New Profile Design is Available

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 60 discussions (284 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey Hubbers! In the event that you did not see our blog post last Thursday, I want to let you know that you have the option to apply our new Profile design to your personal Profile.

To do so, click the "Upgrade My Profile" link visible on Profiles that already have the new design (all staff profiles have it).

If you have any feedback or questions about the feature, feel free to leave it here! Micki is going to have an eye on the thread, and I'll chime in when I can give an adequate answer. wink

I hope you like the new design!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I find the visuals totally overwhelming...too much confusion, too little organization.  Please let those of us who don't like the new look keep the old one.  It would make life so much easier for us.

1. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
        Kate Mc Brideposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The old profile layout suits me fine

2. phdast7 profile image81
        phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Time traveler is correct.  There are many hubbers who have made the same comment.   Hp needs to consider ALL its members, who produce the content where revenue producing ads are placed.

1. securityproducts3 profile image40
          securityproducts3posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, they really need to make it where we can switch back!

2. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just  switched over to the new profile and really really like it--  I rewrote my profile a bit to reflect the fact that I can't add my own links in the profile itself so of course I left out the sales pitch for signing up-- will we still be getting some $$$ if somebody signs up right after being on our profile? or is that all over and done with now-- just wondering.

I think the way you have it set up with our social media profiles  and a personal link up at the right is great.  Will there be a way to put in links to other social sites as well, like digg, stumbleupon, thruzt, delicious, and more than one twitter feed?  again, just asking

The new look is so cool and sleek an I haven't checked it on my iPHone yet, but I bet it looks great there too.  Thank you all sooooooo much.  Robie2 is a very happy camper:-))))))))

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As it stands, we have no plans on adding more social media profiles to which one can link; we're trying to keep things as simple as possible. I'm glad you like it though!

1. robie2 profile image77
          robie2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Like it? I love it!!!! I think it loads fast and looks great --and  I'm hoping you'll ad space for a couple of more social media profiles as time goes on..... but  Simone-- I 'm thinking the whole business of people signing up via our profiles and us getting a small percentage of their $$$ is gone with the embedded links in our profiles.... which is fine with me ( I was getting sick of seeing a sales pitch in every profile anyway)  but I'd just like to know for sure.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right, robie.  No hyperlinks possible in our profiles any more, which includes any invitations to sign up for HP.

Simone - no offense, but the new profile is not simple; it is substantially more complicated and cluttered than the old profile.  It makes it very difficult to locate hubs within a certain topic or subject.

3. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll switch over as soon as you guys fix the "white out" problem.  I'm using IE9 and, if you sit and watch the featured hubs cycle through, it goes through fine the first time and then it goes blank... and then it will flash the hub for a second, as it switches to a new featured hub, then go blank again.

I mentioned it before, when you first brought up the new profile design, but obviously no one fixed it.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bendo,

Update your flash and see how it goes when you have done that. Cookies in our browser are notorious for not always clearing out effectively and updating to the latest web pages we browse.

4. Kate Mc Bride profile image73

I keep thinking of moving to the new profile but I like it as it is. It seems that the new design allows you to choose what hubs to promote and the social site url option is also a good one.Will probably  keep checking in here for more information before finally taking the plunge.
      By the way,how soon is it going to be compulsory to use the new profile layout?

5. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like the new profile way better than I thought I would. It falls in line with current social networking, bookmarking, and curator sites, which have become more "visual" based. A lot of thought has gone into the new format, for sure. Of course, there is no way everyone will be pleased, but I'm happy. It works for me!

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These days, internet-wise, it's a whole new world every year. smile

It's starting to wear on me. lol

1. Will Apse profile image90
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is that why you are talking to yourself?

big_smile

Yep. And in addition I just saw the latest panda-update video.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
                  Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if, in fact, the below is actually truth, from that link, paradigmsearch:

"...but it must be remembered that Google does not want you to build a website for Google. It wants you to a build a website that captures the hearts and minds of your users."

Frankly, I've thrown in the towel on the whole game. That last video did it. It's all too damn complicated.

It is outside-the-box time.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Google wants you to create a website whereby your readers click on their adds, short and sweet, but oh so true.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                  Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What's a dub dub?

I did not post that link, though I did respond to the person that did. I rechecked it and it's a good link. I did a search for "dub dub", but couldn't find any reference. As near as I can tell, it is a derivative of "dib dib".

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Didn't think I would like it, but WOW. I am going to redo some of the pictures on my hubs especially the opening pictures.  The old style is  drab in comparison.

6. shampa sadhya profile image77
      shampa sadhyaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello,

I can't see any profile upgrading link on my profile page. Is it not available to all at present? Wish to know your reply,

1. jimmythejock profile image83
        jimmythejockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shampa, you need to go to a users page who has the new profile and click the link on their page.
        Go to simones page and you should find it there....jimmy

1. shampa sadhya profile image77
          shampa sadhyaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello jimmythejock,

Thanks a lot. Just now I have upgraded my profile according to your guidance. Once again thanks.
          Yes, thanks to HP for gifting us such a beautiful profile page. Good Job!

1. AgentAether profile image60
            AgentAetherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can you tell me where exactly is the link for the new profile page? Thanks in advance!

7. phdast7 profile image81

Hi Derek – Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.   My apologies for the delay in responding .   The new University semester began and we were having 12 and 14 hours days of meetings and seminars, etc.  I am sending this to you directly, posting it in the two locations you mentioned, and posting it as a comment on the original Hub.   All the Hubbers and I appreciate the chance to express ourselves and knowing that our comments and concerns are heard and considered by management.   We appreciate your help and feedback.

It is very good to hear that the font size and color  (# 1)  will  be adjusted.  That will benefit innumerable HP followers who would otherwise be struggling .   

I do not remember exactly what I was looking for (#2), but clearly things were not in their accustomed places (makes me sound so old).   Change is of course inevitable, but so much change all at once is hard for those of us who work a full time job, have a family, but are also committed to doing quality writing on HP.   The time I spend learning about a new system or design it time I am not reading or writing Hubs.

Your comment that, “most visitors are anonymous users that have never seen HubPages or your profile before so they will not be confused ….” is interesting.   What you say is true, but perhaps HP management should keep things in perspective.   For example, multitudes of visitors would not be coming to HP and clicking on the “revenue-producing ads”  at all, were it not for those of us (active members of HP) who generate the quality content where the ads are placed.
      With respect to my final complaint (#3) after looking at quite a few redesigned Hubs over the past several days, I suppose that none of the specific backgrounds is trashy in and of itself, but the overall look is often confusing and overly busy: there is a decided lack of white space or empty space and although I have no technical web, IT, etc., skills, I come from a family of artists, sculptors, and real-world designers and I do know what constitutes good design.   

The major mistake that new, and actually quite a few older, Hubbers repeatedly make is giving insufficient attention to white space, content spacing and arrangement, and the overall visual impression of the hub - some are hard to read, picture-less, colorless, interminable blocks of words with no paragraph breaks (OMG!!) and others are so cluttered and busy they (New Profile Design) are irritating and distract from one’s ability to attend to the content (OMG!!) . 

Not every Hub (or any for that matter) should look like a confused, and /or amateur version of an advertisement, and the New Profile Design does tend toward the second extreme or toward what could be called the “Facebook Look.” ----  I and apparently many of the HP Hubbers admire, appreciate, and post things on HP because it is NOT LIKE  Facebook.   That is one of HP’s great strengths.   -----  Thank you.   --- phdast7
      (2)- -- Forum topic on HUB HOPPING.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101715
      I do like the larger thumbnails and the ability to highlight certain hubs, but to me that's no substitute for the ability to find hubs that are organized like in the old profiles.
      I don't like the new FB home page and I don't care for the new HP profile page ... both very similar.
      I miss being able to put other writers' links in my profile.
      The background can get entirely too busy.
      I miss the most recent work of the hubbers.
      I liked the category of the writer's hubs.
      It is much harder for me to read.
      When looking at a person's profile to make a decision to follow or not, my appreciation of the "old" design far outweighs the "new."
      The condensed listing (old profile design) of writings of the author is much easier to view, instead of the cluster the new presents.
      I don't like that I can't easily see the most recent work of the hubbers I follow. I use that tool a lot to keep up with those who've supported me.
      Sad to say, HP is driving towards being less of a true writers site and towards being more of a Social Media site, along with more and more Q&A and "How to become a Millionaire" overnight Hubs, and less truly relevant writing.
      My only problem is when I clicked on Forums, it gives readers my posts. I don't like that. Also when I clicked on Questions, if gave me a list of all my Questions. I don't mind that.
      My score has gone down instead up after I changed to the new profile.  (Several people reported this)
      I do not want to be involved with a Facebook "wannabe."

Comments on the new Hub Hopper:
      What I DON'T like is the new hub hopper. Won't be doing that anymore and it was fun.
      But, the Hopper is a lost cause, much too time consuming to deal with.
      I will no longer Hop Hubs because I don't want to read every Hub and have to "grade" it before going on to the next one.
      I find the new hub hopper evaluation bars confining and irritating, by the way, though I did discover that hub hopping backwards trick you mention above. Sometimes I just don't want to read what's there, sometimes I'm just not gonna read what's there.
      I had asked the question a couple of days ago, "What does everyone think of the new 'Hub Hopping' processs?" And it was unanimous - did not like at all, and will no longer hub hop.
      I also decided that I will not be Hub Hopping anymore because I cannot skip the Hubs that don't interest me. I didn't sign up to "grade" Hubs, but to read those that I find interesting and useful, and to encourage the writers.
      If the "powers" are reading these comments I hope they will reconsider the new profile and the new Hub Hopper. I would guess that they will lose many Hubbers if nothing is done.

phdast7/Theresa Ast

8. Jlbowden profile image86
      Jlbowdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello Simone:

Could you, or some other member of the community chime in when you get a chance, to update me on the new hubpages profile page. Greatly appreciate the feedback because I am just getting back into the swing of things here in the community after having gone through a prior ordeal with a detached retina over the past month and a half.  Thanks again for the help and feedback.

Jlbowden

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi
      My background pic (uploaded from own pics) doesnt stay put!..uploads ok but not there when I close out and come back?

10. JayeWisdom profile image88
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not like the new design.  It looks as though it was developed by a twelve-year-old escapee from Facebook. It's too busy, and (to use a word we employ in the Deep South of the USA when describing something truly awful) it's terribly TACKY.  If I were just checking out the HP site for the first time now, I think I would feel differently about joining than I did two years ago. I hope it is not made compulsory for existing members to switch to the new version of the profile page. I don't think I will be the only HP member to hate it if that is forced on us.

1. phdast7 profile image81

Extremely well said Jaye.   Several of us have said and will keep saying (but is anyone in HP management listening) that it looks like a Facebook and Pinterest wannabee.    That is not who we are. 

And I am tired of hearing over and over from HP mgt and even some hubbers, that we must appeal to people under 25 (no offense to those of you under 25).    Is that really the age group who keeps HubPages going and filled with good articles, good art, and good literature?? 

Is that the group that supplies most of the content where revenue producing ads are placed??   Is that age group the ones who have made HP owners financially sucessful??   As clever and talented as they are --a platform is still just a platform until you add the content creators --and that is us. 

Think about it.

1. JayeWisdom profile image88

Perhaps the youthful HP staffers haven't considered how large the Baby Boomer group is, and an even older demographic (that uses computers whether it plays video games or not) is large as well. Altogether, we (as computer users who read HP writing and as writers who contribute HP content) probably outnumber Gen X, Y and Z.  Also, Baby Boomers and older HP writers are more likely to be better writers than the generations who can't spell or compose actual sentences because of an addiction to text-ing abbreviations.

11. JayeWisdom profile image88

I just read the HP Weekly newsletter and discovered the "option" to adopt the new profile design is now a "mandate", like it or not.  And I don't like it, but am no longer given a choice.  All hold-outs (such as I) will experience our profiles being arbitrarily changed to the new design on Tuesday.

Really?  I must have missed that announcement.

Yep, come Tuesday, you are doomed... big_smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
            lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh no!

2. agvulpes profile image85
          agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nearly missed it myself smile
          Just a small entry in the News Letter.  I would have thought they would have made the announcement with a Trumpet Fanfare ?

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I'm curious. What percent have converted already?

0.04%, which makes perfect sense as the option really only crops up on others with the new design. smile

Hurray! I'm a top one-percenter! big_smile

When are we going to get those adsense ads back on there. I've actually gotten some clicks from those.

I don't think we have any plans on adding it back, though Micki might know better.

1. MickiS profile image74
            MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey paradigsearch, Simone is correct. Currently, the plan is to leave off the ads. Of course, that's always open for re-consideration if there is a enough traffic or opportunity.

3. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

Simone I just love the new format especially the featured hubs (We can choose - Yay!) I've not yet switched over as I have to find the time to re-write my profile.

@Micki any way we can add some links into the text please?
    It could be like: Author name's other sites or something like that.

We're not likely to ever add back allowing links in the bio. However, you can add a link of your own to the top, right section (where the social media profiles show up).

There's been a feature request by several users to allow more than link in that section--which I'll look into (when I return from vacation next week ;-).

Ok smile Enjoy your vacation big_smile

2. MarleneB profile image91

Thank you for looking into it. I would be happy with the addition of a "Join Me at HubPages" button. It's clean and can be applied uniformly throughout all of the profiles.

4. garage-remotes profile image40
    garage-remotesposted 11 years ago

How do I switch to the new design? I don't see an option under my account settings.

1. garage-remotes profile image40
        garage-remotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

:-( Thanks. All my outbound links are no-follow now. I really wish that info was included in CloudExplorer's hub.

5. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 11 years ago

I just switched!  Love, love, love it!  smile

6. Ruchira profile image74
    Ruchiraposted 11 years ago

I switched to the new profile and love the new design.
    Thank you HP!

7. ktrapp profile image94
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone - I made the switch a couple days ago and love the featured hubs!

Here's a little "fix" to pass along: Where it says "last seen" there is an extra "days ago." In other words it says something like, "last seen 2 days ago days ago."

Yep, thanks, ktrapp. We've filed that bug and will get fixed soon.

8. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 11 years ago

I made the switch yesterday morning. It was simple & relatively painless.

I like the new look.

I have two suggestions: (1) Make the logo for the personal website larger or more visible. As it is now a visitor has to roll over it to know that the Hubber even has a website. (2) Have an option that allows Hubbers who have published books to include a link to their Amazon page.

Other than that, keep up the innovative work.

9. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

How do you get access to the 'stats' tab that used to be on the profile page that summarized traffic and pages?

1. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

OK - found the button on the Accounts page

10. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

I tried to switch, but my top hub doesn't show up in the drop down.  I think I should feature it, but am not sure. Ideas

I'm featuring my low traffic ones. I figure they're the ones that need it. big_smile

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
        tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

good idea

2. MickiS profile image74

Only Hubs that have photos will appear in the drop down to be featured. Could that be the problem, tireless traveler?

3. Kate Mc Bride profile image73

tireless traveller,
      my instinct would be to feature tht less read hubs because you already have readers for the poular ones.Does this make any sense?

11. paradigmsearch profile image61

One of my hubs I featured just got itself a purdy red arrow. big_smile

12. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

I made the commitment and switched to the new profile.  One of the problems that created hesitation for me has become a reality.

My Google + link is not being accepted.  I am under Google Authorship and the link we need to display on our page is not just the link to our Google+ profile. At the end of the "normal" profile link is "rel=author" which has be be there as the requested backlink from Google.

I had this set up in my old profile where I could place that link on the page and my hubs are displayed under the Google authorship in the searches.

The new layout gives me the error message "Google Plus Profile link is incorrect."

Unless I am able to place the link on my profile I will loose my Google authorship status within a relatively short period of time.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I saw a discussion on that in another thread:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100457

2. Simone Smith profile image87

Just add the normal link. We do the rel=author thing for you!

Wow, that simple? Well cool, Simone!  I know in on the old profile the "special" link was required.  I am heading that way now to add my Google+ profile link to my profile here.

It is good to know that the authorship thing will be taken care of my HP!

Thanks, and I do apologize for my impatience at times, lol.

2. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone, when I ran Robin's page through Google's Rich Snippet Analyzer, it wasn't pulling the author info correctly; it shows the author as Sandra Boynton.

I notice in the sourcecode that the link to Google is tagged rel="me nofollow" rather than just rel="me".

I realize that not all hubs get the Google royal treatment, and won't show author photo and links in search results no matter how you code the authorship link. But I find it worrying that I tried searching for hubs by several different Hubpages staffers, and didn't see the author info show up for any of them.

Whereas a lot of my hubs show my author photo and info. I did it the old way, building a link to my Google profile from my hub profile blurb, and it worked.

I'm chicken. Are you sure that rel="me" link works if you change it to rel="me nofollow" ?

And why nofollow that? I understand that Hubpages is conservative about linking out to anything, but to me, it looks fishy that we're disavowing links to our very own profile with rel=nofollow. If we tell Google not to follow that link...then it may not... right?

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
          Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is disconcerting. Have you had no reply from HP?

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have the answer for you. When I saw that our Authorship was lost with the new profile I tested using "nofollow" on my own website and Google Rich Snippets test showed that it failed. Then I removed the "nofollow" and it passed. So  rel="me nofollow" indeed should not be used.

The reason why you and I have our images showing up in Google and the staff does not, is because HP stopped using "nofollow" for all expect the staff. For some reason they never fixed that with the staff's profiles. At least not when I last checked last week.

The only thing that remains to be fixed is that HP does not allow the use of a regular Google profile for Authorship.  I mentioned this a few times and no one has addressed the issue. I don't think HP understands that Google does not require the full subscription to Google Plus just to claim our authorship. Many people don't want to have another social network, especially if they are already using Facebook.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61

I like the idea of having the ability to just select a solid color for the background if we want to. Those would be zero load times.

That's a great idea! I'd go for it.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ahh good thinking para. I uploaded a pretty landscape type pic ,but now it has disappeared-Odd?

But maybe I can change to solid color now. wink

14. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I like the new profile, a lot.  I was hesitant to update, but I think it helps the organization and structure of our subdomain.  I like that we have a glimpse, and links to each of our hubs on the page.  I also like the Show feature of hubs in categories.  It was tricky finding the right image for a background.  I know there are questions about best file size, image dimensions, etc.  It might help to hear appropriate file size, etc. from HP.  Here's a link to one of the numerous threads about the profile change.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101890#post2174441

I like the new profile, too. However, I'd go for idea of a simple background color choice that paradigmsearch suggested.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you seen para's profile?  smile  It fits him, or her.  (I'm not sure if para is a he or a she.)

All of our hubs have the same, nice background.  I think it's great that we can personalize our profile page with our own background choice.   Simone has a bright, colorful background.

I agree, rebekahELLE.  It is a great option. 

*now I await Simone's response about by Google+ authorship link question. smile

2. Horatio Plot profile image75
          Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Current conventional speculation postulates that elements of both may be present.... But in the nicest way possible of course.

Marina has been astute enough to notice that issue too, and filed a bug about it. Should be resolved shortly. wink

15. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I posted this on another thread, which apparently is no longer being monitored-

My problem with the new profile page is that in the featured hubs section the first photo on the page is automatically selected for display.

My first photos are almost always full width but shallow montages of photos on the page. These don't render well in the featured articles set up. In fact, they look a mess.

It would be better if we were offered a choice of photos from the page to feature.

Apart from that, it is a nice upgrade.

The way that photos in the carousel are being displayed is a bug that we've reported; we hope to have it fixed soon, but there's only so much we can do to make specific photo formats look good within that feature on the page. Hopefully this fix will help; if not, perhaps consider adding a slightly different to the top of some Hubs you would like to feature.

16. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 11 years ago

I have switched, but have two questions:
    1. I have tried several file sizes for my background, but the option to "tile" remains checked. From the forum below I have read that we should use 800 X 600 - I changed my photo to that size, but still nogo.

2. I don't care for anyone and everyone being able to see who I follow. Will that be changed?

Aside from that, I really like the new profiles!

We're going to be adding info on the necessary image dimensions soon, though I don't think we'll be changing the configuration showing who a Hubber is following.

17. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I agree with Red Elf that who we follow is personal information. That's different from who is following us; someone can see a name in that list but not know their personal choices of who they follow. Some very popular writers here follow only a small number of people. 

Overall, I like the look and feel of the new profile design. I am not seeing the tab for 'latest' hubs, and that might be nice to have again.  Sometimes I get notices about Hubbers who have published something new, and I rarely click on the link - I usually make a mental note and go to their profilecwhen I'm on the site so I can read their newest hub(s). 

Regarding links - I agree we should be able to put links in our profiles. If we truly have 'sub-domains,' the ability to add links seems a logical element of it. Otherwise, we are just content writers. At least, that's my thought on it.

The "latest' tab went away (along with hot and best).

However, Marcy, the list of Hubs underneath the Featured carousel are sorted by latest.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Micki - as long as there's a way to find them.  I completely agree it's best to get rid of 'hot' and 'best.' Those terms can inadvertently drive traffic away from hubs deserving more attention.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Marcy, I truly believe that's what HubPages wants.  The sub-domains were just a way to avoid a Panda penalty - in HubPages' eyes, HubPages is a magazine and we are just content writers.

Why do I say that?  First, our "presence" on our own Hubs, which was once prominent, was reduced to a tiny image (which would've been even smaller, if we hadn't created a fuss). 

Now, the changes to the profile also seem designed to discourage readers from staying within our sub-domain.   Simone has just confirmed that the "Search content by...." box will NOT be reinstated, which means people will use the main Search function to search the whole site instead of searching within our content.  And they've also added Hubs by other people to tempt the reader away.  So I really feel they're trying to de-emphasize us as individuals. 

Which is their right - after all, it's their site.  But it would be nice to have an explanation of why they think it's necessary.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it just? But I don't think we'll get one.

2. janderson99 profile image55

I agree its a deliberate policy to make the authors less prominent like the 'related hubs' at the bottom of each page. I don't know why, but its their call. It stops the individual subs from really shining and building reputation and the random links taints the rankings and pulls down earnings.

18. Dale Hyde profile image80

If there is a contact Dale link, I do not see it. I have viewed the profile logged out as well.  If there is one, could someone point me in the direction?  I do like that option as I do have quite a few folks contact me.

The link in on your Fan Mail page.  It's there.   I include the contact info on my bio.

Thanks rebekahELLE!  I see it now. I remember somewhere in a previous thread that someone had mentioned where to find it on the staff's profile, but I could not remember.  I think my memory is not as young as the rest of my mind is, lol.

19. profile image0
    Eric Mikolsposted 11 years ago

I love the new design! The featured Hub option is wonderful and I love the whole set up of it. If I would add one thing, it would be to give the option to link to Gentlemint and Goodreads. Why does Pinterest get all the love?

Because it sends A LOT of traffic. More than almost all other social networks...even before we started to give it love.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Despite experimenting with putting up a few hubs on that site, I have not had a single visit from Pinterest. It is only of use to people who write on fashion and similar trivia aimed at the uneducated sector of the female population.

I do not wish people who find my hubs on the web to interfere with my Facebook community, which consists solely of people I have met in real life or with whom I have had extensive contact through the web. Therefore, I will not enter a link to my FB profile.

I gave up on Twitter long ago; it creates far too much noise while providing minimal useful information, so that will not be appearing on my profile either.

Google Plus is a total waste of time. I have had endless people add me to some "circles" and never heard from them since.

The day you impose this ghastly new profile on me, I will set a monochrome background and feature one hub only so as to prevent the rapid and confusing cycling of words (too fast to read) and images.

Luckily, the vast majority of my visitors arrive through searches, so I live in hope that this awful, amateurish design will not affect my traffic.

I really do not understand why you are trying to force everyone into this ghastly "corporate identity". Why do you persist in treating people who write here like your wage slaves, subservient to your decrees on appearance and (lack of) style? I have my own persona, which belongs to me. As someone who despises the whole concept of magazines and never reads them, I feel the magazine look that is being imposed is detrimental to most of the content I present.

Thank you, WriteAngled, for saying what I think and feel. However, do not expect any response from HP administration, including Simone, as the only responses are going to those HP members who "love, love, love the new profile!!!"  The remainder of us, even though we may provide excellent content to make money for HP, are not considered valuable...apparently.

This change reminds me of the format changes in several print magazines that seemed targeted toward people with short attention spans who needed "bits and bites" of brightly colored and superficial content. There was nothing of substance left, and I stopped reading those magazines.

Wonderful, cogent, on point comments   WriteAngled.   Like Jaye, I could not agree with you more.  I wrote several emails, contacted the HP staff, wrote a couple of Hubs and truthfully they are not listening and they do not care...which I find unfathomable because without us their platform does not generate income.   This is craziness.

If we disagree, Theresa, we're simply ignored. You don't get any attention from the HP team unless you write that you adore the change, but I still dislike it. Even more so now that I've been to the profile pages of new members and longer-term ones who've adopted the new design. Now the newsletter tells us that every HP member's profile will be switched to the new design next Tuesday.  It's become a mandate, not a choice, with no more warning than a few lines in the newsletter and no advance discussion. I really hate the thought of what my profile page will look like after it's been high-jacked! My traffic will probably drop off to nothing (and I can't understand how that would help HP, can you?)

And still, there's no announcement from HP administration about WHY these arbitrary changes were made. I was an HR Director for a large company for two decades before my retirement, and any time changes were forthcoming that would affect employees, I ensured they received plenty of thorough advance notification. People aren't as likely to resent changes if they know about them long enough before they occur to become accustomed to the idea of change.  Even more important is explaining WHY the change is needed. Otherwise, it's demeaning.  I think the HubPages Team could use a good management course.

Well, the new (but not better) profile design has been forced on all HP members, and I've had several days to become accustomed to it and, you know what?  I STILL don't like it!  All the negative factors mentioned in this forum still apply. I think it lost more in the transition--for HP members/writers, at least--than will be gained, although I don't know what HP's goals are for the new profile format (since members were never enlightened).

To paraphrase that old saw about leading a horse to water...."You can lead an HP member to a new profile format, but you can't make her or him like it!"

20. Dale Hyde profile image80

Is my original question being overlooked, perhaps in error?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101908

It is about the Google link on the profile.

21. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 11 years ago

Simone, will everyone still be able to see who we follow?
    ...and though I tried to use the suggested format (Dale Hyde) I cannot get a "no tile" option. Will that be available? HP could always specify a file size (as with the profile picture).
    I am currently using a plain colored background (God bless PhotoShop) and it does load really fast, but would like the option to use one of my own photos, in the right size to load quickly and NOT tile.
    I like Marcy's idea of putting a contact me link in the profile. Will the contact button be made more accessible to the casual viewer?

I think that was someone else's idea in this thread, RedElf, but I agree with you that it would be a convenient feature. If the site is restricting links in the profile, though, I'm not sure how they could make an exception just for the contact link.

As others have mentioned, I like being able to contact other Hubbers, and I like having a visible link for them to contact me. Anyone not wanting to be contacted can turn off that feature (under the 'old' profile), but because it has greatly expanded my network here on the site, and because I like the feature, I'd sure like to see it remain readily visible.

22. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Right, just to reiterate, we don't want to switch to the new profile until the Google authorship link is working properly.

Losing it will have a negative effect on search traffic to our hubs, so please get this fixed before the change is made mandatory. Thanks!!

Rather late for me, as I have already switched "thinking" that this particular glitch would be one of the first that would be addressed.  It will soon be 24 hours since I switched and no longer am able to place the Google authorship link in my profile.

Like I said, this was never a glitch to begin with. The rel=author feature is built in to the edit Profile page, so all people have to do is cut and paste the link. Only a small portion of Hubbers know to add that tag, so we decided to handle the legwork on our end. wink

Okay, you talked me into it - that part was giving me some hesitation, but I will get to work on converting my profile now!  Thanks for having a great group of magic IT staff to work on the authorship thing.  I wasn't real clear what that was about, but it sure scared me off for a bit.

23. paradigmsearch profile image61

Well, I dinged around with mine for 3 days. I am now happy with it.

However, any featured hub that isn't getting daily traffic within a week is out of there. big_smile

So glad to hear it! And that seems like a solid approach.

24. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 11 years ago

I want to add my own picture to the background but it is only allowing a tiled background, and wont let my un check the box please help.....jimmy

You'll need a bigger image, Jimmy! I recommend using original files that came from your camera- nothing that has already been re-sized.

Simone-re:your comment above. Of course HP is a community but do we have to copy pinterest on our front pages?The current profile is great and the hallmark of Hubpages for our readers for so long but it is good to see innovation and change too (maybe)I need to just move on to the new profile and shut up about it lol.Hope the new profile woks for the site in general.

25. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 11 years ago

I actually really like the new design of our pages! I think its a great visual to attracted other readers and helps the readers connect with us on a larger scale (other social networks available).

26. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 11 years ago

I love it!  Nicely presented and compact.  smile  good job!

27. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 11 years ago

I love the new profile design and have been having fun viewing the profiles of others.
    I finally upgraded mine today and like the ability to choose which hubs I want to feature. I think HP staff did a great job at developing this.

28. paradigmsearch profile image61

Sanity check for paradigmsearch. big_smile

A. Did the text just get a tiny bit darker and/or bigger?

And/Or

B. Did the width just get a tiny bit narrower?

Let me guess, you put on your reading glasses again? Lol!  When I put mine on, things look different for me! smile

big_smile

I'm really wondering, because for the last 3 days I could barely read that light text. Now I'm seeing it without straining, and what I bolded is now too dark for aesthetic purposes. And the text is taking up more room. And I did ctrl+0 to be sure the browser wasn't messing with me. And I'm wearing the same glasses. big_smile

I am not noticing the changes, however, I have only updated to the new profile about 24 hours ago and have not viewed it a whole lot. But, I did just check and it appears easy to read, that is looking at the member profile information.

Yep, that's what I'm referring to. I've got it fixed again by swapping 2 words around. The long word went down to the next line, the short one doesn't. All is well in HP land.

Phew! What a relief! smile

I know. I thought the world had ended as we know it. big_smile

I hate when that happens! smile

You just gave me my first true LOL for the day. lol lol lol

About a week ago quite a few of us  who are over 40, complained about the light gray font and how difficult it was to read.  HP sent back word that they were going to address the color and size of the font so that it would be crisper and easier to read.   I think that is what you are noticing.   smile

Thanks! I missed that little announcement. I'm glad to know I wasn't imagining things. big_smile

29. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Marisa, I don't think this is true at all.
    All of our hubs are easily found on our profile page, and if you know you want to find a specific hub, simply click Show all [hubs] and click on the category. 

HP - I have almost all of my hubs listed in the drop down box for featured hubs, but the one hub I wanted to add tonight is not listed.  Is there a reason why not all hubs are listed?

Staffer posted that that happens when there are no suitably sized pics for the carousal. Or maybe it's just that the first pic is not big enough. I forget which. It's probably all the first pic's fault. big_smile

Yes, you're right. Thank you for the reminder.  smile That's what it is in this case.   I'll figure it out tomorrow.  It's late.

Yeah, thankfully there's a simple fix- simply find a better image to add to the Hub! big_smile

I'll give you an example. Yesterday, I came across a Youtube video on shoulder exercises. The author mentioned she'd written a Hub on the subject.  I went to her Youtube profile and found a link to her HubPages profile.  It turned out to be Simone!

If she still had the old profile, I would have typed "shoulder" into the "search content by" and found the Hub straight away.  But with the new profile, I have to select the category, then browse the category until I find it.  She has 40 Health Hubs, so it wasn't too hard to scroll through the category - but what if she'd written 200 Health Hubs?  I would probably give up, and she would lose a reader.

30. mary615 profile image81
    mary615posted 11 years ago

I really dreaded changing over, but I thought I'd just better "bite the bullet" and do it.  It was so easy, I wonder if I did it right! 
    Someone mentioned Pinterest.  I get some decent traffic from them, so I like that button.
    I'm not fond of the ability of everyone reading my Forum posts.  I'll be very careful what I write in the Forums from now on.  Other than that, I like it.

1. profile image0
      KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, change is a difficult thing, but necessary smile I do like how we can have our pinterest, twitter, facebook, linkedIn, and our own personal websites on there as well. Everything else I feel fine with (although I understand where you're coming from with the Forum posts). I think it may just take some time getting used to smile

This is our general view- change can be stressful, but we've thought very carefully about these updates, and have made them with the best interest of the Hubber in mind. smile

1. janderson99 profile image55

Can you please list the benefits that relate to "best interest of the Hubber in mind" rather than to HP.
        Some of the negatives are:
        => truncation of the profile text that displays first up to the first 500 characters
        => removal of the do-follow links which helps builds authority
        => removal of the search within sub facility
        => links to 'related authors' which may be 'bad neighbors'
        => displaying all the forum posts
        => omission of hubs that don't have an appropriate image

Its your call, but these things were done for a reason.

I have no problem with the new layout.  As mentioned, change is usually hard to accept and get used to, but things do move forward.  I would feel that what is in the best interest of the author is also in the best interest of HP due to monetary gain by both parties.

My only concern was addressed and was already a "fix"...that was the Google authorship link that is being taken care of by HP staff.

2. SmartAndFun profile image92
          SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would also like to know what benefits these changes offer the average hubber.

3. phdast7 profile image81

Thank you for a great reply.   I can deal with changes, but don't try to sell me garbage and call if fruit salad..

HP changes things to optimize profits, designing things to suit hubbers is a secondary or perhaps tertiary concern.   That's OK..HP is a business, just don't try to sell us a bill of goods about making these changes to benefit the hubbers.

How would HP know what we want or need? They never asked us.

Change simply for the sake of change is not necessarily positive or progressive. Benefits for hubbers? There are none. I won't change unless forced to do so, and if that happens, it may be the catalyst that sends me elsewhere.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
              Whitney05posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaye, I definitely agree with you! They've been making so many unnecessary changes lately. HubPages used to be a place for writing, but now it seems to be a place trying to copy social networking in its appearances.

I used to make over $2000 a month using HP, now I'm lucky to make $800. I realize that most of this is due to Google changes with algorithms, but maybe HP should focus on traffic drops and not silly changes like adding a background image to profile pages.

We're going to be like myspace soon... Junky and an eye-sore.

2. Kate Mc Bride profile image73

You are right-the change is stressful. I do not like the new profile format but i appreciate that HP has to move with the times. There won't be a word about it a week after the change is made but I might wait until I have to do it-trying to get the courage to change it now when we have the option but it's not happening lol

31. Will Apse profile image90

I think people are making way too much of profile pages. I seem to remember getting around 100 views to my profile one month but I think last month it was around 30. This might increase with the new set up but I don't expect to ever get significant traffic via this route.

Tying profile pages together with links should help SEO wise. Getting rid of promotional links in profiles should help with authorship authority. Just don't expect much traffic via this route.

Its the visitors from the SERPs that matter.

I agree 100%.  Our visitors come direct to our Hubs, not via our profile.  My gripe is that my profile is a PR4 and therefore it was a good spot to place links to other sites.Would you care to explain how "getting rid of promotional links in profiles should help with authorship authority"?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound like 100% agreement, Marisa!  smile

I meant, I agree 100% with Will's statement that we get our traffic from the SERPS, not via our profile.  The loss of backlinks is a different issue.

Getting traffic to individual hubs is a lot of hard work which is why I prefer the old profile. More to the point,the hubs are categorised on the old profile and the reader can choose better.The new profile looks like advertising to me but each to their own.

1. SmartAndFun profile image92

I agree. For those with a large number of hubs, the new profile lists too much to wade through. I also prefer the categorized layout, especially since there's no more "search content by" option. If I'm interested in someone's dog training advice I don't want to muddle through 200 recipes to find it.

Far too much to wade through as right.It is just not as professional or user-friendly as the current profile.Also.it will be time consuming to maintain-dragging and dropping hubs.Am going to ask if I can keep old profile.

Sorry to be discouraging, but "Good luck with that."

Kate Mc Bride, do keep in mind that if you leave those dropdown menu slots blank, the carousel will simply feature your latest Hubs that meet the basic image requirements. You don't actually have to maintain it. smile

That is good to know-thank you for tettling me that because the main reason I like the current profile is that one can set and forget it. As long as the new one is the same I will just have to get used to the idea of  the graphics now-it is just a matter of moving with the times,isn't it.Cheers:-)

2. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did either of you try using the "Show" button on the top right of the bar (just below the carousel, just above the selection of Hubs)?  It enables sorting by category.

No, I didn't even see that. Thank you. I do wish it was more visible and obvious, but at least it's there.

Me neither. It took me some time to find it, even though Aficionada told me it existed, so I was actively trying to find it.

If it's invisible when you're actually looking for it, casual visitors wont see it at all.

1. Aficionada profile image80
                Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It definitely needs to be labeled better! My hunch is that that can happen, and I hope it will be done soon.  My vote would be for something along the lines of a phrase like "Sort by" or even just the word Categories or Topics.

1. profile image0
                  Giselle Maineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree.  I found the category sorting tool myself, but it's not easy to find. When I'm deciding whether or not to follow a hubber, I still prefer the old system when I could see at a glance (without having to click any buttons) what topics they would write about.  This was particularly important to me when following a hubber who writes on a several topics but I'm only interested in one of them.  This is the main reason I have not switched over to the new format yet.  The new format is great in terms of bio, overall look, etc, but in terms of showing the articles written by that hubber (which for me is usually the 'interesting' part) I much prefer the old profile format. 

If they had topic-sorting up-front (or showed the breakdown by topics as a clickable onscreen link instead of as pop-up) then I would like the new profile format much better.  But in this specific area, I believe it lags compared to the old profile format.  I think the new format is superb for showcasing the bio; on the other hand, the bio (my own and those of other people) are not what I find interesting.

Thanks so much for that information.Categories are important when people want to choose what to read.Now I can move to the new profile in peace!

32. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 11 years ago

I'm only relatively new here do the new change does not bother me much. I quite like the featured hubs section and the quick links to pinterest, fb, website etc.
    However I miss being able to add links into the free text including a referral link and I'm not very happy to have my forum posts and questions on display. Why would anyone want to read those specifically is beyond me. Especially people outside hubpages. I think that is a wrong move. And I don't quite understand the other hubbers you may like section. But other than that I'm happy.

1. mary615 profile image81
      mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the Forum and Questions on display.  Why???  I also agree with the "other Hubbers you may like" section.
      I like the new profile other than that~

To be honest, referral links were never designed to be used in Hubbers' profiles; they are meant to be used offsite.

And we display Forum activity and Questions to show just how active our Hubbers are within our community- and to demonstrate the various resources our site and Hubbers have to offer. smile

Actually I got 15 referrals through my profile smile None any other way. Not that they went ahead and wrote many hubs, but they did sign up

33. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 11 years ago

I just changed mine. smile

Very nice!

1. ripplemaker profile image77
        ripplemakerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you rebekahELLE... smile  Just your profile as well....hey you have topics on preschoolers, will check it out!

34. Thelma Alberts profile image91
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

I have just changed into the new profile design. Now, where can I find my statistics, earnings, views per days, etc....?

That is all available under the My Account section.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image91
      Thelma Albertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SORRY GUYS! It´s only the profile changed. I think I have to clear my brain, lol. I have just spent 5 hours straight  here in HP. My brain needs recharging now. See you later;-)

I like generating traffic to my profile instead of to individual hubs so am not happy with the idea of changing it. Does anyone know how long more we can keep the old profile layout?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Katie,

This is through personal experience.

Hubs found through my own personal searches on Google, Yahoo & Bing - over 3000.

Hub profiles found through my own personal searches - 17.

35. Will Apse profile image90

Someone in another thread was wondering if she suddenly lost all her Google traffic through a change to the new profile page.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/102015

If you look at her summaries they are very long and close to the text on the pages.

I reckon HP should have a look at the issue of long summaries before they force a mass change over to the new profiles.

Summaries displayed on the 'more pages' of the old profile were cut to three lines. Might be worth cutting summaries in the new profile or strictly looking at the impact of duplicate or close to duplicate stuff.

1. aa lite profile image85
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is me who has lost all Google traffic, a couple of days after the switchover.  The alarming thing is that this isn't because of a drop in ranking, but that my hubs don't seem to be indexed anymore! Only my profile page is. 

Of course this might have nothing to do with the new profile, Google might be offended by something else.  I don't have any messages on my Webmaster tools page (yet).  It might also be a glitch. 

But perhaps it is caused by the fact that my profile page now has more content from my actual hubs, Google thinks that it doesn't need to index the hubs.  This is a particular problem with hubs that don't have summaries, since their first paragraph is being quoted verbatim.

Just checked one of your hubs and it seems to be indexed...

Could you let me know which one?  I have been re-editing them and pinging and I think some of them came back, but many are still MIA.  It's all very weird!

Hmm I don't remember - it was either the 2nd or 3rd from your featured hubs

checked history - breeding neon day geckos mummy ate the eggs

Thanks, actually more of them are now appearing back.  When I checked yesterday, I couldn't find anything, nor could other people.....Now if they could just return to their previous place in the SERPs!

Hope they do! I never knew that could happen all so suddenly...

36. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I realllly like this new profile-- it just jives well with me. However, when I'm trying to add featured Hubs using the drop-down menu on the edit my profile page, not all my Hubs show up. In particular, I wanted to put in my most popular Hub, and it just isn't listed... has this been addressed before or am I just a bit slow?

The only Hubs that show up are ones that have photos as a photo is required for a Hub to display in the Featured carousel.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense... the one Hub I want to use is one that has a photo, but it's not in the first capsule-- it's right beneath it. So the photo has to be at the top of the article?

37. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

This is so pathetic. In order to feature a hub, it is now necessary to submit a graphic, regardless of whether this does or does not add to the information. Thus a hub with no graphic will not be featured, but a hub with a picture of a dog turd garnished with the appropriate hub-specific tags will be featured?

Ridiculous!

1. Will Apse profile image90

lol.

Be honest, Writeangled the only thing that you would truly approve of is the Proceedings of the Royal Society, circa 1800, read by the resurrected Sir Issac Newton and with all but Doctors of Philosophy firmly excluded. Then you could have a nice chat in Latin.

This is a rather poor translation I made of 'The sum of the angles of a right angled triangle':

summa of Angli of a vox Angli triangle.

http://www.stars21.com/translator/english_to_latin.html

Hmmm...

Actually, Latin was my most hated subject in school, apart from sports.

I only enjoy it when it is sung.

Were I transported back to Newton's time, I would choose a discourse with Johann Sebastian Bach or Blaise Pascal over one with Newton any day! smile

However, my concern is with the fact that authors are being coerced to use images, whether they think these are appropriate to their material or not. The punishment for those who choose not to use images is to have their articles excluded from display.

Summa anguli trianguli rectanguli

Submitting graphics for their own sake is a bad idea anyway and can distract from content as well as being in appropriate as you say

38. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

I upgraded mine but I wish we could have a link section with 3-5 links maybe at the bottom. It's unfair not to offer this when it would only require a few lines of code.

Other than that I really like the way it looks.

Just please consider letting us have 3-5 links even at bottom of page.

39. Kate Mc Bride profile image73
    Kate Mc Brideposted 11 years ago

What I don't like about the new profile is that it is too busy.The hubs are "in your face" instead of having a wider selection of hubs for the reader in a smaller space.It looks like a pinterest board or stumbleupon home page.Hubpages is a writer's site,not a social media one.

To be fair, we often call ourselves a user-generated content community, and we do see ourselves as something of a social network. One of the most valuable aspects (if not THE most valuable aspect) of our site is its amazing community. Would you not agree that this social aspect of our site doesn't make it something of a social network?

I would agree, there is a large social segment that is incorporated within HubPages and the community here.

2. profile image0
        KDuBarry03posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, even though Hubpages is a writer's website, I view it as a unique social website for writers (showing new hubs, hubs they wish to feature, so on and so forth). With us being able to now share our twitters, facebook, LinkedIn, and other social network platforms, with greater ease, only enhances the chances of networking within this great community, in my opinion.

You make a good point.There is a need to move with the times.I just think that the current profile works well, so why change it? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84

I think there is still a misinterpretation of what social media is and does.  Too many still associate it with a status update about what we're doing or how we feel.  It's much more than that.  It's building presence and relationships with those who in turn share relevant info with their 'network', who share with theirs, and on and on.  It's about making connections.. at least that's how I see it and use it.

Although I see social aspects on HP, I don't consider it a social network.  But the community is vast and interesting.  HP wouldn't be the same kind of writing platform without the community interaction and support.

I agree on both points

+1

4. Marisa Wright profile image87

Interesting response and perhaps indicates where HubPages sees itself going.

My concern is this. HubPages wants members who are good writers, writing quality articles.  The community exists to allow writers to support and learn from each other, and create an internal readership - not as an end in itself.  If HubPages presents itself as a social network, it encourages members to join for the social network, not for the writing.  That means they're more likely to play follow you/follow me games, ask stupid questions, write personal blogs as Hubs etc - which only makes more work for the HubPages moderators.

5. JayeWisdom profile image88

Simone, I think there is a big difference between a "community" of writers and a "social network." I'm here mainly for the writing--both publishing my own and reading that of other good writers.

It's a pleasant side effect that I've made some friends on the site, but that does not make HP a "social network."  These are people whose writing and personalities I admire.

Conversely, there are many, many HP members (writers by their own description, but not by mine) with whom I do not wish to communicate or "friend", much less read their published words.

By the way, it doesn't seem such a good idea (to me)  for HP to be emulating Facebook at a time when that social network continues to lose U.S. and Canadian users who are disenchanted with the site.

40. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I'm waiting for the bugs to bug out.

41. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

I am a patient woman.  No rush.  I have many photographs to add to my Hubs.  Or move around.  I already slashed some 230 Hubs down to nearly 100.  Traffic has improved, but the new profile's layout reminds me too much of Pinterest.  It's busy, busy, busy.  So, I guess this is what is known as HubPages "progress?"

That is the main problem as right and having patience is the best way.
      Did you  ever hear"God give me patience,but hurry" lol

42. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 11 years ago

Can you no longer view all of the Hubber's hubs in this new profile?????? hmm All I see is featured hubs.

I'm not fully familiar with this new layout yet.

Previously there was recent hubs, hot hubs, best hubs, and more hubs.

Scroll down the page and all are there, that's what I noticed. The person you saw may have just a few hubs - all of them featured smile

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

The new,best,recent feature is a great one as right.There something to be said for "If it ain't broke,don't fix it" but the nature of the internet is change for the sake of it and Hubpages is just moving with the times.Wish the new profile was as good or better though-it would be no problem to change over if that was the case

43. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 11 years ago

Am I to understand that in the new profile, we can no longer link to our blogs, etsy accounts, etc? Why would HP disable this?

You're right Dolores Monet.Some people are saying you can link only to facebook,twitter etc. but I looked at it-there is nowhere to even do that as far as I saw. I like reading people's hubs and it is easier to choose on the current profile page.I appreciate the value of graphics but it is so "busy" on the new profile and the page is too long.What do you think yourself?

1. Dolores Monet profile image95
        Dolores Monetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kate, I really enjoy checking out hubbers blogs or etsy shops, especially if I like or follow the hubber. Also not crazy about displaying our forum posts - if we are grumbling about HP, we don't want people to see that right off, but should leave our complaints in the forum where it belongs, as comments within the community.

2. WriteAngled profile image74

Simple, HP does not want us to link out of the site, because then we will earn money instead of them.

That is likely to be the case and it is unfair but I think it is about more than money WriteAngled.There is an ownership issue too.The interface is user-friendly on the site,the standard of writing is good but we contribute with content that belongs to us and as ambassadors for the site,we have a right to link to our blogs.That's not being self-promotional,it is just fair play.
        I just don't do facebook or twitter.Some people say there is a place to link to them but I didn't see it yet and it is of no use to me anyway. Google,twitter and facebook don't own the internet

Far more to the point, there is no way for readers to contact a writer on the new profile like there is on the current one-no option for networking,

That option has been hidden under "Fan Mail". smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

Look for where it says "Links". smile

http://hubpages.com/my/profile/new_profile

Thank you paradigmsearch-your link was useful-it gives lots of choices in fairness to Hubpages-now I know where they are on the dashboard so just have to look at a new profile to check navigation before I take the plunge...if I take the plunge.Cheers:-)

3. WriteAngled profile image74

I am NOT "an ambassador for the site". I write here if I consider it to be in my interest. If it stops being in my interest, I will leave without a backward glance. HP provides me with a platform, I provide HP with free content that earns them money. I do not owe this site anything.

fair enough.I take your point

2. MarleneB profile image91

Is it wrong for HubPages to make money? After all, we ARE using THEIR platform. Right? We have to keep at the forefront of our minds that we are SUB domains of HubPages. We WANT HubPages to be successful. If the HubPages main domain is not successful, then we ALL fall down and go boom.

I tried setting up my own online publishing company as a main domain. Trust me, it is the most difficult thing in the world to do - marketing, advertising, etc. It all costs time and money. I'm not up for all that stuff.

When I discovered HubPages, I was delighted that there was a company that would do all the front work and all I had to do was write and publish articles/hubs. HubPages gets paid and they share the revenue with me, hense, isn't that the elephant in the room? We are writing for a "revenue SHARING" company. If we want 100% of the revenue, then our best bet is to set up our own company and do all the front work, as well as the writing.

Well, I pass on all that other stuff. I just like to write and if HubPages is willing to promote my work, that's quite satisfying to me.

This month so far I have not added any fresh content anywhere and have made about ten times more on my personal sites than I have made on HP. I do not market/promote my sites in any way whatsoever and only add content when I have the time and inclination.

HP makes money because authors choose to share their work through this site. It is a situation of fair exchange. HP can only be successful if its subdomains are successful, because the only content that earns HP money is the content that appears in the subdomains.

If HP considers the risk of having external links is acceptable within hubs, the same should apply to profiles. Some readers will follow those links, others will not.

In my opinion, HP stands to lose far more money if authors start to desert it in droves because they are not happy with how they are being treated than they will lose if readers sometimes choose to follow an external link rather than look at another page on HP.

44. Dolores Monet profile image95

So it looks like you can link to a website? I am seeing people here that say you can't. Oh this is all so new! It looks like FB's new timeline. Maybe "we" are trying to appeal to the younger set. But I think that I read somewhere that nearly half of the outside readers who visit hubs are women of a certain age, say 40ish  - 70 ish, with some college. Do we want to chase that large readership away with the wishy-washy gray font?

I don't want to be an old poop and dislike anything new. For instance, I loved the HP ads (cha-ching) and the personalized domain thing, best ideas HP ever had. But sometimes change that is just copying off somebody else is not the best road to follow.

45. Dolores Monet profile image95

Okay, I went to Red Elf's profile and saw the little icon for her website. This link looks puny and doesn't pack the punch that the embedded link did.

46. Dolores Monet profile image95

But choosing your own background looks like fun!

I must disagree. 99% of the backgrounds I have seen on the new profiles here look far too busy, amateurish, tacky and totally off-putting. When added to the overfast cycling of featured hubs, the net result reminds me of some examples of "worst website designs" that are featured around the Net as examples to avoid.

The background problem might get better, if HP could finally tell us what dimensions the image must be so it doesn't get tiled.  I've spent some time trying to get mine to work, and no matter how big I make it I don't get the option to unclick the "tile" button.  There is only this much time I'm prepared to spend on making my profile look nice!

You are right Writeangled,it is a bad design.
          aa lite,you have pointed out the worst problem with it-it is too high maintenance and the tiling should be optional

2. 2uesday profile image66
          2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had the same problem to begin with but now have an image that is not tiled. Only trouble is I am not sure which version of the image I used - it was either the 1600 X 1200 or 640x480. Not sure if that is helpful to you or not.

It is useful to know thanks but there is no point in me going there-haven't the technical skills.It is good you have made the changeover anyway.I just can't do it but will cooperate if/when it becomes compulsory maybe or just move on.Time will tell but I liked this site because it was so professional and now this new profile changes that,far as I see anyway

2. aa lite profile image85

Hmmm, the site must really hate me.  I just tried a 1600x1200 image, and it would not let me unclick the "tile background" box, and on my 24" monitor it is coming up as tiled horizontally but not vertically.  It's possible that on my laptop screen it isn't tiled.  Really I don't have the time to mess with this!
            One way of doing away with all this background angst would be to just have HubPage made backgrounds, but provide a bigger choice and not several different styles.

I'm seeing just one froggie on your background.

I must have double vision because I can see two! One on the left and one on the right.  I can also see tiling on 2uesday's background.  Admittedly this is on my large desktop monitor with HP maximised.

I am also worried about the time it takes the backgrounds to load. It's not a huge problem because the rest of the profile pops up quickly, but since Google doesn't like slow loading pages, and the profile is our homepage, it is worrying. I might go monochromatic.

I definitely see just one, on the left hand side. It is firmly fixed about midway down the page and stays in the same position as I scroll down to the very bottom.

I am on a laptop with a 15" screen 1280x800 resolution.

I also see only one picture on 2uesday's profile.

2. IzzyM profile image88
                  IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can only see the frog on the left. Using a laptop with 17" screen.

Cool profile, by the way. I like your background image. It's not too busy and doesn't detract from the profile itself, as some do.

2. Will Apse profile image90

Try control plus minus.

2. mary615 profile image81
              mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cannot get rid of the tile look.  I changed backgrounds yesterday and made sure the box was unchecked for tile.  It is still tiled.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  That's what I wrote in a Hub about two weeks ago and sent it to several HP employees and they questioned my description of the backgrounds as busy, amateurish,tacky, etc.     Have they been brain washed by Facebook, Pinterest and others??  It is bad design.

Why won't they admit it and make some adjustments?

They don't even have to say "we were wrong."   How about, "some unexpected difficulties have arisen so to address them, we are going to..."

I totally agree with what you are saying.

Dziękuję! smile

Perhaps this is an example of the generation gap. Perhaps the 20-to-30-something-year-olds on HP staff really cannot see over-business as being chaotic and unaesthetic.

I guess at times we have to focus on the upcoming generations and what pleases them, lol.

Maybe they're not aware that Baby Boomers and the previous generation are a larger demographic than they are!  Our opinions should count for something. After all, we're computer-savvy and also spend money just like the younger generations. In fact, many of us may have more time to spend on HP and more money to spend on the products advertised on the site. Just food for thought....

3. Dolores Monet profile image95
        Dolores Monetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, WriteAngled, I see what you mean about the trashy look and was thinking that my own personal choice would be a bit more refined (haha). But further reading here  makes me think that my own background might take longer to load if it's full of color or design.

47. profile image0
    Vincent Mooreposted 11 years ago

I truly admire and love the New Profile page, I have had many compliments on my page and I can adjust my featured hubs, which is a bonus. The background uploads are wonderful, however I chose to use one of my own backgrounds. Great work Team keep them coming.

Am glad it is working well for you

2. aa lite profile image85

I really  like the idea of the image of you at a typewriter as background, but I have to say that I think it would look better if it wasn't tiled.  Depending on the size of the window, the photos on the right of the screen are repeated 1.5 times, which doesn't look very professional. 
      I think that tiled backgrounds only work when the image is quite simple, then it isn't too distracting to have it repeated.  The point of the background is not to distract from the profile.

48. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 11 years ago

I switched my profile a few days ago, partly because I felt it was the new "Timeline" of HubPages, so I might as well get used to it and fine-tune it.

WHAT I LIKE:  I like a few parts of it.  The images are much larger, and our list of hubs is more prominent and obvious.  I like the "Featured Hub" section at the top, but wish we could speed the rate at which they change.  I think I like the fact that the "About Me" section is hidden after a certain number of characters.  It's much cleaner, but again, it's also a little annoying.

WHAT I DISLIKE:  The "Recent Images" section is totally pointless; I'd rather see 1-2 Fanmail messages used in that space than random images.  I also use "spacer" images, so that's going to look pretty lame to say the least.  There's also no way for a reader to find my whole range of related hubs, as they're now scattered all over the place.  With 72 hubs this is difficult, and for people with 300 hubs, this new profile system will be Ridiculous!  IN ADDITION, there is no way to sort the wheat from the chaff, as the "Latest/Hot/Best" tabs are now completely gone.  We now have to wade through multiple random hubs to find the gems, and I guarantee NOBODY is going to do that!  ALSO, we can no longer put links into our profiles.  Why the heck not?  Now we can't earn money through the referral system (which I quite liked), and we can't recommend other's hubs, either.  ALL IN ALL, the design is flashy, but poor.  It's a case of **FORM BEFORE FUNCTION.** 

I can tell that the same group who designed the new Hub Hopper designed this, too.  I guess we can expect more of the same, and I wish HP would begin listening to our feedback, because the site is heading in a direction that many of its participants don't want to go.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The new profile has something even better. If you click on the "Show: All" link at the top of the full hub listing, you will get a pull-down menu which shows all the categories in which you wrote hubs. It even shows how many hubs you have in each category. The reader can then narrow their search and find your hubs in the category they are interested in.

There is a reason why HP no longer allows links in profiles. First of all, you can now add your social network links by simply filling in the fields with the URL's. But besides that, there were many people who joined HubPages just to create backlinks to other sites and they never come back to check on things or to be active in the community. This hurts all the rest of us.

I may not always agree with everything (just as you don't), but I do have to say that the changes HP makes are an attempt to help with improved performance for active Hubbers.

That's not correct. HP has a great earnings program that includes Google AdSense and eBay. In addition, you can include Amazon if you sign up directly with them. If your comment refers to other affiliate programs, HubPages can't make money from those. I am sure you will appreciate the fact that HP is letting you use this platform for free and they deserve to be compensated for the service.

1. Faceless39 profile image92
        Faceless39posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a wonderful reply filled with pertinent information!  Thanks for taking the time to fill me in.

I didn't notice the "Show: All" link, and I don't believe many people from outside the site will, either.  That said though, you're right that it's even better than what we had before.  That's great!

I understand what you're saying about the links on people's profiles.  It's unfortunate that people abusing things always ruin it for the rest of us.  However, I think they made the right call on that.  Thanks for bringing this fact to my attention.

The changes are for the better, though I wish there was more beta testing and feedback involved before a complete unveiling.  I do have issues with aspects of it, but comparing my new profile page with someone's old profile page makes the old one seem old-fashioned and dated.  A very good update, just wish there was more chance at feedback before a complete roll out.

I agree - the feature works well, but I didn't notice it until someone told me it existed - so I suspect new readers are even less likely to.

49. AgentAether profile image60
    AgentAetherposted 11 years ago

Can I still switch to the new profile? I am just new in here and I would love to set my hubs with the new profile. Thanks!

1. Faceless39 profile image92
      Faceless39posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you can go to my profile (or anyone else who has the new profile.)  At the top of my profile page, it will ask you if you want to switch yours.  This will appear, I think in red, in the upper right corner of my page.  Good luck!

1. AgentAether profile image60
        AgentAetherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply. I am already using the new profile! smile

50. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

Hi, Simone....Does this mean that the "Upgrade My Profile" link will only lead to changing the profile design? For example, if I want to add or subtract something currently in my profile and click on "Upgrade My Profile" to do it, will I suddenly have the new profile design whether I want it or not? (I don't.) Thanks. JayeWisdom

On the old profile, are you still able to Edit?  If so, you could still change and add.

Upgrade My Profile leads to the new profile edit page, and once you hit 'save' and confirm, it's permanent.

Thanks. I was apparently confusing "upgrade" and "edit." I'm just trying to avoid a blunder.  Jaye

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)