No more pajamas in public- its about time!!

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (91 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

by Tracey Lomrantz, Glamour Magazine

According to USA Today, Caddo Parish District 3 Commissioner Michael Williams saw a group of young men at a local Walmart in their sleep gear--one of whom was, shall we say, overexposed--and decided to put an ordinance in motion that would seek to ban pajamas and encourage a commitment to decency.

"Pajamas are designed to be worn in the bedroom at night," Williams said. "If you can't [wear pajamas] at the Boardwalk or courthouse, why are you going to do it in a restaurant or in public? Today it's pajamas," Williams said. "Tomorrow it's underwear. Where does it stop?"
    http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/simp … mp;_nwpt=1
    I so sick of seeing kids and some adults wearing their pjs and fuzzy slippers out in public!.If Louisiana passes this ,it should become a national law! yikes

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... what a waste of tyranny.

If we're going to ban something, let's make it religion.

1. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"What a waste of tyranny". I will probably steal that. 

As a Christian, I have already banned religion in me household. It's getting out of hand.

But as for pj's if they expose penises and breastesses, then it is indecent exposure. Otherwise, PJs are just another foolish fad that is slightly less offensive than the exposed, pasty fish bellies of years ago.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You banned Religion in your household? Did you finally get sick of your husband yelling:

"AND GOD SAID, LET YOU DO MY LAUNDRY!!"

(PS, on a completely un-related note: I wanted to see if you were male or female in your profile, and I read that you're a vet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxJ1XUGLR0 )

2. CWanamaker profile image94
      CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is laughable....do we really need this kind of legislation?  Why not just allow people to embarrass themselves and learn from their mistakes? That's a better teacher then some politician anyways.  Besides, you can't legislate morality.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, of course we need this kind of legislation and need it very badly.  We absolutely must promote and require "decency" of our neighbors, and that "decency" absolutely must conform to my opinion of what is decent, not theirs.

Isn't that what it's always about - an ingrained belief that we have the right and duty to run roughshod over everyone that doesn't agree with our notions of morality?

1. CWanamaker profile image94
          CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's correct - Everyone is always right all the time! And with that you have pointed out the major problem with this kind of legislation.

1. Cardisa profile image87
            Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why didn't the guy just go out naked then? I mean he was exposed so what's the big deal?

I agree with Wilderness. People need guidance and this legislation is just that, since some people can't decide for themselves what's decent or not.

3. profile image0
      Phoebe Pikeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think people should be able to wear whatever they want to wear... I personally don't wear fuzzy slippers in public, but it should be the choice of the people. What's next? No shirts with logos?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No Yoga pants, ladies fyi not every girl can pull off Yoga pants successfully.  jus sayin!

1. profile image0

So, basically you want to play the shallow card? Who cares if not everyone looks appealing in an outfit? Anyone should be allowed to wear what they see fit. Does it always look good? Of course not! But it shouldn't be regulated by the government!

1. brittanytodd profile image88
            brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So true, Pheobe.  I think this law is a waste of time.  Even though I don't enjoy seeing people in pajamas, I think we have bigger things to worry about...

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

No, this is just sarcasm.  Sorry you misunderstood.  I support the individuals Right to do as they please.  As long as they do no harm to others.

My post is trying to make the point of what would be next if we allowed Government to legislate attire.

1. profile image0

I figured it was, but you would be shocked at how many hubbers write things like that and actually mean it...

4. kateperez profile image58
      kateperezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As annoyed as I get watching teenagers and adults, alike, putting on their fuzzy slippers and PJ's to go out in public, I have never seen someone indecently exposed.  They are wearing flannel pajamas, usually with ridiculously juvenile prints.

Let them wear their pajamas in public.  They only make themselves look lazy and slovenly.  However, I would like to draw the line at lacy teddies and exposed butts.

5. MosLadder profile image73
      MosLadderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So some politician is seriously proposing legislation against pj's? Indecent exposure laws are already in place, so I don't get it. Someone should pull that guys power out from under him.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is outrageous.   Common sense should dictate that one does not wear their night clothes in public.   However, if there is an unforseen emergency, please put on a coat or a raincoat(in warmer weather) when you are wearing such.    Let me not digress, we need to return to the art of proper dress depending upon the specified occasion.   Wearing pajamas and other night clothes to go shopping and/or elsewhere constantly signifies laziness period.

7. JamesPoppell profile image73
      JamesPoppellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When someone wears pajamas or sweats in  public that person is telling the world that he/she doesn't care anymore. They are saying, "I give up."

8. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes! No more pyjamas in public. Tear them off!!!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Normally Stacie, I'd say people should dress how they please. But you'd be amazed how many people go to my local shop in their pyjamas. I haven't seen a man doing it, just women and girls and I always think, for gods sake get dressed, you're outdoors. It drives me mad!

3. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Hollie, I think it's just fine for women to wear pajamas when they shop, especially when it's cold! smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

I do agree that if people are wearing transparent or revealing clothing that falls foul of the decency laws they shouldn’t be allowed to wear night clothes in public. Otherwise it doesn’t bother me if people wear their sleep wear in public. It seems to me that it’s just a custom that we wear certain styles of clothes during the night and other styles during the day, and if someone decides they don’t want to follow that custom I don’t mind. I actually enjoy seeing some of the colorful patterns on some pajamas.

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If people wore clean,unrumpled,pjs and they were not made of a transparent material then maybe I'd agree. I have only witnessed those who still are unwashed, wrinkled with "bed head" hair, going out into public,right from bed...ugh.

5. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

I was involved in what would become a brutal facebook conversation about this same subject. The concern was parents who wore pajamas when taking or picking up their children from school.

There was one person who supported the idea, and was personally offended by everyone's objection to it. She believed that it was okay, and cited numerous reasons including that it shouldn't be an issue since the parent is bringing the children to school anyway. Sometimes, and often enough the parent has to leave their vehicle, and enter the school building, and others are walking their kids to school, and ocassionally have to so the same. The parent who brings their child to school dressed in this fasfion, is non-verbally showing that any style of dress is okay. If students can't wear pajamas to school, then why should a parent?

The issue with a pajama dresscode in public is that, it only takes one person or a few, who take it too far. The cotton or flannel pj pant then becomes shorts, the shorts then become booty shorts. The pj shirts become a midriff, the midriff then become a brassiere like top. Not to mention the see-thru pajamas.

Each choice is subject to what that individual thinks is acceptable, when none of it is. People exercise care (most do) when dressed for an interview, when they have to go to court, when going to work. Legislation like the one mentioned in this thread is because folks at times lack commom sense and decency when it comes to their choice of attire.

1. kateperez profile image58

Although I do see your point in regards to pajamas, this can be in anything.

First it was blue jeans, then it was capris, then shorts, then Daisy Dukes.. The t-shirt became the crop shirt, became the halter top...  Same premise with "outside" clothes...    Dictating decency should not even be necessary but there are some who will just push the envelope.

Swim suits used to cover the whole body, then just the midsection, then the "private parts", and now even the butt is exposed and tops almost don't cover the "private parts" anymore. 

When do we, as people with common sense, begin to behave as though we have some?

A school is different because of the presence of children, and adults should show some form of decorum as a good example to children.  Otherwise these impressionable kids may find the "one step further" and become indecent themselves. 

However, pajamas are pajamas, and if they cover you up, then what's the beef?

6. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Yes, government should provide the appropriate clothing for all of us!  Not just regulate it, they should form a Fashion Police with the ability to issue citations should anyone stray from the State mandated attire.

Why should we be allowed to dress ourselves?  What are we adults?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...complete with its own badge lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kPS9uhqCOlg/SNHsYkZ7ZKI/AAAAAAAAAbA/shxs6zH3tqI/s400/6043_0L.jpg

1. imatellmuva profile image77
        imatellmuvaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to print this badge, and proudly wear it on my chest!

I have a citation book that I picked up from a store called 5 Below. I write citations to my son around the house for all kinds of offenses...think I'll start carrying it with me!

2. kateperez profile image58

I would like to see a dark gray with a matching chapeau.  To me, there is nothing that screams fashion than the North Korea required dress code.

7. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

We still can't do anything about people who dress like this in public.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/crime/2011/06/21/us_airways_3275x368.jpg

He's a passenger on a flight and the airline didn't do anything about it.  I thought there was some sort of dress code when you fly.  I guess not.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why he bothered with the cardigan - it seems a bit redundant, somehow lol lol

Perhaps his back was a bit chilly. lol

FUNeee...just a bit! However, his front is sending me into convulsions!!

Nice legs though.

2. imatellmuva profile image77

What extremes people will go through to prove a point!

Admittedly, he is striking that pose though!!

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No need for X-ray machines!

4. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That photo was weird.

8. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I made the mistake of wearing pyjama trousers in public once.  I mistook them for a pair of check trousers, and thankfully no one noticed.

1. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Land of the free? Free to wear whatever you want? I think so, I would never wear my pajamas around cs they aren't  very warm but if anyone ever had the nerve to tell me what I could and couldn't wear I would be sorely tempted to punch them, you dress like you want and leave me alone.

9. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Well some folks may be sick of seeing this or that, but frankly, I'm sick of being told, by a bunch of buzy-bodies, what I can and can't do, what I can and can't smoke, what I should and shouldn't eat, blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. etc.  If Caddo Parish District 3 Commissioner Michael Williams doesn't like PJ pants in WalMart, he should just stay the heck out of Walmart! 

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Whoop Whoop to the defenders of Freedom and Liberty smile

I think it has more to do with the choice of pajama, especially when it relates to school. Females coming to school with see through topsand no bra...breasts swing'n all over the place. Males coming to school in pajama pants without underwear and their joints are swing'n too! Not only is it distasteful...it's downright undignified.

These are the people to blame. It is these people who cause precedents to be made when none has existed before.

10. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Isn't a major part of the problem the fact that there has been a blurring of the distinctions between underwear/outer wear and night/day-time clothing?

I see lots of summer dresses on sale, sometimes with snooty labels and a price to match, which look more like nighties to me, and I also see items classed as nighties, which I would not be ashamed to wear as dresses to an up-market event.

I've seen clothing marketed as pyjamas and almost identical clothing marketed as "lounge suit" or as casual clothing/sportswear, the only difference being that some of the pyjamas have a night/sleep-related design on them.

Corsets used to be underwear, but are frequently worn as outerwear now. I myself have used thermal vests as tops, because some are available in really pretty designs.

Even the fuzzy slippers might have a story behind them. Perhaps the person wearing them has foot problems, which make wearing proper shoes very painful.

In the end, if it doesn't come under what most people would define as indecency, who are we to judge whether something is nightwear or daywear. The days of wearing twin set and pearls to pick up children from school are long, long gone.

I agree there is a blurred vision with clothing classified as pajamas that mirrors the design of other attire. I do however, have a strong opinion against pajamas worn in a school setting.

There is a decorum that should be respected, even if a written standard does not exist. The same can be said for bathing suits, which I think are nothing more than beach underwear, but a school is not the place for any attire that does not cover your body, and does not conceal those body parts that should not be exposed to children.

I certainly would take issue if my child saw more breasts and uhm...other stuff in school as much as the lessons he's there to learn.

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

OK, see-through tops = bad

However, bra or no bra is a personal choice. Why should it matter if someone is droopy instead of perky?

I don't care about the condition of the breast. In no way did I mention that or allude to it.

Pajamas should not be worn in school...period. Students can't wear them, adminisrators can't wear them, and there should be no exception for the parent.

I would not, and do not want my child exposed to this choice of attire in school; for what I have seen constitutes a lack of respect for others.

Some people take it to a near obscene level, which is the reason that some people like me are up in arms.

Just imagine a parent who has parental controls on their computer, who only allow age appropiate movies, have blocks on cell phones, all as a measure to protect their children from vulgarities and obscenities, and then they send their children to school. That child gets to see all the breasts and male appendages because people think it's okay, and because other people defend the right to wear pajama's. No wonder some children love going to school!

*administrators*

I hate wearing bras. Only do so when absolutely necessary.

12. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I think for me the pyjama thing originates from childhood. My dad used to go absolutely spare if we came down the stairs in our pyjamas, we had to get dressed as soon as we got up. The only time we were allowed downstairs in the mornings wearing our pyjamas or nightie for that matter, was if we were ill. Now, I relish sitting downstairs in my dressing gown and pyjamas, feels like freedom. Having said that, it makes me cringe when I see someone in the shop in their pyjamas.

As for school, I think it's far worse for a parent to stand in the school yard and smoke. I say that as a former smoker myself, but I've never really cared about what other parents wear.

13. Smokes Angel profile image60
    Smokes Angelposted 12 years ago

a lot of the sports clothes i see on people also look like pajamas... if you have seen some dude walking in them you know what I mean.

14. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

If people wear pajamas in public, what do they wear to sleep in?

"clothes make the man" as the saying goes. They reflect an individuals concern for their appearance and self respect.
    A style of clothing reflect individuals own taste. Be an individual and don't be a follower. Wear a nice outfit in public.

yeah, I'm a bit old fashioned. I hate to see old jeans and sweat clothes worn in nice restaurants as well. Civilization is going downhill fast...roll

Wheres' the liek button Stacie L?!

*like*...I'm tired...only working on 2 1/2 hours of sleep.

2. kateperez profile image58

I agree.  Could use a *like* button!

15. novicemuse profile image60
    novicemuseposted 12 years ago

Why does everybody care so much? Yes, I think some people are a little extreme but I wouldn't punish them by law because they wear their pajamas out! If they overexpose, it's embarrassing for them, not me; although I do think that they should be wary of little children. Then again, the media does enough to deteriorate any decency we try to uphold, and that's not going away anytime soon.

It seems to me that people care so much, because too many people care less.

Funny thing is, I personally know people who are in support of pajama wearing in public (and my point specifically addresses those who wear them to their child's school) yet these same people wouldn't dare wear pajamas to work, to a funeral, to a wedding, to a job interview, to court, etc. If you can support every reason why you shouldn't wear pajamas in any one of these places, then why challenge wearing pajamas anywhere else?

16. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Does this include the ever-so-fashionable pajama jeans?  wink

I hate those too...I'm banning, pajamas, pajama jeans, skinny jeans, and leggings...only because I've seen some unsightly things...and gauging my eyes out just isn't enough.

My son is big and tall...I call him my line backer. I asked him if he wanted skinny jeans. He said, "Ma, if they come in my size they're just jeans."

Now watch and see that someone takes offense to that comment, and turn it into me being against big and tall people...1...2...3...

17. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

this really reminds me of the broohaha over so many fashion ( and unfashion ) trends when I was a kid - like hot pants, granny glasses, granny dresses, long hair on guys, tight pants, loose pants, those taps on the bottom of guy's tight black boots, the "d.a." or ducks *ss hair cut for guys, going barefoot and shirtless, every thing Elvis wore and did and said, the bikini, midriff exposing tops on women, hip huggers displaying our belly buttons - all these things met with a similar uproar from decent, law-abiding folk who were shocked to no end that young folk were running wild like this. Why, these kids were even refusing to go to God's real church and listening instead to some long hair from India talk about peaceful mantras! What is the world coming to! We just laughed and kept on keeping on.  The more they screamed, the more we felt vindicated in doing what we pleased and used it all as a statement of our rebellion against their dangerous (yes!) stodginess and warmongering traditions that insisted we must all actively pursue an enemy - at least one enemy and annihilate these enemies for the sake of God!  (It was all mixed up together - you know, the way we dressed, our politics, our religious thoughts.)  THEN John Lennon and Yoko Ono (both completely naked) spent a few weeks entertaining the press and photographers  from bed and John put all the reporters to shame when he asked them why they were so interested in what a couple of rockers were doing in their bed while an outrageous, expensive and totally corrupt and ILLEGAL war was waged in VietNam, killing  thousands and thousands of young men.   Nothing really changes.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mega, why don't you cut to the chase and admit right here, right now, that the reason why you just spent 10 minutes of your time writing that newspaper article is because you don't want to empty your closet. Show the PJ's Mega! Show them all! big_smile

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would, but mostly they are flannel - and very dull.  I go for practicality now that I am ancient, and no one would blink an eye if I did go out in them.  Once, without meaning to, I did go out in my shearling slippers, but nobody noticed since they look like a really cheap, short version of UGGS.  So anyhow.

Don't you ever just read what I say and think - ahhhh, that Mega, she's a blooming geniurs!  Why do you belittle me?  Are you suffering from some unknown ailment - a kind of Megaphobia?  Or do you fear your own love of me so much that if you gave in and worshipped the way you wish to you would totally lose your own personality?  Don't feel so bad, it has happened to others, and they still function fairly well.  big_smile  xoxoxo

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol You know it's all out of love, granny! I love you! lol lol

I would decry most of it...including the naked hippies in the park and the war. I agree mega1, that some of what you mentioned  was far-fetched.

I just don't want my kid slapped in the head by a boob or a male appendage while he's in the office trying to get a hall pass.

No child needs to see your booty crack, cause the elastic is shot in your pajama pants, nor the tattoo that says, "Put it right here Baby"...with an arrow...not to mention the tatto's with obscene language and pictures.

No child needs to see your male appendage at attention cause your pajama pants are shifting, and you don't have draws on to hold your stuff in place.

Let me not forget the fights that ensue because a parent was not caring enough to alter their appearance for five minutes, and kids are teased behind it.

This is more than just wearing pajamas, and a person's right to...again blame the pajama clad extremists.

If folks stopped at the flannel joints and the jersey knit that covered crap up, maybe...we anti-pajama folk would be somewhat dismissive...but since the pajama clad extremists want to let it all out...blame them...they're the bad apple that spoiled the whole bunch.

This has always been and will likely continue to be a hot button topic. I'm enjoying this!

18. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Lets all wear exactly the same - everyone should conform!! Use the same language, same hairstyle, everything so no one looks out of place or offends anyone else!

We're entitled to personal expression, but at what point  does etiquette no longer matter?

This is not about conforming it's about decency and respect.

No, it's about forcing others to follow your own interpretation and concepts of morality.

Personally, I would much rather see a pair of PJ's on the sidewalk that a boy with his pants nearly to his knees or a girl dressed as if she were streetwalking.  Those are offensive, PJ's are merely eccentric and sometimes stupid.

Either way, though, it has nothing to do with me or my likes and dislikes.  Clothing inside a school is a different matter - as soon as it interferes with learning it needs shut down.  Your exaggerations of your child being slapped in the head with body parts are just; gross exaggerations that have little to nothing to do with real life.

Wilderness, I find it amusing that people, including yourself are highly offended. Wear your pajamas in public,  let your thing swing, but just as you and others have a right to defend it, I have a right to be against it.

I also find it amusing that folk have either not read through the comments in this thread, or misinterpret what was said. I could give a rats booty about pajamas in general, I do however, have a concern about the type and style of pajama worn, and especially in a school setting.

If you want to wear something comfortable, then choose an attire that's comfortable, but appropiate for the environment that you're in.

What I've stated are my opinions, and what you've stated is the same...an opinion.

And you can't say that my comment was a gross exaggeration, because YOU were not there! But, you are correct in one way...it was gross!

I understand that your primary concern is a school setting, and I pretty much agree with you there, just as I said.  That was not the gist of this forum, though, and I merely attempted to bring it a little back onto topic.

"Appropriate" for the environment.  By whose judgement - yours?  Why is your judgement any better than the pajama wearers?  Because the fashion gurus that make a living from dictating what we wear agrees with you?  I submit that you do not have the ethical or moral right to determine what people shall wear in general, in public.  And yes, schools are not "in general" just as a courtroom isn't.

Oh Wildnerness, get your pajamas out of a bunch.

lol

19. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

As the mother of 4, I can be seen at least 3 or 4 times a year in my jammies at Walmart at around 2 in the morning.  I generally have a pack of diapers and/or a bottle of children's tylenol in my cart.  Generally, if put under oath I would have to admit to having no recollection of having driven there.  Being arrested for violating some sort of midnight shopping dress code would probably result in the police having to use excessive force.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PJ in public, is soooooo red neck,
      What will they think of next,  no alarm for a law to be pass, live and let live.

I just would not date a women who wore  PJ's all the time. Now if a women wore a a bikini and high heel working in the garden, now that's a turn on, could be a leering law for that.

That's different, it's the middle of the night and people would expect you to be wearing pj's. I do think to legislate against this is going way to far though.

20. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I've always just seen the pajama-thing as a "fashion statement" being made by teens and early-twenties people - although a not very impressive one (and by older people who want to do what "the young people all do").  I've never seen it at all as an indecent-exposure thing (I've seen a lot of other outfits that involve a whole lot more "indecent exposure" than pajamas do.  As with all "fashion statements" that can be made popular when clothing companies put the right ads out, or when someone in a movie does something; the pajama "fashion thing" is one that - left in the hands of the "general public" never looks quite as cool as it is does in something like GAP ads.  In "real" life, it's so often a real case of "don't try this at home".   lol

I just think the pajama-thing makes people look like they're too stupid, or too "out-of-it" mentally, to know enough to put on "real clothes" (especially in the middle of February in cold climates).  I don't know if where I live is just too "suburb-y" to keep something like the pajama trend alive for very long (or if word is just out there that pajamas look dumb outside), but I'm not seeing nearly as many people in pajamas as I saw awhile back.

Personally, I think legislation involving pajama-wearing is a big waste of the time of anyone involved in such legislation.  What there needs to be, maybe, is a public-service announcement out there that says, "Please!  If you don't want to look dumb and 'out-of-it', and if you don't want people thinking you're a silly kid who has been a little too impressed by GAP ads, say 'NO' to pajamas!!!"   lol

I think the legislation is imposed because of the extreme cases.

I do agree that pajama's can be similar and no different than some other type of clothing, and I am opposed to that clothing too, if worn in an environment that it's inappropiate for.

I would say to everyone who supports wearing pajamas publicly, to go to work dressed like that, why make an exception for your job, go to court in pajamas if for any reason you get a citation...why limit yourselves...go all the way with it.

Perhaps the opinions in this thread are so strong, because what we each see is different. What I see is by all accounts nasty.

I asked my niece and her friends what they thought, since this is such a highly charged subject, and mind you I understand that teens can be embarrased by their parents for any reason. They all hate when a parent appears at school clad in pajamas. It didn't matter if it was their own parent or someone else's.

Not only are they embarrased by it, they are offended that anyone would come to their school clad in pajamas, when the students, administration and staff adhere to a standard of dress.

The kids are in school not only for their lessons, but to learn structure and discipline. What is so wrong with a parent displaying the same...structure and discipline?

It is these extreme cases that cause precedents; we didn't do it, it's the pajama clad folk with all their crap hanging out.

21. sen.sush23 profile image60
    sen.sush23posted 12 years ago

I agree, legislation on PJ is such a waste of time and implementing that law would be such a waste of effort! In the Oriental countries people are much more touchy on dress codes, so far so that even 15 years back when I was in College, my professor of Physics had asked me to wear 'Sari' in class, as it was a co-ed college and there were boys studying with us! Incidentally, I wore knee length skirts or trousers, and was most appropriate and formally dressed, more like an Aunt as per Western Standards, which he did not find decent enough for public places. So, you see, decency is a matter of your cultural background, your upbringing and how open and adaptable you are to different possibilities,or suggestions in matters of clothing or food or etiquette. Indian women rarely will visit a beach in bikini, unless it is a private beach or in other parts of the world and not India, and they are the super rich. Clothing rules continue to apply - as dress codes in offices, schools, private parties, clubs - that is fine because they are expressions of some individuals or groups and all who want to be part of it, have to abide. But a country or a city is a part of a larger space that is not property of any individual - the free society should respect, if not agree, to the freedom of choice of every individual. That is what civilization is about. Respect for my neighbor and tolerance of differences.

Well said, but how much should be tolerated?

For example, my Grandmother passed away, and her repast was at my home. One of her great-grandson's (my second cousin) came to the repast, but he was not wearing a shirt.

Should his bare chest have been tolerated because at least he was there? Or should he have been given a shirt, told that he was appreciated for being present and told the importance of proper etiquette? Actually, there's no need to pick a question...it was the latter that happened.

The similarity to the pajama issue is that he went to the extreme, but presented himself as if it was okay.

In your home you could make any rule you desire concerning a dress code.  So can any other entity.  If Wal-Mart does not want pajama wearing consumers they can just post it on the door.

Courts require proper dress but I have seen pajamas in a Courtroom so even though there is a dress code the Courts do not have a problem with pajamas.

Having the Government legislate such rules is ridiculous.  There are beaches and other tourist attractions the might be effected negatively by such legislation.

Well Reality Bytes...he had to get to my home didn't he? I think the legislation is, AGAIN because of those who take pajama wearing to the extreme...blame them. I only used that example as a similarity to extreme behavior, and the extreme pajama's worn to school...school...school.

AND perhaps the court you were in and that judge didn't take issue; all jurisdictions and judges are not the same.

The bottom line is the same...you're offended by people who are offended, and I am offended by people who will not exercise care in  a school setting...so it's still an offense any way you look at it.

It's fuuny how so many people are up-in-arms when I have clearly addressed my concerns to pajamas worn to school by parents, and futher identified the type and style as something unsuitable for an environment with kids.

I don't think that any legislation would cause the enforcement of the pajama It, but I do think that legislation is considered because of  a lack of concern about appropiateness or etiquette to the type and style of pajama worn.

I have only and repeatedly expressed my concern about parents wearing pajamas to their child's school. I have further expressed this opinion based on what I have observed, and not a general opinion on folks who wear pajamas.

The schools themselves can put up a dress code and request that violaters leave the school.  I would not have a problem with that.

I was unable to wear shorts of any kind in school.  This rule made no sense to me at the time as females wore skirts with no problem.  If a boy went to school in shorts they would be sent home.

It is sheer clothing that you have conscerns over, correct?  If the attire was sheer and not pajamas I would think you would have similar concerns? My opinion is that Government legislation is unneccasary, as a dress code can be enforced legally.  If you are requested to leave a school and you refuse, trespassing charges could be filed.

I am not offended by another taking offense.  Human beings have every Right to be offended by anything they wish.  That does not mean we need new Laws everytime someone takes offense.  LOL  I hope you do not find this offensive.  smile

Not at all Reality Bytes...and I truly appreciated the Smiley Face...made me SMILE!!

What I've seen, are pajamas worn to school by parents that are not only sheer, but pajamas that expose so much skin it is lewd. I just think that even if a dress code is not in place, people should have a sense of decorum for the environment that they're in.

Otherwise, I really don't care about people wearing pajamas publicly; I actually applaud them for having the audacity to go against the grain. I do however, think that there are limitations and people should exercise care without having to be told about appropiateness, respect and etiquette.

I do recognize that some folk have to be told, because they see nothing wrong with the low waist see through pants they're wearing in school, exposing the tattoo with a male appendage squirt'n something other than ink...yes...I have seen that.

22. MyFavoriteBedding profile image40
    MyFavoriteBeddingposted 12 years ago

I really can't believe they are making such a big deal about pajamas in public!  People should be able to wear what they want, as long as they are decent.  Honestly, pajamas look better than some clothes I see people wearing!!

23. sen.sush23 profile image60
    sen.sush23posted 12 years ago

imatellmuva
    your concern over the children being exposed to such informal and inexplicable (by general standard) codes of dressing is understandable. But my experience of children seems to indicate that they are much more resilient and much less judgmental. I remember a kid, who was literally brought up by me, in telling me the story of 'Titanic' go into details about the portrait sketching scene- and he stopped to explain, that -'that is fine, you see, in their culture, you can take off clothes when painting'.
    It becomes a problem only when your child knows that you are not comfortable in the company of a person in PJ (as an example)and take my word for it, children are uncanny smart to note your comfort/uncomfort level, even if you do not bat an eye. smile

sen.sush23, the originator of this thread referenced overexposure as a reason for the proposed ordinance in Louisiana.

Most of the comments here object to those who have stated their indifference to pajamas. Many of the statements in this thread, and especially my own, express an indifference to the pajama style worn publicly (and more specifically in my case, when worn in a school) that is lewd, vulgar, and exposes those parts of the human body, which should be reserved.

My offense to this attire in a school setting, is a matter of protecting my child from those things which I feel can be harmful. I don't think Boobies and male appendages and A,B,C,s go together. I disagree that it's a problem when my child knows that I am ucomfortable...it is a problem period. I if my child feels my discomfort, then good...that will hopefully help them not to have relaxed standards.

24. anonimuzz profile image59
    anonimuzzposted 12 years ago

Wow? Aren't there more important issues to tackle? Seeing someone in his/her pjs is really that outrageous? I don't see why that should be anybody's business as long as the pj-wearer does not infringe any indecent exposure law. Some people actually have some funny pajamas. Don't take away my right to see them and laugh silently -.-'

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://megawattpr.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/the-dude.jpg?w=253&h=260wink
      looks like Jesus shops in his PJ's

25. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 12 years ago

I refuse to even engage in a conversation with someone if they are wearing pajamas or sweatpants in public. It's nice to know that I am not the only person who thinks that this act should be illegal. Lazy people who can't even get dressed and mope to the local store in their UGGly furry moon boots and grimey pajamas are a waste of space!

We were interviewing people yesterday fod a warehouse position. A girl came in wearing slippers. The cheap walmart kind that look like you jsut got out of the shower and was heading to bed kind. Yea... to a job interview!

I hope this becomes illegal everywhere, all over thew world. Damn lazy asses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Hbu4Z4pGI

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll talk to anyone, only would hangout with people all the time in sweatpants and pajamas

2. MyFavoriteBedding profile image40
      MyFavoriteBeddingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well if I am in a hurry, and don't want to spend time talking with people I run into at the grocery store, I will be sure to wear my pajamas, because maybe they would feel the way you do, and not want to talk to me. ha! ha!

26. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

Nearly 90 responses later...I now hate pajamas.

Do not get me pajamas as a gift, for I will likely burn them, or cut them to shreds!

I hate words that begin with the letter "P"!

Do not ask if my child can attend a pajama party. Refer to it as a sleep-over, and I will consider it...she will sleep in her clothes!

I will not sleep in pajamas, but instead will remain fully clothed...night and day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)