How about sharing how you've come up with your user name?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 63 discussions (82 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

I find it quite intriguing and often wonder how a user name is chosen...some of the names are quite easy to guess others I bet have most likely funny little anecdotes to go with the choice...
    My user name is really very ordinary Zsuzsy being a Hungarian form of Suzanne and the Bee well, my teenage childrens friends used to call me Mrs B. As our last name starts with a B.
    hence Zsuzsy Bee

1. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been using my name for about 15 years it was from an old Keanu Reeves film called Point Break,one of the bad guys was called Warchild, a few people said i resembled him and it has stuck ever since!

2. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Hi Zsuzsy Bee, i like it;) i would like to know how yiou actually pronounce it? sue zee or zoo zee?

I chose my name because i was Street-smart when i was a kid growing up..
    I would find all my fun, education, entertainment and all the tips and tricks about life on the street including making money and generally being a naughty boy...Now i get all my entertainment and fun and education and generate an income online and everything is above board and legit..Hence the name Compu-smart.. But i would like to have changed it to.....ummm......errrr..... i still have not decided but something a little more personal...

3. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

I chose this username because it's different from my normal 'pulishing' name.  I play a lot of tabletop roleplaying games, and have for nearly 20 years (oh boy I'm getting old!) so, as a gamer, and a girl, it just kind of came together. smile

4. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

Compu-smart do you remember a Hungarian actress named ZsaZsa Gabor? The Zs is pronounced as a 'Je'. The hungarian language has quite a few combination letter therefore different sounds.

GamerGirl I kind of thought that you chose your name because you had mentioned your work in the past.

Zs

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes I remember her very well ..
      The "Je" sounds much better than "Sue" which i thought it was pronounced and much more sophisticated...  Ohh and its good to know and obvious you have no sting in your tail!
      smile

5. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Mine is pretty obvious.  But in real life, I actually go by Stephanie.  Steph just seems more fun and easy going though.  68 is my age.  Sort of.  Born in 1968, so I'll be 40 this year. sad

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL I am pretty non-creative here. Misha is just a short name for Mikhail, my normal first name...

7. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I just didn't feel like thinking of a cool name. Ha. so Whitney, is my name, and 05 is the year I graduated high school. Sad. I kind of wish that I had just left it Whitney. Oh well. I'll have to deal with it.

8. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

Mine is quite an amazing story...
    It is my real name.
    smile

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

The story of mine is how I started off the hub about me.

10. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Mine is extremely interesting as it's... er my first name Wayne with the t of my last name added on the end, now don't you feel better for that interesting explanation.

11. tbartle profile image60
    tbartleposted 16 years ago

Well, tbartle is my first initial and full last name.  My full name is Trisha Bartle, and I regret not making that my HubPages name.  I know I can start a new account with that name, but I don't really want to start all over again.  smile 

Anyway, you all can call me Trisha.  Nice to meet you.

12. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 16 years ago

What a fun and interesting topic! Of course, my name here is actually my name LOL. But anywhere else such as game rooms and such I use the nickname pawslady7795. This has cause some people to ask me if I am an animal lover. The answer to that is a hearty YES however, it has nothing to do with the name that I chose. My grandchildren call my husband Paw and I am his lady (hence pawslady). The 7795 is our wedding day! This has been a topic that has resulted in my meeting some wonderful friends on the internet just from people asking me about this name LOL.

Keep the posts coming! I just love reading about these names!

Bonnie Ramsey

13. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 16 years ago

I was very blond when I was 15. This was before I was bleaching and was still just using Sun-In for blond highlighting. I was making my very first e-mail account back when hotmail was the most popular. I needed a screenname to sign up and sunstreaks was the first thing that came to mind. Unfortunetly it was already taken. So I changed it up to sunstreeks..

Eleven years later, I still use the same screenname.

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years ago

I'm just the real me, I guess. smile LOL

15. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image62
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Well, mine is pretty self explanatory---C.M. are my first and middle initials (Colleen M.)

If I could have, I would have made my username Colleen Vanderlinden, since that's how my name appears everywhere else online, but when I created my account it said my name was too long.

Exciting, eh? big_smile

16. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

I didn't come up with it.  My parents did.  Though it took a while for my mother to get used to the idea that I wasn't going to go by "Madeleine" my whole life.

17. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

I lived in England for a while, where if you are Scottish, you are called a Jock, hence when I lived there I was commonly known by my friends as Jimmy The Jock.....jimmy

18. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

My name came from a book that I found very inspirational: "The Princessa, Machiavelli for women" by Harlet Rubin.  The book also inspired the hub  How to be brilliantly disruptive.

I like the name because for the author, a Princessa settles for nothing less than greatness smile

19. Sybille Yates profile image68
    Sybille Yatesposted 16 years ago

I worked with pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago in Spain. In Spanish the people that are giving hospitality are called hospitalera/os. Female singular form is  hospitalera and as I started to do things on line it became my standard user name, SY

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

ROTFL Sybile - but here you use your real name - thanks though I wondered about the hospitalera ! You should do a hub on the camino - its on my to do list!

No points at at all for guessing what my first name is Elisabeth - yes spelt that way which is a European version though my mother was a NZer - I have no idea why she went for the less usual spelling - but it finally started becoming useful when I needed a screen name.

I struggle with screen names - I use one that reflects my main website in relevant forums.  Originaly I just used a short version of my last name - but I hate my last name and decided it made no sense to keep on using it it in cyberspace!  Lissie is quite a good 1 as often  I can still get it even on big sites such as bloglog!

1. Sybille Yates profile image68
        Sybille Yatesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, sorry, just noticed...Senior moment, everywhere else I am "hospitalera" actually don't remember why I used my real name here, SY *tip-toes away with bowed head and hides*

20. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Darkside? It's a Star Wars thing.

Came close to choosing TK-421.

21. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

Hovalis is the surname of a Farscape character. Full name: Joolushko Tunai Fenta Hovalis, to be precise. Everyone called her Jool on the show.

Why pick it? The name is always likely to be available, and I liked the character because while she was irritating at times, she always stuck by her guns about what she believed, even if it went against what all the others were thinking and doing.

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Another Sci Fi Geek!

1. profile image0
        Hovalisposted 16 years agoin reply to this

'fraid so. ::looks sideways at her sci-fi collection:: Make that very much so. big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

darkside - I don't like to see the terms "sci-fi" and "geek" in the same sentence - It's more of a spiritual belief system than geekery.

I don't think it's nice to poke fun at someone's dearly held beliefs big_smile

Unless they're silly beliefs of course. big_smile

My mum gave me my name smile

Mark Peter - I have 2 Brothers - Matthew David and Michael John. So know you know. LOL

1. profile image0

That depends on whether you think being a geek is a bad thing. There aren't that many basements in Australia.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60

Hadn't thought of that - Do I take it you are a geek and proud of it in that case?

And this is the dictionary definition of the word:

1. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
                     2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.
                     3. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken. big_smile

1. profile image0

Hmn I'm not inept, but I am a qualified engineer, so got the technical stuff. Only mildly socially inept. As for carnivals, I can't even juggle. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say...hmmm...5.

Why is it that everything you say is loaded, Mark?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60

LOL -- I was just asking smile

2. darkside profile image62
          darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Your mother had a thing for M's I see.

And also biblical names big_smile

1. ripplemaker profile image77
            ripplemakerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I like that Mark.  We are all M's in my family too.. There's me - Michelle and my 3 brothers-- Michael, Michie Jay and Michbern.  They are names that they just put together.  My brother Michie Jay is always mistaken as a girl.  And Michbern always get confused with Michburn over the phone.  Getting burn all the time big_smile   

Zsuzsy , thanks for creating this thread.  It's really nice and fun to know the people behind the names smile

22. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 16 years ago

My real name is Michelle Simtoco.  It was my aunt who named me since I was born when the Beatles were a hit!  wink 

I fell in love with 'ripplemaker'  the day it dawned on me that we actually create ripples everyday.  And that we actually have the power to create and re-create our lives and make a difference in little and big ways.  I confess that's what my soul truly longs to do.

23. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

My mom named me Stacie, although my grandma insists it was her idea.  Of course, she would have preferred to have it spelled Stacey or Stacy instead of Stacie.

Naczelnik is my married name.  My "maiden" name was hyphenated...which caused a ridiculous amount of confusion.  Plus, nobody could ever pronounce or spell the first part right.  So, I gave them up to share a name with my husband.  Of course...nobody can spell or pronounce that one either!

24. Talem profile image60
    Talemposted 16 years ago

big_smile.....It's a name I go by for a MMORPG I play.

And a character from Soul Calibur. LOL.

25. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Mine's the standard one we use (based on Inspire Publishing) because I had no idea it would be the display name and the name by which everyone here would know me until it was too late ...

Jenny

26. Blogger Mom profile image59
    Blogger Momposted 16 years ago

Mine is pretty obvious.  I'm a mom, and I like to write and read blogs.  My real name is Deb. smile

27. funride profile image66
    funrideposted 16 years ago

Well, mine it´s from several bicycle forums where I hang around http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_9_5.gif.
    It´s what I reach everytime I ride and also what I hope for everybody else wink

HAVE FUN!
    Ricardo "funride" Nunes

28. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

But there is this:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/_TOONHAK.JPG

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 16 years agoin reply to this

And the Geek shall inherit the earth. smile

29. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

Town where I grew up.

30. shesagogetter profile image60
    shesagogetterposted 16 years ago

Mine is a combination of personality and business LOL it represents my website and my way of going about life in general. My real name is Cathy.

31. Mark Knowles profile image60

I didn't realize it, but the term geek is actually a very old word - I thought it was a new one.

32. The Indexer profile image82
    The Indexerposted 16 years ago

I am both a proofreader and and an indexer. I create the indexes that you find at the back of textbooks, and my latest productions have been two cumulative indexes for literary societies--one was for the Jane Austen Society and the other for the Dickens Fellowship. For the latter I had to read and analyse 6,000 pages of text that had been written over a 31-year period. It took me more than two years to finish the job!

There are plenty of other indexers around, so calling myself "The Indexer" is a bit pretentious. However, I have used "indexer" elsewhere, and Hubpages deserves something a little different!

33. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85

This is fantastic...I was right this thread is really great, filled with interesting and amusing tidbits...Thanks guys keep-em-coming Zs

34. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

My name is the byline I've always used. When I had to create a middle name for my confirmation (as a Roman Catholic, back in 1950) my mother and my grandmother decided it would be Francis, in honor of my uncle who was killed on a destroyer in Guadalcanal during WW II. My mother said my middle name at birth was Francis, so my confirmation name would also be Francis, allowing me to continue to honor my uncle, William Francis Hogan (Hogan is my mother's maiden name.) This is unbelievable, but when I moved to New York two years ago I had to register my car and signed my name. The Motor Vehicle Dept. told me my name was not William Francis Torpey, so I looked at my birth certificate. After 70 years, I discovered that I have no middle name -- my certificate states William Torpey. I really feel foolish, but it's too late to change my byline now!

35. Mark Knowles profile image60

My mother is Marion Margaret. smile

36. mathan1234 profile image60
    mathan1234posted 16 years ago

Mine was a mistake. Haha... I thought "mathan1234" was just going to be my login name. I was hoping to publish on Hubpages under my name "Matt Hancock". 

Notice the first three letters of "mathan" and the last three letters = MATt HANcock, and 1234 which is easy to remember.

smile

37. ksbteam profile image60
    ksbteamposted 16 years ago

When I started working online in 2000 it was my own experiment and I said nothing to family or friends about what I was doing.

Two months later I received a check for $112.00.  When my grown son stopped by that day I showed it to him and told him what I'd been doing.  His comment was

"Good for you - kick some butt, Mom ".  and ksbteam became one of my "handles"

1. Jungle Talk profile image61
      Jungle Talkposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ksbteam, that is so great! I love it when the 'youngsters' give kudos to their mom's. And mom's so deserve it!

This is really a cool thread Zsuzsy Bee, I'm glad you started it. I must say mine isn't really amusing, I guess I have a practical bent. It came about because I wanted a pretty simple way to let people know what I enjoy talking about, especially for those who didn't want to read a ton of stuff in my profile.

38. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I started out as "Marisa" on Helium, because the site wanted people to use real-ish names.  It's a rearrangement of part of my real name. 

Not long after, Marketplace really took off, and we were told the publishers wouldn't select authors who used nicknames.  They wanted writers who could provide a full name as a byline.  I had used the name "marisawriter" on a few other sites, so making my byline "Marisa Wright" was an obvious choice.  By sheer fluke, it's not a very common name - if I'm telling people about my writing, I can just tell them to Google Marisa Wright and my stuff comes up on the front page.

It's not the most exciting name, though!

39. Mark Knowles profile image60

And when my mum was angry - which was fairly often with 3 boys - it would go "Mark !", I mean "Michael !" I mean "Matthew !" I mean....... "You !"
    big_smile

1. ripplemaker profile image77
      ripplemakerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL My dad does that a lot.  And when he starts saying the wrong name, we'd all chime in to say the correct one.  He ends up with his lecture with "aw" and we'd end up laughing instead.

40. elisabeth reid profile image65
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

Mine is a pseudonym that I use on occasion...only dumb me....I misspelled it.  It was supposed to be 'reyd'....the first time I tried to sign in here after I joined, I thought I'd lost my mind.

ANYWAY...the pseudonym comes from a form of my first name, which is really just, plain 'Lisa' and an anagram of my surname.

Pretty basic.  As long as one can remember how to spell.

41. kpfingaz profile image66
    kpfingazposted 16 years ago

kpfingaz - n. fingers use to type on cell phone keypads.

In like 2002 - 2003 before I knew much about the internet, I used to be on cell phone chat rooms. No one used their real name and I was known as 'X' but I always used to send each message as X aka {some new name}.

One of the names I came up with was 'kipad fingaz' (as in keypad fingers) which I thought was a really cool name and I used it over and over. Kipad fingaz because I used my fingers to type messages on the cell phone keypad.

Then when I came online and I had to sign up for a lot of stuff I didn't think my real name should be used so I shortened it to 'kpfingaz' and used it on mostly everything from then on including here at hubpages.

My real name is...well lets just say I use Jay a lot these days. Don't want all my friends googling my real name then asking me a whole lot of questions. wink

42. makemoneyonline profile image38
    makemoneyonlineposted 16 years ago

I have no clue big_smile

43. Rapidwriter profile image60
    Rapidwriterposted 16 years ago

I was bored with the short frm of my name, Shah (from the unpronouncable Shahrukh), so I
    adapted a phrase from the blurb of a course in which I share my Rapid Writing techniques.  I must say I felt quite odd at first about having pseudonym at all - but I've grown into it now.

44. granite_butterfly profile image53
    granite_butterflyposted 16 years ago

Good morning Fellow Hubbers!

I chose my name rather simply by combining attributes of my self, the granite representing strength and endurance while the butterfly represents gentle, loving, compassionate, dreamer and creativity...
    And I love butterflies, too. smile

45. beta1070 profile image59
    beta1070posted 16 years ago

I had cruel parents.

46. beta1070 profile image59
    beta1070posted 16 years ago

Oh, say something, someone, I hate it when I kill the chat.

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 16 years agoin reply to this

lol @ the Simpsoms.
      Me too......Oh noo yikes i think ive set myself up for a "kill chat".. lol

Ummm errr. has anyone done a thread on how they chose their profile picture? if so can you diretc me please n e 1?
      smile

Zsuzsy.. i liked this thread..

47. MaxPowers profile image59
    MaxPowersposted 16 years ago

The Simpsons smile

48. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

Jewel was the nickname my Dad called me. I haven't heard it since he died in 1977, so combining it with my favorite precious stone and my desire to stay anonymous...when I get rich and famous...I want to be rich...but not famous! I am just a middle age woman, starting over, in a way, now that my kids are grown and on their own. Not ready to share myself with the world yet.

49. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 16 years ago

I use my real name, since I'm a freelancer and direct some potential clients to check out online sites where I've written to.

Perhaps one day, if I ever decide to get into experimental fiction, I'll use a pseudonym just for fun.

50. BrainFire profile image66
    BrainFireposted 16 years ago

I chose my name based on the act of "Thinking". It actually required, and prompted the "Firing" of "Brain Cells" to come up with my name "BrainFire"... although none of my close friends we're the least bit surprised...lol... I also liked it's frequency too. It reflects who I am. The picture I used is a photo of a Camp Fire my husband built, and then snapped the pic. It has so many strange faces in it, and it became a special pic to us. It helped me think up the name. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)