How many are happy just to write and not make money?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (51 posts)
  1. kennynext profile image76
    kennynextposted 13 years ago

I have been on hubpages almost two months and I just enjoy writing. Is there others here who just want to write and are not concerned about the money?

1. GarfieldGates profile image78
      GarfieldGatesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Judging from the answers left on a HubPages Answers question similar to yours, a striking majority of people here write because they like it rather than for money.

I on the other hand am only here for the money.  Fancy that.

2. profile image0
      Cousin Fuddposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy the writing and reading what others have written.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

both, but more on writing.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I just wanted to write I would have my own blog with no advertisements to distract the reader and take them off the page.

5. Stimp profile image60
      Stimpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup, me.  I come here to write, if I feel like it.  Or, to just hang in the forums and relax and meet new virtual beings.

6. themist profile image60
      themistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm starting to enjoy writing, I came in just to make money. Then realised I'm not actually a great writer. Now I've found that by writing, I can improve my life by keeping a blog and writing down what I learn everyday in the form of a hub to help other people, and at the same time I'll be able to write about my interests!

Loving it.

7. bileygur profile image61
      bileygurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That it good policy not to worry about making money of your hubs and you can seen many that are thinking the same way and spend ours on wikipedia, updating it and bringing us knowledge. I thank them every time I find some thing useful there.

The good thing about place like hubpages, is that are the best of both.  If you are good writer and have great content you can earn extra cash doing what you love.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
        Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find myself agreeing with everything you said I didn't come here to make money but I did have a purpose in joining.

I enjoy writing and have written three Murder Mystery novels which seem to be a nation secret so I joinrd Hub Pages to help spread the word.

Since joining I found the place a lot more exciting full of interesting people who also enjoy writing and I am picking up some new friends.

I haven't bothered too much about the making money side of things, I've stuck a few links in position but a bit more hit and hope than skill. 

So far I haven't been tempted to write something just to sell something.... Well except my books of course !

8. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Both I would like to create passive income, but I have always enjoyed writing...

9. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like to write to express ideas and knowledge.  I have written plenty of Hubs, unfortunately not read by many... a few years back there was a lot more activity, a lot more interaction, which was what I liked about Hubpages.

That is what I seek the most from my time here, articulate counter arguments to points that I make on the political posts, or additional information that could be of interest on the non-political issues. 

No sound ideas, political or otherwise, have any real worth unless they can stand up to opposition and counter arguments.

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

Honestly I never thought I would enjoy writing but I gave it a shot and turns out I love it and I love voicing my opinion. I have been here for five months and I have not cared about the money because I knew coming into it that it would be almost non existent. However it does add a plus to the whole experience. Some people make very good money here and have made it their sole income.

kennynextposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never really wrote much before, just some essays in College, now i enjoy the writing.

3. nlowman profile image60
    nlowmanposted 13 years ago

I never thought I would make any money, and I haven't so far. Two years ago, I joined to read my friend's hubs, and my account did nothing until the end of May 2010. That's when I began publishing hubs and interacting. Money would be a nice bonus, but I'm a writing nerd either way.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'm here to write.  Period.  If I make any money it'd be a bonus, really.  Of course, I realize what I write isn't designed to make money on HubPages, so if I ever do make money from writing it'll be from somewhere else...like book sales, magazine articles or something like that.

5. mysterylady 89 profile image60
    mysterylady 89posted 13 years ago

I joined HubPages without any thought of ever making money.  I just thought it would be fun to try my hand at some humor.  Just the other day I was contacted by Adsense and signed up.  If I end up making a few bucks, great!  But I don't expect to make a dime.

6. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I joined HP to write and had decided that the money would be a bonus.  Thank goodness I had that attitude coming in or I wouldn't still be here!  lol  I love to write -- whether there is money in it or not.  smile

7. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Since I make my income online I write purely for the money. smile

8. Info Bucket profile image63
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

I want both.

9. wytegarillaz profile image60
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

I want to make money online from here and a few diferent ways, however I like to help others and if I can do that even in some small way that will be a bonus as well as enjoying what I am doing.

10. lisabeaman profile image69
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

I've been what I would call a "writer wannabe" for a long time. I've written quite a few things that have been published here or there, but I've never been paid for any of it. I joined hubpages because I decided it was time to start making money from what I love to do. I am a little torn between the art of it and the money making aspect of it though. So... I've conceeded to write what I want to write and take the first few months on hubpages to learn about this whole new world of SEO and adsense and amazon. Once I get it all figured out, I'm hoping it will pay off. So I suppose my answer to you question is yes, I'm happy just to write and not make money, but I don't want to not make money forever.

11. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I would be if I had any other source of income. Not that I've even had a payout from here yet. But I'd like to be a full time writer in any capacity so I'm using hubpages as a basis for that.

12. Rimzim profile image58
    Rimzimposted 13 years ago

I joined hubpages for money but now I enjoy writing too.

13. snagerries profile image68
    snagerriesposted 13 years ago

I have joined hubpages just to share my knowledge with others and also I have a passion for writing. Strangely for me, I got so many visitors in just 2-3 days of writing hubs.

14. Fluffymetal profile image75
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

I just enjoy writing... the money is just a bonus.

15. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

There is value in being heard. So, money or not, it's nice to get a laugh out of the stuff I can't help but write anyway.  The money does pay for beer now though, so that was a pleasant surprise.

16. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Both. Though my origins here had nothing to do with money. I write (now) more to earn but I do still slip the odd 'written for pleasure' hub in.

The fact is the money I now earn on here means I can just about afford a home for the first time in two and a half years. Not to be sniffed at. And nothing I'm giving up any time soon - I've worked hard for it smile

17. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I'd say the writing became my main goal - just to do it and keep doing it; then the little added bonus of money and I can put it away for something I really want, like a new vehicle to urban mush with or whatever my heart desires!

I think it is just wonderful to be able to write though at times it can be discouraging if you don't see much traffic.  Like all things though in life that are worth doing, it takes time and effort before you see results.  The key is not to give up!

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well, I joined only to make money. I was searching the web for money making opportunities when I stumbled upon Hubpages. It looked right up my street as I love writing, at least much more than filling out surveys!
    I knew from the start that the money would be slow trickling in, and so I honestly say that most of what I have written so far has been for the love of writing.
    But I'm learning SEO and beginning to see how writing about something I am not passionate about could pay off. Like any job, we don't always get the jobs we like. I've got a few hubs in the pipeline now that I hate, but at the end of the day they should pay the bills. I can always slip some 'for fun' hubs in between.

19. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

It takes as much talent to write a great article as it does a great story.  Both have to be creative and unique to draw attention.  If someone wishes to write either or both....HubPages is one of the best sites to learn from.
    I love to make money...but if I only make a little...I still smile while I write.

20. Inner Harmony profile image60
    Inner Harmonyposted 13 years ago

Hello!

I write only put my feelings on "paper".  If someone forced me to take a paycheck, let's just say I wouldn't fight much smile

But this is not my income source, just my outlet.

Just wanted to pop in - fairly new member here (2 mos) and have really enjoyed the site.  There is so much creativity here.

Cindy

Hi. I just started writing and realized I like it. Maybe someday I'll get better at it.

21. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

I love writing and I love writing hubs. It would be nice if I could make some money from them and I have joined Amazon and AdSense for this, but that is not my main goal. I just want to write and share my thoughts and knowledge with other people.

Lena

22. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

I'm also fairly new to hubpages (2 months) and am here for the writing.  Love to get feedback (open to any) so, for those who haven't read my work, feel free to drop in.  But, if I get any cash along the way, I won't turn it down.  Heck, it would be my first actual payment for my submissions, LOL

23. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

Writing and being read is the motivation.  I doubt one could make much money on Hubs - or most other sites of this kind for that matter - simply because there is so much competition and so few people really interesting in clicking onto those advertisements.   Of course, if you find the responses to your Hub material absolutely outstanding compared with the majority; I don't know what the yardstick is, but let us say 10,000 hits a month, then maybe it's time to think 'money.'   Up until that time, forget it...

24. confusedgee profile image59
    confusedgeeposted 13 years ago

I joined hubpages to make money too but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen so its okay that I don't make any money. My fondness of writing grows more and more everyday.

25. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Honestly, I am not a big fan of writing these little articles. Joined to make money. smile

Though I want to publish a book and am in the process of authoring it. I have never written a hub on any kind of subject related to the book.

To those who are here just for the sake of writing, have you ever tried getting published in a magazine or a local newspaper etc?

26. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

to Ultimate Hubber- I actually took an online writing class re: how to write mag articles, but NO, in answer to your question. Pathetic, isn't it, LOL. Lot's of ideas and interest, but little in confidence or energy to write those query letters...sigh.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!
      I am sure you'll find the required energy and confidence as soon as your desire to write in magazines peaks! smile

27. cupid51 profile image69
    cupid51posted 13 years ago

I enjoy writing and reading in HP. But I also wish to get some money from my writing which I have not yet succeeded! mad

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your hubs really are good. What I found missing was keyword research. By keyword research I do not mean that you look for the keywords that are searched 20,00,000 times in a month. Keywords have to be a combination frequency and competition. Best of luck for money making on HP!

1. cupid51 profile image69
        cupid51posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Ultimate Hubber for examining my hubs and giving a really nice suggestion! I also know my weakness but as you know it is not easy to be en expert on keyword research! I don't want to spend money on keyword research tools till I become sure of getting return!

Thanks again for the suggestion! smile

28. jiberish profile image78
    jiberishposted 13 years ago

You mean you can make money on Hubpages? smile

29. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

Money isn't essential to me.  What matters to me is sharing my work and becoming a better writer for it.  Also there is a lot of great hubbers on here to learn from which is an added bonus.  This is my new home.

30. ofmelancholy profile image60
    ofmelancholyposted 13 years ago

doubtful about if ı want it but the fact is already that

31. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I just love to write. That's it. If I end up making some $$ that will be terrific, but its the writing and photographing and making little videos that is so much fun.  It's also great fun to meet people on the forums and talk and laugh.  Sharing is where its at!  and I am so proud of my 10,000 views and my 100 it really doesn't matter much about the money.

32. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When I was "new" I just came to have a way to write what I feel like writing, because I'd been doing a lot of writing stuff (for other people) that I didn't particularly "feel like writing".  At the time, I didn't really take the possibility of earning very seriously, so I just had a great time, entertaining myself by writing (often enjoying just looking for questions, then called, "requests", and challenging myself to see with what I could come up with).  I didn't bother with keywords, and I didn't know the difference the right kind of title could make.

300 and however many Hubs later, I'm earning enough to pay some bills ever month, and that's been for quite awhile now.  I now see, though, that if I'd just paid a little attention to the right kind of title and keywords, I'd be earning a whole lot more right now.  No doubt about it.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have thrown in some decent keywords and written titles that weren't as much about (as someone from HubPages described it, I think) "a clever turn of a phrase" (as with a print publication) and were, instead, aimed at search engines.

What I always wish "new" people would know is that they can write what they want and they don't have to spend a lot of time becoming SEO experts in order to earn over time, but just doing those two simple things of paying a little attention to the right keywords and creating the right kind of title can make the difference between picking up some real earnings and not earning much (if anything).  I should mention, though, that I don't write fiction or poetry, so I don't have a clue about how creative writing would earn even if people used the right keywords and created a search-engine-friendly title.

Although some of that writing and research I do for other people doesn't involve needing keywords or even being the one to create the title, I've written plenty of articles for others who want them for their own website.  I'm NO SEO person (whatsoever!), but I know how to use keywords if I want to give them a thought or two.   If I could back and "be new" again, I would have done at least that much, but, as I said, I didn't believe there was the possibility of earning anything and just "did my own thing". 

So, today, I settle for that few hundred dollars a month because tweaking all those Hubs would be a very un-writing-like project that I don't have the time or inclination to tackle.  Why now start now doing things differently?  Because I now have some kind of "psychological block" that has "established" that all my stuff on HubPages is "fun stuff" , and it's presence would make new and different approaches (at least in my mind) "confuse the matter" of what category of writing I have on here.  Why not start new, and have a different approach under a different name (while leaving what I have up)?  Because I've already built up whatever I've built up on here (for whatever it's worth), and I hate splitting up "hobby writing" into two different categories of "hobby writing" on the same site. 

In any case, I can figure out a way to do something about the fact that I'm not earning what I could be earning; but I really wish I knew then what I know - and I wouldn't have the mess on my hands that I have today (or the "sense of waste" that I have, seeing what I do earn and what I could potentially earn, had I started out just knowing there really was a way to write what I wanted to write and earn).   The choice between writing what you love to write and writing what will earn something isn't an either/or thing.  The difference with some (at least non-fiction) Hubs and others may be that it takes more of some than others to earn over time, or that some may only earn a little each month.  Still, 500 or 1000 low-earners add up each month.

In my two-plus years, I haven't written all that regularly at all, and two years sounds like a long time.  Still, time flies and Hubs can add up (more and faster when someone writes regularly).  With a few hundred dollars a month, I'm glad I stuck around; but it is unfortunate I didn't believe earning anything at all was very likely when I started.  (It's not as if I couldn't use more income.)

33. iantoPF profile image80
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

I haven't been interested in making money with my writing and I must say that so far I have been extremely successful at not making money. I pay scant attention to keywords and don't do enough promotion, I just write about the things that interest me and I"m my biggest fan. Really, I enjoy reading the stuff I've written.
    But this is because there's no pressure on me to make money from writing so I can just relax with it. I appreciate that for many, writing is the hope and dream of a substantial income and the opportunity for a better life. I wish you well and hope for your success. Here on Hubpages we can shake hands and become friends in a community of wordsmiths.
    Brightest Blessings all.

If you write for enjoyment, it always seems to be better.

34. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

I write for the joy of it, but am not opposed to making money in the process. If it's still fun to write, and it also makes money, so much the better.

The problem with paying jobs that are not fun is that they take away from our time to write. So, if we can also make money when writing, it can be a time-saver and a life saver, because all there really is in life is time. Time to do what we want.

35. Timmy(B) profile image60
    Timmy(B)posted 13 years ago

I write because it is good fun but the money does give you a little buzz?! Let's face it very few people are going to be getting seriously rich from adsense etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)