If money is the root of all evil, then what was the root of all evil before mone

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (70 posts)
  1. Dolores02 profile image60
    Dolores02posted 11 years ago

If money is the root of all evil, then what was the root of all evil before money was invented?

2. brittvan22 profile image75
    brittvan22posted 11 years ago

Actually it states the love of money is the root of all evil.

1. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i.e. greed - like Wall Street

2. Attikos profile image83
      Attikosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

... or presidential candidates ...

3. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 11 years ago

Pretty much what brittvan22 said. Physical money isn't evil; it's an inanimate object that has no emotions. It's the greed that comes with it that spawns the evil. And this is true regardless of what the currency is. For us now; it's paper money, for the cavemen it was whoever owned the most food, or had the best cave. Wealth equals power and prestige, but when too many 'good' things are associated with wealth, then people will do horrible things to attain it and then to keep it.

4. howlermunkey profile image72
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

Rocks. Especially the shiny ones. The bigger cave men used to beat up the smaller cavemen for the shiny rocks. Then they found gold, and very shiny rocks like ruby's and diamonds.

5. profile image0
    dunja-88posted 11 years ago

Satan is the root of all evil? Or is free will?

Dolores02posted 11 years agoin reply to this

free will allows us to do evil but it's not the cause. as darrell roberts said, "evil has to do with the intention of the mind and the heart." most of us choose to refrain from evil ways.

6. Attikos profile image83
    Attikosposted 11 years ago

I thought it was apples.

(This line added to meet Hub Pages' post length requirement.)

if that were true, i'd be in real trouble since i live in apple country!

7. cynthtggt profile image74
    cynthtggtposted 11 years ago

It is the love of money that is the root of all evil.  It speaks to love of the material.

8. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 11 years ago

Greed, no matter if it is for power, food, or sex is still the root of all evil. These things have been around far longer than what we consider to be "money" today. Money may look different in our modern environment than it did in the beginning of time, but it can still bring out the worst in some people.  Great question, Dolores02!

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

It's not necessarily money that is the root of all evil. Money is an inanimate object and can't really cause harm. The real problem is human avarice.

Avarice is the excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain, and that can mean money, power, stuff, sex, food, or anything else people can be greedy over. That is truly the root of all "evil." To get what they want, humans will manipulate and corrupt anything and everything.

Before money, it was power. When we no longer have money, it will be something else. Avarice can't be satiated. People always want more.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I probably should've read the answers before I wrote this lol

2. brittvan22 profile image75
      brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Dolores02 profile image60

no worries; i want everyone to give me all the answers they wish to give smile everyone adds something different

10. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Greed. It's an emotion fed by a desire to have more than one has, and its intensity can result in one doing many evil things to get what one wants.

11. pmorries profile image64
    pmorriesposted 11 years ago

I would say that women are the root of all evil,wait... that could get me in trouble. If you look at a biblical and historical perspective, when Eve ate the apple....I really never bought that either. Hmm, you see women... Okay, I better change the subject..

Algerbra is definitely the root of all evil!!

1. brittvan22 profile image75
      brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh no you stuck your foot in it. Do tell.

2. Cre8tor profile image92
      Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wha??? Well you look like a sad baby! Your statements are offensive. I love Algebra. You're a mathematical bigot and I'm gonna start a special interest group...The Algebraens. I know I'll get the female support!!! X + Y = RIGHTS! (love the answer :-)

3. pmorries profile image64
      pmorriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cre8tor,
      The Algebraens!? God help us all!

4. Sarah Christina profile image70
      Sarah Christinaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

wink Actually, men are the root of evil because Eve only ate the fruit because she was naive and fooled by the devil. Adam, however,  just ate it without questioning Eve or using logic because he wanted to get laid that night..she was naked, after all.

5. Attikos profile image83

Well, if you have to eat some forbidden fruit, is there a better reason?

6. Dolores02 profile image60

in my opinion, calculus is worse than algebra, so i disagree. x gets the square! wink

12. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I like your point in the question.
    So I suggest a similar question -- what was the root of all money before evil was invented?
    Money is a result of the art of putting man made value on things. Of course man made value is evil. As intrinsic value is true.

the word that comes to mind first in response to your question is trust. behind that is the thought that people trusted each other and money wasn't necessary. it may not entirely fit your question, but the concept of trust is my intuitive answer.

13. jaredbangerter profile image76
    jaredbangerterposted 11 years ago

Women are the root of all evil.  Here is mathematical proof.

GIVEN: Women = Time x Money
    GIVEN: Time IS Money
    GIVEN: Money is the root of all evil.

IF W= women
    T= time
    M= money
    E= evil

THEN: W = T x M OR W=T(M)
    since IF a=b then b=a AND Time IS Money

THEN: W=M2 (Squared)
    Since Money is the root of all evil OR M=sqrt(E)

THEN W=(sqrt(E))2 (squareroot of E squared)

OR W=E

THEREFORE Women = Evil

1. jaredbangerter profile image76
      jaredbangerterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol I find it amusing how many women disliked this.  Maybe because they don't understand math? tongue

That's quite a hole you're digging for yourself there, Jared ...

3. cynthtggt profile image74
      cynthtggtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this is absolutely hysterical.  Love it!  (You forgot the lowest common denominator factor)

4. Dolores02 profile image60

fortunately, math is a skill that is easily outsourced. smile

5. pmorries profile image64

I am not sure if this went out earlier, so I will say it again. Well done and I am quite able of getting myself in trouble without your help.

6. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow..lol..

7. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Balderdash!

8. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And evil spelled backward is LIVE smile

9. kallini2010 profile image79
      kallini2010posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Given: time is free, money is not, so time is not equal money
      Given: given time, women produce men & women (takes a long time)
      Needs to be proven: nothing
      Solution: Eliminate women (evil) - wipe out the human race.
      Math is dangerous. Or irrelevan

10. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think they dislike it because they pretty much understand math and see that your reasoning is flawless. Too bad Svet has already disproved it. wink

11. daskittlez69 profile image76
      daskittlez69posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol I am staying out of this, but I loved your answer.  If nothing for the good laughs and comments.

12. cynthtggt profile image74
      cynthtggtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To not see the humor in this is ridiculous.  As I said the last time (but accidentally posted before I could complete it) Jaredbangerter, you forgot to factor in the lowest common denominator, which is men!  Ha ha, gotcha.

13. kallini2010 profile image79

I don't know who knows me by my real name (or maybe "Svet" was not in referral to me) - however, speaking of math - as of this moment the votes went +5/-6, so I voted it up into +6/-5, simply because this thread was funny.

14. jaredbangerter profile image76
      jaredbangerterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol, yes I did forget that. ;] good catch there, cynth.  it's refreshing to see there ARE some people out there with a good sense of humor.  For the record, I honestly meant no offense to women through this.

15. Dolores02 profile image60

inability to forgive a perceived slight is another cause of evil.

14. Emmyboy profile image79
    Emmyboyposted 11 years ago

I beg to disagree because from all I have seen in my short stay on this planet, I think I can now say that money is not and has never been the root of all evil.

Money is good and without money the world will NEVER go around.

To me, the root of all evil is actually the LACK of money!

This is because when you seriously lack money, that is when you become more pliable and can easily develop that "by crook, or by hook" attitude to life, if you know what I mean.

I can't say exactly what was the root of all evil before the introduction of money and the subsequent lack of it. But on a second thought, I wouldn't put it past anything that is connected with women and/or sex!

15. Matthew Weese profile image60
    Matthew Weeseposted 11 years ago

Before money was invented (Religion) was the excuse behind mankind's ghastly deeds, So my answer will be (Religion) was the root to all evil, not to be confused with spirituality.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally concur with this premise!

16. Cre8tor profile image92
    Cre8torposted 11 years ago

Man is the root of all that is evil and all that is good. Without man, neither would exist.

17. Dolores02 profile image60
    Dolores02posted 11 years ago

@Emmyboy - sorry I messed this up the first time. smile Here is my response to your answer.

Certainly, I agree that the lack of money causes many problems. smile On your point that without money, the world would not go around, I think that, in our current world-culture, you are exactly right. However, I think money was not fundamentally necessary for our growth.

18. Jynzly profile image62
    Jynzlyposted 11 years ago

Let's face it...Money is good in fact very good; it is power; it is the medium to bring us all the good things in life; it is an important resource to perfect individual potentials and talents and an instrument that materializes our dreams to become what we want to be such as becoming a Doctor, an Engineer, etc.;it buys us food and other supplies necessary for living, and what more, it brings us luxury good, leisure and travels among others. How can it be the "ROOT" of all evil when there are more good things than evil ones that it can do to us?
    It's not having enough of it that is the root of all evils and most important, it's the evil mental attitude and evil intangible states of mind of less humane humanity; such as greed, criminal minds, lust, gluttony, lasciviousness...the list along this line can continue endlessly...that is the root of all evils. It's the sick MIND after all that is the ROOT of all evils...NOT Money, let's be fair to money so it will come to us easily, we all know how important it is in our lives.

i have heard that money makes good people better and "bad" people worse; you seem to concur with that, and i do, too.

19. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 11 years ago

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) 1 Timothy 6:10
    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The root of all evil before money was invented...it began when man saw himself separated from his true origin..

20. edhan profile image36
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Yes, money is the root of evil but it is our human hearts that caused it.

I do believe that there are people who are not sway by money but instead LOVE. Love is more powerful than money. So, if one can allow the human hearts to fill with LOVE then in the end, money will not be the cause of evil.

21. fresh2def05 profile image81
    fresh2def05posted 11 years ago

brittvan22 said it best. The love of material possessions. Greed. I believe money was created to place a certain rank on every human being. It was created so that some could rule and be in charge. Money is power and power is only wanted by those who wish to control. But we are only servants.

22. alvairs profile image59
    alvairsposted 11 years ago

Greed was and still is the root of evil.

23. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

Evil has nothing to do with money my friend.  Evil has to do with the intention of the mind and the heart.  You could be evil and not have a penny to your name or you could be evil and have billions of dollars.  What I would say is that the richer person has the potential to do much more evil than the penniless person all things equal.

Before paper money there was gold, silver, copper and bartering.  All these thing still have nothing to do with a person being evil.  It is choice and intention.  A person could make a bad decision and harm another person, the difference is was it an accident or was it intentional.

I hope that helps

Best wishes.

24. mvillecat profile image70
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

Greed can manifest from many more sources than just money. Greed is my answer.

25. catalinafr profile image61
    catalinafrposted 11 years ago

Greed and envy. As these two things made people betray (the worst sin as for me), lie.

26. sweetzara profile image75
    sweetzaraposted 11 years ago

Barter exchange was the root of all evil. smile

1. Attikos profile image83

It certainly is to the taxman, at any rate.

27. SportsBetter profile image62
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

There are greedy people. 

I think people would have less worries about money if it had value.

At one time we used to have gold and silver backed currency.  It actually held value and had high purchasing power.  Today we use paper fiat money. Paper money usually gets printed excessively and loses value quickly.

This is why you see prices rising.  This is called inflation.  So I don't think money would cause as much evil if it had value and people were able to take care of themselves with ease and be able to save. 

The question though was what was evil before money? This is a hard question and I think people were more in tune with nature.  I am sure people fought with each other over food and other necessities.

28. Virtuous1 profile image59
    Virtuous1posted 11 years ago

Actually what you are trying to say or shall I say the bible says it's the love of money that is the root of evil not money itself...

29. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 11 years ago

Hm..personally I've never believed money is the root of all evil. But if there is one root of evil I would have to say it is the desire to force beliefs on others. Historically, brute attempts to force others into a certain pattern of ideology and manner of life (or death) have caused more corruption, hardship, tears, poverty, torture, war and murder than anything else. Whether the the ideology stems from religion, political difference or just one mad man's delusional ambitions the result is always detrimental to those seen as fit for sacrifice to "the cause".

30. onegoodwoman profile image67
    onegoodwomanposted 11 years ago

It is NOT money that is the root of evil..............

it is the LOVE of money.......

do a bit more Biblical study to fully understand this difference.

You can HAVE money and do good things..........OR you can be selfish in holding onto money or in the gaining of money.

having money is not wrong in itself..........sacrificing a common good for money is.......................again, I invite you to study a bit more in depth.

31. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

That "love" of money comes from ego.

Ego is the root of all evil.

This is the false self which clamors for power, attention and self-importance. Ego is the source of tyrants, but also the suicide perpetrator.

Ego is made of the poison of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It is the essence of all earthly dichotomies -- good-evil, right-wrong, generous-selfish, compassion-indifference, wisdom-stupidity and many more.

Ego is that which seduced us to turn away from the spiritual viewpoint toward the physical viewpoint. As children of God, we used to have the power of creation and everlasting life. As physical beings, we lost that and depend upon the eyes of our Homo sapiens bodies in order to see, and depend upon the brain of these human bodies in order to maintain continuity of consciousness.

Without ego, the true self can reawaken and continuity of consciousness (everlasting life) will no longer require physical thought.

The coming storm is all about this battle -- between ego and the true self.

1. kallini2010 profile image79

In this sense, the animal world is perfect.  No language - no thoughts.

Don't say that to my dachshund, who knows exactly how to say she needs a biscuit, a walk, or anything else she wants.

3. kallini2010 profile image79

Atticus, I agree - animals do think because they are intelligent.  Anyone who has a brain is intelligent.  An animal communicates without language - but language is only a means to end - understanding.  Humans drown in words and lose meaning.

32. belleart profile image81
    belleartposted 11 years ago

Possessions maybe???? and Pmorries-really? blaming all evil on women?

1. pmorries profile image64

Nope, I made a joke about blaming evil on all women, and then  I said Algebra was the source of all evil; however, I was soon corrected and was informed Calculus was the real root of all evil.

2. Cre8tor profile image92
      Cre8torposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Algebraens!!!!

33. Rosana Modugno profile image72
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

I never believed money was the root of all evil.  I always thought man was, or greed.  That's like saying guns kill people, same premise.

But in answering your question about what came before money, it would be greed or arrogance, the need to have more than others in the term of quantity.  In that case, it could have been anything from wives to cattle to grain.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)