The Hub Challenge: 100 Hubs in 30 Days -- are you in?

Jump to Last Post 351-400 of 684 discussions (1064 posts)
  1. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 15 years ago
  2. BundleBoy profile image71
    BundleBoyposted 15 years ago

I am in. (Oh no what am I doing?). Well if this will help me break out of my comfort zone! 30 in 29 days for me!

3. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

1st 24 hour assessment of this challenge:

Published four hubs in the first 24 hours.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Defending-The-Kingdom
    http://hubpages.com/hub/When-It-Is-Too-Much
    http://hubpages.com/hub/French-Quarter-Libations
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Madame-Butterflys-Pets

Total combined true writing time for these hubs -- 8 hours and 10 minutes

Total combined word count:  4,732

Random thoughts as I did this:

Ended up staggering the release times of publishing these hubs over 24 hours, due to noticing that my own email alerts were slightly overwhelming -- didn't want to burden my own loyal fans by too rapidly publishing them -- never want to lose them.

Writing and maintaining quality seemed to be not a problem.  Reading the sheer number hubs of other hubbers a little more of a challenge, but necessary in fairness of the challenge. 

Didn't quite get the point of writing a hub about the hub challenge, as it doesn't fit my personal definition of "evergreen" material -- but did enjoy reading what others wrote about why they were doing so.  Thought that more appropriate for forum?  Hope no one is taking offense to that thought.  Maybe I'm wrong?

4. profile image0
    ysdataposted 15 years ago

Check out the Video - Diary of a Mad Hubber (Day -2) in the challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO2e32Sp4b8

5. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Great start, Jerilee!

I think that a lot of Hubbers posted their first Hub on the Hub Challenge itself as a way to kick the whole thing off and to get them in the groove.And like you said, although they probably won't be big money makers, they were all a great read.

How's everyone else doing so far? smile

6. Iya Ifalola profile image61
    Iya Ifalolaposted 15 years ago

A day late and a dollar short, I'm still game.  Count me in for 100.  Don't need an anonymous accout - lol - been here for a while but am now finally biting the bullet.

7. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

Thanks Ryan -- In thinking over what you said about "hubs about the hub challenge," I think you are right.  I once had a conversation with author Louis L'Amour, who advised that if you want to be a writer -- you just need to jump in there and write, and then write some more, and some more -- till you can write no more (which is hopefully the rest of your life).

I think my mindset was stuck on my personal daily list of questions I ask myself when I decide on a hub topic:

Will this be something that people will be interested in if they read it a year from now, or years from now? 

If the answer is no, then I rethink the hub, and see if I can fit in something evergreen that relates to the subject matter, if that makes sense.  There are times however, no matter, if the answer is still "no" -- that I throw that reasoning out and just write it anyway.

8. Moonmaiden profile image68
    Moonmaidenposted 15 years ago

I feel like I may be at a disadvantage. I'm writing 100 Hubs from scratch, but I see there are a few people that have a bunch of unfinished Hubs they've already researched and have half-written. All they have to do is polish them and hit publish.

1. ForTheInterim profile image65
      ForTheInterimposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I most certainly am starting from scratch as well!! I'm a bit at a loss for how to come up with topics.  I have a little notepad file open so every time a topic comes to mind I can jot it down quickly, and later on return to it when I need ideas.

I find it's hard to write about things unless I know *a lot* about them... Many here seem to call themselves writers and have lots of experience.  I've never thought of myself in that way - in fact I only remember myself saying I hate English class and I hate writing!! Though I do believe this is different, and I do enjoy hubbing!

2. mythbuster profile image73
      mythbusterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A few days before the contest started, I thought about this business of 'unfinished' hubs being used for the contest, too, Moonmaiden.

I am going to participate in the 30 hubs in 30 days category and before the contest, I decided that I should only start 'unfinished hubs' on or after May 11 to be published within a day or two for the contest. I figured, for myself, planning hubs on scratch-paper but not starting them on-site in any way before May 11 was sufficient and fair for this contest. For me, hoarding up on 'unfinished hubs' in order to post content for the contest seemed like cheating.

Thus - I am only working on hub 4 so far

9. Cathy I profile image67
    Cathy Iposted 15 years ago

Count me in.....

FYI:    30 in 30

That should certainly get me to start writing again

Cathy

10. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

Hey Moonmaiden!

I've got some hub requests that I've set up the URL for but not written/researched anything on, and I intend to fill those for the Challenge, but 25 of my 30 are going to be fresh hub ideas.  I think the point, from my perspective, is to publish fresh and quality work consistantly for a chunk of time and monitor the results.  For me, it's working alright thus far with my first hub of the challenge. smile

11. stendek profile image57
    stendekposted 15 years ago

I love to produce Hub pages. Hope they bring a smile or two or make a few folks put their thinking caps on (my conspiracy and UFO pages especially). Have not made a penny off of any of them to date but who cares? Having a world of fun every day. By the way. In case I forgot to mention it. COUNT ME IN! I would appreciate any Hubber that does not know me to become acquainted through information on my profile page. Thanks again. Sure could use some friends and help in proven areas to generate income for family. Oh well. Guess feds will get around to bailout for povery stricken Americans one day. NOT! Peace everyone.

12. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Well I'm doing ok, but my plan went straight outta the window with me doing 10 hubpages each in 10 separate topics...oh well just keep plodding on...have written 9 hubpages so far and I have lots of how to draw this and that hubpages coming up!!!

Piece a cake!!!

13. meghansmummy profile image60
    meghansmummyposted 15 years ago

so if we miss a day can we do 2 the next cause so of us have lives hehe

14. muyuth4export profile image61
    muyuth4exportposted 15 years ago

i will try but it is definitely going to be a real task having a hundred hubs in 30 days.Count me in!

15. Hup Challenge profile image68
    Hup Challengeposted 15 years ago

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1109473_f248.jpg

Low-Fat and Healthy Peanut Butter Alternative

#2 is published and I think that I'm hitting my stride -- I'd like to get 4 more done today!

(this is my new account, by the way). smile

16. dwilliamson profile image60
  17. Rockwell Fitness profile image59
    Rockwell Fitnessposted 15 years ago

Ok here are 3 more hubs for Day 2..

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-GI-Joe-Characters
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-GI-Joe-Heroes
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-GI-Joe-Villains-COBRA

That's #8,9,10....Only 90 more to go.... WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

18. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/1109525.gif

The Challenge is under way, If you are taking part Ryan will be contacting you in the next few days for your picture posing for the fight.
    WHO WILL BE THE WINNER
    WHO REALLY CARES
    It's all for fun
    good luck everyone.....jimmy

1. Hup Challenge profile image68
      Hup Challengeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

haha...awesome.

I'll be making these for some of our more hard-working HubChallengers. smile

19. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 15 years ago

Great going guys! I believe in you! Hear are my words.

Love,

lxxy

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009/05/11-1556083902T.gif

20. Reg Brittain profile image59
    Reg Brittainposted 15 years ago

Wow!  500 total HubChallenge hubs already!

(I've done 2 so far.)

Go us!

w00t!

21. dwilliamson profile image60
  22. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 15 years ago

Starting my third -- watch out now!

I just need to get to double digits and I'll feel better. haha

See you all soon!

23. Reg Brittain profile image59

3 down, and I went shopping today.  LOL.

2 more -- guitar-related -- tonight.

Have fun everyone!

1. Be Successful profile image40
      Be Successfulposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe I now have six done! Wow - how many days does it take to develop a habit?  7 right?

latest one was http://hubpages.com/hub/Holocaust-Survi … ir-Stories  - it is on a fantastic book I have just finished reading.

Good luck everyone

Gnight

Rach

24. Jerry G2 profile image92
    Jerry G2posted 15 years ago

I'm in for 30 in 30 days.  I love the idea of 100, but considering I'm in the middle of moving and still freelancing full time, that might be a wee bit much.  Then again, my June looks pretty open so maybe I'll just have my own personal 100 hubs challenge then smile.  Good luck all!

Yeah, Jerry! Glad that you're in for 30 in 30!

Be sure to follow these 3 easy instructions as you move along the 30 days and be sure to keep us updated in here as you progress:

2. mythbuster profile image73
      mythbusterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hope your moving works out for the best, Jerry G2 - I just moved, myself, and am still unpacking (yuck).

Good luck in the contest - I'm up for 30 in 30, too

25. Hup Challenge profile image68
  26. Rockwell Fitness profile image59

Ok here's #11/100 ...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Star-Wars-Characters

My internet connection is trippin' .... Killing the momentum

Good luck all, keep up the hard work..

Double digits -- yeah!!

27. profile image0
    coffeesnobposted 15 years ago

Well, I wasn't going to do this, but I think I will - I know it's Tuesday, But i think i can catch up. Gonna do the 30 days

1. Single Mama profile image66
      Single Mamaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yeah, me too. i'm going to shoot for 30 as well.

2. Hup Challenge profile image68

You can definitely catch up -- or just do 30 days from today. Either way works...

Also, here's my fourth and my fifth is way too long, by coming soon:

http://hubpages.com/hub/4x6-Envelopes-F … -Postcards

28. dwilliamson profile image60
  29. dwilliamson profile image60
  30. dwilliamson profile image60

My stats for today -

posted 5 hubs
    hubscore is 90
    177 hits
    69 cents in Adsense

31. Hup Challenge profile image68

Already ranked and getting great Google search traffic for this Hub Challenge Hub:

http://www.hupandsteph.com/Jing/2009-05-12_2241.png

Any other Hub Challenge success stories?

1. Reg Brittain profile image59
      Reg Brittainposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryan,

Fast climb!  Cool!  How'd you get Google to see it so fast?

Thank you,
      Reg

Reg -- I didn't do anything actually..well, besides doing some keyword research and writing a completely original, helpful and informative Hub.

No tricks up my sleeves here, my man. smile

Of course, this helps, too. smile

1. Reg Brittain profile image59

Impressive word count, and something to consider.

I am keyword targeting to one keyword phrase, but the challenge hubs I've done so far have all been around 400 or 500 words.

Thank you, Ryan.

--Reg

32. Rockwell Fitness profile image59

Dude -- you are rockin' it out!!!

I'm just trying to keep pace...keep it up!

33. ForTheInterim profile image65
    ForTheInterimposted 15 years ago

Alright I finished two yesterday -

#1  http://hubpages.com/hub/Lets-learn-more … Montenegro
    #2  http://hubpages.com/hub/Teach-yourself- … h-Language

I'm now on my second cup of tea for the tea, and am all set for a full day of Hub writing!    I must say the community drive with this challenge makes all the difference for me. I'm still maintaining the same quality checks I would have otherwise - but now at least I'm spending my days writing Hubs instead of other unproductive time wasters!

Way to go! There two are great starts...are you planning on doing 30 or 100 Hubs in 30 days? I'm shooting for 100, but I really need to pick it up. Hitting my stride though now that it's the 3rd day (at least that's what I'm telling myself).

34. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

I'm feeling very discouraged today. I've done eight hubs and I have two more "in the works" but I'm beginning to feel uninspired (already). A bit frustrated that some people are upset about me sharing my *personal* experiences in my hubs, because that's just kind of who I am. Never had a problem with it before. I feel quite limited now and wondering if I can actually do this sad

1. Sakari profile image60
      Sakariposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't be discouraged. It's all about being who you are, no matter how cheesy this may sound. Good luck! smile

2. Hup Challenge profile image68

Ahhh, the ol' 3rd day struggles...seen it before. smile

Don't worry about what people are saying about your Hubs, they're yours, not theirs...

Also, keep in mind that sometimes getting others to think outside of their normal mindset is a great attribute to have as a writer. If great writers tried to keep everyone happy, then we wouldn't even know who they were today.

3. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Everyday Miracles, I haven't had much time to read forums or your hubs so I'm not sure what your referring to, but you just keep on keepin' on. Your continued high hubscores speak for themselves.

For me this challenge is to force myself to work through the feelings of discouragement. To be more disciplined and to achieve more. So use the shared group committment to work through what's held you back in the past and move beyond. Anyways that's what I'm using the HubChallenge for.

4. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Hup! I just wanted to bring up that issue that was starting with so many similar threads of the SAME thing. I think this is the best place for HubChallenge questions and concerns.

By writing so much in a short period, one can easily get burnt out and discouraged. Remember this is what we were talking about the other day. :-) It's fine to add your personal stories, but remember that people doing searches are going to be searching for evergreen not necessarily someone else's experience, unless you include tips and such at how to solve a problem. For example, I wouldn't expect people to search for me playing fetch with my dog, unless within that hub I was also teaching others how to train their dog to play fetch and include all the troubleshooting involved. It can be good to go out of the box.

5. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Who intimidated you? I'll beat them up :-)I love your personal hubs - we are miles apart in lifestyle and beliefs but I really like your style and your ability to "take the way less travelled".  They are your hubs - write what you want - let the naysayers go be miserable in their own little corner - or even write their own hubs LOL

35. Everyday Miracles profile image84

Thanks smile It's easiest, for sure, to write about those things you have experience with. I wouldn't be able to write about dogs like Whitney does, for example, or about... Hmm... Heck, I can't think of another good example right now lol

Is it really a third day thing? When I quit smoking, I found it easier after the third day lol I wish this was like that.

I'm not struggling to come up with topics, just to figure out how to write them. I already feel as though I've written everything I know and am resorting to things I *don't* know. I'm doing researched hubs, too. Amityville took me almost four hours to write, and Lincoln has been in the works for five days now.

Think I should tackle Lizzie Borden?

Nelle, I think that we can "prove" something to ourselves. My hubs have (mostly) been at least 800 (more like 1000) words long. If I can somehow manage to keep that up, there is no question that I can write a book. That's my take on the challenge.

I've always been a quitter (and apparently an honest one! LOL). I am a happy person, but have for so long lacked self-confidence that I'm still building it back. This is one of those things that I hope helps to build it, if that makes sense.

If I can do this, I might put in some audition time in a local theatre and see what happens. As long as DH can look after Dinky while I do rehearsals, I'm good to go... Gosh, the thought brings tears to my eyes! LOL

Right. I understand what you're saying, and I'm not "writing a diary" so to speak. I'm going to eventually be setting up my own space to do that. The hub in question (Why I choose to be a submissive wife) actually included a fair bit of keyword research to decide if it was worth doing and would interest people using search engines. I don't expect it to rank especially well, but I'll be interested to see if it gets any search engine traffic.

The point wasn't "hey, look at me!" but "this is why I choose this and no, I'm not alone." I think that some people (not just one person) took the hub out of context and I've been getting increasingly frustrated that people are reading words I didn't write into the hub. I hope that makes sense. It *is* one I'm going to need to work on when this entire thing is over, and expand. Darned thing is going to near 5000 words I bet before it's done *sigh*. I might need to counter my own hub with another hub lol

36. Everyday Miracles profile image84

LOL Lissie! It was lindagoffigan's comment on Why I choose to be a submissive wife. First comment that has really gotten under my skin. I'm not angry, not hurt, I'm irritated, and that is one emotion that can put me at an absolute standstill. The others can drive me to write more. This one... Makes me try to figure out where I went wrong, because I'm just weird like that.

It's a topic about which I could (should?) write a book. Being submissive doesn't make me "clingy." Since I actually took the plunge and started *doing* it (rather than wishing I could do it), I'm much more secure and find it easier to let him do his own thing. He's going to Chicago this weekend, even! Without me! LOL

37. trish1048 profile image67
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

While this sounds exciting, I am not up for insanity.  I'm lucky if I put one hub a week out smile

38. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 15 years ago

I'm going to try my best and do 30. That in itself will be an achievement for me.

39. profile image0
    ysdataposted 15 years ago

We all can post 1 hub a day -- watch day 3 entry of the "Diary of a Mad Hubber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJ20_rg1QY

40. Hup Challenge profile image68

I'm writing a real doozy right now...wow, it's SUPER long.

Here's just the research that I did for it:

No way can I do 100 of these, but this is a Hub that I've always wanted to write, so why not? smile

1. profile image0
      ysdataposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ryan -- watch day 3 entry of the "Diary of a Mad Hubber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJ20_rg1QY

41. Everyday Miracles profile image84

Hup, one of mine yesterday was over 2000 words!

Yeah, a few of mine are creeping up there -- this one is going to be double that, I bet. Here's just the research I did for it:

42. dwilliamson profile image60
  43. Everyday Miracles profile image84

I'm still struggling to figure out the "keyword research" stuff, darnit! I can't seem to come up with anything that I figure is going to get me hits AND pays decently. I must be doing something wrong, so I figure I need to stop doing something that discourages me and just stinkin' write already!

44. Rockwell Fitness profile image59
  45. rancidTaste profile image64
    rancidTasteposted 15 years ago

Oh My God!! All the guys are so fast....!!

I just published one hubpages. You may visit by following the following link:

http://hubpages.com/_rat/hub/HubChallenge-tips

This hub is about A Complete Tips Guide to Success in HubChallenge and Drive Hub Traffic through Google and Hubpages

This is my 100th Hub [I start counting from the last and advancing to the lowest no.... I do it as my own inspiration]

smile Enjoy

46. dwilliamson profile image60
  47. Rockwell Fitness profile image59

ANother one done...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Water-Intake

48. Hup Challenge profile image68

Oh my goodness...this one is long, but I am SO proud that I actually finished it. I have wanted to write a Hub like this for a while.

Word Count: 4792

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1111203_f248.jpg

Upper Body Workout Plan With Easy To Understand Images & Videos

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just checked out that book of yours.. I see a few places where you could have split into different hubs, but for nearly 5000 words, it didn't seem that long.

2. Rockwell Fitness profile image59
      Rockwell Fitnessposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Alot of good content.... I could respond to this in about 5 to 10 hubs, since my hubs will never be over 4700 words...

3. Reg Brittain profile image59

It is very cool!  I like all the images you use, Ryan.

What is your stock image source(s), if you don't mind sharing.

Thank you.

--Reg

49. rancidTaste profile image64
    rancidTasteposted 15 years ago

Hub no # 99 [counting from the last]
    More hubs required for Hub Challenge: 98

Title:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    How to Enable or Disable the Guest Account in Windows XP

Link:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://hubpages.com/_rat/hub/How-to-Ena … Windows-XP

Thanks
    rancidTaste 
    smile

50. Reg Brittain profile image59

You go, Ryan!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)