The Subdomain Switch ...What's Happening with you?

Jump to Last Post 351-400 of 538 discussions (1974 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I put this together to help people examine the changes to their traffic.

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/U … gle-Change

@Randy Godwin - I put a few things in there for you to try.  I hope it's helpful.

At the very least, there are instructions in there for people to add their subdomains to their google webmastertools account which has lots of good data in it.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tried this Paul, but it says "The tracking code used by your site is not associated with your Analytics account.".

The other things was your suggestion to take a long tail title and check it in Google.

I don't have many long tail titles that get traffic, so I took my top hub that I only published last week - Top 10 Incredibly Stupid Things that People have done on Facebook - and put it into Google search.

As I get no visitors at all from Google on that hub (though I did in its first few days) I was not surprised to not see it on page 1, but there on page 2 was a Chinese exact copy (exact if you put in into translate and reverse engineer what the thieves had done) and with the same title.

My original hub is nowhere to be found.

I take it this is an example of what you said in your hub. "Something is wrong".

Can you help me further?

2. Silver Rose profile image64
      Silver Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a look at Randy's Coleman air-conditioner hub - and the first thing that struck me was massive paragraphs that were bolded.

Get rid of this. G hates over-use of strong and bold (to the bot only spammers do this). Also - you don't need the "More RV AC Repair Articles" list of hubs, because those hubs already occur in the related hubs in the sidebar. That's unnecessary duplication.

Also I would reduce the Amazon items to four - remove the books and some of the accessories (like the Camco covers that look identical) and keep the expensive air cons.

Finally close the comments - you keep talking about people's butts in there, and parties. The bot has probably parsed the text and concluded that spammers have taken control over your guestbook!

When you've made the changes, you need to tweet it or something to persuade the bot to come take a fresh look at your hub

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Close the comments?  This is where questions are answered about repairs needed for all of my RV articles.  And I don't think the comment sections is full of "butts and parties" references either.

Since Paul E didn't mention any of the things you posted I fail to see how your suggestions would help.  I can easily change the bold type but I doubt it is the problem.

The readers like their questions answered and to scan the other problems from readers to see if their problem is already answered, they tell me so often.

If I cannot choose how to display my info in the best possible light so readers get the information they need without the big "G" screwing up my views, then no use even trying to suit them.

Perhaps it is indeed time to give up on these types of writing sites.  What do I get for the 40% share of my earnings that I cannot get on my own site?  Obviously, protection from copiers and Google, is not included in it.  All that's left is merely a platform to publish my work, and now it appears the platform is crumbling slowly away.

Now, I suppose if I move my articles they will be considered duplicates because so many have been copied, so my work seems totally wasted at this point. 

The bottom line is, I worked hard to create needed highly searched for content which readers appreciate and I end up getting penalized for it. 

I write here to keep from having to do lots of technical work because I am unfamiliar how to do it myself.  If I can't depend on HP to look out for my interests, and theirs too, then what's the point of even writing here at all?  mad

1. Silver Rose profile image64

Well, I tried to help!!!! You can lead a horse to water...

Regarding spam, here's an article from Matt Cutts on comment spam:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/ … -spam.html

"To respond to that challenge, we recently launched a redesigned document-level classifier that makes it harder for spammy on-page content to rank highly. The new classifier is better at detecting spam on individual web pages, e.g., repeated spammy words—the sort of phrases you tend to see in junky, automated, self-promoting blog comments."

Your comments talk about people's butts and parties - the classifier has probably concluded that you have been spammed by p**n sites and that as the page owner you are OK with that - and they've sent you plunging down the ranks.

If you don't want to close comments, at least delete the comments with the offending words.

Over-doing the bolding is a well-known black hat strategy too. It is easier for readers to scan text that is not bolded - there is no user-driven reason to over-bold stuff.

But, you don't have to take on board anything I say. Try Paul's methods first, and see what happens...

I removed 2 or 3 comments from the offending hub.  This hub has very few comments compared to similar hubs with 100+ questions and comments related to the article itself.

I do appreciate your attempt to help, but since Paul saw nothing in my hubs to cause me problems, should I assume you know more about this than he does?

1. frogdropping profile image77
              frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Never judge a book by the cover Randy tongue

I have made no firm judgements on any "book covers" lately, FD.  I've found I cannot trust anyone in this business. 

I never knew it was so easy for thieves to easily get away with stealing my work, nor that I would be at the mercy of Google to manipulate my work to appear beneath that stolen from me. 

If I continue to write it will probably be somewhere I can at least have a bit of respect for those I'm involved with.  If not, no big deal.  I never expected to try my hand at writing but at least I proved to myself I could do it.  This is merely one thing in a long line of things I've proven to myself I could do.

Writing an article is easy and enjoyable to me.  The rest is frustrating in the extreme.

I've never failed in my self-challenges and I didn't this time.  This business is too corrupt for me to ever place any faith in it.  I don't need the hassle I'm now involved in with this.  Live and learn.  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                  Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy, I'm surprised you managed to be here for so long and not learn about content scraping and article theft. It's a pity, because I bet many of those copies are copies of the copies - so if you'd been keeping an eye out for plagiarism as you went along, you could have stamped out the early thefts and prevented the snowball. 

Filing DMCA's does work, often fairly quickly.  I know it's frustrating and tedious, but don't you think you could manage to devote one day to it?  You might be surprised how much you get done.  If the thieves have Adsense on their site, you can just click on the "AdChoices" logo and report them straight to Google - then you have the satisfaction of knowing that the b@st@rds could lose their Adsense account.

It doesn't matter where you write online - catching the thieves is always your job, not the job of the site you're on.

I probably know DIFFERENT things to him.

I've pulled a couple of clients sites out of panda and they've remained out. In some cases, there was spam infecting parts of the site (and they hadn't realised), sometimes they had too many links on a page, sometimes too much Amazon. Sometimes it was down to the template and how it looked to a user.

G is sensitive about Amazon. But reducing Amazon links doesn't mean fewer sales. There's an old sales adage where the more choice you give people the less likely they are to decide, and therefore the best way of going about it is the "rule of three". Pick the product that you want the customer to buy, choose one more expensive, and one less expensive, arrange them in order of price, and they go for the middle one the majority of the time.

Of course if you've just got three items listed, you need them to be more prominent so people see them - so a full capsule rather than a half capsule, fairly prominently up the page, and with hand-written unique descriptions of each product, usually helps conversions.

1. Janet21 profile image81
                Janet21posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many have been discussing the use of  Amazon capsules as a cause for our traffic decline, however, I highly doubt that is the case.  I have lots of amazon links on my blogs and on my Squidoo lenses and those platforms have not been affected.  My Squidoo traffic is actually at an all-time high currently even with lots of amazon and ebay links.

That being said, this is further proof that diversification is extremely important when trying to earn money online.  One platform is down, however, the others are up.  You still earn money.  Sure my hub earnings have taken a hit, however, my hubpages earnigns only account for about 10-20% of my total online income.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
                  theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree...it's not Amazon. I have Amazon and a crap load of other affiliates as well as infolinks on some of my sites and they aren't being penalized in the least bit.

I'm sure you are aware that Squidoo "hides" it's Amazon links from the googlebot using lazy loading on it's Amazon module, right?

So when you view the source code you can't see the links.

I just went to Squidoo and dug up this lens of yours: http://www.squidoo.com/kidsbirthdaycakes

Now view the source code: I can see shareasale links, commission junction links, but no Amazon - eg the Amazon harry potter items are hidden by lazy loading.

The Googlebot is seeing what we are seeing, what is in the source code - no amazon, even though it's there - and therefore giving it a pass. No wonder your Squidoo traffic is at an all time high!

Hubpages by contrast shows ALL the amazon links - two per product, one on the image and one on the link. Hubpages is being penalised.

And you really think Amazon is not an issue?

1. Silver Rose profile image64

P.S. I just checked some other lenses with Ebay - same thing, using lazy loading they are hiding that there is ebay from the googlebot.

So now we know why squidoo appears to have evaded panda - thanks to some major attempts at concealment.

Hubpages can either shop Squidoo - or adopt teh same strategy and implement lazy loading on all it's amazon and ebay capsules.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Randy, just because Paul didn't mention it doesn't mean it's wrong.  He's the CEO of HubPages not a SEO guru. It may not be the reason for this drop in traffic but it's true that big chunks of bold text are not recommended for the reasons given. 

Well, to be fair, such protection was never offered. You know yourself, HP has always told us plagiarism was our own problem.  As for what you got for the 40% share of earnings - what you got was visibility. 

Pre-Panda, HubPages had a good reputation in Google's eyes, and we rode on those coat-tails.  A good Hub would get ranked and earn money without you really trying - whereas your own website would make dismal income unless you put effort into promotion.  Better to get a 60% share of decent income than 100% of none. 

The problem now is that HP no longer has a good rep with Google, so we're not getting that advantage from being associated with it.  Our sub-domain is no different from having our own website, apart from the cross-linking with other HP sub-domains - which gives us a lot more backlinks, though some say they're counter-productive.

No, it's not wasted.  Leave your Hubs published and go after the plagiarists with DMCA notices.  It works.  Once you've got rid of the major offenders, and if traffic still hasn't improved, then you could look at moving all your Hubs on your main topic to your own niche website.

I don't feel the copied hubs caused my problems, Marisa.  It happened too suddenly.  I was better off before changing to a sub-domain.  None of the previous Panda changes affected me as they did others.

And if Paul is not capable of finding the problem, I'm sure he has people qualified to do so.  If he doesn't have such people, then we are doomed anyway. 

I'm not sure I even want to write anymore.  I have promised a few articles to a site I belong to which is associated with the Smithsonian Institute.  No money, but good recognition for my writing about a subject I know well and love.  I don't have to deal with those I cannot depend on nor trust.  For now, it isn't worth it to me.

I do appreciate everything I've learned from those here who helped me, you included.  I've met some great folks on HP and that was worth more to me than the money.  smile

2. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google is a thief of original content. When they promote duplicat content they are stealing. I am so glad I moved to ebooks since the pigs at Google decided to RIP ME OFF. Screwgled.

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I switched to a subdomain the first week, figured I might as well bite the bullet and see what happens.

At the time I had a fluke a hub that was suddenly getting 4k views daily .. so it was probably foolish to make a major jump at the time.

Within 3 days that 4k daily hub was back to normal sub 100 view level but the rest of the portfolio did see a rise and has never lost it. Did the switch and 301's kill its traffic?
    I'll never know.

So, if I take in account seasonal flux and that the majority of my top earners were pulled and moved at early signs of mismanagement here ..I think I would be back to Pre-panda levels.

But, unfortunately .. since HP did half ass testing, who knows what change may have influenced that. So traffic levels are at an acceptable level (for me)historically BUT since the adsense layout was changed / amazon was disemboweled and 3rd part aff links were changed, the earning potential of well viewed content is still a very small shadow of what it once was.

In the end ... if they had better quality control and kept out JUST the spun content and ESL gibberish - we probably would be at this point already .. but could have kept amazon and a superior adsense layout.

sorry for the long post, but felt like weighing in on my subdomain experience.. once the subdomain is reindexed it seems it ranks as one would expect IF they were actively supporting and promoting their efforts (who knows what happens to the field of dreams content) but that doesnt matter because the rest of the HP structure was cannibalized and rendered ineffective in the process.

in short .. subdomains worked, but HP doesnt sad

Post Panda Ive found that niche web sites with real human written content and a solid promo plan ranks quickly and well!

Thats where the business minded will/should head.

How many times does someone have to say the above before many realise that they need to do the above?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I have my niche sites up and running. This doesn't detract from the fact that our HP accounts have let us down twice now through no fault of our own that we are aware of. Well, not everyones obviously.

The bottom line is the fact that you cannot control what is happening here. And everyone is feeling it, to a greater or lesser degree, not least HP itself.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think many who post in the forums do realize this and are simply expressing concerns about their current situation.

I figured this went with saying too, Rebekah.  But I know FD means well because of her own experiences here.   I do know this but have been reluctant to close my account here because of it being my peak earning season and my hubs were not affected by Google's screwed up Panda algorithms previously.

But I got screwed anyway by Google.  The problem is, there is no hope a private website will not be subjected to the same treatment.  I stuck to all of the rules put into place by HP and Google.  I kept my part of the bargain and they penalized me for doing so.  They have treated me unfairly for no reason.  Either they fix it or cram it

I will say this though, I do not let folks get away with stuff like this without putting up a fight.  I may lose, but they'll know I've been there.  smile

3. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

This must be a temporary problem like Paul said a few comments back, maybe everyone should just hold tight until all the pages are moved across to subdomains.

I still haven't seen a drop in traffic, most hubs a re hanging in there nicely and my best hub is still rising in traffic, back to pre-panda levels.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks Richie! You should get a job at Hubpages.

What is the point of 'sitting tight' when there is a possibility we can do something to sort things?

If you'd had the traffic drop the rest of us have had, you would not be happy holding tight and waiting.

1. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Woww, was that sarcasm?

I didn't literally mean sit tight, obviously you can always do things to try and help. I just meant not to lose all faith. I was just trying to give encouragement hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

Don't mind me Richie!

I'm just a little sensitive just now, seeing 2 years work wiped out overnight.

You deserve to be "a little sensitive" at this point, Izzy.  Myself?  I'm a lot pissed off.  Usually, bad things happen when I'm in this mood.  smile

2. profile image0
            shazwellynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Izzy, I know EXACTLY what you mean. 

I practice positive thought and am trying to remind myself.... 'Everything is good.  There is a bigger picture.'  I am looking forward to laughing at this when peace is restored in Google land.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Please please please....can that be tomorrow???

2. viryabo profile image93
              viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On Point. smile

3. Mrvoodoo profile image59
            Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Try to take a breath, and slow down.  You seem to be prone to making rash judgements.  You were warned not to celebrate too early, but instead stormed ahead with reports of traffic through the roof, promises of quadrupled earnings, and encouragement to others to: write, write, write more hubs (within this very thread).

It is also far too early to consider two years of work to have been wiped out overnight.

Has it even been a month yet since the switch to sub-domains?

Things are still in flux (and to some degree always will be).

1. IzzyM profile image87

That's me well and truly told!! Thanks, Dad!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59
                Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My pleasure.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
                FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

is this really your dad? Sounds like a Dad. If so, that's great.

2. Jean Bakula profile image94
              Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me the only ones who made money were people who wrote one article and posted it on 5 different sites. They are the ones hurting the most. I came to HP at a bad time, and am unsure what I want to do. I did expect to make money, even though my hubs are mostly informational. I do see many of them on really good sites about my subjects, alongside other well written pieces. I also see different traffic, more on hubs that didn't get much traffic before. You have to expect a drop if you were using one hub in a bunch of places. I think it will keep changing for a while. I like to write, and am using my own name, so I am getting some more attention now.

1. CMHypno profile image81
                CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. You do know that it is against HP TOS for what you post here not to be original? It is against HP rules to publish a hub that has previously been published elsewhere on the web?

Most of the 'plungers' are experienced hubbers who only post original content. If you are finding your hubs copied elsewhere on the web without your knowledge, you need to contact the web master or file a DMCA notice to get your stolen content taken down, as it will be hurting your original hub

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
                  Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused by these threads, CMHypno, are you replying to me? I have written every one of my original pieces, and came to HP when the standard was starting to change and one piece was not allowed to be posted on several sites or blogs. My hubs are not being copied, but they are being listed under my name on sites that represent my niche topics. I think that this is causing them to be seen by more people, and they have quickly been cached. Nobody is stealing my work. If you are not replying to me, best of luck.

I was replying to you because you said that the people who made money on HP were copying their work onto multiple sites, which made me wonder if you were aware of the rules?  HP may have tightened up the rules recently, but copied content has always been frowned on.

Also confused about how your hubs are ending up on other sites if you are not doing it, or are you posting them?

Motivated purely by concern! smile

4. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

And now for some light relief, here's Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

I think there could be a lesson there for all of us :-)

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love this sketch. It is my favourite. Of course, being a writer I also love the thesauras (I don't know if I am spelling that correctly)

5. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 12 years ago

For some hubs it seems as if my rankings have just be reshuffled (lowered) and for other hubs, I get to page 5 and still can't find my hub where before I was on page 1.  (could also be a reshuffle, just a much, much larger drop).

Taking a look at my top two traffic hubs (historically), both of these hubs were #1 on google for their main keywords after the sub-domain switch.  I was getting 350-450 visitors a day.  Now, they are both still on the first page of google, but have dropped to #3 and #4 and each are getting about a 100 visitors a day.  If this is the case across my hubs, then this could be why I have a lost close to 3,000 daily visitors. 

I also tested as Paul suggested one of my obscure hubs using the full title and it is #1 on google.

6. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

Wow... the more people say things like this the more and more I'm realizing that this penalty is the "sandbox"/Dance that some receive as a temporary penalty. This has happened to me on several occasions when I've changed the look of my site. Ryan Kett's site Excerptz is experiencing a similar problem right now.

Even when you have a penalty many of your better articles will still rank for long tail keywords - in fact, after reading up on this many suggest that you were on long-tail keywords during the penalty period; however, the real pain comes with just having to wait it out.

In the past, my sites that this has happened to, have come back to be as good and as strong as they were before. Let's hope that this is the case with HP - but then again who is willing to wait?

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

By the way - it's not completely unreasonable to say that some subdomains would be affected and some wouldn't - I've had some sites where I changed the look of the site drastically and nothing happened.

I've heard that redirecting an "old domain" to your site as well as linking from authoritative sites helps to eliminate this quicker - but in the past I've waited and that seemed to work fine after a while.

I'm willing to wait. I'm a patient hubber.

7. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Traffic has at least gone slightly back over the 100 mark, but not with traffic to my usually top traffic hubs. Top traffic today with a whopping 6 goes to a Christmas hub?

I have created a new tracking code in GA for my new subdomain, so hopefully it will allow me to verify with GWT when the new tracking code is detected.

8. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

<slightly off topic wordy stuff>

Regarding advice about how get out of the traffic crash...if there's one thing I've learned about the Internet, it's that nobody knows everything. At best, we give good guesses - from work-at-home moms to customer service reps to your marketing experts to top executives to scientists to, well, anybody historically considered an authority by virtue of their success, experience or certifications.  "Who" somebody is gives you far less certainty than in the traditional ecosystem.

That's not JUST because the online economy is so darn new and changing so fast and its infrastructure is still rudimentary. It's because it CAN change fast to respond to fluctuations in economic and other powerful forces, so it will. We're - obviously - connecting to each other in unprecedented ways. What may not seem so obvious and what may seem a little crazy is that we're showing every sign of being in a pre-growth era and about to grow at a phenomenal rate, and the social and economic changes will rival those after World War II.

For people making money on the web, the changes are in our faces. The target market's changing (the web is dominated by the younger generations who trade within a different kind of economy from the older generations).  The producers are changing (permanent staffs are out, contract work is in, corporate is out, independent is in). The law is changing (Amazon tax laws, various actions against Google, and on the horizon, intellectual property law).

In this climate, don't be surprised that what works one day doesn't work the next. What's considered quality will change in the blink of an eye more than once as search engines get smarter, the FTC and other regulatory agencies make policy, and either language translators get better or non-English speaking countries learn to speak an English that's indistinguishable from that of a native speaker, thus bringing together markets that have never really intermingled...yikes, so many changes to come.

It boggles the mind.  To keep afloat, just try to use common sense and get as much data as you can, because the experts who offer advice are doing exactly that - studying data and using common sense.

</slightly off topic wordy stuff>

9. Buster Bucks profile image91
    Buster Bucksposted 12 years ago

Think about the following stats:

* millions of new webpages are added every minute;
    * 35 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute;
    * 3,000+ photos are uploaded to Flikr every minute;
    * 1 billion or more people will log onto the internet today;
    * 2 million searches per minute (34,000 each second) on Google;
    * Yahoo has 200,000 searches per minute;
    * 70,000 searches on Bing each minute;
    * 700 updates to Facebook each second;
    * 600 tweets per second;
    * page rankings change every milli-second.

All of these numbers I've provided are woefully out-of-date; they're already much higher.

The Web is growing -- and changing -- at light speed.

Maybe it would be helpful to step back a little bit, and put yourself (and your Hubs) into perspective.

Do you really think that Hubpages -- or any site, for that matter -- can wave a wand and instantly change the Web for your benefit?

Are you going to make judgments and assumptions based on your traffic in a day? a week? three weeks?

Really?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I expect writing here to get readers and earn money.  If the Hubpages stops meeting that expectation, I will stop writing here and move my content to other sites that do meet those expectations.

What part of that is unreasonable?

I think it is expecting someone to write pages that would get at least one hit a day on their own blog, and get less than 1/10 of a hit here.  That is: my hubs are being actively delisted from Google. Writing here is like writing in visible ink.

The only reasonable basis for a plunger staying on would be an expectation that Huubpages will determine the source of the problem and fix it.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Randy, your hubs are very well written and informative. Hopefully, whatever the issue is will be resolved. Enjoy your Sunday. smile

Thanks Rebekah.  I'm getting away for a while. At this point I don't care what anyone does.  I have no desire to do anything else if I have to keep rectifying mistakes caused by others.

Either HP or Google will do what's right, or they won't.  I'm through dealing with those I can't depend on.

So long.  smile

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

At staff suggestion I started Google Analytics.  I am not sure that it does anything but confuse me more. 11 impression yesterday as per Hubads. 50 visits as per Analytics (for the same 24 hours).

12. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

Sorry, I don't want to burst any bubbles but my highest traffic hub remains steady and has at least 20 amazon items on it. I don't know why traffic mysteriously crapped out (which sucks and is super scary) but I don't think it was an across the board Amazon affiliate take down.

13. CMHypno profile image81

Still plunged, but the plunge has leveled out smile

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too. In fact there seems to be a very slight improvement today. I'm still down substantially, but the slide has bottomed out for now.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If my #2 account plunged any more, I'd have negative daily views mad

14. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Hate to burst your hopeful bubble, but haven't you noticed traffic always picks up Sunday/Monday, so whatever you get between now and Wednesday will likely be the highest daily views you will get this week.

Unless Google lifts whatever it has placed on our accounts before then.

True, but maybe we have now seen the lowest the plunge can go? Or not? Yes, I have been drinking the vodka since Saturday night LOL! lol

1. IzzyM profile image87

Speaking of vodka, our local shop ran out!! So I bought this other vodka/fruit mix drink that's a pale blue in color. Mixed it with ice and lemonade (Sprite) and it's wonderful!!

I'm not even looking at stats anymore. I need to know how to get past level 3 - 15 in Angry Birds.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stop drinking the blue stuff! 

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-045.gif

2. CMHypno profile image81

Hubbers out of control LOL! Drunk in charge of Angry Birds!

1. IzzyM profile image87

LMAO!!! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Actually I haven't even started on the drink yet - it's only 5.15pm!

We have a heatwave, I was up in the middle of the night having a cold shower to try and cool down enough to sleep.

Now I am going for a swim now that the sun feels a little less like an inferno.

Come to Wales. No need to turn on the shower, just step outside...

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

Nothing stays stable here for very long.  Google makes sure of that.  But nothing will change this as long as Google is so powerful it can manipulate millions of writers content at will.

Too bad they can't differentiate between honesty and corruption in their vast manipulations of internet searches.  I see no improvement in this scenario for the immediate future.  smile

You'd better make sure that that friend of yours across the swamp is brewing plenty of moonshine then Randy! Slurp tongue

No problem, CM.  Since the latest fiasco here I have increased his profit margin quite a bit.  Google doesn't have any control over him yet.  smile

15. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Kind of funny, but I deleted a bunch of stuff in preparation for republishing it elsewhere and today my HP traffic is up..

16. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

I'm a bit confused.  I have a sub domain now, are all my hubs transferred to that domain or what?  I'm still logging in as the same person and still seeing jane@cm.  Do I have to type in my new domain - its all too confusing.

No, Jane.  All of your hubs are redirected to your new subdomain.  I hope you don't become selected by Google to become a "plunger" like some of us.  smile

17. Damien Thorn profile image58
    Damien Thornposted 12 years ago

A Suggestion For The "Plungers"

Just move on to blogger. As a free platform, it is as good as HubPages, plus you get to keep 100% of the adsense revenue. Google never unfairly penalizes blogger. Unless you are spamming links (I am talking about 30k to 50k link blasts with softwares) or scraping content, your blog won't get sandboxed or penalized.

Anyway, it is a bad idea to write for a revenue sharing site which gives authors individual subdomains. The only reason to write for a revenue sharing site is to take the benefit of the strong domain. Articles tend to rank high even without promotion. Subdomains negate that benefit. So better chose blogger or any other quality revenue sharing site like infobarrel, wizzley etc.

Ummm, in that case, why are you here?

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Thanks for that Damien. Nice to hear from someone who has a firm grasp of the current situation here on HP - NOT!

I don't know why everyone is being so hard on Damien, whoever he is.   He has a point, you know. It's one of the reasons people like Sunforged weren't happy with the "sub-domain by author" proposal.

I always used to say it was better to write on HubPages instead of on your own blog, because the high reputation of the main site attracted readers for us.  60% of a high readership is worth far more than 100% of a trickle.

We all know the main site no longer has a high reputation in Google's eyes, in fact the opposite is true!  So there's no longer a big, obvious advantage to writing on HubPages compared to your own site (on Blogger or any other platform).  In fact, we more or less have our own sites, here - a sub-domain is regarded as a separate website by Google.  Each Blogger blog is just a sub-domain.

There are still upsides but they're not what they were.

I still think HubPages offers a great introduction to online writing for newbies, because the learning curve isn't quite as steep, you can experiment with different niches, and the monetization options are easier to get going.  Plus there's a community here to help.  To make money on your own blog or site, Adsense isn't enough - you really need to learn about the various affiliate networks and find highly relevant products.  Plus you're on your own and it can feel quite isolating.

The advantage of HubPages for existing Hubbers is that even if the main site's reputation is in tatters, our existing profile and Hubs have age and backlinks on their side.  But I'm not writing any more Hubs for several more months until I see how my sub-domain rides out the storms.

1. Uzdawi profile image73
        Uzdawiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. Hubpages is great for beginners at this sort of thing, but once you get the hang of it, it is smart to move on, as it is just not worth it.

And I am also done with writing hubs, at least for now.

lol

19. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

A suggestion for Damien

(censored)

Quite.

20. Richieb799 profile image75

How's things going in my hometown of Hubsville today? I've been pulled from my natural habit to start work at a small business office tomorrow. I am giving them SEO analysis of their website and competitors..just filled up my notebook tonight, got some interesting findings for the boss big_smile

I'm meant to be one day in the office and rest of the week working from home updating via email. So my dreams of becoming an affiliate millionaire are being disrupted. Haven't been able to do much backlinking today hmm

I don't know about the other members of the "Plungers" group, but I've been busy copying all of my Hubs in case I have to make a hasty exit from this site.  But it seems others have already duplicated them without my knowledge or consent.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I've given up worrying, but I finally got by level 3 - 15 on Angry Birds. Up to 3 - 21 now smile

Oh and I am not playing - this is RESEARCH! wink

I'm going to have to check out these Angry Birds and what was that blue stuff in the bottle called?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Can't remember but it was made by some Spanish chemical company. It was too sweet after all and at only 20 proof, hardly worth the effort!
            Check out Angry Birds on Google + if you're a member. If not Google Chrome has a free online game.
            Else download it to your iphone if you have one.

Thanks Izzy!

2. viking305 profile image94
          viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol.  Keep researching and enjoy!

I always write offline and save the copy anyway. I have started a slow exit but, as you say, it takes a lot of time to get all the copied content removed first!

I bet all those spinners, copiers and c**p peddlars on HP aren't having this kind of problem with their subdomains!

As I've had a few glasses of sparkling rose this evening, I feel a song coming on.......

'And I'm still plunging whoah, whoah, still plunging!' lol

1. bgamall profile image68

Matt Cutts couldn't tell a thief from himself. That is because he is the grand thief. What a scumbag.

I want this to be found when someone Googles Matt Cutts Scumbag but it probably will be stolen and put at the top of search!!!!!!

Hey bgamall we are trying to have a sing-a-long here!

1. bgamall profile image68

I know. String-him-up along would be better. Just kidding. I mean no harm to the guy even though he is a son of a female dog.

3. Richieb799 profile image75

I made a copy of all my hubs before, I've done a couple since then though. About 10 maybe. I can't remember the tool I used to download them all, I have no reason to leave at the mo thankfully.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Firefox has an Add On called 'Scrapbook' that will back all of your hubs at once within a short space of time Randy. Saves hours of the time it takes copying them one by one.

21. CMHypno profile image81

OK, I have requested a reconsideration thingy with Google Webmaster Tools, and if they come back with anything useful, I will let you guys know.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I tried to, after being finally able to verify my subdomain on Google Webmasters tools last night.

On the page where it gives you a drop down list of the site you want Google to check, my subdomain isn't there!!

An even bigger issue for me is that the new subdomain I connected to Analytics in order to join the GWT is not showing Adsense.

Normally I'd go to Content - then Adsense to see where my clicks are coming from.

Now under Content, Adsense isn't listed!

Wish I'd left it all alone, it was working fine before.

22. CMHypno profile image81

I've just checked and my GA is not showing Adsense for the new subdomain either.  And for the first time ever I got more Bing traffic than I did Google traffic yesterday - which shows how pathetic my Google traffic is now.

I'm with you Izzy - I wish people would stop trying to mend things that are not broken!

1. IzzyM profile image87

That's two of us now with the same issue! Anyone else? Anyone know how to fix things?

That's easy, you'll find how to do it here : https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … wer=141997

Hope it helped! smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Excellent thanks! That sorted it smile

23. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I went in to check and the link to my profile is on the webmaster tools part although there is a red notification which says
    Error: Author profile page does not have a rel=me link to a Google Profile
    I am not doing anything until those who understand more than me, try something and it works!
    Traffic wise I am exactly where I was last week, about 30 per cent up when we went sub domained- I seem to have not experienced the massive gains but neither do I have the massive loss- so maybe just being middle of the road I am scraping under any radar?

24. Hubman007 profile image61
    Hubman007posted 12 years ago

A reconsideration appeal will have no use unless your domain was manually penalized or actually deindexed.

Since its happened to many people you have to assume this is an algorithim penalty.

It sounds alot like the Google -900 penalty which is what many people like to call, or mistake for, the sandbox.

This penalty happens to alot of new sites even if they dont backlink and while you have the penalty your site will always be around 900 places back from where it originally ranked.

If this is the case then there isnt much anyone can do apart from wait it out.

It is actually Google 950 penalty wink. If someone is interested, a list of potential causes can be found here : http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3215939.htm and here:
      http://www.netwriting.co.uk/google/google-950-penalty/

It's what Paul Edmondson the HP CEO advised on his hub - I just followed the link!

http://pauledmondson.hubpages.com/hub/U … gle-Change

25. psycheskinner profile image83

My traffic is a tad better today.  Maybe on the way back?

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/emilyveinglory/untitled-2.jpg

Mine is a bit better today to, but it usually improves at this time of the week.  But better to travel hopefully and all smile   Randy, pass the moonshine - slurp!!!!

I would like to ask you, is most of your traffic from HP?

Because if you have seen a rise in traffic, it is more likely thanks to other hubbers, as they get more traffic at this this of the week and some of the traffic comes to you as well.

Before last week's drop most of my traffic was from Google - I have never particularly got a lot of traffic from HP. And by rise, it is by no means back to where it was - still officially plunged!

26. mulberry1 profile image81
    mulberry1posted 12 years ago

Yep, on the bright side...once you hit bottom there is nowhere to go but up.

You can't see those nasty blue arrows anymore when you hit bottom.

Anyway, mine has made the smallest of moves upward. I hit a low of 132 visits/day and have hurdled (sarcasm) up to like 169 or so. There are 6 or 7 red arrows on my dashboard. (GASP)

I guess it's this kind of thing that makes you so much more grateful for the traffic you get during more stable periods.

27. CMHypno profile image81

I have started the slow process of moving my hubs elsewhere - after all you might as well get 0 views on your own sites! - but I have to say that I am a real wimp and feel slightly sick when I delete a hub! sad

1. IzzyM profile image87

Well, I'm not going anywhere.

I have my own sites and blogs, but I can just as easily write new content for them. In the time it would take me to check a hub hasn't been plagiarised, then copy it, delete it, wait for it to be de-indexed and re-post it elsewhere, I could have written ten + new posts around the same topic if need be.

I'll write 4 more hubs to give myself a nice round figure of 500, then I'll leave them and go off and do other things.

If my traffic returns, I'll add more, if not, then I won't. Or maybe won't.

I like writing hubs.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That makes a lot of sense, Izzy.  I don't think this is all over yet - I expect to see quite a few ups and downs in the coming months. 

I didn't seem to get hit as bad as some of you folks are reporting, but did have a week where traffic dropped back to post-panda levels.  That has now returned to much higher levels, to the point that yesterday was the best day since the panda strike.

Hopefully you will see the same kind of thing - a drop followed in a few days by a return.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Today is the 7th day of the drop and no sign of recovery. Awfully glad I didn't hold my breath waiting or I'd be dead by now!

On the plus side, I completed all 3 levels of Angry Birds (as shown on Google+ and Google Chrome) and was disappointed to see that is all they have - no more levels. OK back to work!

Well it is a very slow process, what with having to sort out the copiers etc and there will always be some hubs that will stay here because this is the best place for them. But I have a group that I meant to move just after Christmas, but didn't because traffic was so good, then started after Feb Panda, but stopped again when the traffic went up again.

I tend to write long articles, so to rewrite some of them from a new angle would be painful.

So the slow moving is back on, starting with historically the poor performers that might do better elsewhere anyway, with a 'see what happens' caveat thrown in.

28. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

I'm with you, Izzy.  I'm not going anywhere, it's too soon for me to make that decision.  I'll wait it out a bit, but I'm not motivated to do any more publishing until I see an upturn in traffic.

My traffic has increased a titch, albeit a barely discernible rise.  It's not enough to make me feel better.  But, I look at HP like the stock market, I am not going to pull out all my money with the little valleys.  It's a long-term gig for me.

I would like some insight from Paul, however about what he's noticed are the commonalities between the "plungers".  On his hub he states:  "At this point there are some similarities between authors that were impacted negatively, but they're by no means the rule."  What are the similarities?

29. psycheskinner profile image83

My new traffic seems to be from referring sites outside hubpages.

30. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Just posted this in another thread.  I'm looking for an account that dropped, but hasn't done link building off of HubPages beyond posting to twitter, facebook and maybe a link from a personal blog.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I might be your man, so to speak.

I'm not good at link building, though I did try with my earlier hubs.

My subdomain has dropped. Help!

Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@IzzyM I read some of your hubs and many are highly optimized for several keywords on a page.

Take your sexy cat halloween costumes hub and give it a read. http://izzym.hubpages.com/hub/Sexy-Cat- … n-Costumes
        I'm curious if people feel it has potential to be viewed as over optimized.

I also notice a feed of other hubs on your page.

Mutiny92 also mentioned his falling traffic.  He's less optimized than I'd consider yours to be http://mutiny92.hubpages.com/hub/Pastel-Bedding He also includes feeds on his Hubs, but they're more closely related.

RyanKett mentioned his traffic has been doing fine.  He has several amazon hubs like http://ryankett.hubpages.com/hub/Christ … or-Puppies

Ryan also uses related links.

If you were to compare those three Hubs, what a do you think the differences are - anything noteworthy?

I agree, it's keyword stuffed, though I don't think it's intentional.  It's just that there aren't many other ways you can say "cat".  I have the same trouble sometimes when I write about dance, because there's a lot of dance-specific words which have no synonyms. The word for pointe is pointe, there's no alternative, so sometimes I read it over and find I've used the word in every second sentence.  It can be quite tough to find a way of cutting them out but I'm conscious I need to do it.

I've used this tool to check I'm not over-using a word:
          http://webconfs.com/keyword-density-checker.php

There are other similar tools.  Of course, no one really agrees how much is too much, but a lot of sites recommend you keep it around 2-3%.  The word "cat" in this Hub is at 4.24% and "Halloween" is at 3.38. 

I was really surprised to see a feed of unrelated Hubs at the bottom of the Hub - especially as I thought that was now against HubPages' rules and should've been caught by the filter?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for working out those percentages for me, Marisa! 4% and 3% odds aren't bad, and you are right, there are only so many ways you can say the word cat and Halloween. I kept the word sexy down to a minimum to keep the adverts on the page!

In a way I am sorry that this hub got held up for inspection because it's not what I would consider a good hub. It's a sales hub, nothing more and written for the search engines. The lay out with the sexy models is for the viewer and the fantasist(Probably not the buyer).

For that, it worked, but I hope Paul is not suggesting that this hub is bringing the rest down.

Actually I think this is a perfect example of what I've been trying to say. 

I think we all assumed Paul chose this as an example because he could see it wasn't doing well.   Our assumption was fuelled by the fact it's the kind of sales Hub that's no longer seen as desirable on HubPages post-Panda.

Now you tell us it's one of your success stories, which just goes to show how much all of us - including HubPages management - is still guessing what we must do to recover post-Panda!

1. IzzyM profile image87

I have a mix of hubs, with a lot more informational than sales hubs. Out of my top four hubs that are still doing OK, three of them are sales hubs.

My one informational hub that is still up there is a little bit keyword stuffed. I don't know the percentage, but I do know I tweaked it on a daily basis until I managed to get all possible combinations of its main keywords into the #1 position in Google.

Having said that, the keywords were added to captions and the odd sentence. Overall it is probably not keyword stuffed at all. (its a very long hub).

It has recently got one of its #1s back (without me changing anything).

The unrelated links are probably on all of the 40 odd hubs I did for the challenge, which is less than 10% my total hubs.

I checked two or three of the others in the group, and they are also still carrying the feed and their traffic has not dropped. So it is not that.

I am at a loss. I have all sorts of styles of hubs in my portfolio, as I tried different ways of writing things to try and attract search engine traffic and sales. Some of them worked, and some didn't.

But there is no point in me deciding its this, that or the other and changing everything, when it could be something else entirely.

HP already had us jump through hoops with loads of changes, so our subdomains should be fresh and pristine because we have already made all the recommended changes.

Yet for some of us it isn't working.

I think the best thing to do is ignore it, carry on as normal and maybe in 3 months time (which I believe is when Google reviews a penalty) traffic will return without further changes.

Exactly.  We're all guessing at what the cause might be, and so is HubPages management (although their guesses are hopefully far more educated).  After all, they've never had any specific advice from Google on exactly what's required to fix the site, it's all been trial and error.  Maybe they haven't gone far enough yet - maybe there will have to be more changes.  I think it's a waste of time tinkering with existing Hubs to try to solve the problem for that reason - better to get on with other stuff.

But then that's easy for me to say when I'm not depending on the income.

This is interesting.

http://www.wordtracker.com/academy/pand … lity-sites

Thanks for these tips Marisa. I have been checking out some of my hubs with the tool you linked to, and it is words that I had not been targeting that seem to have the highest density (completely unintentionally!)

In one hub the word 'skin' is 4.22% - not my targeted keyword, but like your 'dance' what other word do you use for skin? Out comes the thesaurus! smile

"Food for thought"

3. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul, If you are implying that RSS and related links maybe an issue then please consider the related links that are posted on every page by HP - Perhaps this may be a problem as many of the ones shown are not related and the author has no control over them - they are added by HP using some formula. If I had the choice I would prefer not to have them on my pages. Some of the links are to poor quality pages that are ouside of the subdomain. How about removing them - this may help.

Janderson, Paul's point was that the links on the end of Izzy's Hub are completely unrelated.

I am not quite sure what holding up three specific hubs is meant to be demonstrating. In fact  am fairly uncomfortable with staff picking out a specific hubbers work presumably for us to find fault with.

I assumed they were asking for volunteers in order for Hubstaff to try and work out which general factors correlated with having an issues so they could then give us generalized advice on how to avoid/repair the loss of traffic.

2. janderson99 profile image53

Have you looked at the "related" links HP puts on your page - many are very poor quality and poorly related - The author has no control over this.

For example
              Article: The Pros and Cons of Online Diagnosis
              Related Hubs:
              High Blood Pressure Symptoms
              Prehypertension, High Blood Pressure, & Children
              High Blood Pressure I Can Take It In True and False BP...
              Heart Disease in Women
              Recommended Foods and Nutrients to Prevent Heart Disease
              Five Common Sense Tips to Lower Blood Pressure without Drugs

Actually I agree,and I expressed concern over the higher profile of 'related Hubs' in the proposed new layout for that reason.

4. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might have implied in previous posts that Amazon hubs were problematic simply because they had Amazon affiliate links.

I hope I haven't put anyone off Amazon hubs in anything that I said. They can be great earners.

If you are writing an Amazon hub, though, it is very easy to over optimize unintentionally because there are so many keywords around commercial products. It is far too easy to mess up and I think you need to pay a lot more attention.

5. IzzyM profile image87

Poor old sexy cat hub! It's a Halloween one (obviously) written for Halloween and I must admit I was quite surprised to get up this morning and see all the hits it had received overnight.

It desperately needs updating! I see half the products are out of stock, or maybe stopped.

Plus this was one of the hubs that hastily got its products removed with the Amazon capsule limitations.

Yes it is keyword stuffed. It worked at the time. Within days of publication it was getting 100s of views per day.

Despite the fact that no-one has looked at it for a long time it still remains one of the most viewed hubs.

Last year it got to #1 or 2 in Google and I see it is now sitting at #11, which isn't bad considering most of my hubs have disappeared from the SERPS altogether.

I am reluctant to remove the unrelated feed at the bottom because it is a 60dc hub and this was part of our strategy, to each carry a link to all the hubs in the challenge, but will if I have to.

The 60dc tags I would want to keep because those feeds have been promoted offsite and so the hub would lose a lot of specially created link juice.

Not one of my best hubs. But Sexy Cat is one of my more successful ones.

6. sofs profile image77
          sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can take a look at mine too .. I have bad linked with my blog and a couple of places where I write..but no massive backlinking here.

2. viking305 profile image94
      viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I would be willing for any experiment too.  My account has fallen through the floor this last week. 

Lorraine

Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@viking305 I looked at your account and it seems to have gone down a little but within a normal fluctuation rate (Through yesterday).  That wouldn't alarm me.

3. psycheskinner profile image83

Here. Those are the only places I have linked from.

4. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can take a look at me Paul. I've pretty much left my hubs as is and haven't added much. I have dropped down, recovered and dropped back down to where I am to this point. Have backlinked on yahoo answers.

5. Eleanor's Words profile image94
      Eleanor's Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paul, if you could look at my account I would really appreciate it. My traffic has almost completely disappeared, where it was previously on the rise. I don't backlink or promote anywhere, although I did a very small amount of backlinks when I first started. I also don't have any other sites to link to. I do have a fair amount of links to my own hubs, but that's it.

6. CMHypno profile image81

You can take a look at mine any time - my backlinking is sporadic at best and rarely gets beyond Twitter etc, though I do use SheToldme and occasionally Snipsly

7. Ms Chievous profile image66
      Ms Chievousposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can look at mine if you want.. I do link a little between my other sites though.  I have been busy trying to clean up broken links and just getting rid of hubs I am not going to fix.  So far that has resulted in a slight increase ( meaning I have broke 300 views) But this is about a third of the views I used to get.

8. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

any updates?

31. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Simply looking at it from a viewers standpoint, the first repeats the heading 3 different times for each costume. I think it's obvious it's written for search optimization, and not the viewer.

The second is done well, but I think the personal touch is missing.
    And perhaps too many corresponding links. Are all of his hubs sales hubs?

The third is written well, personally connects with the reader and has appropriate amazon products to support his topic. His first paragraph makes me want to read more. I would want to read more of his related hubs.

32. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Highlight-My hubpages ad programme is ticking over slowly but surely!

(Goggle on the other hand,well are they alive still?) I cant find a pulse!

Big Ups and Thanks again Marissa for support.

Lowlight -Just deleted one Hub ,and working on another one that has been marked 'substandard'. Actually was a bit of a wake up call and hurt my pride a bit,no, alot lol But all good.

I introduced myself to Reddit, grabbed a cocktail and mingled with the crowd ( milk and toast actually). Good for me to get out more I think.

Yay, glad to hear it!

I just sent you an email that you need to check, quick smart.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Got it!
        All done tongue Thanks (again)

Maybe thats why my pav's always fall flat wink

33. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

My point wasn't to find fault - each of us has our own style. Some folks have pointed out they are doing well and some people said they have fallen.  The idea is these three hubs have a similar format.  Two of the accounts have fallen and one hasn't. When comparing them are there things you can spot that might indicate while one is doing well vs others are not.  Hopefully there are some takeaways we can apply to our content.

1. janderson99 profile image53

Another example of how the "related links" generated by HP are poorly selected

Article:
      How to Crack and Shell a Whole Lobster

Related:
      Lobster Shears
      Lobster Tales and Lobster Tails Creole
      Steamed Lobster
      Best Dessert And Appetizer Recipes: Mini-Tarts And How To...
      Simple Cheesecake Recipe - A Step By Step Guide
      Finding Things to Eat While on the Road in China

2. africainbusiness profile image57
      africainbusinessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi Paul.

About six hours ago, I discovered that the 335 hubs on my other account have all been unpublished.

Kindly advice on what is wrong and I will make amends.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'm concerned about this post. I have no idea what this other hubber's name is, but he just got 335 hubs unpublished? I hope his concerns have been addressed personally.

3. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please do find fault!  I am more than happy to correct any errors or issues that have caused this plunge.

4. sagebrush_mama profile image60
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wondering if HubMob feeds would be a concern?  I found I had a LOT of RSS Feeds that I never removed, just spent my morning fixing that mess!  However, I'm wondering if the HubMob feeds are okay?

HubMob feeds should be fine because they're all on the same topic. It's when you have feeds to unrelated Hubs, for instance your "latest" or "best" Hubs, that you'll have a problem.

1. Eleanor's Words profile image94

Marisa, I am one of the hubbers currently affected by a very sudden loss of traffic - am I right in thinking that you believe such a problem can be caused by having a link capsule at the foot of the hub with too many unrelated hubs?  I had such a capsule on most of my hubs with up to 10 hubs which were perhaps too loosely related (i.e. all linking to hubs on other children's toys or parenting articles, but not actually on the exact same topic). Actually I have started to hide the capsules on a lot of hubs in case that is the problem, but until yesterday they were visible.

Would appreciate your thoughts - what do others think?

I very much doubt it's the only cause but it could be a contributing factor.  Google needs to know what your Hub is about - if you have too much irrelevant material in it, that dilutes your keywords and Google will find it harder to work out what you're writing about.

Have you tried checking your keyword density?

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
              Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would strongly caution against working on any "engineering" of your Hub, including trying to up your keyword density.

Overly optimized Hubs, with too high a keyword density, will probably flag your content as being over-optimized. Over-optimized content seems to be rampant among those Hubs that were hit recently.

Making your Hubs truly authentic, aside from making sure your title is search-friendly, is what we recommend.

That's true, but it's also possible to stray too far the other way.

Writers are usually taught to vary their use of words as much as possible when writing.  So if you're writing about cats, for instance, you try to avoid multiple repeats of your main subject word by using pronouns, synonyms, metaphors etc. 

Writing online, I've had to unlearn that principle because Google does need to see a reasonable number of repetitions to 'get' what you're talking about.  When I used the keyword density tool on some of my early Hubs, I discovered I was "optimized" for words that had nothing to do with my subject!  I don't use the tool regularly but it was good to help me get a feel for the right balance.  I was just thinking Eleanor might find she has the same problem.

1. Jason Menayan profile image59
                  Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think most of that risk is dealt with by making sure that your Hub is focused on one topic alone. IzzyM's done a good job of keeping her Hubs topically focused.

I think the entire concept of keyword density is very dangerous; I think it can only do harm (going overboard and making the Hub keyword-stuffed and not natural- or authentic-sounding at all) and not help.

I really don't get why thinking about keyword density should automatically mean  you go overboard.  There's a world of difference between using keywords sensibly and keyword stuffing. 

It's the same as any other aspect of SEO - some people can go overboard with SEO and lose sight of good writing, but I'm sure you wouldn't tell people to ignore it altogether if they want to write a successful Hub.

2. Eleanor's Words profile image94

I just checked keyword density for one of my (previously) best hubs - didn't really know what I was looking for as I've never done it before. It was a hub about ipods for ten year olds, ipod appeared about 3.6% of the time. Is that good or not good? As for relevance, a lot of poorly related words came up at a rate of about 1% or less, but again I've no idea what I would be hoping to see.

On my hub about scooters, scooter appears about 4.8% of the time. This is the hub that vanished and suddenly reappeared in its former position. All the others are languishing in obscurity on google.

34. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I think the issue of over optimizing pages is crucial. I had a string of Amazon hubs sandboxed several months ago because I was over optimizing.

I was comparing product features by writing a section on each product. The product name went into a header, was used as a caption for the picture, appeared in the Amazon ad and was probably used 2 or 3 times in the text.

So something like "Super Whirlpool Dishwasher with Rat Strainer' could appear 5 or 6 times in a very small space, even though I was not trying to optimize at all.

As soon as I started paying attention to not over-using product names (which are also keywords), I stopped getting routinely sand boxed.

Nowadays I am very careful about anything that smacks of optimization- things like bolding or italicizing. Headers I am especially careful with. I won't use H2 headers at all unless it is a very long Hub. Even then, I will avoid keywords in those headers.

I am also especially wary of picture captions since picture alt tags were once used by black hat SEO scammers as a great place to stuff keywords. OK, captions are not alt tags so may be that is pure superstition. It is still easy to overload captions with keywords.

Looking at IzzyM's hub on sexy cat costumes, I would say it looks seriously over optimized on the headers front. If it was me, the first thing that I would do is get rid of all those H2 headers and use non-keyworded H3 headings.

As a seperate issue I would get rid of the 60 day challenge tag. It doesn't seem to relate to the content. When it comes to tags I will only use phrases which actually appear in the text of the page so there is no question of un-relatedness.

I would get rid of any feeds of any kind. They just seem to be trouble. They inevitably smack of SEO skulduggery.

This is not to say IzzyM has deliberately over optimized (I'm sure she hasn't) but it is essential to purposely avoid anything that looks even slightly blackhat if you don't want a problem with Google.

35. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Time to stop using tools and start engaging brains.

You engage your brain and then find the tools to help you - without tools we would all still be foraging out on the savannah somewhere

1. Will Apse profile image88

I made a genuinely serious comment there, Hypno. The whole SEO business online is predicated on being 'useful'. It offers tools to automate content, it offers tools to access content etc etc. Generally speaking it is all about milking the newbies.

Right next to the tools are the ads for Godaddy or the Keyword Academy.

If you are a moon struck calf who thinks there is gold at the end of the rainbow- go for the tools. If you want to make a living learn to use your brain.

Of course, SEO quake comes in useful at times. It is all you need.

If it was a serious comment it wasn't well expressed. There is a difference between black hat SEO, too much SEO, thinking about SEO, and "using tools".

2. SunSeven profile image61
          SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kindly use your brains and help us all, Not many of us have or use it as efficiently as you.

Please be our guide, 'cause some of us are blind and brainless. smile

What is seo quake btw?

3. CMHypno profile image81

I appreciate that you were making a serious comment, but there are tools out there which are useful, and if I find them such I will use them. 

I don't really appreciate your comments about moonstruck calves - the only thing I am interested in on HP at the moment is discovering why my traffic has plunged and how to fix it.  If I find a simple tool to find out keyword density useful, then it is my business if I choose to use it.

If you really want to help, talking down to people is rarely useful.

1. Aficionada profile image80
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

36. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

I'm sorry will - imo it's really just not any of that.

37. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 12 years ago

@ Will Apse.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Your pronouncements never cease to amaze me, and are the cause of much mirth.

regards,
    Eric G.

1. SunSeven profile image61

How dare you Eric? He is our guiding light. Since all the so called experts left he is the only one who stood by us and guided us through the swamps, hills and rivers of the googleland. Without him sharing his wisdom, all would've been lost! at least, for us blind, brainless orphans. smile

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
        Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, that could explain why everyone is complaining of lost traffic and plummeting earnings.

Actually, apse does serve a useful purpose.
        If you do the opposite of what he says and does, you'll probably be OK.

2. Will Apse profile image88

It is nice that you made Eric feel useful.

This is what you get if you Google SEO Quake:
        http://www.google.co.th/search?source=i … gle+Search

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
          Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, what an excellent response.

If Lister were here, he'd probably say something like:

"Will, You're SUCH a smeghead! "

2. SunSeven profile image61

Thanks a lot Bill. What about your brains?

38. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

As you may recall, I started this thread because a similar one had been shut down (see my OP at the start of this thread). There's been great info posted in this thread, and I'd hate to see this one get shut down, too. smile

I never noticed ,but ok.

39. thejeffriestube profile image60
    thejeffriestubeposted 12 years ago

13 views total today. Wow. Just wow. I don't really have anything else to say.

1. Ms Chievous profile image66

265 views now.. to my 360 hubs sad  I am trying to problem solve this on my own, but nothing I do seems to be working..

1. BaliMermaid profile image57
        BaliMermaidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am no expert on this but I have the following observation.

I did a check on one of your hubs to see if there was duplicate content out there that could be causing you a problem.  I used an online program called duplichecker dot com.

What came up was your own subdomain as duplicate of the first paragraph, sentence by sentence.

My spouse has the same problem on her hubs and has low traffic - just now recovering.

My hubs don't have the low traffic problem and they do not return as duplicated on themselves.

So I am not sure what all that means but it must be connected to the problem. You should write by email to the HP staff and explain and see if they can figure out what to do. The forums are helpful, and often HP staff pickup on things here. Just as often they don't catch something that might be important. Send them an email.

So there is copied content out there?  In any case I will email HP staff and see what they have to say..Thanks for your help!!  smile

2. Amanda Severn profile image95

Just logged on. I'm now down to 38. My best performing hub has drifted down so far from it's old page one slot that I can't even find it this morning. I'm totally mystified.

Yes, all my hubs that were on the first page or two cannot be found at all, even though all are still indexed. Many are still at no 1 on bing and yahoo, not that they bring much traffic. I am also mystified. Plus, you don't seem to have many links to your other hubs so that doesn't support my previous thought.

Strangely enough, one of my best hubs (that used to be on page one) has suddenly returned to its former place today after disappearing into obscurity. None of the others have, but it gives me a bit of hope that there is the possibility of improvement...

40. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

Okay - so if I understand this correctly, I have hubs on my jane@cm site & the same hubs at my new subdomain - so isn't this considered duplicate content?

If it's the same content, or if more than a very brief quote is identical, then yes it would be.  Have you had the same material on two sites for very long?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm talking about the hubpages subdomain - so when google sees jane@cm and janecm, its going to see the same content on the same website.....right or wrong?

I'm still a little confused.  Are the two "sites" you mean both on HubPages - the old account and the new subdomain?  If that's what you mean, then no.  I thought you were talking about a different website that had a similar name.  Sorry.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

If you mean the same content is on your old HubPages account and your new HubPages sub-domain, then it's not a problem because Google can't "see" your old account any more.   When the robot hits the old URL, it gets redirected immediately to the new one.

2. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jane, I understand what you are saying.  wink  You only have one HubPages account and it's your subdomain.  Your old account is no longer available, so you don't have any duplicate content issues.  Cheers!

41. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

For the last week my page views have been going down-its quite wierd. I mean ,usually I expect good days and not so good days ,but if it keeps up at this rate  yikes ,scary thought!

1. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've received less than 30 page views today with over 80 Hubs.  Regardless of how poor my writing may or may not be, these same Hubs (actually not quite as many as I have today) had received over 700 page views on their best single day.

My traffic has tanked!

42. Richieb799 profile image75

Hi guys, I just noticed the new layout and +1 button! great, Hubpages is staying in the game big_smile
    I haven't had much time to do backlinking, my traffic is still good, although all are fluctuating, my second and third best hubs have been trending between 200-500 views a day and I have other hubs which are rising up and down between 30-85 views a day. I can wait til we have stability again!

I'll be adding another hub later!

PS- is anyone still getting that broken link problem? I have another one black pyramid tonight and the Youtube video is working fine! grrr

Yep I had the broken link thing and the youtube vid was fine too -Grrr...

2. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same with me rich pretty much.

Maybe this will help...sometimes those broken links can be ones you link in the text.  It took me a while to find mine because it wasn't highlighted in yellow!  It was actually a link to a hub I had unpublished..  smile

2. Richieb799 profile image75

I've still been getting around 1800-2200 views a day which is pretty much Pre-Panda levels. My best hub slipped down a place yesterday from 2nd in Google to 3rd but is back up to 2nd again today. Its even up to first in Ask and it was 2nd.
        I have a new job now so I haven't been able to backlink but I think Hubpages are fighting up there. One of my personal sites over took a hub the last few days but the persons hub is still on page 1 for a 27K keyword.

43. becauseilive profile image86
    becauseiliveposted 12 years ago

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share a bit about what my experience has been like since switching to subdomains. I was admittedly very nervous when I voluntarily did the switch in mid-July. However, within five days all my hubs had been re-indexed, and my page impressions and clicks improved by MORE than 100%. It has now been one month since the switch and those numbers are holding steady. For the month of August (although it isn't over yet) I am tracking very close to pre-Panda earnings. I'm very pleased, and very appreciative of HubPages for being so solution-oriented! Thanks smile

44. Eleanor's Words profile image94
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 12 years ago

Plus, I don't even get my own hub when I enter the exact title - surely that is not a good sign?

1. Amanda Severn profile image95

That's the same for me. Prior to Panda, my only real competition for my best hub was EHow, but now totally unrelated sites with only a couple of words matching are ranking miles ahead of mine. There's no apparent logic to this.

45. muratos profile image59
    muratosposted 12 years ago

I have significant loss of traffic but it is early to talk about the overall affects. I will be waiting a few weeks before the action.

46. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

This is an update...

Since the 2/24 Panda, when my Hub views tanked to about 80 per day, they are now back up to about 350 per day, still less than the 400-500 per day pre-Panda views.

It's impossible to say whether the HP switch to subdomains accounts for this rise in traffic. On the other hand, there was no rise in traffic for me, until the subdomain switch.

In the mean time, I published only one Hub, so my activity here has been minimal at best.

Just thought I'd throw that out for your thoughts and reactions.

47. Uzdawi profile image73
    Uzdawiposted 12 years ago

For those of us who lost a large portion of their traffic:

Did You make a reconsideration request? Got an answer?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I tried (several times) but can't because on the form you can only use a site that is in the drop-down menu, and while izzym.hubpages.com is verified, its not on that menu.

What can I do?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64

same issue with me Izzy

Izzy - I figured it out.  Go to the "My Account" link at the top of the webmaster tools page and there is an option to "add" the account.  Refresh the page where you request reinclusion and you should be set.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks Mutiny. I am not seeing what I should click on because I go to My Account, (it seems to be all about Google+). I'll look again tomorrow.

Izzy, bear in mind that reconsideration won't do any good unless you've fixed whatever Google didn't like.

1. IzzyM profile image87

This is what is confusing. In the days since the drop, I have had one or two of my keywords returned to #1 position.

So Google likes some of my stuff but not others? I am penalised or I am not? If my subdomain was penalised, all of it would suffer, not just some or most of it.

I'm similar, all my hubs lost ranking but now one has reappeared just today. It is also a hub that I would consider very similar to most of the others - it is a sales hub selling scooters.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks, I finally got that sorted and filed a reconsideration request.

2. Eleanor's Words profile image94

I have not done that yet as I had issues linking my subdomain to my analytics account, for some reason. But now I've done that, I was planning to.

48. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 12 years ago

I haven't seen any changes.

49. Eleanor's Words profile image94
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 12 years ago

Ok, I emailed the team a few days ago as I was feeling pretty desperate about the traffic losses and this is the reply:

Hello,

We are looking into the possibility that heavy Amazon capsule use has resulted in a penalty from an algorithm tweak made in early August. Some of the staff members at HubPages saw similar traffic hits, and we are using their accounts to test this theory. We are trying to make some code-based adjustments to the site to improve search engine visibility, but those changes probably won't make up for this loss.

What does everyone think? I do have heavy amazon capsule use across a large percentage of my hubs - is the case for the rest of you?

it is for me.  Most of my hubs are Amazon product centric.

2. WriteAngled profile image74

I've seen a increase in views on this account since switching to the subdomain. My views have always been low, so maybe it is not a relevant sample from which to draw any conclusions. I've given up trying to backlink because it makes no difference. Nevertheless, today I had 24-hour views exceed 100 and 7-day views exceed 500 for the first time in months. I'm pretty well back to pre-Panda and finally not seeing more than half the hubs with 0 views for the day.

Most of the hubs on this account are informative essay-style articles, with just a few Amazon products. I only have a very few product hubs on it, mainly about things I have and love. I find it embarrassing to write sales hubs and feel they don't sit well with my other hubs. Therefore, last year I started a second account where I've played around with a few specifically sales-oriented hubs to see what would happen. Those hubs are currently lucky to get 1 or 2 views per week! OK, some of that is probably because I am really bad at sales talk. Being somewhat of an anti-consumer for many things, I find it near impossible to talk other people into buying them smile

3. janderson99 profile image53

What is heavy Amazon capsule use - Is One capsule with 7 products OK
      Why have we all not been informed of this? See Paul's latest hub - Is this the new model????

50. Jean Bakula profile image94
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

I haven't been writing product hubs, but just tried three. In 10 months, I never made one Amazon sale, or made a payout. I made apprx $17.00 after 80 hubs. I switched to the subdomain about 2 wks ago, and now my stuff fell like a stone. At first, I had viewers on hubs that didn't get much attention, but my scores stayed stable. I see much poor writing on HP, the poetry is pathetic. I thought that perhaps with the subdomain I would be recognized for being a better writer than some, and at first that seemed true. Now I have 11 hubs under 71, and it's the worst ever. I'm unsure what to do and am considering moving some to another place. I thought everyone had moved to the subdomain, then found that wasn't so yet. It could recover when all the hubbers have to change, and it may weed out the bad writers. But I'm not sure, and don't think the leaders of HP know either.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)