your family.

13. Bishop55 profile image89
    Bishop55posted 10 years ago

I know I don't know you, but I'm very sorry for your loss.

14. patricia_bruce profile image79
    patricia_bruceposted 10 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  It sounds like he went peacefully, and what an honor to be there with him when he went home.  I pray for God's blessings to comfort and see you through this very sad time.

15. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Thinking of you. smile

16. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

My sincere simphathy for your loss.

17. erorantes profile image49

My sincere simphathy for your loss.

18. erorantes profile image49

My sincere sympathy for the loss of your grandfather. I pray that he rest in peace with the others that pass away the same day he did. God loves you,and God loves him too.My blessing for you.

19. bernard.sinai profile image80
    bernard.sinaiposted 10 years ago

Truly sorry for your loss

1. DDE profile image47
      DDEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My deepest condolences  for the loss of such a wonderful person in your life.

20. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 10 years ago

Sorry to hear the sad news! My deepest condolences to you and your family!

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My deepest condolences for your loss  - one day at a time!

21. rohanfelix profile image82
    rohanfelixposted 10 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that! I assure my prayers for you and your family... Thanks for letting us know... We are with you in spirit, if not physically.

22. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

You all are amazing!  Thank you so much!

Last week was very difficult.  I helped with cleaning out the remainder of his personal belongings.  He had saved things from when I was a child like my first piano recital announcement. 

I'm slowly getting back in to the swing of things here, and coming back to HP with this huge support from all of you really makes my day. 

I have a lot of catching up to do!  Thank you all for your tremendous support.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome I am glad that we could help you.

23. kidscrafts profile image74
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

Take time to take care of yourself!  It's important!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)